Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 62: Hearts and Minds

Nearly half a year had come and gone. Lesatan had been given the crown, but as he finished his classes at university, his mother worked in the capital as queen regent. Lesatan had left Armand as head of the student council as matters of the country needed his attention when his mother simply would not do.

Lenore had taken her place as an adviser, and secretly as his spymaster. Her work was to continue to grow the spy network for her brother, and ensure that the old spy organization that tried to kill Lesatan was dismantled entirely. Of course, Damek left very little information on how he had contacted them. He only admitted to being part of the group and very little else.

Lenore stood next to Enoch as they watched Lesatan read over several scrolls. Armand was at a council meeting and could not be here for their now King.

Lesatan was sitting at his desk and dropped the paper onto his desk before looking up at Lenore. “If these protests continue how fast will our metal reserves deplete?”

“It is estimated that we have enough for four to six months.” She informed him and watched him nod his head. “I think we should work with the miners to come to a quick conclusion that will benefit both sides. Mondues are stubborn but they can see reason.”

“Exactly, they are Mondues. They understand nothing, but force. We should send a platoon in and end this once and for all.” Enoch suggested.

“Not exactly a way that wins hearts and minds for a new King.” She argued in return.

Enoch snorted, “Hearts and minds.” He scoffed. “He should be showing them his strength and power. Not hiding behind negotiators.”

“Lenore make the negotiations happen.” Lesatan ended the argument before the two went head to head again.

From the courtyard outside several voices came together to call their attention away from the debate and Lenore moved towards the window to look out. “Lesatan.”

Standing up, Lesatan walked over to the window and upon seeing what his sister had seen, he rushed out of the room. Lenore followed quickly behind him and Enoch moved to the window to see what was occurring.

“Out of the way!” Lesatan ordered as the group of people amassed. The people moved to the side and the new King came to stand in front of her.

Piera smiled as she held her child in her hands and watched as Lesatan looked between her and the child. “It's a daughter.” She told him. Piera had not named the child yet, as it was the King's royal duty to do so.

Placing his hands on her shoulders, Lesatan kissed her forehead. “Are you alright?” He asked not noticing Xyles standing beside her.

Piera nodded her head. “I was so frightened for you.”

“Let's go inside.” He placed one hand around her shoulder and began to walk her into the dorm.

Xyles spotted Lenore and came to stand in front of her. “We were a long ways out. The news took some time.”

“You did well.” Lenore told him with a grin.

“Where is Krius? I have missed him.” He immediately asked after her praise, but watched as the grin faded from her lips. “Was it with honor?” He asked before she could say anymore.

“The highest. He died protecting his king.” She watched the large man before her as he tried to think of anything to say.

“I... please, excuse me.” He did not wait for her to give her blessing and simply hurried away from the group.

Lenore watched him and then the thought of running to South Dorm to tell them the good news came to mind. For a brief moment, she thought how excited Ophelia would be to hear the news, before reality came back to haunt her.

---***---

Routine sat in his dorm room unaware that his sister had returned to the university. Instead, he sat on the bed with his desk on his lap and several letters upon it.

They were words written from several women that his mother suggested he marry. Every single one of them explained their hobbies and tried to sell themselves as perfect wives for the one day ruler of the Souchans. It was nearly too much to bear as it seemed his parents were more concerned about him finding a bride than whether or not his sister would ever return.

In truth, he wouldn't dare choose a bride based on her letters alone. He knew his position would pull all sorts. Families that wanted high status for having a daughter married to him. Females who wanted the money and power that came from being his wife. He didn't dislike their desire for wealth and power after all it was his job to continue to gain power and wealth for his family. What he disliked was the letters that acted as if they had no interest in it. Telling him how they sew, love to read, and are well versed in social situations as if they were groomed to seduce him into agreeing to meet them.

As he sighed, Harona passed by in the hallway. She overheard him and stuck her head into the room as the door was already open.

“Routine?” She asked.

He turned his attention to her. “Yes?”

“I heard you sigh. Is everything alright?” She stepped into the room entirely and folded her hands in front of herself.

Harona had noticed how much changes he had made when he was engaged to Ophelia. She wondered why he no longer talked down to others, and he seemed more open about his life. She thought perhaps he saw her as a friend, and she decided to test the theory in that moment.

“My sister is still missing, but my parents only seem to worry if I have selected a bride yet.” He motioned towards the letters on his desk.

“It must be difficult because you had two failed engagements already. They must worry constantly about heirs and the future of their family with your sister missing.” Harona was trying her best to help him see things from his parents' side though she did agree with him.

“I suppose.” He sighed. “Are you engaged?”

She shook her head, “My mother wants to keep the fortress, and therefore she wants me to marry someone that is not the heir and can help me there.” She chuckled, “It would make her quite angry to know I plan to marry someone above such a station. Do you want to pretend we are engaged so your family will leave you be?”

Routine chuckled slightly, “Lenore and Ophelia both offered the same. It is quite interesting how that offer continues to be made to me.”

“Oh, I apologize. It was just a thought not to be taken seriously.” She waved off her somewhat serious suggestion.

He slowly shook his head, “No, I thank you for the offer. I accept. Though I wonder if my family would believe me at this point. Though, I suppose neither of my engagements ended because they were discovered to be fraudulent. Lenore was a redundancy in the marriage, and Ophelia was... taken from us.”

Harona nodded, “Well, if it helps I can fill the role until you find someone you might actually want to marry or until you leave university.”

“Thank you, Harona. I shall write my parents. I believe they will accept the engagement as you are of higher standing than Ophelia.” He stood up and placed the desk on the bed.

“Then I shall inform my mother as well.” She stepped out of the room and into the hallway. Her heart slightly aflutter at the arrangement just struck.

---***---

Jolon held a letter in his hands as he walked into the dorm hallway and made his way to the second floor. When he arrived at Saena's room, he tapped gently on the door with his index knuckle. He was nervous after what he had read in the letter.

“Saena, it's me.” He said and waited for a response.

The door slowly slide open, “That was fast. Did your letter finally come?” She asked as he had been talking about receiving a letter from his parents for over a month. It was unusual that he would be so anxious to receive one, but he had gone to get them from the mail room each morning instead of waiting for them to be delivered that evening.

He held up the letter, but there was no smile or sign of happiness on his face. Instead, he looked upset or perhaps on edge. “May I come in?”

She stepped aside and allowed him to enter. Leaving the door open, she watched him briefly look out the window and then turn to look at her. “Is something wrong?”

He cleared his throat, “I have been speaking to my mother and father.”

She stared at him blankly.

“About you, that is. I have been telling them all about you, and what you are accomplishing here. I have also told them about our relationship.” He watched as her face slowly contorted to that of fear and anxiety.

“Jolon, why would you do that? Why would you tell them anything? Especially without letting me prepare myself or agreeing to it. Do you know what people of your standing could do to someone of the servant's guild? What you parents station allows them to be capable of?” She put both of her hands to her face and covered it completely.

He waited for her to calm herself down.

After a moment, Saena dropped her hands. “What did they say? What have they said?” She asked with a shaken voice.

“They were not pleased at first, of course. In fact, they demanded that I end everything with you immediately.” He informed her.

Tear began to fill her eyes.

“I discussed it further with them, and they have agreed to meet with you. They have also agreed that they would assist in bringing you into the Thatcher's Guild.” He watched her eyes quickly begin to dry.

“What?” She wiped the tears away with the back of her hand. “You do not plan to stay in the Thatcher's Guild, so why would I want to join it?”

He chuckled, “Routine has agreed to sponsor me in joining the Souchan and has even promised to find me a place amongst his council. However, that will not happen until we are all graduated and he has taken his father's place. I am to understand his father plans to retire shortly after he graduates. However, it would be easier for us if you were part of the Thatcher's Guild to marry.”

Saena stared at him for several moments. “Marry?”

He nodded, “I am not asking now, but once I leave here you will be on your own. It would make things a great deal easier for you if you were my wife, and not a member of the Servant's Guild.” He stood nervously as he seemed to think over what he was saying. She was silent for several long minutes and the more silence that was between them the more he expected a negative reply.

“When? I mean when would we be married?” Saena asked.

“My parents want to meet you during the long break. They want you to come home with me, and then if all goes well they will bring you into the Thatcher's Guild. Soon after, we would marry if they agree which they should since they know why I am requesting to bring you into the Guild.” He explained and still there was no emotion on her face.

Stepping forward, Saena wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly. It wasn't a confession of love in order to marry her, but she already knew he loved her. He wanted to protect her and that was far more pragmatic. Somehow, she found that even more romantic.

---***---

Lesatan held his infant daughter as he sat on the bench at the end of his bed. Piera sat beside him and smiled as he looked down at her sleeping face.

Piera had told him about the cabin and about their long sea voyages. She told him how she had been alone in a room with a strange woman when it came time to give birth. She had wanted nothing more in that moment for Lesatan to have come in afterward, and kissed her forehead. In those moments, it had been one of the greatest moments of her life coupled with one of the most sorrowful.

Lesatan had told her of his journey as well. He explained how Remus and Jolon had gone with him, and how they bounced around for several days before they too were trapped in a cabin in the woods. The agent feared that they would have to move soon if no news came, and he was planning to take them overseas.

He had also told her about Ophelia's murder, and to his surprise she had heard of it on the return journey. Her eyes still swelled with tears as she thought of her friend; the pain fresh in her heart.

“I thought of you everyday.” Lesatan told her. “For a time, I wondered if you had given birth and then as time went by, I wondered if it had gone smoothly. I considered what my child would be, but I never once thought of naming the child.”

Piera chuckled, “She's very well behaved. Sleeps right through the night, and doesn't really cry. She fusses when she is uncomfortable, but she is a great deal easier than what my mother told me I was like as a baby.”

He smiled down at his daughter. “I was afraid I might never get a chance to meet this child. I feared what might have happened to you.”

“In truth, I was afraid that you would be disappointed it was not a son.” She told him and watched him look up at her.

Lesatan smirked, “I just wanted you two to return to me. What the child's gender is was inconsequential.”

They both fell into silence for several moments as Lesatan played with the tiny hand with his index finger.

“I am surprised that Lenore did not come in to hold her.” Piera felt slighted by her friend and now sister.

“She knows the baby isn't going anywhere, this time. I have no doubt she is rushing to her dorm to tell your brother of your return.” He smiled as he looked up at her.

Piera nodded and calmed as she realized there was no offense meant. “Where is your mother?”

“She returned to the capital to act as Queen Regent. I am sure she will be down here within a few days after receiving news of your return.” He informed her as he stood up and began to walk around with the infant still in his arms.

She watched him as he seemed to dance with her for a moment.

“Lilith?” Lesatan spoke out loud and said the name over and over before shaking his head. “Maybe after my mother? Aletta?” He shook his head once more, “Strange to have to scold someone with my mother's name.”

Piera chuckled.

“How about Lenore? I yelled enough at Lenore that the name rolls off the tongue quite well when angry.” He joked. “What is your name little girl?”

“I have a suggestion.” Piera told him.

He turned to look at her serious expression. “Yes, I would have thought you would. Very well, I agree.”

She smiled at him and stood up to stand beside him. Kissing his cheek gently, they both returned to cooing over their child.

---***---

The monument was made of marble. It depicted a woman with a large smile on her face and her arms wide open as if she was inviting you in for a hug. The plaque read simply, “Ophelia Romanus. The woman that held us all close and together.” It then gave a date for her birth and death.

Remus had been coming to this spot everyday since he had returned. He had been surprised to find the monument and had to investigate to discover who had placed it there. Upon first seeing it, he had burst into tears as he had meant to come to this very spot in an effort to destroy it as much as he could. Instead, he found it made beautiful.

Picking up a red leaf from the ground, Remus placed it at the woman's foot as an offering. Today was a cool day with slight breeze, so he knew his offering wouldn't last very long at her feet.

Sitting down in front of the statue, it's base was as tall as he was at that point. He began to look up at the statue, he smiled, then frowned, and finally began to fight his tears.

“I thought when we caught Damek, I would feel better. I thought when he died, I would feel better. I thought as days passed, I would feel better.” He swallowed down a lump in his throat. “I am not feeling any better, Ophelia.”

He was quite for a moment before he continued, “Soon, I will graduate, and I won't be able to come here anymore. I don't even know why I want to as this is a spot of a horrific evil that happened to someone I love very much. It's such a morbid place, and if you are listening you are probably asking yourself why this spot?” He half chuckled and half whimpered a cry.

A gentle breeze blew through and upset some of the leaves on the ground. It made the tears in his eyes feel cold, and the leaf at her foot moved slightly but did not fall to the ground as he momentarily feared it would.

“I really hope you are listening, but I guess I'll never know. There is something I wanted to say out loud for a while now, but I didn't think I had the courage to really speak about it to anyone without falling apart.” Remus cleared his throat, “I picked you... in the end. I wrote my father and told him that I didn't want to be his heir that I wanted to follow you to the fortress. I never was able to tell you.” Tears slowly streamed from his eyes and he did not have the mind to wipe them away. “I'm not really sure how I am suppose to move forward. I always pictured you with me, and now I have to see a different future. It's too bizarre to imagine.”

He took a moment to steady himself and wipe the tears away from his eyes. He looked back up at the statue and took a deep breath. “If Anton is with you, tell him I miss him. I suppose you can say the same to Krius.” He smirked briefly, “He never liked me, but he proved to be a good man in the end. I should have tried harder to know him.”

He licked his bottom lip, “A life lesson, I suppose.” He seemed to think for a moment as if he was trying to find another subject that would allow him to linger. “I was afraid my father might try to find me a fiancee, but after I told him about you and our relationship, he seems to be giving me a wide berth. I don't have the mind to even speak of such a thing to another woman.” He swallowed hard.

“You know, I am rather pissed off.” He grumbled. “It looks like everyone else has mourned you and moved on with their lives. Some days, it feels like you were never here at all to them, and then I have to tell myself that is what is supposed to happen. I can hear your voice telling me that it's healthy and the right thing to do. I still get angry with them, or perhaps I am jealous. I never could tell the difference between the two.”

He sighed audibly once more before standing up. “I'll return tomorrow. Though, you are probably telling me that coming to this spot will only keep me upset, aren't you? Too bad, I want to be upset right now. I'll remain upset until the day I wake up and don't get excited to see you today, then have all my hopes dashed as I remember the truth.”

In the woods, Lenore listened to Remus speak and watched as he walked away from the statue. She walked over to it, and picked the leaf up that Remus had placed at the woman's feet. She smiled gently as she set it back down and tears filled her eyes.

“I miss you.” She whispered before heading back to the dorm.

---***---

Lenore had called everyone into the courtyard, but had taken a couple seconds to put herself back together. Everyone stood around as she smiled gently while looking at Routine.

“Piera has returned.” She told him. “She has a daughter.”

Routine said nothing else and simply left, presumably to go to the Royal Dorms. Everyone watched him disappear down the dirt path before turning their attentions back to Lenore.

Harona and Saena started asking questions about the baby all at once, while Jolon wondered where she had been this entire time. Santh remained silent with his arms folded, and Remus looked completely uninterested, or perhaps he was hurt. It was hard to tell as his face remained blank.

“Stop. I can't understand any of you.” Lenore spoke over the four voices with humor in her voice. “I do not know much. The baby is healthy and so is Piera. As soon as I found out, I knew I had to tell Routine.”

“Does she have a name yet?” Harona asked.

Lenore shook her head, “I imagine that Piera has been calling her something all this time, but my brother has to be the one to announce it and agree to it. So, even if I did know a name, I couldn't tell you.”

“A new princess this is all so exciting. I do not know why I expected her to return with the new crown prince.” Saena told her friend that was standing beside her.

“I know, I expected that as well.” Harona replied. “I did not even think that we could get a princess. I wonder why that was?”

Jolon interrupted the conversation, “When I was with him, he was musing one day about what his child would be. He said he would like a daughter.”

“He did?” Saena asked with surprise in her voice.

“Yes, he said he wanted a daughter so his sister could teach her to be strong and fight against the world. That he needed more women like her in his life.” Remus added and everyone looked at Lenore.

She gave a brief smile.

“That's such a nice thought.” Harona finally replied in her stead.

Saena agreed with a nod.

“I think Piera will be just fine at teaching her how to be a strong woman.” Lenore told them and watched as they returned to talking about the child. The gentle smirk on her face slowly faded as she looked at Remus who was stranding stoically near by.

She thought of what she had just seen and heard, and wondered how this news would make him feel. Would he feel happy that Ophelia's sacrifice was well or would he feel bitter towards Piera? She supposed that only time would tell her.

Suddenly, a lump appeared in her throat as she realized she was growing close to tears. Not wanting the others to see them, she left without a word to go to her dorm room.

She caught Santh's eye and it confused him that she would leave this happy conversation in such a rush. Without excusing himself, he entered into the dorm as well to follow after her.

“I bet she will be beautiful and smart just like her mother.” Harona said.

“I hope we get to see the announcement. I would very much like to be there.” Saena told her with joy.

“Ophelia would be very happy.” Remus finally spoke before he moved away from the group and started down the dirt path.

All three cheerful voices stopped speaking, and they all understood Remus' pain. He meant what he said, but he also meant what he did not say. There was no happiness in this moment for him. Just pain and remembering.

---***---

Lenore sat on her bed in her dorm room, her elbows on her knees and her hands folded in front of her. She stared blankly at her feet; placed firmly on the ground. The room was silent as she tried to cry as she had done earlier by the memorial statue, but nothing would come to her.

The door to her room slid open and Santh stepped inside. He stood in silence for several seconds as she did not acknowledge him.

“Is something the matter?” Santh asked finally and watched her slowly raise her head to look him in the eye.

A bitter chuckle fell from her lips, “I saw Piera and the first thing I thought was to run to the dorm to tell Ophelia. I knew she would be so very excited, and then reality hit me. I left without saying anything to anyone to come here and tell Routine.”

Walking over to the bed, Santh sat down beside her. Reaching out, he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her towards him. Lenore laid her head on his shoulder and sighed.

He kissed the top of her head before speaking. “Sometimes, I expect to come into your room and see Ophelia laying on the bed. She still haunts these halls in our memories.”

“I forgot.” Lenore told him.

“You forgot what?” Santh felt her lift her hand up and touch his chest.

A lump formed in her throat as the words began to form. “I forgot to mourn my friend. I think all this time... I thought she would just appear again like she was just away for a time. I realized upon seeing Piera that she will never come back.” Tears started to form in her eyes.

“We had to put aside our grief in order to stop Damek. It wasn't an easy thing to do, and when the time came to finally grieve, it was difficult. Everyone else around had already grieved, and now it must be done alone.” He could fell the moisture from her tears on his shirt.

“I saw Remus today.” She tried to control her voice so that he couldn't hear her tears, but Santh already knew. “He was sitting in front of the memorial. He is heartbroken still. He thought getting his revenge on Damek would stop his pain that it would all pass. It seems, however, that the anger was the only thing preventing his pain and once that was removed all that remained is the burn of grief.”

“Shall we hold a memorial for her with everyone, perhaps that grieving and remembering together might help?”

Lenore did not reply immediately and he watched her lift her hands up to wipe the tears from her eyes. He grabbed her hand and folded his fingers into her own.

“Go ahead and cry. I won't tell anyone.” He kissed the top of her head once more.

She was silent for several seconds before the sobs began. “If I had known, I never would have brought her here. I never would have become her friend. I never would have allowed Lesatan to force me to leave her, and she never would have worked for Piera. She never would have known the secret. She would still be alive.”

Santh pulled away and looked into the tear filled face of the woman he loved. “If you hadn't known her, you wouldn't have become the person that cared about this place or any of us. You would have just kept your dedication to building up the spy network, and drinking yourself into a drunk stupor at night.”

“Maybe that would have been for the best.”

Reaching his hand up, he brushed the hair from her face and cupped her cheek. “Ophelia, no matter how you look at it, would have eventually become your friend. She was friends with Anton and Jolon, and she would have kept coming here.”

Lenore dropped her face into her hands. “Anton and Krius, I forgot to mourn them too. What is wrong with me?”

“Nothing. You had to protect your brother, and then you had to act as queen regent while attending school. During that you had to deal with the trial and the student council. There is no time for crying or mourning when others need you to lead them.” He rubbed her back. “You did all you could, Lenore. Our friends, they know that. They don't need your tears. They need you to protect what they died trying to protect.”

---***---

Sitting in Armand's study, Enoch and he both ate a lunch at his desk. The news of Piera's return had been happy and the two had talked themselves into silence once there was nothing more to say.

Enoch picked at the piece of pork he had on his plate as well as the olives, before looking up at his friend who also seemed to be playing with his food. “It still feels so strange to eat with just you. I preferred the uncomfortable silence of Krius staring me down whenever I said something he didn't agree with.”

Armand chuckled and leaned back slightly in his chair, “Are you saying that you feel uncomfortable being comfortable?”

“It's true.” He chuckled along with his friend before sighing and returning to pick at his food.

“Perhaps you just miss your friend.” Armand told him when he could see that Enoch was still very upset.

“Probably.” He replied and tried to eat some of the meat before him. Eventually, he tossed his fork onto the plate making a loud clanking sound. “Why do you think that Krius didn't bring us into his plans with the Princess? Why did she not speak with us? Why did we only learn of everything once it was over and we were staring at our friend's dead body?”

Armand gently set his fork down and placed both elbows on the desk on either side of his plate. He folded his hands and placed his chin on them. “There was no part in which we could play. It protected us to know nothing. It protected Lesatan to know nothing.”

The other man frowned at the reply and still looked unsatisfied. “I would have died for him if need be. You realize that? Yet, still I was left out of the plan entirely.”

“Perhaps we were needed alive.” He smirked at his friend, “We could always ask the Princess, but I know what she would say to us.”

“Yeah, what's that?” Enoch looked as if he was getting more annoyed by the second.

“We were unnecessary.”

Leaning back in his chair, Enoch seemed to accept that answer. “Commoners can fight for our now King, but we weren't good enough.”

“We aren't much of fighters, Enoch. We are more talkers, and even then you have severe foot in mouth disease at times. Coupled with an inability to comprehend some thoughts.” He teased his friend and chuckled to ensure Enoch knew he meant it lightheartedly.

Standing up, Enoch walked over to the fireplace and stared at the unburnt logs. “Needed or not, we should have been beside our friend. He should not have died alone.”

“He did not die alone. Anton Pugh was with him. If I know Krius, he followed the Mondue codes of conduct to never die beside a stranger. I promise you that Anton became his closest friend in those last moments. Though, we will never know how they played out.” Armand knew that Enoch had not been himself lately and had suspected this had something to do with it.

Enoch turned to face him, “I should go. Authin should be here soon enough. I shouldn't wish to get in your way.”

Armand frowned at his words. He always knew that Enoch had a suspicion about him, but never heard him outright say anything. “Very well. I shall see you later.” He decided to act as if those words did not bother him at all. He hoped that if he acted ignorant Enoch would say nothing again in the future.

Picking up his plate, Enoch looked at his friend. “We will be leaving here soon. We will have to be real adults and play by the games of society. It will be a difficult road because I can be daft, but yours will be much harder. Be careful.”

Armand swallowed, “I will.”

---***---

Lenore and Santh walked hand in hand down to the stream, where Santh put a blanket down and they both sat quietly for several moments as they watched the water. She had calmed down after a long cry and now wanted to feel differently for the moment. She suspected she wasn't done mourning her friends, but knew she couldn't always be in a state of grief.

Looking at the handsome man beside her, she could feel her heart grow warm but in an instant it tightened in pain. Every day that passed meant they were closer to graduation, and she did not know what they would mean for their relationship. She did not want her quiet companion to leave her, but she knew she couldn't make him stay.

Santh was a man of action, who never seemed bothered to get his hands dirty or even bloody. He was a much different man than anyone she would be forced to marry. The thought of him not following behind her on another dangerous or idiotic mission was too painful.

Reaching out, she brushed some hair behind his ear and he turned to look at her with a slight grin. She smiled back and leaned forward to peck his lips.

“We should actually do something this next long break.” Lenore told him. “I am certain the dorm won't burn to the ground without us for a few weeks.”

He chuckled deeply, “I do not believe I have left this school or the hamlet since I first stepped foot on its grounds.”

Lenore slowly nodded her head, “Neither have I.” She sighed, “We should plan something. What do you say?”

He smirked as he lifted up his hand to cup her face and slowly pull her lips towards his own. “Whatever you wish.” He kissed her gently.

“You two could come with Piera and I to the summer castle.” A voice spoke behind them.

The pair instantly jumped to their first and stared at Lesatan, who was standing with his arms crossed. Both felt uneasy that Lesatan had caught them in such a situation, and had no idea what he would do from this point.

“Horseback riding on the beach has a certain charm and romantic feel when you are with someone you love.” He told them and realized the look of shock on their faces. “Oh, please, as if you two hide it that well. I have been watching glances from across the room and escaped moments by the two of you for months now.”

Lenore cleared her throat, “What are you doing here?”

“I came to tell you personally that we will announce our child's name in four days time. I will also be giving out the appropriate accolades. I have summoned several others from outside the university.” He dropped his hands to his side.

“Why come all the way out here? You could have waited until I arrived at the dorms tomorrow.” Lenore looked over at Santh, who was staring at Lesatan stoically.

“In truth, Piera and the baby were tired from their long journey, and quite frankly I am restless with excitement. I did not know who else to share my excitement with, Lenore.” He looked around the woods and at the stream briefly. “Besides, I have never understood your fascination with this dorm, but I can understand it more now. Out in the woods away from everyone else. Actual peace and quiet.”

Lenore smiled at her brother when she realized he was asking for attention and companions. “Do you like mead?”

“I do not believe I have ever tried it.” He told as he nervously clapped his hands together.

“Ophelia's mother sends us mead and pastries from time to time. I think it is to keep us close to her. Perhaps, you would like to try some? Celebrate Piera's return with your healthy daughter?”

Lesatan smiled at his sister's offer. “I have missed Remus and Jolon.”

Walking over to her brother, Lenore tossed her arm around his shoulder. “Come, I am sure they have missed you as well. One day, you'll have to tell me what the three of you did together.”

“Argued, mostly.” He laughed. “Remus loves to give speeches about how I should treat you better.”

“Tell me about it.” Santh mumbled from behind. “You should have heard Ophelia's damning words.”

---***---

Days passed and the dorm friends found themselves standing in the Royal Dorm's dining hall. Odelia had arrived and received hugs from everyone, and shortly after Nolan and Lena Pugh entered the hall. They looked annoyed to have come so far for a royal, and glared at Lenore. She knew it was because she had not released Anton's ashes to them.

Xyles and Santh spoke to each other in the distance, while Remus, Jolon, and Routine stood silently nearby. Everyone knew there was a large crowd outside waiting to hear the announcement of the new princess' name.

The door to the dining hall opened and Lesatan, Lenore, and Piera holding the infant entered. Piera was dressed in an elegant blue gown, while Lesatan wore his formal clothing and a cloak as well. Lenore took her place amongst the crowd and smiled briefly at Santh.

“Before I announce my child's name, I must insist on handing out the accolades that each of you deserve. I know it has taken me some time to do this, and perhaps you thought I had forgot you. However, I simply could not do anything until the return of my Queen.” Lesatan explained. “Princess Lenore Cromwell, step forward.”

She came to stand before her brother, slightly away from the rest of the group where he could whisper to her, but also address the room.

“Lenore is to be named my high adviser for her devotion, insurmountable wisdom, and forethought.” He placed his hands on her shoulder.

Lenore moved back into the crowd, but she also knew the conversation she had with her brother before entering into the hall. She had also been named spymaster, a secret that would be kept from the rest of the world.

“Lord Remus Grey and Jolon Marsh, please step forward.” Lesatan ordered, and the two came to stand before him as Lenore had. “The two of you left everything behind to come with me. You were my friends in darkness, and my protectors in uncertainty. To you both, I name you Guardians of the King. You will always have an honored place in my court.” He watched them bow before they returned to the crowd.

“Lord Byron Nicoletti, you needn't step forward.” Lesatan watched Routine bow his head briefly. “Your actions could have harmed your position amongst the Souchan, therefore I will bestow no honorific upon you to cause suspicion. However, know that you are considered a friend to the throne, and I will not forget what you have done.”

Routine nodded his head and felt relieved.

“Santh Aguilar, step forward.” Lesatan watched the large man move to stand before him. “Your father was a hero to this country, and you have become mine. I understand that the titles and land my father bestowed upon your father are rejected by his son. Lenore tells me it is because you did not earn it in part, and in another part simply anger. I, however, feel that you have earned all that your father left you, and it shall be given to you.”

Santh opened his mouth to object, but Lesatan leaned in to whisper. “Please remember that it is my permission you need to seek in order to marry my sister. I would choose your next words carefully.”

“Thank you, my King.” Santh bowed.

“Also, I grant you a place amongst my advisers. Xyles is tasked with finding an heir to replace his son, and he has chosen you.”

Santh bowed once more before he returned to his position amongst the crowd. He caught Lenore's eyes and she gently smiled at him.

“Nolan Pugh, Lena Pugh, and Xyles La Croix, I regret that I can do nothing to bring your children back to you. They will be named Guardians of the King, and their remains shall be placed in the Hall of Heroes.” After he announced this, Nolan stepped forward with a deep frown.

“I object, milord. My house does not agree with the Royals, and therefore we do not want him buried on Royal land, Please return him to us!” Nolan's hands slowly turned into fists.

Lesatan remained calm, despite the tension in the room. “It would appear your son disagreed based on the fact that he laid down his life for a Royal.”

“A disgraceful choice.” Nolan mumbled.

With a slight smile that showed more understanding than arrogance, Lesatan spoke softly. “You should set aside your anger for us, and see your son for the knight he truly was. Please, go with my blessing.”

Nolan and his wife glared at him briefly before exiting the hall.

Lesatan turn his attention to Odelia, and moved to stand in front of her. He took her hands into his own. “Lady Odelia Romanus, my wife was close to your daughter as was my sister. Her death has shaken my family to its core, as no doubt it has done to your own. I understand why she insisted to remain here for four years. Therefore, I grant you back the Watcher's Fortress and all the titles and lands that come with it.”

Odelia's eyes began to fill with tears.

“I can not bring your daughter back, but I can ensure that her goals are finally met.” Lesatan smiled at her and was surprised when she lunged forward and hugged him tightly.

“Thank you. My daughter worked so very hard to return what her father had lost. She would be most pleased.” She kissed his cheek, stepped back and seemed to return to herself. She wiped her kiss away from him. “I am sorry...”

Lesatan lifted his hand to stop her. “Hugs from Ophelia's mother are always welcomed. Now, before I announce my child's name to the world. I would like to do it amongst all of my friends.”

Piera stepped forward with the infant in her arms, and handed her to Lesatan. He turned to the group, but mostly to Odelia. “May I introduce everyone to Princess Ophelia Cromwell.”

Lenore wrapped her arm around Santh's waist as she tried to fight back tears, and he held her in return.

Remus also had to turn away from the crowd to hide his emotion.

Odelia, on the other hand, allowed her tears to flow as she moved the blanket away from the infant's face. “Hello, Lady Ophelia.”