Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 63: The End

It would be the tenth birthday of Princess Ophelia Cromwell that day. The servants ran around the castle as they tried to ready the banquet, but outside in the rose garden was a smaller celebration waiting to happen.

Friends would be coming to the capital in order to celebrate the birth of their Princess. These friends would dance at the ball as well, but a very special day in the garden awaited them. There would be no formalities just friendship and celebration.

Lesatan sat on a blanket next to his wife as he watched his eight year old son, Krius, try to teach his five year old, Anton, how to properly tie a knot to his kite. Ophelia stood quietly beside her brothers as she watched them bicker.

“You'll solve nothing by arguing.” Ophelia finally spoke the words she had heard her mother say many times before that moment.

“He isn't tying it right.” Krius whined as he tried to pull the kite away from his younger brother.

“It's mine!” Anton snapped.

Ophelia sighed an annoyed sigh, and gently pushed Krius away from the kite. “It's his kite. Let him tie it whichever way he wants to tie it.”

“He'll lose it in the trees.” Krius argued, but Ophelia ignored him and watched as her youngest brother went on his way to try to get the kite to fly in the low winds.

Lesatan smiled at his daughter and looked at his youngest child taking a nap in his wife's arms. Two year old, Lenore had been named after his sister, of course. They all called her Nori in order to prevent confusion between the two.

He remembered Lenore being so touched that she could barely speak a word when he told her of the name decision. Of course, he had wanted a son to name after his father, after he honored the men who died for him that fateful night, but Lenore had gotten to the name first.

Lesatan had become a king that most seemed content with, though no one of high position is ever without enemies. Lenore's secret spy network kept everything in the open for him, so he knew who his enemies were and where they lived.

Piera was the People's Queen, who often spent her time helping those in need. The People's Queen was not Lenore though many people had wanted her to be so. However, once the people grew to know Piera most rumblings about Lenore were forgotten.

Piera smiled down at the sleeping blonde in her arms, “I wonder when Lenore and Santh will arrive?”

“Lenore will arrive before everyone else, she has that bad habit of being fashionably early.” Lesatan joked.

With a chuckle, Piera watched as Krius tried to run with the kite while Anton held the string. Ophelia kept telling her younger brothers that there wasn't enough wind today, but they refused to listen to anything she had to say as younger siblings are often prone to do.

“You remembered to invite Odelia?” Lesatan asked and watched as his wife nodded her head. “Should she be sleeping outside like this?”

“She's fine. You worry too much.” Piera smirked. “Worry wart father.”

Lesatan touched her cheek briefly to check if she was too warm even though there was an overcast that day. She felt cool to the touch as there was a slight breeze just not enough to get a kite in the air.

“How long are you going to let them run away and be disappointed?” Piera asked.

He looked out at the children, “They have a long boring banquet ahead of them. It's better if they are tired then racing around causing havoc.”

“It's not going to fly!” Ophelia yelled.

“Bossy little Princess, just like her aunt.” Lesatan mumbled, “Ophelia, let them play!”

Ophelia turned to her father and sighed heavily before returning to the blanket, and sitting down in front of them.

“Are you excited that your cousins are coming?” Piera asked.

Ophelia frowned, “They are all babies.”

Piera and Lesatan chuckled at her response.

“Some day, they will be attending university with you, and they will be your closest allies. Just you watch.” Lesatan to her, but Ophelia looked at him with minor annoyance.

---***---

Lenore spent her time between the castle and the estate that Santh was given. She mostly ran the spy network from the estate since it was less then an hour away from the capital. Her father had apparently wanted to keep Varden close when he found that property for him. Of course, now that meant that she was very close to her brother, but dealing with what she did it was best for messengers to have a shorter distance to travel.

As they pulled up to the castle in their carriage, Lenore looked across at her husband who was sleeping. Two little boys laid against him on either side. Varden was five years old and looked very much like his father. Dark brown hair and a menacing scowl that he made seem easy even at his age. Lucius, who was three years old, had his mother's red hair but he looked a great deal like his father in his face.

Reaching out, she touched Santh's leg and he jerked awake. “We are here.”

He looked down at both boys and then back at her. “How did I end up with both of them?” He asked as they had started out the carriage ride with one boy sitting next to each parent.

Lenore shrugged, “Lucius saw the two of you sleeping and snuggling. He got jealous and wanted to be part of it. Besides, you are a far more comfy pillow than I am.”

The carriage door opened and their driver stepped aside.

“Should we wake them or carry them to a bed?” Santh asked.

Lenore pressed her lips together as she thought for a moment, “Wake them or they will be up all night.”

“Boy, wake up.” Santh shook Varden's shoulder as Lenore leaned forward and took Lucius' hands and gently moved them side to side.

“Wake up, Lucy, wake up.”

“Don't call him Lucy.” Santh mumbled underneath his breath, but loud enough that Lenore could hear, but soft enough that he knew she would ignore it.

Varden sat forward, wiped his eyes, and glared sideways at his father. Lucius slowly opened his eyes and smiled at his mother.

“Are we here?” Lucius asked.

Lenore nodded and the boy quickly jumped out of the carriage with his brother following behind. Varden would want to play with Anton immediately upon arriving, and Lucius enjoyed running around with his slightly younger cousin, Nori. They had been looking forward to this day for over a week.

There arrival was made quiet so there was no one to greet them and the parents simply took their hands of their children to walk into the castle. They knew to meet everyone else in the rose garden.

“Remember to congratulate your cousin on her tenth birthday.” Lenore reminded them.

Varden grunted as he had heard this reminder several times over, but Lucius gave an enthusiastic, “I will!”

They walked through the corridors as they made their way through the castle, and since they did not often come here the boys would stop from time to time to look at the art on the wall. Neither parent minded and simply allowed them to get their fill.

“That's your grandfather.” Lenore told Lucius, “You are named after him.”

“I was named after our grandfather!” Varden barked. “You said I was!”

“Lucius was named after my father, you were named after your father's father. Everyone gets two grandfathers.” She explained while Santh chuckled at the jealousy.

Varden seemed somewhat relaxed by this news but still he held scorn on his face. Sometimes he was far too much like his father. Santh had recently tried a more gentle approach that seemed to be working since Varden was obviously taking on his traits on purpose.

Lucius, however, was a gentle soul nothing like either of his parents.

“Come along, we must greet our hosts.” Santh announced as they continued to walk down the hall.

---***---

Odelia waited in the hallway as Harona put her son down, she had only recently given birth at the castle and they still hadn't chosen a name for the infant yet. Piera had demanded that all the children of her closest friends and family be born in the castle so that the best physicians could care for them. All of Lenore's children were born here as was Saena's daughter.

Harona finally exited after twenty minutes with a apologetic smile on her lips. “I am sorry, he just wouldn't go down.” She explained.

“It is quite alright. Ophelia was never one to sleep easily.” Odelia stepped forward and took Harona by the hands. “I must speak with you.”

She nodded her head, “Of course, should we go inside?” She pointed to the door she had just exited.

Shaking her head, Odelia chuckled. “I wouldn't want all your hard work to go to waste. This isn't so private that it can not be said in a hallway. As you know, I plan on retiring soon, since I named you as my heir, I wonder how you will take care of the fortress when you live so far away.”

Harona slowly nodded her head, “I have wondered that myself. I am beginning to believe I might not be able to do it.”

“Nonsense.” Routine appeared down the hall. “I have told you I would figure it out.” He walked towards them and placed his hand on Harona's shoulder.

“Byron, I had heard that you returned home for a short time.” Odelia swallowed as she was afraid she had been caught having a conversation she shouldn't have had. She had no idea why, it was simply the feeling she had.

“I did, and I returned yesterday.” He slightly grinned, “I indend to move the Souchan head quarters closer. It is causing many to become upset and trying to hold me off, but I will be victorious. A few more months of patience would be appreciated.” He turned his attention to Harona when Odelia gave a slight nod. “How is he?”

“Fine, fussy at first, but asleep.” She lifted her hand and put it on top of her husband's own hand. “I do not think they will allow it to be.”

“It is hard to conduct business when your Guild Leader is not at the designated place, and instead insists you come to another location. They will agree or they will be very inconvenienced many times over.” He pat her shoulder briefly and then dropped his hand to his side.

“That was Lenore's idea, wasn't it?” Harona crossed her arms with a giggle.

Routine feigned a moment of offense. “Why Harona have you no faith in me?”

“It's too conniving for you to have come up with. You prefer to be blunt and straight to the point.” She explain with a grin and Odelia watched them with her own smile.

“Yes, it was Lenore. She also explained that she could get dirt on them and blackmail them all if that doesn't work. So, no need to worry. It will happen.” He assured her and then turned to Odelia. “Have you seen my son?”

Odelia nodded her head, “Briefly, I did not get to hold him. Have you decided on a name at all?”

“All the good ones have been taken.” Routine explained. “This is what happens when you choose to have children later than your friends. They make the tributes that you wish you could have done yourself.”

Harona shook her head, “It wasn't my idea to wait this long.”

“No one said it was. Well, I have to meet with someone briefly, and then I will meet you outside with the others.” He bowed to them both before heading down the hall.

“I may never get used to him being teasing and playful. How did you ever accomplish such a strange change in his personality?” Odelia asked.

Harona shrugged her shoulders. “I think it is because he is no longer sheltered, and he is forced to interact with others that he learned... or perhaps grew.”

“May I sneak in and see the baby?” Odelia whispered and followed behind Harona as she lead her in.

---***---

Walking down the hallway holding hands with the children, Lenore and Santh stopped as Aletta rushed towards them. A smile on her lips and her arms wide open, Varden and Lucius both ran towards her as she kneeled down to hug them. Each one got a big kiss on their cheek followed by several small kisses.

“My boys, you are so much bigger than last I saw you.” Aletta hugged them tightly. “You both are so handsome. I missed you so much.” She told them and they giggled as she playfully tickled their sides.

Lenore walked over to her with a grin on her lips. “They were talking about seeing you as soon as we left our home.”

Aletta had changed her attitude toward Lenore the moment Lesatan returned home. She no longer viewed her as a threat to her son, and instead acted motherly towards her. Lenore learned that Aletta had always wanted a daughter and she wished she had been able to be more of one to her as a child. She had tried to treat her like a daughter, but fear of what she represented held her back from doing so.

Aletta stood up with Lenore's help since her dress did not lend itself well to kneeling. “I have been waiting to see them too.” She ruffled the boy's hair before looking to Lenore, as Santh walked over to stand next to his wife. “Harona had her child. A son.”

“Did she? That's wonderful. Is Byron here?” Lenore watched her nod her head. “He always hoped that his first attempt at a child would be a son.”

Santh chuckled and mockingly spoke in Routine's voice. “That way I won't have to deal with this mating nonsense ever again.”

Aletta and Lenore laughed.

“Grandma?” Varden pulled on her dress lightly, “Do... do you have those...” He made a circle with his hand.

“What is that suppose to mean, dear?” Aletta asked.

Lenore answered, “They are asking about those candies that you had last time they visited, I believe.”

“Oh, the chocolates?” Aletta asked, “Yes, I have a couple in my room for each of you. Why don't you go inside and eat yours.”

The two boys hurried towards the door and disappeared inside. The three adults moved to the door so they could ensure that they were behaving themselves.

“Really, Lenore, your children shouldn't have to reach for the word 'chocolates.' That something a peasant child should do.” Aletta scolded, but seemed to realize what she had just said and quickly changed the subject. “Can you believe that Ophelia is ten years old today?”

Lenore shook her head, “No, I still feel as if Piera and the baby only returned yesterday.”

Santh never cared to talk to Aletta even if she was pleasant enough now as he did not forgive her for the pain she had caused both him and Lenore. No amount of hospitality would win him over, but Lenore insisted that he be pleasant or silent.

“If one good thing came out of the entire mess, it was a new family both by blood and not.” Aletta sighed.

“Indeed.” Lenore looked to Santh briefly, “Aletta, could you watch the children? Santh and I want to go into the underbelly and pay our respects. We haven't done so since Lucius was born.”

“Of course, I will take them out to the garden.” Aletta looked into the room and watched the boys sitting at the bench at the end of her bed. Varden was helping his younger brother unwrap a chocolate.

“Thank you. We won't be long.”

The Queen shook her head, “Take all the time you need. There are many loved ones down there. I go once a week to speak to them all. It can take a moment.”

---***---

Silarius walked with Neava into the university. His daughter looked a great deal like his late son, and he hoped that no one would punish her for the crimes of her brother. She was starting her first year slightly late, as they hadn't returned from abroad quickly enough. Though Silarius knew in his heart he wanted to delay this as long as he could. Neava, on the other hand, desperately wanted to come.

She was a kind woman with gentle eyes and flowing black hair. Her smile was infectious, but Silarius feared that it would not be enough. As they walked onto the university grounds, she looked unafraid.

Damek's body had been burned and his ashes spread at Traitor's Pass. He was glad that Lesatan had been kind enough to cremate him instead of displaying his corpse on the road. Silarius would always love his son, but he knew what had happened to him was just.

“Nervous?” He asked her as other students passed around them.

Neava shook her head delicately, “No. Why would I be?”

“I fear that this may not be easy for you.” He did not want to explain any further for fear of upsetting her.

“You fear people will mistreat me because Damek was my brother?” She watched her father nod his head. “You forget that the King and Princess Lenore are my cousins, father. What harm would come to me?”

“I would not place so much weight in that basket, Neava. He killed their father and framed our now king.” Silarius walked down a path that he had many times in his youth towards the Royal Dorms.

Neava stopped him in the floral court where the South Dorm path would lead away from the main area of the school. “I think there will be words spoken, and it is my task to tell them the truth. My brother was a murderer and he deserved what happened, but that doesn't mean I did not love him. It simply means, justice was served for both our late king and current.”

“And you think that alone will calm the tensions?” He sighed as his heart pounded in his chest. His wife was too nervous to even come to the university for fear of what might occur.

Neava nodded her head with a smile, “Lenore told me to be honest in her last letter, when I asked what I should do. She told me to place my loyalty with the current king and show that I am nothing like my brother. She also told me, that if I am given any trouble at all that I am to write her and she will personally make an appearance.”

Silarius chuckled, “Did she?”

She continued to smile, “Yes, father. I assure you, I am protected here. If I am to take care of your holdings, I must complete my education. You can not worry for me. Lenore and many others dealt with far more difficult times than I will within these walls.”

He swallowed as he placed his hands on her shoulders and looked into her eyes. “If you need anything at all, your mother and I plan to stay at the estate. We would only be a couple days away, so do not hesitate.”

“Lenore says this is a time to be an adult; to rely on peers not parents. However, I will write as often as I can to share my new adventures and friends with you.”

Silarius chuckled and hugged his daughter, “Of course.” Once he was finished with the hug as other students walked around them, he stepped back. “Let me take you to the Royal Dorms before we part.”

“I am not going to the Royal Dorms.” She motioned towards the South Dorm path that now had a sign that told it was not only down the path, but that it housed Princess Lenore that defeated Damek Tahan. “Lenore wrote to South Dorm and asked the residents there to care for me should I need it. They are happy to oblige.”

Silarius frowned briefly as he didn't know if he wanted this for his daughter, but he thought of how well it had treated his niece and he smiled. “Of course, she did.”

---***---

Remus stepped out of his carriage after the driver opened the door, and looked at the large palace in front of him. Carved from white stones, it was always a sight to behold. As he began to walk up the stairs to the guards that were standing in front of the two large entry way doors, he smiled as his brother exited the palace.

Crolus was wearing the Royal Guard armor with a cloak of blue and the Cromwell's lion imprinted upon it. He was the personal guard of Princess Lenore and her family. Although from his letters, it had taken Santh some time to grow used to him. Remus would often tease that he shouldn't have slept with his future employer then.

The two brother hugged each other briefly, before Crolus stepped back. “How is everything back home?”

“Everything is well. Father is enjoying his time away from the guild, as much as I can keep him away that is. I swear he is there every other day telling me that something is not the way he would do it.” Remus chuckled, “I tell him to take his job back if he can do better. Usually, he silences himself once that has been said.”

Remus wore an elaborate outfit with a red doublet made of leather and velvet. He looked very different from his tall, armored brother.

“Yes, he writes me often to complain not only about your decisions with the guild, but that you have shown little interest in finding a bride.” Crolus motioned for him to enter inside so they could walk to the garden.

He began to walk next to his taller brother, “For now, I play. I still have plenty of time to find a bride in the future. I'll know her when I see her.”

Crolus smirked and nodded his head knowingly. Of course, he had high standards, ones that were put in place by the late Ophelia Romanus. “I understand.”

“You know, you should marry and have children just in case.” Remus was only half joking with his brother.

“Actually, there is a lovely girl at the manor. She just recently returned from university, she spent her two years there. Now, she works beside Princess Lenore in running the estate.”

Remus raised an eyebrow, “Santh is not assisting?”

“Santh is more interested in manual labor despite his intelligence.” Crolus explained.

“I see. So, what is her name? What does she look like? Has she shown interest?” Remus pried as they continued their walk down the long corridors.

“Her name is Antonia Viarn. She is the Vairn family's sixth daughter, so they had no place for her. She came to work for Princess Lenore when the Vairn sent a letter asking if she could find a place for their daughter.” He smiled gently as he spoke of her and Remus grinned at him due to it. “She has long brown hair and blue eyes. Her skin is very fair.”

Remus chuckled, “I see you have paid a great deal of attention. Has she shown you attentions?”

Crolus slowly nodded, “I think she might have, but I am not sure if it is appropriate. I should speak to Lenore, I mean, Princess Lenore before I go further.”

“I shall visit soon then.”

“Why would you?” He asked curiously.

Remus shook his head with a smile on his lips, “If I don't, you'll never ask for permission, and I must help you capture this girl of your dreams. It is destiny, I can feel it in my bones!”

“Now, you are just being over dramatic. You just want father to worry less about there being an heir if you remain as you are.” Crolus playfully hissed.

His younger brother did not deny it, and simply shook his shoulders. “It would help me a great deal, and it is not like you aren't getting what you asked for. How has she shown attention to you? Does she touch your arms gently? Does she smile whenever you enter the room? Do you catch her looking at you when she thinks you aren't looking?”

Crolus tried not to blush, “Yes, I think so.”

---***---

Lenore and Santh made their way down the stone corridor. Torches lit their way as they reached the final door that was open during the day. In the hall, candles lit up every single coffin or urn. There was a thin layer of wax on mostly everything.

The hall, itself, was made up of several long corridors of large shelving to hold the remains of those that lay within. The coffins at the bottom and several urns on the higher shelves. At the end of every corridor was a carved map that showed them how to find the exit.

Lenore and Santh made their way through several corridors until they found the stone shelving. Three coffins made of stone laid on the ground. They laid horizontally so they would technically be head to toe. The one at the top was Lucius Cromwell's, followed by Varden Aguilar, and then Krius La Croix. An urn positioned above Krius' coffin belonged to Anton Pugh; his ashes forever with the friend he died beside in battle.

Beside, Anton was a plaque that read:

“Ophelia Romanus. Though, her remains were placed elsewhere by her family; she gave of her own life to protect the Cromwell Royal Family. For that, her memory is placed here within as a martyr and a warrior in the Hall of Heroes.”

However, beside the plaque was an urn with Ophelia's name printed on it. Her mother had eventually brought the urn down and placed it beside the plaque. She had never said anything to anyone about the decision, and so no one discussed it.

“Every time I come here, I swear that I won't become upset like I did last time, and every time it is just a lie I told myself so I wouldn't be afraid to do this.” Lenore told her husband as she wiped a tear away from her eye.

Santh carefully took a moist cloth and began to wipe away the dust from the coffins and the urns. “There could be more down here, if you hadn't acted as quickly as you did and if our friends hadn't sacrificed. In fact, I may have been among them.”

“That doesn't lessen their deaths, even after all these years.” She sighed.

“I didn't expect it would.” He continued to wipe everything down. “Excluding our fathers, they all knew what they were doing and did so willingly to protect that which might not have been worthy of their protection. Lesatan has proved to himself and to them that he was worthy.”

“Your father died much the same.” She reminded him.

“My father knew yours was worthy, but he didn't die for him. He died as revenge for my mother, and forgot entirely to live for his son. I understand why he did it, but I will not forgive him for it.” Santh stood up and began to wipe the dust away from the urns.

Lenore used the back of her hand to remove several tears from her face. “We never talk about any of this in our daily lives. Only when we come here.”

Santh stopped cleaning and turned to his wife before resting a hand on her shoulder. “That is because lives are for the living. This conversation belongs down here; buried with them.”

She nodded as he returned back to tending to the urns. “You know, Aletta probably does that whenever she comes down here. My brother says it is quite often.”

He showed her the rage that had very little dust on it. “I would agree, however it can never be too clean.”

When he was finished, he put the cloth away and stood next to Lenore. Placing his arm around her shoulder, he hugged her against him and kissed the top of her head.

After several moments, Santh spoke. “Come, we have a living Varden, Lucius, Ophelia, Krius, and Anton to deal with upstairs.”

Lenore chuckled slightly, and touched each coffin and urn briefly. “You will never be forgotten.” She whispered before Santh took her hand and helped lead her out.

---***---

Enoch stood in the corridor of the palace and looked over the garden. Children ran around as they played with one another, and adults sat on blankets and chatted. It was a small party for family only before Princess Ophelia's larger, more political one.

He couldn't help but wonder why he and Armand had not been invited down. Part of him was jealous of how close Lesatan had become to his sister, as he knew without her, it would be Armand and him down there... maybe even Krius. He knew it was nonsense to believe and he would never voice it, but he missed the closeness that he once had. A time in university, when the four of them were close and the rest of the world was locked away.

“Lost in thought?” Armand's playful voice spoke behind him before he came to stand next to Enoch and stare out the window.

“Imagine what might have been. Not having Krius around during important times is lonely, even after a decade.” Enoch explained.

Armand looked at his friend, who was still not what he would call an intelligent man, but had grown wiser with age, and smiled while placing his hand on Enoch's shoulder. “We always thought the four of us would be together for our entire lives. It never occurred to us as children that we weren't immortal.”

He nodded his head, “Still, this wasn't the way it was supposed to happen. We made plans and to know they will never happen now, well, the disappointment has turned into grief and loss.”

He dropped his hand from his friend's shoulder and took a deep breath as he crossed his arms over his chest. “Do you ever think to yourself that one day Krius will be our king?” He said bemused and looked over to see if Enoch would smile.

Enoch chuckled, “I do, however, Prince Silarius did not take the throne. It could be King Anton.”

Armand laughed, “Or if all three of the elder children decline, it would be Queen Lenore; once a nightmarish idea to the Former Queen Aletta.”

Enoch continued to chuckle along with his friend, but after a few moments the laughter died down. “Why do you think we were not invited down there?”

He shrugged his shoulders, “We aren't family.”

“There are those that are not blood or marriage related down there. Odelia Romanus and Remus Grey are two.” Enoch frowned.

“Remus Grey spent months on the run with the King, along with Jolon Marsh. That creates a bond that even us as childhood friends will never understand. Odelia's daughter sacrificed her life for the Queen and her child.” Armand explained. “We will always be Lesatan's closest friends, but we will never be family. They all suffered together, bleed together, and some even died together. We belong at the big ceremonies as that is our place.”

“I suppose.”

“Since it seems we will not be needed today, why don't we grab a bottle and find some others to play cards?” Armand patted his friend on the shoulder.

Enoch seemed to think for a moment, but couldn't come up with an excuse to not spend his day jealously staring out the window. “Fine, but not the stable boy. He looks innocent, but he took me for everything last time.”

“This time you would see him coming.” Armand joked as they began to walk down the hallway with Armand's hand still on his friend's shoulder.

“I think he can place curses on other's cards.” Enoch was only half joking as his mind slowly moved away from what was happening in the garden. He was a simple man and could only concentrate on one thing at any given time.

“Perhaps he'll teach you how to do such a thing some day.” Armand teased.

“Do you think so?” He asked with a deadpan tone.

---***---

Jolon and Saena were late as always, even though they lived in the same city as Harona and Routine. They had waited to marry until Jolon made his way into the Souchan Guild. It had been a difficult road and he was turned away by many people that initially seemed to want to help. Eventually, they would be pushed around or humiliated into not assisting by their peers.

It seemed many doors had opened for Jolon since the story of how he was the King's companion while he was gone, and that the King and his family counted him as a close personal friend. However much a Souchan wanted to use that to their advantage; the idea of bringing a commoner amongst them made other people's skin crawl.

Then after five years of trying; Routine summoned him and asked why with all the contacts he had given him had he not joined the Souchans yet. Jolon admitted the truth to him and within a day; Jolon was working as Routine's personal assistant and he was fast tracked to join the guild. No one dared try to shun or humiliate the Souchan Guild Leader.

He and Saena were married as soon as he was brought into the guild, and within a year they had a daughter together. They had struggled for weeks to pick a name for their daughter, but came short time and time again. It wasn't until Remus visited and asked her name that they admitted they were dumbfounded as to what to name her.

Saena's family had abandoned her completely for leaving their guild, and Jolon did not have a relative he necessarily wanted to name her after, and Saena disliked his mother's name of Lena.

Remus had asked why he didn't do as Lenore and Lesatan did and name her after his friend, Anton. Jolon thought it would be rude considering Lesatan had already done it.

One week later, Jolon received a letter from King Lesatan, who told him if he hadn't already named the child that he gave his blessing. Anton could have more than one child honoring him in the world, and thus, Antonia was named after his closest friend. The man who helped him through a difficult time in his life, who wanted to be more than his family wanted him to be, but never got the chance or perhaps he did. It depended on how the story was viewed.

The four year old was fast asleep in Jolon's arms as they walked down the corridor with Saena at his side. His little blonde haired and blue eyed princess limp as a doll in his arms and drooling on his shoulder.

“Piera has been making jokes of one day marrying Anton and Antonia together in her letters. It was funny at first, but she is starting to mention it more and more.” Saena told her husband. “I don't think we should plan for her future husband, not now and perhaps not ever.”

“Piera may only be half joking, but this is something she must consider for her children.” Jolon explained. “If it bothers you, tell her what you just said. She will understand.”

Saena nodded her head as she held their daughter's limp hand as they walked together. “I suppose so.”

“Right now, let's not worry too much about it. It's Ophelia's birthday, and we have many years to discuss these issues. For now, let them run around while we drink heavily.” He chuckled and watched Saena glare at him briefly. “Just enough to maintain a pleasurable feeling?”

Saena sighed. “Always jokes.”

“I hear Lenore has been giving Ophelia lessons in how to protect herself. Perhaps, it would be a good idea to employ someone to teach Antonia when she is older.” He suggested trying to change the subject.

Saena slowly nodded her head, “If she would like when she is older. Years ago, I would have been opposed and say it would make her unladylike, but Lenore shows that is untrue. I wonder how big her boys have gotten. I haven't seen them in over half a year.”

“I know. Antonia will probably return to follow Varden all over. He is like the big brother she will never have.” Jolon patted his daughter's back. “Should we wake her?” He asked as they came upon the garden.

“Darling.” Saena shook her hand, “We are here. Don't you want to play with everyone?”

Antonia slowly rubbed her eyes and looked at her mother. “Where?”

Stepping aside, she pointed to the children in the distance and Antonia immediately started to attempt to slip from her father's grasp. He laughed as he put her down and the two walked over to the other adults nearby.

---***---

Santh and Lenore met Saena and Jolon while they were heading to the garden to be with the others. There was some quick hugs and a handshake between the men before they entered into the garden area.

Lesatan stood up to greet his sister with a hug, and ask her what took her so long as the children ran wild on the grass. They made their way to the blankets that had been laid out for them, and all began to chat about their children and their work.

Saena and Harona sat near each other and laughed about Harona's awkwardness around her new infant that she held tightly in her arms. Routine sat nearby and observed them, but never interrupted instead he let his wife have time to catch up with her old friend.

Odelia ran around with the children and she would stop occasionally to tell everyone how she is too old to be doing this. She would immediately start chasing them after saying it every single time. Aletta soon joined her with the children and the two would stop for a moment to talk about how they haven't done this with their own children in such a long time.

For Odelia, the conversation stung as she knew she would never do such things with her daughter's children. Aletta seemed to become aware of this and would immediately make up a game to play with the children to take her mind off of her late daughter.

Santh and Jolon stood together near the door and chatted about the estate. Jolon offered him advice that he said he would pass onto Lenore, and Jolon joked that she would never listen to him.

Lenore sat with her brother and Piera. Nori sat in Lenore's lap and played with her necklace as she seemed uninterested in joining the other children. Nori enjoyed more leisurely activities like having someone read to her, then running around and screaming. Piera thought it was strange at first, but eventually noticed how nice it was for the moment.

Piera told her about her niece and how she was getting along. Lesatan would try to slip some information about the issue they were having with one person or another, but his wife quickly corrected him that this was not a for speaking about politics.

Lenore would chuckle at her brother, who looked like he just had his favorite toy taken away, and return to speaking with Piera.

It was the normal life they had all wanted minus a few good friends. Friends that left painful wounds in their hearts; wounds that would never truly heal.

Dull; that is what those pains would become until some memory sneaked in and tore the wound wide opened. However, dealing with that pain was made easier each time. Tears became sad grins; as the terrible memories were defeated by the ones of joy. That pain bore bonds and it could never be truly forgotten; nor did anyone want to forget it.

When pain is the only thing in the world one can see; people tend to forget what it births. Memories that make us all human. Pain makes us see who are friends truly are, and who will stand with us against the void. When they go with you into the void they stop being friends and form a family. Pain can make enemies become allies and friends become lovers.

It all started in a simple place to run and hide away from the rest of the people at the university. A broken down dorm that accepted anyone as broken as it was.

It fell apart and they could have easily abandoned it; but instead they rebuilt it and sacrificed for it. No one even asked themselves why they struggled so hard for that small patch of land in the woods. No one thought to ask each other those questions either. Everyone just did without hesitation and without thought to the struggle it would bring.

Ten years later, they they sat in the palace garden. They laughed with each other as their children played together, as a family that had been born from blood, sweat, treachery, and tears. A family that was rejected and broken so long ago.

South Dorm was just a bunch of misfits that didn't fit in anywhere; until they fit in with each other.