Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 25: Consent Or Knowledge

Piera could barely sleep that night as she thought about the man sleeping in the room adjoined to her own. She wondered how angry he would be in the morning though part of her wondered if he would end their engagement. It would truly be a blessing if it did, however it could also mean that he would continue the engagement and make her life all the more difficult as he resented her.

When the sun began to shine through her sheer window coverings, she sat up in her bed and tried to read her school books as she waited for the bells to ring. The distant sounds eventually came too soon and she began to dress herself in the slowest manner possible. She knew she would have to make that long walk down to the study to eat with the Prince. In the month she had been in the Royal Dorm she had not eaten in the dining hall once. Lesatan had told her that it would take some time for the people to grow use to the idea of her as their Queen.

Once she put on her dark blue tabard, she exited to the hall and took a deep breath. As per usual, Krius was waiting in the hallway which always made her wonder how early the man had to awake to greet her every day. They quietly made their way down the halls and stairs until they reached the door, which Krius opened for her and then shut behind her.

Lesatan was sitting behind his desk with a book in hand as he was studying for a test that he would take that day. When she arrived, he didn't look up to greet her as he normally did and instead continued to read.

"Milord." Piera bowed her head as she made her way over to the table that was set up on the bear skin rug. She took her seat and waited for him to join her though the sweet scent of their breakfast was hard to ignore.

Lesatan laid the book down and walked around the table to take his seat. He began to eat his meal of berries, cream, and sweet buns and ignored the sausage entirely.

"Are you not eating your sausage this morning?" Piera didn't know why she was attempting to engage him in conversation, but his utter silence was more painful to her heart then if he had simply yelled at her.

"No, do you want them?" He asked and before she could answer, he placed them on her plate.

Piera picked up the sausage link with her fingers and took a bite out of it, before placing the rest back down on the plate. "Are you concerned over your test today?" She remembered that he had been worried over dinner the night before.

Lesatan had been focused on his food before he looked up to her. "Are you attempting small talk with me?"

It was an odd question, she thought. "Do we not discuss our day's plans in the morning?"

"Then I am to assume you are no longer upset by my actions last night?"

Piera was thankful she had finished swallowing by the time that question was asked. Was the Prince and Future King not speaking to her for fear she was angry with him? "Upset? No, I am not upset."

Lesatan's face went from looking pained to almost holding a grin. "Very well then."

She didn't know why, but that moment of happiness in his eyes made her own heart lighten.

"I thought over what you said well, and you are correct. I can not allow myself freedom and not apply the same rules to your person. Therefore, I believe we should come to an agreement about a curfew as well as informing certain individuals of your comings and goings." Lesatan took the uneaten sausage from her plate and began to eat it intensely.

"I would be pleased with such an agreement as long as the terms are reasonable." Piera didn't know why he was making this effort. She thought he would enforce that she have bodyguards with her at all times. This didn't seem like something any man would allow a woman to do, let alone a woman that would someday become Queen. His actions in some ways frightened her.

"Good, then I believe ten in the evening is more than generous."

"Ten thirty." She wanted to see if he would actually debate this with her.

Lesatan thought for a moment, "Very well. Ten thirty it is."

Piera smiled when he smirked at her and began to eat his meal. For a brief moment, she thought perhaps she had just seen the sweet boy within the spoiled man.

---***---

Santh had found Lenore as soon as classes were over as he had heard what she planned to do afterward. He didn't believe that anyone would hurt her as she was the Princess, but he also didn't wish to chance it. Though now that he had watched her speak to several different council members, he was beginning to think he should have chosen to watch over Ophelia and Krine who were still handing out scrolls to the other students.

There were girls on nearly every corner of the school that had these scrolls. After classes they would all race to their designated areas and begin to pass them out. It was becoming more of a nuisance to the other students who were tired of receiving the scrolls, though Lenore had begun changing the prints so that new information and even humor were being offered to them.

Santh was standing behind Lenore as she spoke with one man. They were in a private room in the library, so the small room was only filled with a table and chairs along with the three of them. The man hadn't wanted to be seen speaking to her in public for fear that her brother might find out. It was a blessing for Santh as he was tired of spotting Krius behind the trees as they walked around the university campus.

"I just don't believe that women need to be here longer than two years, milady." Damek Tahan told the Princess as they all stood in the room with Santh standing closest to the door. It was a line that they had heard several times over during the day. "Women come to this school to find a husband. I highly doubt any wish to stay once the engagement has been created."

Damek was a member of the Royal party with Mondue roots though he towered over Lenore, he was several inches shorter than Santh. He had always been the more reasonable of the councilmen though this would be his second to last year at the school before he completed his eight years.

"That only speaks to the scale of your belief in women, Damek." Lenore told him. "I, myself, have been here longer than two years. Do you believe that I do not take my schooling seriously?"

The dark haired councilmen shrugged his shoulders, "Milady, from what I have witnessed this is the first activity that you have taken any interest in. Your constant antics against your brother and your inability to join the Royal Party properly do make you seem incapable of being earnest."

Santh took offense to his words. He had not seen the Lenore that he knew and was angered that he dared to judge her, though he reminded himself that it wasn't that long ago that he felt much the same about the Princess.

Lenore smiled gently, "My marks are some of the highest in the university. Surely, you have seen how passionate I am about my education."

Damek was still unconvinced. "Truly, you have a mind unlike most others of your gender, but you can see where extending their stay could cause the men here to become distracted."

The Princess snorted. "The largest cause of distraction was taken care of when my brother calmed the girls' dorm. In truth, when most young girls leave the campus after two years, they often leave behind a fiance, and are you aware of how many of those relationships end in marriage?"

"Less then thirty percent, I believe."

She nodded, "Are you aware of why?"

"The girls meet men outside of the university." Damek seemed bored with this conversation. "I understand what you are attempting, but I do not see a need to increase the female populations time here in order to keep them from straying from their responsibilities."

Santh could see that Lenore was becoming annoyed, though she wasn't allowing it to show. At least not to someone that didn't know her, but the subtle press of her lips informed him of the stress she was under.

She took a deep breath, "There are many other arguments that I could offer you, Damek."

"I am sure that are very convincing, and I am certain that I have heard them all before, but I am truly sorry, Princess Lenore. I can not vote to allow this change. Now, if you will excuse me."

Santh and Lenore stepped aside and allowed him to exit, and when he did Lenore groaned. "Not a single one is willing to support us."

"What of your brother?" Santh asked.

Lenore stuck her tongue out slightly at the idea as she stared at the closed door. "I suppose if I could get him to come to my side the others might be more willing. As it stands now, they are impossible as long as my brother stands in the way." Her eyes turned to him. "I am famished, you?"

---***---

Ophelia stood beside her cohort as they passed out scrolls to passing students in the main court. They hadn't spoken much to each other since they began this movement, but Krine didn't seem like she was unreasonable not in the way it seemed when she was around Santh or at least what Ophelia had heard from Santh.

The Mondue female would appear from time to time at their dorm but seemed only interested in talking to Ophelia or Lenore about what they were doing. She would barely look at Santh, which Ophelia noticed had begun to annoy him. It was obvious that it was some sort of ploy to get Santh but Ophelia couldn't figure out how exactly that might work.

"Ugh, I am tired." Krine sighed as she sat down on the bench in front of the large flower garden and watched several students pass them by. "I have three tests this week, and I can not afford to fail one of them."

Ophelia pressed her lips together, "Are you not doing well in your marks?"

"No, I am doing well, but my father takes away money from my allowance permanently for every failed class or test. It only resets at the beginning of every year, and if we do not manage to get an extended stay for women this will be my last year. So, I guess technically, it doesn't matter though it is nice to be able to eat outside the school from time to time." Krine leaned back against the bench. "I don't know what I am saying, I am too tired."

The smaller girl began to speak but was cut short when one of the passing students rammed her shoulder with their own. Ophelia stumbled back and looked over her shoulder to find the culprit, but he continued forward with nothing more to say to her.

Krine's eyebrows came together as she normally did not see people treat her partner this way, but it seemed that when she was seated they didn't take notice of her presence.

The Souchan shook her head and returned her attention to the woman in front of her. "We have a study group every night at our dorm. You should come. Lenore and Routine teach it, and every one is doing quite well now."

"I hear that Vinson heir apparent is part of the group. I do not believe my father would appreciate me having any contact with him." She sighed, "Otherwise, I would have joined at this point."

"Lenore was once a Vinson, did you know?" Ophelia asked and seeing a moment of gossip about to approach lit her entire face up.

Krine's eyes informed her that she didn't believe her.

"It's true, she told me. Her mother's husband didn't think he could have any children, so when Lenore and her mother moved there, he gave his last name to Lenore." She clasped her hands together, "When she turned twelve and moved into the castle permanently, she became a Cromwell."

"I knew she lived with the Vinsons when she was young, but I didn't know she..." Krine silenced herself as another person rammed into Ophelia, this time it was a woman.

Before the girl could move away from the bench, Krine jumped to her feet and shoved the girl into the moving foot traffic.

The Souchan brunette laid on the ground and looked up at the large Mondue female. Her friends hurried to her side to help her stand and without a word they disappeared into the crowd. Krine was satisfied and sat back down with a grin on her lips.

"I appreciate the gesture, but it is best if you don't do that in the future." Ophelia informed her and she played with her fingers nervously.

"Why?"

She shrugged, "They will only punish me further in the future when you are not around. It is best to just let them shove me a little. Besides, I expected this. Lenore told us that this would happen, though it doesn't seem to happen often to you."

"It never happens to me." Krine frowned, "If that is what you want then I shall respect it, however."

They fell silent and continued to neglect the very duties they were there to accomplish, before Ophelia yawned to break the tension.

"Krine?" She asked and when the other woman looked at her, she continued. "Are you not interested in Santh anymore? I remember that Lenore and you made that deal, and now it seems like you aren't paying him any attention."

Krine chuckled, "I am making him miss me. He acts as if I am not important, but when I show him no favor, he certainly takes it to heart, doesn't he?"

Ophelia smirked, "It seems that way, yes."

---***---

Lenore had finished her rounds with the council members and she and Santh made their way back to the dorms. Only Jolon and Anton were home or on their beds at the very least, and they were studying before group began.

Making her way over to Routine's bed, Lenore sat down on it and wondered briefly to herself where he might be. Though, if she knew him well then he most likely was making stops at the library to study in silence now that they didn't have rooms to themselves.

"Lenore?" Jolon broke through her thoughts. "May I speak to you in private?"

Standing up, Lenore motioned for him to follow her behind the dorm. He did so and Lenore found her way to her bed before patting the other bed for him to sit down.

He moved to the bed and took a deep breath before speaking, "Do you remember Saena? She celebrated with us briefly after we won the tournament."

"The one that sent the scarf as well?" Lenore nodded her head and didn't need her question answered.

"She recently asked me if there was any future between us. I explained that odds were against that and why." Jolon watched Lenore's face and she seemed to agree with his reaction. "However, I can not allow her to be sold off by her father to some traveling merchant."

That brought confusion to Lenore's eyes but she didn't interrupt him.

"I am curious if there is any way she could attend this school, and therefore be able to leave her guild."

Lenore pressed her lips together as if she wasn't certain that this was a good plan. "She can attend the school. That is simple enough. She has to pass the entrance exams, and since she has no money of her own she would need a sponsor to pay. However, have you thought of the ramifications of her attending this school?"

He shook his head.

"It is difficult enough being a female here, but you want her to finish four years and you want her to abandon her guild. The Servant's Guild does not look highly upon its members bettering themselves and leaving. My own mother had to complete four years of university in about three months in order to wed her husband." She lowered her voice as she said the next sentence, "Though if you ask anyone who knows her, you would know she paid for her diploma."

Jolon smirked briefly.

"My mother has no more contact with the Servant's Guild. My own grandmother won't have anything to do with me as she believes my mother thought she was better then them and that is why she left."

"I do not understand. Why would her family not be pleased that she was able to better herself?" Jolon leaned back on his arms in the bed.

Lenore sucked on her upper lip briefly, "Perhaps, Anton would be better able to answer that question, as I have no answer."

Jolon understood, "If she is aware of the challenges before her. That her guild will hate her for leaving them, the rest of the school will hate her for both being a female and stepping out of place, and that she has never had lessons in her life therefore classes will be torture, do you believe you could sponsor her?"

"Jolon, if she is willing to do such a thing, you could be certain that I would stand behind her, but I am afraid that I haven't the money. My brother is kind enough to liberate me of my allowance every month, as punishment for not living in the dorms." Lenore frowned, "There has to be someone who might assist."

"Ah, there you are!" Remus walked around the corner, "I need to speak with you, milady."

Lenore began to smile and briefly made eye contact with Jolon which passed the idea onto him.

Stopping dead in his tracks, Remus' grin soon vanished from his lips as he looked at the two grinning before him. "What is it?"

---***---

Authin stood behind the library hiding himself with the tall hedge bushes. He had been able to bathe more properly that morning and Ophelia had helped him clean and stitch his uniform, though she was rather silent for the girl that usually chatted away about nothing a majority of the time. He was grateful as he had never had to wash his own clothes before and could now add it as a new skill.

The rest of the dorm was not interested in him though Santh watched him at all times, and would become tense if he moved in the direction of either of the females. He wanted to tell the large Mondue that this was not his harem and that he could do as he pleased, but the truth was far from that belief. by the other students on the pathways.

"The Unmentionable's Dorm?" Armand asked as he made his way behind the hedges to hide from any passing servants on the path. "After what you have done, I would never have imagined that the Princess would dare offer her forgiveness."

Authin turned the man and kept a safe distance from the adviser. "It was the last of my options, in truth I thought I was in my last days at this school. It does make me curious as to why she would allow me to remain there."

"Lenore rarely does anything without it playing into whatever plot she has unfolding." Armand crossed his arms and briefly attempted to lean against the hedge only to remember that it was not a solid object. "While you are there, it might be in your favor to attempt to understand what she is up to and report it to the Prince."

He swallowed, "As much as that might make my life easier when he is the King, if I were to be discovered by Lenore then I would certainly lose my dorm. I can not take that risk, Armand."

"Then what? Do you plan on taking over your father's small domain that has little power and never attempting to step up in this world?"

"I do not know. I thought that perhaps I could strengthen his power, though that will be more difficult with the situation between the Prince and myself as it stands." Authin took a deep breath and ran his hand through his hair. "My only true goal at this time is to graduate from this university and cause no more trouble for myself."

"Then your skills are no longer for sale?"

The lower Royal nodded his head.

"Good." Armand spoke with some bitterness coupled with relief. "I am afraid that we shall not meet often in the future with our stations being so distant now."

Authin frowned briefly, "Yes, I understand."

"Be weary. Though Lenore, in general, is of a good nature, she does have a side that can be truly terrifying. I do not speak of a temper like her brother. Instead, Lenore is unknowable and unpredictable, and I highly doubt any person in her life isn't hand chosen for a reason." Armand cleared his throat. "She is capable of using people without their consent or knowledge. Do not be fooled, everything she does is for a reason. No one except her knows what she is planning as she keeps her secrets that close to her heart."

"You believe she is that evil?"

Armand smirked, "I believe she is that intelligent. You are a pawn in her chess game just like everyone else."

"Yourself included then?"

"Myself included." The adviser yawned before stretching out his arms. "Well then, perhaps we shall speak again in the future, but for now we must part ways. Lesatan can not know that I have met with you. He already distrusts me and I do not need to offer him more reasons to do so."

Authin watched as the adviser turned around and exited the small hiding spot without so much as a goodbye or making eye contact. With a heavy heart, Authin decided he would cut through the woods so he would not be seen by the other students on the pathways.

---***---

Lesatan finished his meal as Piera sat across from him. She was done several moments before, but it would be rude to leave without her companion completing his meal as well. All day she had thought of how he had acted toward her that morning, and it would bring a smile to her lips during the day.

"What are your plans for the evening?" Lesatan asked as he placed his fork on the plate and leaned back in his chair.

She knew that part of their deal was telling him where she would be going, and part of her wanted to lie but that would only cause more distrust. She would find herself a prisoner again of that she was certain. "I was going to the hamlet. I am uncertain what I wish to do while there."

"Do you have plans to visit my sister?" He stood up and walked over to his desk where he picked up a small scroll. He began to play with it and took several deep breaths as if he was thinking carefully over what he planned to do with it.

"Not tonight. My brother dislikes when I visit too often. Speaking of which, what of your plans to end their engagement? It does not seem as if you are taking any action." She watched him walk back around his desk and sit at the table once more.

"One problem at a time, I am afraid." He held out the scroll to her. "I would be most grateful if you could take a few moments and deliver this to her personally. I understand that you are not a servant, but Lenore might be less suspicious if the note came from you."

"What is it?" She took the scroll from him gently and it seemed as if he was almost afraid to let her have it, but eventually released it to her.

He pressed his lips together. "Her attempts to gain favor amongst the student population in order to have females stay longer have caused a great divide in the council. I do not believe she understands the amount of havoc she is causing."

Piera was wearing her school uniform and placed the scroll in a pouch attached to her belt. "I will deliver it before leaving the school grounds."

There was a brief look of relief that washed over his face, before he stood from the table. "Then I shall keep you no longer. Be careful not to be caught. There is little I can do when you break university rules."

She didn't believe that was true as Lenore seemed to get away with quite a lot, but she knew he meant that with the people against her as Queen they would be looking for any reason to end their engagement. For some reason knowing that made her not want to get caught, though days before she would have tried to cause trouble. At least, she liked to believe she would, in truth she had been too afraid to do anything that would incur his wrath.

"Perhaps one day, you could walk the hamlet with me."

Lesatan turned up his nose, "I doubt that I would find comfort in such a place."

She had heard that Lesatan hadn't even gone into the nicest parts of town, and she wondered if he truly thought he was above such places or if he was afraid. That was not a question that she would ever ask of the man, however.

"I shall be off then. Krius will be awaiting me at the gate when I return, I assume?" She asked as she stood up from the table.

"Only until you prove that you are keeping your curfew, and have earned my trust." Lesatan told her as he looked into her eyes.

Piera smiled briefly, "That is fair. Goodnight."

---***---

Jolon stood near the servant's path and hoped that tonight Saena would carry her baskets down to the stream. He was in luck after about an hour when the servants began to head toward their assigned area. He tried to hide behind the bushes but knew he would somehow have to gain her attention.

When she came into view, he picked up a small pebble from the ground and pelted it at her. He meant to hit her arm but it smacked her cheek instead. Her eyes immediately examined the direction that the attack had come from as the pebble hit her shoulder and fell into her basket.

He gave a brief wave before hiding behind the bushes again. Saena frowned and almost decided not to see what the man wanted, but she had too deep of an urge to see him again to deny herself. She briefly looked around to make sure none of the other servants were around, before hurrying behind the bush.

Setting the basket down beside her, she kneeled down in front of Jolon who pulled the pebble out of her basket. Part of her wanted to smile and act giddy that she was seeing him again, but she kept a stoic aura about her.

"Come to the university." Jolon said as he tossed the pebble aside and ignored the small red welt on her cheek.

"We are already here." She said with confusion in her voice.

He smirked, "No, I mean come here to study."

His clarification only caused Saena to look more confused.

"If you study here then you can come with me when I move to another party." He told her as if this was an easy task that anyone in the servant's guild could complete. "I spoke with the Princess herself and she has agreed to help you study for the exams. We are working on getting you a sponsor to pay for the entire four years."

"Four years?" Saena scoffed at the idea. "I have worked here almost my entire life, Jolon. I know what happens to women after two years, and I know the worse fate of what happens to commoners. I am not even a normal commoner that would attend, I am someone who should be washing dorm blankets not sleeping in them."

"If Lenore manages to convince the council, then four years will be allowed for females, and you'll be just like Jolon and I. I do not need to inform you of the important people that reside at our dorm. Just by sleeping in the same area as them seems to have protected us quite a bit."

She slowly shook her head, "It didn't protect the commoners that left this school the years before you arrived."

"The relationships in the dorm have changed since then. Saena, please. Didn't you say that you didn't wish to be sold off?" He reached out his hand to touch her own that was laying on the edge of the basket, but Saena pulled it away.

"I must do what is right for my family."

"We already discussed that we would help your family. Everything has been planned for." He tried not to become upset that she didn't want him to touch her.

With a deep sigh, she shook her head once more. "I am not strong enough for this nor am I smart enough. I am sorry, Jolon." She grabbed her basket and began to stand up.

Grabbing both of her arms, Jolon pulled her down. "We do not know what will happen between us in the future, but if you come to this school there is a chance."

"What if I fail? What if we do not wish to further our relationship?"

"If you fail then we must accept that we can not be. If our relationship fails then you will still be able to attend the school and gain prestige in the world. Please, Saena. Come speak to Lenore and the others before you decide."

She nodded her head before pulling her arms from his grasp, "I will speak to them." She grabbed the basket once more and stood up before heading back out onto the path. Jolon watched but not once did she turn to look upon him.

---***---

Remus had been unable to join her that evening to check on the stall, so Ophelia had gone alone. He had been lost in a conversation with Lenore and Jolon, and when she asked they informed her that it was nothing that concerned her. Her feelings had been hurt at that point, but she tried to remember that there were times when she didn't need to be part of their plans. After all, Lenore didn't allow the boys to be privy to their plans when she had been.

As she walked through the gates back into the school, she looked up at the starry sky. The nights were coming sooner than usual, but she didn't mind seeing the moon this early. She thought the campus was far more beautiful under the light of the moon.

With a grin on her lips, she walked carefully back to the dorms as she didn't wish to miss roll call. The pathways weren't completely empty as there were a couple stragglers that didn't want to head back just yet. Most of them seemed to be girls with their lovers, which caused Ophelia to feel slightly jealous. Though that jealousy only brought to mind a memory of Remus smiling at her, and she immediately lost the painful emotion.

As she grew closer to the flowered court the pathways became completely empty, except for a group following behind her. At first, the sounds of other students didn't bother her, but when she stopped to check on the pouch on her belt for fear she lost it, she heard their footsteps stop as well.

Swallowing, she began to pick up her pacing and the group behind her did so as well until she began to sprint. That didn't last very long when a hand grabbed her upper arm and yanked her around, which caused Ophelia to fall and scrap her leg harshly against the stone path.

She rolled onto her bottom and looked up at the group of five boys that began to encircle her. She remembered one from earlier that day at the court. He had shoved his shoulder into her own.

"Sending your Mondue bitch to shove my sister was a bad idea, traitor." The boy told her.

Another began to speak behind her, "If you want to stay at this school longer then you should earn it the way every whore does."

Ophelia's heart began to pound in her chest and she felt like she was swallowing it down. She tried to scoot backwards but remembered that there were boys behind her as well. She decided to examine their faces just in case what she feared was about to happen did happen. Though she recognized one of them, she had never seen the others before.

"You believe yourself to be untouchable because the Princess has befriended you." The first boy snickered. "She doesn't see you as an equal. You are just a toy to a woman of her position, and I think she's getting tired of you. Why else would you be out here alone? No Mondue bitch, and no Merchant Guild heir."

The circle they made around Ophelia was growing smaller and she had no plans for escape. As the tears began to fall from her eyes, she noticed someone enter the circle. When they did so, those that created it quickly scattered and Ophelia turned her attention to the man standing beside her. Her rescuer was someone she would rather had not been alone with.

"Stand." Krius ordered her though his voice seemed slightly softer than she was used to hearing from him.

When she attempted to and slipped back down, they both noticed that her leg was bleeding rather badly. "Ow." She whimpered.

Krius said nothing as he put one of his arms under her knees and the other behind her back and lifted her up. He began to carry her toward the flower court and said nothing as he did so. Ophelia had too many questions to ask him but her fear of what he would say especially if it was to tell her to be quiet forced her to remain silent. She didn't wish to upset him, and found she couldn't even look at the large man's face. When he arrived at the dirt path, he sat her back down.

"Lenore forbids me from entering." He told her.

"Thank you, Lord Krius. I..." She was about to explain her situation to him, but he turned around and walked away from her without another word.

Cocking her head to the side, she was no longer concerned with the boys that had attacked her and more curious over Krius. It seemed out of character for him to help someone like her, but she decided that this had to do with Lenore.

With a grin, she began to limp down the dirt path, holding onto the study branches and trunks of the nearby trees. She decided she would call out to the others once she had made her way half way down.

---***---

Jolon was sitting on his bed when Lenore and Remus appeared from behind the dorm. He stood and approached them as they didn't seem pleased at the moment. He hoped that this didn't have anything to do with Saena. Routine, Anton, and Authin were on their own beds that had been moved underneath the canopy that he had built. The six beds were laid out in three rows now with the base of each bed touching.

Authin and Santh were foot buddies as Ophelia had deemed them, and Authin spent most of his time with Santh's feet invading his bed as the man was slightly too large for his own bed. Remus slept next to Authin with Routine at his feet and the two commoners sat closest to the dorm with their bed bases touching. The decision hadn't even been discussed and they simply laid the beds out in such a manner.

Remus and Lenore approached him as he took the one step down off the elevated platform of their canopy.

"Is something the matter?" Jolon asked and his question caused everyone else to stop their studying and pay attention to their conversation.

"I took a moment to look over my books, and I am afraid that I could only pay for a third of Saena's schooling." Remus informed him. "Most of my money is being used for investments that have yet to come full circle. I apologize."

He lowered his head, "I knew this wouldn't be as easy as I thought."

"You are trying to pay for someone's schooling?" Authin asked still sitting on his bed.

Everyone turned their attention to him, but only Jolon spoke. "A servant girl... she... we... I..." He lacked an explanation for the new dorm mate.

The response brought Authin's eyebrows up. "You wish for a servant girl to attend the university? Certainly that would be a difficult challenge for her."

"We are aware of the hardship she would face." Lenore growled. She had been annoyed with him since the day he moved in and never attempted to hide her dislike. It made everyone wonder why she had even bothered to allow him into the dorm.
"She is aware and still willing to attend?" He asked and ignored Lenore's frustration.
Jolon nodded, "She understands, but we haven't managed to convince her completely to attend just yet."

Authin pressed his lips together as he took a moment to think as he laid his book in his lap. "If Remus can pay for a third then I am certain that I can obtain the rest."

Routine mumbled something inaudible under his breath as he stood from his bed and moved toward the back of the dorm. No doubt he was going to wash his face or relieve himself.

Lenore seemed to have understood what the Souchan said. "What benefits would you gain from helping her?"

"First and foremost it would assist me in assuming a better foothold on my place in the dorm. I would gain an advantage, do you not agree?" Authin looked between the three of them.

Anton sat silently nearby and held his tongue as he wasn't entirely certain what this conversation was about.

"Secondly?" Lenore crossed her arms.

Remus was glad that she was asking the questions as he wanted to as well, but there had to be some respect that he offered to the Royal no matter how low his position was.

He thought for another moment. "No, secondly. I shall even pay the amount to the school in full to prove my humble intent."

Jolon and Lenore made eye contact, and she could tell that he didn't wish to take him up on his offer. Leaning forward, she whispered in his ear. "Do not allow your pride to stand in your way."

With a sigh, Jolon knew he would have to agree.

---***---

Ophelia hadn't been able to call loud enough to get anyone to come for her. She limped her way down the path and leaned against tree trunk to tree trunk. Swallowing the pain down with every step, she prayed that someone would find her. The short path felt like a never ending road that only taunted her as she thought the end would be near and it only proved to be the beginning.

"Are you alright?" A voice asked behind her.

Ophelia looked over her shoulder, "Piera! Thank all that is good that you are here. Please, help me."

Piera made her way over to her and Ophelia reached out her arm to help her after looking at the leg. The entire outside of her calf was scratched with several open wounds along with what looked to be dirt and small rocks sticking to the leg due to blood. A small portion of her knee was completely missing the skin and was where most of the blood was coming from.

She pulled Ophelia's arm around her neck and helped her to stand, and when she did so the girl seethed in pain.

"I think I hurt my arm too." She told her as she began to slowly help her down the path.

Once they arrived at the dirt court, they could see Lenore and the others near the canopy having a discussion.

"A little help, please!" Piera called out.

The attention turned to the two of them and Remus was quick to make his way over to them. Anton and Jolon were behind him and Remus took the girl from Piera by throwing her other arm over his neck, but when Piera released her Jolon told him to let him carry her. The three men moved together to take Ophelia behind the dorm to her bed.

"Authin, hurry to the medical building and get some herbs for Ophelia." Lenore ordered and the Royal was quick to leave the court to do so.

"Lenore." Piera called out to the Princess when she was about to make her way around the dorm.

Walking over to her Lenore stopped in front of her and Piera handed her a scroll. "Your brother wanted me to deliver this. I will not stay as I do not need to be privy to the story of what happened to Ophelia."

Lenore gave a nod and thanked her before walking around the dorm. She read the scroll that insisted that she end her activities against the council, but Lenore crumbled it up and tossed it aside.

"Jolon find some cloths for her and Anton, we will need water." Lenore ordered as she came to kneel down beside the bed and look over her wound. "What happened?" She asked when the two boys disappeared, leaving only her and Remus with Ophelia.

"Some boys shoved me and threatened me for what we are doing. Krine pushed his sister earlier today when she shoved me and I had to pay for it." Ophelia told her with a grin on her lips.

"Who? Who were these men?" Remus barked as he stood beside the bed. Ophelia had never seen him this upset, but she knew he would need to be calmed as he would not help her in the slightest in this state. "They will pay for..."

"If you punish them then they will only come for me again. This is payment for Krine's protection, Remus." She told him before looking back at Lenore, "Krius stopped them and carried me to the path."

Lenore didn't seem surprised by the information. "No doubt he has been stalking us to ensure my safety." Standing up, Lenore began to head toward the stream. "I will be back. Anton will need my help carrying the bucket."

Remus looked at the wounds on her legs that could only be seen through the nearby torchlight. "I should have walked with you. Instead, that brute had to rescue you. No doubt with no real care to you otherwise he would have brought you to the dorm." He mumbled.

Ophelia smiled at him and laid her hand on his own that was resting on the bed beside her. "All is well. I am used to this."

That was of no comfort to him, "You shouldn't be."