Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(CH2) Chapter 1: Welcome Back

Riane stood in the marble bathroom that was the size of many people's apartments. She brushed down her short red hair and looked in the mirror at the almost boy-like person that stared back at her. All her life, she had kept her hair short and dressed like a boy and most people she met thought she was one, even though they questioned it at times. She even wore the baggiest clothes she could find and the most tight fitting sports bras. Anything to keep her boy image up. The only reason she did it was because she knew her step-mother and father hated it.

It had come in handy throughout high school, everyone pronounced her name like Ryan even though that was incorrect. She never told them the right way to pronounce it as she enjoyed the perks of being considered a boy, which was far more entertaining then what the girls did.

Even her best friend, Blake, thought she was a boy for the first two years they had known each other. He didn’t figure it out until her step-mother had forced them into the pool one summer day and Riane had no choice but to wear her bikini. She would never forget his face as he sat in the water trying to figure out why his friend was wearing a bikini, before it finally dawned on him. She had feared it would change their friendship, instead Blake just continued to be himself. At school, he referred to her as a boy even though they never discussed to keep her secret hidden.

In truth, she didn’t care one way or another. She never told people she was a boy, but if they assumed then she shrugged and went along with it. Of course, she was often told that they thought the heir of the Nairne Corporation was a female to which she would always truthfully reply that she wasn’t. It was her younger brother that was, and most people assumed that younger brother was her. In reality it was her little ten year old brother, Rusty or Russell as her father insisted he be called.

As all mornings began since she started her freshman year of college at Cerulean Harbor, Riane sat at her make-up desk and looked at her favorite letter. It was an acceptance letter from Juliard, where she had planned to go. Throughout her younger years, Riane had been called a child prodigy with her audio graphic memory and her complex composures for the piano. Yet, her father had insisted that she get a degree in something that could be used in the world. Hence she began her studies in business and management, where she would one day be able to work under her brother Rusty in her father’s company.

With a sigh, she put the letter back into it’s envelope, “It’s enough that I was accepted.” She mumbled to herself.

Pulling on her tennis shoes, she headed down the large stairs and past several maids. In the dining room, her younger brother with red hair sat at the table eating his breakfast. There were two dining rooms in their home. One was for large parties with a long table, and the other was for their small family of four. Fresh flowers filled the room in several vases, and in the center of the dark wood table.

Her father, Simon, who also shared their dark red hair was reading his newspaper and drinking coffee. He did not bother to look away from it when she entered the room.

“Morning!” Deidra, her step-mother and Rusty’s mother, chirped. She was a slim woman who her father had met when she was six years old.

“Morning.” Riane mumbled as she sat down at the large table.

“Do you want pancakes or waffles? I’ll go tell the…” She began to stand up.

“Sit down, Deidra.” Simon scolded from behind his newspaper. “If she had come down earlier she would already have her breakfast. Now, she has to wait for the cook to come out or not eat at all.”

Riane gave a sympathetic grin as Deidra sat back down in her chair. The slim, blonde looked like her husband had once again injured her pride. She never said anything when he did, instead she wouldn’t talk for weeks at a time.

“How’s school?” Rusty, her freckled face little brother, asked as he bit into his sausage.

“Fine.” She grunted.

Simon lowered his newspaper and glared at his daughter, “Answer your brother properly.”

“It’s fine, thank you.” Riane said as she returned his glare.

He frowned, “I thought we discussed your attire?”

“No, you lectured me about my attire. I didn’t get a word in.”

He exhaled loudly, “Riane…” He began using the correct pronunciation of Rye-Anne. “You aren’t a little girl anymore, this tomboy look is not acceptable. Grow your hair out and wear more feminine clothes. This is no longer cute.”

“It’s what I am comfortable in. Shouldn’t I be comfy in what I am wearing when I go to school, so I can concentrate?”

He stared at her for several moments, “Grow out your hair and wear more feminine clothing.” He snapped before returning to his newspaper.

Riane looked across the table at Deidra, who was pretending that other people weren’t even in the room with her. She had always been rather immature and flaky. Her arrival into her home was something that scarred Riane’s mind. It happened when she was eight years old and on the very day that her own mother had moved out. Deidra appeared a mere hour later with the newborn Rusty in her arms. Her father and Deidra were married three days later after the divorce was finalized.

She never held it against Deidra or Rusty, but instead she hated her father for everything that had happened. Of course, Simon didn’t really seem to care much for his daughter. After her birth, her own mother had to have an emergency hysterectomy. Simon had wanted a son to take over the company. In fear that he wouldn’t be satisfied with her anymore, Riane’s mother forced her daughter to behave like a boy. In the end that didn’t save her from divorce papers.

“Riane, can you take me to school?” Rusty asked.

“She’s got her own schedule.” Simon answered before his daughter could. “You shouldn’t impose yourself on others.”

“I can take him. We just need to leave earlier…”

“Be quiet.” He looked up at her, “I’m trying to teach your brother independence. Between you and your mother, he’ll never be able to do things on his own.”

Riane didn’t bother to point out that Deidra wasn’t her mother, she had long ago given up on that argument. Standing up, she cleared her throat. “I should get to class then.”

“I’ll be out of town for the next week, so ensure that Russell does his homework. I don’t trust your mother to watch him.”

“Yes.” She said with her hands folded in front of her. Briefly, she looked over at Deidra who was still pretending that no one else was speaking in the room.

“Also, I know it’s only been two weeks since school has started but your grades are atrocious. I want B’s by the time I return.”

“But we don’t have any tests this week, I…”

“B’s.” Simon began to read his newspaper again.

Riane sighed and rubbed her hand over her brother’s head as she left the dining room. It wasn’t until she was in the hallway putting on her jacket did she remember that she hadn’t had breakfast yet. She shrugged, she would have the driver stop somewhere and grab herself something quick to eat.

---***---

“Mom!” The eleven year old screamed from down the hall. “Jules keeps sitting on my face when I am laying on the couch!”

Nanette looked at her eldest son with eyes that begged him to deal with it. The tall and tanned older brother with short black hair stood from the table. “Have you eaten yet, Zack?” Bryce asked his younger brother as he walked into the hallway.

Zachary shook his head as he passed his brother to enter the dining room. “I don’t have time this morning. I woke up late.”

“Your call.” He shrugged as he stepped out into the hallway to look for his other brother. Julian was sitting on the couch, reading a magazine when he walked into the entertainment room. Three televisions hung on the wall, and there were countless gaming stations around the room.

Julian was wearing what all three brothers always wore blue jeans and a shirt. Though, Julian often wore shirts with inappropriate images or words on them, while the other two preferred collared shirts. Today, it was a black shirt with a band name and image, which was not nearly as bad as what he usually wore.

“He’s eleven years old and you’re nineteen, do you honestly think picking on him like that is cute or even acceptable?”

Julian shrugged his shoulders, “He’s a senior in high school, he can take it.”

“Doesn’t matter what grade he is in, he is still only eleven. He barely weighs eighty pounds. You have hundred pounds on him, and you are sitting on his face.” Bryce pull his brother’s shoulder length black hair when he didn’t get an answer. “Are you listening to me?”

“No.”

“Pull your hair back and let’s go.” Bryce rolled his eyes as he stepped out of the room.

Julian stood up and checked his clothes over in the full length mirror on the wall. He pulled a hair band from his pocket and put his hair in a ponytail at the base of his neck.

“Mom! We are leaving!” Bryce called out when Julian arrived at the front door.

“Don’t forget your brother!” Nanette yelled from the dining room.

“I’ve got him!”

“She means me!” Zachary stuck out his tongue as he stepped from the dining room in the long hallway. Bryce pulled down his coat from the closet next to the front door and handed it to him.

“What happen to your car?”

Zachary picked up his backpack from the floor as he left it next to the door when he got home from school. “It’s not the car, but the driver. He went in for knee surgery. I told you this last night.” He grumbled to his eldest brother as he opened the door. “I expect him not to listen to me,” He pointed at Julian who was rubbing his teeth with his index finger. “but I thought you would…”

“Ok, I’m sorry.” Bryce chuckled as they walked out to the car and got into the back seat. “We’ll drop you off first.”

Zachary gave a nod and looked over at Julian, who had pulled out a hand mirror from his backpack and was checking over his face. “Is he still trying to get that girl to notice him?”

Bryce nodded as the driver began to leave the large driveway and head towards the gate of their estate.

“She’s noticed me, it’s that she doesn’t like me. There is a difference.” Julian corrected.

“And you think by staring at yourself in the mirror somehow that will make you look less like a dog's ass?” Zachary asked.

“Jealousy will get you no where.” He said brushing off his brother’s comment. “I just want her to see my good looks in full blossom.”

Bryce rolled his eyes, “It’s your attitude and the way you treat others that she hates. It has nothing to do with your looks.”

“No girl can resist a good looking guy for long. Worry about yourself. I’ve seen infants cry at the sight of you.”

“Shit, I forgot my gym bag.” Bryce cursed as he ignored his brother, “Guess I’ll have to wear the spares in my locker.”

“Basketball…” He snorted. “Shouldn’t you be over sports after high school. Only dumb jocks hang onto that crap.”

Zachary glared over at his brother, “He’s trying to keep in shape. Do you even attend any of your classes?”

“First of all, basketball is not a class and second of all, no, I do not and yet I still get A's on all the tests. So, don’t worry about me.” Julian stuck out his tongue. “Bryce is the only moron in this car that needs to go to class to get good grades. I don’t know why you even bothered with high school. You should be in college right now.”

“Mom said I need at least one year of high school for character building. I tend to agree with her.” Zachary pulled a book from his bag.

“Yeah, stop pestering him about it.” Bryce scolded. “I am tired of hearing this conversation every morning.”

“I graduated high school when I was fifteen, and he has the chance to do it at eleven. He should…”

“You also skipped out on college for three years afterward so you could tour the world. You could be a senior this year, but instead you fucked around. You made your choice and he made his, leave him alone.”

Julian put his elbow on the window and made a fist which he rested his cheek on. “Have you talked to Adonia?”

“I told you already she doesn’t like you.”

“Did I ask that?” He snapped his head around to look at his brother.

Bryce stared at him for a moment, “I talk to her whenever I go to practice. She never mentions you expect when to tell me what an ass my brother is. Normally after she’s seen you pick on someone. Usually, her friend.”

He rolled his eyes, “Hey squirt,” He kicked his little brother, “are you going to prom this year?”

Zachary glared up from his book, “I’m eleven.”

“So?”

“What am I going to do pick up my date at the closest elementary school?” He clicked his tongue, “Seriously, don’t you ever think?”

“I am just fucking around with you. Both of you are assholes this morning.” Julian crossed his arms and shoved his back against the seat behind him.

“You shouldn’t have sat on my head.” Zachary grumbled.

“Are you still on that?” He shoved him in the arm.

Bryce retaliated for his younger brother and shoved Julian back, “It hurts to have someone more then twice your weight sit on your head, especially when they have a skinny, bony ass.”

“My ass is perfection! Besides, you used to do it to me and I’m fine.”

“I’m also only three years older than you. We never had that much of a weight difference.”

“Bitch, bitch, bitch. If I wanted annoying people to complain to me all the time, I would keep a girlfriend.”

“Can you even get a girlfriend on your own?” Zachary asked. “Wasn’t the last one set up by mom?”

Julian raised his hand and pretended to back hand his brother, “Ugh, can’t wait to get rid of the two of you for the day.”

---***---

Riane made her way outside to the car waiting for her. The large green yard with several bushes that flowered in the spring always lightened her heart slightly. It was mostly because seeing this yard in the morning meant leaving the house and it's occupants behind.

Across the street, she could see the Mitchell residence, but that mansion had been empty for a few years now. She remembered when she was younger, she would try to sneak glimpses of the attractive boys that frequented the home. Now there was no activity, as they had all graduated and moved passed school to work and larger cities.

Hopping into the front scene of the black car, she smiled at her friend, Joe, who had become her driver in the last year.

Joe, or Jolene as she preferred to be called, was her age and had been at her side all her life. Her mother worked in the house as the cook. She had brought her baby daughter with her every day at Riane's mother's request. The two grew up together and she had been her only friend until middle school when she met Blake.

She went to the community college in the next town over, but scheduled her classes so she could work as Riane's driver for extra money. Unfortunately, the scheduling would force her to add an extra year or two before she could graduate.

The brunette had large blue eyes and a friendly smile. Riane was jealous of her friend's femininity, though Joe told her countless times that she had her own as well. It just did not come naturally to Riane, and she used to be proud of her tomboy appearance but she was slowly being eaten away at by her father.

“Morning.” Riane said as she threw her backpack in the back seat and sat down in the front of the car. “Can we stop somewhere?”

“Late for breakfast, again?” Joe asked as she watched her friend shut her car door.

She nodded her head and giggled as she slowly stuck out her tongue briefly. “Late and lectured, as per usual.”

“I've said it before and I'll say it again. Your father is a dick.” Joe began to drive the car to the gate.

Riane chuckled before falling into a comfortable silence as she was driven to school. Joe knew to be quiet so that her friend could prepare herself. Riane hated crowds and mostly people in general. Finding her way through the rushes from one class to another was always a challenge and Joe had been called several times while at school when Riane was having a panic attack.

Joe couldn't really blame Riane for this, as her mother feared losing her in a crowd or allowing other people to watch her. She studied from home until middle school when her father forced her to go to school. Until that day, the mansion had pretty much been all she had known.

She had begged her father to pay for Joe to attend Cerulean Harbor University. It was an elite college that only had around five hundred students at any given time. It was mostly for the young adults whose parents could afford a ridiculous sum for college. However, her father had declined and informed her that Joe's parents would have to pay for such things.

Riane's father refused to believe her anxiety was anything but a cry for attention, and therefore he refused to give it any attention. Luckily, her friend, Blake, was acutely aware of it and tried his best to meet her at all of her classes and walk her to the next.

The university was always well manicured with beautiful tapestries, flowers at every turn, and several areas for nature. There was even a beautiful koi pond in a large garden in the back of the school.

Every student that stepped out of their cars were covered in jewelry, designer clothing, and had their hair done perfectly. Riane never felt like she was one of them and in fact had gone with Joe to outlet stores to purchase her clothes.

As they pulled up to the front of the school, a dark blue car pulled in in front of them. Riane's stomach sunk as she watched the Swithin brothers get out of their car. The older brother, Bryce, seemed nice enough and would often tell his brother to leave her alone, but Julian never did. The two were among some of the people that thought she was a genuine boy.

“Just wait until they go in.” Joe told her friend as she watched Julian greet his friends, Seth and Dalen, at the front gate. Bryce had not acknowledged them and simply walked toward the school's court to his first class.

“They might skip first class with him. I could be waiting out here all day.” Riane told her and took a deep breath. “You'll be here to pick me up, right?”

“I will not be late, I promise.”

She nodded her head, before opening the door and stepping out. She was quick to open the backseat door and grab her backpack. She gave her friend one last look, before shutting the door and turning to face the gauntlet of morons.

Dressed in baggy jeans and a baggy blue and red stripped shirt, Riane hoped that she would go unnoticed as she did most days. However, there were days that it seemed Julian couldn't help but be where ever she was and zone in on her the moment her eyes fell on him.

Today would be the latter, she realized as their eyes met.

“If it isn't Ryan!” Julian shouted as scores of other classmates moved passed them and into the school grounds.

Riane didn't mind that people thought she was male, however the problem stemmed that her voice was very much female. They liked to mock her for speaking like a girl or telling her that she should change her gender because she wasn't given the body of a man. In truth, she could have easily told them she was really a female, but she suspected that upon knowing that information they would only have more ammunition. She much preferred to be teased over lies. At least, they were calling her a girl and feminine.

“If it isn't CHU's very own hermaphrodite.” Julian walked over to him with his friends by his side.

Dalen had long brown hair that fell passed his shoulders that he liked to keep in a ponytail. He was tall and lanky, but seemed friendly enough. He had stood up against Julian a couple times when he had gone too far.

Seth, on the other hand, was a short hair blonde. He liked to work out with heavy weights and he had a body that proved it. Though, he was the shortest one of the group, he was also the meanest.

“Hermaphrodite, really, Julian?” Dalen snorted. “That's so...”

“Yes, Julian. Hermaphrodites can't help it, they were born that way.” Seth added with a sinister laugh, “This is just a girl dressed up as a boy.”

The comment made a small smile come to Riane's face as they didn't know how much that was true, and therefore was not an insult to her.

She tried to push passed them, but they didn't seem interested in letting her go. Both Seth and Julian jumped in her way several times.

“What's the matter? Going to have another attack?” Seth asked and then pretended to cry in an effort to mock her.

She would always regret the day, she melted down in front of them because they caught her in the middle of the school courtyard. So many people surrounding her and they wouldn't let her run. Eventually, she began to feel like she couldn't breath and starting to cry as well. She had asked them to help her and instead the three looked terrified. They ran off and left her in the middle of the crowd, helpless. She had hoped that they would leave her alone after that, but instead they teased her mercifully over it.

“Ryan!” A voice called from inside the gate and Blake appeared from the crowd. “Let's go, man!”

Blake was tall and broad. His hair was golden and his face chiseled. Upon seeing him, Riane forgot all about the two boys in front of her and allowed her heart to flutter. She was quick to rush to his side and say her good mornings. Seth and Julian stood aside as they didn't want to mess with the much taller and larger man.

---***---

The three men made their way to the gym and went to hide behind the building after their brief encounter with Riane and Blake. They leaned against a wall as Seth pulled out a joint and began to light it. He took a couple puffs before passing it over to Julian, and then Julian to Dalen. This circle of passing continued while they spoke to one another.

“Did you see Adonia?” Julian asked while holding his breath and then blew the smoke out quickly through his mouth.

Seth groaned at that question as he knew he was going to hear it right away. Whenever they spent time apart, Julian would often ask after Adonia. Did they see her? Or his story about his spotting of her. She was an attractive girl, but she had made herself clear on how she felt about Julian.

Dalen shook his head, “No, and what do you care? Everyone knows she has the hots for your brother. You should look towards Ivy, everyone knows you can have her eating out of your hands within moments.”

Seth laughed, “Please, he could have her panties off just by saying hello.” The other two joined him in his laughter, “Seriously, dude. Adonia doesn't want you. She made that pretty clear all of last year, and you are still going to try to hump that tree this year?”

“Yeah, why not? Persistence can pay off.” Julian had been leaning against the beige painted concrete wall, but stood up and walked a couple steps away.

“Why can't you go persistently fuck Ivy, instead?” Seth asked as he made pelvic thrusts towards Dalen, who shoved him away.

“I don't want Ivy. I want Adonia.” Julian said it matter-of-factually as if his friend had just asked him the dumbest question on Earth.

Dalen chuckled. “There it is. It was like this with Anne and Sasha. He pretends that he is all player, but he only ever really wants one girl.”

Seth nodded his head and laughed as he blew smoke out. “Only one vagina can be serviced by this man at a time.”

“Fuck you both!” Julian snapped and offered them both of his middle fingers with a grin on his lips.

“Oh, hey.” Dalen seemed to remember something in that moment. “Your mother called my mother the other day.”

“Yeah, so?” Julian walked over to Seth who was now hogging what was left of the joint. He snatched it away and took another hit.

“So, she was asking about my sister's marriage plans.” Dalen pressed his back against the wall. “When my mom told her that my sister won't be involved in an arrangement, she was upset and asked if we could still get her together with you.”

Julian threw the joint to the ground and raced over to his friend in a fit of faux fury.“What? That fucking troll?”

Dalen put his hands out as Julian rushed over to him and shoved him on his chest. “That's my sister, you are talking about!”

“Sorry, sorry!” Julian threw up his hands as Seth rushed over to save the joint that had been tossed into the wet grass.

“She is not a troll. She's... my sister and I feel weird saying she's pretty so don't fucking make me say it, got it?”

“I'd hit that.” Seth added as he tried to revive the joint but it was too late.

“Thanks.” He fist bumped Seth, then frowned as he turned to him. “Don't touch my sister! I am fucking serious!”

Seth laughed as he put the joint in his pocket to see if he could save it later once it had dried out a little more.

“Fuck your sister!” Julian barked.

“No, he said don't fuck her.” Seth retorted and he and Dalen laughed together, but Julian did seem amused anymore.

“What the hell did you mean by arrangement?” Julian shoved Dalen in the arm in order to get his attention away from Seth and onto him.

Dalen continued to chuckle, “Arrangement. Arranged marriage.”

Julian froze in place for several seconds, “Wait, what? Bryce doesn't even have one of those and he is the heir. Why the hell would I need an arranged marriage?”

Seth shrugged his shoulders, “Dude, it is no big deal. I have one. I've met her like twice. She's nice and when the time comes we don't even have to go through with it. Think of it like a back up plan in case you don't get Adonia to fall head over hells.”

“I don't care if you have one! Why does my mother want me to have one?” He turned his attention to Dalen who shrugged.

Reaching into his pocket, he grabbed his cellphone and hurry to call his mother. It went to voice mail and he began to yell into the phone. “Mother! Are you trying to set me up in an arranged marriage? Are you deranged? Call me back now!”

“The way you speak to your mother.” Dalen slowly shook his head. “My mother would drive down here, find me in class, and beat me within an inch of my life in front of all the other students.”

“Shut up, Dalen! My mother is trying to force me to marry someone! That warrants yelling!” Julian looked down at his phone but there was no call or message. “Call me back!”

They watched Julian pace back and forth for a while, before Dalen turned to Seth. “You never told me that you were in an arranged marriage.”

Seth shrugged, “It wasn't a big deal to me. Like I said, she's nice. Are your parents considering one for you?”

He shook his head, “No, they think they are outdated and worthless, besides I don't think my parents really care if I marry rich. They much prefer me to just have a wife that I love, I think.”

“Call me!” Julian yelled once more.

“How ideological of them.” Seth replied as he pulled some cologne from his coat pocket and sprayed himself, he then offered it to Dalen who used it as well.

“Cologne, Julian?” Dalen offered.

“No, I told you before I don't want to wear the same cologne as you two. It makes it seem like we come back here and cuddle with each other!”

Dalen and Seth shook their heads as they watched Julian yell at his phone some more before throwing it into the grass.

“That'll help.” Dalen sighed as Julian moved to fetch his phone. “Want to stay here and watch his hissy fit or go to class?”

Seth thought about it for a moment, “Let's get to class. Hissy fits are a dime a dozen.”

The two began to leave and Julian turned on his phone to see if it still worked. When he turned around to tell them it was alright, they were already in the distance with their backs firmly towards him. He shrugged it off and walked over to his backpack that was on the ground. Sitting down beside it, he began to implement his plan of sending his mother an ungodly amount of texts.

---***---

“Blake! Ryan!” A girl cried out the names as the two of them made their way out of the cafeteria to eat away from everyone.

The long legged cheerleader rushed over to them. Her platinum blonde hair had been curled that morning and her make-up was immaculate. She looked like she was ready for a photo shoot in her high heeled boots that came up to her thighs, her jeans nicely placed within the boot, and a button up shirt.

She threw her arms around both of their necks. “Come eat with me!”

Blake shook his head, “Nah, Ryan and I hate eating in here. We like to sit on the grass or near grass if it's too wet.”

“A picnic then? Let me get my tray!”

The large cafeteria had high quality food prepared by trained chefs. There were days when escargot was on the menu and even caviar.

Running to her table, she talked to her friends who all gave a loud “Ooooh” sound before she grabbed her tray and began to come towards them.

“I think she likes you.” Riane told her friend, who nodded his head which was a gesture that made her uncertain. Did he like it? Was he annoyed by it? She hoped that latter even though she liked the girl herself.

The three walked to some stairs nearby as the grass was obviously wet. Sitting down on the first step, the girl put her tray on her lap. Blake and Riane looked at each other and sat down on the pavement in front of her.

“This will be difficult to eat!” She laughed as she showed them her steak that needed to be cut up.

Blake and Riane laughed, but then Blake took her tray from her and made quick work of her food. “Wouldn't want you to be late for class?” He said with a smile.

“Thank you, Blake.” She giggled and stared at him lovingly. Her infatuation with him was obvious and Riane thought she meant it to be.

“You look very nice today, Adonia.” Riane complimented her as she wanted to make the two of them stop staring and smiling at each other. Not only was she jealous, but they were starting to make her feel like a third wheel in what should have been her and Blake's lunch together.

She smiled at Riane, “Thank you. I had to wake up early in order to get my hair curled, but it was fun. You should come over to my house someday and we can dress you up.”

“Ryan doesn't want to play dress up. He likes being a boy. Only time I have ever seen him in anything girlie was a bikini when we went swimming. Right, Ryan?” Blake looked over at her with a smile as if he was standing up for her.

His words hurt slightly though as she wasn't trying to be a boy. She just never corrected people when they called her one due to the fact that her mother taught her now to do so. She told her it was rude, but as she got older she realized it was because she was trying to convince her father that she could be a boy.

Adonia saw the hesitation in Riane and spoke before she could lie to agree with her friend. “That's nonsense, Blake. Girls like to get in dresses and frolic around in flowered fields just like in the movies sometimes.” She laughed.

“Ryan is not a girl.” He tried to say nicely, but it sounded as if he was becoming annoyed. “He's a boy.”

There was that dagger. Adonia knew she was female, and she had asked Riane which pronoun she identified with, to which she replied it didn't matter to her, but she was decidedly female. However, it seemed like Blake didn't like the idea of her being a girl, ever. If she wasn't a girl to him at all then she would never be seen as anything more than a friend.

She had thought about wearing more girlie clothes but often wondered if that would mean changing herself for someone other than herself. She did not like the idea of that at all. It didn't matter, she had never gone outside of the house with girl clothing on. She felt strange like a bear in a tutu.

Mustering up her voice, she spoke to Adonia. “I'd like to learn how to put on make-up. No one has ever taught me.”

Adonia stomped her feet together giddy. “Oh, please, please, please. Let me teach you! Come over to my house. It would be so much fun.”

Riane nodded her head with a grin on her face and when she looked at Blake, he was frowning at the conversation. For this brief moment, he had to realize that she was really a girl. It was a small victory for her.

“How was your party this weekend, Adonia?” Riane asked after a moment of silence that began to turn awkward.

“It was wonderful. I really wish you would have come. Blake and I danced a bunch.” She stabbed a piece of her meat and began to eat it. “Tastes better now that you've cut it up for me.”

Blake chuckled at her comment and continued to eat the lasagna and green beans that he had on his plate.

“I thought you said you weren't going.” Riane asked him and tried to ignore the flirting that was occurring in front of her.

Suddenly, Blake and Adonia looked down before the girl spoke. “I'm sorry, Blake, I forgot.” Her voice was timid and low.

He put his tray on the concrete in front of him and seemed a bit annoyed with Adonia. Turning to Riane, he began to speak. “I wasn't going to, but then I realized why I didn't want to go.”

“Why?” Riane asked and she could see Adonia slowly growing uncomfortable and she knew that this conversation would be painful already.

“If I went with you; I would have to babysit you the entire evening or you would have a panic attack.” He tossed his hands up and sighed, “Sometimes, I need time where I can go out and have fun while not worrying about you in the corner by yourself.” Blake explained it frankly with no malice in his voice.

Riane looked at him for several moments. She could feel her heart slowly begin to ache as she realized that she was being a burden to the one person she never wanted to cause trouble for. This entire conversation had been heartbreaking enough without this added gem. She couldn't stand to be this embarrassed in front of Adonia, and that Adonia knew before she did hurt even more. “I... I see.” Standing up with her tray, she began to walk away from the two.

“Where are you going, Ryan?” Blake asked as he stood up himself to follow after her, but grabbed his tray to take with him.

Adonia stopped him, “Wait, let me go talk to her.”

He shook her off his arm rushed after his friend.

---***---

Riane ran until she was no longer being chased. She figured that Blake had stopped when the bells rang for the next class. Leaning against the concrete, beige wall, she inhaled deeply as she tried to catch her breath.

After a moment, she realized that her face was streamed with tears and quickly wiped them off with the sleeves of her jacket. She had no idea where or when she lost her lunch tray, but she had tossed it to the ground at some point. She wanted to get away from Blake more than she wanted to eat her lunch or at least that was the decision made for her at some point.

Once she was calm, she thought to go to class but realized that Blake would be waiting for her after each one. He knew her schedule and a panic came over her. She pulled out her cellphone from her pocket to call Joe when a scent of cigarette smoke engulfed her.

Turning her head, there he sat on the ground with his cellphone in one hand and a cigarette in the other. They were only ten feet from each other, so he must have known she was there, but he had said nothing while she cried and caught her breath. Either he just did not care or he was more kind than she thought.

"Are you in an arranged marriage?" Julian finally asked her after she had stared at him for several moments. "The girls that enter them... I mean they can't all be desperate and unable to find a date, right? They have to be doing it for business reasons, and they could be hot."

"What?" Riane asked as she had no idea where this conversation was coming from, and more importantly she couldn't believe he wasn't making fun of her for crying.

Julian looked up from his phone, "Arranged. Marriage. Are. You. In. One?"

She slowly shook her head.

"Ok, let me ask you this." Julian slide up the wall in order to stand up. "Why would a mother want to find one of her sons a wife at eighteen, when she has a twenty year old son that does not have one?"

"Eighteen seems a little young to think about marriage, isn't it?" Riane asked.

"Yes!" Julian yelled, "I know! So, why? Why is she doing this? Why do I need a wife lined up for me? It's not like we are the elite at this school. We do not need this type of bullshit."

"What does your father do?" Riane asked, even though she couldn't believe she was having a normal conversation with Julian.

"He owns Swithin Studios. You know that ugly blue S that is all wrapped up around an ugly red S at the end of all your favorite movies. Looks like the S's are fucking each other. So, just some Hollywood asshole that isn't part of some business conglomerate. I am not even going to work there after college, it is my brother that will be doing that trash." He looked back down at his phone and sighed. "Are your parents thinking of arranged marriages for you?"

"Probably, my father likes to control every aspect of my life. Deciding who I marry would probably be the ultimate pleasure for him." Riane felt uncomfortable and wanted to leave but she was afraid of making Julian upset.

"Nairne Corporation, right?" He watched her nod. "Simon Nairne, venture capitalist and complete asshole at every party I've ever attended. Does he just not know how to network?"

She chuckled, "If he is at a party it is because my step-mother wanted to be there. She is the social butterfly and my father only cares about people that can make him money."

Julian nodded his head.

"So, this arranged marriage have you met her yet?" Riane asked as she slowly realized she had no where to go and might as well milk this conversation for all it was worth.

"Nah, she doesn't exist yet... or she does but no contract." He took another hit from his cigarette. "Why are you crying back here like a bitch?"

"Oh, uh, friend hurt my feelings."

Julian laughed for several moments over that response. "Dude, you can't go around crying like a little girl because someone hurt your fucking feelings. Just say, 'Fuck you, asshole.' Then move on. Don't be a bitch."

"Yeah, I guess." Riane remembered that he thought she was male and he is a cruel person, as for a moment there it was as if he was almost human.

He chuckled at her response and then inhaled from his cigarette as he spoke smoke slowly poured from his mouth. "You aren't too bad of a guy. That is a guy that sounds and looks like a fucking girl. You'll have to get yourself a butch girlfriend to fight for you."

"I don't think I would want a girlfriend to fight my battles." She sighed, "Is this what you do all day? Smoke behind the gym?"

"Professors give you a curriculum at the beginning of every quarter, so I just do that and turn it in at the end of the day. I show up for tests and they keep their mouths shut. I don't need them to teach me, I can teach myself just fine. Besides, they simplify certain subject matters for the idiots at this school, and I can't listen to that shit." He tossed the cigarette to the ground and stepped on it to stop it from burning.

"Are you that smart?"

Julian snorted and turned so his shoulder was touching the wall and he was staring at her. "I am a fucking genius. Therefore, you are one of those idiots I was just talking about."

Riane turned to lean against the wall with her own shoulder. Julian had at least six inches on her and therefore she still had to look up at him. "Why do you always pick on me? What did I ever do to you?"

He shrugged, "You make yourself an easy target, I guess. Stop being a push over. Go to the gym and get some muscle for fuck's sake. I mean Seth is like an inch taller than you but at least he tries to not look like a puss."

"Is the world only about aesthetics for you?"

Julian smirked, "There are two people that can keep up with me mentally, and those are my brothers. So, yeah, everyone else is aesthetic."

"You are friends with Dalen and Seth because you like how they look?" She teased, but immediately stop smirked when he glared at her.

"I'm friends with them because they make me look good." He returned to leaning against the wall with his back. "Are you planning on staying here for the rest of the damn day?"

"Uh, sorry. I'll find somewhere else to hide." She pushed herself away from the wall though her backpack made it difficult. "Thanks for chatting with me."

"I didn't say you had to go, did I?" Julian watched as she thought for a moment and laughed when he realized how confused she was. "You hiding from your friend?"

She nodded, "He walks me from class to class, so he knows my schedule and I want to avoid him for the rest of the day."

"First of all, that's fucking weird. Are you two dating? Second of all, go ahead and hide, but you'll have to talk to him eventually and when you do tell him he's a fucking asshole, but don't tell him he made you cry. Do you have any food?"

"I have a candy bar, do you want it?"

He chuckled once more. "Are you seriously letting me steal your food from you now? This is that pussy crap that I was talking about right here."

"I am sharing, ever heard of it?" She snapped.

"Oh, there's some backbone! Fine, give me half."

She took her backpack off and set it on the ground in front of her to lean over and fetch the candy bar out. "Weird to be talking to you like this."

"Yeah, it's a one time thing. Don't get fucking used to it. Give me the candy, I have a knife." He snatched it away and Riane realized she would be spending the rest of her day with this morning's bully.

---***---

Two hours passed by so eventually Julian and Riane found themselves sitting on the ground and chatting with one another. She learned about his genius younger brother and she told him about how she got a step-mother and brother all in one day. It was the strangest feeling talking to someone who had just that morning made her stomach turn for fear of being pushed around.

"So, then we just pick Zack up and throw him into this giant cake. His legs just go straight in and he is stuck in there for a couple seconds before the integrity of the cake just collapses." Julian told her with laughter in his voice as Riane laughed along with his story. "Near next to explodes, and my mother comes running into the room and sees this disaster and just starts screaming at the top of her lungs. No words just screaming like a tiger just ate Zack."

Riane wiped tears from her eyes, "Did you get into trouble?"

"Oh, yeah! My mom is a push over but my dad is a hard ass. He was home at the time, and I lost my car for a year. Luckily, I was going hiking in Europe so it didn't bother me." Julian was eating from a small bag of chips he had bought from a nearby vending machine.

"Why didn't they revoke your hiking trip?" Riane asked before taking a sip of her soda.

"Eh, I think my dad wanted me gone for a while. I've always been the trouble maker in the family. The black sheep." He didn't seem to say that happily.

"Middle children are often attention seekers." Riane told him before reaching into the bag and taking some of his chips.

"Yeah, I suppose so. So, what about your mom? You talked about your step-mom but not your real mom." He watched her face change drastically.

"Oh, my mom left with a big settlement and enough alimony to live off the rest of her life, but part of the deal was leaving me behind. I get a card or a phone call on major holidays and my birthday. I haven't seen her since she left other than video chat once or twice." Riane pressed her lips together.

"That sucks balls." Julian said in a high pitched voice before looking at something behind her. "Hey."

Seth and Dalen approached the duo cautiously. They had decided to skip the rest of their classes and look in on Julian's temper tantrum.

"What is going on here?" Dalen asked as Julian and Riane stood from the concrete and wiped their dirty hands on their pants.

"Nothing." Julian offered the bag of chips out which Dalen took and looked inside to find only crumbs. "Just talking."

"That much is obvious, but how... why is the he/she here?" Seth glared at Riane with a curled lip to show disgust.

"Little man is cool." Julian told them and they both immediately nodded their heads as if that meant everything up to that moment was to be erased and Riane was suddenly their friend. "I was just talking to him about standing up for himself. That Blake guy fucking walks him from class to class like he is a god damn child, and then his dad controls his entire life."

"No shit, that sucks, man." Seth took the chip bag that Dalen was offering him and glared at him when he discovered it was empty.

"Nairne Corp, right?" Dalen asked and watched her nod. "Your dad is a major tool. Talks down to everyone. Your mom is cool though."

"Step-mom, and yes she is." Riane corrected.

He nodded his head as if saying he understood. "Hurstmart over here. So, nothing as fancy as your dad's job."

"Hurstmart: The Poor People Store." Seth teased, "My dad is Richard Barras. I assume you have heard of him."

"No." Riane shook her head.

"Famous plastic surgeon for celebrities. He is basically the only doctor that Swithin Studios recommends to them." Seth was bragging, but in truth Riane was not allowed to watch movies or even listening to music that she wasn't playing.

"Sorry, I am not allowed to watch movies. I only know celebrity names from hearing them in passing." Riane shrugged.

"Get the fuck out." Julian said and dangled his arm over her shoulder. "We'll have to have you over for a movie marathon some time."

Riane swallowed, "I am only allowed to travel between school and home, and occasionally to go shopping."

The three of them stared at her as if she were some sort of prehistoric creature come to life. She thought for a moment they were going to make fun of her, but instead there was laughter for a brief moment.

"Then we will bring tablets with movies on them." Dalen laughed, "Your dad is a real ass, man."

"Actually, I think he prefers legs." Riane said with uncertainty but it was to make them laugh, but she did not know if it was the right thing to say.

However, all three of them laughed even more loudly than they had before and Julian punched her in the arm.

Seth finally spoke as he looked to Julian. "Alright, he is cool."

Dalen nodded in agreement. "You got a girl, Little Man?" Dalen asked as the group of four sat down on the ground and Seth pulled out the joint from earlier that morning.

"No." Riane answered though she was beginning to realize that the longer she let them call her a male the more they might resent her later. It was more than likely the reason that Blake still called her a he, as he didn't want to admit that he didn't find out she was a girl for three years until high school.

The joint was lit and passed around, but Riane waved it away. "If my dad smells that on me, he will kill me." She said as she stood up and tried to move away from the group.

"Put it out." Julian stood up. "Dude, we really have to get you a pair. You're being a fucking puss. Can't you stand up to anyone? You are a grown man. You shouldn't let your dad control you like this."

"Says the man whose mommy is finding him a wife." Dalen laughed.

"Son of a bitch." Julian looked at his phone, "She still hasn't called or messaged me back. I am going to kill her."

"He's right though." Seth continued to smoke even though he had been told to put it out. "The longer you let him control you into adulthood the harder it will be to struggle and break free."

"Or at least tell your friend to back the fuck off." Dalen added.

"You three are just wise gurus, aren't you? Giving advice on things you don't understand while smoking behind a gym and skipping classes." Riane growled. "I knew losers in high school who did this and they work at gas stations now."

The three guys laughed as they looked around at each other.

"See, there is a spine in there, but your trash talk stinks." Julian walked over to his friend to take a hit off the joint. "We'll work on it."

Riane did not know why she stayed with them, but for the first time she felt comfortable around people that weren't Blake or Joe, even if they were annoying advice pushers pumped full of weed.

---***---

Classes were at an end, and as Adonia stepped out of her final classroom she noticed Blake standing in the hallway of lockers. At the end of the day, all three of them would walk out to their cars and say their goodbyes to each other. She smiled as she skipped towards him and playfully hit him in the arm.

"Everything work out with Ryan?" She asked as she bounced beside him and other students moved passed them to get to their cars and return home.

He slowly shook his head, "He threw his tray at me and disappeared. He hasn't been to his classes all day. I am starting to worry he is having a panic attack right now and is all alone."

"Her attacks are due to people, right? So, if she is alone, she shouldn't be having one." She was trying to make him feel better but could see that she only annoyed him, both with what she was saying and the pronouns she was using. After seeing Riane hurt over his words at lunch, Adonia decided to stop amusing Blake and start helping him see his friend as the girl she wanted to be.

"I mean alone as in no friends. Strangers can't really calm him down." He rubbed his hand over his forehead. "I am sorry, Adonia. I am going to check the school grounds and talk to the nurse, you'll have to walk out by yourself."

"Nonsense, I'll speak to the nurse and then meet you to search around, alright?" She watched him nod and then began to head down the hall. "Oh, and Blake?"

He turned around to face her, "Yes?"

"I am really sorry. I completely forgot that you asked me not to tell her. This is all my fault." She lowered her head and looked at the ground. "I made a promise and I broke it."

Blake walked over to stand next to her and placed his hand on her shoulder. "This is not your fault. I was the one that asked you to lie for me, and I lied to him. I shouldn't have put either of you in this position."

Adonia nodded her head, "Alright. I'll call you if I find anything." She headed in the opposite direction down the hall.

Through the crowds, Adonia quickly made her way towards the nurse's office that was located next to the gym. Her head swirled with worries for Riane, jealousy of Blake's devotion to Riane, and concern for Blake over his worry. She couldn't pick an emotion.

She knew her jealousy was ridiculous as Blake thought of Riane as his male friend, but it did not make Riane any more male since it was obvious to her that Riane thought of Blake as more than just her friend. She could see it in her friend's eyes whenever she first saw Blake in the morning. She knew that look because she used it on him as well.

However, she knew not to mention it to Blake. Just like she wasn't suppose to mention their relationship to each other. It was a secret right now, because Blake was afraid of how Riane would react since she had bad reactions to other girlfriends. Though it was mostly jealousy from those girlfriends that caused a problem when they found out his best friend was female.

It felt like more lies. Riane should be told the truth, and not treating like a temperamental toddler who will scream when you take their candy away.

"Row sham bow!" Two voice yelled as she moved closer to the gym.

Julian and his friends were in their usual after school spot, and playing their idiotic games. Adonia wondered how someone who was so intelligent was so immature. She hoped to move passed without any notice from him.

"Ow!" A familiar voice rang out from the small group as they were flicked on the forehead for losing the round of rock, paper, scissors.

Adonia stopped in her tracks, and looked over at Seth, Julian, Dalen, and... Riane?

"Little man, you got to stop picking paper." Seth laughed.

"Seriously." Dalen added, "I know they tell you not to play with scissors, but these are just your damn fingers."

Riane laughed as Julian ruffled her hair. "Dumb ass ginger."

Pulling her phone from her purse, Adonia called Blake. "I found her. She's by the gym with... Julian Swithin."

"I swear I'll kill him if he has..." Blake began but Adonia hung up the phone as she made her way over to the group.

Julian noticed her first and suddenly straightened himself out. He had just won a round and Seth was leaning forward ready to take the smack to his forehead. Instead, Julian shoved him away and smiled as Adonia approached.

She, of course, ignored him. "Where have you been? Skipping class? Hanging out with these losers?"

"Hey!" Seth and Dalen said in unison.

"Blake has been worried sick all day!" Adonia yelled at Riane. "I was worried to death as well! Could you not text us to say you were alright?"

Riane pulled her cellphone out of her pocket and looked at the screen. She had received over thirty texts from Blake during the day. "Oh, I wasn't looking at my phone. Julian and I..."

"Julian? Why would you want to be around this jerk?" Adonia pointed at him and Julian slowly deflated. "How much pain and bother has he caused you this year? He dumped your backpack all over the hallway and they kicked it everywhere! Do you not remember that?"

"I remember, I..."

"Blake is on his way here. Let's go!" She grabbed Riane's upper arm, but another hand came in to her rescue and shoved her hand away.

"He isn't a child." Julian snapped. "No wonder he can't stick up for himself if his friends treat him like a toddler. Walking him to class and yelling at him for skipping a couple classes."

"No shit." Seth added. "Little man is pretty fucking awesome."

Dalen hung his arm over Riane's shoulder. "Go be someone else's mommy. Preferably to an actual child."

Riane stepped forward, "It's alright, guys. She was just worried about me."

"Where have you been?" Blake's voice could be heard in the distance.

"And here comes big daddy." Seth sighed. "Dude, you seriously have to stop letting them baby you. They can play house with a doll."

"Yeah, come hang with us." Julian added.

Blake ran up beside Adonia, and stared at Riane. "I've gone to every class looking for you. What are you doing with these people?"

Riane didn't respond to him and instead looked to Julian, "My driver is waiting, so I have to go home or my father will flip."

"Alright, see ya." He waved and headed back behind the gym.

"You got our numbers." Dalen pushed her in the shoulder and followed after Julian with Seth following behind him.

---***---

"Will you stop and talk to me?" Blake asked as he and Adonia followed closely behind Riane as she marched her way to the front of the university.

She didn't want to talk to him, instead she wanted to get into the car with Joe and go home. She didn't even realize that she had left her backpack behind and that Blake had grabbed it for her. Moving her feet as fast as she could without actually running, Riane didn't want to look at Blake nor speak to him. She wanted him to leave her alone for now and let her have time to herself, but he never allowed that.

The words of Julian had been true in some form. Blake was like an overprotective father figure in that he did things for her that a normal friend would not do nor should they be asked to do. In their friendship, he had let go of girlfriends because they didn't like her or instead of going to prom he played board games with her at her house with Joe, who also did not go to her prom.

The more that she was told that Blake was not her father that day, the more she realized that she made someone she loved into a father-like figure. Was she at all surprised that he saw her as a son or a younger brother when that was how she acted? It wasn't Blake or Adonia who were at fault, it was her own doing. She wanted them to treat her like this and they did. It was the only way that Blake knew how to treat her. He had been doing it since the first day of middle school when he saw her hesitate to go inside.

"Ryan, stop!" Blake ran in front of her and blocked her way. "Your backpack." He held it out to her and she snatched it away from him. "Look, I am sorry. I should have been honest with you from the beginning. I didn't want to hurt your feelings, and instead I hurt them and made myself into a liar. That's not cool. Ok, I'm sorry."

Adonia stood to the side facing both of them while they stood facing each other. "He really is sorry, and I am sorry that I was so insensitive. Let's just forget about this all, please?"

Riane said nothing as she put her backpack on and tried to move passed him, but Blake stepped in the way. "Joe is waiting for me, move."

"Not until we talk." Blake crossed his arms.

Looking up at him, he stared down at her with eyes that showed his pain and yet eyes that were exactly the picture that was painted for her today. They were fatherly or perhaps brotherly, and that brought rage to her heart. Without thinking, she shoved him with both hands as hard as she could and he stumbled backwards.

"Leave me alone!" She screamed.

"Ryan!" Adonia was shocked to see her actions and moved to stand next to a shocked Blake. "He is just trying to apologize."

"He is bullying me into staying and talking to him by using his size as an advantage. I want to go home!" Riane barked when an arm suddenly appeared over her shoulder. Her neck was squeezed in a friendly manner, and she looked to see who was doing this.

Julian smirked at Blake and Adonia before looking at her. "Come on, I'll walk you to your car since these two won't leave you be."

Seth and Dalen were with him.

Walking away, Blake and Adonia stood stunned over what they were witnessing. They couldn't understand what had unfolded during the hours that Riane was not with them. How was Julian being friendly?

Once they got to the gate, Julian removed his arm from around her neck. "This is a one time deal, Little Man. You don't need people escorting you all over. You are not the Princess of CHU, understand?"

He said no more as he walked to his dark blue car and climbed into the back seat. His brother was waiting for him and the car pulled away.

Her black car had the driver's seat door open and Joe stepped out while Seth and Dalen were standing next to Riane.

"You coming?" Joe asked though she was curious about why Julian had walked her to the gate.

"I thought you said you didn't have a girl." Seth slowly looked Joe over.

"I don't that's my friend and driver." Riane told them.

"Introduce us." Dalen more ordered then requested as he shoved her in the arm in a playful manner.

Shaking her head, Riane began to walk to the car door and hopped into the passenger seat, before the two men could talk to Joe, she jumped inside her car and drove away.

"What the hell was that?" Joe asked as she looked in her rear view mirror at the two guys they had left behind.

"You will not believe what happened to me today." Riane hadn't taken off her backpack when she climbed inside and therefore did not have her seat belt on while she took it off. Once it was in the back seat and her seat belt was on, she continued. "I skipped half my classes today and hung out with Julian Swithin."

"What? How? Why? I have so many questions." Joe said with shock in her voice. "First, how did you even... do that?"

"Blake and I got into a fight, or I guess it wasn't much of a fight." She didn't want to explain too much to Joe, as she had been known to explode on people. Blake had been the object of her anger more than was fair. "Anyway, I got away and I was resting and there he was. Just sitting by himself, and he started asking me about arranged marriages. I guess his mother is trying to find him one and he doesn't understand why."

"That little asshole actually talked to you... like a person?" Joe could barely believe it. "I thought he was incapable of normal human communication."

"So did I. Apparently, he is some sort of super genius and is very bored at this school. He skips all his classes except test days." Riane smirked as she thought about her day.

"Weird day for you, then?"

"Actually, it was kind of nice being around people that didn't know anything about me. I never connected the dots for them about my panic attacks, so they misunderstood why Blake walks me around, but he deserved their scorn today." Riane sighed as she leaned back in her chair but then immediately sat up. "Joe! I missed half of my classes today! I don't know what we studied, I didn't record the lectures, and I don't know what the homework is! Father will kill me!"

"Calm down. I will just say that you got sick half way through the day and had me come get you. When he asks why I didn't bring you home right away, I will say that... um... damn." She clicked her tongue.

"We can't say you took me to the doctors, we have no proof of that." She thought as she placed her fingers over her mouth. "Oh, I know. Julian says that he does all his homework off the curriculum. I can look that up, and just say that I forgot my recorder at home."

"Wow, did we just solve an issue with information from Julian Swithin?" Joe laughed.

Riane nodded her head and giggled. "Yes, who would have thought when we woke up this morning?"

---***---

Bryce sat in the backseat of the car next to his brother. He had ear buds in his ears as he listened to music on his cellphone and stared out the window at the passing scenery. They were on their way to the high school to get Zachary, and then head home.

Julian began his homework which unless it was an essay, he would have it finished before they reached their house. Both brothers were quiet and hadn't said a word since Julian had gotten into the car.

It wasn't until Zachary was picked up did the conversation start, as Bryce stopped listening to his music and starting talking with his brother. Though Julian was annoyed that it was no longer silent, he did not say anything as he tried to finish his work.

"We should play a video game or something after I help you with your homework." Zachary said to his older brother. "I'm in the mood to blow things up."

Bryce nodded his head, "Alright."

After several more moments of them discussing what they wanted to play, Julian finished what he could in the car and looked over at his older brother.

"Mom is trying to put me in an arranged marriage." He announced to the car.

Both brothers stopped their discussion and looked over at the middle brother.

"That poor girl." Zachary finally said which made Bryce laugh, but resulted in Julian punching him in the arm.

"I'm serious. Why would she look into that for me? Why isn't she trying to put you in one?" He zipped up his backpack and tossed his back against the seat of the car.

Bryce licked his bottom lip briefly before sucking on it.

"He's sucking his lip!" Zachary screeched out, which made Julian sit up and turn toward his brother as Zachary was sitting between them. Now that he had his older brothers fighting, he pulled out a book and began to read.

"You asshole, you knew?" Julian barked. "You knew and you didn't warn me. Do you know how embarrassing this is? Mom running around begging people for a fiance for me?"

Bryce sighed, "It's not that big of a deal. Mom found out that it was quite common to set up kids at a young age, and that the marriages were long lasting and helped out the businesses."

"I'm never working at dad's place, so why does it matter?" Julian shoved Zachary's head back into the seat so he could see his older brother, as the younger boy was moving around quite a bit.

Bryce reached across Zachary and shoved Julian's forehead, before he replied. "Look, it is better if you talk to her about this. She will have more fully fleshed out answers, then what little I cared to remember."

"Tell me!" Julian grabbed his little brother in a headlock, but the boy didn't seem to mind and just continued to read his book.

"Ask mom!"

He released his little brother and pulled out his cellphone to show his brother all the texts he had sent throughout the day. "I have been calling and texting her all day, she won't answer me!"

"Maybe she thinks it is better discussed in person, and she is probably getting your messages and knows that you are becoming more persistent. I know I don't want to talk to you when you get like that." Bryce looked out the window after that comment which was his way of saying that the conversation was over.

It wasn't long after that they were home, and Julian jumped out of the car to run into the large mansion to find his mother. He ran down the long hallway to the dining room where his mother often waited for them with after school snacks.

His tall, fit mother with long black hair sat at the table with a variety of fruits she had cut up for them. She looked up briefly at her son and then returned to cutting up the fruit on a bamboo chopping block she had on the table.

"Arranged marriage? Are you serious? This is by far the most outrageous thing you have ever done!" He slammed his backpack to the ground. "I will not agree to this, do you understand? I absolutely refuse!"

A voice came from behind him. "It was my decision not your mother's."

Julian turned to face his father, Colin. His tall, lanky frame was covered his a dark blue business suit. His curly black hair was full of product and he wore his thick black rimmed glasses as usual.

"What? Why?"

"First, apologize to your mother for the harassing voice mail and text messages, and for the way you spoke to her just now." His father glared him down until Julian turned to his mother.

"I apologize for my behavior today."

"Dad!" Zachary called out from down the hall and came running over to his father to give him a hug. Bryce followed behind him and one arm hugged his father as Colin held his youngest son in his arms.

"Boys, I need to speak with Julian alone, but afterward I will spend some time with you." He said as he put Zachary down.

Julian followed his father into the computer room, where his father sat down in the executive chair and Julian sat on the couch. There were three desks in the room all with desktop computers, and a small television. The couch was only really there for decoration.

"The girls you choose are not acceptable." Colin said bluntly. "From what I understand; you arrange the marriage like a business contract that helps both companies or families. Besides, for me it is less of finding you a wife, and more of finding you acceptable female company. If in the end, you refuse to marry them then what can I do? You are your own man."

"Then why do it in the first place?" Julian asked between gritted teeth.

"Your mother and I have found you suitable girls to date. You take them out a couple times, and then tossed them aside for whatever short skirted hood rat you can find. I believe that by making you sign a contract that you will put forth more effort, because one of your strengths is that you are a man of your word, correct?" Colin folded his hands in his lap and leaned back in the chair.

"So, basically this would... what? Force me to stay in a relationship with someone?" Julian wanted so badly to throw something but knew his father would punish him.

Colin nodded his head, "Yes, unless she chose to break the contract, you would have to remain in the relationship with her. No cheating, or else you will lose your inheritance."

"What?" His voice fell into a dark, low pitch.

His father nodded, "You heard me. No more humiliating girls that you bring to parties just to cause trouble. No more nude girls walking around the house after you spent the night with them. No more those same nude girls demanding money or they will go to the press. With what, I do not know, but I am tired of paying them to leave."

"If I do not agree to this, then what?" Julian tapped his index finger on the armrest of the couch.

"You lose your inheritance. I will pay for your schooling, but everything else from trust funds to bank accounts will be gone. I'm sorry, son, but this has just become an utter humiliation for your mother and me. I can not allow you to continue like this. You can't make a life with sex, drugs, and whatever loud music you are listening to right now." He stared at his son for a moment. "Are we in agreement?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"There is always a choice. Now make yours." Colin stood from his chair and held out his hand to his son. "Do we have a deal?"

Julian stood up and shook his father's hand. "Yes."

Chapter 2: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=351

Comments for Chapter1: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=425