Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(CH2) Chapter 2: Come To Light

Riane's bedroom was very different than what most might expect. It was the only place that she was allowed girlie things by her mother. So, her bed was a canopy bed with violet flowers on a white comforter.

Her desk was also white and vases with fresh flowers were placed around the room. She had a fireplace all to herself that her father never allowed her to use. That didn't matter though as it made the room look beautiful. Her bed was placed in the center of the room with dressers, a vanity, and her desk framing around it in the large room.

As she sat at her desk finishing her schoolwork, her phone buzzed as it was on silent. She looked at the screen of her cellphone at yet another photo that Seth had sent her. She had only been around them for one day and they were treating her like an old friend. Julian, Seth, and Dalen had a group conversation going with her and they would send random photos or thoughts throughout the evening.

Julian even assisted with his friend's homework which helped her since she was taking similar classes to them. The best part was he didn't just give the answers, he explained everything easily and if a friend didn't understand he would call them to explain over the phone or video chat to show them. He did it for her once that evening already over her math work.

Blake studied by himself all afternoon when he got home from school, and he would come over to her house on weekends to do study group or just to enjoy the day. At his home, all electronics were put in a basket upon entering the house, so she could never communicate with him until the one hour before his bedtime when he got his phone back. Even then he wasn't much of a texter or chatter over the phone.

She wondered what would happen at school the next day. She didn't know how to face Blake and make him stop seeing her as his little brother. They were the same age, and yet she was treated like a child, but she feared the idea of walking around the school alone.

Riane wasn't the type to hold a grudge for long and she knew that by tomorrow, she would be walking beside Blake again to her classes. As much as she wanted to tell him to stop and tell him that she was a girl, she feared for her friendship with him. She never understood why Blake insisted that she was a boy. She understood that she hadn't corrected him for three years about her gender, but her own mother had been trying to make her a boy in her father's eyes and it had been confusing time for her.

Blake had never talked about it with her. He saw the bikini, they swam around and laughed, and he never asked her anything. She had to tell him why she was the way she was, and he didn't really seem to want to hear it. He didn't even like her saying that she was female to him or anyone else, though he did not correct her just appeared annoyed or uncomfortable.

Sometimes she wondered what would happen if she did as her father instructed, and started wearing clothes for women. Tight jeans and a real bra not a sports bra that flattened her out as much as it could. No more baggy clothes like her mother instructed.

She always wanted to try them on and go outside in a dress, but once the dress went on she felt strange as if she was hurting her mother somehow. The dress would always go back into the closest and she wouldn't look at it again.

“Almost done?” Joe came into the room and tossed herself on the bed. “My mom says that dinner is almost ready, and your dad left for his trip. So, at least you'll be able to eat breakfast for a couple weeks without him barking at you.”

Her phone buzzed again and she looked at it.

“Is that Blake? This isn't his phone time, is it?” She checked her own cellphone for the time as she sat up and put her feet on the ground but continued to sit on the bed.

“No, it's the guys.” Riane told her. “They send stupid pictures and comments to each other, but also help each other with homework. Julian seems to tutor everyone. Seth and Dalen told me that they get B's and A's because he is such a good teacher.”

“Huh, who would have thought?” Joe chuckled. “You have really taken a shine to them, haven't you? You usually aren't able to let people in unless you know them really well for a long time.”

Riane shrugged her shoulders as she kept her back to her friend and continued her homework. “They are relaxed and easy to get to know. Plus, everyone else has predefined expectations of me, because everyone knows about my... condition. It's fun.”

“They still think you are a boy though. Is that really ok? I mean look at what happened when Blake found out, it is like he tries to pretend he doesn't know the truth.” Joe sighed. “I do not know how anyone could think you are a boy, anyway. You look like a girl, you talk like a girl, you act like a girl, but throw on some boy clothes and it is like no one notices.”

“Maybe it is because you know I am a girl, and therefore that is all you see. They 'know' I am a boy and so that is all they see.” Riane closed her book and turned her chair around to face her friend.

“I suppose, but explain Blake then.” Joe laid back on the bed but let her feet dangle.

Walking over to the bed, Riane lay on her back beside her. “You said it yourself. Denial.”

There was a momentary silence, before Joe spoke again. “Do you still like him?”

Riane nodded her head, “I do.”

They both sighed in unison.

Joe turned her head to look at her friend, “What are we going to do about that, Riane? Eventually, you are going to have to tell him how you really feel, and he might not take too well to that.”

“I know.” She sighed loudly. “I don't know. I think him and Adonia have something going on. They flirt a lot with each other, and he spent a lot of time with her on at the ranch over the summer. Suddenly, we start school and she is eating lunches with us instead of with her friends more than half the time now.”

“Would he keep something like that from you?” Joe propped herself on one elbow so she could look at her friend. “That doesn't seem like Blake.”

“I thought not either, but... he...” She inhaled deeply, “Today, he told me that I am a burden to him sometimes, and he went to Adonia's party this weekend and didn't tell me because he wanted space away from me.”

“Ass, but also kind of true. People need breaks from one another.”

“I know, and I really wouldn't have minded if he said he wanted to go alone.” She reached over and grabbed a small violet heart shaped pillow to hug. “Before Adonia came into our lives, he always told me that he was happy to help me and when I called myself a burden he would get mad and tell me that this was his choice and I was his best friend. Now, suddenly, I am a burden that he lies to about stupid parties.”

“Now, I am pissed.” Joe sat up entirely and gripped the bed comforter on either side of her legs. “Should I call him and give him a piece of my mind?”

“Please, don't. He has enough pieces of your mind, at this point he might have more of it than you do.” Riane teased and they both laughed.

“Fine, fine.”

“Seth and Dalen wanted to meet you. They asked me to introduce you to them.” Riane sat up next to her friend and put the pillow back.

“I know, I heard. Why did you think I jumped in the car and drove off so fast?”

Riane giggled, “I thought so.”

---***---

In the entertainment room, Bryce and Zachary sat on the couch with controllers in their hands and a split screen racing game on the large flat screen television that was across the room and hung on the wall. Occasionally, one of them would try to play with the other one's controls.

Julian sat in the recliner but with his feet dangling over the armrest. He was staring at his phone and grinning from time to time. A couple times he had left the room for the evening presumably to help one of his friends with their homework.

“You've been at that a lot longer than usual.” Bryce finally commented on it. “What is up with Seth and Dalen?”

“They have a new friend that hasn't seen all their photos and internet memes, so they are blowing up my phone.” Julian informed him.

“I'm surprised you didn't go over to Dalen's house today.” Bryce said before pumping his arm at his victory. “Suck it!”

Zachary frowned, “Best four out of five.”

“I wanted to talk to mom about the arranged marriage, and afterward I didn't feel like going out.” Julian sighed.

“Are you really going to marry some girl you don't know?” Zachary asked as he picked what track he wanted to race on.

“We will know each other. I basically have to date her until she breaks up with me.” He typed something on his phone while he was talking to them.

“That should be easy enough.” Bryce teased. “You've been my brother for eighteen years and I have wanted to break up with you the entire time.”

Zachary chuckled and then added. “I can't imagine a girl wanting to spend more than a couple weeks with you.”

Julian looked up at his phone with a slight grin. “You think so? Like who would want to marry me, right? She'll break up with me and this hellish nightmare will end.”

“It's no fun if you take our insults as helpful advice.” Bryce growled before the race on the television began.

Julian turned his attention back to his phone and texted his friends. “It was my dad that set up the arranged marriage.”

“That sucks.” Was the reply he got from Seth and Dalen.

“Jinx!” They both replied again at nearly the same time.

“No, I jinxed first!” Seth quickly retorted, and Julian had no doubt that he would have shouted it if they were together in person.

“No, I did! You're jinxed!” Dalen replied.

“See, now we have both talked. You fucking ruin everything!” Seth texted. “You are buying me a soda tomorrow.”

“Fuck you, no.”

“Aren't you two in the same fucking house? Do you need to text this?” Julian asked, and no reply came so he figured they looked up from their phones to argue with each other.

After a couple seconds, Seth replied. “What not interested to see who wins?”

“Your lover's spat? No.” Julian snapped back.

It took several moments after that but Riane finally replied. “I am sure the girl will be just as bummed as you are. I know I am not looking forward to meeting whoever my dad picks for me.”

“So, she might just agree and then dump me if I asked?” Julian texted the question and no reply came for more than five minutes. “My dad says she has to end it or I lose my inheritance.” He added.

Riane replied quickly to that. “Maybe? Depends on her, I suppose.”

“Fuck, you two are dull. Seth and I are out. See you tomorrow at school.” Dalen texted.

“I have to go too. Dinner.” Riane added and then would not reply again for the rest of the evening.

Looking up from his phone, Julian sighed loudly before standing up and walking out of the entertainment room. He found his mother sitting at the dining room table and looking at something on her tablet.

“Deciding my future?” He asked as he sat down across from her at the long table that was completely empty.

Nanette looked up at her son. “You know this might not be the worst thing in the world to happen to you. I am not just trying to pick someone who is pretty or smart, I am trying to find someone that you will get along with and have fun.”

“I don't get along with my brothers, and you think you can find that in a stranger?” Julian snorted.

“You get along with them more than you realize.” She smirked.

“I don't really get along with girls. Maybe only to get them into bed, but after that I don't know what to do with them. They are stupid and annoying.” Julian gritted his teeth near the end.

Nanette frowned, “Maybe if you treated them as nicely as you did before you slept with them, there wouldn't be an issue.”

“You ever think of just asking me to stop bringing dates around, before allowing father more control over my life? Seriously, threatening me with the money you two purposely put aside for me is just a dick move.” Julian leaned forward and pressed his elbows against the table.

“Dick move?” Nanette sounded frustrated. “Your father has thrown out drugged up girls, who have either been completely nude or flashed your little brother. This has happened multiple times, and that is not a dick move?”

“You always said, you don't justify bad behavior with bad behavior.” He was being a smart ass and he knew it.

She slowly shook her head. “I have asked and pleaded with you when it comes to your dating choices, and these girls you bring home are beneath you. You refuse to listen and you refuse any girls that I ask you to date and get to know. No, instead you want to make our family into a laughing stock and claim all the attention for yourself; negative attention is your drug, son. I am done with it.”

Julian chuckled bitterly, “Do you think some good girl is going to suddenly make me into a better person? Have you been reading too many romance novels?”

She sighed, “I do not know what I hope, Jules. It was either this or tossing you out with nothing, and I decided to try this first. Please, don't screw this up.”

Julian stared at his mother for several moments, “Seth is in an arranged marriage. He says she is nice but he has only met her twice. Sounds real happy, right? A true love story in the making.” He watched his mother give him an exhausted look. “Ryan says his dad will put him in one as well. He says that that's how his father plans on controlling him. Maybe he is right about that. Maybe this whole thing is just about you wanting to control my life, and make big decisions for me for your vanity.”

“I suppose you are right, but that isn't going to change my mind.” Nanette crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back in her chair. They sat quietly for a moment, “Who is Ryan? A new friend?”

Julian decided to change the subject as this seemed like it was going no where. “Yeah. Well, we didn't get along much until today. He's cool. His dad is that asshole, Simon Nairne. Always, trying to control him.” He stood up from the table and walked out of the room.

Nanette rose an eyebrow, she knew Simon's wife and she was well aware that her son was only ten and was Simon's only son. He had an older daughter that went to the university. She had heard she dressed like a boy a great deal. Either his new friend, Ryan, was a liar or her son was mistaken about his new friend's gender.

She thought to tell him as he walked out of the room, but instead she chuckled and decided to let him find out for himself. It would be a life lesson.

---***---

Climbing into the black car, Riane inhaled as she tossed her backpack into the backseat and put her seat belt on. She leaned back in her chair and looked at her friend who had begun to drive her away from her house.

“Worried about Blake?” Joe asked as they pulled out passed the gate and onto the street.

Riane slowly shook her head, “No, I am going to accept his apology and forget about it. I suppose he was right to not want me there, I just wish he had said so instead of lying to me.”

Joe nodded her head, then decided to give Riane her quiet time before classes so she could meditate and calm herself. She listened to her inhaled deeply through her mouth and then exhaled slowly through her nose.

At least this morning, Riane did not have to deal with her father and was able to eat. She could never relax around her father, and always had to seem like she was doing something productive. If she seemed to be having fun then he would assign her extra work.

Riane loved to play her piano, and she could play several other instruments. When her father learned that she wanted to attend school for the liberal arts, he removed all the instruments from the house and told her to study something that would be useful in the real world.

Joe remembered that crushing day when Riane couldn't even cry as her beloved instruments were yanked away from her. She never talked about them to anyone after that either. It was almost like a death had occurred in her life, and she was too traumatized to mention it.

Pulling up to the university, Riane noticed Blake waiting for her at the gate. She smiled to Joe and said her goodbyes, as she got out of the car and pulled her backpack out of the backseat.

As she walked over to him, Adonia was revealed to be standing beside him. Her heart dropped, as she thought she couldn't have one moment alone with him anymore.

“Hey.” Riane said as she came to stand in front of the two of them.

“Hey.” Blake responded.

“Hello, are you alright today?” Adonia asked with concern in her voice. “I could barely sleep all night, because I was worried but I realized that I don't have your phone number. How bizarre is that? How long have we been hanging out at school, and I can't call you?” She giggled nervously. “I texted Blake, but you know how he is with his phone. Didn't respond to me until right before bed, and told me it wasn't his number to give out.”

Riane slowly nodded her head, “Yeah, that sounds like Blake.” She said with no enthusiasm.

“I wanted you to have your space, so you could think everything over.” Blake told her. “So, are we friends still?”

Her heart ached as she thought about her next words. “Yes, we are.”

Blake grinned, “Great, I'll walk you to class.”

“Why don't you walk Adonia to class? I'll go on my own.” These words were the most frightening words she had ever spoken. Not only was she asking to walk in the crowds alone, but she was sending him away with another girl. However, she knew she had to change the way that Blake saw her.

Both Adonia and Blake stared at her like she had just spoken both something horrifying and complete nonsense at the same time.

He chuckled as the waves of students passed by them. “Don't be ridiculous. I've always walked you to class from the first day of middle school. Why would we stop now?”

“I won't need you to walk me around anymore.” Her heart pounded and she could already feel the panic welling up in her chest.

Adonia remained silent beside Blake.

“If this is about yesterday, I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't mean you bother me all the time, just that sometimes I want to go out by myself. I don't mind walking you around campus. In fact, I enjoy the company. So, let's go.” His voice sounded genuine even if he was not.

“I'm not a little kid, Blake. I'm not even a boy. Stop treating me like either, and don't meet me at my classes. I'm an adult. I'll handle myself.” Riane looked at their expressions of shock, though Blake's seemed to be the most horrified. It was the first time that she ever told him that she was not a boy.

With those words spoken, she hurried to follow the passing students and leave the two of them behind. Her courage in front of Blake quickly dissipated as she moved towards the court. The panic in her chest grew tighter, and she started having trouble breathing. Her mind went blank but at the same time was filled with every scenario that could possibly go wrong. Slowly, her legs lost their strength and she could barely move forward anymore.

Only Joe and Blake had the ability to keep her from falling apart in a crowd like this one, and she now regretted her decision. She hoped that Blake wouldn't listen to her and come find her, as she could no longer chant in her own mind that all she needed to do was get to her class. Once in the classroom, she would be fine, but that focus was now gone.

“You alright, Little Man?” Julian asked as he walked up behind her.

Riane shook her head as she clawed at her shirt and turned red.

“Are you choking on something?” Julian bent over and looked at her face, but she shook her head to his question. “Do you need the nurse or for me to call an ambulance?”

She once more shook her head to his question.

Placing his hand on her shoulder, he stood there with her for several moments. He didn't know that Blake or Joe would hug her tightly and rush her away from the crowd. Instead, he sat with her in that fear for several moments until she began to calm down.

“What's wrong with him?” Seth asked as he approached the two in the busy courtyard with Dalen close on his heels.

“I don't know.” Julian responded. “He doesn't want an ambulance or anything though.”

Dalen came to stand in front of her, and placed his hand on her other shoulder. “Can you not breath? Do you have asthma?”

Riane shook her head as she started to take small breaths.

“He's not as red as he was before.” Julian informed them as the other two men looked worried. “Are you starting to feel better?”

She nodded her head. “Yes.” She was barely able to say.

“Oh, is this a panic attack?” Dalen asked and watched her nod once more. “Little Man, you got a test today or something?”

Julian looked around for a moment after she shook her head, “Where is Blake? Doesn't he walk you around?”

She was slowly gaining her color back and taking breaths more often.

“You're alright.” Dalen told her flatly.

“Yeah, calm down. Try to take deep breaths.” Julian patted his back. “No need to pass out in the middle of the courtyard.”

After a couple more moments, Riane got a better hold of herself though her heart still raced without Blake or Joe beside her. “I'm alright.”

It had only been less than a few minutes since it started; to her it had been an eternity. Every second seemed like an inch away from death.

“Can you stand up?” Seth asked.

“Yeah.” She proved it by doing so. “Sorry. I don't like crowds.”

Julian chuckled, “That's the understatement of the year.”

---***---

Two weeks had come and gone, Riane would greet Blake and Adonia at the gate to be pleasant with them and then would head over to the courtyard where her three new friends would eventually find her. They never tried to rescue her, no matter which one found her. Instead, they just sat besides her and talked to her about anything other than the panic attack she was having. At times, it felt like they were getting better, but other times they were much worse than before.

Riane had stopped eating lunch with Blake and Adonia, and started to eat with Julian and his group. It was refreshing to be around people that weren't always trying to be incredibly polite to one another. While Blake and Adonia had their merits when it came to conversation, there was barely any laughter and they were always walking on egg shells for fear of hurting her feelings.

Of course, she felt like she was abandoning her old friends for her new friends, but it wasn't as if Blake or Adonia were searching her out. She hadn't received a phone call or text from Blake since that day, and he seemed more than happy to walk Adonia to class rather than her.

It was a heartbreaking truth that she did not want to admit to, but in her attempt to be female in Blake's eyes, she might have given him to another girl. She did not know what else to do, as she couldn't be a burden in his eyes any longer, but being the burden is what kept him as her own.

Sitting behind the gym while they ate their lunches, the guys talked about video games or television shows. None of which she had played or seen.

“What do you do all day when you get home?” Seth asked.

She shrugged as she swallowed down her fettuccine. “Homework, mostly. My father doesn't believe that time should be wasted on anything other than work or study. We have a television in our house, but it is only for my dad to use to watch the news. If we are caught using our laptops or cellphones for games they will be confiscated.”

“I thought my dad was an ass.” Julian shook his head slowly. “So, hey, I've been meaning to bring this up, but I never knew you were friends with Adonia Fulke.”

“I guess we are friends because we are both friends with Blake, but I wouldn't call her close to me.” She took a drink of her soda from the can. “Why?”

“He has been... oh what is the proper term... pining! Pining for this young lady for months now.” Dalen teased.

After giving his friend a glare, he turned back to Riane. “She seeing anyone?”

“Other than your brother?” Seth added and laughed when Julian punched him in the arm.

Riane slowly shook her head, “I don't know. She and Blake might be seeing each other, but if they are they aren't telling me.”

“Why not?” Julian seemed disgusted to hear such a thing.

“I don't know, maybe he blames me for the girlfriends he had in high school. All of them thought we were too close and would get insanely jealous.” She put a forkful of her noodles in her mouth.

“Why? He is straight, right? So, they didn't want their boyfriend hanging out with his friend?” Julian rolled his eyes. “This is why girls are so fucking stupid. Jealous over two friends.”

“Adonia is a girl.” Dalen reminded him, “Is she fucking stupid?”

He didn't seem to like being reminded of that, and flipped his friend off.

“Speaking of the devil.” Seth pointed in the direction behind Riane and Julian who were sitting next to each other.

“There you are.” Adonia said loudly as she approached. “I have been looking all over for you. Let's talk.”

Riane realized that something very bad could happen in this moment. Adonia referred to her in feminine form, and if she said anything to these guys about her everything would end.

Jumping up, Riane hurried over to her friend. “We'll be right back!” She shouted to them before rushing her friend across the grass to another building of the school.

“What? What was that about?” Adonia questioned with shock in her eyes.

“They think I am male. Don't call me 'she' or 'her' in front of them. What do you want?” Riane asked before realizing that she wasn't talking in the way she should to Adonia. She cleared her throat, “Oh, sorry. That... that was a rude way to phrase myself.”

“I'll say.” Adonia seemed to calm herself. “Riane, what is going on here? Why would you toss us aside for those punks? Do you realize how hurt Blake is?”

Riane looked at her friend for a moment. “Why is Blake hurt? I'm not bothering him or causing him any trouble. He doesn't have to worry about me anymore.”

She seemed angry that Riane would even ask such a question. “You are his best friend, and suddenly, without any warning, you aren't. He never gets an explanation but instead just sees you running around with those morons. Morons that pick on you constantly.”

“Aren't you dating Julian's older brother?” Riane knew this was a cheap trick to find out if something was going on between her and Blake, but it seemed like it could be a valid question as well.

“Bryce? No, we are just friends during basketball season.” She sighed, “Are those idiots saying I am dating his brother? That's how rumors start, you know?”

“Well, what is it that you want from me?” Riane asked after a brief pause in the conversation. She wanted to get back to her friends, and didn't realize that she was once again speaking in a more blunt fashion.

Adonia seemed to ignore the way she asked, and moved right to the heart of the matter. “Would it be so awful to have lunch with us? It doesn't even have to be every day just like two or three times a week?”

Riane shrugged her shoulders, and looked over at her friends when she noticed movement. Julian was making his way over as if he was somehow invited into the conversation. Though from Julian's point of view, it looked like Adonia was scolding her child.

“Hey, Adonia.” Julian nodded his head once as he approached her.

“This conversation isn't for you, pothead.” She snapped at him. “If you try to hit on me, I swear I won't hold back.”

“Someone has a high opinion of herself.” Julian snorted as he came to stand next to Riane. “You don't look so relaxed. Your shoulders are about to touch your ears.” He told her, then looked at Adonia. “Do you see how tense you make him?”

She decided to ignore him and continue her conversation. “Ryan, please. Come eat lunch with us. We miss having you around. Blake really wants to talk to you more than a brief conversation at the gate.”

“He has a phone. He can call him or text him, can't he? Or does he only have one of those special phones that only can get calls and text but not send them?” Julian chuckled and looked at Riane who smirked slightly. “Or perhaps you are his only form of communication at a distance? Send the Adonia to bring back his little friend?”

Adonia sighed, “Here.” She held out a piece of paper. “It is my number. If you want to eat lunch, or talk then please text me.”

Julian and Riane watched as she walked away, before Riane looked up at him. “That is how you treat the girl you like? It was as if she was enemy number one.”

He shrugged, “I figure since she didn't like me when I was sucking up to her, I'll just act like myself.”

“That's a horrible idea, really.” Riane teased as they both began to walk back to the other two.

“Ah, girls suck anyway.”

---***---

Blake sat by himself on the steps that he and Riane had been using all school year. Adonia had left her tray with him while she went to the bathroom.

He wondered if having Adonia join them for lunches could have hurt his friend's feelings. Riane didn't care for new people, and he had to admit Adonia was rather pushy. He liked her a great deal, after all she was kind, smart, beautiful, and most of all she didn't mind his friendship with Riane.

Of course, when Riane said she didn't need his help anymore, she never mentioned Adonia. Instead, she pointed to him. He thought about the moment she said she wasn't a boy over and over again, before asking himself why she never told him that when they were younger. Why was she perfectly content to be called 'he' until this very year.

If felt weird to think of his friend as anything but a guy. Perhaps it was because he had known Riane for three years as a male before realizing that she was female. He could never understand why he didn't talk to her about what was going on, and by the time he realized he should have it felt too late. It felt comfortable and he thought he was doing everything right.

Everything would have been as it was if he hadn't lied to his friend in the first place. Worst yet, he was still lying by not telling him that he was in a relationship with Adonia. Instead, he passed her off as his flirty friend. That was not fair to either of the girls.

In truth, Riane was the one that saved him from loneliness and despair. His family lived on the other side of the country. His father was a self-made man who became a shipping magnate after buying eight wheelers and other supply transportation trucks in his youth.

When he started middle school in the sixth grade, he was sent to Cerulean Harbor to live with a woman who was paid to watch him. His father, mother, and two sisters would visit him from time to time, but his father wanted him to make business contacts in a place where all the powerful sent their children.

On his first day of school, he was so afraid and lonely and when he saw a little boy afraid to go inside the school he immediately pinpointed a common ally. He was able to help the boy with his fears people and crowds while his fear of abandonment was alleviated. He had someone at his side at all times, and perhaps he was too harsh when he said he wanted time to not think about his friend. It made it seem like he received nothing from their friendship.

Going home to an empty apartment was difficult now that his babysitter was no longer necessary. Putting his phone and keys on the table next to the front door in order to do his homework, cook his meal, and clean up after himself. It was an old habit he learned growing up to not use his cellphone while at home unless someone called him.

His home was the loneliest place in the world, and he hated the quiet of that apartment. Though, he never invited people to his home. Not even Riane had been to his home. He always made excuses to keep people from seeing that his parents weren't with him, even if he told them they weren't. Something about showing his friends such things made them more real.

“So, I lied.” Adonia's voice broke through his thoughts and he looked up at her as she walked over to pick up her tray.

“Huh?”

“I went to find Ryan.” She admitted, “She is pretending to be male with those guys, and basically told me not to correct them.”

“Oh.” He didn't understand. Why would she tell him that she isn't a boy, then pretend to be one with a new set of friends? She was also not much of a liar, she just didn't like to correct people because she was afraid they would dislike her. If what Adonia said was true then Riane was actively lying to these new friends of hers.

“Julian came to her rescue when I tried to convince her to eat with us. He did have a good point though about you calling her if you wanted to talk to her.” Adonia sat down on the step next to Blake who had yet to touch his meal. “Did you wait for me before you ate? That is so kind, but you shouldn't have.”

“Oh, it is alright.” He started to eat his fettuccine.

“Did you hear me?” She watched his turn his head toward her. “Why don't you call Ryan and ask her to eat with us? Maybe if you reached out all this nonsense would end, and we could go back to being friends again.”

“I think he... she needs space.” Blake sighed as he stared down at his meal. He wasn't really hungry and hadn't been for a couple weeks now.

“Starving yourself to death won't make her talk to you.” Adonia warned. “Someone needs to break the silence, and I don't think it will be her. She's far too afraid of hurting someone's feelings or doing something that will upset someone. She might think calling you would bother you, and she doesn't want to do that. After all, you and your weird rules about your phone make it hard to know when it's appropriate to call you.”

Blake nodded his head, “Yes, I suppose you are right.”

“Of course, I am.” She giggled and he chuckled along with her.

The bell rang to give them a five minute warning before classes would begin again.

“Shit.” Blake mumbled under his breath as he realized that neither of them had eaten.

Adonia laughed, “Let's take the tray back.” She put her tray on top of his own and they walked together towards the cafeteria.

Blake chuckled about the meal as well, and wrapped his arm around her shoulder as they walked together.

“Be careful, people might think we are a couple.” Adonia joked.

“Good.” He kissed her forehead as they approached the cafeteria, but as he did so Adonia came to a grinding halt.

Looking up from her, he saw Riane standing with Julian and the other two. They were staring at the two who were obviously being more than just friends. Not saying a word, Riane turned to walk to her class.

“Wait up!” Seth yelled as he tossed his tray onto the pile. “I'm going your way!”

Julian and Dalen were left behind as the latter's classes were in the opposite direction, and Julian had no plans of going to class. They both began to walk in different directions, and Julian walked passed the couple.

He chuckled as he walked passed Blake. “Just love your secrets, eh?”

Blake handed the tray to Adonia, and turned toward the man that was walking away from him. “What could you possibly know about me?”

“Blake, don't engage him. That's what he wants.” Adonia begged.

Julian stopped and turned to him. “I know you're an ass. Lying to your friend, and sending your girlfriend to do your dirty work.”

“I went on my own. Blake thought I was going to the bathroom.” She snapped at him. “Stay out of our business, Julian.”

Blake chuckled, “Look at you. Ponytail, printed t-shirt, blue jeans, and a leather jacket could you be anymore of a cliché bad boy. Watch a lot of eighties movies growing up?”

Julian smirked back, “Says the preppy kid. You are only missing a sweater tied around your neck.”

“Blake, we will be late for class.” Adonia warned.

“No, I want to know what his problem is with me.” Blake snapped.

“He has a crush on me, and now he knows we are together. That's his problem.” She touched his upper arm. “Blake, come on. He's just jealous, that's all.”

Julian snorted, “So full of herself... or are you filled up with him.” He watched Blake lurch forward but knew he would do nothing. “Yeah, I thought you were all bark.” With that said, he turned his back on them and walked away.

---***---

Riane was exhausted as she entered her house. She had barely spoke two words to Joe as she was being driven home.

Upon entering the house, she found herself in the grand foyer with two marble stairways on each side that led upstairs. To her left would be the large dining room, butler's pantry, and the kitchen and to her right would be the sitting room and what used to be the music room. Her father was planning on converting it to something that Rusty would enjoy using.

Walking up the stairs, she was stopped at the top by her redheaded little brother who hugged her briefly. Deidra was walking behind him with his coat in her hand as several maids raced around trying to finish up their work for the day.

"We are going out to eat. Do you want to join us?" Her step-mother asked with a smile on her lips. "Rusty wants pizza, and I figured since your father is not here we could actually eat something that doesn't add up to the daily allowed calories."

Riane smiled, "I am pretty tired. I had a long day."

"I'll bring you back a whole pizza for yourself. Just make sure you get rid of the evidence." Deidra giggled, but she was being very serious. "What do you want?"

"Um, garlic sauce instead of red... just whatever garlic pizza they have, but with pepperoni because it is usually chicken."

"I'm getting cheese." Rusty informed her and threw his hands in the air as if he had just won a marathon.

"Of course, because you are boring." Riane teased and rubbed the top of his head.

"Size?" Deidra asked after she laughed at the interaction between the two that would have made Simon anger with her.

"Small is fine."

"Ok, sweetie." Deidra patted her shoulder. "We'll be back in an hour or two." She handed Rusty his coat, and the boy hurried down the stairs with it. "Are you alright? You look a little down."

Riane sighed, "I had a bad day is all."

"You know you can always talk to me about anything. I won't tell your dad." Deidra watched her nod, but knew in her heart Riane would never truly trust her. She had a good reason not to do so.

"Mom! Come on!" Rusty called from the front door as he hung from the doorknob with the door already open.

"Be back soon." Deidra patted Riane's shoulder as she passed her.

Riane watched them leave before heading down the long hallway passed multiple bedrooms that were never used and into her own. Once inside she tossed her backpack onto her bed and walked over to her closest. Walking inside the closest which was as big as some people's bedrooms, she was surrounded by clothing that she never wore. Dresses, shoes, blouses, and skirts filled it and only a small corner had the clothes she actually wore.

Deidra had bought all these for her at her father's request. At one point, her father had ordered the maids to remove all her 'male clothing' and throw it away. Joe and her had to sneak away when her father was out of town to buy more. In truth, she just wanted to wear the clothes because it angered him, but it was getting tiresome to use up her life trying to piss her father off.

"Hey." Joe said as she entered into the closest. She followed her friend's eye line and knew she was thinking about her great dilemma. Wear 'girl clothing' which would make her father happy and her happy, or wear her other clothing and continue to make him grit his teeth and bare it.

"Hey." Riane touched a dress.

"You know, you could always put the dress or jeans in your backpack and change at school. We could leave earlier in the morning so you have time." Joe watched her friend shake her head. "Don't you want your new friends to know the truth?"

"Yeah." She sighed and looked to Joe. "Blake and Adonia are dating."

"You suspected that, didn't you?" Joe walked over to her friend and picked up a dark blue high heel, before pulling off her tennis shoes and trying them on.

"I did, but he didn't have to lie about it. Though, they could have gotten together in the last two weeks, so maybe he didn't lie. I don't know." Riane pulled out a matching dress to the shoe that Joe had picked and handed it to her.

Joe chuckled as she took off the two mismatched shoes she had on and began to strip down to put on the dress. The two were similar in size, and though Joe couldn't go an entire day wearing her friend's clothes and shoes, she could wear them for dress up time.

Riane pulled out a dress for herself that they both knew she wouldn't put on. She would hold and stare at it, while they did Joe's hair and make-up then when it was over they would put everything away. Riane would never dress herself up at all.

"So, that Dalen guy, is he nice?" Joe asked as Riane zipped up the back of the long cocktail dress.

"Dalen? He is probably the nicest out of the three, but I wouldn't call him nice. Why?" Riane asked as they walked out of the closest and Joe sat in front of the vanity, where Riane would do a horrible job of applying make-up and giving her a hairstyle.

"I don't know. They both wave at me and smile whenever I pick you up, and I think he is rather cute." Joe told her as Riane pulled her computer chair across the floor to sit in front of her.

"Should I pass on the message? I am certain he would be thrilled to hear it." Riane began to pick out the make-up she wanted to use from the vanity.

She shrugged, "I am not certain I want to pull the trigger yet."

"He's kind of thin, isn't he? I think I could bench press him." Riane teased as she began to apply blue eye shadow to her friend's eyes. "I don't think he washes his hair more than once a month. It always looks so greasy."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Blake the muscles is so much better. You're right." Joe playfully snapped back.

"At least, he has some meat on his bones." Riane stopped doing the make-up and sat back to look at her work. "I have given you black and blue eyes."

Joe looked in the mirror and laughed out loud at the horrible and dark job her friend had done. "I look like some sort of corpse or crazy lady! Keep going."

Riane grabbed the blush and began to apply it.

"Do you think Seth is better looking than Dalen?" Joe asked.

"I'm wondering why with all the male attention you get that you think you have to pick between those two. Is it because they come from wealthy families?" Riane asked her friend honestly.

"It doesn't hurt, but no it is because all the guys that hit on me at school are douches. As confident as they are dumb. Dalen and Seth are obvious in their interest in me, but too shy too really approach me even if they have tried to talk to me a couple of times. Would it bother you if something happened between me and one of them?"

Riane shook her head as she picked out a lipstick. "Nope. Feel free. Why not Julian though? He is completely out of the picture?"

Joe chuckled, "Pass. He is the overly confident douche I was talking about, and besides he has eyes for Adonia as you said."

"Yeah, for a guy that brags about all the girls and dates he goes on during the weekend, he sure takes his crushes seriously." Riane chuckled. "Done."

Joe looked into the mirror at her overly shadowed blue eyes, bright pink cheeks, and deep red lips. "This is great. I need to take a picture." She laughed.

---***---

Dalen and Seth entered into the former's mansion where he lived alone except for those that were hired to take care of the property. The foyer had a winding stair case that lead upstairs and an open floor plan where they could see into the living room which is where they headed to immediately. Tossing their backpacks on the ground, they flung themselves onto one of the pink couches.

His mother had made the decoration decisions for the house, and the living room had two large circular couches and a large television hanging on the wall, while white and pink striped drapes and a white carpet.

Neither bothered to take their shoes off and rested them on the couch cushions, as they sat for a moment in silence.

"What do you want to do tonight?" Seth asked as it was Friday and normally Julian would tell them where to meet after classes, but he said he didn't want to go out that evening.

"I don't know. Julian's the guy that pulls in all the tail without him we'll just be standing around with no one but each other to talk with." Dalen put his hands behind his head. "Besides, it'll be nice to not have to worry about being caught with fake ids and being on for the girls all night."

Seth didn't know how to respond so he ignored his friend entirely. "What is up with Julian? He always wants to party all weekend. Think Ryan is rubbing off on him?"

Dalen snorted, "Highly doubtful. Ryan doesn't go out with us because he is controlled by his father. Julian goes out to ensure his father has no control. I think he is bummed about Adonia, but doesn't want to show it."

"Yeah, I guess." Seth inhaled for a moment. "It's just weird. Why is he acting like an ass to her, but then he gets all butt hurt when she doesn't like him. Are we in kindergarten?"

"Fuck if I know. He never could talk properly to the girls he actually gives a shit about. Smooth talker and charmer for the ones he just wants to sleep with, but either goes for the creepy stuttering and staring, or the absolute asshole when it counts." Dalen chucked.

"Want to invite Ryan over? He said his dad was out of town. Might be fun to see him outside of school, and he might bring his driver with him." Seth sat up in the couch. "I'm not spending Friday night sitting around doing nothing. If Ryan can't go to the clubs, we can at least hang out here. No girls, alcohol, or drugs here."

"I'll text him." Dalen pulled his phone out of his back pocket and sent the text. "Come to my house, we are bored. Bring your driver, maybe?"

"He never answers his texts quickly. Annoying as hell." Seth stood up from the couch. "I'm hungry."

"There is salami and pepperoni in the fridge for you, but they insisted on the low fat mayonnaise, sorry." Dalen dropped his phone to his chest.

"It's fine. I'll just make a sandwich with mustard then." Seth walked to a door in the room and disappeared into the kitchen.

The front door opened and Dalen sat up to watch Julian walk through the door and sit down in Seth's spot. "Hey. Thought I'd come hang."

"Cool. We just asked Ryan to come over. No response yet." Dalen informed him as he sat up in the couch.

"That guy never answers his texts in a timely manner." Julian snapped. "What the hell is he doing over there that takes so fucking long?"

Dalen chuckled, "I have no idea. Maybe he doesn't keep his phone with him all the time like we do."

"Where is Seth?"

"Sandwich." That was all he needed to say before Julian got up and opened the swinging door to the kitchen. "Make me one too."

"Low fat mayo?" Seth asked.

"Yeah, whatever." Julian told him as he walked back over to the couch and sat down. "Anything from Ryan, yet?"

Dalen shook his head. "Winter break is just around the corner. Do you want to go somewhere?"

"Snow hasn't even fallen yet, and you are planning winter break?" Julian scoffed before thinking about where he would want to go. "Some place warm."

Dalen's phone vibrated and he looked down at it. "Oh, he asked for the address. Awesome." He began to text his address as he yelled into the kitchen. "Ryan is coming over!"

"Cool!" Seth yelled back. "Is he bringing the hottie?"

"I don't know!" Dalen replied and then looked at Julian. "Have you seen his driver?"

"Yeah, she's alright." Julian brushed over the topic, "We could get a beach house somewhere. Go swimming."

"Maybe we can convince Ryan's dad to let him come with us."

"What is with you and Ryan? God damn, I like him and all, but you are obsessed." Julian barked as Seth appeared with two plates. He handed one to Julian and sat down beside him. "No chips?"

Seth glared at him, "Do I look like your servant? I made the fucking sandwich, you want chips get them yourself."

Standing up with his plate, Julian left the room for the kitchen in order to hunt out potato chips in the pantry.

"Ask him if he is bringing his driver." Seth order before he took a bite of his sandwich and realized he didn't bring anything to drink, so he followed Julian into the kitchen.

Dalen texted the question and waited for several moments, when the two returned each with potato chips on their plates and a can of soda in their hands.

His phone vibrated when they both sat down, and Dalen read the message. "He says she is driving him, but it is up to her if she wants to come in."

"Who?" Julian asked as if he did not remember their earlier conversation about her, and since he didn't care it was almost entirely true.

"Jolene, Ryan's driver. We invited her over as well." Seth explained as he licked mustard off his thumb.

"No, no fucking girls hanging out here. This is a dude only zone." Julian snapped.

"My house. So, fuck you." Dalen told him rather calmly.

"I don't care whose house it is. Girls suck all the fun out of everything." Julian leaned back in the couch and looked at his sandwich. "Dude, where is the fucking meat? This is like a bread and mayo sandwich."

"Make your own damn sandwich then." Seth growled back. "Do you a fucking favor and you bitch about the way I make it and the lack of chips. Fucking ingrate!"

"Anyway!" Dalen interrupted. "If you don't like it, you can leave. I've been trying to find my in with her for weeks, and this might be it. So, you can sausage fest elsewhere."

Julian rolled his eyes, "Whatever. I'm going to fix this travesty of a sandwich."

Seth began to speak as Julian walked in front of him to head for the kitchen. "And hey, I have been trying to get in good with her too. So, don't fuck things up for me if she wants a little Seth."

"Is that what you call it? Sad."

"Shut the fuck up!" Seth yelled with a mouthful of sandwich.

---***---

Joe had washed off all the make-up and got back into her jeans and t-shirt to drive Riane over to Dalen's home. From what Riane had been told, he had a mansion similar in size to her own while Seth and Julian's homes were more like large houses. Both of their parents believed it was a waste to have that much house with so little family members to use it.

"Are you sure you want me to go in?" Joe asked as they pulled into the driveway. "If I mess up and call you a 'she' it could be all over for you."

"I know, but I've never been over to a friend's house before and I need someone I know really well with me." Riane placed her hand over her chest. "I'm getting a little panicked."

"Should we leave?" Joe asked as she stopped the car in front of the mansion. "We can say your dad called and wanted proof you were at home or something."

Riane looked out the darkened window at the mansion and inhaled deeply. "No, I want to... know. Like, know what it means to visit a friend's house."

Joe nodded her head, "If you want to leave just let me know. I'll make the excuse."

Getting out of the car, the front door opened and Dalen stepped out. He smiled at Joe and gave a small wave to her, before looking at Riane.

"I'm surprised that you said, yes." He told her as he stepped aside for them to enter, and when they were all inside the foyer, he closed the door behind them. "I sent everyone home for the day. They can be slightly annoying when I have guests over, and tell on me if one is... uh... female."

Joe chuckled at his uncertainty of what to call her.

They made their way to the living room which was easy enough to find from the front door. Julian and Seth were sitting on a couch together as they watched television. It was some comedy show that Riane couldn't identify as she never watched television.

"Hey!" Seth said to Joe and then gave a nod towards Riane. "Have a seat." He patted the spot beside himself, as Dalen walked into the room.

"That sofa is crowded, sit over here." Dalen motioned toward his empty couch and the two new guests moved to sit in it with Dalen quickly sitting next to Joe so she was now in the middle.

Seth growled under his breath at his friend. "So, Joe, is it?" He watched her nod. "Ryan tells me that you go to community college."

"I do. I am working on getting into the nursing program." Joe told him with a slight smile, and Riane could tell that her friend was very much enjoying this attention.

Julian did not seem interested in her at all. He continued to watch the television and acted almost like the two of them hadn't arrived. Of course, Riane thought about how much he said he disliked girls, so she assumed he might have trouble with Joe in the room.

She wondered where this deep hatred came from, especially from a man who bragged about his weekend rendezvous. The only thing she could conclude was that girls he actually liked never returned his feelings, and only girls who have less than pure intentions would spend time with him. Most of his stories included him buying a girl something in order to get her into bed.

"Health field is in need of a good number of nurses. Good choice." Dalen complimented her with a friendly pat on the back.

"So, how long have you known Ryan?" Seth asked. "He tells us some things about you, but never lets us get too close."

"Why would you want to get close?" Joe obviously flirted with him to watch him stutter for a moment and turn red, before she answered his question. "All our lives. My mother is the Nairne house cook, and our mothers were pregnant around the same time. I am only a couple months younger than... Ryan."

"No kidding." Dalen sounded interested.

"Yes, we played together as children, my mother loved it because she didn't have to leave me with a sitter and instead a nanny helped raise me along side... him." She was having difficulty remembered to call her friend by male pronouns and her male name, and she feared they might noticed her hesitation at times.

"No wonder he is so protective of you. I am of my sister too." Dalen chuckled and looked over at Seth who was pressing his lips together in annoyance, since Dalen had now talked over him twice in a row.

"Oh, you have a sister? How old?" Joe turned on the couch so she was more fully facing Dalen.

"She'll be eighteen soon. Her last year of high school. I am pretty excited, because that means she'll move out here with me to go to school." Dalen knew it was now time for his story that made every girl feel slightly sorry for him. "I've lived out here since elementary school raised by nannies, but my sister got to stay with my parents. I only see her four or five times a year, so it will be nice to actually live with her."

"That's awful. Why did you parents do that to you and not her?" Joe touched his hand in an attempt to make a flirty connection since she saw her opening.

Riane's eyes locked on the television, even though she didn't really understand what was going on. Seth was watching the two talk and leaned back on the couch with his arms folded. When Riane saw the look on his face, she pulled out her phone and texted him.

"Sorry, dude, she told me she liked him today. That's why we came over." Riane sent the message and returned to the show.

Seth quickly looked at his phone and sighed, but the look of anger slowly diminished.

"My mother refused to have both of her children sent away, and since I was the heir and my father wanted to ensure a good education for me away from the big city and what that can bring." Dalen exhaled and smacked his hands to his knees. "Oh, well. At least, my sister will be here next year and that will bring us closer."

"So, you grew up here all by yourself?" Joe asked with concern in her voice.

"Nah, Seth and I have known each other a long time." He motioned to his friend who seemed to perk up when his name was mentioned and Joe looked towards him. "Not as long as you and Ryan, but long enough. He practically lives here and his parents don't seem to mind. He has his own room and everything. I went over to his house when we were kids and they treated me like family. Then Seth's dad met Julian's dad when we were in middle school and Julian in high school, but we didn't become friends until the beginning of last year."

What he didn't tell them was that while Julian and they knew of each other, he had been a stranger that walked up to them on the first day and acted like he belonged there all along. As much as Julian's father tried to introduce them he had flat out refused; citing that he didn't need friends beneath him intelligently.

"That was so nice of you, Seth." Joe smiled at him.

Hearing his name made him smile. "I wasn't trying to be nice. He was my friend, and my family was more than happy to have a second boy around. I have two younger sisters."

She nodded her head, "I have no siblings. My mother thought that one was enough since..." She almost said that since Riane's mother couldn't have any more children, and she didn't want to leave them with a sitter. However, that would tell them that Riane was the oldest and not the youngest in the family. "Well, she had her reasons." She said as she decided not to lie further.

"Oh, I see." Both Seth and Dalen said.

"How cute. You two saying the same thing like that." Joe smiled and looked over at Riane who was watching television. "You're dad will call to check up on you in a couple hours. How long do you want to stay?"

"An hour or two, if that is alright?" Riane looked at Dalen who nodded.

"Stay the night for all I care." Dalen joked though there was much truth behind it.

---***---

Joe entered the mansion behind Riane after they had spent time with Dalen. He had invited them to come over the next day when she wasn't fearful of her father calling her. They had both told him they would think about it, as they walked out the door.

"All I am saying is that you are an adult now. You should be able to hang out with your friends on the weekends from time to time without an excuse that I am taking you shopping." Joe had been arguing that they go back tomorrow.

"You just want Seth and Dalen to spar over you some more." Riane took off her coat. "Besides, it is suppose to snow this weekend. We shouldn't be driving around when we don't have to be."

"Coward." Joe mumbled under her breath as she took Riane's jacket and hung it in the closest.

"Where did you run off to?" Deidra came from the kitchen. "I was terrified that you wouldn't return in time for your father's call. I had a whole bunch of excuses lined up, and you know I hate lying to him... directly anyway."

"Sorry, Deidra. I made friends at school and they invited me over to hang out for a couple hours." Riane apologized.

She nodded her head. "You know it is fine by me when your father is gone we loosen his grasp, but please let me know next time. Did you not get my texts?"

She shook her head and felt a small blush come to her face that she couldn't explain. "I..." She chuckled. "I watched a TV show."

Her step-mother laughed, before covering up her mouth with her hand and acting shocked. "Oh my, the ultimate sin. Pop culture."

Joe and Riane both giggled together for a moment, and Joe playfully shoved her friend with her shoulder.

"Anyway, your pizza is in the fridge, but what's this about you being a coward?" Deidra asked before they could go into the kitchen.

Joe started talking immediately before Riane could explain it away. "They want us to come over tomorrow, but Riane is too afraid her father will find out that she has male friends that are not being supervised here."

"Or not spending every second of her life studying." Deidra added. "You should really go. Have some freedom in your life. One day, your father won't be here anymore and you'll be expected to take care of yourself. People don't learn how to do that without being allowed to make mistakes when they are younger."

Riane sighed as she knew that she wouldn't win this battle right now. Not with both Deidra and Joe poking at the subject. "I'll consider it."

"Good." Deidra looked at her Rolex. "Your father should be calling in half an hour. Try to eat the pizza quickly, and then take the box out to the trash cans. Make sure you cover it with several bags, alright?"

She nodded as she walked into the kitchen with Joe behind her. The large kitchen was encircled with white marble counter tops and dark wood cabinets. In the center was an island that held a bowl filled with fruit and the stove top. The fridge with two stoves built into the wall were steel in color. This room alone could fit a couple of her classes.

"Did you get garlicky pizza again?" Joe asked with a disappointed look on her face.

Riane opened the fridge, pulled out the pizza box, and placed it on the island counter. "Yes, but I didn't get extra garlic this time."

Her father did not allow onions or garlic in their food as he said even the smallest amount was bad for one's breath. Sometimes she wondered if he made up rules simply because he didn't like certain foods.

Opening the box, Riane took a cold slice out and bit into it. Joe grabbed a second as they both stood around the island in silence. The only sounds were the chewing of their food.

"This one isn't so bad." Joe told her when she grabbed a second slice. "Today was rather fun, wasn't it?"

Riane smirked as she thought over the television show she had watched and how she hadn't really been part of the conversation. It had been fun to be part of a group without having to constantly think of what she would say next. "A little bit. Though, I worry that they might rub off on me too much and get me in trouble with my dad."

"I'll let you know if you are going to far, but it will be up to you to listen." Joe began to eat her slice of pizza. "So, if you had to say one of them was cute, who would you pick?"

She slowly shook her head, "No, I am not playing this game with you. If I say anything about any one of them, you'll try to get a boyfriend for me. I only like Blake."

"Whom you have not been around for two weeks." She sighed exhausted. "I realize that he might be with Adonia..."

"He is with Adonia." Riane corrected. "I saw the kiss and the hand around her shoulders. That was an intimate couple."

"Fine, but if you stick around long enough, she'll get jealous and he'll eventually dump her for it just like all the other girls." Joe hopped on top of the island to sit.

Riane began to pick off pieces of pepperoni and only eat that. "How long am I suppose to scare off his girlfriends, Joe? It doesn't seem right, anymore. It doesn't feel like winning when they run off. It feels like my friend is hurting."

"You've never had a boyfriend, and he is the closest you have ever come. Maybe time apart will be better for your relationship. Is that what you are saying?" Joe tossed her crust into the box.

Riane partly nodded, "I am beginning to wonder if space is the best thing so that my heart can stop wanting him. If I did that, I could move onto someone else."

"Like... perhaps... Julian or Seth or Dalen? Which one?" Joe tried to playfully trick her into answering her first question.

"Brat." She tossed a piece of pepperoni at her with laughter in her voice and when it stuck to Joe's shirt she laughed loudly.

With laughter, Joe pulled it off her shirt and put it into her mouth. "Ok, I get it, but it won't be easy. You've been crushing on him hard for years. I don't think a couple weeks will fix any of this. We might be talking long road of a year or more. By then you might have lost your friend."

"Sometimes I wonder if that is for the best." Riane placed what remained of her pizza in the box and stared down at the uneaten bites. "It takes a great deal for me not to skip over to him with a smile every morning. It's exhausting offering my greetings and then moving away from him. I miss my friend a great deal, and I am afraid of what he might think of me if he found out about my feelings all along." She picked up another piece of pizza but then dropped it back into the box as if she decided not to eat it.

Joe jumped down from the counter and closed the pizza box. "I guess sometimes it's brave to stop chasing what doesn't want to be caught."

Riane snorted bitterly, "That must be what it looks like from the outside looking in."

She slowly nodded. "I say this with love, Riane. You can not stand at his side for this long and look at him with those eyes, and have girls no doubt outright tell him of your feelings and have him completely not know anything. Even if he won't admit it to himself because of fear of losing his friend, he knows deep down that your feelings are more than mere friendship."

She licked her bottom lip as she thought over her friends words. "I wish you would have said something like that earlier."

"You weren't ready to hear those words. Maybe you still are not capable of understanding them, because you don't want them to be true." Joe reached out and pulled her friend in for a hug. "Don't worry, I can say them again later if you need them."

"Thanks."

"Get ready for your phone call. I'll bury this in the trash cans." Joe picked up the pizza box and headed out the door.

---***---

Riane had spent most of her Sunday telling herself to go to Dalen's house as invited, and then talking herself out of it. Joe had gone through a roller coaster of emotions as she readied herself to go, and then sat back down to watch her friend wrestle with herself.

Speaking to her father had made her believe he knew what she had done and he was waiting to see if she would dig herself deeper. Of course, it was a ridiculous idea, but her anxiety made her paranoid of every possible outcome.

Eventually, it was nightfall and they went to bed without ever going over to her friend's house... or rather mansion in this case.

The next day, Riane said her goodbyes and stepped out of her car. She found Adonia and Blake waiting for her as per usual by the gates, only today Julian's older brother was speaking to them.

Riane walked over to them with a partial smile on her lips, "Good morning."

"Good morning." They both replied in unison.

"Riane, this is Bryce Swithin. Julian's older brother." Adonia introduced them. "He said he wanted to talk to you." She said the second part after the two had shook hands.

He wanted to speak to her? Her heart raced a million miles a second, as she thought of every horrible thing he could possible say.

"Yes, in private... or as private as we can get." He motioned towards an area near the fence away from the many students.

Riane followed him though she felt panicked to do so and when they were alone enough. She stood in front of the very tall and handsome older brother, who had nothing but a friendly grin on his lips.

"My mother wanted to confirm her suspicions. You see Adonia told me that you were a girl earlier this year, and my brother tells me that you are a male. My mother however knows that your father's only son is ten." Bryce stared down at her for several seconds as he watched the panic set in. "Hey, hey. Don't freak out or anything. I do not plan on telling my brother."

"Then why bother to ask?" She finally was able to speak words once more.

"I normally wouldn't, but as I said my mother wanted confirmation. You see, my brother does not play well with females, not even ones he is related to. Therefore, she wanted to know if Julian is hanging out with a female without his knowledge." Bryce continued to have a friendly expression, "Your friends told me that you have social anxiety and that I should be aware of that before confronting you. I promise you that my mother and I have no intention of destroying your friendship with him. We just want to see if he is growing."

"I am female, and I only lied because he has always thought of me as male and I never bothered to correct him. He used to tease me that I looked like a girl, and I preferred that over what he would say when he found out I actually was a girl. Then we became friends in some crazy whirlwind way, and I am too afraid for him to find out the truth, especially knowing how he feels about girls." She spoke the words so fast that it almost made Bryce's head spin.

Bryce chuckled, "I really am making you very nervous. I apologize, but you are cute when you act this way." He watched her face turn red, "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to upset you more."

"Is that all you wanted to know?" She wanted to run away from this man and this conversation as quickly as possible.

"To be clear, you are a girl and you like boys?" Bryce had a bad feeling he knew what his mother was up to, but he knew better than to promise to make certain of something and then not follow through.

"Like boys? What does that have to do with anything?" Riane was now the one with the bad feeling in her gut.

"Yeah, like if a boy... say, for instance, uh, me asked you out on a date, you would go because you are attracted to boys." Bryce heard himself speak and cringed at every single word he had just said. "Um, not that I am asking you out, I am just... please, answer the question and put me out of this humiliating misery."

"Yes." She mumbled. "I like boys." She looked over her shoulder. "I just dress like a boy because that is the way my mother always dressed me, and I feel uncomfortable in female clothing. Got it?" She told him the last part because she was getting annoyed with his questions, and she was getting to the part of her anxiety where she would use fight or flight.

Bryce's face was bright red, "Alright, good. Thank you. Sorry. I am sorry. I... will go now." He started to walk away and turned back as he continued to walk. "I am really sorry. Sorry. So sorry."

Riane watched him bump into a couple people and apologize to them, before looking back to her and apologizing to her. A smirk came to her lips as something in her heart fluttered, but she quickly brought herself back to reality.

Her attention turned to Adonia and Blake who were still waiting for her. She quickly walked over to them. "Well, I'll be late for class if I don't hurry. See you later."

"Have lunch with us today." Blake asked quickly before she could run away.

She stopped her hurried steps and looked back at him. "The guys and I have plans. Julian's going to go off campus right before lunch and buy a pizza for us. It's some tradition that they have right before testing begins."

Blake snorted and looked offended. "Yeah, I remember traditions. The one where you and I ate lunch together every single day since middle school. Guess that can be broken for your new friends, eh? In with the new, out with the old?"

Riane pressed her lips together and glared at her friend. "Yes, just like that tradition that ended up with an extra person in it one day. It was right before you told me that I am a bother and you have to lie to me to get rid of me."

Adonia became increasingly uncomfortable and she felt a ping of guilt for being the reason that these two close friends were arguing.

"I guess lying has become second nature to you, because you didn't tell me that Adonia was your girlfriend." Riane snapped.

"I didn't tell you because you ruin my relationships! You get jealous of them and then they get jealous of you! They tell me that you are crushing on me and that makes me uncomfortable!" Blake barked back at her.

She stared at him for several seconds as she felt her heart finally break. She always knew he did not see her that way, but to hear the words out loud in front of his new girlfriend were both humiliating and devastating.

"You want me to start calling you by female pronouns, I will. I am sorry, I didn't know it bothered you so much, as you never said anything before now." Blake continued, completely oblivious to what she was feeling in those moments. "Just tell me what the problem is, and I can help you to fix it. That way, we can be friends again. I miss my friend, Riane. See, I am calling you Riane and not Ryan!"

Riane looked at Adonia and then back to Blake, "Do you want to know what the problem is, Blake? You really want to know?"

"Riane." Adonia mumbled under her breath as she realized what was about to happen.

"I do." Blake stood strong.

Riane laughed for a moment, "Joe told me last night that you can't have had me at your side all this time and have every single girlfriend tell you and still not know what the problem really is."

"What are you saying?" Blake looked confused for a moment.

"I am saying that all your girlfriends were right, and the reason that I don't want to be around you anymore is that I am tired of being ignored. I am going my own way now, please do the same for yourself." With that Riane turned around and stomped away from him.

Adonia looked at Blake whose face looked unsurprised, but instead angry that the truth had finally been spoken. Riane was right, he had known all along about her feelings, he just didn't want them to come to light.

Chapter 3: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=362

Comments for Chapter 2: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=426