Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 27: Fulfill A Dream

"Good afternoon!" Ophelia's small form appeared next to the large Mondue who just departed from the Prince. She stuck near him as the crowd walked around him, giving her enough room to walk out of the classroom pathways as well.

Krius was impressed by the girl's apparent lack of fear for him. "Good afternoon, Lady Romanus."

The small Souchan smiled at the mere fact that he knew her name. She stopped walking to dig in her bag that she carried on her shoulder, and was surprised to find that Krius halted his steps as well which made it easier for her to find the item. Pulling out a white shirt, she offered it to him. "Lenore purchased a great deal of cloth as well. So, I made this for you from the cloth you bought us. I didn't have your measurements so I was forced to guess."

He stared down at the folded white shirt as if he was uncertain of it.

"If it needs any adjustments then return it to me and I will hem it." She offered it to him once more before he took it.

"May I ask why?"

Ophelia was the one to be surprised this time and by the question no less. "Why did I make you a shirt?"

He gave a firm nod.

"For buying the cloth, of course." She chuckled as if the gesture was the most natural thing in the world and he was the fool for not knowing so. "Lenore already knew that I had gone out with you and was able to guess where I received the cloth from."

"I see." He tucked the shirt under his arm.

"Don't worry, she didn't say anything about not using the cloth for herself. Actually, she seemed drawn to it in a very unnatural way. Perhaps that is just her royal pampering showing through her harsh self." Ophelia tossed the straps of her bag over her shoulders.

"That is good then." He watched her as she stared at him and then realized his manners. "I appreciate the thought."

"You do not like it then?" She frowned, "I apologize, I should have asked before I went through all the trouble, but I feared you would say no."

The large Mondue watched as she started to look panicked by her attempt, and for some reason or another he felt the need to sooth her. She was like a small kitten in the rain in those moments that not even he could turn away. "I meant no such thing. I expressed gratitude nothing more."

She quickly began to smile. Krius noted that Lenore never would have bought such a clumsy and obvious excuse, but the Souchan seemed to crave the approval. Though, he briefly wondered why he had even bothered. The truth was that he had plenty of shirts and they were crafted by some of the most famous tailors in the lands.

"I am glad. I saw that you left the Prince's side and I wanted to give this to you away from him. No doubt, you have many important errands to run so I shall leave you to them." Ophelia bowed her head before she adjusted her bag briefly. "Good afternoon, Lord La Croix. Eat well this evening."

Krius nodded as she ran off into the crowd before looking down at the shirt in his arms. He would now have to walk about the university carrying clothing, and he groaned at the thought. The Souchan girl seemed to have grown fond of him, and he hoped that she was just a pleasant person and not someone he would eventually have to scare away. He had grown weary of such women and had no interest in pursuing anyone but the Princess herself.

---***---

Jolon hurried back to the dorm after classes nearly knocking other students over, who no doubt could have caused him a great deal of grief if he had done so. Saena had mentioned the day before that she could come to the dorms during her meal breaks and study, and he knew her dinner break was directly after classes. He hoped to be able to catch her before she had to return to her duties.

A smile was hard to hide as he ran down the dirt path with hope in his heart that she was still there. Even if he could only speak to her for a couple moments, he told himself that it would be all he would need.

As he entered into the dirt court, he found himself both in luck and in misery. Sitting on Santh's bed, Saena was reading a book. They had learned that her reading skills were not up to par, but Lenore had said she would get better and they had no time to devout a large amount of energy to it. Though, Saena had taken home some books in promise that she would teach herself since she barely read in her everyday life except for the lists of tasks she had during her work sessions.

However, Saena reading was not what caused distress to Jolon's heart, but that Authin was sitting beside her and assisting her with some of the words she was having difficulty with. They sat so close together that their thighs were touching and Authin had one hand on her back as he leaned in to help her sound out words.

"Saena." Jolon approached. His voice was light until he looked toward Authin and frowned, "Authin."

Authin stood from the bed and grinned. "You have sweat on your brow. Did you run all the way here?"

Jolon ignored the question. "How did you return to the dorms so quickly?"

"I did not attend my last class as I had a terribly upset stomach from our lunch today. Do we really have to eat our meals here on our beds? Can we not returned to the dining hall?" Authin whined slightly.

"If that is where you wish to eat, then please leave us to our meals in peace." Jolon snapped at him.

Saena frowned at his behavior. "What is the matter, Jolon? You do not seem yourself? Are you not feeling well either?"

He opened his mouth to answer her but found he had little to say.

"I believe he is jealous of the time I spent with you." Authin spoke for him. "I seem to have overstepped my bounds."

Saena looked from Authin to Jolon who was standing in front of the platform, "He was merely assisting me, Jolon. There is no need to attack him verbally."

"This man is a monster, Saena. Never spend any time alone with him." Jolon was angry now that Authin had outed his feelings, and decided if that was how the man wanted to play then he would inform Saena of his dorm mate's past.

She sighed, "He told me as much."

Jolon's joy at getting the upper hand over the man withered away. "He told you? He spoke of what he did to Lenore?"

She nodded as she continued to sit on the bed. "Lenore has forgiven him and allowed him to live here. Since she is the victim, I believe it is her decision as to how we view the situation. I will be weary of him, but I hardly think that I stand on the level of a princess when it comes to Authin's preferences."

Authin chuckled, "I have no intention of stealing your woman's heart, Jolon. Rest at ease." He patted his shoulder.

"It's not her heart I fear for." He snapped once more.

"Jolon!" Saena stood up. "How dare you speak of such things!" She tossed the book on the bed and headed toward the servant's path near the stream. "I am returning to my daily tasks."

---***---

Lenore noticed Santh waiting for her outside her classroom so she was forced to speak with him briefly, but as they walked she was quick to leave his side so she could have a meeting without the intimidating Mondue nearby. She went to the library where her meeting was to take place and found her way to one of the private rooms.

Damek was sitting at the table, studying a scroll he had gotten from the main library when she entered and sat down across the table from him. "May I assume that this is about the same topic as we discussed before?" He asked without looking up from his scroll.

"Yes."

His eyes turned up. "I find it interesting that in the years that you have been here, never once have you approached to speak to me, but when there is some reason I can be of use then you will not leave me alone."

Lenore chuckled nervously. "I am harassing all the council members, not just ones that I am related to."

"So, I hear, but yet I take this personally." He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms across his chest.

"It is not as if we were ever friends. You were always older when we grew up, and I hardly knew you. As I recall, you demanded that your farewell ball exclude me." She sighed, "I assumed that you disliked me in the same manner that the Queen does."

He licked his lips and leaned forward. "I do not dislike you. However, I did not want you to be the talk of my ball while it was meant to be about me. After all, people do enjoy gossiping about you, as you have proven far too many times at this university."

Lenore shook her head with humor in her eyes, "I heard that you are angry that your father is not king so you take it out on Lesatan and myself."

He snorted, "My father is the eldest and he should be the king, but obviously that did not occur. Why cry over spilled milk?"

She looked at him skeptically as she folded her hands over the table. "Lesatan also took the head council seat from you without asking for a student vote. Did that not upset you?"

Damek smirked, "The amount of things your brother has taken from me without permission could fill this entire library. Although, you must admit I did a much better job than he ever did. I was attempting to rebuild that horrible dorm you are living in before you even took up residence. I was trying to make life better for all students, when your brother rammed his way in and destroyed so many carefully laid plans."

"If you are so annoyed by him, then why do you not help me in my endeavor?" Lenore sighed in frustration.

"No one in the council will ever defy Lesatan's wishes outwardly. Those who have chosen your side will still continue to say they haven't until the silent vote is taken." Damek looked back down at the scroll on the table. "That is the only place any of us feel safe from your brother's wrath. Do you know how many council members were run from this school when we had open votes? It became so horrific that the school officials stepped in and created the silent vote."

She nodded her head, "I remember. Can I be given an idea then of how close I am to victory or do you not know?"

He shook his head, "Even if I did, I would not betray the trusts of my fellow council members, Princess. You should understand the sentiment."

"Yes, of course." She stood from her seat and stared down at him. "Do not judge my brother too harshly, it is Aletta that forces him into many of these ill planned decisions."

Damek snorted, "I would believe that if it weren't for the mere fact that he seems to enjoy it with a sadistic grin every time someone's life bleeds out in front of him." He waved his hand at her. "Begone. I have much studying to do."

---***---

Remus had watched Ophelia give Krius his shirt from a distance, and had expected the giant man to toss it in her face. In truth, he almost hoped that the adviser would have been cruel to her in some way, but he seemed very accommodating and walked away with the shirt. Remus had followed behind him in hopes that the Mondue would throw the shirt away, but he tossed it over his shoulder and proceeded to go about his busy as if he was going to keep the item.

When he finally came to terms that the Mondue was not going to dispose of the shirt or cause it any harm, he stopped following him and sat down on the nearby bench in the flower court. Picking at his fingernails, he thought over the passed couple of days and tried to figure out why Ophelia was showing such an interest in the man. He had rescued her but did that one act really deserve such attention.

"Have you seen Lenore?" Santh approached him walking through the crowd of students and stopped to stand in front of him.

Remus raised his head to meet his gaze. "Ophelia went on an outing with Krius and then she made him a shirt. Surely, I haven't missed my time."

Sucking on his inner cheek, Santh stewed over the fact that his question had been ignored. He knew Remus was selfish and would only assist him once he had this conversation with the man. "Ophelia is the type that enjoys being rescued. Case in point, when Lenore saved her from the girls' dorm. She rarely leaves her side."

The merchant nodded his head and sighed as he dropped his hands into his lap. "Krius is not the type to want a woman of her stature. I shouldn't worry."

"He might not want her in a permanent state, but he is of Mondue blood, a large one at that. If he had been born in the actual Mondue party, he would be part of the Mondue Elite."

"Mondue Elite?" Remus had heard that term before but couldn't place where, it took a moment before the term finally settled in. "Ah, yes. The Mondue forces that assisted the Northern King in taking control over Souchan territories. Krius is a prime example of what one would look like then?" He chuckled, "I wasn't aware that there were enough born of that size that an army could be made of them."

"Most of them bred, those that are not join the force." Santh explained. "They pair them with the largest of women and..." He shook his head, "Never mind all that. My point is that Mondues are known to be aggressive in general, but the larger ones are more; it seems they have no control over their desires."

"Are you suggesting that Krius might use Ophelia in a primal way then toss her aside?" Remus stood from the bench.

"You have tended your soil long enough, now hurry to sow the seeds before another man does." He cleared his throat.

"You were not given permission to use my well crafted metaphor." He teased.

Ignoring his friend, Santh decided it was time to speak of the reason he had approached Remus to begin with. "Now, have you seen where Lenore has gone to?"

"Rumors are afloat that she went to speak to council member Damek Tahan." He told him as he adjusted his clothing.

"She has spoken to him before. Why does she insist of harassing the members in her attempts? Their minds won't change the more she challenges them." He folded his arms.

Remus noticed at that moment that the students passing them were giving Santh a wide berth and smirked to himself. "Damek is different."

"How so?"

"They have an intimate bond." He tried to hide any impish grin that was forming. If he had to be jealous today then he would certainly pass the emotion to his friend, it only seemed fair.

"What are you suggesting?" Santh's arms dropped to his side.

Remus patted his shoulder briefly, "There is a reason she had to sneak away from you, isn't there?"

"I never told you..." Santh frowned deeply. "Where are they meeting?"

"The library." He smiled as Santh turned around with all the speed and grace he had and hurried toward the center of the university.

---***---

Krine found her way down the dirt path where she could hear another walking not too far in front of her. When the clearing came into view, she noticed Remus had just arrived while the commoners and Routine were studying on their beds. Authin was practicing his sword play in the corner with a wooden practice sword.

"Pardon me." She spoke loudly, but only Remus took the time to turn and face her.

"Ah, Lady Ricacalen." Remus approached her and cupped her hand. "What brings you to the such a dark and dreary place? As if I do not know."

"Is he here?" She asked when she pulled her hand away from him.

He shook his head, "I am afraid that he spends a majority of his time shadowing the Princess for her own safety."

She nodded her head, "Please inform him that I called upon him and wish to speak to him with haste." With that she turned to leave only to find Santh and Lenore exiting out of the dirt path.

Lenore looked rather annoyed. "Remus, tell this brute that I moved around the university freely before he bothered with me and I can do so now!" She stomped toward him to stand at his side and point at Santh.

Remus turned his attention from the Princess to Santh. "I believe he heard you, must I echo the sentence? It seemed rather long winded."

Lenore frowned, stomped her foot once, and then hurried behind the dorm without saying another word.

"It is nice when the real Princess comes to visit." Remus chuckled to himself before leaving the other two alone.

Krine watched him walk away, "May I speak to you away from the dorm?" She asked and when she did so Santh turned around and headed back down the dirt path until they arrived at the now empty flower court that he had spoken to Remus in just an hour before.

When they arrive, he crossed his arms and turned to face her. Krine didn't looked intimidated by him and stood firmly in front of him.

"I must know of your intentions with the Princess." Krine demanded. "I have befriended her in a true fashion, but it is difficult to not become bitter when she controls all your time and you give me none to myself."

There was a silence as Santh stood stoically. She thought perhaps he would refuse to answer her or even deny what she was suggesting, but to her surprise he began to speak.

"While she and I attend this school, we do not have the bonds of our parties or our stature. This place will be the only time in my life where she is attainable, and when she leaves it will all end... it will be lost forever." Santh couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his own mouth. "Initially, I sought her attention by acting as her enemy, but I find it more satisfying now to act as her friend."

"I see." Krine exhaled loudly.

"I will have few women in my time that will seek me out. In fact, you are the only one thus far. All I ask is for your patience and to know that when our time here is done, she will be beyond my reach for eternity." Santh continued to stand as straight as he could as he looked into the woman's eyes before him.

"You are asking me to wait while you fulfill a dream that will never come true?" She asked and watched him nod. "Very well. I am nothing if not logical. I shall be here when reality finally comes into light." She bowed her head before heading down the path toward her dorm.

Santh shook his head as he was uncertain of why he had just told Krine everything, though he knew she would never leave him be unless she knew the truth of the matter. Santh could never be anything more to Lenore than a friend and a guard and he was well aware, but he had decided that he would enjoy these fleeting moments while he could.

---***---

Piera sat on the bench near the fountain in the Royal Dorms' Court. In her hand, she had pulled a tulip that had begun to die due to the approaching winter. She stroked the pink petals as she looked at it in her hands and sighed.

None of her friends would speak to her in a friendly manner anymore, and seemed almost afraid of insulting her. She no longer had any true friends in the Unmentionable's Dorm either as they all seemed afraid of informing her of anything that occurred there as per Lenore's instructions. Not even her brother seemed willing to tolerate her as much as he had before, mostly due to the fact that he was Lenore's fiance. Her existence was becoming quite lonely now, and the only interactions she received was her meals with Lesatan. A man who the night before had killed some of the hope she had for her future.

"Lady Nicoletti. It is becoming rather chilly. Wouldn't you be more comfortable inside?" Armand's voice asked as he had just recently entered through the gates, when he finally approached he sat down beside her. "You look like a child whose favorite toy is lost."

"None of my friends or my brother wish to spend any time with me now that I am betrothed to Lesatan... I mean Prince Lesatan." She sighed. "Lenore and the others fear me gaining knowledge of whatever it is Lenore is doing and they do not wish for me to be around, though they do not say it in so many words."

Armand looked surprised, "I have never known Lenore to be so cruel."

"She says it is to protect me from the Prince. If I do not hear of the on-goings then I can never be deemed a traitor." She tossed the tulip aside with one quick thrust.

"That sounds a great deal more like the Princess that I know." Armand leaned back and inhaled deeply. "Do you know when Princess Lenore was twelve she decided not to return to her mother's house? She was once a Vinson, you know? I remember the day very well. She stormed into one of the nicest guest room and told all the servants that the room belonged to her and she would be treated as the Princess she was claimed to be." He chuckled.

Piera didn't understand the humor in his story.

"At the time, there was a servant and her daughter that the Princess spent all of her time with. She ate with them, slept with them, and was taught by them. They were her family. The only one that cared for her and truly loved her. Her only true mother and sibling, you could say." He looked at Piera who seemed to be getting lost in the story. "Initially, when she claimed her rightful place, the two bowed to her and treated her differently, but the Princess would have none of that. She worked rather hard to show them that in her heart she was still the same child that the servant woman raised."

A smile crept across her face, "I see. So, I must work hard to show that I am no different." She watched him nod and they fell into a silence, before her grin was replaced by a frown. "Armand, what happened to the servant woman and her child? I have never heard her speak of them."

He looked into her eyes, "The Queen was angry at the Princess for claiming her place and wanted to punish her. She cared nothing for material things, so she attacked the only two people she loved. Sent them away to work elsewhere, and never informed the Princess of where. She warned them never write her."

"She must have been lonely then as well."

He smirked, "I befriended her until I came to university. I'll promise you to do the same if your former friends do not take you in after your hard work."

"Wouldn't Lesatan become jealous if I took a male friend?" She sighed as she stood up. "Thank you, but I can not accept."

Armand chuckled as he stood from the bench as well and began to walk into the dorms beside her. "His grace trusts me and we would never do anything to cause suspicion. All doors are open and all eyes can view us."

Piera giggled as they walked through the doors together.

---***---

Lenore was laying on her bed under the small canopy as Ophelia put pins into her latest shirt. It was too large for either of them and she guessed it was for Santh as it was far too wide to be a shirt for anyone else in the dorm. She was waiting for Saena and Dalton to arrive for their study group, but was too upset with the Mondue who had shoved his way into her meeting and nearly pulled her out.

He told her it was in appropriate for her to be with a man in a private room until she had told him that Damek was her cousin. She ignored him when he cursed Remus under his breath, as she was too humiliated by his actions in front of Damek. It made her look weak as if someone had control over her.

"Is that for Santh?" She asked as she put her bare feet up on one of the four poles that held the canopy up.

Ophelia nodded her head as her mouth was full of needles.

"Santh and Krius get theirs first, do they?" She slowly shook her head. "I thought this cloth was meant for us."

The Souchan took the needles from her mouth and looked at the Princess, "Who told you about my shirt for Krius?"

"Remus."

Ophelia smirked and held in a giggle. "I had hoped he saw that."

That caused Lenore to become interested and she sat up on the bed. "You had hoped?" She leaned forward on her knees. "What are you up to?"

She smirked and leaned forward so she could whisper into Lenore's ears. "Krine suggested that I make him jealous."

"Whatever for?"

"To make him act faster, of course." Ophelia looked shocked that Lenore didn't understand immediately what she was up to.

Lenore continued to seem dumbfounded. "Act faster on what? Why would he be jealous?"

Ophelia's mouth slowly dropped open, "Are you truly so lost in your own world that you can never even see others when they are not interacting with you?"

"What? Do you want to be stabbed with one of those needles?" Lenore laid back down on the bed, and then turned her head toward Ophelia. "Remus has feelings for you, and you for him?"

She nodded her head, finally satisfied that Lenore had figured it out on her own. "I believe so. I mean, I think so. What do you think?"

Lenore thought over the secret that Remus' father had given her. Remus would be named the heir of the Merchant Guild. Unless Ophelia gave up her dream to take over her father's seat, they would have no future together. However, she could not betray Pymus and inform anyone of what he had planned. Remus was far too capable of getting information from people, and Ophelia was far too willing to give it.

"You come from different guilds. I would not get my hopes up." That was all she could think to say to her.

Ophelia frowned, "Does it matter?" She watched Lenore look at her curiously. "What matters is now, doesn't it? So what if I get hurt in a couple years. At least, I will have the experience and the memories, aren't those what build a person? Not whether you can keep something or someone forever, but just having it for a moment in time."

"How profound, Oppie. Whatever you do be careful around Krius. He may seem like an oversized puppy, but he can bare his fangs." She yawned.

"What did he do to you to make you hate him so?" Ophelia asked the question under her breath almost afraid for Lenore to hear her.

"Nothing of note." Lenore sat up as Anton came around the corner of the dorm. "And Annie is here."

Anton frowned, "Your brother and Saena have arrived. They have been waiting for ten minutes now."

---***---

Dalton made his way toward the Royal Dorms after a couple hours of study group with his sister. He hadn't befriended any of the group and he had no plans too. It was annoying enough to have to study with people beneath him, and now they had a servant girl that washed his sheets with them. He wondered what had become of his sister that she would consort with people of such low standing.

"On your way home?" Lenore appeared beside him, and watched him nod. "I shall walk you then."

"Are you one your way to the dorms as well?" Dalton asked.

"I am."

He frowned at her response, "Then as the only man between us, it would be I that would escort you." He growled under his breath.

Lenore sighed audibly, "Very well. Your big, brawny muscles shall escort me." With that she wrapped her arm over one of his own.

"Why are you visiting the dorms? Did the Prince summon you?" He asked as they walked together through the empty pathways.
She shook her head, "No, I just need to speak with someone living there. A conversation you shall not be privy too."

Dalton understood and continued to move forward as they fell into silence for a few moments. He looked at his sister beside him a couple of times, and thought of how different her appearance was now. Since she left their estate, he hadn't seen her until he arrived at university. She hadn't come to see him, and instead kept her distance. Of course, she spent a large majority of her time causing problems for her brother. Problems that the Prince would loudly proclaim in the Royal's dining hall.

"How is your father?" She asked breaking the silence.

"He is your father too." Dalton corrected. He hated that she pretended that his father hadn't adopted her as his own, and that the only father she saw was the King. A man who had tossed her aside in order to appease his queen. "He is well."

"I hardly think a man that tosses a child into the stables to live because he finds himself capable of having children is my father." Lenore sounded pleasant but there was a fine layer of venom in her voice.

Dalton snorted, "No, the man who gave you to that man and did nothing to protect you from the torture of both your step-parents is a much better father."

Lenore chuckled, "At least the latter made amends. I have yet to be shown any regret from your father or our mother. In truth, the Queen has been a better mother to me then our mother, and that is quite the statement."

"How can that be?" Dalton's voice carried alarm and anger.

Lenore smiled, "She bought me dresses. Would take me to balls. Forced me into learning etiquette. All things a good mother would do, while our mother left me in a stable to be watched over by young boys."

He said nothing in response, as he had no retort. It was a true enough statement, though he never really could understand why his parents disliked Lenore so greatly. She had never done anything against him. Though, he wondered if his side was just afraid of her as the Queen's side was.

After all, Lenore had been named the eldest child of the Vinson family whether she carried the name or not. In truth, she could take over the Vinson throne if something where to happen to him. He had often thought about that, but knew or rather hoped that Lenore would much rather have the Queen's throne then be the head of an arrogant and hated family.

"You go on inside." Lenore told him as they came to a stop in front of the gates.

"Shall I summon the one you wish to speak with?" He offered.

She slowly shook her head, "If I know him, he'll be back shortly. Goodnight."

---***---

After Lenore left and Ophelia went back behind the dorm in order for her to finish up her shirts, Remus found his way around. Initially, he stood silently when she didn't notice him as he tried to think over what he would say to her. He knew he had to speak to her about her actions toward the adviser, but he wasn't certain what he wanted to warn her against.
"You haven't been measured yet, have you?" Ophelia asked which startled him as he thought she still hadn't noticed him.

Walking over to the two beds under the wooden canopy, Remus sat down on Lenore's bed. They had several baskets filled with fabric, clothing, bathing care, and other items. He noted that they had more baskets between the two of them then all of the males in the dorm combined.

"You realize that Krius will never wear that shirt, do you not?" He mentally scolded himself for being so blunt and jumping into the conversation without any thought to her.

Ophelia was sewing together a sleeve in her lap as she laid on the bed and looked up at the man. "Why wouldn't he? He chose that cloth. He even said it would be good enough for Lenore to use. If it is good enough for a Princess, then it's is for him as well."

"I am not speaking of the cloth." Remus cleared his throat. "I am speaking of the tailor. The finest tailors craft his clothing. He couldn't possibly want to wear your shirt, especially when the Royal Party sees you as nothing more than a traitor's daughter."

She slowly began to frown as he spoke and lowered her sleeve into the lap. The stare she gave him showed no hurt, but instead a wonder. "Is there a reason you are being so cruel to me?"

Remus opened his mouth to speak but slowly shut it as he had no answer, at least none that he was willing to give her.

"It doesn't matter if he wears it or not. I did him a kindness and he accepted. Whether he finds that shirt worth wearing is his own matter now." Ophelia returned to her sleeve. "That's what Lenore would say if she were me."

Remus snorted, "Yes, because the one thing we desire more than anything is another Lenore in this dorm." He lowered his head briefly when she cast her gaze at him. "I am merely trying to prepare you for heartache. What if you find that he has thrown the shirt away or given it to another?"

"Lenore would say that it is his to do as he pleases." She slowly shook her head in disbelief. "I can hardly believe that I am speaking to Remus as of this moment. The voice and the face are yours, but the words sound oddly like Santh." She smirked. "Like Santh when he is jealous and wants to gain Lenore's attention."

If he had been a bird all of his feathers would have risen in that moment. "Santh? You are accusing me of acting like him? I am nothing if not straight forward with how I feel!" Remus stood from the bed.

Ophelia pressed her lips together and gave him a look that told him she didn't believe a word he was saying. As he glared down at her, she decided that he was about to loose all sense and decided to change the topic entirely. "Do you want to be measured or not?"

"I do not!" He declared. "Why would I desire a service that you give freely to any one who even looks at you pleasantly?"

"Most tailors accept money." Ophelia sighed, "Go find Santh and have your hissy fit with him, I have no time. Anton needs a new shirt, so I must finish this tonight."

Remus stood in disbelief that she had just dismissed him. He opened his mouth several times to speak, but could think of nothing more to say. With a quick huff and a turn, he hurried back around the dorm.

Ophelia looked up from her work and smiled, "That was a great deal easier than I thought it would be." She giggled as she looked over at the bed to find her dorm mate. "Where did Lenore go?"

---***---

Krius walked toward the Royal Dorm gates, but stopped in his tracks when he noticed that Lenore was waiting beside the gate guards. He approached and she turned her attention to him. He was surprised when she came to greet him. The soft winds were blowing her red hair around in it's tie, and her clothing looked to be of cheap material. He wondered how the Princess he knew had come to be this person.

Though she had always been able to demand what she wanted, she was once a very soft woman in her words. She would get her way through kindness, but it seemed since they arrived at the university she had completely changed her personality. He barely recognized her anymore, though there were times when he could still see the woman he remembered.

"Krius, a word if I may?" She motioned for him to step away from the gate guards, but not enter the Royal Dorms.

He bowed his head and they walked away a bit, before Lenore decided that it was far enough. He noticed that the guards could still see them, but not hear them anymore.

"What are your intentions with Ophelia?" She asked immediately, ignoring any decorum between them. She knew what her friend had in mind, but she wondered if Krius would be foolish enough to believe he was anything more than a prop in her little jealousy play.

He raised his eyebrows briefly at the question and then offered a rare smirk. "That would be a question that only a parent might ask or a jealous lover."

"See me as a parent then." She retorted. "I am ensuring the safety of my good friend, and I demand an answer. Not as your old friend, but as the Princess."

All humor melted from his face. "I have never approached your 'good friend,' milady. Never once have I sought her out, so I fail to see how this could be seen as my doing." He scoffed, "In fact, if I recall correctly, I assisted her when you were no where to be found, and yet my intentions are called into question?"

"You are suggesting that she offered the outing?" Lenore crossed her arms.

"I am." Krius growled in return. "If you insist, however, I will send her away from this point on. I was attempting to be cordial as the girl is indeed your friend, but I will ensure from now on she fears my presence."

"Oh, no!" Lenore laughed. "You will not make yourself her friend and then turn into her villain. Ophelia may seem naïve, but it wouldn't take her very long to realize someone was behind her loss."

Krius was becoming annoyed by this conversation. All he wanted to do was return to his room, study for a short time, and then fall asleep. He had been working for the Prince since he left his last class, and this was not what he wanted to deal with at this moment. Though, he knew that traitor's daughter would eventually cause trouble for him. "What would you have me do, then?"

She took a moment to think. "Nothing that you are doing has caused any harm. You may continue as you were, but I will always question your intent." She turned to leave and Krius reached out his hand to grab her arm. She immediately jumped away and glared up at him.

"Will I be punished for all eternity for my indiscretion? How many times must I apologize for what has been done, before you do not flinch at the mere thought of my touch?"

Lenore had no answer for him.

Krius understood why however. "You realize that I still love you, and I still have aspirations that one day we will move passed this."

"Move passed this? After what..." She realized she was yelling and lowered her voice. "After what you did, I shall never forgive you. I will never feel the same way for you again."

The large Mondue frowned deeply, "I can not explain to you again how very drunk I was that night. I remember none of what happened."

Lenore's mouth dropped for a moment before she seemed like she was nearing tears. "The fact that you cannot remember something that was so detrimental to me comes as no comfort, Krius. None at all."