Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(CH2) Chapter 3: The Brick Wall

Riane couldn't believe what she had just said to Blake. Her heart raced in her chest as she passed through the crowd, but it wasn't do to her anxiety but instead the overwhelming fear that she had implanted in herself with just a few words.

As she approached her first classroom, she stopped and stared at the door. She wouldn't be able to concentrate on the subject at hand, not today. Her thoughts went immediately to the area behind the gym, where she knew Julian would be sitting. However, she couldn't tell him what had happened not with Blake and certainly not with Bryce.

When her mind remembered what Bryce had said before her argument with Blake, her heart ached more. She did not know what Bryce had intended, but she had a feeling that something was about to happen. She couldn't tell if he was asking for himself or really for his mother, but if it was for the latter a darkness grew in her gut.

Running away from the classroom, she pulled her cellphone from her pocket and found her friend's number. It rang a couple times before Joe finally picked up.

“Hey, you are on speaker. I am on the freeway.” Joe told her immediately.

“Uh, some bad things have happened.” They were the only words she could thing of in that moment.

Joe was quiet for a moment, “How bad? Like physically bad or socially bad?”

“Socially, I think.” Riane was fighting a quiver in her lips as she didn't want to be seen crying into her phone.

“Do you want me to come get you?” Joe asked with concern in her voice.

Riane thought of what Blake had said about having to give up everything for her, and she realized that Joe was on her way to school. She couldn't ask her to give up her education. “Uh, no. Go to school. We will talk later. I just needed to hear your voice.”

Joe didn't sound convinced, but seemed willing to let to issue die for now. “Oh, ok. I'll see you at three.”

Riane forget to say goodbye and merely hung up the phone. She pressed herself against the building and placed her hand on her forehead. There was no where to go and no one to speak with about this issue. Her friends either hated her, were busy, or thought she was a boy. For the first time in her life, she was truly alone.

Slowly she slid down the brick wall with her backpack catching spots here and there, until she was finally sitting. She held her knees against her chest and pressed her forehead against her knees.

“Are you really a girl?” A voice spoke to her right.

Riane lifted her head and looked at Dalen, who seemed disheveled. Riane closed her eyes tightly together and dropped her head back down to her knees. It was now truly over, everything would come to an end.

“I went to get you at the gate and I heard you talking to Bryce... and to your friend.” Dalen told her. “I've been looking all over for you since you charged off.” With those words spoken, Dalen walked over and sat down beside her with his back against the wall. “You are really a girl?”

Riane nodded her head with her forehead still laying on her knees.

“Thank goodness.” Dalen chuckled.

It was not a reaction that she had expected and she raised her head to look at him. “What?”

He laughed, “I was starting to think I was obsessing over a guy. Julian told me that I talk about you and wanted to invite you with us too much. I must have just known deep down that you were a girl all along.” Suddenly he cleared his throat. “And I just admitted that I might have a crush on you. My humiliation is complete.” He patted himself on the back.

“What?” It was the only word that came to her mind.

“Oh, don't worry. It isn't even a real crush, just like a feeling. I like Jolene more. Wait, I don't mean that...” He took a deep breath, “Ok, let me try this again. Why are you pretending to be male?”

Riane stared at him for a second, “Why are you taking this so well? I lied to you.”

He shrugged, “Seems to me that we made the assumption and you just didn't correct us. I guess that is lying by omission though. You didn't answer my question.”

“I've always dressed as a boy; it's how my mother tried to make up to my dad that I was born a girl.” She explained.

“Wow, that is... I thought my family was fucked up.” He said trying to lighten the mood, but he started to giggle.

“What is so funny?” Her heart sank with his laughter.

“Julian has been close friends for the past couple of weeks with a woman.” He chuckled, “He would die if he knew the truth.”

Riane's face looked stunned as she didn't want to ask him to lie for her, but she didn't want to lose her friends either.

“Ah, don't worry. I still need you around so I can see Jolene, also I like you. Platonic-like. I mean not that I am taking my words back from before, I just want you to know...” He went silent again. “You know what I mean, so I'll stop talking.”

“You aren't going to tell Julian?” She watched him shake his head, “Why not?”

Dalen shrugged his shoulders. “Ah, Julian could use a good lesson, I guess. Plus, if he kicks you out of the group that would mean not being able to hang out with you. That would be a downer, so we can keep a secret. You know, however, that Bryce's mother might be zoning in on you to be Julian's fiancee.”

The fact that he overheard the conversation and come to a similar conclusion as she did made her whole body ache in fear. “I was scared that was what that was all about.”

“Well, hopefully your father wants you to marry an heir to something and not some spare. He seems the type that would want to use his daughter as a chip for more power. Right?” He stared at her as she nodded her head.

They were silent for a moment as Riane hadn't even allowed her conversation with Bryce to sink in enough to bother her.

“So, unrequited love? That's shit. I have been on the losing side of that feeling more times than I would like to count.” Dalen could see that his friend was hurting, but was running out of material to speak to her about.

Riane slowly nodded her head, “Yeah, he didn't know I was a girl for a few years, so I think he sees me as his brother.”

“Might be the choices in wardrobe.” He teased.

She giggled, “Of course.”

“Why not start dressing like a girl? Other than the obvious of not wanting to lose your new friends.”

She shrugged her shoulders, “I am not comfortable in them. I have never worn them outside of my house before, so I feel weird. I already have anxiety, I don't need to add to the feeling by wearing clothes that I feel judged in.”

“You know what you could do?” He watched her stare at him for a moment. “You go to another city, where you don't know anybody, in these clothes, but bring some other clothes with you. Go into a shopping mall or something to change in the bathroom. Just walk around in them and find out that you are just a face in the crowd.”

“I don't like crowds.” She replied with humor in her voice.

“Joe and I can go with you.” He bumped her shoulder with his own. “See what I did there? Help a friend and get to spend time with your driver. It's a win win for me.”

Riane pressed her lips together for a moment, she was terrified of the idea but she didn't want to reject her new partner in crime by not even trying his idea. “The plan makes me nervous, but... I guess if you two are with me, I can try. You just can't run off with her and leave me alone, got it?”

“Wouldn't dream of it.”

---***---

Lunch came quickly and Blake got his meal from the cafeteria as Adonia stood up from the table she had with her friends. She walked over to him before he could leave and head for the usual place he ate lunch.

“Why don't we eat with my friends? They are dying to meet you.” She said with a smile on her lips even though she knew he was in pain.

Blake slowly shook his head, “No, he... she might go to our spot to talk to me.”

“Do you think she will suddenly take it all back, and you two can live ignoring the truth again?” Adonia asked and watched Blake simply leave the crowded room.

She returned to her table and looked down at her friends. Kalei was on the cheerleading squad with her, while Parker was a friend from high school, who enjoyed video games, board games, and who was definitely going to graduate with honors in a lucrative field. Parker was a burnette with black thick rimmed glasses who always wore jeans and a printed t-shirt. While Kalei was her opposite with her hobbies being boys and fashion. She always had her blonde hair perfectly curled and whatever flavor of fashion that month was had to be worn at all times. They didn't seem like two people that would get along, but Kalei was so likable that she didn't really have any people that disliked her.

“Isn't this getting kind of rude?” Kalei asked her as she looked to Parker for verification. There were other girls sitting at the round table with them, but they weren't really part of their friendship triangle. The whole cafeteria had a murmur around them as others discussed their matters over lunch with friends.

Parker nodded in argument, “I am starting to take it personally.”

Adonia sighed as she picked up her tray. “He is dealing with something difficult right now. Look, I can't explain it, because it is his personal business. As soon as it is dealt with, I will tell you both everything.”

“She is picking up her tray. Why is she picking up her tray?” Kalei asked sarcastically.

Leaning back in her seat, Parker frowned. “I guess we are being put aside again?”

“I'm sorry. Let's go shopping this weekend, and I'll make it up to you. I really don't think he should be by himself.” Adonia wasn't really begging for their approval, but she didn't want to leave them hurt.

“Fine, let her go.” Kalei waved her friend away.

Parker followed the gesture with the same.

“Thanks.” She said with a grin, before hurrying out of the cafeteria to find Blake.

He was sitting exactly where she thought he would be; on the stairs which were a couple buildings away from the cafeteria as there would be very little traffic. A place that Riane would love and did at one time.

Sitting down next to him, she began to eat the mixed fruit from her plate. “So, what bothers you the most about what happened?”

Blake snorted, “That every girl I have ever dated was right, and I called them jealous and ended my relationship with them. How blind I must have looked to everyone.” He had a bowl of clam chowder on his plate and a piece of french bread. Eating a spoonful he then returned to talking. “I also feel so bad for Riane.” He said her name carefully and he tried his best not to call her Ryan. “I must have seemed like an oblivious, heartless jerk to her for all these years.”

“I don't know if that's how you seem to her, but it certainly isn't how I see things. I think Riane liked you and stayed so close to you, because she knew that was the only way she was going to have you in her life. She obviously knew that you did not see her that way, and she feared telling you the truth for fear that you wouldn't be her friend anymore.” Adonia looked down at the Caesar salad with grilled chicken on her plate. It suddenly didn't seem appetizing anymore.

“Then why tell me now?” Blake asked as she turned his attention to her. “Am I so easily replaced by those other guys?”

She shrugged, “Maybe it took finding new friends in order for her to realize she didn't need to rely on you so heavily. When she finally told you and walked away from you, it might have been because that was how she always envisioned it. She thought she would lose her friend.”

Blake continued to eat his chowder as he thought over her words. “I guess I need to figure out what I want then. Do I prove to her that I am still her friend despite it? Or do I prove she was right about me all along?”

“Or you can give her time to ease away her feelings, before you approach her. She might have told you, because she doesn't want to feel that way anymore.” Adonia reached out her hand and rubbed his shoulder briefly.

A noise came from down towards the cafeteria. It was Julian being very loud as he laughed while he returned his tray. Seth, Dalen, and Riane were with them. Dalen had his arm over Riane's shoulder and was basically hugging her neck.

“Speak of the devil.” Adonia whispered under her breath.

Riane was laughing as Seth shoved Dalen who was still holding onto her. They were talking amongst themselves but the words were inaudible to the onlookers.

Dalen noticed them in the distance first and pointed it out to Riane, who looked in their direction. Both Adonia and Blake gave her a wave, but she did not offer one in return. Instead, she said something to the group as they moved out of eyesight.

Blake pressed his lips together tightly as annoyance built up in his chest, before turning back to his half eaten soup bowl.

“Hey, giving her a wave is a good idea. Acknowledging her but giving her space might be the best thing to do right now.” Adonia tried to be encouraging, but she didn't know if Blake would actually believe her.

“Adonia, I know you have a good heart, and you are trying very hard to help me in this situation. A situation that you saw coming before it happened, I am sure. Right now, your words are really making me question whether you are trying to sabotage my friendship with Riane.” Blake shook his head immediately, “Sorry. I'm sorry, I should not have said that. I know you are not that kind of person.”

She nodded her head, “I would hope so.”

He exhaled loudly, “Well, mopping around about it won't fix anything. You are being so kind and understanding. Maybe we should go out this weekend?”

She smiled, “Actually, I really wish you would do something for me. I am going shopping with the girls. It would mean a great deal if you came and spent the day with them. They really want to meet you and are starting to think you dislike them.”

“I... I don't know, Adonia.”

“Please!” She placed her hands together and begged, “Pretty, please. It would mean everything to me. They are my best friends.”

He chuckled at her actions, “Fine, I can't say no when you are being so cute.”

“Yeah!” She clapped in celebration. “I have never shopped for clothing for a guy that I wasn't related to before. It will be fun.”

“Shopping is not my idea of a good time.” He continued to eat his meal.

Adonia leaned forward and kissed his cheek. “For a guy, it never is, but what comes after when he makes his girl happy makes him very happy.”

“Oh, does it now?”

She nodded with a cheeky grin right as the bells began to ring. “Damn it. I toyed around for so long making my decision on what to eat, and now I have had only two bites of my salad.”

“I'm sorry. Do you want my bread?” He offered it to her.

She took it with a smile. “Thanks, it will hold me over until after classes at least.”

With that they both stood up and walked their trays back to the cafeteria. Blake was in a slightly better mood than he had been before Adonia decided to comfort him.

---***---

The weekend was upon them more quickly than Riane would have liked. In no time at all, she, Joe, and Dalen were driving in his red Ferrari to an unknown mall. When he had picked them up, he told her it would be a surprise. She didn't know what would be so surprising about a mall.

Joe had sat in the front with Dalen and the two chatted the entire trip, but Riane remained silent as she looked over at the bag beside her. She hadn't picked out anything too daring. A simply yellow floral pattern summer dress with brown sandals and matching belt. Joe had packed for her some eyeliner, foundation, and lip gloss. She didn't want too heavy of make-up on her first outing.

Once they were in the mall, they moved through the crowded food court to the bathroom. Joe held her hand the entire time so Riane would be comfortable. As they were heading into the bathroom, Dalen took their smoothie orders and went to buy them while he waited. Joe had come in less than flattering clothes as well, so that her friend wouldn't be the only one changing in a public bathroom. Riane hadn't even asked her to do so, but she insisted it would help.

Inside the stall, Riane inhaled several times over. She could hear Joe changing next to her and the sounds of other women using the rest room, washing their hands, and leaving.

“Are you alright?” Joe asked when she could see under the stall that Riane still had her tennis shoes on.

Riane had hung the dress up on a hook as she stared at it. “I don't know if I can do this.”

“At least put it on, and let me do your hair and make-up. If you simply can't go to the food court, then we were take it all off and call it a good first step.” Joe had finished changing and had stepped outside her stall to lean against her friend's. “You can do this, Riane.”

“Alright.” Riane began to take off her clothing and shove it into the duffel bag at her feet. She slid the dress over her body and immediately noticed her bra strap was showing. “You can see my bra strap.”

“That's not unusually in those types of dresses. Don't worry, people know females wear bras.” Joe was partly teasing and partly encouraging.

Sitting on the toilet, she put on her sandals and placed her shoes in the bag before stepping out into the main room of the bathroom.

Joe smiled at her immediately. “You look adorable. Next time, I can give you hair extensions if you want.”

“Julian has longer hair, maybe I could get away with growing it a little.” Riane said under her breath as she half hoped that her friend wouldn't hear her.

“I don't think your father would object.” She told her before motioning her towards the sink where Riane got a first look at herself.

“I look stupid.” She said flatly.

“Hold on. I have some hair clips that will help, and then we will put on some make-up.” Joe told her as she dug through her make-up bag. “Must be weird wearing an actual bra instead of a sports bra that is a cup size too small.” She said as she put make-up on her.”

“I am not very big to begin with. I suppose I have been lucky so far in that, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten away with this as far as I have.” Riane looked in the mirror once Joe finished putting on her foundation and eyeliner. “I still look stupid.” She watched her friend clip back her hair with a flower clip that looked like a small yellow rose.

“You look beautiful. Do you want to take it all off?” Joe asked when she saw how disappointed her friend looked, but to her surprise Riane slowly shook her head.

“This was Dalen's idea. I should at least walk around a little bit.” She tossed the handle of her bag over her shoulder and they both made their way out of the bathroom, where they found Dalen sitting at a table by himself with three smoothies.

He smiled when they approached, “I can barely recognize you, Ryan. You look very nice.” He motioned for them both to sit down. “Kiwi strawberry for Joe, and a raspberry for Ryan.”

“Riane.” Joe corrected.

“Oh.” Dalen smiled at her, “I just assumed your name really was Ryan after you told me about your mom.”

Riane shook her head as she took her first sip, “You can keep calling me Ryan for now. It is better so you don't slip up in front of Julian.”

“Good plan.” Dalen looked at his buzzing phone. “Speak of the devil.” He answered the phone. “What?”

Joe looked over to her friend, “How are you feeling?”

“Weird, but no one is staring at me. I am just some nobody. It's rather horrifying because I keep waiting for someone to tell me that I am not suppose to be dressed like this.” She inhaled, “Nobody cares.”

“No, that is not Ryan in the background. No, I am not in town. I am out on a date.” Dalen snapped and motioned for the girls to be quiet. “None of your business. Go play with Seth, he's probably at my house.” He sighed, “Yes, fine, Ryan and I are hanging out, are you happy?” Dalen chuckled and looked over at Riane, “He's not happy. He wants to know why he and Seth weren't invited?”

“What we can't hang out without them?” Riane asked, “Does he need us to hold his hand whenever we go out? Can't do anything on his own then?”

“You hear that? Go play with Seth.” Dalen hung up the phone, “Sorry, he knew it was you but I don't think he understood what you were saying. Mostly, because he was talking over you.”

The group chuckled and continued to drink their smoothies.

“There is an arcade, do you want to do that when we finish up here?” Dalen asked.

“I've never been to an arcade.” Riane admitted sheepishly and slowly took another sip of her smoothie so she wouldn't have to give further explanation, although Dalen already understood why.

Joe grinned, “Well then, it's about time you rode that pony. I haven't been to one since I was a little kid.”

“You'll have to teach me. I have never played video games before, remember?” Riane sighed as she stared down at her floral dress. “Feels weird to not have pants on in public.”

“Sounds like my worst nightmare.” Dalen joked and got a laugh from the two of them.

“Joe?” A voice came from the crowd and immediately the group of three had their heartbeat rise at the name.

Riane knew the voice immediately and Dalen noticed him first as he made his way over to them. Reaching under the table, he took Riane's hand and squeezed it gently. She thought perhaps he knew she wanted to run away and was trying to keep her there. She wanted to shove his hand back and call him an ass, but she thought perhaps he was just trying to keep her calm and she was over thinking his intentions.

“Blake.” Joe stood up and put herself in a position to hide Riane from him. “What are you doing here?”

“Adonia and her friends are shopping and I tagged along. I am hungry, but they are all filled up on big deals. So, I came to get a bite.” He noticed Dalen and gave a nod to him. “Who is your friend?” He noticed Dalen holding the hand of the girl who had her head down.

Joe swallowed and stepped out of the way so he could see her clearly. She didn't have to say anything before Blake recognized his best friend.

“Ryan... I mean Riane. Hey. I didn't recognize you.” He said softly.

“Blake!” Adonia's voice could be heard in the crowd.

Riane's grasp of Dalen's hand tightly grew until she felt herself being yanked away, and the two ran through the crowd of people abandoning Joe to the others. Riane laughed for several moments until the two were hidden inside a shoe store.

“What about Joe?” Riane chuckled.

“She has a phone on her. I'll text her and tell her were to find us.” Dalen said with a smile across his lips. “That was scary for me just watching you. I guess the arcade is off then?”

Riane continued to smile, “Maybe, just the one in this mall.”

“Ok, I know of another close by. Let's collect Joe.”

---***---

Julian sat at the dining room table as he stared down at the phone in his hand. His father had informed him that a marriage contract had been made, but he did not inform him as to who it would be with. He tried to ask questions about the girl, and his mother said she believed that he would like her. That did nothing to raise his confidence.

He had wanted to call his friends together to rant, but Seth was not answering his phone and now it seemed like Ryan and Dalen were out together. He had to sit in his anger and fear alone.

He tried to imagine what all this would look like in the end. Would the girl at least have sex with him so that he could get something out of this? He had heard many times that these marriages ended up as just business deals, and as much as he didn't like the idea if he did get married he wanted a relationship closer to his parents. He wanted two people that loved each other, not some sham for the cameras.

His mother had such a cheeky smirk on her face when she told him. He wanted so badly to smack it off of her and make her feel as badly as he did. She was so happy in the face of all this happening to him and he decided that his unhappiness made her thrilled.

“I met her.” Bryce entered into the room and sat down in the wooden chair beside his brother. “She's nice.”

“Is she hot?” Julian asked immediately.

“That's your question?” His brother scoffed, and when Julian continued to stare at him, he sighed. “She's cute.”

“So, not hot.” He lowered his head to the cool surface of the table and laid his forehead upon it. “I knew it. I knew they were going to stick me with some fucking ugly bitch to teach me a lesson.”

“She's not ugly, and it would serve you better to ask about her as a person anyway.” Bryce leaned back in his chair.

“Why?”

“Considering you are going to have to spend a great deal of time with her.” He waited for his brother to say something, but he was silent. “Mom is preparing a room for her. She is coming to live with us for a few months to see how she fits in.”

Julian lifted his head and looked in horror at his brother. “What the fuck did you just say?”

Before Bryce could say anything else, Julian jumped from his chair and scurried up the stairs to find his mother. His older brother was behind him and followed him to the empty room at the end of the hallway. Bryce and Julian had bedroom across the hall from each other and Zachary got a room in another direction. His parents shared the large master bedroom, then there was a play room, a music room, and a place for his mother to practice her ballet.

This room had been the play room which was mostly unused now that the children were too old to play with toys. It did not surprise Bryce that his brother knew exactly what room to head for as their mother had been talking about changing it to something else for years.

Julian flung open the door to find his mother making up a pink bed with his father standing nearby. They had been discussing something, no doubt the girl coming to live with them.

“What the shit!” Julian barked. “Are you two fucking out of your minds?”

Colin frowned at his son's choice of words and he was about to snap at him, when his wife began to speak instead. “I know!” She chuckled. “I really shouldn't have picked pink, but I have never had a girl live here with us before so I had no idea what I should do. I figured if she hates it, we can always change it to something else.” She smiled at her husband. “It is so much fun to buy things for a girl. I hope she loves shopping as much as I do.”

Her husband realized she was trying to distract Julian so he played along. “I am sure she will. It will be nice to have someone else around here, especially someone who doesn't laugh at their own farts all the time.”

Bryce was standing behind his brother and chuckled at the comment, while Julian stared in utter disbelief.

“You aren't even going to let me date her first?” Julian whined the question. “She is going to be a live in girlfriend before I even meet her?”

“We felt it would be better for her to see you outside of a dating atmosphere, and more as part of a family before we sent her out alone with you.” Colin explained.

Nanette nodded in agreement. “She should get to know us as well.”

Julian punched the door frame, before heading back down the hallway.

“I asked you not to say anything to him for the time being.” Colin reprimanded his eldest son who leaned against the door frame that his brother had just assaulted.

“This isn't right.” Bryce told his father. “It's cruel to him, and it is cruel to her.” He lowered his voice. “He thinks she is his friend, and you are about to destroy their friendship for your own gains.”

“It's a girl that he actually likes to hang out with, whether he knows it or not. I am sorry about their friendship, but I believe in cracking a few eggs to make an omelet.” Nanette explained and watched her son shake his head disapprovingly.

“They haven't been friends that long, so we aren't really destroying anything.” Colin continued to justify their reasonings.

“Which makes it worse. It might hurt a lot more to find out in the future that she is a girl, but there will be friendship and a bond. Right now, they are new friends and she will be easily cast aside.” Bryce sighed audibly. “You two are being so incredibly selfish right now. You are so worried over what other people think of Julian that you are forgetting to think of Julian. He doesn't have many friends, and doing this will cost him one. Pick another girl.”

Colin walked over to his son and placed his hand on his son's shoulder. “I know you are looking out for your brother, and that's commendable but we are as well, Bryce. All his life, he has been self absorbed and believing he was superior to everyone that I worry he might not have any real human emotion. I worry that he might not make bonds with others. I think everyone is expendable to him.”

“So, what is this just some mad science experiment? If you think he is a psychopath then take him to a shrink, don't fuck up both of their lives.” Bryce stepped away from his father's touch.

Nanette stood quietly next to the bed she was only half way finished making.

“The way your brother treats women is terrible, and if we have to force him to stay amongst a woman then we will. If she can take him acting like an ass when he thinks she is a male, then she has to be able to take him when he knows she is a female.” Colin shook his head. “Son, I know you think this is cruel, and yes, I agree, but surgeons have to cut to heal.”

“So many excuses, I am not sure which one you actually believe.” Bryce growled before turning around and heading down the hallway.

“He's always been a man of conviction.” He told his wife as she returned to making the bed. “Are you still alright with this?”

She nodded her head slowly. “I am terrified that even she will hate me for ruining what they have now. Deidra said that her father treats her terribly and if we moved her in here she might be willing to take whatever Julian throws at her in order to have a comfortable family around her.”

“I can't believe we are resorting to emotional manipulation of an eighteen year old girl.” Colin exhaled and ran his hand through his hair.

“We should view it differently. Simon had no terms on sending her here. He was more than happy to rid himself of his daughter, and we are going to provide her with a real family.” She sat down on the bed and looked at her husband. “Deidra says she has never even watched television or played a video game. He locks her away in her room and makes her study all day every day. She is barely allowed out only school and shopping with her driver. Her mother abandoned her for money. Maybe she will be happy here, despite Julian.”

Colin slowly nodded his head, “Maybe. All I know is when she finally arrives here, Julian will cause a scene so we best prepare how we should handle it.”

“I know.”

---***---

Joe and Riane pulled up the the house after Dalen had taken them to his home to switch cars. Riane had worn the dress all day and even on the ride home, only to change back at Dalen's home. They were still laughing about their day, as Joe retold the story of what happened after Dalen and her friend ran away.

“At first, I was like 'Did they just ditch me?' and then I looked at Blake and he was just staring at where you two had run off. His eyes all wide and his mouth hanging open.” Joe told Riane who was sitting in the passenger's seat beside her as she put the car into park.

Riane laughed alongside her even though she had heard this story several times, but something about it made her proud of herself.

“He says, 'That was Riane, right?' as Adonia walks up to stand next to him. She has this stupid smile on her face that fades as soon as she hears your name. 'Riane is here?'” Joe spoke Adonia's parts on a high pitched voice. “Blake is all, 'Yes, I think so.' and I am just standing there dumbfounded and trying to figure out what I should do. It so incredibly awkward so I just turn around and walk away.”

Riane burst out laughing, “No words said, just turned around and left the scene?”

She nodded her head as they both stepped out of the car, “I didn't even look back to see what they were doing, I just wanted to get out of there. They didn't come after me, so that was a plus.”

They continued to giggle as they walked up to the door and entered into the foyer, but their laughter was halted when Deidra stepped out from the living room with a deep frown on her lips.

“Hey, Deidra, you won't believe what I did today!” She was about to tell her when Deidra walked over to her and hugged her tightly.

“Your father called a couple hours ago.” She told her softly, before stepping back. “He found you a fiance and he wants you to go live with his family.”

The smiles on both girls' face slowly faded away as horror set in.

“I can't live with strangers, Deidra.” Riane could feel the panic settling into her chest. “I can't do it. Tell him, make something up. I can't do that.”

Deidra held onto her shoulders as Joe stood behind her.

“Let's go sit down.” Deidra told her as they walked into the living room that had no television and dark red couches with a white carpet.

Sitting down, Joe stood beside Riane with her hand on her shoulder as Deidra sat next to her and placed her hands on Riane's knees.

“I begged him. I asked him not to do this, but he says it is the best for everyone. He seems to think putting you in this situation will be good for you. He said he is tired of your anxiety lies and it is time for you to move forward; away from your family as any adult woman should.” Her stepmother explained.

Riane swallowed, “Who?” It was the only word she could manage as her heart raced in her chest.

“His name is Julian Swithin and...” She stopped speaking when she saw the look of horror on Riane's eyes. “What? What's wrong?”

Riane looked over her shoulder at Joe, “Dalen warned me that they might be plotting this, Joe. He said...” She stopped talking as she tried to breathe more naturally.

Joe pulled out her cellphone and texted Dalen. “They are making Riane move into Julian's house.”

Dalen immediately texted back, “Yeah, Julian told me just now, and I thought it might be Riane. Is she alright?”

Joe looked at Riane, “Julian knows.”

“He knows I am not a guy now?” Riane stood up and started pacing the room as she tossed her hands in the hair.

“I don't know. Dalen had to assume it was you, let me ask.” She began to text again. “Does he know about Riane?”

“He doesn't know who it is, yet. He does know that next weekend, she will be moving in.” Dalen explained. “You didn't answer; is she alright?”

“What do you think?” Joe wished he could hear her snapping at him but put her phone in her back pocket and looked at Riane. “He doesn't know it is you, but he knows she'll be moving in next weekend.”

Riane ran her hand through her hair and opened her mouth as if she were silently screaming. It was a habit from years of frustration to quietly scream in her bedroom.

Deidra seemed confused for a moment, “You know him? He thinks you are a boy?”

Joe nodded at the stepmother; who then sat back on the couch and placed her hands over her eyes as she tossed her head back. Joe remained standing and watching her friend.

Riane's phone buzzed and Joe picked it up to see who had texted her. “It's Julian.” She held out the phone to Riane who immediately snatched it out of her hand.

“Did you hear? My mom is fucking making the bitch she picked move in here.” Julian wrote, “She won't even tell me who it is.”

Riane swallowed, “I heard. Sorry.” She looked up at the two women in front of her and read what he had sent her.

“Bitch is a little harsh. He doesn't know the girl's circumstances.” Deidra started the sentence mumbling but spoke louder with each word.

Julian texted back, “Be fucking careful. If my parents would do this, just fucking imagine how your dad will do it.”

She decided not to respond to that text message and sighed. “Should I just tell him? Maybe spending another week lying won't help anything.”

Deidra nodded in agreement, “Your relationship has now changed. It is for the best to just rip the bandaid off and move on.”

Joe disagreed, “If you give him another week of being his friend, maybe it won't be so bad. He'll rant about this and you'll literately be able to give him first hand advice.”

“No, more lies only cause more resentment.” Her stepmother explained quietly, “When you see him on Monday, just tell him the truth. He might be upset but at least you won't shock him when you are suddenly moved into his home.”

“Tell him on Monday?” Riane asked.

“Yes, face to face. It is harder to get angry at someone when you can see their guilt clearly, then if they just write it. When you do that, you are at the mercy of whatever way they decide to read it.” Standing up, Deidra sighed. “Whatever you decide, you have one week and your father will not change his mind. His mother is coming over tomorrow to speak with you about all of this while your father is out of town. He will be here next weekend though.”

They watched her leave the room before Riane sighed, “Telling him on Monday, at least gives me more time to decide.”

“Don't use it to procrastinate. You either need to know what you are going to say, or prepare to lie to your friend until Saturday.” Joe sat down on the couch which she was afraid to do while Deidra was in the room.

Standing in the middle of the room, Riane stared down at her cellphone as another text from Julian came along. “My mom took the old play room and made it pink. She bought her a bunch of shit. She is so fucking excited about having another girl in the house. It's bullshit. My misery in exchange for a daughter.”

“What he say?” Joe assumed it was Julian again.

“Sorry to hear that.” Riane replied to him, before answering her friend. “Apparently his mother is very excited to have a girl in the house. My room is pink, I guess.”

She chuckled, “Well, at least there will be one ally. When she comes over tomorrow, we will talk about keeping me at your side and explain your anxiety. Let's just take this one step at a time, ok?”

---***---

Nanette sat in the dining room of a rather minimalist home. There was furniture but that was the extent, as there were no paintings or pictures on the walls, nor were there any knick knacks. The house looked as if someone had moved out and left all their furniture behind. Not a single familiar touch and everything was immaculate.

Nanette had spent a fortune on her large wooden table and within two weeks there were dings and scratches. Initially, she had been upset but it was part of having three boys to not sweat damaged furniture. The table she was currently seated at had nothing like that. It was in perfect condition. She wondered how it must be to live in such conditions. Stifling, she suspected.

Even the front of the Nairne residence had nothing in the way of family. It looked more like an lonely, old man lived there and never had any visitors. Large green yard, fountain, it was very beautiful but did not look like children played there.

Of course, she didn't have much experience in that. Only Bryce had a normal childhood as the other two matured far too quickly for her liking, but she remembered filling the yard with items for her eldest son. She loved running around with him when he was a child through water and playing with the toys. She always had them left out as she would return the next day to play.

This entire home felt void of love and it made her uncomfortable. She would have rather seen a messy house than one such as this.

The door opened and a red head boy entered. She had met him upon occasion and smiled as he came to sit at the table.

"Hello, Russell." She watched him fold his hands on his lap and noticed he had never touched the table.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Swithin. Mom said to keep you company." He told her with little enthusiasm.

"She really didn't need to get Riane dressed up. This is very informal." She was speaking more to herself than the boy, who probably didn't want to be part of this boring exchanging anyway.

"Are you going to take my sister away?" Russell asked as several seconds of silence.

Nanette swallowed, "She is going to come live with me for a little bit. It will be up to her if she stays or not."

He seemed to think on these words for a moment, "Will she get to call me?" He watched her nod. "She was excited when she watched TV once, can she do that?"

"If she wants." She replied curious to this line of questioning.

He nodded her head slowly, "That's good. She never gets to have fun." He thought for another moment. "She loves garlic, pepperoni, and cookie dough... oh, and bread sticks. She hates salads. My dad makes us eat a lot of salad."

"No salads then." She smiled at the boy who was adorably trying to help his sister get adjusted before they had even discussed the matter.

"Her favorite color is violet. She said her mom picked it for her." He seemed to be racking his brains for more information. "She doesn't like crowds or groups with too many strangers."

"Like parties?"

He nodded his head, "They make her feel sick."

Nanette didn't fully understand what he meant by that, but she couldn't continue to conversation as Deidra and Riane entered the room.

Riane looked quite uncomfortable in a blue summer dress with yellow flowers, and a couple flower pins in her short hair.

She sat down across from Nanette and Deidra next to her step-daughter. Russell seemed to know it was his moment to leave and excused himself.

"Please to meet you, Riane." Nanette said when she noticed both women were nervous.

Riane cleared her throat, "Yes, I have heard a bit about you, Mrs. Swithin."

"All bad since it is coming from Julian." She giggled as did Deidra, but Riane remained straight faced. Nervously, Nanette mimicked her and cleared her throat. "I assume you are aware of why I am here?"

She nodded her head.

Deidra seemed to take a backseat on this conversation, and kept quiet as if she was letting Riane be an adult and speak for herself.

"The reason I asked after you is because Julian doesn't like women. He resents them, and I can not determine why. However, he has befriended you..." She lifted her hand to silence Riane when she was about to speak. "I know he believes you are male, but that allowed him to become your friend. When he finds out, I am certain he will be angry, but the one thing about Julian is his temper burns very hot but very quickly. Also, you will have Bryce, my husband, and me at your side."

Riane kept her eyes looking toward the table. "He is my friend, and I don't want to lose the friendship I have created at school. If I do and Dalen and Seth go to his side, then I will be friendless at school."

Deidra spoke up at this point, "Yes, that is why I think it would be best if you allowed Jolene to continue in her duties. Driving her to school and taking her out as she has always done. It will keep one friend in her life."

"Yes, of course." Nanette agreed immediately.

Riane didn't like that her concern had been ignored, and the band aid that Deidra applied was accepted without any further conversation.

"Great, that sounds responsible then." Deidra smiled at her step-daughter. "She is already packing her things. I hope you have space because she may not dress very feminine, but she certainly has a great deal of clothing. Mostly my fault as I can't help but buy cute things for her."

Nanette chuckled, "It will be nice to have a girl around that I can take shopping and not have to hear how boring this is. Do you know how quickly my sons pick out clothing? They don't even bother try them on, just toss them in the cart and within ten minutes we are done. It really is very disappointing."

Deidra smiled widely, "Russell is the same way."

Riane sat quickly as the two women discussed shopping, new items on the market, and make-up. She couldn't believe that was all there was to this conversation. Nanette telling her how things would be, and Deidra applying a small temporary fix to the issues.

She didn't even get the chance to tell her that she didn't have romantic feelings for Julian, and she highly doubted that would ever change. He was more of an annoying, know-it-all brother and her feelings for Blake still existed despite all the set-backs. Part of her still hoped something might happen to between them.

Between this not being anywhere near a choice she had made, and knowing that Julian would lose his temper over this, she felt as if the world around her was crushing her. If this didn't work out then her father would be furious, and she did not know what he might do next. He obviously wanted her out of the house, and that meant throwing her at any one who would take her.

Nanette noticed Riane sitting quietly and realized why she was suppose to be there. "So, um, Riane. The reason we are doing this to Julian is he doesn't keep long term relationships. You are able to end the relationship and leave whenever you like, but he can never break up with you or cheat on you. If he does, he loses all his inheritance. Pretend that this isn't a real engagement until you both want it to be one, alright?"

That didn't make her feel any better, but she nodded her head and then looked to Deidra. "May I be excused?"

Deidra allowed her and watched as she left the room. "Change is terrifying for her, so please be patient while she is in your care."

"Of course." Nanette sighed. "I am certain this will be a painful transition for all involved, especially Julian."

---***---

Riane sat in the passenger's seat as she looked out at Blake and Adonia who were waiting for her by the fence. Joe sat silently beside her as she waited for her friend to gain the courage to leave the car as she would have to face Julian soon enough.

"Might be the time to get back into your friendship with them." Joe finally said referring to Blake and Adonia.

She slowly shook her head, "They would eventually find out about Julian, and realize that I befriended them again so I could have any type of friendship at all." She inhaled deeply, before turning to face Joe. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck. You know that Dalen will be on your side. I already spoke to him on the phone yesterday, and he is prepared if you need his help." She reached out her hand and squeezed her friend's fingers.

"It's not his fight. He doesn't need to lose his friend over this." She told her before opening the car door and stepping out.

Blake and Adonia had been staring at the car for several moments and had become curious of how long it had taken her to exit the vehicle. They approached the gate as she did and as they did every morning since she had told them the truth. Riane was not in the mood for the childlike way they would speak to her as she had more important things on her mind.

"Hey." Adonia said in a way that sounded condescending. "How are you feeling?"

Riane glared at her. "I do not have time for this." She wanted to push passed them, but Blake stepped in the way.

"How long is this going to go on for, Riane? I have apologized and given you space to roam around with those losers. Let's just forget it all and go back to being friends." There was a demanding tone in his voice, but also a plea.

"First of all, I can't just forget, and second of all, I have more important issues to deal with right now. Excuse me." She tried to step around him, but he positioned himself in her way.

"What is more important than our friendship?"

Riane sighed, "How about the fact that I have been put into an arranged marriage with someone that still thinks I am male, and I have to go tell him the truth before he finds out about me from someone else? Is that good enough for you, Blake? Do you give me permission to go now, Dad?"

Blake swallowed unsure of what to say to her, and allowed her to pass around him without saying anything else. Adonia stared in shock as well and did not try to stop her.

As she made her way towards the gym, a familiar voice called out to her and she turned to find Bryce jogging up to her passed the small crowd.

"Hey, how are you?" He asked with a partial smile on his lips. "Look my mom told me that you agreed to the engagement. It was rather shocking."

"I wouldn't say I agreed. I brought up concerns, they were swept under the rug and I was ignored completely while they talked about shopping." Riane told him. She wasn't certain why she trusted him, but he seemed to have concern for her.

Bryce rolled his eyes as he nodded his head making himself look rather ridiculous. "Of course. What Nanette wants, Nanette gets and damn anyone else in her way." He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "Look, Julian still doesn't know that you are his fiancee, and I do not know how he will react when he finds out."

"Trust me, I know. I have been thinking about how to tell him the truth since I found out about the engagement. Nothing I can think of has a good ending, so I was just going to go over there and rip the bandaid off. Clean and as painless as possible." Riane disliked the amount of people walking around them and she was afraid that someone might overhear and tell Julian before she could. Although, she knew that Julian had no friends other than Seth and Dalen.

"I don't know if that is such a great idea." Bryce spoke with worry in his voice. "He should probably be told at home where my father is nearby and can deal with him. Here, he might freak out and I don't know what that hot head could do."

Riane groaned, "Don't tell me not to do this. I have been working up my courage all morning."

"I am not telling you what to do. I am just saying that maybe he should find out on Saturday when my dad is around. I know it will seem like you kept it from him, but I think the damage is already done. There is nothing worse than finding out you are female." Bryce gently touched her elbow and lead her away from the group as he spoke. When they were standing near some trees, he stopped and turned back to her. "He acts better around the family then when he has to preform for his friends, but it will be your decision. If you are going to tell him, then let me come with you as a buffer."

"Why the concern?" She didn't understand why he seemed to be so involved in all of this, though she was touched by the gesture.

"He's my brother and I love him for starters, and you are an innocent party in my parents manipulation of him. As a big brother to him and maybe you someday, I owe you both what little protection I can provide." His voice held his discomfort with the entire situation but a small smile played at the corner of his lips.

Riane took a deep breath as she thought about what he had just said, "I do not know if I am capable of lying at this level. I mean letting people think I am male is easy, it's their own assumption, but actively withholding information just seems cruel."

"It's withholding information either way. You are just used to hiding this or that." Bryce corrected. "If need be, I can talk to my mom and get her to arrange a meet and greet earlier this week."

Riane pressed her lips together unsure. Not telling him now would certainly be a relief, but the need to tell him would eventually come on a Saturday. However, any excuse to hold back the inevitable seemed like a logical one.

"You can always change your mind." Bryce continued to convince her.

"Fine. I'll wait off for now." She regretted giving into her fear the moment she did it, but the relief quickly resolved any shame she felt.

He smiled, "Great. Let's exchange numbers. If you want to talk about it or if you are worried about something, then send me a text and we can chat." He told her as they exchanged phones and put their information into each other's phones.

"Say cheese." Riane said when she got her phone back, "It's for the photo that comes up when you call or text."

Bryce chuckled and smiled for the photo then did the same for her. "Alright. Don't hesitate and don't think you are bothering me. I have an eleven year old helping me with my college courses, anything to help take a moment away from that embarrassment."

Riane chuckled.

"What the hell, Ryan?" Seth's voice could be heard from the busy sidewalk.

Bryce looked over her shoulder as she turned to face him. She didn't know what to say about having been caught talking to Bryce.

Julian soon appeared next to his friend and they both walked over to them. There was a glare in Julian's eyes directed toward his brother.

"What are you doing with him?" Julian asked Riane. "This guy is a fucking asshole, who lies to his brother until it's too fucking late for his brother to do anything about it."

Bryce smirked and shook his head, "I was asking him to keep an eye out on you. That you are really upset and to let me know if you lose your fucking mind."

Julian snorted, "Come on, guys. Fuck him." He spit near his brother's feet.

The three walked away and Riane looked over her shoulder briefly at Bryce, who gave her a small wave before the three disappeared around a building.

Bryce continued to smirk as he thought of his brother's situation. He knew it wasn't right to tell Riane to continue to lie, but he did not want her to do this alone. It would be better with Julian's family around; those not afraid of putting him in his place.

---***---

Riane approached the gym as she was going to check in with the guys before heading to her class. Part of her feared that Dalen had already explained everything to her friend, but she knew he wouldn't share her secrets; not just for her but because it would upset Joe as well.

Turning the corner, Julian sat on the ground with a cigarette in one hand and his cellphone in the other. He was alone and smiling gently at the screen.

"What are you looking at?" Riane asked as she approached to sit next to him.

Julian cleared his throat and put his phone down on his jean covered legs. "Nothing." He snapped and took a hit off his cigarette.

"Was it a girl? It was a girl, huh?" Riane teased.

He turned his head to look at her, and showed her a picture of Adonia and himself standing side by side. They were both smiling and Julian had his hand over her shoulder. "She used to not be completely disgusted by me." He explained before putting the phone back down.

"What happened?"

Julian shrugged his shoulders but gave an answer anyway. "I started to treat her like I do any other girl in order to get her. Turns out she didn't like that."

"Can't really buy off a girl with her own money." She leaned against the wall and looked around for the other two. "Where is Seth and Dalen?"

Again, he shrugged his shoulders, "Probably too fucking afraid to come here after I lost my temper last night. We went over to Dalen's and I broke a TV." He cleared his throat. "He's probably still pissed off. It's just a damn television, I'll replace it. Fucking baby."

Riane thought that this might be the only time she could still be honest with him. If she let just one day go then she would be too afraid of to tell him. It wouldn't look right if he found out on the day she was to move in. Even though Bryce said to trust him; she wanted to be trusted by Julian more.

"All I know is who ever this bitch is; I am going to make her life fucking hell. I can't break up with her or cheat on her, but they never said I had to make her like me." Julian told her with a morbid grin on his lips.

"Really? It isn't her fault." Riane leaned forward and brought her furrowed her brow as she thought about what Julian might do once he knew it was her.

"Yet, she agreed to all of this so part of it is." Pinching the lit portion of his cigarette, Julian let the red cherry fall to the ground before bringing his foot over to stomp it out. He tossed the rest of it out onto the grass and spit.

"What if she had no say in the matter? Just like you." Riane watched several facial expressions come and go from his face. Angry, worry, perhaps even pity.

"It doesn't matter. She has the right at any time to leave, and I don't. That makes us on an uneven playing field. That isn't how this shit works, and I am not going to let my parent's dictate this sort of shit to me." He stood up but continued to lean against the wall.

Riane followed him up. "She might be too afraid to leave for what might happen at home if she did." She knew she might be showing her hand at that moment, but she felt confident enough that Julian was too self-absorbed to apply anything she said to herself.

He snorted, "Yeah, right."

"What? Do you think every girl is just waiting in line to be with you? That everyone thinks you are so wonderful that they just have to have you?" Riane chuckled but she was being dead serious. She didn't want him to think when she final relieved herself that all along she had wanted him. That there friendship had been some sort of game to get close to him.

"Oh, please, all the girls talk about how good I am!" Making a V with his index finger and middle finger he flapped his tongue in between them.

She was gobsmacked by the gesture. "You think women pick men based on how good they are in bed? Do you also think all they want is a big dick?"

"Please, they are flesh and bone just like us. Society just tells them to hide it. I've never had a girl not be interested. So don't hand me that sugar and spice bullshit." Julian yawned. "Anyway, I am fucking sick of hearing you trying to defend this bitch. Go to class."

"Don't boss me around." She snapped.

He turned to stare at her, "Ryan, if you don't get out of my face; I swear I will punch you in yours."

Riane was offended enough and stormed away. He was so incredibly hurtful even if he didn't know that he was talking about her to her, still it was a horrible thought to go live somewhere where one person would want to make her so miserable.

Any thought of telling him the truth was soon replaced with the idea of vengeance as she walked away. If he wanted to play a game with her, then she would be ready to play it right back. She didn't think she could be mean in the way that he could, but she thought of what could be done as she walked to her classroom.

She would simply have to kill him with kindness and understanding; as boring as that sounded. She did not want to marry Julian, but if she returned home to her father she knew he would find something worse for her. She had thought long about this and decided once she finished college, she would no longer need her father's money and connections. She could make it in this world without him or so she hoped.

She needed Julian's family to accept her long enough to get her four year degree; which meant three and a half years of living with them. If she could somehow convince Julian that this was good for both of them, then it would be easy sailing. She couldn't think exactly how to get him to believe her, but she knew the answers would be in his home with his family. They would know how to get to him better than she could.

"Shit." She mumbled the word under her breath and it surprised her that she had even spoken it when she saw Blake standing outside her classroom door. Gathering her courage, she walked over to him. "What are you doing here?"

"Were you serious? Is your father actually going to make you marry Julian Swithin?" He asked with worry in his voice.

"He is making me move in to the Swithin home and begin courting each other, yes." She didn't know any other way of saying it.

Blake stood staring at her blankly for a couple moments. "He is an asshole. Do you know how he treats women? We can't let that happen."

"We have nothing to do with it, Blake. I have no choice. If I don't go, my father will become angry and if I know him well enough he will become petty and vengeful. He might pick something worse a second time around. I have to do this." She tried to walk passed him, but he moved in her way.

"What about me?" He asked with concern. "What if we offered me up as the fiance? You can move in with me until you finish college, and then you can go on from there. You aren't taking over the business and marrying you off to a Swithin is not a business arrangement. So, what do you think?"

"I think that Adonia would be very upset with that idea, and I wouldn't like to confusion of the heart that would come with fake labels and relationships." Riane told him bluntly. "I am going to have to decline."

"Think about it anyway. I know Adonia will be alright with the idea. She is a kind girl who wouldn't..."

"Blake, just stop. I already told you how I felt about you, and this wouldn't help me. So, please, leave me alone." She stepped to the side again and this time he didn't get in her way.

As she sat down amongst the rows of desk, she realized that what Blake had just offered her was very same to what she had planned to offer Julian. However, Julian wasn't in love with her so it might be an easier set up. She didn't know what to think or do anymore. She wasn't the kind of person that manipulated people or used them for her own needs. Julian was, however, and he might come to the conclusion all on his own in time. She hoped.

---***---

Her wish for a long week was answered with one of the shortest weeks of her life. Everyday was filled with holding back information from two of her friends. She felt like she was in one of the worst spy novels ever written. "Surprise, I am your fiancee!" would be the title she decided. It would definitely be written for younger teens and be sold at school book drives.

Julian had gone from accepting what was about to happen then throwing a fit again. Some times he would talk about whether or not he could figure a way to sleep with the girl without her getting emotionally attached. Then he would plan on making her emotionally attached and convincing her to end their relationship so he didn't feel forced to stay, and promising her that he would ask for her back afterward. His schemes became more desperate every single day. There would be no way to know how he would react.

Dalen spent his time trying to convince his friend that it might not be all that bad, while Seth continued to add fuel to the fire. Riane suspected that this conflict in his friends was the root of Julian's mood swings.

Bryce found her every morning to ask her if she planned on continuing to lie to his brother, and every morning he thanked her when she said she would. At times, she felt like Bryce might be playing a cruel joke on his brother by asking her to lie, but she couldn't imagine him being that vindictive. He seemed genuinely concerned.

Blake and Adonia seemed to respect Riane's need for space as they stopped coming to the gate every morning. Though, Riane wondered if her second attempt at explaining her feelings to him had spooked him enough to end their friendship.

Friday was upon her and she knew tomorrow all of this would be over, and the new beginning would start. She had decided not to go to her classes that day and instead spend one last day as Julian's friend. She had told Dalen of her decision and he promised that he would drop by from time to time that day to ensure everything was going well. He and Seth both had testing that day.

Julian sat quietly behind the gym as he ate the burger that he had gotten from the cafeteria. Riane had gotten the same, but Julian had put jalapenos on his and laughed when she had turned up her nose at the idea.

They were both silent as they ate their meal. Julian had talked non-stop about his issue all week long, but today he was quiet... too quiet. The anger had not gotten him his way and he seemed to rattling his mind over the issue instead of randomly spewing anything out for anyone to hear.

"My fries are soggy." Riane told him and watched his push his tray of fries over towards her as he chewed his burger and contemplated further. His fries were just as soggy but the gesture was both nice and odd for him. "Are you alright? You have been quiet all day."

He seemed to come back to him as he finished chewing the food in his mouth. "I am trying to figure out why my parents won't tell me who she is. It has to be someone I know and I will loath having around my home, but even then why keep it a secret?"

Riane wished she hadn't asked, so she simply shrugged her shoulders.

He sighed, "It doesn't matter. My mom won and that girl is moving in tomorrow. Do you know she repainted the bedroom from pink to fucking purple. What the hell is that? I bet she asked the girl and the demanding bitch didn't care about my mom's efforts and made her repaint it."

"That's a lot to assume based off of a repaint." Riane dipped her fries into the ketchup and stuffed her mouth to have an excuse to no longer talk about this topic.

Julian sighed audibly and tossed his burger onto the plate. The top bun fell to the side exposing the content of lettuce and tomato underneath. "My brother knows who it is though. He hasn't told me outright, but when I ask him if he knows, he goes all smug, and says, 'You'll see.' Which he always says when he is keeping secrets."

Riane didn't respond and continued eating as guilty filled her heart and she realized that she probably should have just told him the truth. At least, they could have spent this week being honest with each other and he would have been prepared for her tomorrow. What she had done instead was be selfish.

She had wanted to keep the new group of friends she had for just one week more. She wanted to be Ryan to them for just a couple more moments, and she wanted to be part of their daily texting study groups. She didn't want to lose the new friends she had found because they didn't coddle her or make her feel like a child. Instead, she had found people who respected her, helped her, and who just let her be herself for a change.

"I'm sorry." Riane final spoke softly. She really meant about her part in this, but she knew that Julian wouldn't understand it that way.

"Not your fault." He sighed again. "I should have got pizza." He mumbled as he gathered his burger together. "Tonight is the last night that I will be free. We should go out and have some fun."

"I can't. My dad is in town." Riane wasn't lying about that, but she also had to finish packing up her things. Some of which had already been sent to Julian's home and she had been afraid he would look through them and find something personal to her. Some part of her hoped that he would.

"That sucks. Well, we will texted you pictures of us having fun while you study." He chuckled. "Damn, I hope she is pretty to look at and not some troll."

Riane swallowed and began to eat again. Everything that he had wanted in a fiancee was not her in the least. She resigned herself that once he calmed down she would explain why she had not fought this and that all she asked was for the rest of college for him to pretend to be her fiance. Eventually, when things calmed down he could go out and find girls to mess around with just like he used to. All she needed was a cover for a few years, and she thought if he perhaps understood that then he wouldn't be so upset about the arrangement.

"I wonder why Dalen and Seth didn't join us for lunch." Riane said out loud as she hoped it would change the subject.

"Probably afraid that I am going to be ranting all day." He mumbled sadly and leaned against the wall of the gym.

"It is a pretty big change in your life. They should be here to support you." She felt somewhat bad for him, as this was a known change for her but there was so much mystery left in it for him. "You never know it could be someone you like showing up tomorrow."

"I don't like any girls, and I highly doubt it will be Adonia." He pulled out a cigarette and lit it before sighing once more. "I have been fucking defeated. They used the one thing I can't out think them on to get me to surrender to the mighty overlords."

"Don't worry with your personality, she'll be gone before you know it." She knew that was a cruel thing to say despite just wanting to cheer him up.

"Thanks." He seemed to be full of sighs and nothing else as he took another hit from his cigarette. "Thanks for hanging out with me today too."

"My pleasure." And curse, she thought. This would be her last day as Ryan. By tomorrow everyone would know there never was a Ryan and just simply Riane. Tomorrow would be one of the most terrifying days of her life.

She watched him pick up his phone and send out a text message. He was probably asking the other two to hang out with him tonight as a bachelor party of sorts. He didn't have any more fight in him today and it was almost pathetic to see. She knew by tomorrow though, when he saw her face that all that anger and passion would return.

She feared what would manifest as soon as that first meeting happened and she knew there would be retaliation during school. On Monday there would be no friends and no one to eat lunch with, and only a cycle of loneliness.

A message was returned and he gave a halfhearted smile before looking over at her. "Too bad you can't come. We are going to a strip club and I bet you've never been before."

"You would be right." She was now thankful that her father was in town for once. "You guys have enough fun for me."

"That won't be a problem."

---***---

Riane sat in the car next to Joe as she stared down the road at the horrifying journey ahead. The rest of her items had been loaded up, though she left behind all her beloved furniture because she was told she would not need it. She had been upset to hear that Nanette bought her new items because she had spent years carefully decorating her bedroom.

She had no idea what to wear that morning and though Deidra had laid out some rather feminine clothes for her; Riane decided she would be uncomfortable enough. She opted for a baggy shirt and pants as she normally wore.

"You have been quiet all morning?" Joe spoke to her softly as she made a turn.

She inhaled deeply, "I am preparing myself for the worst. Julian is not going to be pleased and I am afraid of how he will react."

"You never know. He could be pleasantly surprised because at least it is a friend." Joe knew that would never happen but she also didn't want Riane to have a panic attack.

Riane ignored her comment, "I can't believe my dad didn't even say goodbye to me. He didn't even look at me."

The car fell silent once more. Deidra had driven off ahead to Nanette's to help unpack everything that morning. They had both seemed rather excited on the phone, and knowing that she had at least one ally in that house was comforting.

She didn't know where she stood with Bryce and had never met Zachary, who she had heard many stories about over the few weeks she had been friends with his brother.

Her phone was a mess of text messages. Dalen asking if everything was alright followed by worried texts from Blake. She got somewhat good news when Julian told her that he was over at Dalen's house and refused to meet his fiancee on her terms. He would get there when he wanted to get there.

"Julian says he isn't there. He is at Dalen's." Riane closed her eyes and thanked the universe for this one small favor.

Joe sat quietly for a moment to gather her thoughts, "It helps neither of you to push this off. You should have told him on Monday. Now, he will feel more betrayed when he sees you."

She was tired of having this conversation with her friend as it had been occurring all week. "Joe, it is over and done with. This conversation has no bearing on what is happening now."

Another quiet moment passed as they pulled through the large gate of the estate. Deidra and Nanette had been alerted by Riane that they were pulling up which made them hurry outside to greet her.

Riane stepped out of the car as Joe went to grab the last of her luggage from the trunk. Deidra gave her a hug and a smile. "We have been decorating your room."

"Yes, I am so glad I picked violet as the color. It matches your decorations well." Nanette told her. "Come inside. Everyone is waiting to meet you."

The entry way was a small hall; very different from the grand foyer of her own home. This place was built on a lot of land but it was no mansion. It not that it wasn't a large house but it certainly felt more like a home than her own.

"Kitchen is over here and the dining room is here. This is the main living room." Nanette told her and they entered inside. "The boys use it mostly for watching TV and playing video games."

As Riane entered the room, Bryce, a small boy, and a man she thought must be Mister Swithin stood up from the couch.

"This is my husband, Colin and my youngest, Zack. Of course, you know Bryce." Nanette introduced them with a large smile on her face. She was almost as excited as Deidra who held onto Riane's arm.

"This is Riane." Deidra introduced her.

Colin stepped forward and offered out his hand. When she shook it; he placed his hand over her own and held it gently. "Welcome to our home. If there is anything you need do not hesitate to ask."

She nodded her head slowly. "Thank you."

Zachary stepped forward and looked her up and down. "Julian is going to be really upset when he sees you."

"Zack!" Nanette snapped.

"What? She looks like a boy. He doesn't like that. He is going to be pissed off!" Zachary snapped back at his mom before looking at her again. "Couldn't try a little harder, could you?" He said out loud before whispering to her. "You won't last a week."

"Zack!" Colin barked and this time Zachary walked out of the room into the hallway and up the stairs.

Bryce stood smiling, "Don't worry about him. Julian easily manipulates him into joining his side and doing his bidding. Give him a candy bar and he'll be your best friend within hours. Smartest person in the house and most easy to bribe."

Riane chuckled at his comment which eased the tension in the room for everyone.

Nanette stepped forward and took Riane's hand. "Come, let me show you to your room. I really hope you like it."

Yanking her up the stairs, Riane followed quickly behind her and watched her fling open the door to a very violet bedroom. The furniture was white like her other room though the bedroom itself was half the size. She had a desk near the window to the backyard and a bed in the center of the room. The carpet was also white with a couple matching violet rugs thrown about. She had a television in her bedroom pointed at the end of her bed and a vanity next to that.

"So? The verdict?" Nanette asked with excitement as Deidra came up behind her.

"It's lovely." She partly lied as she was shocked by the amount of violet. However, she wasn't going to be rude towards her attempt at making her feel comfortable.

"We put all your clothing away, and put out all your knick knacks. Bryce made sure all the electronics are working. You should be able to log into the wifi on your laptop, and I left the password on your desk for your phone." Nanette looked over at Deidra. "I feel I am overwhelming her."

"I am fine." Riane told her gently.

"I am sorry that Julian is not here. He left last night and hasn't come back, but I am sure he will return soon. He is usually pouting at Dalen's house." She tried to laugh it off, but the bitterness was still clear.

"Yeah, he and the guys went out last night to a strip club. He said he was over there and would show up on his own terms." Riane informed her.

A smile crossed Nanette's lips, "You know more about my son than I do already. This is going to be perfect."

Deidra could see the unhappiness in her step-daughter's face, and part of her wanted to yank her out of this house because her friend could know it was her. However, she knew nothing good would be waiting for her at home.

Stepping up, Deidra hugged her tightly. "I have to head back home. Call me if you need anything, and I will make sure Russell calls you every night if not video chats with you. Alright? Will you be ok if I go?"

Riane nodded her head, "Joe is here. I'll be fine. Go home."

As she turned to leave a figure stood in the doorway. Julian looked between Deidra, his mother, and Riane with his mouth slightly open. His hands were holding him up in the door frame and his body seemed to have lost its ability to hold him up.

After a few seconds of shock, he looked over to his mother. "Mom, you know I am not gay, right?"

Chapter 4: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=370

Comments for Chapter 3: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=427