Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(CH2) Chapter 4: Ignore Him

Joe had been invited to sit at the dinner table with the family which had never happened to her at the Nairne household her entire life. In fact, they had given her access to their guest house so she wouldn't have to drive from her apartment to the house yesterday in the morning. She had decided to hold on to it until she saw if Riane would stay or not.

Riane sat at the table across from Julian who had finally figured out what was really going on. He had been glaring at her the entire evening though he had not freaked out or started shouting as everyone had expected of him. Nanette and Colin sat on her side with Joe and all three boys on the other side of the table.

“Jolene, do you attend CHU?” Colin asked as he cut into his rare ribeye steak.

She shook her head, “No, I go to community college. I get good grades but not enough to get a free ride at any big name school.”

“So, you have to drive to pick up Riane, then drive her to school, drive yourself to school, then pick her up, drop her off, and drive back home everyday?” Nanette said with shock in her voice.

Riane felt something kick her leg and she looked across the table to Julian. He mouthed the words, 'I am going to kill you,' before shoving a whole Brussels sprout in his mouth.

“I do. It is no big deal. It's part of the job when you work and go to school.” She told them with a grin but could see that her friend on the other side of the table looked uncomfortable.

“Well, we'll see what we can do about that.” Colin said without inferring what he meant by those words.

Joe and Riane looked briefly at each other before continuing to eat their meal.

“What are you getting your degree in?” Nanette asked.

“Nursing.”

“Oh, that is so wonderful.” She said with genuine enthusiasm before she turned to Riane, “And you?”

“Business and Management.” Riane explained with her eyes looking down at her plate as she was afraid to make eye contact with Julian again, even though he had kicked her several more times.

“She was accepted into Juliard, but her father thought music was a wasteful career.” Joe told them as part of her hoped they would be supportive, and they did not disappoint.

“You are a musician, Riane?” Colin said excitedly. “What do you play?”

“She can play anything. Just give her a day and she'll learn the basics. She is a genius like that.” Joe told them and watched them both look impressed.

Riane felt more embarrassed by her exposure and simply smiled meekly in return.

“Zack has been dying to learn to play piano, but he isn't exactly a patient learner when it comes to things he can't read and understand immediately. We have gone through a couple teachers. Would you mind giving it a try?” The mother asked.

“I could. Piano is my favorite.” Riane told her before looking over at Zachary, who opened his mouth to show her his chewed up meal and upon seeing it she was immediately kicked under the table again.

“That's so kind of you to try.” Nanette seemed to have forgotten the food in front of her as she was far more interested in the new women in the house.

“This is a wonderful meal, but it has been a big day. Would you mind terribly if I went to rest in my room for a bit? I still have an essay to write and I like to get those finished on Saturdays, so my Sunday can have a little room for fun.” Riane stood from the table before they could answer.

“Of course, dear.” Nanette watched her leave the room.

Riane could hear Joe speak as she made her way up the stairs, “This is a bit overwhelming for us both.”

Heading down the strange hallway, Riane noticed the door across from hers had a sign with Zachary's name on it. She sighed to know that he would be her neighbor during the night and decided to lock her door while she slept.

Stepping inside, she walked over to her desk and sat down in front of her laptop. She turned on and tried to find the essay she had been working on.

Without a knock, Julian flung open the door and slammed it shut behind him. “You have got to be fucking kidding me.” He hissed. “How long have you fucking known? Were you being buddy buddy with me all along for this? This is some real hardcore stalker shit, Riane.” He said her real name with venom as if he wanted to spit it from his mouth.

Riane stood from her desk and turned to him. “I found out last weekend. I was going to tell you on Monday, but your brother asked me to wait so I could have the protection of your family.” She decided that she had lied enough to him and that she would be completely honest from this moment onward.

Julian snorted, “My ass. If my dad wasn't home right now, I'd drag you by what little hair you have down those stairs and fling you out the front door.”

“In my defense, I never said I was a male, you just assumed and while I should have corrected you, I simply didn't care what you thought I was or not.” Riane noticed he hadn't mentioned her lying about that, but she had made up a speech in her mind and she wanted to follow it to the letter even if Julian wouldn't cooperate.

He stared at her with hatred, “Well then, that makes it all better. Let me buy you some roses and we can get down to fucking.”

She took a deep breath as she became nervous after he said those words in her bedroom alone, even though she knew he didn't really mean it. “I am not trying to make it better. I am explaining my choices to you. I have no interest in you, Julian. Well, I mean as a friend only. I am forced to be here otherwise my father would have found some place else for me, and it is better for this to be me then some strange girl with manipulation of your love and money on her mind. Isn't it?”

“That I know how to counter. You, you on the other hand, are the most deceitful, lowly cretin that I have ever encountered. Making me open up to you about my plans all week, so what? You know how to counter my every move?” He chuckled bitterly. “Damn you are fucking good, Rya... Riane. I am still going to make this hell for you, and you will be back home before the end of the week.”

She smiled kindly at him. “With all due respect to how utterly unpleasant you can be, my father is a hundred times worse. There is nothing that you can do that will make me go back home. I am already happier here in the last hour then I have ever been at home. So, do your worst, Julian. I am staying here as your fiancee until I graduate college. You can either be my collaborator or your can be my victim. Your choice.”

He seemed shocked by her words briefly before his hands rolled up into fists. “You forget that you will never get a break from me. I am at your school and in your home.”

“Not in my classes. I'll find time, and we both know that you need a couple hours behind the gym in order to smoke weed and get fat. So, I think I'll have plenty of rest.” Riane didn't know where any of these words came from anymore. It was like she was channeling her own inner Julian, but she refused to let him win this argument. She was wrong and she knew it, but the way he planned to retaliate was simply evil.

“So, I finally get to meet the real Riane.” Julian spat out his words. “It's good to know you were vile and manipulative all along. It'll make this easier for me.”

She swallowed and frowned, “Don't act like this, Julian. I have your father, mother, and Bryce on my side. I can make it very uncomfortable for you.”

He smirked, “No, you won't. The moment you start telling them, they will start feeling pity for you and then they will start believing this was a bad idea and send you home. Don't believe me, go ahead and see what happens the first time and you will learn to suffer in silence.” With that he grabbed the door handle and flung the door open before storming off towards his own bedroom.

---***---

The next day, Riane had awoken earlier than everyone else in the house as per her father's scheduled wake up times. She didn't know if it had been her mind playing tricks on her, but the first night in her new room had felt strange. She could have sworn someone had tried turning the doorknob at night, but she had locked it as planned.

When she awoke, she got on her computer and read over her essay to check it for any grammatical or spelling errors. It had been something that she had worked on during the week with Julian and she felt rather bad about using him for it. Not because he did any of the work, but because she knew he would never help her again. He had really helped her out a great deal.

As she sat there wondering if maybe a heartfelt apology might ease the transition, a knock came to the door and Nanette slowly opened it.

“Are you decent?” She asked when she looked at a fully dressed girl sitting behind her desk. Nanette was still wearing pajamas with little red hearts all over them and her hair was in a ponytail. “You are ready to go, aren't you? Watching videos on the internet or something?”

“No, I was correcting my paper and then I thought I'd read some news articles.” She told the woman after standing up as Nanette entered the room.

“Well, breakfast is ready. I hope you like fruit and waffles with cream.” She told her as the girl walked towards her and she placed her hand on her shoulder. When they walked out into the hall, Nanette locked the door behind her. “You live with three prankster boys. Never leave your room unlocked when you aren't in it.” She told her before handing her the key. “Also, be careful when you pass a bathroom with an open door. They aren't in the habit of shutting it when they use it.”

Riane chuckled as they walked down the stairs today and turned the corner to find everyone in their pajamas still as they sat down for breakfast.

“Don't you look ready to take on the world so early.” Colin told her while he wore a white t-shirt and beige pajama bottoms. His sons were all dressed similar except Bryce's bottoms were blue, Julian's were red, and Zachary had a superhero shirt on. Joe was not in the room, and Riane assumed she was having her own breakfast in the guest house.

“My father didn't approve of eating at the table without being fully dressed and bathed.” She informed them as she sat down next to Nanette.

“We take a more casual approach here.” He chuckled as a woman, with white hair in a bun, brought the food out for them on a tray.

Nanette looked over at her, “This is Lucille. She cooks breakfast during the weekdays and breakfast and lunch on the weekends. I try to make the other meals.”

“She means she cuts up lettuce and other veggies before throwing copious amounts of salad dressing on it.” Bryce teased his mother.

Lucille smirked as she set the plates in front of everyone, but said nothing.

“I am trying to be a better cook. You brat. What do you think I am doing every Wednesday and Friday in those damn classes.” Nanette played retorted to her son.

“I can help you.” Riane announced before any more playful banter could make its way into the conversation. “Deidra is actually a great cook, and she taught me a lot. I also took many cooking classes in high school because my dad said it would be an important skill for me.”

Nanette looked surprised, “I am beginning to think we added another genius into the house instead of a normie like us, Colin.”

Her husband chuckled, “It is beginning to seem that way.”

“It's nothing like that.” Riane tried to explain but was interrupted.

“She is just sucking up in hopes that you don't send her back home.” Julian stuffed his face with his strawberries and cream covered waffles. “She's nothing like she is trying to make you people see. She's a liar. Don't trust anything she says.”

Bryce, Nanette, and Colin were all prepared to jump to her defense.

“Shut up, Julian.” Riane glared at him across the table. “Go pout somewhere else. We are trying to enjoy each others' company.”

Nanette looked at her husband in shock and Colin seemed surprised and pleased with the way in which she handled herself. They thought she would be meek, but it seemed that she was comfortable enough with their son to put him in his place.

Julian frowned deeply before smacking Zachary on the shoulder, “Let's eat in the other room.” They both grabbed their plates and looked over at Bryce to see if he would follow.

“Don't look at me, children.” Bryce continued to eat his meal.

“Traitor.” Julian mumbled the word under his breath as he exited the room with his brother.

Both Nanette and Colin were surprised that Julian had actually retreated from her instead of continuing to argue. It wasn't characteristic of him to simply abandon a fight, and it made them curious why he would have done such a thing.

Riane was also insecure of why he had left the room and then an idea struck her. She looked over at the two parents. “He has plans to make me want to leave here. He is probably going to work on a strategy with Zack.”

It was like she had read their minds and they both smirked, before Nanette spoke. “Zack may seem like a mature adult, but he is really just a kid following around his big brother under all that knowledge. He will be easy enough to win over and then there will just be Julian. He doesn't do well fighting alone.”

Bryce added, “Yeah, he tried to recruit others which means those two idiots at school.”

“Dalen already knows everything, and Seth follows Dalen around like a puppy. I don't think it will be a united front.” Riane explained to them. “Besides, Julian isn't as tough as he likes to make himself out to be.”

Colin chuckled, “Maybe this was better than a good idea to bring you here. If you do well, I might have to make it a paying gig.” He said with humor in his voice.

“Colin, that sounds so wrong.” Nanette said with laughter.

Both Bryce and Riane finished their meals together, and he had her come with him into the living room where Julian and Zachary immediately left once she entered.

Sitting down on the couch, Bryce motioned for her to sit down next to him as he picked up the controller to his gaming system and handed her another.

“I've never played video games before.” She told him and watched a smile form on his lips.

“Don't worry, we'll take it easy until you get the hang of it.” He waited for the loading screen to finish and pressed pause before turning to her. “Mom wants to take you shopping. If she tries to make you wear something you don't like just tell her that you are feeling uncomfortable. Alright?”

“Alright.” She cleared her throat uneasy when Bryce adjusted his position on the couch which made their thighs touch. She didn't know if it would be considered rude to scoot away from the touch and simply continued to sit in that position.

“Oh, and Julian really hates when people play with what he thinks belongs to him, even if he doesn't like it or them.” Bryce whispered under his breath and gave her a wink.

That sentence confused her and she wondered if the touch was something he purposely made happen. He began to explain the controls and even wrapped his arm around her shoulder to show her how to work it.

When Julian passed by the room about thirty minutes later, he paused at the door and walked by only to turn around and enter in.

Bryce and Riane were playing sitting close together, they were laughing, and enjoying each others.

“Oh, did you see that? I made him explode.” Bryce bragged as Julian sat down on the couch across from him.

“I did. That was...” She stopped when she noticed the man across the room.

“It's nothing special. It happens all the time in this game.” Julian hissed at his brother. “What are you two doing so close together?”

“Ignore him.” Bryce told her and they both continued to play while Julian sat quietly across the room from them. His mind full of emotions and thoughts of vengeance.

---***---

As Bryce promised, Riane found herself shopping with Nanette before the day was over. The mother had convinced her to join her in a manicure and pedicure, which Riane had actually found enjoyable even though she did not get her nails painted.

She knew that Bryce had told her that his mother was pushy, but she was too afraid to say no to the woman whenever she liked something that Riane tried on. Even though Riane knew she would put it in her closest and never wear it.

Nanette had commented on the fact that Riane wore very tight sports bras and not a traditional bra which ended with her getting measured at a lingerie store. She had always worn baggy shirts and an undershirt in an effort to hide her sports bra and had never worn anything else.

The older woman had insisted that Riane wear a dress with her, and they both had their hair simply styled. Riane couldn't deny that she enjoyed the way that her shorter hair had been spiked, and had learned how to do it herself. It gave a more feminine look without having to have longer hair.

When they were done shopping, they stopped at a small sushi restaurant in the mall and ordered a few rolls. Riane was not a fan of fish or seafood in general, but she had been afraid to say anything. Luckily, one of the rolls had cooked prawns and she hoped she could stomach it.

The restaurant had some fake bamboo dividers between the booths and pop music played softly in the background. Riane had been to sushi restaurants before but they had always been somewhat higher class than this one. It had been strange to even be in a mall.

“What a fun day.” Nanette said as she took a sip of her saki. “I hoped you enjoyed it as much as I did. I am glad that I got to know you a little more.”

Riane knew she hadn't gotten to know her at all, and had just felt pushed around all day but she didn't want to hurt the woman's feelings. “Me too.”

“Joe tells me that you haven't learned to drive yet.” Nanette noticed that uncomfortable look that Riane had been giving her all day. She didn't know if she was helping the girl or making things worse, but every time she insisted Riane would do as she was asked. Even when Nanette asked if she was alright with it, Riane simply went along and said she was fine. It was a stark contrast to the girl she had seen at lunch.

“No, I don't much like the idea of it.” She cleared her throat as the miso soup was placed in front of them by their server.

“I love the miso soup here. A lot of restaurants will only put a little bit of vegetables and tofu in it, but they give you a bunch here.” She began to eat it with the provided spoon.

Riane had always ordered teriyaki chicken at these restaurants and never adventured much outside her comfort zone. Nanette had told her how great the things she liked were, and without consulting her had placed the order for them to share. Sipping the soup, it was somewhat salty but not bad so she continued to eat it.

Nanette had noticed that as the day went on Riane had gotten quieter, and she wondered if she was making her unhappy or if she was just tired. Deidra had told her that she didn't get out much and she wondered if she had overwhelmed her.

They quietly ate the miso soup and then set the bowls at the edge of the table when they were empty. Nanette struggled to find a topic of conversation and now wished she had brought one of her children along. She had thought to bring Julian to help the two bond, but she knew he would have wandered off and left them alone within minutes of arriving.

“Riane, hey.” A soft feminine voice spoke as she approached the table.

A streak of fear came over her and she turned to find Adonia with her two friends behind her. “Hello.”

“I love your hair today.” She said with a soft smile, “I just saw you through the window as I was passing by and thought that it had to be you. How are you doing? I heard about your big weekend through the grapevine.”

Nanette looked between the two and decided to introduce herself since it seemed that Riane would not. “I am Nanette Swithin. Hopefully, Riane's mother-in-law one day.” She offered out her hand.

“Wonderful to meet you, Mrs. Swithin. I am Adonia Fulke. Riane and I are friends.” She shook the woman's hand. “These are my other friends, Parker and Kalei.”

The two girls waved their hands briefly at her.

“Would you like to join us?” She offered the seat next to her.

Adonia had wanted to but she could see that she was not welcomed by Riane, who was trying her best not to glare that woman away. “I would love to, but we just ate and we were heading home.” She turned to Riane, “You look really nice in that dress. I'll see you at school tomorrow.”

“See ya.” Riane mumbled as the two of them walked away.

Nanette waited for the girls to leave and then turned to Riane with near hope that she might have found a topic of discussion. “Do I sense hostility?”

Riane perked up a little bit and a soft smile appeared on her lips. “She is dating my best friend since middle school.”

“And you like him?” Nanette grinned gently when she saw her nod. “She seems nice.”

“She is. The problem is that he always treated me like a boy, and he lied and went behind my back. He was dating her without letting me know and going to parties to see her when he told me that he wasn't going.” She explained just as the sushi rolls came out and were placed on the table.

Nanette poured the soy sauce in a small dish and waiting for the waitress to leave before speaking on the topic further. “I can see why you would be upset.”

Riane nodded, “She is also the girl that Julian likes.”

She fell silent for a moment before clearing her throat. “I didn't know that Julian liked anyone. If I had known that I might not of...” She trailed off.

“He has no chance with her. Every time they meet she ignores him and he acts like an asshole. If she likes Blake there is no way she will ever like Julian. They are too different.” Riane explained as she tried a piece of sushi.

Nanette knew that Riane hadn't meant to say it the way she did, but she had all but admitted that there was no way that Riane would ever care for Julian in a romantic way. She began to eat her meal quietly as she thought over her decision to move this girl into her home.

“I know it is too early to say, but do you think you could ever be happy with Julian?” She finally asked.

Riane swallowed down her food, “I don't know yet.”

She didn't want to tell the woman no and have her send her home. She had plans to graduate without her father hovering over her constantly controlling her every move. However, she knew saying yes would give hope where there was none, and she didn't want to do that to this woman.

“Of course.” She put a piece of sushi in her mouth. “Delicious. Try the spicy tuna.”

Riane did as she was asked and found that though raw it was edible, and continued to eat her way through the meal. “Right now, it is Julian who is making it difficult. He has every intention on making things as difficult for me as possible.” She knew that Julian had told her that his parents would feel guilty and send her back, but she decided to try another tactic. She wanted to get them on her side so when she looked miserable they would punish him instead of feeling sorry for her. “In truth, I am happy to be in your home even after only one day. It is much better and I like your family a lot.”

Nanette smiled, “Thank you, and do not worry about Julian. He'll figure out that he needs to play nice or he'll learn what hell truly is.”

Riane returned the smile, “Thank you.”

“Let me know if he does anything to you at all. Even the smallest thing, I want to know about it immediately.” Nanette grabbed a piece of sushi with her fingers and shoved it into her mouth. She was eating like she was annoyed.

“I will. Thank you, Mrs. Swithin.”

“Nanette, please call me that.”

It was a cruel trick and Riane felt bad trying to get the woman on her side, but she hoped that one day she might be able to explain herself and that Nanette would understand.

---***---

Joe pulled up the car to the estate to find Dalen standing outside the door. She knew the guard had probably called ahead like he had last time they were here.

Parking the car, she stepped out and smiled at the man who she had plans with today. However, the look on his face suggested that their plans would not be as they hoped.

Dalen approached the car and opened the door for her and shut it when she was completely out. “So, Seth and Julian showed up right before you. Julian is freaking out about Riane, and Seth is following his lead.”

Joe sighed audibly, “Yeah, he wasn't in that great of mood last night, but he seemed to hold himself together.”

“Where is Riane? I thought you might bring her.” He knew he hadn't seen her in the car, but looked through the window one more time.

“She is out with Mrs. Swithin. She has texted me a few times. Apparently it involves dresses and make-up. I am certain she is having a horrible time and she is too afraid to tell her that this distresses her.” Joe looked toward the door. “Well, come on. Maybe, I can get him to talk to me a bit and we can salvage the day.”

“Or... we could hop in your car and drive off without saying a word to them.” He winked with a sly smile on his lips.

“Oh? Are you the kind of guy that runs when things get difficult?” She crossed her arms.

The adorably confident look on his face was quickly replaced with panic. “No! I was just joking. I didn't...” He stopped himself when she began to chuckle. “I am being teased, aren't I?”

She touched his cheek briefly before heading towards the door. Dalen followed in behind her, and they walked together to the living room where Julian could be heard before he was seen.

“Do they think I will marry a liar like that? Who wants to marry someone that they thought was a boy for almost a year? Not to mention how fucking ugly she is.” He seethed.

“You aren't too pretty yourself.” Joe said as she entered the room and leaned against the door frame.

Julian turned his attention to the two, and watched as Dalen stood near the woman. Seth was on the couch and listening to his friend as if he was a teacher giving a lecture.

“You called her here?” Julian asked in a voice that told his friend that he felt betrayed.

“No, actually the two of you ruined an appointment I had with her.” Dalen told his friend confidently even though he knew this would upset him.

“Appointment?” Seth asked as he adjusted himself on the couch.

“A date. We were going to have a date.” Joe explained as she knew that Dalen was probably to afraid to admit what it was or even ask her if it was a date.

“Yes, a date.” Dalen's voice sounded slightly chipper after getting his verification. “Now, if you two don't mind.”

Seth frowned at that notion.

Julian moved around the couch to come and stand in front of Joe. “You are no better than she is. Lying about her and not telling me that my parents are going to make me marry a fucking he-she.”

“Watch your mouth.” Joe hissed. “You were the one that assumed she was a boy, and you were the one that befriended her thinking she was a boy. She never told you anything untrue. You just didn't want to see what was right in front of you.”

Julian looked towards Dalen, “You know, now that I think about it, you didn't seem too shocked by the news.”

“I have known for over a week. I heard your brother talking to her and figured it out.” He admitted and watched as his friend took a couple steps back to sit on the back of the couch. It was as if all strength had left his legs.

“You knew? You knew and you said nothing?” The betrayal was clear in his voice as he glared at his friend.

Dalen cleared his throat and nodded his head slowly. “To be fair, I didn't know she would end up your fiancee when I found out. She was just another friend in our group and I didn't think her gender mattered much.”

“And when you did find out about the engagement?” Seth asked as he walked around the couch to stand next to Julian, now everyone had taken a side.

“I was torn between telling my friend everything and keeping another friend's secrets. In all honesty, I think it was for the best that she waited until you were with your dad. You behave better when he is around.” Dalen knew that Julian would take this hard, and he hoped that Seth would understand. After all, Seth and he had been close for a long time.

Julian looked between Dalen and Joe for a moment before responding. “So, you sold me out for some pussy. Nice.” He hissed the words.

Seth didn't look too pleased either, but Dalen knew it was for an entirely different reason.

Joe was holding her cellphone in her hand, while this conversation was ongoing, when she felt it vibrate and looked down at it. It was a text from Bryce, “I found out Julian is heading your way. If you see him, tell him that Riane is getting home soon, and I am letting you know that I plan on taking her out to meet my friends.”

Feeling confused on why she would say that she texted a simple reply, “Why?”

“Playing on his jealousy. Even if he is pissed at her, he doesn't like it when his brothers play with his friends or toys. Trust me. This is the fastest way to end his anger, and get everything moving along.” Bryce answered.

“Don't phrase it like that.” Dalen frowned.

“Dalen,” Joe interrupted. “it looks like I will be able to stay out later. Bryce just told me that he is taking Riane out to meet his friends, so she won't be needing me tonight.”

Dalen had no idea what she meant by that, but Julian immediately shot up from his seated position.

“Why would she need to meet his friends?” Julian asked. “It's not like she is his fiancee. What the fuck is he up to?”

Joe shrugged her shoulders, “I don't know. Maybe you'll get lucky and the two of them will fall in love, then you won't have to worry about her anymore.”

“That would be a good thing, right?” Seth asked his ally.

Julian nodded his head, “Yeah, it would.” Though he didn't seem too sure about it.

This development interested Joe, as she knew that Julian didn't have any romantic feelings for Riane, but it was obvious that he wasn't ready to give up his friend. He was simply angry with the lies, and she thought that if Riane gave him an apology he might let the whole thing blow over.

Looking down at her phone she pretended to read another text, “I guess she is getting home soon with Mrs. Swithin.” Joe smiled at Dalen, “Do you want to go with them?”

“Sure.” Dalen didn't really want to, but he had no idea that Joe had no intention of going or that she just wanted to see Julian's reaction.

Julian frowned towards Dalen and immediately it was obvious that he didn't want Dalen to hang out with his brother either. “What the fuck? No one is hanging out with Bryce and his friends. He has his own damn friends, he doesn't need mine too.”

“Oh, well I guess just Riane will go then.” Joe looked back to Dalen, “Let's get going, shall we?”

Dalen realized that she was up to something and decided he would discuss it with her later, but before he could answer her Julian walked passed them.

“She isn't fucking going with him. So, you come home at the time you were supposed to!” Julian ordered her as he headed towards the door.

When he was gone, Seth looked surprised, Dalen was confused, and Joe found nothing but humor in the situation. She turned to both of them with a grin. “Seth, do you want to come eat with us?”

“No, I'm going to head home.” He mumbled under his breath as he walked between the two of them.

---***---

Getting into the car, Joe smiled at the man sitting next to her. It had been the first time that Dalen had called and asked to see her. He had invited Riane to come along if she wanted, and she knew it was not something that he actually wanted to happen. Her suspicions were confirmed, when she told his friends they were going on a date, his face had lit up which had endeared him to her.

“Do you have anywhere you want to eat?” Joe asked as she sat in the passenger's seat. He had offered to pick her up but she insisted on driving herself, and now that they were in the car it appeared she would be driving them to the date location as well.

Dalen watched Seth jump into his small convertible before driving away, and Julian was already long gone. He had heard his motorcycle start up and drive away before they had left the house. “Actually, I just came out here to make them leave. I was planning on cooking for you.”

Joe looked surprised, “Yeah?”

He opened the car door and stepped out, “I've lived alone with the help for a long time, and send them home often. I had to learn the fend for myself, and that meant a lot of cooking shows. Trust me, you'll only get minor food poisoning.”

She giggled as they stepped out of the car and went inside behind him. The two made their way to the kitchen that was mostly black counter tops coupled with white cabinets and stainless steel appliances. She took a seat on a stool next to the island.

“What are we eating?” She asked as she watched him pull ingredients from the fridge.

“I didn't want to do anything too involved since I would rather be talking with you. So, I thought just steak and potatoes. Oh, and I will make some green beans too. Sound good?” His voice told of his nervousness over the decision.

“Yum.” She told him with a smile and the tension in his face seemed to ease.

Dalen began to open the plastic wrap around the steaks and put them on the chopping block to season them. “You have to put salt on them and let them sit for a bit so they get like this salty skin.” He told her confidently. “Then I will grill them.”

Joe watched him prepare these tiny potatoes that were red, blue, and yellow in color. He mixed them with rosemary, salt, and olive oil before putting them in the oven and started to boil the green beans.

“You do know your way around the kitchen, don't you?” She said impressed. “My mother has cooked my entire life. She makes wonderful food, but she never taught me how to cook. She always told me that I needed to focus on my education and make it where I never have to cook for myself. I don't think she thought too far ahead on that one.”

“Maybe she was hoping you would marry rich and never have to cook.” Dalen sat down on the stool beside her.

“If that was the case she wouldn't have worried about my education so much, and would have focused more on my looks.” She watched him get up and move to the fridge.

“I don't know. It is a better sell to rich guys and their parents if the girl has an education. I have soda and wine.” He held up a soda can.

She took the can from him, “How do you have wine when no one overage lives here?” She asked as she opened the tab.

“The help buys it for me. My parents don't care as long as Seth and I are responsible. It's Julian who dabbles in drugs and alcohol far too much.” He sat down beside her again with his own can of soda. “Speaking of Julian, what was all that back there?”

She grinned, “Bryce sent me a message to say all that. I guess he is really possessive of his friends, and that he acted that way meant he still sees Riane as his friend. So, this feud might end faster if we use those emotions.”

He nodded his head slowly, “He is always the one to push everyone away, but god forbid you actually walk away. He'll come running after you.” He took a sip from his soda can.

“Can I ask you a question about him?” She watched him nod, “What is with him and women? He seems so hostile towards them.”

Dalen shrugged his shoulder. “He was like that when I met him about a year ago. As far as I can tell he always gets feelings for women that show him no interest, and he gets bitter that his efforts and emotions are in vain.”

“I heard he is a bit of a player though. Always bringing women home.” She could smell the rosemary in the air now that the potatoes had cooked for a bit.

“It's easy to buy someone for a night, but its impossible to purchase real feelings from them. He tries to pull the same crap he does on girls in the club that he does on girls he would like to keep around. Of course, girls like Adonia don't like to be treated like that and he ends up pushing them away before he even got close.” He adjusted himself on the stool.

“So, you are saying he is emotionally stunted when it comes to love.” She leaned her elbow against the island and pressed her face into her hand. “I wonder how to fix that.”

“Fix it? Why are you trying to fix it?”

Joe sat up straight again, “Ok, look, I am going to be straight with you. When Riane befriended Julian a few weeks back, she actually enjoyed going to school. It was like she gained some confidence in herself and I think he helped put it there. I think you all helped her, because she changed so quickly in front of me. I have known her all my life, and she has always been a wilting flower afraid of the world, but not with Julian and you guys.”

“Ok, why do I have a feeling you aren't just expressing gratitude?” He held onto his soda tightly.

Clearing her throat, she continued. “I am kind of hoping to get them to fall in love.”

A wide smile appeared on his lips as he chuckled, “I don't think that will happen, Joe. She isn't his type and I don't think she will ever seen him as anything more than a jerk brother.”

“She is his type that is why they became friends. He just thinks that his type is liking someone for only their outside appearance right now, and Riane doesn't look at other men that way because her eyes are always focused on Blake.” She tapped the counter top with her index finger as she made her points, “Right now, Riane is moving away from Blake, and Julian has befriended a female as proven by his jealous outburst today.”

Dalen stared at her for a couple seconds, “Alright, let's say you are right. What can I do to help out?”

“I wasn't trying to convince you to help. I was just telling you what I might be up to that is all.” She seemed shocked and embarrassed that he had offered her help.

“Let's see. I can let you do this alone and see you on your off time, or I can help you out and get to have a really good reason to see you and text you all day long.” He turned his eyes up toward the ceiling and tapped his index finger against his lips, “What to do? What to do?”

Joe softly grinned and gently smack his knee. “Ok, fine. You can help. Play on his jealousy at school by hanging out with Riane when he refuses.”

“I was planning on doing that anyway.” Dalen stood from his chair and made his way over to the oven to peer in on his potatoes. “I wasn't going to let her go back to hanging around that Blake guy, and I wasn't going to let her be by herself.”

Joe watched him check on the food with a kind smile, “Thanks, Dalen. You are a good friend to her.”

“Yeah, well, she is cool to be around and it helps me get in good with you. So, win win.” He winked at her as he shut the oven door.

“Trying to buy my affection through Riane? Solid plan.” She knew he was only joking and trying to be flirty.

“I am a solid business man. Now, let's get these steaks on the grill!” He grabbed the wooden chopping block and headed for the back sliding doors.

---***---

Riane entered into the house next to Nanette who had sent someone out to grab all their shopping bags. She was still in a dress with sandals and make-up on. She had wanted to ask to change out of it before heading home, but decided that Nanette might find her rude.

Bryce stepped out from the living room from down the hall and smiled at her. "You look very nice today."

Nanette beamed with pride that she had finally been able to play dress up with a girl, though she didn't realize how uncomfortable Riane had been. "Isn't she?"

"I was talking to you, mom, but yes, Riane as well." He was only teasing as he had been looking at Riane when he spoke the words.

"Oh, you!" She playfully hit his shoulder. "We should go unpack the shopping bags."

"Actually, mom, I was going to kidnap her. I think it would be fun if she came with me to hang out with my friends. Chad is having a small gathering and I thought Riane might want to meet some people from school and outside it." He looked to her. "Don't worry, I'll chill at your side all night. What do you say?"

In truth, the idea horrified her, but she didn't know how much more of Nanette she could take for the day. "Uh, sure. Sounds like fun."

"Great, do you want to go like that or do you want to change?" He motioned towards her clothing, and Riane instantly became uncomfortable because she knew her answer would bother his mother.

Nanette scoffed, "Why would she need to change? She looks lovely, besides Julian hasn't seen her yet."

Bryce looked over at his mother, "Because she is not accustomed to wearing clothes like this out, and since I am taking her somewhere to meet strangers I want her to feel comfortable."

Riane was surprised by how well he understood her feelings, and she wondered if he and Joe had a long conversation about her. However, Nanette looked disappointed and she didn't want to upset her on her very first day here. "No, I like this. We can go now."

Bryce gave a nod and Nanette smiled gently at her words as the two walked out through the front door.

They got in his dark blue BMW and Bryce smiled at her. "You didn't have to lie. If you let her push you around, she'll never stop. Are you sure you don't want me to run upstairs and grab you some pants?"

Riane shook her head, "No, I'll just consider this part of a new experience. It seems your family does that for me a lot."

He grinned, "Don't worry, this isn't a big party or anything. It's just a few of my friends from the basketball team and a couple of their girlfriends. You'll be my date tonight." He told her as he started the car and they began to pull out of the long driveway.

"May I ask why you are taking me?" She asked with concern in her voice.

"To get to know my future sister in law better, and to really piss off Julian." He smirked and gave her a wink.

"Why would he be upset?"

Reaching into his pocket he pulled out his cellphone, and showed her the text messages that he had with Joe earlier. The final one was from Joe who had said that he stormed out of Dalen's house and he was on the war path home.

"This is a strange tactic to get us to be friends again." Riane set his phone down on her lap and he nodded his head.

"I call it the big brother tactic. Julian is book smart but emotionally stunted. He doesn't know how to have a serious conversation about his feelings in order to get an explanation and an apology, which you do owe him." He cleared his throat as a motorcycle appeared down the road and passed them. Looking in his rearview mirrors, he watched it turn around and start following behind him.

"I know. He just comes off as so harsh that it's hard to apologize to someone who is berating you. I'd rather justify myself instead." Riane sighed.

"Apologize sincerely. It throws him off the anger game. By the way, that is him following us." He motioned his head to the rear of the car.

Riane turned her head and looked at him. His hands were motioning for them to pull over and he even flipped off his brother when Bryce waved at him by putting his hand out the window.

"Are you going to stop?"

Bryce shook his head, "No, I invited you out with me and I plan to follow through. If he wants to hang out with us he is more than welcome, but you left the house with me and you'll return with me as well. Right now, we are just going to let him seethe in his jealousy. He can't stand when others play with whatever he deems to be his; whether that be toys or friends. He has been that way since he was a kid."

They continued to drive and there were times when they came to a red light or stop sign, and Julian would pull his bike up to the drive side window to bang on it. Bryce ignored him and continued driving to his friend's house.

The white two story house they pulled up to was nothing compared to Riane's home or Bryce's, but it was much larger than the small houses on the other side of town. Upon parking in the smaller driveway, he stepped out of his car and ran around the side to open Riane's door. Julian parked his bike behind him and yanked off his helmet before tossing it to the ground.

"What the fuck?" Julian spat as Riane stepped out of the car. "Why are you out here with her?" He asked his brother before looking at her. "What are you wearing?"

"Mom played dress up with her today." He answered for her. "I am introducing her to my friends. Why are you here?"

"There is no need for you to introduce her to your friends. You've never introduced Seth or Dalen to them." Julian's voice was close to yelling.

"They aren't my future sister in law, are they? Besides, I thought since you aren't her friend anymore and will probably not let Seth and Dalen hang out with her, that she'd like to meet some new friends." He placed his hand on her shoulder, "She can hang out with us."

Julian frowned as Riane stood confused and uncomfortable over the situation. "I never said she couldn't hang out with us."

"It seems like you would want to punish her and make it where she would be outcast and alone." He cocked his head to the side. "That would be a move you would pull, and I have no intention of letting that happen."

The front door opened a man with dark brown hair stood in the doorway. "You coming in or what?"

"One second!" Bryce told him before looking at his brother. "Here is the deal. Riane is my date for the night, but you can join the party too."

"Your date?" Julian reached his hand out to grab Riane's hand, but Bryce smacked it away.

"Don't grab at women like that, and yes, she is my date. She came here with me and she will leave with me." He turned to her with a gentle grin. "I hope you like Thai food, Chad's mother makes the best I have ever eaten."

"I have never had Thai food." She told him as he offered out his arm for her to take. She gently wrapped her arm around his as they began to walk towards the door. She looked behind her at Julian, who stood flabbergasted for a moment before he followed them in.

Riane wondered if Bryce had some sort of strange power over Julian that made him act more rational, or perhaps he didn't play into Julian's irrationality which gave him no power. Either way, Julian quietly followed them into the house and took a soda that was offered to him.

"Riane, this is Chad, Luke, and Brian. Also, Brian's girlfriend, Ashley, and Chad's girlfriend, Kalei." He introduced her, but Riane recognized Adonia's best friend immediately.

---***---

Riane sat quietly on the couch as everyone chatted with one another. She felt like an outsider that shouldn't have come to the small gathering. Julian sat next to her on the couch while everyone talked about basketball, classes, and relationships.

Kalei had stared at her a couple times. She wasn't sure if she recognized her and she didn't know if Kalei was aware that Ryan was actually Riane, but she was pretty certain that Adonia only ever called her Riane and said she was a female. Since Kalei looked confused, Riane thought it meant she hadn't figured out who she was or where she had seen her before. In a way, she was glad for the strange clothing as she feared being recognized by the woman.

"This is shit. Let's go." Julian mumbled at her as he stood up when Bryce's back was turned and talking to his friend, Chad.

"I am supposed to leave with Bryce and we haven't eaten dinner, yet. It would be rude." She watched Julian reach down and take her hand in a gentle manner she did not expect from him.

"Look, he left you alone on the couch and Adonia's bitch friend has been eyeing you all night. Let's go. I'll buy you Thai food some other time." He tried to pull on her arm to get her to stand up, but she remained seated. "Come on, Riane."

Her name sounded strange in his mouth and his strangely calm and kind manner was disconcerting. It was strange that he was paying close enough attention to know she was uncomfortable as well, and he had noticed Kalei's strange stares. It was almost as if he was concerned for her. She wondered if it was the jealousy or perhaps that clothing had something to do with it, but this wasn't the Julian she had befriended all those weeks ago.

"No, I..."

"Aww, are you two holding hands?" Kalei asked as she approached them with a glass of wine in her hand. "I heard you just found out you were engaged yesterday."

She thought Julian might drop her hand, but she had forgotten how confident he was in himself. He merely sneered at her. "We are not having a good time, and we are going to go. Tell Chad that we were grateful to be invited."

"I am not leaving, Julian. Bryce said..."

He glared down at her, "I don't care what Bryce said. You aren't happy being here and neither am I."

Kalei looked offended, "When Adonia said you were a jerk, she was being nice, eh?"

Julian didn't even bother to reply to her. It was as if she was an annoying fly that he didn't want to deal with. "Come on, Riane."

"If you want to go then go. You weren't invited here anyway." Riane mumbled and pulled her hand out of his own.

Julian stared at her for a moment before sitting back down beside her. He leaned his right arm against the arm rest of the couch and placed his cheek in his hand.

Kalei continued to stand in front of them and Julian looked over at her. "What? You want to sit on our laps or something?"

Riane couldn't figure out who this person beside her was. She wondered if he would have still acted this way if she was Ryan and Bryce had decided to hang out with her as him. Part of her thought he might, but another part thought he would most certainly have walked out. She knew he never would have touched her hand. He had been protective of her to a certain degree when she was Ryan, and he helped her, but he was acting differently and she wasn't sure she appreciated it.

Kalei smiled at Riane and ignored Julian's harsh words. "Blake has told me a great deal about you. I am glad to finally get to meet you."

She knew it was too much to hope that Kalei wouldn't recognize her. "Yeah, we have been friends a long time."

"So he has told me. I am surprised to see you all dressed up like this. I heard you are a true to form tomboy. You look very lovely. This look suits you well." She was trying to be nice and actually attempting to make a friends with her.

"Thank you." Riane replied.

"She looks like Ryan in a dress. She was fine before." Julian snapped at the woman as he dropped his hand from his face to the couch.

She turned her eyes to him and spoke sincerely, "Thank you."

Julian hadn't meant it as a compliment and only wanted to be disagreeable with the woman that was thwarting his attempts to get Riane to leave this place. Her gratitude made him uncomfortable and annoyed. "Whatever."

"Hey!" A familiar voice spoke behind them.

Kalei smiled and waved, "I told Adonia you were here." She said it as if she was doing Riane a favor.

Both Julian and Riane looked behind them over the back of the couch as Adonia and Blake entered into the room.

"Do you want to leave now?" Julian asked her.

"Yes, please." She whimpered.

They both stood up, but they had to move towards the two people that they wanted to avoid in order to leave. Kalei was completely ignored and left behind at the couch.

"Wow, Riane, you look very nice." Adonia said as they approached her and she stepped forward to give her a hug.

Blake stood beside his girlfriend and smiled at Riane. "Yeah, you do."

"Thanks, Mrs. Swithin and I had a girls' day out." She didn't want to appear rude to the two, especially in front of Bryce's friends and knowing that Adonia was in fact one of his friends.

"Hey, Blake." Bryce came over to stand next to Riane, "Adonia, I thought you weren't going to be able to come? Hot date night, right?"

Adonia shrugged her shoulders, "Eh, we figured we would stop by for a minute before heading out to eat."

Bryce would not have invited Riane had he known they would have showed up. He had been made aware by Adonia of their situation with Riane in more details than he should have known.

Riane's whole body was tense when a hand reached down and grabbed her own. Julian cleared his throat. "Well, we appreciate being invited but I am not feeling good."

Bryce for once was thankful that his brother was an ass. "Here, drive my car home so she doesn't have to ride on the back of your bike. Leave me your keys."

Julian quickly pulled out his keys and they exchanged them, before he pulled Riane out of the house and into the car where they sat for a moment.

"What are you doing?" Riane asked once the awkwardness poured away. "Not that I am not thankful, but why did you want to get me out of there so bad?"

"Were you happy being in there? Especially when those two showed up?" He questioned as he started the car.

She sighed which meant yes, "You shouldn't have been in there at all. Bryce was taking me out. Why did you follow us here?"

Julian pulled out of the parking lot and briefly looked over at her. "What the fuck do you care? Just be glad I was there to get you out of it."

There was a long silence between them, as Riane thought over Bryce's words about Julian's jealousy.

Suddenly he pulled the car over and turned it off before turning to stare at her. "Fucking hell, you want Blake, right? I mean you like him, right? You didn't want him treating you like he was your dad, because you want to fuck him. Am I right?"

"Is this some Julian way of asking if I am in love with him? If so, then you are right." Riane sighed in annoyance.

Julian laughed, "That's great. That's hilarious." After he laughed for a moment, he cleared his throat and glared at her. "You know this changes nothing. I am going to make you go back home."

Riane's heart sank as she thought perhaps that Bryce had saved them from having to play this game. "You know I am your friend that's why you came here, so you would really risk losing my friendship instead of just letting me live at your house for a few years?"

He nodded his head, "I would, and if you want to stay friends, you'll leave before I do something that can't be forgiven. Got it?"

She rolled her eyes and looked out the window, as Julian started the car again.

---***---

Adonia and Blake stood side by side as they watched Riane and Julian slip out the front door. Their eyes turned to Bryce who cleared his throat and tried to put a pleasant smile on his lips, before shoving his hands into his pockets.

"She treats us enough like poison, you don't have to help her escape us." Adonia finally decided that she wasn't going to let this go.

Kalei walked over to them as Chad joined them. Everyone else seemed to be unwilling to be part of the conversation and slowly made their way out of the living room and into the kitchen.

Bryce sighed, "Had I known you were coming, I wouldn't have brought her." He explained.

"You are pretty loyal to a girl you only just met." Chad was attempting to chastise his closest friend.

Blake agreed with a nod. "We came here because we knew she would be here. I am trying to earn back my friend."

Kalei slowly shook her head at Bryce, "Seriously, Blake has been going on for weeks now that he wanted to get her in a setting that he could talk to her in. You know that and you allowed Julian to just take her away."

"If Blake..." He shook his head and looked over at the man he was discussing, "If you want to get her into a setting to talk to her. May I suggest calling her on the phone? Writing her a letter? Visiting her at home?"

Rolling his eyes, Chad took Kalei's hand and mumbled something about this not being their business before heading into the kitchen.

Adonia couldn't help but feel betrayed by her friend, and hurt for her boyfriend. "Bryce, you don't understand entirely what is going on. You should have let them talk."

"No, I understand. You treated her like a guy for years, and now that she no longer wants to be seen that way, you are... what are you doing? Hounding her? From what I understand, she has made it very clear that she doesn't want to socialize with you until she has set aside her feelings, but you don't seem to take her feelings seriously." Bryce snapped.

"I take her feelings seriously. You need to back off." Blake took a step toward him.

"If you did, you wouldn't be acting this way. She has had romantic feelings for you for years, right? You think they can be brushed under a rug in a couple days or a couple weeks? You are being selfish." Bryce moved closer to him until Adonia stepped in between them and pushed them both further apart.

"Stop it, you two." She cried out.

"What does this have to do with you, Bryce? Why are you bringing her to parties and protecting her from me? Who are you to make her case for her?" He growled and gently pushed Adonia's hand away from his chest.

"Me? I am going to be her big brother one day, and I figured I start playing the part now." He could tell that the other man didn't like that answer, and decided he wanted to see how deep those feelings went with Blake. Was this protectiveness? Was it jealousy? He wanted to know. "Do you think Julian rescues just anyone like that? My selfish little brother?"

Adonia was the one that answered first, "Are you saying that Julian might have romantic feelings toward her? You have to be kidding. Have you met your brother? He is an ass who only cares about himself and what others can give him. His only interest in women is if they are beautiful enough."

Bryce turned his attentions to her. "You forget that Riane was his friend for weeks before all of this. My brother doesn't let people in easily, and when he does he has a difficult time letting them go. She isn't going anywhere and he'll do whatever it takes to keep her." He didn't believe half of what he said, but he knew that the two people in front of him didn't.

For Bryce, this was less about helping Riane now, and more about digging himself out of this hole he created by bringing her with him. He had just been trying to help Riane and Julian out with their argument, and now he was in one with his own friends because of it.

Blake let out a deep breath, "He's right. I should leave her alone. If she wants to talk she will come and find me. If it was the other way around, I would want my time and space too."

The woman beside him could fell the tension in her body disappear as she turned to him. "I suppose you are right. We can't make her be our friend."

"I didn't say I was going to give up on her friendship. I am merely agreeing that she needs time away from me so that she doesn't feel the same way anymore." He sounded slightly offended by her words, but turned to Bryce. "Thanks for telling me that, and I'm sorry about all this."

Bryce felt somewhat bad for getting him to apologize to him, when he had been the one to cause the issues in the first place. "It's nothing, man. I am sorry for it too."

They both shook hands.

"Is she doing alright at your house? She is dressed strangely. I have never seen her like that." He asked.

"Except for that time at the mall with Joe and the guy friend of Julian's." Adonia added and he gave a slight nod.

Bryce didn't know if he should be feeding him information about her, but decided it wouldn't hurt to put him at ease about the situation. "Well, it's only been a weekend, but she and my mom seem to be hitting it off. That is who put her in a dress today. I am guessing against her will. Zack isn't giving her any leeway, but he will come around eventually, and, well, you saw Julian for yourself." He was going to leave out the part where Julian raged at him for hours the night before about making her miserable enough to leave the house.

"That's good." Was the only comment that Blake could think to muster.

"Yeah, it is." He cleared his throat, "I don't think she'll be leaving any time soon. So, don't worry about her. She is in good hands."

Blake nodded his head once more. "Thanks."

"Well, we should be going." Adonia said as she walked into the kitchen to say goodbye to everyone else.

Bryce decided that he didn't want to have another conversation about this with Chad and the others and gave out his goodbyes and apologies before heading out the door with the couple.

He had to pick up the helmet from the ground where Julian had tossed it, and climb on the bike as the two got in their car.

Adonia waved at him before getting in the car and watching his drive away. She looked over at Blake, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, it's just that I don't know who Riane is anymore. Hell, I have called her Ryan our entire friendship so just getting my mouth around that name is difficult. Seeing her in a dress and knowing that all this time it was her mother's doing and not her own was true and not an excuse for it." He sighed, "I don't know. I feel like my friend is gone, and has been replaced by someone I don't know. I don't know how all these strangers are getting her to be this person, when Joe and I couldn't do anything for years on end."

"Maybe that's part of her growing up. Maybe she always was that person, but felt ashamed of it because of what happened to her. Maybe it was just a shield for her against her pain, and she didn't feel comfortable coming out of it in front of those she was closest too." Adonia rubbed his shoulder gently. "I don't know and I don't know if she does either. She has to work it out and I am certain she'll eventually get back to you and let you know what she has discovered."

"I guess, it is the waiting that is unbearable." He started the car. "Do you mind if we cancel tonight? I am not feeling up to it."

"Sure, you want to do something at the ranch or do you just want to head home?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know. Let me drive you up there, and we will decide from there."

---***---

Riane had put on her baggy pants and shirt that Monday morning, but had seen her hands before heading out of the room. The nails were trimmed, polished, and painted with white tips. She had stood in front of the mirror for several moments with her hands out in front of her. They looked strange with the outfit she was currently wearing.

A knock came to the door and Nanette opened it to find her just standing in front of the mirror staring at herself. "Dear, breakfast will get cold."

She seemed to come back to herself, "Oh, sorry."

The older woman smiled and began to head down the hall, but stopped when she heard her name being called and so she returned to the door. "Yes?"

"Um, can you help me?" Riane asked and motioned towards the closest. "I don't know what shirts go with those jeans you bought me yesterday."

Nanette seemed surprised, "I didn't think you would wear them to school. Are you certain?"

She slowly nodded, "Yeah, everyone important has already seen me that way, and I really don't want to mess up my nails. Can you help with my make-up too?"

"Of course." Nanette entered the room and shut the door behind her.

She pulled out a nice blouse while Riane picked out a tighter jean that would frame her. Riane didn't know if she could do this and decided that she would put a spare change of clothes in her backpack. However, she remembered going to the party dressed the way she was, and no one said anything. Her worst fears were not realized, and that made her want to try something else.

Nanette picked out a pair of boots that didn't have much of a heel on them, before she helped spike Riane's hair a little and applied make-up. When she was finished, she noticed Riane put a change of clothes in her backpack.

"Oh, don't forget these." Nanette held out a little tub that contained make-up remover tissues. "Just in case."

Feeling supported for the first time in life, Riane took the tub and smiled. "Thank you."

"I have some for your nails in my room. Go on downstairs, and eat while I get them for you." She told her as she left the room.

Riane looked at herself for a brief moment. She was wearing a stripped shirt that was black and white that framed her figure and her short, red hair was spiked in the back and brushed down somewhat in the front. It looked rather punkish especially with the thicker line of eye liner that Nanette had given her.

She didn't look like Ryan at all and that almost felt comforting. As she stared at herself for a few more seconds, she asked herself if this was Riane. Had she been hiding behind Ryan all along, and not been able to see herself because of her hatred to do as her father said and her shame of being a girl as her mother wanted?

Today, she wanted to find out.

Walking down the stairs, she entered into the dining room. Colin was not there that morning as he had left the night before on a business trip. So, it was only the three boys.

Sitting down next to Bryce, she began to eat the fruits and toast that was provided. There was oatmeal, but she had always detested it. A moment of silence occurred and it seemed like none of them had bothered to look at her. They were all eating their meals and staring into the phones.

Finally, Bryce put his phone down and turned to her. He seemed stunned for a brief moment, but recovered quickly. "Morning. I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I didn't know they would be there."

She slowly shook her head, "It's fine. Actually, having to face him even for a second helped me a bit. So, thank you."

He grinned, "You're welcome. You look awesome by the way. Straight out of a magazine."

"Thanks. Nanette did it. I like it a lot." She ate a blueberry. "It's like finding Riane under Ryan after all these years."

"Too bad Ryan was never real. I actually liked that guy." Julian hissed from the other side of the table.

"You like Riane too." She said speaking in third person. "Otherwise, you never would have helped me yesterday."

He glared at her before turning his attention back to his oatmeal that looked to be mostly syrup and strawberries.

"Don't like oatmeal?" Bryce asked as she seemed to ignore it.

"Not my favorite."

"Here, try it like this." He took her bowl and adding some cream a small white container on the table, then some sugar followed by strawberries. "If you don't like it, I'll eat it for you." He said as he put it down on the table in front of her. "It's good fiber. It'll fill you up all day. Good brain food." He sounded like a salesman for oatmeal.

She picked up the spoon from the bowl and mixed everything around before having a bit. When she swallowed, she smiled at him. "Actually, that's pretty good. I've always had it just plain with a little bit of honey."

Zack had been sitting across the table next to Julian. He was quietly eating his meal, but giving her glares as he watched his treacherous brother be nice to the girl that he wanted gone just as much as Julian did.

"Here you go." Nanette entered the dining room and held out a small plastic bag with a few moist tissues in it.

"Thank you." She took it from her and put it in her backpack that was next to her chair.

"My pleasure. I have got to run some errands today, so make sure you get to school." She was speaking mostly to Julian and exited the room right as Joe entered.

Joe had been sleeping in the guest house and had been invited to breakfast, but she felt uncomfortable eating with the family that she was working for. So, she had made excuses a couple times over the weekend, but that morning she didn't have any.

Taking a seat next to Riane, she began to shovel the oatmeal in her mouth without adding anything to it. It was as if she was racing everyone else.

"Slow down, Joe. We have time." Riane chuckled.

Realizing what she was doing, Joe sat up straight and giggled. "Sorry. Oh, look at you." She plucked at a couple of her spiked hairs. "You look bad ass."

"Yeah, you think so?" Riane watched her friend nod and she smiled. "I brought a change of clothes in case it's too overwhelming, but I am kind of excited."

"It'll be fun to see if people recognize you." She chuckled as she began to get the fruit off her plate.

"If you need someone to eat lunch with, I eat in the cafeteria. Come find me." Bryce told her before standing up from the table.

"Geeze, Bryce. You realize that she is Julian's fiancee and not yours, right?" Zack snapped, but his older brother simply ignored him as he left the room to finish readying himself for his day.

That didn't seem to sit right with Zack, and he jumped to his feet to follow after him which left Julian alone with two women.

He was staring at his phone as he finished his meal, and didn't seem to notice until he looked up briefly. His eyes searched the room and when he found no one, he tossed the spoon into his bowl and hurried to leave.

Riane seemed amused which put Joe at ease. "He is such a stubborn ass."

"I hear you can be too." Joe teased and they both chuckled together.

---***---

Joe drove the car up to the gates and looked over at Riane in the passenger's seat. "You ready?" She asked as she could see the nervousness in her eyes.

Riane nodded her head as she clutched her backpack to her chest. "My first day at school as a girl begins now." She was more speaking to herself than to Joe.

"There is Dalen." She pointed to the gate. "Don't worry, he'll help you."

Nodding again, she opened the door and stepped out to find that Adonia and Blake were no where to be seen. They weren't waiting for her at the gate like they did every day, and she felt somewhat disappointed, but there would be no time for that emotion.

Dalen approached her and waved at Joe, before she drove away. He smiled down at Riane, "Joe told me you were trying a new outfit out and to not act surprised, but I am surprised. You look really great."

Her nervousness melted away slightly as she smiled, "Thanks, Dalen. I am really nervous about this, but I... I wanted to know how it would feel to be seen as this instead."

"It'll be great."

She noticed Seth standing in the distance and trying not to make eye contact with her. "Seth on team Julian?"

He chuckled as he ran his hand over his chin, "Yeah, he is mad at you right now. He'll get over it. He can't hold a grudge. Also, he is my best friend and I'm on team Riane. He'll switch sides. Just you watch."

"Thanks for understanding, though you are probably doing it to garner points with Joe." She half teased.

He shrugged, "If I get to keep my new friend, annoy Julian, and get points with her then it's an all over win with me."

"Annoy Julian?"

He nodded, "Sometimes it's fun to piss him off. He has to be knocked off his pedestal once in a while otherwise he is intolerable." He motioned towards a car with his head and folded his hands across his chest. "Speak of the devil."

Bryce exited the car first and gave a wave to her before passing by completely without a word spoken.

When Julian stepped out, he frowned at her and Dalen as he made her way over to Seth. The two glared at them briefly before Julian walked over to stand in front of his friend.

"Are you sure about this, Dalen? If you pick her over me, we are done. Got it?" Julian crossed his own arms.

Dalen looked over at Seth with a smile, "Does she look awesome? Her hair is all spiked and her shirt makes her look like an escapee from an old movie." He motioned to her black and white striped shirt.

Seth briefly chuckled before returning to his hardened face when Julian turned his gaze to him. "Dalen, come on, let's go."

Dalen shook his head, "Nah, sorry, man, but I am not going to let Julian dictate our friends just because she is female. I like hanging with Little Man and that won't change. Seems to me that you two are the jerks in this."

"She lied to us." Seth argued as newly arrived students walked around them as they stood in the pathway.

"We assumed she was a guy and she didn't correct us. Hard to correct someone when they are picking on you. Better to let them look dumb. I mean come on, the best insults we had were about her being a girl." He motioned towards her. "Wow, how painful for her."

Julian turned his eyes to Riane, "Well, congrats, you are not only destroying my family but my friendships too."

"Oh please!" Riane scoffed, "You are the one doing it. If you would just chill out and wait it out for a few years, I would be gone and you would be able to go back to your whoring ways."

"Yeah?" Dalen asked. "How's that?"

"I just don't want to live at my home anymore under my father's rules, and if I did go back he would probably blame me and find someone even worse." She explained. "I just want to live at his house until I finish college and then we can end the engagement. We just have to be friends and hell, I'll even cover for him when he wants to go out and find girls. It's good for both of us since I'll make him look like he is changing and get his parents off his back, and I don't have to suffer in my own home."

"That sounds like a good deal." Seth's posture began to look less tense. "We can keep going out and having fun that way."

Julian kept his body tense and continued to attempt to glare her down. "I am not going to let my parents control me this way, so fuck you." He smacked Seth on the shoulder, "Come on."

As he walked away he realized that Seth wasn't following him, and he turned to find him standing nervously as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"You coming?"

Seth cleared his throat, "Um, sounds to me like she is being reasonable. Yeah, she lied but it's like Dalen said we made the assumption first. Maybe we are overreacting."

"Whatever, fuck you too." He flipped him off before turning around and heading towards the gym.

Seth turned back to Dalen and Riane while continuing to look nervous. "Uh, sorry about everything."

"Don't worry about it." Dalen smacked his upper arm.

"Yeah, it's understandable." Riane added.

Seth seemed to content with their responses before looking Riane over. "You do look pretty awesome today. I barely recognized you." He reached out his hand and touched the spiked hair gently. "Punk bitch, I dig it."

Riane smiled, "Thanks. I was nervous to come to school looking like this, but I wanted to give it a shot."

"After classes, let's go celebrate if you make it the whole day." Dalen suggested. "We'll get Joe and have a pizza dinner. You like pizza, right?"

"I love pizza." She didn't tell him that her father had never known she had eaten it before as she didn't want to speak of him anymore.

Dalen put his arm around her shoulder and the three began to walk together through the school courtyard.

Seth and Dalen chatted about some television show that they had watched the night before that involved beheadings, and Riane listened in as they told her that they should re-watch all the seasons with her so she can catch up with them.

The conversation and the friendship were enough that Riane didn't realize they had walked her through the large crowd up to her first class. They continued to chat and laugh with her for several more minutes, before the bells rang letting everyone know it was time to get to class.

"See ya!" They both waved at her as they walked away.

Riane waved back and as she was about to turn to entered the classroom of the brick building, she noticed someone standing in the distance with just his head peering around the building. It was Julian.

He held up his hand with his index finger and middle finger out. He used them to point at his eyes and then at her to let her know that he was watching her.

She didn't know why she did it but it was just a gesture that she thought would be a funny response to his own. Kissing her fingers, she blew him a kiss before heading into the classroom. She didn't even wait to see his response.

Chapter 5: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=384

Comments for Chapter 4: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=428