Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 29: Surrogate Mate

The next tournament was upon them quickly, and Anton had chosen not to join them as his father had ordered. He hadn't even come to support them during their trials and instead stayed behind to study as a letter from his father, who didn't visit this time, had commanded of him.

Ophelia had tried the archery portion for them but she had been terrible and came in last place during her part of the tournament. Authin had replaced Routine as he refused to wear the hot and bulky armor again especially during the rainy season. Authin had done well, earning second place, even though it seemed the other houses were much rougher on him.

However, their attempts this time did not put them in first place even though Lenore and Santh had earned first place in unarmed and melee. The Royal dorms had placed first in the three other portions and had beat them thoroughly. It was mostly due to Ophelia's last place in the archery contest, which by the look on her face as they announced the winner everyone in their group could tell she was disappointed in herself.

After it was announced that the Royal Dorms had won, the Unmentionables were quick to sneak away in order to avoid the gloating that would be taking place.

Anton left to quickly change out of his armor, even though he knew the other jousting contestants would soon arrive to taunt him. The others chose to leave the stadium where their parents had already come to greet them.

Odelia ran up while the others watched and hugged her daughter tightly. "You were so wonderful today. I was so inspired by how brave you have been these past few days."

"I know." Ophelia told her mother with bitter disappointment in her voice. There was nothing her mother could say in order to make her believe that she had done well.

Lenore had practiced with her for a month before the tournament, and though by the end she was hitting the target she could never make it go exactly where she wanted it to.

Jolon had placed third in the hammer throwing and was patted on the back by his father and hugged by his mother.

"You did well, son." Felton told him and Edith mimicked the sentiment.

Jolon nodded his head. He was angry with himself for earning third place when he had earned second the tournament before. His parents could see that he was not happy with himself and knew there was nothing they could do for him.

Pymus had come to congratulate Lenore and Santh who wouldn't have parents to praise them, and also spy on his son and his new found love interest. Remus was not hiding his feelings for Ophelia any longer which Lenore knew would cause a great deal of trouble in the future.

"Lenore and Santh," Pymus spoke as he came to stand in front of them with Remus close at his heels. Though Remus was more interested in watching Ophelia and waiting his turn to comfort the girl in the older woman's arms. "you two are quite the pair. Winning your portions of the tournament twice in a row, and Santh undefeated both times. One could only imagine what would happen if the two of you ruled a kingdom together."

Routine was standing nearby with his parents as Pymus spoke and the crowd from the stadium slowly filtered out. He took a deep breath at that comment in hopes that his parents wouldn't see what every one else said they saw between the Mondue and the Princess. It would certainly destroy the comfortable time he was now having since his parents were at rest about his marriage prospects.

Vidal laughed, "Now, now, Pymus. Byron and Lenore will be ruling the Souchan Guild. Do not put any ideas in to our future daughter's mind." Even though they weren't open about their engagement it seemed that nothing could be hidden from Pymus for long, and the other parents were soon aware of their arrangement as well.

"Of course, my apologizes." Pymus bowed before giving Santh a quick wink. "Santh, would you mind stepping aside with me. I have something I must speak to you about."

Santh gave a nod and followed behind his elder.

Lenore took a deep breath and looked at her dorm mates. Even Remus and Routine looked upset by how the tournament had ended. "I apologize, but we all wish to return to the dorm for rest. We won't be attending the ball."

Odelia nodded as Pymus came to stand at her side. "Very well. We will visit tomorrow." She told them and the other parents agreed before the group began to make their way toward the dorm.

---***---

The Unmentionables knew that they shouldn't attend the ball if they did not win, as they knew they were only tolerated there before because they had become the champions. Ophelia was already upset after losing, but she had also put work into dresses for Lenore and herself that she would not be wearing. She didn't mention this upset to her friends as she didn't wish to seem selfish.

Authin was still going to the ball after he changed out of his armor, and she had wanted to ask him if she could go with him. However, she knew that he had already selected someone to take and it would be unfair to the other woman to take her place. She didn't want to create her happiness from someone else's pain. Part of her knew that Remus would take her if she asked, but it also felt like abandoning her friends who were more disappointed over the loss than she was, or at least that is what she thought.

Ophelia tried to hold back tears as she walked with the group, but once in a while she would sniffle. At first, the rest decided to remain silent as the person who truly knew how to speak with her, Lenore, was not speaking.

"It was boring eating at the dorm anyway." Lenore finally told her as she put her hand on her shoulder. "You only trained for a month, and I'll help you to do better next time."

Even Routine seemed to care enough to offer his sympathy. "I saw an extraordinary effort for someone with so little experience."

"I came in last place." She sniffled again and wiped a stray tear from her face. In her heart, she had begged the powers that be to not allow her to place last. Even if she came in second to last, at least then she wouldn't be the one to completely destroy their chance to win.

Jolon snorted at her comment, "Yet, you did place. That is more than the majority of students in this school can claim. Most do not gather the courage to stand before all and be judged."

"Agreed." Remus took the girl's hand which caused Lenore to remove her own hand from Ophelia's shoulder. He kissed the back of Ophelia's hand gently and smiled.

Jolon chuckled, "I positioned third when I managed second last tournament. If Authin and I had done better than we might have won, you don't carry the burden alone."

Ophelia looked up from the ground to her commoner dorm mate's eyes but continued to frown. "I am the one that placed in the most pathetic position. It's all my fault, because I should have done better when everyone else was trying so hard."

"Did you not try your best?" Lenore asked walking behind the group but beside Routine.

"I did." She sighed, "I am just awful at archery."

"You just haven't learned completely." Remus began to move forward with her hand still in his. "Come with me, I have some thing that will cheer you up."

The three watched as Remus and Ophelia disappeared into the groups of students who were rushing to prepare for the ball or whatever it was they had planned to do after the tournament.

"It is strange to see the two of them engage in a relationship so openly." Lenore spoke out loud to no one.

Routine didn't seem interested in commenting as in truth he hadn't paid enough attention to them to notice a difference.

Jolon nodded. "Odd, but something strangely innocent about it even still."

The Princess laughed and looked over at the commoner. "You have noticed it as well. Speaking of which, will Saena be joining us tonight?"

He shook his head, "No, she had wanted to, but we have to keep her father from becoming too suspicious. He will not appreciate her attempting to join the school."

Lenore gave an understanding nod. "Maybe, we should celebrate our last night of having our meals at the dorm." As she spoke this one of her father's Royal Guards appeared in the flower court ahead of them. She sighed when his eyes fell upon her. "Perhaps another time." With that she immediately turned around and began to head in the opposite direction.

---***---

Santh had followed Pymus into one of the changing rooms under the arena. The room was filled with costumes for the many plays that were performed for the Royal Dorms, and armor and weapons for the tournaments; some of which was also used in the plays.

Pymus reached into a box near the door and offered a leather bound journal out to Santh. The Mondue stood much taller than the older man and glared down at him with no wonder or amusement on his face. He didn't even seem to be question what the item was, but instead looked annoyed that Pymus had brought him aside at all for what ever the item was.

"Your father wrote dozens of journals. They begin during his time here at University, and end right before his death. Read this first one, and then I shall send you the rest." Pymus explained and tried to offer out the journal again.

"I know what it is. I have memories of my father writing in them." A low growl could be heard behind each of his words.

The merchant didn't understand why he would not take it, and tried to make him take it by pressing it against the boy's chest.

This caused Santh to grab it, but he was quick to shove it back into Pymus' own chest. "I have no interest in this filth."

That comment caused Pymus to raise an eyebrow. "Filth? Do you not realize who these journals were written for?"

Santh snorted, "I do not care. I have my memories of who my father was and I do not want them poisoned by his own words laced with naivety for a king that gladly tossed him to the wolves." He was about to walk around the smaller man, but Pymus was quick to step in front of him. Santh wasn't used to people preventing him from leaving, however he knew better than to cause any harm to Pymus as this man had been the only father figure he had as a child.

"Your father is..." A sadness overcame Pymus' face at those words, "was a great man. Strategic and intelligent. Naive is not a word that I would ever use to describe Varden Aguilar." Pymus looked the boy in the eyes and did not back down no matter how intimidating Santh looked in those moments.

"How would you know?" He snapped.

"I have told you many times before that I knew your father. Perhaps more intimately than you were lead to believe. In these journals, holds a wealth of information that he wished for you to have, and that only now I believe you are capable of understanding." He held out the journal again, but Santh made no movement to take it.

Instead, Santh crossed his arms and glared at the door nearby. He wanted to leave and there was nothing that Pymus could say that would change his mind.

"Some stories of your father are merely fantasy, while others have been forgotten all together, except in these journals. This is a link to a man that you may never have truly known otherwise. It is an opportunity that you should not walk away from." Pymus didn't know what else to tell the boy without spoiling what the journals might hold. "There is so much your father wanted you to know. He knew what he would become and knew that one day that would entail his death, so he kept these journals so in case his children never grew to know him then they could at the very least grow to understand him through his own words."

Santh looked down at the journal and slapped it as hard as he could. The leather bound book crashed to the ground. "My father was a pawn in the King's play for power. Nothing more, and I will speak no more on his pathetic attempts to force me into the same submission."

Pymus was quickly shoved aside and Santh disappeared out the door, no doubt to head into the city for a drink or two. The merchant picked up the book from the ground and dusted it off with a sigh. "Lucius was right. It was worse than I could have imagined."

---***---

Piera walked with her arm wrapped around the Prince's as they made their way back to the dorms surrounded by the advisers and several Royal Guards. The guards encircled them so well as they walked forward, that none of them could see the other students passing around them, but they could still be heard. It was as if the guards created a small sanctuary away from the rest of the world, a little bubble all their own. Though many of the group were chatting amongst themselves, all Piera could think about was the faces she had seen during the winners' announcement.

The Unmentionables had looked heartbroken and in turn it had broken her own heart. Lenore did not look like a sister trying to take over her brother's throne in those moments, but instead almost like a mother who felt the defeat of her own children. Her eyes immediately had looked over everyone to ensure they were alright.

That moment had made Piera wish she still called those people her friends, though she truly had little time with them. On the other hand, she had the Prince, whom she had to act as if she was pleased with. In truth, she was very excited about his victory over the Unmentionables and the other dorms, but it was bitter sweet for her.

"Lenore and the others looked very upset." She finally spoke to Lesatan.

Lesatan turned his attention to her while the advisers fell silent. "One can not be the scorned of society and not be capable of easily stepping over the rocks that lay in the path."

"Is it truly wise to boast your victory over your sister?" She asked and when he did not answer, she elaborated. "If the two of you act as if you are constantly in battle, won't eventually the people themselves pick sides? Even something as childish as this tournament could force people to choose, and where would things end then? Civil war over the rightful heir."

He looked amused by her words. "You think far too much on such affairs."

"Are you truly happy to be victorious over your own sister, especially after seeing how bitterly disappointed she was?"

The question caused Lesatan and his advisers to look at her as if she had spoken a language they had never heard before.

"I could never be content knowing that I had upset my brother so." She didn't believe that they would understand what she was trying to convey.

After a moment, Lesatan finally began to speak. "My sister and I have spent our lives in competition with one another. We both know how to lose gracefully to the other. I had a great deal of disappointment when I lost the tournament, and now it is her turn."

"You told me once that she comforted you when it was over. Do you plan to do the same for her?"

Lesatan laughed as did his advisers. "My bride, I am her future king, it was wise of her to comfort me and end any bitter feelings. The same does not apply when the future king is victorious. No king goes around patting the backs of fallen peasants after they lost a battle to him. The people wish to see him boast and show how strong he is." He smiled and gently patted her hand. "Lenore knows how to lose to me, and she did well. She vanished quickly from sight just as she should."

"I do not believe that one ever truly learns how to lose to their own siblings, as siblings should always be on each other's side." Piera informed him of her opinion, but she could see that he was becoming frustrated.

"Then perhaps Lenore shouldn't have joined the opposing side." With that he returned to boasting with his adviser over their battles.

Piera walked in silence as she thought over what would one day become of these two siblings, and if the rumors of the fight for the throne were true then what would become of her no matter who won.

---***---

Furious from his meeting with Pymus, Santh had to explode on someone. Not only had his group lost that day in the tournament even though he had gone undefeated, the man he considered his surrogate father had been hiding his father's journals from him and now was demanding he read them.

As he stormed into the dirt court, the others were sitting under the wooden canopy. They had made a circle in the center between all the beds, but were not using the beds themselves. It appeared that Remus was drawing an imaginary image into the wooden floor with a stick. They looked rather down, but seemed to be attempting to make the best of their situation. Santh wanted originally to yell at Remus for his father's actions, but he decided that he could not win a battle of wits with the man and he did not wish for him to know what had occurred between him and his father.

"Lenore!" He screamed out her name before he even considered why he would call upon her.

The others looked up from the conversation. Authin was preparing for the ball and therefore was behind the broken down dorm for privacy, while the others were making plans to have their own enjoyable evening. Though Remus was being rather unreasonable and refused to give any of Ophelia's stock over to the gathering.

"She isn't here." Ophelia told Santh.

Everyone could tell that Santh was fuming, and when he punched the pillar of the canopy no one flinched. It was always best to not ask Santh why he was angry, because he was would never explain himself and would only make the one asking the questions into his target.

"Where is she?" He growled.

The entire group shrugged their shoulders from Remus to Ophelia all the way down to the commoners. To Santh's surprise he noticed that Krine was sitting on the canopy steps though he hadn't noticed her there before.

"Why do you always search the Princess out when you are angry?" Authin asked as he appeared around the corner with his red doublet embroidered with gold on. He looked rather princely to both the females of the group in those moments. The young man knew it as well and gave both of them a brief wink, which cause Ophelia to flush pink and for Remus to glare at both her and Authin.

"I do no such thing." Santh barked and didn't bother to take notice of his playful behavior towards the females in their presence.

"Actually, you do." Krine chimed in, which made the rest of the group feel safe enough to nod their heads in agreement.

Ophelia chuckled briefly, "I believe it is because she is the only one you truly trust." She could see the confusion in everyone's else so she continued. "She is the one that he can feel safe to take his anger out upon. He isn't truly yelling at her, but instead asking her to be the person that he can share his secrets with and show his emotions without any recourse."

"Uh, oh." Jolon motioned with his head toward Santh and they all turned his attention to him.

His chest was puffing up and he looked as if he might burst. His mouth opened to speak, but it was quickly closed before he turned around and stormed out of the court without another word spoken.

"It appears you were too close to the truth, Ophelia." Krine complimented the girl with a smile. "Mondue males do not appreciate when others know them more closely than the mate they have chosen."

"Is that true?" Anton asked.

Krine nodded. "Mondues are all taught to keep their emotions and thoughts to themselves and only share with a small few that they feel they can trust, and no one can be trusted more than your own life mate."

"So, he has chosen Lenore as his mate?" Authin looked surprised as he finished adjusting his attire.

She shrugged her shoulders gently, "I would say she is more of a surrogate mate as the reality of their coming together is slim."

---***---

The King sat alone at the dining table that evening. He promised Aletta and his son that he would join them at the ball later that night, but that he was feeling under the weather and needed to rest longer.

Of course, the truth was that he wished to meet with his cohorts and discover what has been occurring in his absence. What he had found thus far was a daughter that was unwilling to visit him, and he was curious as to why.

The dark cherry double doors opened and Pymus entered with the journal in his hands. He tossed it upon the table and then bit his bottom lip as he checked it to ensure that it was unharmed. "He refused it. He's as stubborn as his father and twice as frustrating!"

The King nodded his head as if he had expected it. "Keep the journal with you, and I will send the others as well."

Varden had trusted his friend, the King, to protect his journals and give them to his son when he felt he was old enough or in need. However, the King knew that Santh would never accept the journals from him but he might from a man that had raised him after his father's death.

"He seems rather embittered. I doubt he will ever ask for them, Lucius." Pymus informed him. There was little formality between the two when they were in private which was just how the King preferred it.

"He will ask." The King spoke with certainty. "A father can not leave a legacy to his child and the child not become curious as to what it might be. Not even Varden's warrior son is immune to the desire to know your own parent."

The double doors opened once again, and Lenore stepped into the room. Pymus was quick to scoop up the journal, but Lenore took notice of it though she said nothing.

"There is my daughter. Did you know she has been avoiding me the entire tournament, Pymus? Now, why would someone's child act this way?" He folded his hands on the table and glared at his daughter.

Pymus frowned, "No doubt, she has disappointed you or she is hiding something from you, your Majesty."

Lenore looked unamused by their attempts to toy with her. "Lord Grey, I need to speak with my father in private."

Pymus looked to his King to ask whether or not he should leave. He gave a nod, and therefore Pymus bowed to both the King and Princess before he exited the room and shut the doors behind him.

"So, tell me about your activities." The King asked. He was angry with his daughter for her behavior and did not bother with small talk at this point.

Lenore crossed her arms behind her back and understood that her father was upset. "I have focused less on the network and more on Lesatan. I am attempting to pass a school law that girls are accepted after their two years and will not be hassled by the male population. Lesatan is having a difficult time ignoring the pleas of his female school mates and that of his council that grows tired of hearing my speeches. He will have to break one way or another, but in which direction I am uncertain."

He nodded his head, "It is a good test to decide where his loyalties fall. If he sides with you than perhaps you have moved ahead of his mother, who would no doubt loathe such a law to pass." He seemed pleased. "Anything else to report?"

"Nothing that I feel has evolved enough to inform you of."

"Then onto more personal matters. You averted my guard and have ignored my requests for your presence. If you were anyone other than my daughter, there would be severe consequences for these actions." He leaned back in his chair. "I hope your reasons for these insults hold weight."

"After the last tournament, my attempts to speak with you only caused Aletta's alertness to heighten which in turn makes Lesatan more paranoid. As you know, he engaged himself to my friend in order to have more control over me. I was merely attempting a ploy to show no loyalty to you while Aletta's spies were watching." Lenore told her father proudly and looked rather smug when she finished.

"Spies, again?" The King grunted. "Are you certain?" He watched her nod her head. "Very well, I shall deal with this. Take your leave."

---***---

Piera finished dressing herself in the purple dress that Queen Aletta had set aside for her. The dress could have been beautiful with it's butterfly sleeves and the way the lace fell perfectly around her body, but the color was something she had to turn her nose up at. She remembered that Lenore had worn purple at the tournament ball before and she had wondered why. She supposed now she knew. It seemed to be the Queen's favorite color to dress her children in.

Once the servants had finished her make up and hair, they left and she waited in her room for Lesatan to come for her. After half an hour, a gentle knock tapped against the door which sounded nothing like the way Lesatan would approach the door.

Standing up from her bed, she opened it to reveal Armand. Her face held neither disappointment nor surprise that he had come instead, as Lesatan had seemed rather upset when his mother summoned him.

"I am afraid the Prince will be detained and has asked me to escort you to the ball until his arrival." Armand held out an arm, which Piera took. "The carriage awaits."

"Could we walk instead?" She asked as they made their way down the hallway.

The adviser gave no answer other than to nod. He knew that Lesatan would not be pleased that she arrived on foot to the ball, but he could tell that his future queen was stalling.

As they made their way into the court, Piera released his arm and walked over to the fountain. Other students from the dorm were hurrying to the ball themselves, and paid them no heed.

"Milady?" Armand came to stand behind her with his arms behind his back. "We can not be tardy."

"Will Lenore be there?" She asked as she looked into the clear fountain waters. There were coins inside, some of which were large enough to feed a servant's family for a month or more.

The adviser thought it was an odd question, but answered. "I highly doubt it. Lenore only made her presence known at the last ball because she was the champion. To come when her brother is now the champion would only cause bitterness between them as it would divert people's attentions from him to her." He waited for her to respond but she continued to look into the waters. "I doubt any of the Unmentionables come, though their parents will be there."

Piera turned around to look at him. Armand had his blonde hair pulled into a ponytail at the nap of his neck. He was dressed in a black doublet and looked to be the dashing rogue that everyone said he was, but in truth his personality was very different. He had been nothing but forthcoming with her and she felt he was the only one of the advisers that treated her like a future queen.

"Why are Lesatan and Lenore such rivals?" She asked with worry in her eyes.

It seemed to be a question without a simple answer and Armand took a deep breath as he tried to decide where to start. "When they were children they were very close. The Prince would count the days until Lenore would visit him for the six months out of the year. I remember he used to mark the days off in a calendar on his wall. The two would play with each other for hours, and when she returned to her mother's he was inconsolable. He would cry for days on end."

"What happened?" Piera asked now interested in a story she had not heard before about the two.

"The Queen happened, milady." He spoke so bluntly as if she was ridiculous for not knowing that was the answer. "As they grew older, the Queen placed a wedge between them. It was as if a child Lenore posed no threat, but a teenage Lenore would. She started to act when they were about nine or ten. She planned her moves well enough, and that wedge between them is so strong that I doubt it will ever be removed. If you look closely you can from time to time see those children in them who wish to play hide and seek. Lenore still calls Prince Lesatan by his nickname of Les, and once in a while Lesatan will call her Len or Lenny."

"What did she do to cause this wedge?" Piera asked as she moved closer to stand in front of him.

"You can look at someone that you once loved and all your heart can see is someone that wants what is yours and will kill you to have it, while they can look at you, though they once loved you, and know you will kill them to keep what is yours then there can be no love and no trust. No matter how one might try to overcome these suspicions." Armand held out his hand. "Come, we can not be late."

---***---

Lenore exited the dining hall to find Pymus standing in the hallway with the journal in his hand. Approaching him, she gave a brief smile and he bowed his head. "How did I know you would wish to speak to me?"
Pymus grinned, "I would assume, Princess, it is because you know that you have information that I desire."

"Remus and Ophelia's relationship?" She crossed her arms and watched as he nodded his head. "What of it?"

He swallowed and looked into her eyes. "Play no games with this poor heart, dear Princess. I must know to what extent their feelings have grown."

"Must you?" Lenore cocked her head to the side and watched as Pymus grew worried. She decided to end this game and simply tell him the truth. "I am afraid your fears are valid. They have grown rather close, and I would imagine that Remus believes he will assist her in taking back what she has lost."

Pymus leaned his back against the wall he had been leaning against while he waited for her. "I see."

"I humbly request that you inform Remus that he is your heir before their emotions and plans go too far." She knew that demanding it would only make the man more stubborn, and though humbling one's self was not fit for a princess, it was entirely fit for a friend trying to spare the feelings of another.

He slowly shook his head and took a deep breath, "I am afraid this is a heartbreak that most must endure at least once in their lifetime. If I step in the way at this junction then I would only cause resentment. They must act out their play for as long as necessary. I still have many plans that I must fulfill before Remus can be named my heir."

Lenore understood his reasoning though she did not agree with it.

"After all, Ophelia may never get her seat back and all this fretting will be for nothing. She is a sweet enough girl and I wouldn't mind her for a daughter." Pymus' frown turned into a smile.

"If I have anything to do with it, Ophelia will be returned her to rightful place." Lenore informed him defiantly.

"Well, if you place your touch upon it, then it is certain, milady."

She couldn't tell if he was patronizing her or not, but decided she didn't have time to become offended and begin an argument with the man.

"I request that you remain silent on this matter for a short time more, my Princess. It is for the good of all." He bowed his head, obviously he could tell that Lenore was becoming frustrated with this conversation.

"I will remain silent under one condition." Lenore dropped her arms to her side.

Pymus raised his eyebrows, "What condition is that, milady?"

Lifting her hand up, she pointed to the journal in his arms. "Allow me to give it to him."

He looked down at the journal and then back up to the Princess, before he smirked. "He has already tossed it back at me. Are you certain?"

She nodded her head and took the book when it was offered to her. "I read this when they were in my father's library nearly ten years ago. I had wondered when they would find their way into his arms or if they already had, and perhaps that is why he loathed me so."

Pymus knew he could say nothing and that she would have to discover some answers for herself. "If he refuses it, please return it to me."

Lenore didn't acknowledge his request and simply walked down the hallway as she looked at the journal in her hands.

---***---

Lesatan entered his mother's purple bedroom. It was the only room in the entire dorm that was not decorated with dark cherry woods with red and gold trims. As soon as he walked through the door, he shut it behind him though the guard that was stationed at the door had been more than willing. He located his mother in front of the fire place with a book in her hands as she sat on one of the over stuffed brown chairs.

Aletta stood from the chair and placed the book upon it. She wore a long flowing purple ball dress that seemed to dance around her with every movement she made. The Queen laid her eyes on her son and did not look pleased. Though she had eaten with him every night of the tournament, she had found her son was not appeasing her when she asked for a private audience with him. Instead, he hid behind his father's presence.

"Your letters have become more scarce, Lesatan." She told him as she walked across the bear skin rug and came to stand before him. "I feel as if I have been left completely in the dark when it comes to both your engagement and the progress that you are making with your father's bastard."

He lowered his eyes and swallowed before answering her. "I am letting her be for now. She doesn't seem to be doing anything that would make me take offense."

"Take offense? You are not watching her to ensure she doesn't insult you. Every thing she does should be of concern to you." Aletta growled as she folded her hands in front of her. "The beauty of her genius is that she can undermine you right before your eyes and because you were not truly looking you never saw the dagger."

"I..."

She interrupted him because she could already tell he was attempting to defend her. "Your father would prefer that she take the throne. He would rather his bastard child be his heir than the blood of a Vinson, do you understand this? You can never forget how cunning Lenore is."

Lesatan swallowed once more and sighed. "Mother, Piera thinks differently of Lenore."

With a loud laugh, Aletta threw up her arms. "The girl that Lenore placed at your side speaks highly of her? Well, if her little spy believes in her than we should as well." She slowly shook her head. "What has become of you that you would believe that child will do you no wrong? Do you not realize that you are the only obstacle in her path?"

He didn't know how to answer his mother's questions, but he didn't like what she had said of Piera. "My bride-to-be is not one of Lenore's spies."

His cheek stung immediately and he grabbed hold of it as the Queen brought down her hand. Lesatan could not believe in those moments that his mother had actually slapped him, but he could say nothing to her in response. Her eyes were full of anger and something that he couldn't place... fear, perhaps.

"I carried you within my own body for many months. I ensured your existence by making a man that loathed me into a man that would actually touch me. Not because I needed a loving husband, but because I wanted you in this world, Lesatan." She spoke low and her eyes did not move away from his own. "I have sacrificed for you so often that I feel that there may be nothing left of the woman I once was. Yet, I ask for nothing but for you to protect yourself from a very open and known threat. As for this Piera, know that I am the only one who can lay claim to suffering through labor to birth you and therefore it can only be me that truly cares for your life. Do you understand?"

Stilling holding his cheek, he nodded his head.

Aletta was now satisfied that she had return her son to his place and reached out to grab his hand. When she saw the red mark on his cheek, she sighed audibly. "Come, let's place some powder upon it so there will be no questions."

---***---

Santh was returning from the drinking den. He found that the ale had calmed him enough that he could return to the dorms without taking his anger out on Lenore. He knew that in many ways Ophelia had been right and he did search Lenore out whenever he was angry. The reasons were not that clear to him though he knew that there was something he felt for her and he had been clear enough to Krine when he explained it, but even now the questioned loomed.

Once the flowered court was in sight, he saw a figure sitting on the marbled benches. The closer he grew the more he could make out who the figure was, and once her face was crystal clear he could see the journal in her hands.

Lenore had it opened and was looking through the words of his father. Santh's anger rose immediately, and he was about to charge over to her and rip the item from her, but he stopped in his tracks when she raised her hand to her face. She was crying.

He had never seen her cry and had no idea how to handle her in those moments. He watched as she closed the journal and gently stroked it's spine, before hugging it closely to her chest. When she stood up, he was quick to move behind the nearby trees and head toward the dorm so that she wouldn't know he had seen her.

Lenore took the dirt path down to the dorms and found her dorm mates sitting on their beds except for Ophelia who was sharing Remus' bed. Every one knew that their last meal at the dorm would be delivered shortly while the sounds of the ball and other celebrations were occurring around them.

She swore that the dorm mates had plans to celebrate together, but no one seemed to have fetched any of the ale or pastries. As she stepped into the dirt court, Authin was close behind her and the group looked up to him.

He shrugged his shoulders and tossed his hands in the air. "My partner did not come to the location where we were to meet. I suppose I am the victim of a prank."

As this was said the servants arrived with their meals. Lenore noticed then that someone had placed a large blanket in the corner of the dirt court for the group to have a picnic. There were some bottles of ale laid out, and everyone made their way toward the blankets once the food was laid out for them.

Walking over to the platform, Lenore laid the journal inside Santh's blankets and then walked over to the group.

In the nearby woods, Santh had watched every thing unfold and knew the book would be waiting for him that evening. He wanted to feel angry that it was once again in his possession, but he wanted to thank Lenore for giving it to him in a way that he wouldn't have to take it from someone.

Stepping out into the dirt court, he walked over to the blanket and took a seat beside Lenore which is where the only unclaimed meal laid.

"It has been a disappointing day, has it?" Ophelia asked when they all remained quiet as they ate, and she become uncomfortable.

Lenore looked up with a smirk on her lips. "It doesn't matter that we have lost today. It only matters if we do not try next time."

Everyone nodded in agreement except for Santh, who glared at her out of the corner of his eye. His father used to tell him such a line whenever he had failed. He knew he could say nothing to Lenore though he did wonder why she had been crying while she read the journal.
It was an answer he decided he would only receive by reading the journal himself. There were more than just the one and he knew it well, but how he would come by those would be a problem for another day. Tonight, he would do what he swore he never would; read the naïve words of his father, no matter how painful it might be.