Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(CH2) Chapter 5: More Enthusiasm

Riane had been texted where to meet her friends for lunch that afternoon. She went to the cafeteria to get her lasagna and had noticed Blake sitting amongst Adonia and her friends. He gave a motion towards her with his head to acknowledge her, but left her alone after that.

Heading behind one of the school buildings nearby, she found Dalen and Seth sitting together with burgers they had gotten from the school as well. It wasn't unusual for Seth to follow his friend's lead and get the same meal as him.

Sitting down on the steps in between them as that was where Dalen had patted the stair, they all began to eat their meals in relative quiet.

“You changed sides rather quickly this morning.” Dalen told his friend. He had been waiting to have this conversation with him, but had wanted Riane to be present for it.

He shrugged, “Riane made sense, and besides if I had gone with Julian I would have been stuck listening to his rants all day.”

“You two don't sound like you like him very much.” Riane had wondered during the day why his friends had chosen her over him.

“Julian is our friend, but honestly he kind of just showed up on the first day of school and spotted us standing together. He came up introduced himself and then just took over. Neither one of us knew what was going on and just kind of went with it.” Dalen explained before taking a bite out of his burger. “I should have gone with cheddar. This Monterrey jack is kind of plain, even with the peppers.”

“I told you.” Seth seemed to take a momentary pleasure in his friend's dissatisfaction.

“Mind if I pick your brains about him for a second?” She was afraid they would say no, but they both turned their attention to her though Seth was picking at his french fries. “Why is Julian like this? He always seems to be ready to blow at any moment.” Riane thought it was best to understand him in order to counteract whatever he had in store for her.

Dalen shrugged, “He is an intelligent guy who has no emotional understanding, I think. He views people as if they are tools and I thought he might be a sociopath, but I think he feels empathy towards others. I know he has it for animals. He loves them but his little brother is allergic.”

Seth agreed with a nod, “Yeah, he told us when he was younger he used to volunteer at the no kill shelter. When he went on his little walk about around the world, he came back and started just donating money to it. They have a plaque on the wall in the main hall dedicated to him.”

“So, there is kindness somewhere deep inside.” Riane mumbled to herself though it was loud enough for them both to hear.

“Maybe try puppy dog eyes whenever he acts like an ass.” Seth joked, but Riane thought of it more of a suggestion.

“I still don't understand his hatred towards women. Was he scorned or something?” Riane pour a couple packets of Parmesan cheese on her lasagna, before taking another bite.

Both men looked incapable of answering her question, but Dalen responded. “I have never heard anything, and believe me he rants about everything. Whenever he rants about women though, it's like he sees them as tools just like everyone else.”

“Maybe it's because he never grew up with kids his own age. That could have warped his brain. Being a ten year old around teenagers and not understanding that they are just talking trash.” Seth added.

“Hmm, never thought of it that way. Could be.” Dalen stuck out his bottom lip a little as he thought about it.

“You said that he is very good with women in clubs, right?” She watch them nod. “So, how come that doesn't transfer over to the girls he actually likes?”

“Self destruction? I think he might be afraid of a long term commitment and perhaps that means if he has feelings for someone he wants to make them detest him so it is unattainable.” Seth surprised them both by saying it.

“You are really insightful today, man.” Dalen was half teasing and half complimenting him.

Riane chuckled at the comment before noticing movement in the distance. The head that had been looking around the corner of the building quickly hid behind it, but not before she could tell that it was Julian.

“We are being watched.” Riane told them and motioned in the direction she had seen him. She was not worried that he had overheard them as he was some distance away.

“By whom?” Dalen asked as he looked towards the other building.

“Julian!” Riane called out his name. “We saw you! Why don't you come eat lunch with us?” She waited several seconds and no one made an appearance. “Guess he left.”

“Are you certain it was him?” Seth stood up from his spot on the stairs and laid his tray down before heading over to the corner. He looked around the area for a moment before returning, “ New looking cigarette butts are on the ground. If it was him, he chained smoked over there for a bit.”

Dalen rolled his eyes, “I'll talk to him after school. This is just ridiculous.”

As Seth picked up his tray and sat back down on the stairs, the figure reappeared but this time Julian slowly walked over to them.

“Don't make any sudden moves, you'll startle him like a deer.” Seth whispered and everyone chuckled.

Not giving any of them eye contact, Julian slowly lowered himself down onto a stair in front of Dalen. He had his hands in his pockets and said nothing, but it was obvious that he had been lonely without his friends checking in on him during the morning.

“Want some french fries?” Seth offered.

Julian looked up at his friend's tray and reached out to take a few before leaning back and slowly chewing on them.

Riane couldn't help but be endeared by him. He looked like a little kid who was scolded but still wanted to be part of the festivities even if he would pout while doing it. She understood though. That morning she had stolen his friends and he couldn't even manage one whole day without them. It seemed that he burned very hot but it was always quick to fizzle out.

“Did you eat?” Riane asked.

Julian glared up at her and seemed to be trying not to choke on his words. “No.”

She offered out her lasagna to him, “I ate half of it, but its good. Want it?”

He continued to frown as he took the tray from her, and used her fork to get the meal. He did not show any gratitude, but it wasn't what Riane was looking for anyway. She knew he wouldn't die from missing one meal and that he could afford to go to the cafeteria to get his own. This was about extending an olive branch and hoping he would accept it, though she didn't know if that would work at home. This felt like a university peace agreement only.

She was actually relieved as she had expected this to go on for weeks or months before he was too lonely. She also thought that Dalen and Seth might start feeling bad for him and take days to hang out with him instead, which would eventually lead to them hanging out with him all together and her being completely abandoned.

“We are going out for pizza later to celebrate.” Seth informed him.

“Celebrate what?” He asked as he stuffed his face with the meal.

“Riane's first day attending school in girl clothes.” Dalen explained before turning to her. “Speaking of which, how has your day been? Anything happen?”

She shook her head with a smile, “Not one word from anyone. All that fear and nothing happened. I am disappointed in some ways.”

He and Seth laughed, but Julian kept a straight face.

“Why even bother? You look better as a guy anyway.” Julian mumbled with a mouth full of food.

“I have always been denied this by my mother and then by myself. I want to see which one of these I really am.” She told him and he merely grunted at the response which she assumed was acceptance.

---***---

Riane found herself at home after a short pizza dinner with everyone. Julian had driven her home as Joe wanted to go over to Dalen's house. Upon arriving home, Nanette had commented about the two of them coming home together which only garnered a glare and an angry grunt from Julian before he charged up the stairs.

Entering the living room, she found Zack helping Bryce with some of his schoolwork which was slightly surprising to witness, but she said nothing as she sat down on the couch and pulled out her own books and laptop.

Nanette came into the room with a bowl of fruit and set it on the table, “A snack for your studying.” She told her. “Share with the boys.” Her eyes then turned to her youngest son. “Zack, you should offer to help her if she needs it.”

“The only thing I'll help her with; is showing her the front door.” He hissed with more venom and hatred then Julian had ever shown her.

“Zachary!” Nanette snapped.

“It's alright. I have very little work today and I can get it done rather quickly.” Riane didn't want to argue with him or see him get in trouble. “I was wondering if I could use the music room. I haven't practiced in a long time. My dad got rid of my piano, and I would love to play some. If it wouldn't bother everyone.”

“That would be lovely, and don't worry about being too loud it's relatively sound proof.” Nanette seemed to forget his son's actions all together. “When you feel you have practiced enough, you'll have to give me a performance.”

Riane giggled, “Sure, I will see about writing something in your honor.”

“Writing something? Well, that sounds exciting.” She smiled, “I'll let you three get back to your studies.”

As she did her math homework, she came across an equation that left her stumped and without thinking she texted the group chat to ask for help. Dalen was out with Joe, so he wouldn't respond and she knew that Julian wouldn't help her. That left only Seth, who had been sulking at the attention Dalen had been getting from Joe earlier.

“Uh, fuck if I know.” Was the reply she received from Seth almost immediately.

She sighed and replied back, “It was worth a shot.”

She decided to continue passed the equation and return to it once her mind was warmed up more. Looking across the room, she witnessed Zack sitting next to his brother as he mouthed assistance to him though she couldn't hear what they were saying. She didn't know if he normally whispered when helping or if he thought he was keeping her from his assistance. She doubted that her and Bryce were even doing the same subject, let alone the same level class with the same professor.

Another text came and she saw Dalen's reply. “Is this where you use the FOIL system?”

“No, that's algebra. This is precalculus.” She replied with a small smirk on her lips.

Returning her attention to her laptop, she continued to work for several moments and finally finished her sheet. It came time to return to the problem that stumped her and she quickly tried to give an answer as she decided she would just get that one marked as wrong.

Turning to a paper she had been working on for the last month, she began to do some more research on the housing market and her theory of how to assist it.

“You are doing basic graphs, right?” Julian's voice came from the doorway.

All three people in the room looked up to him, but none was more surprised than Zack who had firmly believed that his brother was on his side. He looked betrayed to see him help the intruder in anyway.

“Um, yes.” Riane replied.

“That's hard to explain via text.” He told her as he came over to the couch and sat down beside her. “It's easier if you watch someone else do it first, which you should have seen in class.”

“Math has never been my strong suit.” She informed him as he picked up her laptop and placed it on his own lap.

“What the hell is this?” He looked at the paper that was on the screen.

A smile came to her lips. “Oh, it's my paper about real estate crash and how to prevent from the bubble occurring again. It's exciting, I think...”

“I thought you liked music. Is this for a business management course?” Julian curled his lip. “Boring shit.”

“Well, it's my major.” She informed him before reaching over and removing the offending paper from his sight and opening up her math homework.

Julian went silent for a moment as he looked it over before slowly turning his head towards her. “These are all wrong. Do you even pay any attention in class?”

“How can they be all wrong?” She frowned and realized that Bryce and Zack were watching them from across the room.

“Well, obviously you did it wrong.” Julian snapped at her.

Nanette entered the room when she heard Julian's voice, but decided not to say anything when she realized that he was helping her with her homework. She did, however, decide to stand guard just in case Julian got out of hand.

Over the next hour, Riane practiced with him before he gave her back her homework and watched her as she redid everything. When she was done, he looked it over for her and handed it back with a slight grin.

“Good, you learned. I think you'll get a ninety two percent.” He stood from the couch and noticed his mother standing there watching him. His eyes lowered briefly before he turned back to Riane.

“Only ninety two? What did I get wrong?” She scrolled up and down on the laptop as she tried figure out her mistakes.

“I am not going to tell you, but don't change anything unless I tell you that's the problem otherwise you'll make the score worse.” He informed her as he hoped his mother was no longer behind him.

“Alright, thank you.”

He shook his head, “Whatever. I just didn't want my message tune going off anymore over this stupid shit.”

“Thank you anyway.”

Shrugging his shoulders, he turned to leave but decided to ask one more thing of her. “If I go back to my room, are you going to send out another text over a topic or am I safe?”

She looked at her laptop for a moment, “Well, I have biology homework tonight as well.”

With a sigh, Julian tossed himself back on the couch beside her. “Let's see it.”

Nanette smiled gently at him though he didn't see, before she turned her eyes towards Bryce who widened his eyes at her with surprise. She winked at him before heading back into the hallway.

“What are you doing?” Zack asked from across the room, but quickly walked over to them and snatched her laptop away. “Why are you helping her?”

Julian stood up and yanked the computer away from him. “Go help, Bryce.” He held it out to her with one hand and when she took it, he shoved his younger brother which made him take a couple steps back.

“Julian!” Bryce snapped and jumped to his younger brother's rescue. He quickly put himself between the two of them with him facing Julian. “Keep your hands off him.”

“He didn't keep his hands off her shit!”

“It's alright.” Riane said meekly as she had never experienced the brothers act this way before and was worried about the outcome.

“He was wrong, and he won't do it again.” Bryce turned to Zack, “Right?”

Zack nodded slowly, “Right.”

---***---

After Riane finished her homework, she went to find the piano room. It wasn't hard to find the room across from the ballet studio and inside were many different instruments all in various shapes. It looked as if they had purchased the instruments for the children on a whim, and immediately they had been put down and forgotten.

Some were in cases and others were out in the open, leaning against walls or just on the shelves lining the room. Music sheets were still on the stands were they had been left during their last attempt to be played.

In a way the room was rather sad to look at for Riane. If her father had been a different person; this would have been her favorite room in their house. It might have even been her bedroom.

Walking over to the piano, she smiled as she sat down on the bench. It was a black grand piano like the one her father had purchased, but eventually removed from the house. Memories of playing with her mother swept over her.

Her mother had taught her how to play and she remembered playing when her father was in the room. He would smile and clap for her. She was certain that he had praised her for playing when she was young. There was a very small memory of her parents dancing together as she played a song for them. There had been happiness once between them, but one day it was gone.

It hadn't been more than a few months since she last played but somehow this felt different. She felt free to play it and not like her father would walk in on her to ask if she finished her homework. If she said yes, he would give her one of his own essay topics for her to write. Sometimes, she wondered if he disliked her playing it because of the memories it brought of her mother. Did he know how kindly she looked on those moments? Did it show in her face or her eyes somehow? He loathed any talk of her mother and it wouldn't surprise her if he didn't want her to even think about her.

Her fingers ran over the fall board before slowly lifting it up to reveal the keys. She looked them over and touched each one. A lightness lights her heart as she thought about every song she could think of to play. She couldn't decide what to play after so long away and then she smiled as she thought of the first song she learned.

Using only her index fingers, she began to play “Chopsticks” and laughed to herself as she played faster and faster.

She didn't notice Zack enter the room. He had come to do what Julian obviously was no longer willing to do, but he instead stood and watched. She was laughing, but she looked like she might start crying at any moment.

When she was done; she ran her hand over her pant legs and seemed to ready herself to play something else.

“Even I can do that song.” Zack hissed at her.

She startled briefly before looking up at him. “I haven't played in a long while, so I wanted something to warm up to. My mom taught me that as my first song. She and I used to play it together. Her on one side of the keyboard and me on the other. Want to try it?”

He simply stood by the door with his arms crossed and a deep frown on his lips.

“Come on. It will be fun, especially as we increase the tempo.” She used one hand to wave him over.

Dropping his hands to the side, he walked over to her and sat on the other side of the bench. He continued to give her the stink eye, but placed his fingers on the proper keys.

She started slow so he could remember how to play again and get his coordination going once more. However after a couple rounds of that, she increased the tempo and soon Zack began to smile as she giggled along with the song.

“Oh, you almost messed up.” She teased.

“No, I didn't.” He said as he hit the wrong key, but continued to smile as she increased the temp again until finally Zack could no longer keep up with her.

The two laughed when he put his hands up in the air to surrender.

“Too fast.” He chuckled. “Can you play real songs very fast?”

“I am a little out of practice, but I used to be able to play 'Flight of the Bumblebee' pretty quickly.” She looked down at the keys and then back up at him. “How long did you take lessons before you lost patience?”

He shrugged his shoulders, “Enough to learn chopsticks, but not much else. It's frustratingly slow to learn.”

“It takes a lot of practice, but if you enjoy doing it then it really isn't work at all.” She explained with a grin. “If you view learning the instrument as torture than maybe it is the wrong one for you.”

He looked around the room, “Most of these are my brothers' failed projects. My mom was always focused on the piano for me.”

“Do you want to try some of the others? They might not be the right size for you, but we can give them a shot.” She stood up from the bench and walked to the other side of the room.

“You can play all of these?” He asked as he followed behind her.

She nodded, “Mostly. I may not be a master, but I learn instruments very quickly. It is like they are my life blood. Whenever I was sad or lonely, I would play something and the music would take me out of the world into my own little garden that no one could bother me in. Other songs though can be a battle march for when something difficult is about to happen.”

“You can just listen to it though. It would have the same affect.” He began to open some of the cases to see what instrument was inside.

“It's different when you play it yourself. It is like you are announcing yourself and telling the world what is in your heart.” She watched him open a case. “Flutes are light and fun.”

“They are for girls.” He shut the case and heard her chuckle behind him.

He continued to look through them and close them as if none called to him. Though he never tried to actually pick one up and toy with it. His decision was based on what he thought of the instrument instead of how it made him feel when he played it.

Riane noticed this and picked up the violin. “Come here. Let's try this.”

“That's for country music singers' bands.” He grumbled.

She smiled and shook her head, “This is for whatever you want it to be for. You won't be locked into some predetermined bubble just because you believe they exist.”

Picking it up out of the case, Riane held it out to him and helped him settle it on his shoulder and showed him where his fingers should go. She didn't hand him the bow though and instead told him to pluck a few cords.

She told him which one until it was obvious he was playing “Mary had a Little Lamb” and he smiled at her.

A clap came from the doorway and Nanette stood with a smile on her lips. “Very good, Zack. Do you like the violin?”

He lowered the instrument down and frowned before putting it back in its case.

“We are trying out a few instruments and seeing if any of them sing to him.” Riane explained to his excited mother.

“Oh, that is wonderful. How many have you tried?”

“Other than the piano, this was his first one.” Riane noticed that Zack no longer looked amused in this situation.

“It's not like I am going to learn any of them. Don't get your hopes up. We were just playing around.” He hissed at his mother though he seemed to try to maintain a more respectful tone than Julian did.

“I never said anything to that extent.” Nanette realized that she might have damaged a bonding moment between the two.

Zack turned to Riane, “I can't wait until you leave. You really are making this house unbearable to live in.” He snapped before rushing out the door.

---***---

A warm fall turned to cold winter and the snow began to fall on Cerulean Harbor. Dresses and sweaters turned to pants and coats but inside the Swithin household the environment remained constant.

Julian remained cold and distant towards everyone though willing to help Riane in her studies. Zack would occasionally be caught watching Riane practice and though she had tried to convince him to play something he would always sulk away. He remained her most vocal opponent. Bryce had been kind in the last couple of months though he had not invited her anywhere since the party debacle.

Riane was the most changed, however. Her new style gave her confidence she didn't know she had and she was finally able to discover who she wanted to be, and not what someone else wanted from her. She was letting her hair grow out for the first time in her life and though it wasn't even close to shoulder length, it was getting near chin length.

She had learned not only from Nanette but videos online about how to do her make-up, which she now enjoyed putting on herself. She even liked when Nanette took her to the beauty and nail salon. It was fun to pick out new nail colors.

Never being allowed to do these types of things, she just naturally assumed they were stupid in order to not want them. However, now that she was confident and capable to do them, she looked forward to being a little girly from time to time.

Joe and Dalen had become closer and had even started calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend, though they still both blushed whenever the other one said it. They were a sweet couple and Riane was happy that her friend was happy.

She hadn't talked to Blake and Adonia since the party, and slowly their missing presence was diminishing. She saw them both at school and her heart ached whenever she noticed them in the middle of a romantic moment, but she was beginning to let go.

Sitting in the car on her way to class, Riane held her phone in her hand as she waited for Dalen's daily text message about her coffee that he always bought the two girls in the morning. She knew he was only doing it for her because he was trying to be nice, but there was something in the gesture that made her slightly jealous of Joe.

Her phone beeped and she looked at the message, “He said they were out of hazelnut, so he got regular and put hazelnut flavored cream in it.”

“That will have to do, won't it?” Joe smiled as they made their way to the school.

Riane hadn't spoken to her brother or her father in over a month, though Deidra sent her messages every couple of days to check on her.

Things were going rather smoothly since she moved in. Her only concern was that Julian seemed to be very quiet at school and she would often catch him staring at Adonia, while she was watching Blake. She hadn't noticed before she moved in but since they stopped hanging out behind the gym due to the cold, she realized how much he actually liked the girl. She wondered how they knew each other and why he liked her so much. It probably had to do with wanting what you can't have as that seemed to be the way Julian would fall in love.

On occasion if they walked by them, Julian would hold Riane's hand. At first, she thought it was him trying to console her on the close proximity and the fact that Blake barely acknowledged her, however it became clear that he was trying to see if he could make Adonia jealous. As soon as they passed and he got no sort of recognition of the hand hold he would immediately drop it. Adonia had noticed a couple of times and had once looked back as if to make sure her eyes were seeing the truth.

She had then whispered to Blake who had turned to see it for himself. The way he looked mildly surprised and then shrugged his shoulder before saying something to Adonia had been rather painful to see. He hadn't been jealous at all.

Julian and Riane never discussed what he was doing and neither did Seth or Dalen. It seemed to be an unspoken rule that the act would be unspoken of.

Pulling up to the gate, Dalen rushed over to the car and opened the passenger side door to let Riane out, before handing her a paper cup of coffee with a plastic lid. He would then climb into the car briefly to give Joe her own cup and a quick kiss before sending her off to school.

Seth was waiting by the gate and as per usual the Swithin boys' car was behind her own. It pulled up as Riane gave the two men her greetings and thanked Dalen for the coffee once more.

Everyone was wearing thick coats with gloves and a hat to cover the ears. Riane's had a faux fur around the edge on her matching hat and gloves. The entire campus looked like stuffed bears due to the many layers they were wearing.

Bryce walked by and gave a greeting before heading over to his own friends, and Julian came to join them. Seth held a cup of coffee for his friend which Julian took and began to drink slowly. He complained about the cold far more than anyone else.

“So fucking cold today.” He mumbled.

“It's the middle of winter.” Dalen sighed before looking at Riane. “So, are you coming with us?” He gave her his best puppy dog face as she looked unconvinced. “It's winter break. Let's go somewhere warm, come on. Joe is coming and Seth is bringing a girl, and Julian is... well, he'll be there too. It will be lacking if you aren't there.”

“I don't think Julian wants me there.” She explained.

Julian scoffed, “Don't put words in my damn mouth. I said it would be difficult to get girls if they knew my fiancee was nearby.”

Seth brought his brows together, “Isn't that what she just said?”

“I didn't say she couldn't come or I didn't want her there. I just don't want her telling people we are engaged. Fuck, say anything honest and you people turn it into a rejection.” Julian snapped before looking annoyed that a couple people brushed passed him as he was standing in the shoveled walkway.

“I have also never gone on vacation before.” She took a sip of her coffee. “It would be very weird.”

Seth put his arm around her shoulder and squeezed her neck playfully, before speaking into her ear. “No more talk, you are coming with us. It's a small island with a few other people, and you'll help me with this new girl. Alright?”

“Help you?” She questioned.

“Yeah, like be friendly to her so she doesn't feel like the odd one out since she isn't part of our group.” He began to walk with his arm still over her shoulder towards her classroom. Dalen and Julian followed close behind them.

Riane sighed, “Fine, but I refuse to wear a bathing suit.” She didn't know why she had said that but decided it was just her way to exert some sort of control. She loved swimming but it was scarey to in a swim suit in front of strangers.

He kissed her forehead before letting her go, which was something that he had been doing since learning she was a girl. “Bring one in case you change your mind.”

She groaned, “Fine.”

Dalen shook her shoulder, “It will be fun. I promise.”

“We'll see.” She mumbled before Seth was shoved out of the way and her hand was held by Julian.

He waved over at Adonia and Blake as they were heading off to class from where ever they were congregating in the morning now.

They both waved back at him as Riane sighed audibly and gave Dalen a look that told of her annoyance. He returned the look with an eye roll as it was very obvious what Julian was up to, but no one understood what his goal in all this was.

He dropped her hand when they got to her classroom. “Don't forget to turn in your homework.” Julian said softly before walking away from the group.

“See you at lunch.” She told the last two men before heading into the building.

---***---

Lunch time rolled around and Blake found himself sitting in the cafeteria with Adonia and her friends. When he arrived, he noticed Riane and her new friends sitting at the table in the corner. They had started to eat inside when it started snowing. He had also seen Julian go into his classes during the day to keep warm.

Sitting down he watched as Riane chatted and laughed with her friends. He had been giving her space as she had requested, but for a time lunch was easier with her out of sight and out of mind. Now, there was a constant reminder that she had just given up on their friendship. He felt betrayed and he felt jealous that someone else had taken his best friend.

“It's weird that he holds her hand whenever we see him.” Adonia said when she realized that her boyfriend was not in the conversation that her and her friends were having.

That seemed to bring his attention back to the table. Blake shrugged, “Maybe they are really dating now. It is hard to imagine that she would like anyone like that, but I guess I didn't really understand her anyway.”

Kalei swallowed down her cracker, “He could just be difficult to the general public. Like he puts up a wall but on the inside when you are alone with him, he is a sweet guy.”

“You have been watching too many rom-coms, Kal.” Parker teased. “That guy is a jerk through and through. If she does have a thing for him then there is something wrong in her brain.”

“Don't say things like that. She is his friend.” Kalei chided.

Parker looked over at Blake with slight horror in her eyes, “I am sorry. My mouth went before my brain.”

He shook his head, “It's quite alright.”

Adonia scoffed, “There is no way. This is a game that Julian is playing and she is the pawn. She couldn't go from liking someone like Blake, who is gentle and kind to that little monster.”

Blake did not like how comfortable she was admitting that Riane like him romantically, even though it meant she was secure in their relationship. It felt like a slight to his friend at times, like she was saying that Riane could never be with someone like him, which was a strange thing to be annoyed over.

“Well, whatever the situation, it is not ours to fix.” Blake spoke calmly before returning to his bowl of chili. “Nor should we discuss it. That only creates gossip.”

The girls nodded their heads and return to their discussion of their weekend plans, which more than likely would include him.

Blake, however, watched the table where Riane sat. Julian and she had their backs to him while Seth and Dalen sat on the other side. He tried to ensure that he didn't make eye contact with them, though he was certain that they had caught him in the past.

Julian didn't seem very boyfriend-like in those moments even if they were sitting next to each other. He didn't reach over to touch her and mostly he seemed to just be concentrating on his meal and not engaging in the conversation much.

Of course, he realized that he was doing the exact same thing to his girlfriend and his attention was on another person not a meal. He sighed audibly as he turned back to his chili which was getting colder by the moment.

“We could go see a movie.” Parker offered.

“We don't like the same things, and one of us would be bored the entire time.” Kalei told her as she continued to put together her cheese, salami, and crackers that she had brought from home. She preferred appetizers to actual meals. “I wish you and I had a boyfriend. We could have a couple night that would be fun, wouldn't it?”

Adonia clasped her hands together, “Oh, that would be so much fun.” Her eyes turned to Blake. “Let's invite Julian and Riane out for a couple's night, then we could really see the truth for ourselves. I mean if they say yes.”

Kalei and Parker looked annoyed that they had been left out of the conversation and simply returned to their meal.

Blake shook his head, “I am not interested in investigating them, Adonia. Besides, when did you turn into a wanna-be super spy?”

She frowned, “It would also give us a reason to see Riane that would be the more pressing issue, but I am dying to know the truth.” She pushed him with her shoulder. “Come on.”

Blake sighed, “If you want to go ask fine, but I am not going with you. I am giving her space.”

She jumped from her seat and hurried over to the table.

“Oh, please, no movie has ever said a jedi could do that.” Seth snapped, “Riane, he is lying to you. That only happens in video games.”

“Video games are canon.” Dalen snapped at him.

“Not since Disney bought them and said nothing was canon anymore.” Julian mumbled while staring down at his bowl of clam chowder.

Riane sat lost having never seen what they were discussing. She simply ate her chili and smiled as the three of them argued.

“Um, Riane.” Adonia approached and placed her hand gently on her shoulder. “Hey, hi!”

Riane turned in her chair to look at her, “Um, hi.” She hadn't been expecting this and instantly her gut clenched up.

“So, Blake and I were wondering if you wanted to go on a double date with us?” Her eyes looked hopefully, even if she was inviting Julian into her life which was a vomit inducing idea.

“Uh, what?” Riane had no idea what she was talking about.

“A couples' date night. You and Julian with me and Blake.” She continued to smile but tried her best not to look at the man beside her.

Julian sat up in his chair and placed his hand on Riane's shoulder. “Sure, we'd like to go on a double date.”

“We would?” Riane asked the man who had been giving her mostly the cold shoulder for the last couple of months.

“Yeah, it'll be fun.” He shook his shoulder gently, “Go on, say yes. She won't take my word for it.”

Riane frowned deeply at him before turning to Adonia, “Sure, Friday?”

“Great!” She clasped her hands together and hurried away as if she was afraid that they might change their minds.

“What was that about?” Riane turned to face him.

Julian smiled, “Hanging out with them gives me a chance with her and you a chance at him. It is a win win for us.”

“Oh, for fuck's sake, Jules!” Dalen barked. “You aren't seriously suggesting being friends with them in order to break them up.”

“That's messed up.” Seth added.

He shrugged his shoulders, “If they are that easily broken then they shouldn't have been together in the first place.” He turned his attention to Riane, “What do you say? I'll monopolize her and you'll get him. Before long, we both have what we want.”

Riane looked uneasy about the idea. “I have been trying to stay away from him so that I don't have any more feelings for him.”

“Is it working?” He watched her shake her head slightly, “You win either way, because either one you get him or two you get closure. So, what do you say? Partners?” He held out his hand for her to shake.

“I say he sounds like he has been planning this for a while now, and it explains the fucking hand holding. Don't follow along, Riane.” Dalen warned.

She thought for a moment before putting out her hand and shaking his own. “Partners.”

For the first time in a while, Julian gave her a genuine smile and turned back to his friends to talk about movies with much more enthusiasm.

---***---

Upon arriving home, Julian announced that he would be helping Riane in her room with her homework. It was strange to Riane that Nanette smiled and seemed just fine with Julian taking her up to a bedroom, but she supposed that the woman trusted her. She knew too well that his mother did not trust Julian in the least.

In the couple of months she had been here, she had caught him sneaking out multiple times. Each case came with a punishment from his father that ended with Nanette getting tired of enforcing it and allowing Julian to have whatever was taken away from him. By the time that Colin returned from his outing, he either seemed to not care that it was returned or did not remember taking it away.

In fact, Colin didn't seem to pay much attention to Julian other than when he was punishing him. The two would sit through an entire meal and never say a word to each other. In many ways, it was hard to watch as Colin would laugh and chat with his other two sons freely.

Riane initially blamed Colin as her natural instinct was to blame her own father, but there were times when Colin tried to speak to his son and either got snapped at, a rude comment, or ignored completely. This would upset him and he would start lecturing his son. Julian would simply act like a jerk and be punished once more. It was as if he enjoyed this type of attention from his father and perhaps it was the only attention he knew how to get.

Colin spoke politely to her but she still felt like a stranger in the house whenever he was home. Though, Riane thought it was perhaps because he felt more like the stranger than her. In the two months she had lived there, she thought she could total two weeks of Colin being at home. Nanette said he was working on a big project and he wasn't normally gone this often, but Julian grunted a disagreement that went ignored.

Nanette sometimes seemed alone, bored, and brokenhearted. She had been a ballet dancer before she had children. That was how her and Colin met as he was friends with a man who owned the studio she practiced in. She hadn't gone into any detail other than saying once she was pregnant, she decided to stay at home with her children. She had made a joke about her unhealthy eating habits as a ballerina and then the conversation ended with a change of subject.

The two seemed happy when they were together, at least compared to her father and Deidra. She was treated more like a third child by her father. Colin and Nanette were affectionate with one another and she seemed genuinely happy when he returned home, but she returned to her sadness when he left again.

She could hear Nanette late at night talking to her husband on the phone for over an hour each evening. It was a strange dynamic to her and she worried about the woman who had become somewhat of a friend to her.

Entering the bedroom, Julian seemed stunned for a moment. He had been in her room once before but he had been yelling at her more than looking around. She, however, had never entered his room and had only seen glances as she walked by. It was a dark room that had a very distinct odor coming from it. She was later told that Julian sneaked snacks into his room and would sometimes forget them until they rotted.

Plopping himself down on her bed, he grinned at her. “We'll need a plan.”

Riane left the bedroom door open and sat down on her computer chair, before pulling her laptop out of her backpack. “After I do my homework.”

She wasn't a hundred percent certain that she had made the right choice. All this time, she had been trying to get over her feelings for Blake and the moment someone offers her a chance to have him back she jumped at it. This wasn't even a good plan. How were they going to be able to separate a couple during a double date?

Julian sighed, “We have two days to figure out a social experiment here. I figured that what I need to do is make Adonia like me.”

“No, shit. Maybe you should have thought of that in the first place?” Riane put her laptop on the desk and opened it. An image of a cat appeared holding a string in its mouth.

“Chiding someone for what they should have done is worthless. What is done is done. It is what it is or whatever saying you prefer. Now, I have to run damage control. I never knew how until the opportunity presented itself.” Julian's feet dangled off the bed and he swung them back and forth.

“You could have just apologized and did better from that point on.” Riane had opened her schoolwork folder and found the paper she needed to work on.

With a groan, Julian got off the bed and walked over to her. He turned her chair towards him and put his hands on her armrests with his face inches away from her own. “Do you want to do this or not? Because all I am hearing from you is pessimism.”

Riane stared at him for a moment, “I don't know, Julian. I know I agreed, but this just seems wrong the more I think about it. Breaking them up is cruel. Not to mention that I have always been responsible for girls leaving him and I didn't want that burden anymore. I mean, I didn't do it purposefully or rather actively like this. It's not right.”

“You want to know what is not right?” Julian held the armrests tighter. “That he was your friend for so many years and when a girl came along he ditched you.”

“He didn't ditch me. He went to a party without me.” She rolled her eyes.

He pressed his lips together briefly, “So, you are saying that even without Adonia interfering, you would have put your friendship with Blake on hiatus?”

“Uh, no, because she made me realize that I needed to be truthful with myself.” Riane could feel the tings of jealousy in her chest but she didn't want to give him the emotions that he wanted.

“Didn't you tell Dalen that Blake offered to be your fiancee until you finished college?” Julian smirked, “If it weren't for Adonia, you would be living there with him right now and gotten out of my clutches. Close quarters breeds intimacy.”

“Says the man literately with his face inches from mine.”

Julian seemed to take that more as a challenge and place his forehead on her own. His eyes opened widely and a large smile appeared on his face. “Making you uncomfortable?”

“Stop it.” She shoved his shoulders and he stepped back still smiling.

“I am just playing with you.” Julian reached out and rubbed the top of her head. “Come on, we are buddies again now.”

“Speaking of which, I thought you were going to torment me until I left. All you have been doing is giving me the cold shoulder.” Riane turned her chair to face her laptop.

Julian shrugged as he laid back down on the bed. “It seemed like too much work. Plus you somehow won over my only friends. It seemed like a task that would only make the situation worse for me, so I didn't bother.”

She turned her chair back to him with her mouth slightly ajar. “I don't know if that shows incredible foresight or if you are just too cowardly to actually risk something to get what you want.”

“It can be both.” He kicked his shoes off and turned himself on the bed so he was on his back with his head was on the pillows. He crossed his legs at the ankle and put his hands behind his head with a grin.

Riane rolled her eyes once more, “Ok, in order for this to work. We have to be convincing as a couple, you know that right? Then we would have to befriend them and then slyly cause emotional problems for them.”

“We can cause physical ones too. Strange panties, all the favorites.” He tossed one hand in the air before immediately putting it back.

“All the fav-? What the hell are you talking about?”

He suddenly looked exhausted by her. “I forget you don't know television or movies. Trust me, there are favorites.”

“So, you want to use popular tropes to break them up, and you don't think that it will be obvious to them?” She leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms.

“Ok, obviously we have work to do, but it will work. Trust me.”

Riane rubbed her neck briefly due to the stress. “We will go on one double date with them and if we see no weakness or they suspect us, then I am pulling the plug. Got it?”

He grinned at her. “What made you change your mind?”

“You are right. Without Adonia, I would still have my friend and I certainly wouldn't be suffering in this room with you.” She turned back to her laptop. “Now, help me with my homework.”

“I can work with revenge if it isn't love you are after.” He got off the bed to stand beside her and look at her laptop screen.

“We can hash out the details later tonight. Homework is important now.”

---***---

After Joe had dropped off Riane and strangely Julian who rode in the backseat of her car together, she went over to Dalen's home. It had been odd to see the two of them sitting together without saying a word or explaining to her why he was riding home with them.

When she arrived at Dalen's, she entered without knocking, as he told her to do, and went to find him in the kitchen.

Dalen had an apron on and he was artfully removing a bone from a fish. He smiled when she entered, “I was just about to get it in the oven. Grab something to drink.”

Getting a can of soda from the fridge, she walked over to island and watched as he finished removing the bones and added the seasoning and lemon slices. She had been coming over to eat dinner with Dalen nearly every night for a month now. He enjoyed sending his cook home to cook for himself so much that his parents stopped hiring the cook. However, his meals were lonely and he loved having someone else eat his cooking.

Of course, Seth made an appearance every other day so it wasn't always date night. He wasn't a burden and it was actually quite fun to hear the two chat about their lives growing up. She had learned that Julian wasn't a long term friend and had simply joined the two of them at the beginning of last year's term. The story was curious how he became so imbedded and close to them in a matter of weeks.

“Julian rode home in the car with me and Riane today. Weird, right?” She opened her soda as he washed his hands after putting the fish in the broiler.

Dalen sighed, “I really hope those two aren't actually considering that stupid idea.”

“What stupid idea?”

He dried off his hands and picked up the beer bottle from the island and took a swig. “Adonia approached them at lunch and asked them on a double date with her and Blake. Julian jumped at the chance, and when she left he explained to Riane that they could use the couples' friendship to undermine their relationship.”

Joe stared at him for several seconds, “And Riane agreed?”

He nodded his head, “They shook hands and everything. I am surprised they didn't pinky swear not to back out.”

She tossed her head back and rolled her neck briefly to relieve the stress building up. “I knew that asshole would start corrupting my friend eventually. Now, I have to convince her that this is a terrible idea. She's too damn naïve and follows people along too much.”

Dalen frowned, “Sorry, we tried to tell her to not do it, but Julian knew to manipulate her emotions when it came to Blake.”

She pulled her cellphone from her pocket and typed in a message. “Dalen just told me about your plan to destroy Blake's relationship. Bad idea. We need to talk when I get home.”

He watched her patiently as she typed in the message, before the screen on his phone lit up. It was on silent but he saw the name and groaned. Picking up the phone, he sighed before answering it. “What is it, Ivy?”

The name made Joe curious and she turned her attention to him.

“No, he isn't here. I swear to you that I am not lying. He is at home.” He paused for a second before replying, “I don't know why he isn't answering your calls. Maybe he is busy.” His eyes met with Joe and he rolled them. “I am sorry he hasn't talked to you in months, but what am I supposed to do about it? Look, I am on a date right now, I can't talk anymore.” He hung up the phone and stared at it like it had betrayed him.

“Who is Ivy?”

“Initially a very nice girl that we met at a club a few times. She eventually got thrown into Julian's rotation and somehow managed to fall in love with him... or perhaps his money. Anyway, she is kind of looney and I guess Julian has stopped calling her and probably others since Riane moved in.” Dalen walked over to the eye level oven to check on the fish.

“Sounds like a lovely man. I do so hope that Riane marries him.” She spoke dryly before she took a big chug of her soda.

“Hey, he was allowed to sow his wild oats before he got engaged, abruptly if you can recall. He hasn't even gone to a club with us since it happened.” He turned back to the island and leaned his hands on it. “I mean granted its part of the contract with his parents, and that doesn't make him a good guy in anyway, but give him some credit.”

She grinned, “Fine. I guess that is the best case scenario for him.”

“There, and your mouth didn't bleed from the words or anything.” He winked.

Joe phone beeped and she looked down at her message from Riane before reading it out loud to him. “Enjoy your date with Dalen and have a great evening, but do not get involved with my plans. I love you, but I mean it.”

Dalen didn't look surprised, “Julian has convinced me to do things that I didn't want to do or know they were wrong. I don't think Riane, who is inexperienced in these mattes, would be able to handle him.”

“I will kill him.” She mumbled and then looked up at him with a grin, “If I can't convince her to not go through with this, can you find out the time and place of the double date?”

He nodded his head as he pressed his lips together. “I don't see why they wouldn't tell me. Why are you going to crash it?”

“No, that would damage my relationship with Riane. I don't want to get her into trouble, but embarrassing Julian could work.” She tapped his phone. “Do you think Ivy would like that information?”

“It would be rather cruel to unleash that woman upon them.” He chuckled slightly though he meant the words. It was just the image of what she would do that he found so humorous.

She watched him walk over to the fridge and pull out a small platter with vegetables, cheese, and deli meats. “What they are trying to do isn't exactly kind, besides Julian deserves it for trying to corrupt my friend. Maybe that will be enough for Riane to realize that this is a bad plan.”

Setting the platter on the island he thought for a moment, “Seems a little underhanded though. Shouldn't we just talk to them?”

“That's what I already said. If she doesn't listen to reason then we need to set up a life lesson for her.” She tried to give him her best puppy dog eyes.

“I will think about it.” He picked up a slice of salami and held it up to her mouth. “I have to figure out if I would trust Ivy not to do something rash and actually hurt Riane.”

Joe hated when he did that and took it from him with her fingers. “Fine.”

“Can we drop the subject now? We have been talking about Riane and Julian since you got here. It's like I am dating a single mom without the benefit of there being an actual cute kid. Don't get me wrong Riane can be adorable at times, but she isn't five.” He spoke with humor in his voice though his heart held a little bit of annoyance.

“Ok, sorry. How was class today?”

“Boring, yours?”

She nodded, “Same. What kind of fish are you making?”

“Red snapper.”

They both fell silent for several seconds.

“Wow, this is totally not as juicy as plotting evil against our friends.” Dalen joked which made Joe crack a smile.

“You're so funny sometimes.” She reached out and playfully pinched his cheek before he leaned over and got a quick kiss.

“Hey, here is a topic. Why don't you stay the night here on Friday?” He asked while she was drinking her soda and the question caused her to inhale. “Or not.”

She pounded on her chest a couple of times before looking up at him, “What?”

---***---

Bryce was heading up to his room when he heard the faint sounds of a piano playing, which brought a grin to his face. He made his way down the hall and opened one of the white double doors with gold trimming to see Riane.

Her eyes were closed as she played the gentle tune that he did not recognize. He didn't know if she cared for an audience or not, and cleared his throat as he entered. Riane opened her eyes to the foreign sound and smiled as she continued to play.

The room smelled heavily of floral as Nanette had become excited over the use of the room. She had it cleaned daily and fresh flowers placed in six different vases around the room. They were always purple flowers as Riane had learned that once she knows your favorite color she thinks that is the only color you ever want to see. It was kind of her, however, and made Riane feel like the room belonged to her somehow.

Making his way over to her, he leaned on the piano slightly as she finished the song and when she was done he clapped gently a few times.

“Are you planning on returning to your music major now that your father can not stop you?” Bryce asked as he sat down on the bench beside her.

Riane thought over his question for a moment. “I don't know. If things do not work out here then my father would have me switch back. I couldn't go through the heartbreak a second time.”

He nodded his head with a gently grin, “I understand. How are you and Julian getting along? It surprised me to hear he took your car home with you.”

“We have come to terms, I suppose. It is still all a matter of time.” She bit her bottom lip briefly, “I believe we have returned to friendship status, however, so that is a step in the correct direction.”

“Yeah, that weird silent treatment but helping you with your homework thing was rather creepy.” Bryce chuckled which caused her to as well. Reaching out his hand, he pulled gently on a lock of her hair. “Are you going to let it grow out?”

“I have never had long hair before and I have never had the confidence to try.” Riane explained, “Since I met Julian and the others and moved on from Blake, I am trying to figure out who I am exactly.”

“And how do you find that out?” He almost leaned his elbow forward to rest, and slammed it against several keys. “Oops, sorry.” He touched the keys with his hand and tried to shush the piano as if it was a crying infant.

Riane smiled at his gentleness, but did not openly laugh at his clumsiness. She decided to ignore the occurrence and simply answer his question.“Do I like my hair short or long? I don't know. Do I prefer to wear make-up or not? I am still deciding. Do I care for the tighter more form fitting clothes or my old baggy clothes? Both, I think.” She shrugged, “When I lived with my father, he wanted me to be more girl-like and I refused out of spite to him. Of course, I was afraid of how my friends and people at school would view my sudden change.”

“It ended well, though.” He adjusted himself on the hard bench, “You seem a bit more comfortable wearing what you want. My mom hasn't been too pushy, has she?”

She shook her head, “No, in fact, she gets me to try on clothes that I never thought I would wear and I find that I like them when I see them on my person. I appreciate the slight pushes here and there, and I think she is figuring out the line when to stop pushing.”

“Good, I am glad. I like having you around and I hope you'll stay for a few more years. Not to say that you aren't smart, but it's nice seeing someone else get help with their homework... even if it's an eighteen year old helping you and a eleven year old helping me.” He smiled widely.

Riane returned the smile, “Thank you. You have always tried to make me feel comfortable, and I appreciate your efforts.”

“It's my pleasure.” He stood from the bench, “I'll let you get back to practicing.” Leaning over he kissed her on her forehead right where her hairline began. He placed his hand on her shoulder momentarily and gave a gentle squeeze.

“Goodnight, Bryce.” Riane watched him as he made his way over to the door in a slow manner that suggested he might not actually want to leave, though she did not pick up on the hesitation and instead sat quietly.

“Goodnight.” He said as he stepped into the hallway and shut the door behind him. He grinned to himself before he turned to head down the hall, but instead was met with Julian's glaring eyes. He was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. “You scared the shit out of me, Julian. What are you doing lurking around the hallway like that?”

“I have to talk to Riane, but I didn't want to disturb your little love in.” Julian sneered as he stood up straight but kept his arms crossed.

“Love in?” Bryce snorted, “Wow, you just now stopped being an ass to her, and you are already jealous when someone else shows her any kindness.”

His younger brother frowned, “Whatever you think is going on, you are wrong. If you are planning to steal my fiancee fine, but I am going to need her for a little while longer.”

He didn't like that response at all. “Need her for a little while longer? What the hell are you planning to do to her?”

Julian leaned back against the wall with a smirk on his lips. He realized he might have over exposed his plans and he knew he needed a distraction. “The last time you were this chummy with a girl was Catherine. How did that work out for you?”

Bryce stared at his brother for a couple of seconds. “What are you getting at?”

“Catherine, you remember your friend, don't you? She was always coming over here and crying to you about other men, meanwhile all you wanted to do was have her for yourself.” He snickered.

“Watch yourself, Julian.” Bryce held up his hand and pointed at his brother with his index finger and his lips pressed.

“You never had the balls to make the moves though, and she went off to college. Remember how you tried to convince mom and dad to send you with her, so you could sit around and long for her?” Julian continued to speak with a smirk and a slight chuckle in his voice.

“I am warning you.” Bryce took a couple steps towards his brother, but both knew he wouldn't become violent unless violence was placed upon him or someone else first.

“How is that relationship? Do you get an email from time to time?” Julian knew he was going a little to far with this, but he needed to take Bryce's mind off his previous words.

“Not that it is any of your business, but we talk on the phone a couple times a week.” Bryce wanted so badly to grab his brother by the collar and slam him against the wall. He couldn't bring himself to do such a thing since that was more Julian's move than his own.

“Oh, how is she?” He already knew the answer, but wanted to hear it from Bryce. Catherine actually emailed him weekly to ask for help in her schoolwork or to see how Bryce really was doing. In fact, she knew how Bryce felt about her all those years, and Julian felt she used it against him to get what she needed out of him. Though, Catherine would say she just felt betrayed that a man she thought was her friend was only kind to her because he wanted something from her.

“She is engaged and very happy.” Bryce replied.

Julian nodded his head slowly, “So is the woman in there.” He motioned towards her music room doors.

Deciding that this would lead to no where good, Bryce walked passed his brother which made Julian slightly lift himself from the wall so that their shoulders could make contact. Bryce stopped briefly almost tempted to lose his patience, but instead he just continued walking towards his bedroom. He didn't want Julian to know that he could get the better of him.

He couldn't decide if Julian was feigning jealousy or if it was genuine, either way, his brother was right. He didn't need to be doting over Riane as it might make others think something uncouth was going on.

---***---

Adonia sat across the table from Blake as she watched him stare into his glass of water. They were at their favorite Mexican restaurant that was a small hole in the wall, and it looked like it needed to be completely scrubbed down, but it had the best food. Pictures of the family members hung on the walls along with memorabilia of the local hockey team.

Blake's mind had been elsewhere for some time now, and he occasionally needed a reminder to come back to her.

She had begun to understand why other girls had dumped him in the past. Not that she wanted to leave him, but that she could see they had valid reasons. Even when Riane wasn't around or when she said she didn't want to see him anymore; there he was considering only his friend.

At first, when he told her about his problems having girlfriend's in the past, she really did think that it was Riane's fault. That somehow she made them feel disliked or uncomfortable, but Riane had never done anything like that to her.

Even with everything that was going on now, she never felt like Riane had placed any blame on her. Her anger was always directed at Blake and how inconsiderate he was of her feelings. She called it inconsiderate because even if he denied it, he knew those feelings existed in Riane and he simply ignored them.

“I always wondered how my parents really got together.” Adonia said out loud as the waitress passed the table to check to ensure their drinks were still full. They hadn't received their meal yet, but Adonia didn't mind waiting as this was the one time a week she didn't eat her dinner at home, except this Friday, of course.

Blake looked up from his water, “Excuse me?”

“My mom, she grew up on the ranch just like me, but she went to school to become a geneticist. She didn't want to go to CHU, because she didn't want people to know that she was a rich kid. She worked really hard and got a scholarship at a prestigious school. When she was there, she accepted little money from my grandfather. She always said she wanted to be independent before she returned to the ranch.” Adonia smiled as she told him the tale that he had heard before.

“This is a strange subject to suddenly bring up.” Blake told her as their plates arrived. He had gotten nachos with al pastor and she had asked for fish tacos.

“I know, but let me tell it and then I can explain.” She chuckled as she began to add hot sauce to her tacos. “My dad, on the other hand, was stable hand that was hired after my mother went away to university. He says he barely passed high school and in fact had to take classes after his senior year in summer school. His parents worked their fingers to the bone, and he had taken the job to help them because they needed a third pay check in the house even though he had moved out with roommates. He went back home and found a job with more hours and better pay to help them.”

Blake piled on the salsa, al pastor, guacamole, melted cheese, and refried beans onto one chip before topping it off with a slice of jalapeno. He did so meticulously with each one before he would even begin eating them which would take some time.

“How did these two different people meet after my mom came back and fall in love. I mean I know that he was at her home, but wasn't my mom afraid that he might only want her for her money? How do you trust someone that much that you marry them, against your parents' wishes?” Adonia put her arms on the table.

“Does your dad only care about money?” Blake mumbled the question.

“Well, no. He loves working on the ranch and being with the horses. He tells me that he was lucky to go there and find that job as he was a city boy his entire life, and now he can't imagine waking up without his chores.” She sighed and she leaned back on the booth.

“Maybe, your mom could tell that he was happy there and that made her like him even more. To see someone be as passionate about something as you are.” Blake continued to put together each tortilla chip and set them on a plate to the side. “Surely, you can question your mother about this?”

“Whenever I ask, she just tells me that I will understand when it is my time.” She sat forward and bit into one of her tacos. Initially, she had planned to wait for Blake, but decided that his time wasting effort was making her food cold.

“It could be something you can only understand when you experience it.” He told her without breaking eye contact with his dinner.

“I suppose.” She continued to eat her meal. This conversation hadn't turned out as well as she wanted it to be. She was wanting to talk to him about love and connection, anything but about Riane. However, his deadpan responses told her that he was uninterested in the conversation. “I wonder how Julian will be on Friday.”

“He's an ass, so probably a lot of that but across a table from us with Riane sitting awkwardly beside him.” He still didn't look up at her, but at least he was saying something now.

“Why would she be awkward? She seems rather comfortable around him at school.” It was a strange thing for him to say or perhaps she was being hypersensitive to the subject of Riane.

He shrugged and looked up at her with a chip in one hand and a fork covered in refried beans in another. “Let's see. She only a couple months ago, announced that she had a crush on me probably for years, and now she is in a forced engagement with a previous bully and an all around utter jerk. Worst yet, it looks like the two of them have just accepted this fate. Holding hands and waving at us. Does he think it makes me jealous?”

“I don't know, but you are starting to make me think you are jealous.” She turned her fork to the rice that she had gotten as a side.

Blake sighed, “I probably am. In less than a months time, he went from stealing my best friend to getting engaged with her. Now, I know that the latter was not his fault or so he'd like us to believe, but still something just feels wrong about the way things played out. I feel like he planned it this way.”

“Ok, you realize you sound ridiculous, right? You want to make order from chaos. Maybe this was their fate. To meet as enemies, become friends, and then marry and have a great life together. They seemed to enjoy each other's company whenever I went to bother them.” Putting her fork down, she watched as he still made up each chip individually. “You know you are being terribly annoying with this habit, and I will ask you not to order nachos in the future.”

“I know, and fine. Each one needs the right amount of everything otherwise I should have just ordered chips and salsa.” He explained more to the half finished plate than to her. “Anyway, I guess you are right. I am just being paranoid. I just don't understand how she became friends with them and then suddenly he got engaged to her.”

“Julian has his problems with females. I mean look at his way of courting me. Maybe she was an easy pick because he did get along with her.” Adonia was somewhat annoyed that the conversation had once again turned to Riane, and some doubt was beginning to wear on her confidence in this relationship. She had been feeling this way for some time, and hoped that by mending the divide between the two that she could get her boyfriend back.

“Everything alright here?” The waitress asked as she watched Blake's bizarre actions with equal parts curiosity and disgust.

“Yes, thank you.” Blake mumbled.

She continued to watch him as she walked away until her neck wasn't capable of turning that far around anymore.

“Where do you want to take them on Friday? I was thinking of a nice restaurant. Maybe somewhere that Riane really likes?” This topic about Riane was actually of some interest to her.

Blake looked up from his food, “I think the only time that Riane has eaten out at a restaurant is when her father was having a charity ball or buttering someone up. I don't even know if she has eaten fast food ever in her life.”

“Oh, well, then I'll pick my favorite place and hopefully that will be enough.” Adonia smiled as he went back to dissecting his meal.

---***---

Julian entered the music room after watching his brother go all the way to his own bedroom. He glared at the door for a couple moments just to ensure that he wouldn't leave.

After watching him with Riane and even kissing her forehead which she seemed comfortable with, he knew for certain that his brother had some sort of design for Riane. However, right now he needed her. He was finally in his life going to get a girl that he actually had feelings for, and Riane getting romantic with some other guy would damage those plans.

“Hey.” Riane said as he stepped inside, she hadn't begun playing another song yet, but Julian decided that her cheeks were slightly red. Did she blush over the kiss? Was she happy that his brother showed her that sort of affection?

He walked over to the piano, “I think you have practiced enough. We need to discuss specifics. Like how are we going to get them separated and alone with just one of us?”

“You are thinking of separated too literately. Four people can be sitting at a table and break off into two groups in conversation.” She began to clean up the music sheets that she had pulled out and place them in the bench.

“I see.” Julian didn't sound completely convinced. “So, you talk to him about something of interest to him, and I talk to her about something of interest to her. Then two conversations are happening and we have their attention all to ourselves?”

“Right.” Riane had told him that it helped her to think by playing music, and so when her homework was done she left their conversation to have a think. No doubt, Julian had been pacing back and forth waiting for a decent amount of time to pass before coming to bother her.

“Alright... and what do girls like to talk about?” He asked sincerely.

The question made Riane smirk as for once in her life, she was seeing Julian's lack of confidence. “It's not about what generic girl A likes to talk about; it is about what Adonia likes to talk about.”

“Fine, what does Adonia like to talk about?” He was starting to sound slightly annoyed as if he realized he wasn't sounding too intelligent in this area.

“Well, what do you know about her?” Riane sat back down on the bench and Julian continued to stand in front of her.

“Uh, well, her name is Adonia Fulke and she is eighteen.” He seemed to be thinking rather hard for a man that was suppose to be in love with this woman. “She attends CHU and... um...she has blonde hair and...um...”

“You are kidding, right? You don't know anything about her other than the obvious?” Riane tried not to sound like she was scolding him and attempted to make it sound more playful, but it was obvious from the look on Julian's face she had failed.

He scoffed, “She hasn't exactly been open to conversation since I met her.”

“No, you haven't been interested in getting to know her. You could look her up online and find out a ton more about her than that. I seriously doubt your dedication right now.” Riane stood from her bench and headed towards the front door, but Julian shut it before it opened completely.

“I said I wanted to do this, so let's do it.” He snarled. “Tell me about her.”

She stood back from the door and folded her arms across her chest. “You know nothing about her. Are you sure you aren't doing this just to be vengeful for the way she treats you?”

“I barely put in the effort to be vengeful towards you. I literately threatened to scare you out of this house and then gave up the next damn day. Are you seriously asking me that?”

Riane sighed, “Her mom is a geneticist and they breed horses... might be race horses, I don't know. I barely listened when she talked. She is a cheerleader and...”

“Oh, I knew that.” He said excitedly.

“Yes, I bet the outfit gave it away.” She continued, “She lives on a ranch, but they also have cows for beef, I believe.”

“Everything you say, you only think that it might be correct. How are you better than me?” He leaned his back against the door.

“It's more than you knew a second ago. Don't complain when someone is trying to help you. It's inconsiderate.” Riane snapped, “Her dad works the day to day of the stables, and has helped expand the ranch. He is a big hunter. Adonia is always talking about what her dad caught on his last hunting trip. I know she went with him when she was younger, but as she got older she didn't want to go hunting anymore. Adonia thinks it hurt her dad's feelings.”

“How does any of this help me in a conversation with her at dinner? Who wants to talk about blowing deer brains out when they are eating?” Julian stepped away from the door and began to pace the room. “I am beginning to think you aren't the right partner.”

Riane laughed at that comment, “I am the only one you have, dumb ass. May I remind you that there would be no dinner with Adonia if I wasn't your 'partner' and we weren't engaged.”

Pressing his lips together, he realized that she was right but refused to admit so. “Fine, but I still don't see how this helps me.”

“It helps because you will be able to ask questions. Like ask her about the ranch, I know she can drone on for hours about it. That is her passion just like her parents. She has two younger sisters, whom she loves very much. You can talk about siblings, too.” Riane reached for the door and opened it to head down the hallway to her bedroom.

Julian followed behind her, “Those all sound extremely boring.”

“Yeah, well, it turns out you have to listen to boring things about people in order to get to know them. You listened to boring things about me when we first hung out, and I listened to your boring things. Guess what? We got to know each other and here we are living in the same house.” She opened her bedroom door and left it open so Julian could follow in.

He shut the door behind him as he entered and tossed himself on the bed. “Yeah, but that was spontaneous. This will be all rehearsed in my head.”

“Trust me with Adonia the conversation will evolve.” She stepped into her walk in closest and pulled down a shirt and pajama bottoms that were both pink. Shutting herself into the closest, she continued to speak through the door. “She loves to talk about herself, even when no one cares. Just look into her eyes, say things like cool, wow, or uh huh and she'll lead the conversation for you. All you have to do is get her attention on you first.”

“I guess that doesn't sound so hard.” He stretched his hands over his head. “I loathe forced social situations like this.”

“You are the one that forced it.” Riane told him as she stepped out of the closest and put her clothes in the hamper. She didn't even seem to mind that her bra was in his view.

Julian frowned slightly at the thought that she had just acted like he was her female friend, but decided to let it go for now. “I can still hate it.”

Riane sat down in her computer chair, “You know they are going to expect intimacy from us, are you prepared?”

“I can kiss and hug a girl I don't care for all day.” Julian sat up on the bed. “Just follow my lead.”

“I didn't mean physical intimacy, but now that you say that I am horrified. I meant like an understanding of each other, an emotional intimacy.”

Immediately, Julian put his hand to his lips and pretended to vomit in his mouth then swallow the nonexistent vomit down. “That...” He stood from the bed and pretended once more. “I can't do this, right now.” Again, he pretended to vomit. “I have to leave. I can't be around you.”

Riane rolled her eyes as she watched him make his way to her door. “We don't have much time to plan this, Julian. It's no time for jokes.”

“I'm not joking.” He made the pretend motion again before opening the door and speeding off down the hallway. Leaving Riane to shake her head in annoyance.

“Dumb ass.”

Chapter 6: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=394

Comments for Chapter 5: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=429