Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 30: Communal Storage

Varden's Journal

For weeks now, Prince Lucius has been searching for the Fox. Immediately upon his arrival, he called upon the largest of the Mondue Guards. We were used to ensure a speedy over taking of the council and the entire university in general. However, this Fox continues to elude us.

My Prince has taken this as not only a personal challenge but as an insult to his capabilities. Though he has said nothing of the sort, but I have talked very little to the man myself. He seems to keep amongst his future advisers and only looks to me and the other Mondue when he has an order for us.

That is until today, which is why I have chosen to write even though I am hardly any good at such scholarly pursuits. I have a feeling in my heart that these conversations that I have and the adventures that I am about to beset upon will be important to someone, someday.

I am Varden Aguilar, as of today I have seen twenty summers, but I am nothing more than a peasant Mondue in the scheme of the world, and yet here I am about to accomplish more than anyone in my station would have ever dreamed. I hope these writings one day inspire the same in someone else in my very position. Let us begin before I forget the conversation held today.

We were returning from another failed hunt on the Fox. The sly fellow has slipped through our fingers higher than I can count. It always seems as though he is within our reach and then without warning he disappears. I believe that he has spies every where which is why we can never say or do anything without his knowledge, and at this point in time, I know that he is using us for his own entrainment.

As we returned to the dorm, Prince Lucius was furious. When we entered his study and the door closed behind us, he began to throw everything within arms reach at us and this was followed by every cursed word that one might be able to think of.

"You ignorant fools. Nothing could have prepared me for the lack of competence in my own Mondue Guards." He spewed the words as if they were venom in his mouth and he was set on poisoning us. I remember that his face had turned red with anger and that small bubbles of spittle had formed on the corners of his lips. "I thought Mondues were meant to be the greatest warriors in the world! I have a sister that has risen to the challenge better than this lot!"

My fellow three Mondues had tightened their bodies as they grew angry but knew they could not retaliate against the future King. Xyles La Croix stood next to the Prince. He was also of Mondue descent, though his family had joined the royal family long ago, however they rarely married anyone that wasn't of Mondue ancestry and they had continued to grow larger and more formidable. I believe they breed themselves to rival even the Mondue Elite, as most know the first La Croix that joined the Royal Party had been turned away from the Elite due to his stature.

I remember Xyles never stood against his Prince when he insulted the Mondues, however. It was as if he wanted all the benefits of size and strength but none of the responsibilities such as brotherhood.

"Your Grace, I wonder if we should set another trap. We had come so close the last time, and out right attacking the monster has not worked." Xyles seemed to be trying to divert the Prince's attentions.

When I heard the suggestion, I snorted at the thought. I hadn't done so to direct attention to myself, and I barely even realized that I had done it until the Prince and Xyles both looked to me.

Xyles was the first to address me, "Did you just snort at me, peasant?"

I was about to apologize, when my eyes caught that of my other Mondues. They seemed hopefully that out of this group of four one of us might stand up and become the leader we were so desperately needing. I accepted the challenge.

"My Prince," I began and ignored Xyles. I would not even make eye contact with the Mondue pretender. "The Fox has kept order in the underground for hundreds of years. His watch has decreased some of the more serious crime such as murder and rape. To remove him would be catastrophic, may I make another suggestion, my Lord?"

Prince Lucius had been leaning against his desk, but stood up and walked over to stand in front of me. He had to raise his head to look into my eyes, though Xyles was rather the same height as I was and I suspected that he was used to it. "Who are you to advise me, Mondue?"

"My name is Varden Aguilar. I am no one of consequence, my Prince, but far less have offered gifts of wisdom to your father." He smirked at me and then nodded his head for me to continue. "Wouldn't it be wise to discover who the Fox is, and then befriend him, your Grace?"

"Why would that be wise?"

I felt every one in the room was uneasy as they adjusted themselves from one foot to another, except for the Prince and I. We were locked in a dead stare. "To control him. Feed him information and gain his trust, so that we have power and influence over the strongest individual in this hamlet."

"No one knows who the Fox is." Xyles snapped. "If we could know he would have been captured long ago."

I continued to ignore him. "The Fox has been around for generations, which means he is either immortal, not just one man, or the torch has been passed from one man to another. I believe the latter." I looked toward Xyles as I tried to influence in my own way. If the Prince believed that this should be only between us then that would be for the best.

The Prince looked interested in what I had to say, but turned to Xyles. "You are no longer my private guard, take these other Mondues and leave."

He looked as if he were about to argue but instead left the room with the others in tow.

"If so,"I continued when the Prince turned back to me when the doors shut, "we have to look for an individual that has resources and ties to accommodate these illegal items. Someone who has been within these walls for generations."

"Someone in the Merchant's Guild, perhaps?" Lucius thought for a moment and then his eyes went wide, "Not Pymus Grey!"

I slowly nodded my head, "I have suspected him for months now, your Grace."

Lucius stared at me for a moment, "Why not speak your findings until now?"

"Would you have listened before now, my Lord?" I felt emboldened to speak to him in such a manner, but fearful never the less.

"You are my Private Guard from this day onward or until you have failed me in this endeavor." He folded his arms. "Do well or Xyles will have your head."

"Yes, My Prince."

I was dismissed to return to my room, where I searched for the empty journal that had been gifted to me. I do not know what possesses me to write this information down as I was never interested in such activities, so I do not know how long I might continue. We, or rather I shall see.

---***---

Lenore followed behind Krius after he had come to her dorm to inform her that her brother had wished to see her. When they arrived at the study door, Krius opened it for her and allowed her to enter. He did not follow her in but instead shut the door and waited outside in the hallway.

Lesatan was sitting at his desk and reading over a scroll that he needed to mesmerize for one of his lessons. He knew that his sister had entered the room but wasn't quite at a stopping point in that moment, so he ignored her entirely.

Walking over to his desk, Lenore took a seat in the chair that was placed directly in front of her brother and crossed her arms as she waited. She had a feeling that she knew exactly what this was about, and she had wanted to tell Krius where he could put his little note. However, she had made a promise to her brother that she would come when called and though it pained her to act like his puppy, she had to keep her word.

With a gentle yawn, Lesatan looked up from his scroll and frowned at his sister. "Your antics are becoming the talk of the entire university, Lenore. You do know how much my mother loathes gossip, even if it is about you, especially when you are portraying yourself as less than regal."

Lenore leaned back in her chair, "I do not create the laws of this school, that would be your place, Les. Laws state that I can assemble peacefully in order to petition the council."

"Just because laws allow such behaviors does not give you an excuse to humiliate your family. The Princess acting as if she is one of the commoners instead of petitioning her brother, head of the council, directly." He folded his hands on top of the desk. "The people already believe there is a divide between us, and now you have given them more reason to make such assumptions."

Licking her lips, Lenore wondered why her brother was being so calm. Normally, he would yell at her and call names, but he was being rather cordial. It heightened her suspicions. "Let them talk. Words have no power unless one has power behind their words."

He pressed his lips together and seemed to attempt to control his temper.

"Besides, I am not doing this to get my own way, but instead attempting to show others how they should behave when faced with an injustice."

Lesatan snorted, "Do you believe any of those girls would have the courage to stand up had you not been at their side? They believe that you have the power to protect them."

Sitting forward, she placed her elbows on her knees. "I don't?"

"You only have power when I allow it. People call you by a title and assume that means that others will follow your commands, but the only power you really have is what little is allotted to you. If I desired you could be nothing more than a commoner or a fugitive from the law." Lesatan growled. "I may not have the ability to do so now, but father can only live for so long."

She sat back in her chair and smirked. "This is what it has come to then, Les? Threatening to kill me? You are so much like your mother."

"I do not recall using any word that would suggest I would kill you." Lesatan's eyes never left her own. "I am merely pointing out that your power and title are given to you by a guilty father. There are many that had wanted you dead and buried long before you were ever born. You are a threat to the heritage of the Cromwell family."

Lenore slowly shook her head in amusement, "Why did you truly summon me?"

"You are getting out of control with this petition, but I know a way to put the dragon back to sleep and quickly." He swallowed as he watched her eyes widen only slightly. He knew she was trying to hide any emotion other than amusement, but still he had caught her briefly off guard.

"And what might that be?"

Lesatan chuckled, "Why would I explain my plans to you?"

Her eyebrow raised in confusion, "Then why summon me here to tell me that you have concocted a plan?"

He leaned forward once more, "To put fear in your heart. You will go back to sleep, Lenore. I won't have you running about creating havoc."

---***---

Ophelia was taking down the stock from the stall in order to place it in storage for the night. Normally, the woman that ran the stall would do such as task but when she came to check on her for the evening, she had informed her that her daughter had been in labor since the night before.

Feeling bad for the woman, Ophelia sent her home and finished caring for customers until the bells tolled informing the merchants' square that it was time to close down.

She was wearing her school tabard and uniform, and everyone who passed her took notice of the girl behind the cart. While customers seemed interested, it was the other merchants that kept a watchful eye on her. In fact, the curiosity of the student behind the stall had brought in several extra customers that night though they never gathered the nerve to ask her any questions.

The skyline was falling into darkness and she knew she needed to hurry to return to her dorm. Other merchants around her closed their stalls and began to head home and others were still putting their stocks away in either the nearby communal storage room or their own safes.

"I had wondered where you had disappeared." Remus' undeniable voice spoke from in front of the cart. "It is against school policy for you to work outside the university."

Ophelia nearly choked on her own laughter. "I hardly think you should preach to me about obeying that particular rule."

He grinned and then quickly jumped over the stall's counter and began to take items off the shelves and place them in the box on the ground. It wasn't a large area and normally only one person could fit, so the snug fit caused their fair share of touching. Ophelia would apologize when she accidentally nudged him, but Remus would only grin and enjoy that his ploy had actually worked.

He would purposely reach across her and drag his arm against her shoulder even though there was plenty of work in front of him. Ophelia would realize it and step back to allow him to reach his item, and Remus would chuckle internally at how naïve and trusting she was being toward him.

This went on until they were almost finished and he tried one more time. Ophelia stepped back after her arm was brushed only to make eye contact with the man next to her with the large grin on his face.

"Remus Grey! Have you been teasing me this entire time?" She crossed her arms and looked as if she was about to pout.

He continued to chuckle as he dropped the last item into the second box and picked it up. He said nothing and instead walked to the communal storage house with Ophelia carrying her own box behind him.

Inside the storage house, the smell of hundreds of different products mixed together. Cheese and meats, pastries, and fresh linen were some of the scents that one could make out. The entire room was filled with shelving to hold the boxes of products.

Remus found theirs and placed his box on the shelves before taking the box from Ophelia and putting it away for her.

"I never imagined that Remus would lift something for my sake." She teased as she left the storage room with Remus behind her.

The only other person there was the guard for the storage house and he locked the door behind them to begin his long night.

"Are you suggesting that I am a weakling?" Remus asked as he walked beside her while they headed back to their dorm.

She shrugged her shoulders, "You are certainly no Santh."

His mouth dropped open playfully, "Why Lady Romanus, is this how you talk to your suitors?"

"A suitor, are you?" She snorted. "Then is touching under the guise of an accident how you treat the woman whom you wish to woo?"

"Indeed it is." He told her with cheer in his voice. "It never fails to attract the lady of my heart's desire."

The humor left Ophelia's eyes and Remus was left wondering what he had said. "So, I am merely a conquest then? Well, you should have said so in the beginning, it would have saved us a great deal of time." With that she tried to hurry off.

Remus sighed heavily to himself as he watched her head through the gates. "I said, 'heart's desire!' Ophelia!" Pressing his lips together, he decided to not chase after her and instead made his way back to the dorms alone.

---***---

Routine sat on his bed with the desk on his lap, while Anton, Jolon, and Saena sat on the floor of the platform. Their tutor had helped them with their assignments, but refused to answer any questions as he had his own work to preform. However, he left Saena to assist the boys with their work, which was embarrassing for both of them.

Saena seemed to know a great deal as she had overheard many lectures over the years, and had even admitted to hiding under classroom windows at times to hear a lecture she was interested in the next day. She seemed capable of storing the information that she was given, but Routine had assessed that she didn't have any proper order to her knowledge and it was all jumbled into a giant mess that he would help sort out.

"We must depart for the dining hall in seven minutes." Routine informed the quiet group.

Jolon sighed, "It was enjoyable eating here. If we hadn't lost we might have been able to continue." His eyes turned to Anton.

"Are you still blaming me? I was not part of the group this time, and therefore I had nothing to do with the loss." Anton snapped and slammed his book shut. "Eating at the dining hall is hardly a punishment, we had to at the beginning of the year and we did not complain then."

Saena looked at Routine who looked annoyed by the conversation that the two were having. It was something they fought over often enough that everyone in the dorm knew exactly how the conversation would end.

"You quit on us!" Jolon barked. "You left poor Ophelia to take your place, and she was devastated that she lost the tournament for us. You allowed her to take on a burden that was yours."

"I informed you and everyone else right after the first tournament that I wouldn't involve myself any more. It is not as if this was shocking news." Anton stood up which caused Jolon to do so as well.

"So as long as you abandon us before we need you again then it's not betrayal?" Jolon snorted.

"What do you want from me, Jolon? I can not change what has come to pass." Anton tossed up his arms with one hand still holding a book.

"I want you to promise that you will be there for us in the last tournament this year."

The anger in Anton's face melted away and he pressed his lips together as he shook his head. "I can not participate anymore. I have my reasons and you should respect them."

With that Jolon watched his friend jump off the platform and leave down the dirt path.

Standing up from his bed, Routine laid his desk down gently before he followed Anton to his destination which he hoped was the dining hall.

Reaching out her hand, Saena took Jolon's and he turned to face her. "You do not know his reasons, but he is right you should respect that he has them."

"The problem isn't that he has reasons, it is that he won't share them with us. We are the ones that suffer and we do not even have the privilege to know why?" He continued to frown.

Saena reached her free hand up and touched his chin. "Perhaps, it is to protect you and the others from the truth or perhaps to protect someone else. The last time you two fought over this, Lenore said that she thought it had something to do with his father."

"Why allow your father to control you? It is not as if he has other heirs and will toss Anton away." Jolon shook his head. "It doesn't matter what his reasons. We were a band of brothers and he betrayed us."

She sighed, "Alright. Well, I better head to the kitchen to see if I am needed. I think I washed laundry long enough." Standing on her tip toes, she gently kissed his cheek. "I will come by to study again after my work is done."

Jolon nodded his head and watched her disappear into the woods as she didn't want to use the paths and be caught. After a moment of catching his breath, he jumped off the platform himself and hurried to the dining hall.

---***---

Authin leaned against the back of the library's brick wall. He was hiding behind the bushes and waiting for his appointment to begin. After calling on Armand to meet him three times before and the adviser had not been making an appearance, he didn't have much hope that Armand would come this time.

Picking at the dirt underneath his nails, he contemplated how he had gone from the Royal Dorms to the South Dorms. He was angry with those involved that had brought him to this point and then punished him for doing exactly as they had told him. His parents had wanted him to marry the Princess, but when they heard the tactics that he was using, they disagreed and begged him to use his usual charm to win the woman over.

Authin knew better and had seen Lenore's reaction to his charms. She held him with suspicion and even slight contempt. She didn't approve of the real him and even now as he had lived at the dorms and stayed out of everyone's way, Lenore showed no signs of interest in him; even as friends. He could understand why, but he couldn't understand how she gave kindness with one hand and viciousness with the other. He felt neither welcomed nor wanted in the South Dorm, and yet he had to call that place home if he wanted to continue here at the school.

"Your constant requests for my company are starting to go noticed by the Prince." Armand's voice broke through his thoughts.

Standing up from the wall, Authin walked over to the tall, blonde rogue. He was wearing his adviser's robe of a dark red cloth with the Cromwell family crest embroidered on the back. Two tigers engaged in combat just like it seemed every siblings that held the name had done even before Lenore and Lesatan.

Armand acted so prim and proper but Authin knew the truth behind him though no one would believe him if he ever spilled his secret.

"I must return to the Royal Dorms. You must tell Lesatan that I was acting by your orders! You insisted that I be forceful with her and she would come around." Authin crossed his arms. He didn't know why he thought he could order the other man around, but he was tired of beseeching him.

Armand's face normally carried with it a slight grin, as if the world was a humorous anecdote that only he was privy to. However in those moments, there was no grin. He didn't seem as if he was prepared for this part in his story.

"Forceful does not mean rape. Honestly, do you believe that I would compel you to rape the Princess, and believe she would have anything to do with you after?" He snorted. "Lesatan will never allow you to return to the dorms. In truth, you should feel grateful that he hasn't called for you to be removed from the South Dorm. You may be thankful to his sister for that act of kindness."

"Then I shall remain an Unmentionable for all my days?" He bit down on his inner cheek to force himself not to say more that would discourage Armand's assistance.

"I suppose you could try to persuade the Princess to speak to her brother about your situation, but as it stands now Lesatan will not listen to her. He is being provoked by her antics, thus you might want to wait for this storm to pass first." Armand stood perfectly straight with his arms to the side.

Authin stood silently for a moment as if he were gathering his thoughts, though the truth of the matter was that he wanted Armand to take some blame for this. The man may not have told him to attempt to push himself on Lenore, but he was certain that Armand had wanted him to try something along that vein.

"My parents are considering a cousin in my place of me as their heir. My being with the Unmentionable's is a great dishonor to the family, and they do not believe those in power will want dealings with me in the future." Armand tried to offer the man before him his best attempt of looking pitiful.

"As I said," Armand began ignoring the man's eyes in front of him that seemed to glisten with tears. "Princess Lenore will be your only salvation."

With that Armand spun around and disappeared back through the bushes. Authin took a deep breath and looked up toward the clock tower. He would be late for dinner if he did not hurry. Taking one last look at where Armand had disappeared, he went in the opposite direction and ran toward the dining hall.

---***---

Lenore walked along the pathways to make her way to the dining hall. She had run some errands for the Fox after classes and was exhausted. On her way back into the university, she had almost gone to the dorms for dinner even though it had been some time since she had eaten there. Part of her had wanted to just lay down and eat her meal.

Paying little attention to the world around her, she walked steadily as the students around her made room for her. She wondered why they were in no hurry as the dinner roll call would be taken soon.

She thought about her brother as well and what he might be up to, but she knew he wasn't clever enough to do anything against her. His advisers were even less so. It was a wonder that they got anything done as none of them seemed to have any advice for Lesatan other than to bully his way through life. No wonder her father had asked for her to act as his adviser once they left university.

Still, it worried her that Lesatan had seemed so calm about putting her to sleep as he had called it. She was curious as in what manner he would attempt such a thing.

Licking her lips, she realized that as shadow had fallen upon her for some time and she turned her eyes to the left to find the large Mondue.

A grin appeared on her lips, "How long have you been here?"

Santh shrugged his shoulders and continued to walk beside her without a word spoken.

She followed his lead and walked beside him with little said. They would make it almost to the dining hall before Santh finally broke the silence between them.

"You seem preoccupied the last couple of days." He told her; surprised that she hadn't teased him for some time now.

Lenore grinned once more as she looked up at him and then back to the building in the distance. "I have a great deal on my mind."

"I see." He wanted to ask what it was but decided that if Lenore wanted to share her secrets with him then she wouldn't need to be prompted.

Something cold touched his fingers and he looked down to see Lenore's fingers wrap around his own. When he looked up at her, she didn't even bother to look directly at him and instead acted as if this was normal, casual contact between them.

He thought to pull his hand away and tell her that he was not her toy, but for some reason that he would never be able to understand, he said nothing. He held her hand and continued to walk side by side with her.

Some of the students around them took notice and Santh wondered if this incident would reach the Prince's ears. It was only for a brief moment as the thought was wiped away when Lenore smiled at him and began to swing their connected hands back and forth as if she wasn't afraid.

He had never seen Lenore seem so pleased with herself, and he wondered if it was just holding hands with him that caused this change in emotion. He decided it couldn't be and that Lenore was once more playing games with him.

As they approached the stairs the dining hall, Santh pulled his hand away from her and hurried to hide away any thoughts and emotions he had about the last few moments. In doing so, he rubbed his hand against his tabard as if he were cleaning off the touch or perhaps sweat. This action caused Lenore's smirk to vanish though Santh didn't link his action to her own.

When his brows came together, he watched the playful look return to Lenore's eyes.

"Aw, I wasn't finished." She taunted.

Santh snorted through his nose as he walked into the dining hall forcing her to follow behind him. He heard her giggling behind him and shook his head in annoyance.

---***---

Lesatan and Piera had taken their dinner in his office. The table had been set and the two sat quietly across from one another. There hadn't been much conversation between them since the Queen had left to return to the castle.

Piera had asked him a few times if something were the matter, and he would shake his head and continue eating. After her last attempt, she had given up any hope that he would confide his dilemma in her.

The Prince, on the other hand, was haunted by his mother's word. She had called Piera a spy for his sister and made him paranoid to speak around his own future bride. He could feel himself judging every action she made as a betrayal against him, even the way she was eating her meal.

"When did you last see Princess Lenore?" He asked as a way to gain information about her true intentions. He sat up perfectly straight and placed his hands in his lap. His glare never left her own eyes.

She swallowed her food and thought for a moment, "I see her every day when we walk between classes, though we haven't spoken since the tournament. Why do you ask?"

His mother's voice told him that she was lying and that the little spy would have to pay for her crimes. "Lenore put you here to feed her information about my activities, didn't she?"

Piera's mouth dropped slightly, "Lenore off-handedly mentioned me to you, and then you had me dragged in here and announced as your bride. She nor I had any thing to do with the situation that I find myself in, this is all your doing."

"Yes, that's what she would like me to believe." He took a deep long breath. "Would you like to be released from your engagement?" Lesatan hissed still not moving his hands from his lap.

Piera straightened her back and neck, and gave a firm nod. "I knew all along that I was just a pawn to you." She chuckled bitterly as she tried to fight back the tears. "What I never expected was that you would be so paranoid over your own schemes that you would accuse me of being someone else's pawn." She set her napkin on the table and tried her best to hold back the tears. "Lenore isn't playing your chess game. When I told her that you and I were engaged, she told me to distance myself from her as she feared something like this would happen. It was the most heartbreaking experience of my life. I was starting to have real friends and your actions took that all away from me. I will be glad to rid myself of this engagement, despite how I may have grown fond of you."

Lesatan had been uncharacteristically quiet during her speech and when she finished, she watched him lift the lid to his meal and begin to eat.

Piera decided that meant she was meaningless to him and he wanted her to leave. Clearing her throat, she stood up and was about to say her goodbyes when he interrupted her.

"Sit. Eat." Lesatan ordered. When she stared down at him with curiosity, he turned his eyes up to her. "There will be no end to this engagement. Grow use to your heartbreak."

She tried to ensure that her lip did not quiver as she sat back down and picked up her napkin again. Piera wasn't certain if she was more upset that she hadn't been able to escape this hell or if she was thrilled that he had demanded she stay. Her situation was one she wanted to run from but whenever she was given an opportunity she did not have the courage to use it to completion.

Such as this moment. She could have said so much more until Lesatan was filled with rage and she was certain the engagement would end then, but she stopped short.

As they ate in silence again, Piera would occasionally look up at him briefly in hopes her moment had not passed. She would convince herself to have her say but then feared what would happen if the engagement truly did end. Her family would be disgraced and her own name covered in filth. Most of all, however, she feared never eating another meal with the Prince again.

"I believe you." Lesatan told her as he tossed his own napkin onto the table, before standing up and walking out the door.

Piera finally found herself alone and put her hand over her mouth so the guard outside could not hear. She cried for a few moments, this confusion was growing out of hand and soon there would be no escape.

---***---

After their evening meal, everyone began to make their way back to the dorms. Routine motioned with his head for Lenore to come stand closer to him, before they fell back behind the group. They continued to keep their pace slow until the others were far enough away, at least to Routine's satisfaction.

"I received written confirmation from my parents that they disprove of our engagement." He explained.

Lenore raised an eyebrow and came to a full stop. Routine had expected her to do so and he stood quietly with his hands behind his back as the hordes of other students walked around them, and their dorm mates disappeared into the distance.

"It is because of the power struggle, isn't it?" She sighed. "I should have planned for this in greater detail."

For two houses to marry their children into the same house does not spread an alliance. It is better to marry children to different houses so there is a greater connection which causes greater loyalty. They both knew this could be an issue and only waited for this decision to be made; in hopes they wouldn't until the four finished at the university.

"If your parents are proclaiming this, then it goes without saying that they have discussed this with my father and the Queen." She folded her arms and briefly looked at the passing students to ensure that they were trying their best to ignore her conversation.

"The declaration of their intentions was clear enough, though they did not mention your father or the Queen. They would not make their designs this clear unless they had been given license by your father. It would be a great insult to the Cromwell name if they were rejected from marriage."

Lenore chuckled, "Yes, that's how my father found himself with a Vinson bride." She sighed. "What plans do they have for you?"

"They have not rendered their verdict as to the end our engagement, but they are investigating other prospects. It would be illogical for them to allow this to continue. As long as Piera is to be wed to the Prince there is no value in our arrangement any longer." Routine didn't look anger or upset. Instead, he seemed to understand his parents' plight.

"As this was not a true engagement, I suppose it doesn't matter. Though, if I had to be forced into a marriage without any love, I would have preferred it to be with you." She gently patted his shoulder. In truth, she felt like this was another rejection of herself, but she was not going to allow her friend to take on the burden of her own childhood.

"The feeling would be mutual. I am content to have had some rest from my parents' constant pleas on marriage. Piera is far too engrossed in her Prince to deal with my new dilemma, and therefore will be unable to plague me as she did before. This gives my parents little power over this situation. I would say that this engagement was a success."

Lenore smiled and began to walk forward with Routine at her side. She wrapped her arm around the crook of his arm and laid her head on his shoulder. "Have you spoken to Piera? I have not seen her in some time. Is my brother treating her well?"

"Yes, I see her often enough. Though it is in brief interludes." He explained as they walked slowly back to the dorms. "She does not speak ill of him, but neither does she offer any praise. Her words carry an unvarnished message."

"Does she seem happy?"

Routine snorted, "Perhaps that question would be better suited for someone capable of seeing outside themselves." His voice carried an almost humorous tone to it.

Lenore smiled but continued to walk beside him. She was worried for Piera. The girl had no idea what she would be walking into once the Queen truly became involved in her life. "Byron?" She didn't wait for him to respond. "I want to drink tonight. Do you suppose we could convince Ophelia and Remus to break into their stock?"

"I highly doubt Ophelia would be the obstacle."

---***---

Sitting under the boy's canopy and on the floor of the platform, everyone passed around a couple bottles of mead and shared some of the pastries. It hadn't taken much to convince Remus to break into the stock as it seemed he was more than ready to have a drink himself. The group looked tired though none of them were willing to admit it.

Lenore knew that once the council heard her petition that the world would grow darker for the other females in the university. She had done what she could to prepare them, but she doubted anyone had the strength to sustain it.

Remus was also worried about what the petition would do to Ophelia, but he kept his worry to himself as he didn't want to destroy her illusions. Though, Ophelia, herself, was very much aware of what either outcome might create for her. There were positives and negatives to both sides, but she kept talking about the positives so that everyone would think she was unworried.

Santh had his mind full of his father's journal though he had not forgotten the girls' plight. He had been getting along well enough with Lenore that he loathed to cause any trouble between them. It was a question as to why, as he had almost enjoyed scolding her and fighting with her before.

Anton had his issues with his parents that plagued his thoughts, and Jolon worried endlessly for Saena. It seemed that only Routine was calm and without worry. Though one could never truly tell what he was thinking.

Remus sat close on the floor to Ophelia. The two had made it clear enough that they had intentions between them, and Lenore had tried to act pleased. However, she knew their future would never be. Not if Ophelia wanted to take back her father's seat and Remus would become the Merchant's Guild Leader, whether he knew it or not. If they wanted to get married, one of them would have to leave their party to join the others, which would mean they couldn't have their appointments.

Every time, Lenore saw a lover's glance between them or a gentle touch, she tried to keep her knowledge to herself. She had a loyalty to her friends, but she had something far more important with Pymus. A loyalty that was beyond questioning, as she knew she would have to create with Remus one day. She questioned herself every time she said nothing, and wondered if this would hurt the relationship with the Merchant's Guild in the future. To betray the future Guild Leader under the orders of the present Guild Leader weighed on her heart.

"I wish Saena could be here." Ophelia finally spoke out loud and destroyed the silence between the group. "She would probably have some stories to tell us."

"You want to hear a story?" Remus chuckled. "I might have one or two to tell."

Lenore didn't even allow him to begin, "There once was a girl whose father betrayed the king. She lost her place in the world, but the King was merciful even after that girl's father had slain his best friend."

No one knew where Lenore was going with this story, and Ophelia couldn't help but cringe at the verbal acknowledgment of what her father had done to Santh's.

"He promised her that if she finished four years of university that he would allow her family back into their keep, and would give them all their riches back. So, the girl went to university and she worked very hard. She was beaten by the other students, humiliated, and called a traitor almost every day, but that didn't stop her from smiling and befriending anyone who was willing."

Ophelia smiled gently.

"She even befriended the son of the man her father had killed, and adopted him as a brother. She became friends with that King's very daughter, who should have loathed her for her father's betrayal. She fell in love with the Merchant's Guild Leader's son, whose father would have every reason not to allow them to see each other, as he was close friends with the man her father had killed." Lenore was leaning against the end of the bed with one knee up and one leg down. "She even gained the tolerance of the eccentric, future Souchan Guild Leader. Which is no easy feat."

They all laughed.

"She brought the entire group together when she befriended two commoners who were beneath her former station, but no one was ever beneath her notice." Lenore continued as tears began to fill Ophelia's eyes. "She knew that the future was bleak, but she would have her dream and the friends she created around her would ensure that for her."

"What happened to her?" Ophelia asked.

Lenore almost felt as though the rest of their dorm mates were not present and listening; that this was a private conversation between the two of them. "She worked hard and regained her family's seat. Where she was loved by her citizens and remembered for all her kindness."

"That was a good story." Ophelia chuckled and move away from Remus to sit next to Lenore. She placed her head on the Princess' shoulder. "The ending was the best part."

---***---

Damek sat at the table in one of the private rooms of the library. He looked over a scroll that he had read at least ten times that day and sighed. He was waiting for someone to arrive, but they were running late. Of course, this particular student seemed to lack the ability to be prompt.

The door opened and a first year student popped his head in to see if he found the right room. His face was younger than he truly was, which gained him trust amongst the other student council members. He seemed so sweet and innocent, which is exactly why Damek had chosen him for the tasks he had.

The boy nervously shut the door behind him and then remained standing as he shifted his weight from one foot to another. He fiddled with his fingers in front of his stomach. Damek couldn't stand weak individuals but had many times found a use for them.

"Well?" He finally asked the boy when they had sat staring at each other for over a minute.

"I've... I've... talked to the council members." He ran his fingers through his messy straw colored hair.

Damek waited for the boy to complete his sentence, but he did not add anything. "And?" He spoke with annoyance.

"It... it seems... well, I think her petition will pass. Even... even the Prince's advisers say that he will vote to instate it." He began to fidget with his fingers again.

"Lesatan plans to pass his sister's petition?" He sat back in his chair and folded his hands on the table. "Did they explain why?"

"It was... they spoke in metaphors." He told him but didn't continue to explain that metaphor.

Damek could fell his patience breaking, but he knew that this boy was too important to him right now to scare away. Even if he had promised him one of his sisters as a wife, the boy might run and decline the deal. He might even tell the other council members what he was up to. "And what metaphor was that?"

"Something... something about putting the beast to sleep."

He smirked, "Ah, yes. I have heard that many times from Lesatan. Normally, it is meant in a way of defeating her, but now he seeks to appease her." He pressed his lips together and began to tap his fingers on the table. "Well, we certainly can not allow that, now can we?"

"Why?" The boy continued to shift his weight from one foot to another.

Damek thought the boy might start dancing at any moment. "The country can not allow women to gain a higher education outside the Royal Guild. Could you imagine if all these women were capable of joining us? Our bloodlines were be destroyed. Lesatan always failed to see the big picture. He only looks to appease those around him." He snorted. "This is why he will be a poor king."

"What shall we do then?" He asked and watched Damek motion him to sit at the table.

"We must run a campaign of our own. If Lesatan backs his sister's actions, then we must provide a safe way for the council to decide against them. After all, they will both hold powerful positions and the last thing our poor, helpless council wants is to upset them." He cleared his throat. "We need to get a majority vote, and I believe I know who we should begin with. He will be able to convince the others."

"Who?"

Damek glared up at the boy and tried his best not to grind his teeth. "You needn't worry. Just take this note when I am finished."