Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 31: Bird of Prey

Today, the Prince and I worked out the last details before we were to meet Pymus. I set out to find him; only to be informed that he was housed in the Royal Dorms. It did not surprise me to learn that the richest and most powerful member of the Commoners' Guild had managed to convince these Royals to share their well protected home with him.

When I extended the invitation at his bedroom door, Pymus had seemed suspicious of my intentions. Rightfully so, and I thought for a moment that all our planning was for not. However, after a few moments, he grinned and even lead me to the Prince's study. At that moment, I suspected he had done some planning of his own.

Inside the study, the Prince had not yet arrived. He demanded to have a late entrance under some pretense that Princes do not wait for commoners, but commoners always wait for their Prince. I still am uncertain what he was trying to convey, however it was not worth the argument. Over the past few weeks, I have learned that arguing with Prince Lucius is futile. If he can not win with logic, he will do so by using words beyond my vocabulary which leaves me in confusion and unable to respond.

I got the feeling that Pymus might have the same strategy, so I plan to remove a dictionary from the library after classes tomorrow. I thought reading analects were tedious, but at the very least they were full sentences.

"That incense scent is quite foul." Pymus told me as he sat in the chair in front of the Prince's desk.

I was leaning against the door as I waited for my Prince. The incense in question was above the fireplace behind the Prince's desk. It's scent was a mix of woods and it had been the cause of my headaches over the weeks, but Prince Lucius seemed enthralled by it.

I chose not to respond to him, which proved to be the wise choice as the Prince entered the room at that moment. He ordered me to close to door and flung himself into his chair. Folding his hands on the desk, he leaned forward toward Pymus.

"We have never been formally introduced, have we?" The Prince was not following the script that we had gone over, but there was nothing I could say that would not create more suspicion in Pymus at that moment.

Pymus seemed rather amused by this approach, "No, your grace, we have not."

I had suspected that the Prince would introduce himself, but it seemed as if he had no elegant way of transitioning to his point. I dare say that conversation was difficult to watch.

"I understand that you are capable of accommodating items that are not permitted on school grounds." Prince Lucius leaned back.

We had planned to gain Pymus' trust before asking him such questions, but once more I was without the ability to speak.

To my surprise, Pymus leaned back in his chair with his left leg crossed over his right and began to tap his finger tips together. He smiled widely.

No doubt if he was the Fox then he would be aware of the Prince's hunt for him, and in these moments he might be able to add up the elements of these facts and realize we were aware of who he truly was. However, as I would learn as the evening went on, Pymus is far too egotistical and cocksure to ever consider he could be caught.

"It is common knowledge that I am the Fox's right hand, but if you have summoned me in here for your continued witch hunt, milord, I am afraid I will be of no assistance." There was humor in his voice.

"Why would you not be?"

Pymus dropped his hands into his lap. "I have never seen his face and we meet in random locations of his choosing. Also..."

"Enough." Lucius growled. He knew that Pymus was lying and he couldn't stand being lied to. "I have given up my search for the Fox as I have other needs I want met."

"Please do tell, your grace."

If this conversation had taken place between any other two people, they both would have run as far away from each other as possible. I am certain that Pymus has plans for my Prince, and I know that my Prince has plans for Pymus. I am not certain how to proceed as both are overwhelmingly confident that they have the other in his pocket, and perhaps that is not far from the truth.

---***---

Outside the Lion's Hall, students were gathered as they waited for the student council within. Their faint murmurs could be heard in the circular room that the council was in, but it was not loud enough to cause them any bother.

The room was lined with benches for the student council members to sit in, except for the large break at the head of the room where a wooden throne with red velvet cushions sat. This was for the head councilmen, a seat which Lesatan had taken from his cousin upon first arrival to the school.

Paintings of councilmen gone by lined the walls, and even though the room was ages old, it still smelled of the wood that it was crafted from. The benches themselves were an entire piece of wood and the building had been built around it, as once crafted it could never be moved.

In the center of the room was an arena of sorts. Two small tables faced the throne where students would debate each other on topics that ranged from breakfast menus to predicaments such as the one they were having today.

"Women are already permitted to remain at this school if they can afford it." Damek stood in front of one of the tables in the center of the stage and looked around the room at the benches that were filled with other members of the council. "There is no need to change this school's tradition. Women know that by stepping out of their place, they must be forced to face the harsh reality that they will be seen poorly by the next guild they join."

"Preposterous!" Lesatan snapped at his cousin. He had thought to fight this battle from his throne, but decided to act according to rules and stand at the other table. "A woman is allowed to marry into another guild, but we frown upon her using her mind at this university to find her way there."

"Women are pawns of their family. Born to be used to create alliances, and create children for the future." Damek stared down his cousin.

Ignoring Damek, Lesatan turned to face the council. "I am not asking the council to change society. That would be beyond our reach, instead I simply ask that you vote to ensure that they may remain in the female's dorm after their second year."

"This school is to teach us the way of the real world. When a woman steps out of her place, she will be shunned and pushed around. She must learn this here in a safer environment, and if she is strong enough then she will do well and if she is not then her nonsense will end." Damek's comment created murmurs of appreciation within the council.

"Yet, our royal ladies are permitted to stay for eight years, and we do not bat an eyelash." Lesatan snorted.

"Our royal ladies can only marry laterally or down, we do not have to fear them entering into our guild without proper alliances being forged." Damek informed him. "Lady Piera proves this point. Had she not become engaged to you while at this school, she would not be considered a Royal and would be expected to leave. Enough." Damek added the last word when he saw that Lesatan was about to speak again. "We have been arguing in circles since before breakfast, night will be upon us soon enough. It is time to vote."

Lesatan didn't appreciate that Damek had taken over but he said no more as he returned to his throne and began to write his answer on the small scroll. When all of the scrolls were counted, the basket was laid at Lesatan's feet where he added his own and began to announce the votes.

He would count them three times, before he admitted that he had been defeated. Krius, Armand, and Enoch sat beside him as the rest of the room shook hands. Lesatan had only received four votes in his favor, and he knew where they had come from. Which meant that Damek had done something to create this sudden change in his council, and he would discover why his dear cousin was undermining him.

---***---

Remus had come to Lion's Hall to hear the final verdict of the council, though in truth he had wanted to be there for Ophelia when the time came. Of course, he had left the dorm that morning and had spent much of his day wandering from bench to bench.

Everyone from the dorm had wanted to go with Lenore and Ophelia to stand outside and wait, but the girls had demanded that they had created this on their own and wanted to see it through on their own.

The rest of the males at the dorm had dispersed to enjoy their rest day, but Remus had noticed Santh by noon that day. He was standing under a tree's shade and watching the large group of girls and some males in the distance.

Knowing that the sun would set in a matter of moments, Remus was quite aware that the council would soon announce their decision. He walked over to his friend who had not moved an inch from the spot he had planted himself in. His arms crossed and his shoulder propping him up against the tree.

"You realize that Lenore has more than likely spotted us by now." Remus said as he walked up to his friend.

"Good. A Princess can command her court to do as she pleases, but a friend can never command another to not care." Santh grumbled.

Remus was surprised that he admitted to being here for Lenore, as he would normally make an excuse to pretend that he was protecting the other women in the group. Remus leaned on the other side of the tree. "Do you believe that council will vote in their favor?"

"I believe that if they do not, Lenore will not rest. It would be in their best interests if they wish to sleep peacefully."

The merchant chuckled, "Fair point, but unfortunately we are dealing with the second Cromwell sibling."

Santh took a deep breath, "He is a fool. His sister is not."

"You certainly have high praises for our Princess. I question whether some substantial event has occurred that has finally brought the two of you together."

"I have been reading my father's journal. It has given great insight into how our parents came together. In truth, even though our friendships have been wracked with arguments and resentment, there has always been honesty. Not something I can say about our parents." Santh would not tell his friend that he now knew that Remus was the Fox, however. It had not shocked him to make the discovery though. He had always suspected, but did not care enough to investigate.

"Truly? Perhaps, I should have a look at this journal."

"When I am finished."

A rustling came from the bushes behind them, and Routine appeared. Remus hadn't noticed him that day, but from his rosy cheeks, he concluded that the Souchan had been out in the sun for most of the day as well. A surprising feat for a library rat.

"It appears that all of our dorm's classfellows have concocted this plan." Routine used his index finger to point to a wall in the distance, where Jolon and Anton had hidden themselves from the rest of the population.

"Indeed, on the next occurrence we should come together as a group. At least then one of us can fetch water." Remus joked, but Routine and Santh agreed with his assessment.

"The verdict will no doubt be given within the hour." Routine almost looked as if he would sigh, but prevented himself.

As if right on cue, the Lion's Hall's bells rang. The announcement would be made.

---***---

The group that had gathered stood patiently and had all day, though Ophelia had complained about hunger. During lunch, several of the girls had disappeared but returned with dried meat and bread for every one.

Lenore watched the double doors with the large ornate lion's head as if she were a bird of prey and the door her victim. She rarely removed her eyes from it as the other girls around her chatted amongst themselves. Krine and Ophelia spent the majority of time talking to one another though they had little to say, yet they had managed to fill an entire day with mindless chatter.

Lenore had noticed Piera make an appearance, but she knew better than to get close enough to draw attention to herself. She had to seem supportive of whatever her future husband decided, and therefore could not allow others to believe she was there to show her support.

The large double doors began to open and the perfect lion's head broke apart with some following the left door and the rest following the right. Those who knew about this door were aware that the lion's head was an elaborate lock designed by the Souchan's to protect their precious information.

Mondue guards pushed the doors open as widely as possible as the council began to filter out. Lesatan stood at the top of the stairs while everyone else made their way down into the crowd.

Lenore caught Damek's eye and he walked over to her with a frown on his lips. When he reached her, he placed his hand on her shoulder.

"No?" She asked with disappointment in her voice, but asked low enough that only he, Krine, and Ophelia could hear.

He shook his head, "I am sorry, Lenore. The Prince always gets his way. You can not fight the nature of the throne."

Lenore looked up at her brother, who held up the scroll.

"The Lion's Head Student Council has debated petition four nine seven eight three five and has ruled sixteen to four against it." He announced before tossing the scroll aside and heading down the stairs himself to stand next to his advisers.

The group that had gathered did not groan or cause any vocal noise. Their souls removed from them, they quickly disappeared from the area as if they needed to return to their rooms and lick their wounds.

Lenore ran over to her brother and glared at him. "Is this how you thought you would put me to sleep as you called it?"

Lesatan, who had been talking to his advisers, looked shocked to see his sister so suddenly and with so much anger in her eyes.

Krius began to speak, but Lesatan held up his hand to silence him.

"This is not over, Lesatan. You will vote this ruling in while we still attend this school, I swear it." She snapped before turning around and stomping back toward her dorm with Ophelia and Krine closely following behind her.

Lesatan noticed Damek in the distance with a grin on his lips as he watched Lenore storm away. He knew that his cousin was somehow responsible for his sister's outburst.

"Why not tell her that you fought for the petition, milord?" Krius asked.

Enoch and Armand seemed to hold the same question.

"She would not believe me. Let us return to the dorm."

---***---

Lesatan was met with the same anger that he had received from his sister when he found Piera in his study. Standing in front of his desk with his arms crossed and her eyes full of fire.

The Prince informed his other advisers to wait outside as he closed the door behind him. He did not want them to see another woman yelling at him today, but this one would not be allowed to get away with it like Lenore had. He had held his piece for too long and was antagonized enough by his own council's betrayal.

"How could you cast down that vote?" She started to speak before the door was even completely closed. "From what you told me in the last few days, you had plans to push it through, but instead I discover that you were lying to me to keep me in good humor."

Lesatan snorted as he came to stand before her with his own arms crossed. He thought about every item in the room that he could throw to cause a scene that would end this conversation, but he knew this would frighten her and that was enough to keep him from returning to his old way of dealing with anger.

"Whenever I think there might be good within your heart, you must prove to me that it doesn't exist." When she watched Lesatan roll his eyes, she grew more furious with him, but she had to keep as calm as one could in these moments. He was still the Prince, and even if she was to be his Princess some day, she was not one yet. "That must be the reason, as I can think of none other."

"You can not always believe the rumors that surround me." Lesatan finally spoke, but though the words themselves were calm, the venom behind them was clear enough.

So, clear that Piera was uncertain whether she should continue this conversation or not, but the Prince decided for her.

"It is difficult enough that my own sister doesn't bother to ask me what occurred in that room or what my final vote was, but to have my bride-to-be do the same... well, I am beginning to wonder if my mother was right about who you truly are." He hissed the words before walking around his desk and taking a seat in the chair.

"Who I really am?"

Lesatan had several letters on his desk and he opened the wax seal of one of them, before looking back into her eyes. "My mother believes that Lenore planted you at my side, so that you may assist her in my downfall."

Piera stood in shock. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth fell slightly ajar. "Surely, you can not believe that."

He returned his attention to the letter in front of him, "It grows more difficult to defend the position that you are not, when you act as if I am the villain in your life."

There was a brief silence between them. Piera watched him read a letter and then pull out his ink and pen to write a reply. She had no idea who the letter was from or what he was saying in return. In truth, she had little knowledge of what his plans were or who he acquainted himself with, other than the obvious.

When he was half way through the letter, Piera finally spoke. "What vote did you cast today?" She tried to sound as sweet as she could without sounding patronizing.

Lesatan stopped writing and lifted his head to look at her. "Does it matter now?"

"I see." She felt that was confirmation that he had voted against the petition, as she suspected. The council would never vote against him. He had been fooling her. "May I take my leave? I am feeling very tired... your grace."

Piera had been calling him by his first name when they were in private, so it did not go unnoticed by Lesatan that she had instead used a title. "You may go. Tell my advisers to leave me to my letters."

When Piera left the room and closed the door, Lesatan flicked the papers on his desk off. He stood up and once again looked around for something to break, but he could find nothing that would satisfy him.

All male members of the dorm returned as fast as possible to the dorm's court. They did not want the girls to know that they had watched over them during the day, though every one suspected that Lenore's hawk eye vision had spotted most of them. Even so, the boys hurried to find themselves an activity to seem as if they had been occupied with it all day.

Santh scurried to his bed and opened his father's journal, while Routine grabbed the lap desk and began to finish his school work. Remus paced back and forth as he read a ledger and mumbled to himself. Anton and Jolon pulled out some cards and sat on the platform between the beds, they hurried to make it seem if it they were in the middle of a game.

They could hear Lenore's voice in the distance and all of them briefly looked up before returning to the dramatization of their activities. As Krine, Ophelia, and Lenore appeared, so did a small group of other female students. They filled the court and seemed to wait for what their Princess would say was next.

Lenore hopped onto the platform. She didn't have to tell anyone to silence themselves as there were no questions being flung her way. Everyone had their worries in their eyes. Santh was on the bed near Lenore and he slowly slid off the bed and made his way to one of the beds in the back of the platform.

"I know that today's verdict was disappointing. We worked so very hard and were mocked for our efforts not just by other students who threw their rubbish at us, but by the very council." Her eyes passed over the crowd of thirty to forty students. "We are not done. We have finally begun to talk about a dilemma that has always plagued this school. We are victorious in opening that dialogue, but we are not finished. They did not cast the killing blow today. No, they made us even more determined and even stronger than before."

"I don't see how that can be." A unfamiliar woman's voice came from the crowd.

Lenore looked in the direction of the voice, "Did you not see what we accomplished? For the first time in this university's history, women forced the council to speak of our education. We made them. They didn't choose to do it. They didn't want to. We forced their hand, and we will again and again until they grow weary of hearing from us."

Another woman called out from the crowd, "What about those of us that only have this year? We can't come back next year with no dorm to stay in."

The Princess fell quiet, "We still have one more tournament to go through until the end of the year. We will find a way. Just give me time."

Remus was standing near the edge of the forest and his eyes looked over the decrepit dorm. He then surveyed the girls in the crowd, followed by his own dorm mates. "Milady." He called out and all eyes fell to him as he walked over to the platform to stand next to her. "If they won't give these woman a place to stay, may I suggest that we build them a place to stay." He pointed toward the dorm behind her.

"Are you suggesting that we rebuild the dorm, Remus?" Lenore looked shocked.

"If these girls return, they will need a fortress. A place where they can all protect themselves and each other. We already have a thatcher and a carpenter on hand. All we need now is supplies, which I am sure I can find at reasonable prices. The money is the only object." Remus looked to the crowd, "If we all pitch in a small amount, we can afford to rebuild the dorm. During the summer, if we stay behind for our breaks we can make this place into a castle fit for any woman's guild standing."

Ophelia walked onto the platform when she felt the crowd did not enjoy this plan. "It will be larger?" She asked Remus.

"Much larger." He could tell she was helping to sell this idea to the girls.

"More refined?"

"More refined." He echoed.

She looked around, "There will be a garden with flowers in this court?"

"Indeed."

Ophelia looked towards the women in the group, "Do you wish to go home or do you wish to stay at this school? This school teaches us to work hard to accomplish our goals, and to put faith in ourselves and each other. Shall we test this theory?"

Krine spoke up, "I have a great deal saved. I offer it all to this project."

Lenore smiled at her Mondue friend, "I do not have much as my brother keeps all my allowance, but I do have some money. It will all go to this project as well."

There was a brief silence as the crowd seemed to think, before another woman's voice spoke. "Who shall we give this money to?"

"Remus." Lenore told them and watched as they all scurried out of the court. She hoped that they were going to collect their money, but she knew some would not return. "I hope you are certain about this." She looked to her merchant friend. A hand appeared on her shoulder and she looked at Santh standing beside her.

"Have I ever led you astray?" Remus smirked.

---***---

Very few girls returned with any money or items that they could offer. Remus went over the numbers and decided that in order to house as many girls as Lenore wanted that they would need five times the amount already given to them. No matter how good of a deal he could get on the supplies unless they were free, this idea was failing before it had even begun.

"Don't you have anything to offer the pile, Remus?" Lenore asked as they all sat on the beds under the boys' platform.

Ophelia and Lenore shared a bed while Jolon and Anton sat together on another. Authin had appeared a few moments after the group had dispersed, but recently he hadn't seemed interested in talking to any one. He remained silent and distant, and therefore sat on the platform of the dorm while he worked on his studies.

Remus looked up from the scroll in his hand to Lenore, "I am a businessman, Lenore. Not a charity."

"You live here too." Ophelia snapped, "You should put something into the pile."

"I am putting my connections and expertise in so that we get discounts for our supplies. I do not understand why you both can not see that is enough." Remus was beginning to sound defensive.

The Princess sighed and looked over at the bed beside her own where Santh sat. "Then I suppose all this planning was for naught."

Ophelia looked disappointed so she lowered her head. Routine who had been quiet all along had offered what he could, but knew that his father would not approve of this venture. As donating a building to the school was something one should do for praise not behind the councils' back. His father might have been fine with rebuilding what was already there, but he knew for certain this idea was far too grand to fund.

"I do not have much in the way of liquidated funds." Remus admitted. "What little I did have, I have allotted to Saena as you recall." He waited for someone to respond but no one did. "I am not the heir to the Merchant's Guild. I do not have the authority to demand people donate supplies to a project."

"What of Crolus?" Lenore asked, and the name caused Santh to add his attention more firmly into the conversation.

He shook his head, "He hasn't been named either."

"Princess Lenore." A Mondue guardsman appeared from the path. He walked over to the platform and then proceeded to fall to one knee with his head down. Lenore knew immediately that this was one of Damek's guardsmen as Lesatan's never bowed to her. "Milady, Lord Damek has asked that you attend a meeting in his study. May I bring him news that you accept?"

"Now?"

He looked up briefly at her, his bright blue eyes seemed to hold worry but the rest of his face was hidden behind a helmet. "Yes, milady."

"Very well." She waved him away and stood up.

"May I walk you, milady?" The guardsman asked.

Santh stood from the bed, "She already has a Mondue to watch over her. Be gone." He growled. Everyone looked surprised by his actions, and he was well aware of their eyes upon him. "We do not know how the student body will react now that they know you can be defeated."

"Agreed, but that is probably why walking with one of Damek's guards would be of more benefit than walking with another Unmentionable." She looked back down at the guard, but he was already half way down the path. Scared into a frenzy by the large Mondue who was the son of Varden, their most fierce warrior. Lenore sighed, and looked over to Santh who offered out his arm for her to take.

She continued to walk forward toward the path, and Santh continue to hold out his arm. When the annoyed Princess refused to take his arm and only glared up at him from time to time, Santh reached down to grab her hand. It shocked Lenore that he would be so emboldened, but to prevent any bickering she said nothing.

Remus watched them walk into the distance. He was curious to know what Damek wanted with Lenore as he never approached her before this, however his interest waned as he watched Ophelia stand up from the bed and make her way around the dorm. With all the quickness he could muster, he hurried to follow behind her.

---***---

As Remus turned the corner, he found Ophelia sitting on her bed with her ball gown laying next to her. She touched it gently and seemed lost in a world where no one around her existed. He decided to watch her for a few moments, as she smiled though her eyes filled with tears.

Making his way slowly over to her, he said nothing until he reached the platform. "Lady Ophelia, do not fret. We will be victorious, and you will return to this school within the next year."

Ophelia looked up from her dress and at Remus with a smile on her lips. "I am well aware that you and Lenore will not rest until your goals are met. I know, however, that even if I have a place to sleep and keep my belongings, I still have to step foot on the rest of the campus. I will be tormented once again, and there will be little that Lenore can do to save me."

Remus scoffed, "You forget whom your love is, dear. The Merchant Guild Leader's son, and the Fox's right hand. You think those drivels of society would dare harm a hair on your head?" He stepped on the platform and sat down beside her. Taking her hand that she used to pet the dress into his own, though he had forgotten the dress was even there and had sat down upon it.
"The two of you can not always be there to protect me, Remus." She looked into his eyes.

"Our reputations will always exist, my dear. Our, ha! My reputation. I do not need the Princess to protect my own lady fair." He leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

Ophelia chuckled. "What of the other girls?"

The humor left his eyes, "I am certain that Lenore and I will do whatever is within our power, but there are only so many hours in the day."

She nodded her head as she thought over his words, and a weak smile came to her lips. "Sometimes, I loathe how you can make me feel better with mere words, when I truly wished to be sad."

"Perhaps then we should work out some code, so I know that you want none of my consoling?" He thought for a moment as he continue to hold her head. "Ah, thrust the back of your hand to your forehead like so." He mimicked his words which made Ophelia chuckle, "Then say, 'All is lost in the world! I can give nothing more than tears!' After that, toss yourself onto the ground as if you have fainted." He pretended to faint as he fell into the bed.

Ophelia shook her head, "I do not believe I will be acting in that manner any time soon, Remus."

He propped himself up on his elbows. "Fine, fine. However, I warn you that unless you do what I have stated to perfection without one single word amiss. I will have to console you and make you balanced after every tear."

She shook her head playfully, "Then I suppose I will have to get used to the disappointment of never being sad."

"I suppose you will."

Ophelia laid back on the bed next to Remus, who laid flat on his back as well. "I wonder where we will find the rest of the money. Do you have any plans?"

"There are a few twisting and turning in my mind, but nothing that I feel should be shared at this moment." He lifted his arm out from between them and offered it to Ophelia as a pillow.

Lifting her head, she turned to her side to look at him. "If you share them with me, then I can assist in fleshing them out. I may not appear to be a strategist, but I do well enough in such classes."

Remus smirked and looked over at her. "My dear, you are as cunning as I am. I am certain of it, but I am afraid that I can not share my plans with you at this time. As they are only bits and pieces, and not yet even close to a full ideas."

She sighed. "Alright, but you will share once it is nearly a full idea?"

"I will share. I promise."

Closing her eyes, Ophelia continued to smile. "Good."

---***---

As Santh and Lenore disappeared together, and Remus followed Ophelia behind the dorm. Routine took a letter that he had received that morning from his satchel. It was stamped with blue wax and his family crest of two pens crossed like swords had been carefully pressed into it. Taking a deep breath, he broke the seal and began to read the letter.

Dear son,

I am writing to you with the deepest regret a mother can have. I fear that your father and I have come to a decision for our house, and with the King's permission and agreement, we have ended the engagement between Princess Lenore and yourself.

I truly fought against this, but I am certain that you are aware of the positions we hold and those that you will hold someday. To tie ourselves to one house twice is the definition of foolishness.

Your father and I did not take this decision lightly. We know how close you are to the Princess and it is rare for you to offer your affections to anyone. However, after much consideration, we could not end Piera's engagement. For such a promise to end would cast shame on the Nicoletti household once Prince Lesatan came to control his father's throne.

I, also, have reasons to believe that your sister has begun to have feelings for the young Prince. With all this in mind, we had no other option but to make the decision that we had.

I hope that you will find it within yourself to forgive your father and me. I wish that you both could have married whom you willed, yet that is not the way our positions allow us to live.

Please reply.

Love,

Mother

Routine frowned at the letter. He did not enjoy making his mother feel so sorrowful, and was aware that his engagement to Lenore was at the very least less than honorable.

Grabbing his desk, his pen and ink well, and a scroll. He decided to reply. Looking around the area, he thought for several moments. Anton and Jolon continued to play a game of cards, while Authin studied on the platform of the old dorm.

Taking a deep breath, he placed his pen to the paper.

Lady Renata Nicoletti,

I was fully aware of the decision father and you would have to adjudicate. I had prepared Lenore for this outcome, and we expected that ours would be the engagement eradicated.

The Princess Lenore and I are conscious of the roles that we were born to bare, and have no scorn for father, the King, or you.

Release your burden.

Byron Nicoletti, first son of Vidal Nicoletti

Folding the paper, he located his seal wax and his seal in the basket next to his bed. He was quick to melt the wax and seal the letter, before placing it in his basket to be taken upon the the next mail pick up.

Leaning back on his bed, he crossed his arms. After what had occurred that day, he decided that he would not inform Lenore that their engagement had been officially ended until tomorrow. There had been enough disappointments today.

Though, he suspected that Lenore would not be too burdened. There was no romantic love between them, and their marriage was only meant as a way to protect them both from any suitors. Though, he knew that once his mother's guilt had passed that she would begin the process of locating his new bride.

Of course, Lenore would have the same issues, and the rumors were that the Queen was eager to wed her step daughter away.

Routine took a deep breath once more. He was disappointed with this outcome, as his family had been quiet for so long on the issue, and now it would return in full force.

---***---

Damek's study seemed to desperately try to look as close to Lesatan's as possible. Before Lenore's brother had arrived, everything that Lesatan had was once Damek's. However, as soon as her brother entered the school he commandeered the bedroom, the study, and the council seat.

She remembered her cousin being quite upset, but at the time she wondered why he had not expected such a move. It seemed that such things would be common place for him. She knew they were common enough for her.

Damek sat behind his desk with his back to a fire place. Two over stuffed chairs sat in front of another fire place with a table between them, the only item that was truly missing was the ink stained bear skin on the floor.

Lenore entered the study as Santh followed behind her. She ignored her cousin's two guards, who barely spoke to her before they received a glare from Santh that seemed to silence him.

The Princess had been unaware of Santh's hold on the Mondue population until that day. She had expected him to be seen as his father's son, but Santh seemed to be much more than that.

"Lady Lenore, please enter and sit." Damek stood behind his desk. "If you would, leave your Mondue outside."

Santh certainly did not like being referred to as her Mondue, but he looked down at her to see what she would say.

"Santh, could you please wait outside?"

He nodded his head once before walking out the door, and shutting it behind him.

Lenore took her seat in front of her cousin's desk. "What was so urgent that you must speak with me this moment?"

"I feel truly terrible about what occurred today. In truth, I had fought for your side, but found little that I could accomplish. No one would dare disobey your brother."

Lenore placed her hands in her lap and folded them. "Apparently, there were four members of the council who felt comfortable enough. Also, last I spoke to you, I was certain you had no interest in allowing females to remain here longer."

"You are very convincing." He smiled at her. "May I ask what your next move shall be?"

She stared at her cousin for several moments, unsure what this man was doing. "Why do you ask?"

"I would like to assist."

Swallowing, she thought about the money they needed for the dorm and decided to chance telling him. "We are going to rebuild the dorm into something much larger and nicer to give anyone who wishes to stay a home."

"Wonderful!" He clasped his hands together. "Is there any way that I can be of service?"

It took a moment for her to find the words as she realized that she was practically begging someone for money. This was beneath her, but she convinced herself in a matter of seconds to set aside her pride for the good of the group.

"My brother holds my allowance, and will not return it until..."

"Say no more." He waved his hand. "I assume Lord Remus is handling the finances. Inform him to come speak to me, and I will ensure that you receive what you need."

Lenore took a deep breath as the wave of helplessness washed over her. She could not believe that it was her cousin, Damek, that would be assisting her in this manner.

"You do not look pleased. Did I assume what you required?"

"No." She shook her head. "Thank you, Damek. That is very generous of you. I just realized, however, that for the first time in my life, I had to ask someone for money. It is an unwholesome feeling."

Damek chuckled, "Come, drink some tea with me. It is my nightly ritual. The tea has a way of calming one's nerves and washing away the days dirt in your heart."

She watched him stand up and move to the over stuffed chairs, where a silver tea pot sat on the small table. "Very well." She couldn't afford to upset the man in these moments.