Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 33: Preposterous!

The mid-year break was upon us and by the time I realized why the professors were winding down their class work, I was shocked to realize that soon my two friends would leave for three months.

Lucius and Pymus had ensured that I was not removed from the school, and as time went by I had stopped being a guard and started being a friend. My year with them had been full of laughter and tales of our childhoods.

Pymus appeared at the Royal Dorms' gate to say goodbye to the Prince as did I, however I had arrived early. I watched as the carriage came to a stop and as the other advisers left for their own homes. Xyles never did come to show any respect for me after I had taken his place at the Prince's side. Therefore, he was sure to ram his shoulder into my own when he walked passed me. There was nothing I could do or say but I did smile when he looked over his shoulder at me.

"Well then, it seems it is time." Lucius said from behind us and we both turned to him. "I assume you are returning home as well?"

Pymus shrugged, "I have some matters to attend to, but as soon as they are well in hand, I shall be off."

Lucius grinned at him, "Ah, your mysterious matters." His eyes turned to me, "Are you certain that you wish to remain here? You could come to the palace. My mother and father are fans of the undefeated Varden. I dare say they came to see you fight in the melee and show little interest in my bow and arrow." He chuckled.

I shook my head at my Prince, "Your parents have been good to me, send them my regards. However, the mid-break workers rely on my person to stand at the gates. I would leave them in a bad way if I failed them now simply because of my standing with the Great Prince."

Patting my shoulder, he seemed content with my answer. "I shall see you both at the beginning of our next class year."

"Shall we write one another?" Pymus asked with a playful tone in his voice.

"I am not your lost love, Pymus. No letters." Lucius patted the merchant's shoulder before walking passed us and climbing into the oak carriage with red velvet curtains and linings. He spoke over his shoulder before stepping in completely. "Be well, my friends."

Those were the last words I heard from my Prince, before the driver shut the carriage door behind him and they were quick to leave us behind.

Pymus and I had never spent any time together without the Prince, except in small doses when we were waiting for him to arrive.

"When does your guard watch begin?" He asked as we turned around to make our way back into the Royal Dorms. I hadn't thought that my room was in the Mondue Dorm's and I was certain that I would be making my way to the Prince's study.

"I have taken the night's watch."

Pymus nodded his head, "Would you like to earn an extra coin or two?"

I glared at the shorter, thinner man at my side. "I will not work for your Fox, Pymus. I have told you this more than once."

He smirked, "All I ask if that you allow a couple men to come and go as they please."

"No, and now I will be even more vigilant looking for these 'couple men.' Which is more than likely why you informed me of them to begin with." I frowned and came to a stop in front of the fountain. "What is your game, Pymus?"

"One of mystery and intrigue, my friend. You see, I have important business to attend to, and I fear I will not make it home this year. Therefore, I shall test the Fox's network on the best guard I know, and to make it more of a challenge, I have now informed him of my plans." He placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed in a friendly manner. "What do you say? Shall we test my cunning against your wits?"

"Are they not the same thing?" I asked, but he did not reply, "If I say no, then you will do so without my permission."

Pymus laughed as he released my shoulder, "Perhaps, we are closer friends than I believed."

---***---

Months had come and gone, and it was now time to train for the tournament. The Unmentionable's Dorm was assigned a time to practice at the arena right after classes. This time slot was the least sought after as it took ten to fifteen minutes just to arrive at the arena from the classroom area, which meant they did not have a full hour of practice. The only time this was not an issue was on their rest day.

Lenore stood on the archery platform with Ophelia at her side. Anton had denied participation in this tournament, and Authin was not interested either. Not that anyone asked him, but his actions so far had proven he wanted little to do with the group.

In the distance, Santh was lifting any heavy item he could find in order to build up his strength for the Unarmed, while at the same time he was instructing Jolon on the hammer throwing. It looked odd to see the Mondue with a barrel over his head as he squatted down and then back up, only to yell at the boy nearby about his posture. Of course, Santh had removed his arch-nemesis from his body; his shirt.

In the arena stands, girls had come from all over the school to watch their practice. It was obvious that they were there for Santh alone, though they would no doubt swoon over another once the next group came to claim their practice time.

Santh seemed impervious to their attentions, which including cheering and cooing. Their noises annoyed Lenore as they would often do so as she was trying to instruct Ophelia.

Ophelia's fingers had begun to bleed from yanking on the bowstring. She had not been working on her callouses during their off time and her gentle skin tore from the pressure. Lenore wrapped her fingers as she sat on the edge of the platform.

"I think I may actually fall in love with him." Ophelia said out loud as if she was bringing Lenore into a conversation she was having in her head. "Who would ever have thought that this is where meeting two commoners in the University Court would have lead me?"

Lenore knew she was speaking of Remus, and she felt incredibly guilty that she could not tell her friend about Pymus' plans for his son. However, she was told to keep them from Remus and anyone else, and this was certainly a test by the Merchant's Guild Leader.

"A handsome merchant's guild member wooing me. A princess as my closest friend. Varden Aguilar, the most famous warrior in modern history, has a son who is my friend. I certainly never thought for a moment, he would even tolerate my presence. I am very blessed." She smiled as Lenore finished wrapping her fingers.

"Perhaps, we should wait a couple days before we begin practicing again. Your wounds are rather deep." Lenore told her as they stood up together. She didn't wish to speak on the subject that Ophelia brought up as it made her feel terrible.

Ophelia stood as well and looked at her hands. "I refuse to be the embarrassment that I was in the last tournament. I will practice until my fingers are cut from my hand by that damnable string." She picked up her bow and tossed the quiver back over her shoulder.

Another wave of cooing occurred behind them, and Lenore grunted before rolling her eyes. "I do wish he would wear a shirt. All this could come to an end."

Ophelia chuckled, "A tad jealous are we?"

Lenore smiled at the shorter girl, "There is nothing to be jealous of."

The answer seemed to confuse the younger girl, and she opened her mouth to speak but slowly closed it.

"Santh does not notice their attentions. It would be one thing to be jealous if he was basking in their affections, but as per usual he ignores them." Lenore told her friend and then tried to adjust Ophelia's posture.

Ophelia fought her off, "Lenore, are you admitting to me that you could have jealousy if Santh wanted another woman's affections?"

"I thought we already established my desire for his attention. Now, stand straight, and remember to breathe. You keep holding your breath."

---***---

Piera nearly hopped through the halls, but knew she could not for fear she would smash the delicate pastry in her hand. It had been a couple of months since the voting and Lesatan was still not speaking with her, but with Armand's assurance, she continued to try. Though sometimes it was a truly heartbreaking experience.

On her rest day, she had chosen to wake herself early and invite herself to the Royal Dorm kitchen. There some of the girls assisted her in baking a small cake that fit well enough into her hands. Piera had crafted eight of them before she finally had perfection. She had made green vines coming over the side of the cake with the red emblem of the Cromwell House on the top. She was very proud of how the cake had come out as she was no artist though her mother tried for years to force the hobby upon her. After seeing the cake, she though she might try a canvas and brush again soon.

At her side was Krius, who had seen her sneaking to the kitchen and decided to inflict his presence onto the room. He insisted on staying and expressed concern for her safety as she was in a servant's area.

During the baking, Krius, who always looked annoyed with the world, had stood patiently by. He never sighed or showed that he grew bored with watching her bake. Piera was certain this was a skill that he had learned over years of being at the Prince's side.

She thought he would scare the servant girls and prevent them from assisting her, but it seemed the large Mondue was quite the spectacle. From the young girl looking for a husband to the old widow who was long passed her prime, they all whispered inappropriate comments and questions into her ears. It was as if these girls didn't realize they were speaking to their future Queen, but Piera didn't mind. She enjoyed being nothing to them except another girl.

After such a wonderful morning and her prized cake was completed, Piera felt that this was a sign of the day to come. When she approached the study door with cake in hand, Enoch, who was standing in the hall, no doubt having been thrown out for a comment, opened the door for her. She entered, and found Armand sitting in the chair in front of the Prince's desk.

Lesatan did not look up from the scroll on his desk, but Armand did and he grinned at the gift. Standing up, he excused him and winked as he walked passed her.

The advisers vacated the room and stood in the hallway.

Piera proudly placed her gift on the desk, and placed her hands behind her back with a peaceful smirk on her lips. "I have worked all morning to make this for you." She informed him.

Lesatan looked over at the small cake she had placed on his book, and then up at the very proud looking girl. After taking a deep breath in obvious annoyance, he returned to the scroll that he was reading.

Piera moved to the side of the desk and kneeled down with her hands still on the desk. She thought this time she would try a cuter approach. "Come, Lesatan. I have apologized nearly everyday for what I have done. Can you not forgive me? Perhaps, at the very least, give me a hint of what path I should take for forgiveness?"

Looking Piera directly in the eyes, Lesatan reached for the book that the cake sat on. Piera could see he wasn't going to move the cake and was quick to jump up and remove it. However, he did not give her time, and her hard work fell to the ground. Piera's hands had tried to catch it, but all she accomplished was frosting covered fingers.

"Such a pathetic bribe. With the wealth your family has, I would think you capable of bringing me something of value for my forgiveness. Not some poorly made concoction." Lesatan snorted as he opened the book. "I couldn't tell if that was a lion or a lamb slathered upon it."

Standing up straight, Piera didn't whip the frosting off her fingers as she had no where to put it but on her own clothing. Her heart ached and her eyes swelled with tears.

"An insult to my family name." Lesatan mumbled.

Piera couldn't remember what she had done after those words were spoken, but there was a red hand print framed in white frosting on Lesatan's cheek. He immediately stood, and she thought for certain he would have her beat. If that was so, then she wanted to say all she could before the end.

"I have tried everything I can to apologize for not believing in you. However, you do not make it easy when you do everything behind my back and expect nothing but my support. I am so sick of being your bride-to-be. I'd rather just graduate this year and find a better man." She spit the words out quickly before he could give any orders.

"A better man?" He spoke the words bitterly. "I am the greatest man in this entire country. I will be King!"

"No, you are the most powerful man in this entire country. I would much rather marry a slightly poor and less powerful man and be treated as his Queen, then be your literal one." Piera tried her best to keep herself from yelling or sounding too emotional with her tone.

Lesatan grinned in such a way that Piera felt a shiver run down her spine. "I will never release you from this engagement, especially now that I know how miserable the arrangement makes you."

"I am not miserable with the idea of marrying you. In fact, there have been many times that I have quite liked you and wanted to marry you. However, it is your back stabbing and deceit that haunts me." She swallowed still refusing to back down.

"I will make your life miserable then and force you to regret this engagement, if only to punish my sister. Do you understand? You are nothing more than a bargaining chip when it comes to keeping my sister in check. Now, leave."

---***---

"Preposterous!" Remus stood in the market place square. His hands in his pockets as people passed behind him. The vendor he was speaking to sold wood for all purposes. "I could have twice as much wood of better quality coached in from Baida."

The toothless man with a full gray bread and nearly no hair on his head shook his head and chuckled. "Then you do just that, Ancient Lord. Baida has plenty of trees for the taking, look around, wood is a rare commodity here."

Remus had noticed that the old merchant spoke far too fluently to have been a merchant of this level his entire life. One could pass the scars and missing fingers for wood chopping and maneuvering through woods, but Remus knew the cut of a sword was far cleaner a scar then the cut of a branch. This man was an old soldier who had seen wars and in his old age had taken upon himself this career to feed himself.

He could also tell from the use of "Ancient Lord" as only the Knights of Arthes ever called nobility by such an archaic title. As if that were not enough, it was more than obvious that the man had his fair dealings with men of higher rank as he did not shy away like others of the Commoners' Guild would have when Remus confronted them on price.

However, Remus knew better than to question an old Knight on how his life turned so dramatically for the worse. He was certain they were scars that still burned today more so than any upon his flesh. "You lack the capabilities to order in cheaper wood for the locals?"

The old man sat down on one of the logs he was attempting to sell, and crossed his arms as he looked up to Remus. The market place was filled with customers and merchants alike striking bargains, and there was a scent of sweets being baked not far from them.

"Ancient Lord, if such a path were a possibility, do you not believe that the hamlet would be in better condition?" He cocked his head to the side.

"From what I have seen many of the buildings have been better cared for in the last few years."

"Granted, the Fox has come along and purchased many of our buildings. He has certainly shined them up a bit, but this place is far from a diamond mine and will never sparkle. What would be the point in bringing in large qualities of better wood? No one would purchase them, they will keep purchasing the cheap local lumber."

Remus pressed his lips together. "I just informed you that I could buy twice as much for the price you offered and have it brought in from another city."

"I have to resell the product in order to make a profit. Surely, you of all people, Ancient Lord, understand this."

Licking his bottom lip, Remus thought for several moments. "Perhaps, I should contact my father and see if we can created a caravan merchants ground for traveling merchants. That would lower the costs and bring different products in."

"I am not certain if you are threatening my livelihood or attempting to the help the people of the hamlet, Ancient Lord."

He looked down at the old man with a grin, "Can it not be both?"

"It can not be done. Your father tried to do the same when he attended here." He explained, and Remus became suddenly interested in what the man had to say. "He found that the university is too isolated, and the journey for merchants is far too arduous. It created more crime in the area due to the caravans being robbed."

"You knew my father?" Remus asked.

He nodded his head, "I was once a Royal Guard in the dorms. I spoke with him more than once, Ancient Lord."

It was hard to believe that this frail old man was young enough to have been a guard in the dorms at the same time as his father, but he supposed war had a way of aging a man. "Thank you for the information." Remus handed him a couple coins. "I shall be in contact with you in the future." With that he walked away, ready to write his father and see if he could defeat this isolated merchant zone once and for all.

---***---

"Is it because you are a larger Mondue? You are, right?" Ophelia asked as Santh was wiping down the sweat from his chest and arms before he put his shirt and tabard back on.

Santh, who was standing next to the bench on the side of the arena, looked over his shoulder at the small girl. He did not understand why she was asking this of him.

"Krius is the biggest Mondue I have ever seen. He has to be twice as tall as I am, and the girls fawn over him as well. So, it has to do with size? At least in Mondue society, but why then are the Souchans and some Royals here as well?" She thought out loud and could see that once Santh understood the path the conversation was walking that he immediately became annoyed with her. "I guess it might have to do with the appeal of the male body. Few Souchans or Royals have what the Mondues seem to come by naturally."

Santh put his shirt on and began to button it up, but his eyes went over the crowd of girls that he had not noticed where watching him until that very moment. It was more of a conscious decision to ignore them as he was always aware of his surroundings. "Why is this a subject you feel comfortable broaching with me?" He finally asked once his shirt was on.

Ophelia shrugged her shoulders and grinned. "Should this topic be shameful? To whom? You or myself?"

Santh grunted at her before pulling his tabard over his head. He tied the rope around his waist and looked down at the girl in front of him as if he was waiting for her to excuse him.

"I am only curious why the girls come to watch you every tournament practice, and why you do not bother with them."

Santh continued to frown, but his eyes betrayed him as he looked toward Lenore who was speaking with the Arms-Professor Mego. She was showing him some of the bows and pointing out various flaws.

Ophelia tried to hide a smile to herself. She understood that this conversation was not one he wanted Lenore to hear. He probably hoped that Lenore didn't notice the large gathering of fawning girls. For the first time in Ophelia's life, she actually thought that Santh, the great Mondue, was adorable. A compliment that he would most likely hang her from her toes by, so she bit her tongue.

Jolon appeared next to Ophelia in these moments. He had removed his shirt as well, but he was lanky compared to his Mondue roommate. However, the hammer throwing and his practicing out side of the tournament days had given him more definition. He explained that it would be muscle to be used in the future if he returned to the Carpenters' Guild.

If there were girls admiring him, they remained quiet as women of their stations would never admit such a thing about a commoner.

"I might jump in the stream once we return to the dorm. Today was far too warm for such a long practice." Jolon grabbed his shirt off the bench and put it on without wiping away the sweat as Santh had. The white fabric clung to his wet skin, and looked uncomfortable.

"Saena." Ophelia pointed in the distance at the servant girl who was trying to hid near the arena gate. "I believe she is waiting for you."

Jolon looked surprise. "Do I smell?" He asked the girl beside him.

Ophelia was now the one that was surprised. She seemed apprehensive to smell him, but learned forward a took a deep breath. Her lip curled upward, "I would not bottle that scent."

Santh, who was still standing next to them, grinned at her response.

Jolon turned his eyes back over to Saena, who waved him towards her. "You could have lied so I did not feel so self conscious."

"I suspected you would like to know the reason she faints in horror the moment you approach." Ophelia jested.

With a frown, their commoner friend made his way over to the servant girl. Ophelia turned her attention back to Santh, "You are strange." She told him and before he could respond, she began to walk away, but turned around. "You have to tell her or she will never know." Spinning back around, she hurried to disappear and leave Santh and Lenore alone.

---***---

"Do I smell terrible?" Jolon asked as they walked through the nearly empty pathways as most students were out in the hamlet on their rest day.

Saena learned forward and sniffed him. "You smell wonderful to me."

A slight grin came over his lips as he walked arm in arm with the servant girl. They had grown emboldened over the last couple of months and no longer seemed to care that others were made aware of their relationship.

Routine was certain that Saena would pass the exam quite easily, and had even administered tests that he claimed were more difficult to pass then the entry exam. Saena was able to pass those tests as well. It actually seemed like Routine was proud of his apprentice.

"Just a couple more months and I will know whether I am a student of this school and no longer a servant." She squealed in joy and tightened her grip on his arm. "I will wear my light blue tabard every day, we will be matching." She frowned, "No, because next year yours will be dark blue." Her frowned immediately turned into a smile and she briefly rested her head on his shoulder. "That will do. No need to grow upset with your success."

"How many years do you plan to attend?" Jolon asked her as they came to a stop in the flowered court near the path to his dorm.

She gently shrugged her shoulders which made her loose blonde hair fall off. "Two would be nice, but four is better. You want to stay for four, do you not?"

He nodded his head, "I do, but that would mean for one year you would be on your own."

"Princess Lenore will still be attending at that time, we are not close, but she seems caring enough to watch over me." She rocked back and forth on her feet.

"Routine and Remus will graduate in three years. Santh plans to stay for ten years and become a professor. Anton wants to leave after next year, and Ophelia will stay another two years. It would seem that Lenore and Santh will be the only ones." He was worried about the change of students that would surround her, but tried to hide the fear from her. He wanted her to complete whatever level she wanted. If Ophelia was strong enough to endure then so was Saena.

"Princess Lenore will be starting her forth year when I begin my first. She will still have to complete one year once I am finished with my forth." She continued to smile. "I believe if she is willing I will be protected. Also, from what I understand of Remus' plans, they wish to make the dorm a fortress for those of us unwanted by the rest of the school."

Jolon took both of her hands into his own and stared into her eyes. "With or without Lenore, you are strong enough to survive. Not many of your position would have even chosen to take this exam. You have been among the students, you know how cruel they can be, but you are willing to endure for a better future. I have no doubt that you will succeed, Saena."

Her smile softened, "It gives me strength to know you believe in me so sincerely."

Leaning forward he kissed her forehead.

"You two are so adorable!" Ophelia screeched as she ran to stand beside them. "Forgive me, I wanted to say that someone else was adorable, but they would have been angry. I just had to release the word upon someone." She briefly hugged Jolon with one arm and then hugged Saena with both. "You still smell horrible."

"He smells pleasant enough to me." Saena told the girl.

Ophelia giggled and looked over at her dorm mate, "Well, there is no use in arguing with a smitten woman. I should know, I am one. Speaking of which, I don't suppose you saw Remus in these last few moments?"

They both shook their heads.

"I am certain he is still in the hamlet terrorizing the vendors." She sighed. "Very well, time to study." She waved goodbye to them both before heading down the pathway to the dorm.

---***---

When Routine returned to the dorm after getting his armor fitted, he found himself alone. As alone as one could be when he could hear chuckles from down by the stream. The high pitched, unique laughter was undoubtedly Ophelia's. He wondered who she could be down by the stream with, but ultimately decided that he did not care.

Stepping onto the platform, he laid down on his bed and took a deep breath. He did not understand how he managed to allow himself to be used for the jousting three times now. He loathed participating in the tournament more than he loathed being forced to watch it from the sidelines. Drastic measures had to be taken, but there were no plans forming in his mind. Lenore had asked him to do this for her, and his mother had informed him that sometimes one must sacrifice a piece of themselves to make another happy. He truly didn't understand as Lenore did not seem happy when he participated.

After the jousting, he was bruised and sore. It took time away from his invaluable studying and more importantly that armor was unbearable. Every moment of jousting felt as if he was being tortured by the very people that he called friends. This had to end, alas there was nothing that could be done.

Turning his attention to the approaching individual, Authin walked onto the platform and sat down in his own bed across from Routine. The young Royal picked up a desk from the ground and began to read a scroll. His lips moved along with the words.

Suddenly, Routine sat up and stared at the man across from him. "Jousting has been more than a leisurely pursuit for you."

Authin looked startled that he had spoken to him as they seemed to have an understanding in each others' presence, and that understanding was to ignore each other. "I beg pardon."

Standing up, Routine quickly moved to the end of Authin's bed. "Jousting is a tradition in your family. Even more so, it is a birthright. An inheritance of the physical that runs through the veins of every Nele."

Cocking his head to the side, Authin stared at the Souchan as if he was the one witnessing Routine finally lose his mind. "Jousting has been in my family for generations, yes. We participate at the King's Festival every year."

"Yes, how fortuitous. I must probe into the reason I did not see this before. Of course, an uncomplicated, effortless answer always alludes me until it is placed directly before me." He crossed his arms, and Authin thought he was trying to grin but none would come to his face.

"I will not take your place in the tournament, Byron." Authin turned his eyes back to the scroll. "I have no desire to stir the still waters I have created for myself. Both the dragon and the lion are fast asleep with me far outside of their eyesight. I shall not upset one or other."

Routine pressed his lips together, "I have often pondered why the Princess is referred to as a dragon in certain circles. The Lion for the Prince is understandable, as it is the Cromwell emblem. However, Lenore's mother lived under the Cromwell emblem while a servant, and married into the Vinsons' Ravens. She has now returned to the Lion."

Authin turned his eyes to Routine, and sighed deeply. "Dragons are unknown and mystical creatures whom everyone wants to keep dormant. Lenore is a dragon in a lion's den. The lions are fearful of her and tread lightly as to not wake whatever chaos she might create."

The Souchan did not seemed satisfied by this answer. "It seems the whole creation of Lenore as the dragon is fantastical in it's nature. I have never known her to find interest in causing chaos." Routine could tell that Authin was exasperated, "Never you mind. Back to the topic on hand, you shall be taking over my duties this tournament."

"No. I have been humiliated enough in my peers' eyes, I shall not fight for this dorm and lower myself any further." He returned to reading the scroll.

Placing his hands on the foot board of the bed, Routine leans forward. "It will be more humiliating when I inform your family of your sexual indiscretions."
Authin slowly looked up at the man and frowned. "Are you referring to the selling of my charms?"

"I am certain we can both think of actions far more sinister than charms." With that Routine walked back over to his bed and looked rather pleased with himself as he began to study. He had won and they both were aware of it.

---***---

Remus splashed around in the water of the stream while Ophelia sat on the bank and allowed the cool water to dance around her feet. The forest floor was covered in dead leaves and green leaves had filled the trees long ago, but soon enough they would join their fallen brethren on the ground.

When Remus had returned from the market, he had taken off his shirt and leaving his pants on jumped into the stream so that Ophelia could join him. She was too shy to wet her own clothes, though from time to time Remus would splash her with water. It only caused her to laugh as she had no desire to jump in and splash him in return.

Though she was acting playful and seemed her happy self from time to time Remus could see her mind wander elsewhere. It was one of the things he enjoyed about Ophelia as she never tried to hide herself from others. She was honest in her words and with her body language.

At it's deepest the stream hit Remus right under his hip though he had dipped himself under the water and was completely soaked. His hair tussled, he made his way to the bank and sat down beside Ophelia.

Smiling at him, she moved the hair from his forehead. Remus' kept his brown hair at shoulder's length and it was normally tied back but for his brief bath he had allowed it out of it's confides. Ophelia always seemed to enjoy playing with it though he forbid any kind of braiding.

"Your mind seems distant. What are you thinking of?" Remus asked her.

Ophelia dropped her hand to her lap. "Today at the arena there were so many girls watching and cooing over Santh, but he paid no attention to them. I believe he might have feelings for Lenore, but the two seem perpetually trapped within the roles they have already assigned themselves."

"I have known Santh for many years. In truth, I have never seen him show any interest in any female in particular. Don't quote me wrong, now. He found that they had their uses, but they were never permitted to linger long." Remus leaned back on both his hands and looked over the stream. "In fact, the most he has ever spoken to a woman, other than trying to woo them into his bed, is with Lenore."

"Truly?"

He nodded. "Lenore acts so differently towards him than with anyone else, and I wonder what plans she has for him. I have only known Lenore for three years, but that has been enough to understand that she has plans for everyone in her life. No one gains access to her when there is nothing for her to gain."

Ophelia didn't like hearing him speak of Lenore as if she had no feelings and no sense of loyalty to her friends, but there were times when she wondered if that wasn't true. She decided to ignore the comment and continue of the path of conversation that worried her. "I know that Santh has feelings for Lenore, if they are not love then they are an emotion that I can not verbalize."

"You are speaking of a Princess and a commoner Mondue, Ophelia." Remus told her plainly. "Santh knows his place in this world, as does Lenore. He knows that there would never be a place at her side unless it was to guard her and her future husband. A horrible existence that. Watching the woman you want with another man and you have to stand by unable to do anything to attain her."

She lowered her head. She knew in her heart that he spoke the truth, but the truth was cruel and unfair. Ophelia loathed it.

"If we believe for a moment that Lenore does in fact return his feelings then she suffers as well. Lenore has fought for too long to gain the position she has in society to throw it all away to marry whatever Santh plans to do with himself. Become a professor?" Remus chuckled. "A Princess whom has fought herself into a respectable position always dreams of marrying someone that will take that respect from her within society."

"Enough, Remus. I understand. I don't have to like it, but I understand." She stood up and glared down at him. "I wish to be alone."
Remus knew that he upset her, but he always knew she had to face reality. No matter how much it stung.

---***---

It had only been that morning that Lesatan had explained to Piera that she was nothing more than a pawn used to control his sister. Piera knew that their relationship had only begun when Lenore mentioned her offhandedly in a conversation, but she wondered if Lesatan knew that the friendship between her and Lenore was nearly nonexistent. She couldn't even say what Lenore's favorite food or drink was, or what her favorite subject in classes were. Something a good friend would know. Those were only the superficial topics that friends shared with one another, and Piera was well aware that she knew nothing of true substance about Lenore.

The only thing the Princess ever seemed to really offer her was a deep understanding and love for her brother. That had been enough to win Piera over as she had never seen her brother connect with another on such a level where he understood her needs and she his own.

Piera pondered these thoughts as she sat in the great hall of the Royal Dorms. Food was placed on their U shaped table, and she slowly cut small pieces off before gently placing them in her mouth. She hardly noticed that Lesatan was making small talk with others sitting at the table, or that he would glare over at her when he wanted her to join the conversation.

Finally, Lesatan leaned over to Armand, who was sitting beside him. "Remove her before she causes a scene." He ordered in a whisper.

Standing up, Armand moved behind Piera and leaned down to speak into her ear. "His Grace asks that you be escorted to your room now."

Looking up from her dish, Piera was startled at the amount of people watching her. She hadn't heard or seen what could have caused this disturbance, though it was obvious she was the cause of it.

Standing up, Piera followed Armand out of the room. The two walked side by side in silence for some time as they made their way up the many stairways.

"I don't understand." Piera mumbled.

"The Prince had asked you several questions and you offered no answer. Instead continued to stare at your plate. He feared you would cause a scene before the meal was through." Armand explained as they made their way up the final staircase.

Piera shook her head. "No. He loathes me."

"That can not be true, milady." He assured her as they came to a stop in front of her chamber door.

"He told me this morning that I was nothing more than a piece to control his sister." She wiped a tear from her cheek with the back of her hand.

"Surely, you heard incorrectly, milady."

"I asked to end the engagement, and he said that he would marry me if only to make me miserable the rest of my life to punish his sister." Piera leaned back against the door behind her.

"Truly?" He watched her nod her head. "You have asked for his forgiveness?" Once more she nodded. "This is bewildering. Lesatan has been known to pout for some time, but once Lenore or the Queen in any form ask for forgiveness; he gives it without question."

Staring up at the man, she waited for him to finish whatever thought he was forming in his mind.

Armand brushed a loose strand of his blonde hair behind his ears, "Lesatan has a tender place in his heart for the women in his life. I am confused by his reaction."

Piera shrugged as she opened the door behind her. "Perhaps, he speaks the truth and I am not a woman in his life, just a pawn."

---***---

Lenore made her way down to the stream to try to wash a stain from her tabard. It was blood from Ophelia's fingers that had somehow managed to get on her clothes when the young girl had not touched them. Of course, she thought that perhaps it was due to the flicks of the bowstring and the blood splattering everywhere. Though, this looked like one large stain that she could not imagine coming into contact with her clothing in such a manner.

When she arrived back Remus and Ophelia were leaving to check on the stalls though Lenore was certain Remus had been in the hamlet all day. Routine and Authin were studying, and Jolon and Anton had scurried off with Saena into the hamlet for some festival the servants were having. Only Santh seemed to be unaccounted for.

When a stick broke behind her, Lenore didn't bother to look at the intruder. "I had wondered where you had vanished." She told him as she was kneeling down on the stream bank; a bar of soap in one hand and her tabard in the other. "My tabard is ruined permanently." She sighed.

"She does not have the warrior spirit that you possess." Santh growled. "Her fingers were covered in bandages and yet you forced her to continue."

Lenore who had been leaned over immediately straightened her spine, and looked over her shoulder. "You are wrong." She told him as she stood up and tossed the bar of soap into the basket beside her. "Ophelia is every bit a warrior as I am. She just hasn't been made aware of it existence, until she met me."

He snorted, "She is a Souchan of the Romanus household. They were disgraced and she left in the cold by your father. He dangles lies over her head, but he will never give The Watcher's Fortress back to her family. You give her hope where there is none."

A small smirk lingered on Lenore's lips. "Is that something you believe my father will do or something you hope he will?"

Santh opened his mouth the speak, but seemed to be without words.

"For all the forgiveness you have pretended on her and her mother, you don't offer them any sympathies or kindness at all." Lenore crossed her arms. "I have reasons to loath the Romanus family as well, but the one that was behind the attacks, the horrors, and the deaths is dead himself as are all loyal to him and his cause. Ophelia and her mother were innocent. They knew nothing, and do not deserve to be punished."

"They do not deserve the Fortress in exchange for her four years at university!" Santh barked.

Shaking her head slowly, Lenore picked up the basket from the bank and began to make her way to the dorm. She already had her stained tabard in hand and knew she would have to ask Ophelia to make her another without explaining her blood was the cause of the destruction.

"You don't forgive me for my father's actions, and you do not forgive her for her father's." Lenore placed the basket on the platform beside her bed and tossed the wet tabard to the ground as she turned around to face the man that had followed her. "Should we then blame you for your father's actions?"

Santh's annoyance suddenly became anger as he charged toward her. Without touching her he pinned the Princess between himself and the pillar of the canopy. Lenore appeared unafraid. "Do not speak ill of my father, Princess."

"Ah, so these rules only apply to Ophelia and myself." She snorted, "Your father was not meant to be at the Battle of the Watcher's Fortress. He begged the King to allow him to fight and to end the Romanus upstart's life. Your father demanded that he be sent, and yet you offer no fault to your own father. He chose to go off to battle and leave his motherless son alone to be orphaned."

"Be quiet, Lenore!" He screamed the words directly at her and his breath caused her loose hair around her face to move.

"Your father is just as fault as mine was. Do not pretend that he was some victim and not a loyal subject to his King."

"Silence your mouth." He grabbed her upper arms and pushed her against the pillar. "Speak of my father once more, and I'll..."

"What kill me? Hit me? Beat me?" Lenore laughed, "I am untouchable by the likes of you, Santh."

The rage in his eyes subsided and he released his hold on her, but did not step away. "Speak no more of my father. The child of his true killer does not have the right to place his name on her lips."

Lenore chuckled, "What of his son?"

Santh raised an eyebrow only to have Lenore press her lips against his own briefly. When she stepped back, he knew she was trying to attempt to scare him away as her kisses always had. Though she had done attempted this attack in some time.

Reaching forward, he grabbed her cheeks and gently laid two soft kisses on her lips. When Lenore did not fight him away, he pushed the kiss. When Lenore's tongue tickled his own lips, a sharp pain of reality echoed through his entire body.

Dropping her face, and stepping back, he looked around to ensure there was no witnesses.

"I suppose it was only a matter of time before you could properly counteract my new attack. I will have to plan another." She grinned as she leaned up against the pillar.

With no words said, Santh turned pale then a dark shade of red, before hurrying to the front of the dorm.