Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(CH2) Chapter 7: Childish Behavior

Bryce must have thought Riane looked lonely sitting in her room on a Saturday afternoon. That was the only reason Riane could come up with for why he asked her to come with him on his errands. He even tried to bribe her by saying he would buy lunch.

Of course, she was lonely. Not speaking with Joe made it difficult to go anywhere or have to a friend to be anywhere with, and it was not like she could contact Blake at this junction.

Bryce hadn't asked her to do anything with him since the party fiasco. He had been pleasant to her, but overall a little distant or so she concluded. She didn't really know if this was just his normal behavior or not.

Standing in an office supply store, Bryce was picking out school supplies for an art project he was working on. She hadn't asked any questions as she was more surprised that he was taking an art class than anything else.

After a couple moments of him talking about the differences in painting in water versus oil, her phone vibrated in her pocket. She picked it up when he started mumbling to himself about what colors he would be using.

It was a text from Julian. “Where the fuck are you? How did you escape with no car? Let's go to Dalen's house.”

She rolled her eyes with a smirk on her lips and replied. “Out with Bryce for art supplies then we are going to lunch.”

“Where are you? I'll come get you.” Was his immediate reply.

“That Julian?” Bryce asked when he noticed her holding her phone.

“Yeah, he wants to go over to hang out with the guys.” She informed him while trying her best not to lean on anything as her legs grew tired from all the standing and walking.

Bryce was not one to make decisions lightly it appeared.

He chuckled, “Well, tell him that you have already given me your afternoon. He'll have to wait his turn.”

“I already did. He wants to know where I am so he can come get me.” She put her phone back in her back pocket. “I guess I'll just ignore the question for now.”

He put some brushes into the hand held red basket he was carrying. “He is really into having you where ever he goes. I've never seen him act like this with anyone before.”

“Yeah.” She cleared her throat as the two walked down the isle of paint supplies. “Why don't you have a girlfriend?” She didn't mean to sound so blunt, and the question seemed to startle him briefly before he smirked.

He turned to look at her directly. “You know how guys can stand around and point out girls saying things about their bodies and what they would like to do to them?”

“Yeah.” Her phone vibrated once more.

“I've never felt that way about anyone. I can't just see someone and be sexually attracted to them. I have to get to know them. They have to be my friend first, then I will start seeing them differently.” He adjusted the basket on his arm.

“I see.”

He sighed, “Unfortunately, for a guy that means getting put in the friend zone a great deal or having girls get boyfriends before I realize my feelings.”

“That's interesting that you say that. I have always felt something in the same vein. Joe talks about how good looking a guy is and how she would love to sleep with him, but I can see that he is handsome I just don't feel that way towards him.”

He nodded, “I thought I was an abnormality for a long time, but it turns out there are a lot of people like us.”

The inclusion that he made her feel also produced a soft warmth in her chest. She cleared her throat, “I have never had a boyfriend so I do not have further information on how I would feel towards them.” There was another sound of a vibrating phone coming from her pocket.

Bryce slowly nodded his head, “You did like Blake though right?”

Suddenly, she did not like where this conversation was going. She was not going to admit in the middle of an office supplies store whether or not she had sexual feelings towards Blake.

In an attempt to fight the uneasiness, she cleared her throat and shifted from foot to foot before putting her hands behind her back.

Bryce laughed, “I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I thought we were having an open conversation about this, and obviously I took it somewhere you didn't want to go. I apologize.” With that, he turned back around and started shopping again.

“I didn't mean to shut the conversation down.” She told him as she walked beside him. “It is just that I don't like to talk about that with anyone, and the less others talk about it the more hopefully Blake can forget.”

“So you can be friends again?”

She nodded with a sigh. “We have been since middle school, and I feel he is uneasy around me now.”

“How are you feeling towards Julian?”

The question made her hold her breath for a moment, but the sound of her phone vibrating forced her to breath. “Um, nothing has changed in the last couple of months. Why?”

“I think Julian is feeling a little different. Check your phone.” He laughed to himself as he put his basket on the belt and began talking to the cashier.

“Hello? Where are you?”

“Are you ignoring me, dick?”

“Hey, asshat, I asked you where you are?”

Riane chuckled and replied, “Yes, I am ignoring you. I am hanging out with your brother this afternoon. Go play with the boys by yourself.”

“Don't call it playing it sounds fucked up! Where are you?”

She sighed, “It doesn't matter we are about to leave.”

“Did that boner take you to an arts and craft store?”

Riane shook her head as she laughed, “No, office supplies.”

“Ugh, so lame. I'll come get you.”

She looked up at Bryce who was taking his bag from the cashier and she began to walk out of the automatic doors. “He is trying to get me to tell him where I am.”

“Tell him that it is too late, we have already left and we are going for lunch. If he asks where tell him that I am not telling you, and I threatened to take your phone away if you tell him when we get there.” Bryce was only kidding, but that didn't seem to register with her.

She sent the message and they walked together to Bryce's black Jaguar. He opened the door for her and allowed her to climb inside before shutting the door for her as well.

When he climbed into the driver's seat, he looked over at her. “So, what do you feel like eating? I am down for anything.”

“Well, um. I've never really eaten out before, so why don't you pick?”

He seemed to think for a moment, “Let's go to an eclectic place so you can pick something different than?”

“Sure.”

“Don't tell Julian.” He jokingly threatened.

Riane put her phone in her pocket after reading Julian's last text message.

“Tell him to fuck off. Come on, it'll be fucking boring without you.”

---***---

Joe sat on the couch in Dalen's living room. He had made a fire before she came over, but he swore he made it before she called to invite herself over. She didn't know if she believed him or not, but she was too upset with herself to care.

That morning she had called Riane three times and she knew that she was purposefully sent to voice mail. She had sent a couple texts asking if they could talk, and they went without answer. She had never had Riane mad at her so much that she actually refused to speak to her. Riane was always willing to hear a person out in order to understand and eventually forgive. This new behavior was terrifying to her friend.

Dalen entered the room from the kitchen door and placed a cup of tea on the coffee table in front of her, before sitting down on the couch beside her. He was turned so that he was facing her, and reminded her more of a psychologist than her boyfriend.

Boyfriend? She didn't know if that was the right word. They had been seeing each other for a couple months now, but there had been no labels applied. Last time he introduced her to anyone he had called her a friend.

Of course, that could be that they were both too nervous to test the waters and find out anything that might make each other uncomfortable in their relationship.

Joe sighed, “You were right. I shouldn't have done that. I tried to explain but Riane just wanted me to leave.”

He nodded his head slowly, but didn't add anything else.

“Riane has never had other friends before, but she has also never given me the silent treatment. I am beginning to fear that now that I and Blake are no longer her only options that we are expendable.” She inhaled deeply.

“I doubt that.”

“I am such an idiot. I was caught up in my own desire to make sure that Julian didn't turn Riane into an ass like him that I forgot about actually being a friend.” She used both of her hands to rub her face in frustration.

Dalen sat quietly while she made a couple grunting noise.

“What? Are you not going to scold me?” Her voice went slightly high pitched.

“Seems like you are doing a good enough job as it is.” He watched her stare off into the distance for a moment. “Try the tea. It's candy cane flavored. Nice and minty, it'll help calm you.”

Joe didn't want to tell him that she wasn't a big warm beverage drinker, but instead she leaned forward and picked up the transparent glass cup. Holding it in her hands for a moment she was able to get some of the aroma before taking a small sip.

“That's strong.” She coughed slightly.

Dalen chuckled at her reaction.

“My whole mouth tastes of Christmas now.” She coughed a little more before setting the cup back down on the coffee table.

“I know, it's horrible.” He laughed.

“Then why did you give it to me?” She playfully smacked him on the shoulder.

“I am trying to find someone to take it off my hands. I feel bad throwing the whole thing away, because I bought six boxes.” He told her with a grin as he tried to block her blows.

“Six boxes? Why would you buy six of anything before testing it out first.”

He shrugged and tossed his hands into the air. “I like candy canes. I figured that I would like the tea version too.”

Joe laughed, “Did you try Seth?”

“Yes, he turned ten shades of red like he couldn't breath after tasting it. Julian flat out refused to drink tea, but I haven't tried Riane yet.”

She giggled, “Wait until this blows over, I want to see her reaction.”

He leaned forward and kissed her lips, “At least your breath is minty fresh now.”

“I brushed my teeth. It already was.” She shoved him away playfully. “I can't imagine who would like such an overbearing concoction.”

They both perked up when they heard the door open down the hall and in walked the man they expected to see.

Seth had a look of annoyance on his face as he entered the pink living room and tossed himself on the couch on the opposite side of the room from him.

“I knew I should have driven myself.” He mumbled.

“What?” Dalen asked.

He glared towards the doorway. “Julian convinced me to let him come get me, and all he did was complain about Riane being with his brother and not coming to hang out with us.”

Joe looked at Dalen, “Did you know he had plans of bringing her here?”

He shook his head, “If I did, I would have told you. I didn't even know that they were going to show up today. My house is rather open to all my friends whenever they want to come over. Hell, Seth comes over here to eat even when I am not home.”

“It's better when he isn't here.” Seth joked.

“Where is Julian?” Joe asked when she thought enough time had passed for him to park his car and walk to the door.

“He is trying to find out where Bryce took her for lunch, and she isn't answering him.” Seth chuckled, “Man, this is fucking weird, right?”

Dalen nodded in agreement and looked between his two friends. “Why does he care so much that she is hanging out with Bryce?”

“Your guess is as good as mine. When I told him he was acting like a jealous boyfriend, he told me to fuck off.” Standing up, Seth walked towards the kitchen and stopped to look at the tea on the table. “Did he trick you into trying that shit?”

“Yes, it is horrible.” She giggled as she stared at the steaming tea.

Seth turned his attention to Dalen, “Dude, you are going to lose your girlfriend if you keep pulling crap like that on her.”

Joe's heart froze when the word girlfriend was mentioned. She waited to see Dalen's reaction as she wasn't certain how he felt.

However, Dalen looked slightly frozen for a moment too, before he responded. “She laughed. It was funny.” He turned his attention towards her, “It was, wasn't it?”

“It was a harmless prank.” She assured him before looking at Seth, “It was funny.”

Seth shook his head, “You two are weird. How did Riane take the news about Ivy coming because of you?”

“Not well. She isn't talking to me right now.” She swallowed when she thought of Julian. “Did she tell Julian?”

Both men shrugged their shoulders.

“He is too caught up on acting like he is actually her real fiancee to talk about anything else.” Seth told her before heading into the kitchen. “You got cocoa?”

“In the pantry!” Dalen yelled.

The door down the hallway opened and Julian stomped his way into the living room. He glared at Joe's presence before speaking. “She is fucking ignoring me. This shit will not stand.” He continued to look at Joe. “You! Call her!”

“She is mad at me. She won't answer.”

Julian pressed his lips together and turned his attention to Dalen. “Then you do it.”

Dalen frowned, “I think I have learned my lesson about letting people use my phone for evil. Let her have her time out with Bryce. What is the big deal?”

Julian returned the frown, before heading back down the hallway and up the stairs to a room he had allocated for himself.

---***---

The room that everyone including the staff called Julian's room was one of the smaller ones in the house. It had a bed, night stands, and an armoire but no closet and only one window that he had blacked out with plastic.

He didn't often use the room except for when he couldn't get peace and quiet at his own house, or when he didn't want to go home but he didn't want to hang around the guys anymore.

Laying on his stomach on the bed in the dark, he held up his cellphone screen to his face and sent a couple more texts to Riane.

“If you don't tell me. I'll just keep being annoying!” He texted and from that point on he just sent random smilie faces and words.

He chuckled to himself each time a text was sent as he imagined Riane looking annoyed each time she picked up her phone. Then a thought occurred that perhaps she had turned her phone off.

“Did you turn your phone off?” He asked and pressed his lips together in annoyance.

“No, but good idea.” She replied.

He laughed that she actually answered that question. “Stop being an asshole. Let me come eat with you guys.”

There was no response so he started sending his random texts again.

After several more moments of getting nothing from her, he started to admit defeat. He was going to have a very harsh conversation with his brother when he got home. He couldn't just think it was ok to take his friends with him whenever and where ever without saying something to him first. That was not about to become the norm.

He justified his belief by making up scenarios in his head where Adonia or Blake or both would see the two out and get wrong ideas. What if they thought that she was having an affair with Bryce? That wouldn't help their cause.

She needed to see that she could be seen in a nasty light, and it would be all Bryce's fault for not bringing him along.

Heck, he should pull a Joe. Find out where they were eating and send Adonia and Blake there to meet them. He had no idea how he would word it or how to convince them to go, but there had to be some story he could come up with.

The door behind him opened and allowed some light into the room. He turned onto his back to see who was intruding upon his scared space.

Joe stood in the doorway, “Have you seen Riane today? I am worried about her. I have spoken to her everyday of my life.”

Julian stood up from the bed and flipped the switch next to the door. “She is out with Bryce and they left before I saw her.”

She sighed. “But you have talked to her?”

“You know what is bullshit? A brother asking his brother's fiancee out without asking his brother to go along, or even giving any warning over it, right?”

Julian's question caught her off guard and she simply stared at him for a couple moments.

“Um, aren't you two fake engaged though?”

His frowned deepened, “Bryce doesn't know that, does he? He thinks that Riane and I are making a solid go of this, so he is the one that is wrong here.”

“I guess.” She was trying to process this conversation as it made little to no sense from what she understood of their relationship.

“Pretty boy thinks he can just do or take whatever he wants! He thinks there are no consequences to his actions!”

“Are you talking about you or Bryce now?” She was only half joking and starting to understand the jealousy that he was showing. She wondered if he understood it himself or if he was just as daft about his feelings as he appeared.

Julian glared at her. “If you aren't going to be helpful, just go!”

“Don't worry. Bryce is a gentleman. He won't do anything to Riane, nor would he betray his brother.” She said with a smile and in the back of her mind he wondered if she knew what he had done with Ivy.

That moment of comfort made him see what he was doing and realize how it could be seen. He knew he had to backtrack as quickly as possible before Joe got any ideas. He didn't want her putting nonsense into Riane's head.

“I don't want her to get off task.” He pointed his index finger at her. “If she and Bryce end up liking each other then everything we worked for is shit.”

“Everything you worked for is plotting behind the scenes and one date, if they do end up liking each other at least this madness will end. Riane will actually have a real boyfriend that likes her and isn't using her to get another woman.” Joe was telling the truth, but she was also playing a little game to see his reaction.

She could have softened the blow a little bit, but she knew Julian showed his true colors when someone was direct with him.

Julian opened his mouth to speak and then slowly closed it. “My brother shouldn't be trying to like my fiancee in that way. That is betrayal. He doesn't know that we aren't real. It would show me that he is not to be trusted.”

His response was rational enough, but the emotion he put behind it seemed odd.

Joe nodded her head, “Yes, you said that before. You are right, I suppose. Though, I find out that you are this passionate about it, instead of just mildly annoyed.”

Julian swallowed and fiery began to fill his eyes as he had could think of nothing to say that would justify his little obsession today. Not to her and certainly not to himself. “I don't like other people taking my friends from me, alright?”

“Riane has lots of friends, including you.” That was something she never thought she would say about her, neither the friends part about Riane or including Julian among them. “She has plenty of time and feelings to go around for everyone.”

Julian searched his mind for a reply, but came up short. He sneered at her, “Of course, some of those friends like to betray and humiliate her.”

Joe swallowed, “Excuse me?”

“Ivy.”

Joe was startled by the sudden attack on her own person, but she guessed this was how he decided to not only defend himself, but change the subject.

She took a deep breath. “I am very sorry about that. It was selfish of me and not anything a real friend should do. I didn't think it through and acted with emotion instead. Please accept my apology, Julian.”

He looked confused. He had expected her to justify her actions or to engage him in a petty argument. Apologies were usually only given in his house when his mother made him apologize to one of his brothers.

“Uh, it's alright.” He was emotional and mentally unprepared for accepting his apology and couldn't think of anything else to say to her.

Joe smiled, “Thank you.”

“You're welcome.”

His phone made a ding noise and he lifted his hand to look up at it. “Ha! Bryce, you idiot!” He began to move towards the door.

“What happened?”

He stopped in the doorway with a smile on his face. “My dumbass brother just checked in to a restaurant nearby.”

Joe watched him head down the hallway and shook her head. “No.” She said to herself. “He can't be... can he?”

---***---

Blake sat quietly in his apartment on the couch as he read a book on a tablet and waited for Adonia to arrive. He had never invited her over before, but thought that the topic he wished to discuss was best suited for a private location.

He had lit a cinnamon incense stick for fear of there being an odor, even though his home was immaculately maintained. He often thought of going into other people's homes and smelling the odors of the family, such as their natural smells and the foods they had cooked.

While the scents themselves were not bad, they were often strange and something no one seemed to note, but he feared that his own house would have a similar smell.

In truth, he was nervous. People were not allowed in his home and the discussion he was about to have with Adonia would be uncomfortable.

There was a light knock at the door which made him ask himself if she had not seen the doorbell.

Getting up, he tossed his tablet on the coffee table and made his way to the door.

Upon opening it, he found Adonia with a nervous smile on her lips as she quickly looked passed him and into the apartment.

“Come in.” He stepped aside for her to enter.

Adonia held her purse in front of her, and slowly entered as she looked around. “Thank you for inviting me.”

He shut the door behind her. “Did you have any trouble finding the place?”

“No, I've picked you up from here before. I was just never invited inside. It was just me waiting in the lobby with the doorman.”

“I told him to let you up when you arrived. Would you like something to drink? I have... water.” He thought for a moment. “Orange juice as well.”

“No, I am fine.”

“Then please sit.” He motioned towards the couch and followed behind her.

She took the seat in the middle which bothered him slightly as that was where he usually sat, but he said nothing and sat down beside her.

“This place is very different than I imagined it, but also very much how I did.” She said as she looked around. “How often do you have maids come? Everyday?”

“I do not employ maids. I clean it up as I go along and then one weekend a month I do a deep cleaning.” He had no idea why this was the topic at hand, but he was willing to chat about other topics for the time being.

“Wow, really?”

He nodded his head.

“That's impressive. My parents always made us clean after ourselves, plus chores around the ranch, but there were still people that came once a week to clean the whole place up.” There was some cheer in her voice from the excitement of actually being invited to a place that she knew Riane had only visited a handful of times.

She wondered if this could become something normal. Could she call and drop by? Could she have dinners here? She imagined bringing home take-out and the two of them sitting on the couch watching a tv show.

“What a tiny television!”

“I don't usually use it for anything but news and background noise from time to time.” Blake told her, “If I want to watch something, which is usually just documentaries, I watch them on my tablet.”

“You have told me before that you don't watch TV.” She chuckled, “No wonder you and Riane never have anything to chat about.” She meant it as a joke, but say the look of hurt in Blake's eyes. “I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean.”

He shook his head, “No, it's not that. We just got to the topic of Riane sooner than I wanted us to.”

Adonia's heart dropped. She knew it was strange to be invited over here, but thought that they were moving forward in their relationship. No this was another time that Blake was fretting over his friend and couldn't care at all about her.

“I don't think that Riane is happy with the Swithins, especially after seeing her being attacked by Julian's ex.”

She was trying desperately not to look angry or frustrated. “I thought they looked perfectly happy together.” She lied.

“I was thinking about asking her to end her engagement to him and move in here with me. Her father would be led to believe we were engaged until she finished college. Of course, it would have to be with your permission.” He had leaned forward while he was talking and folded his hands on top of his knees.

Adonia couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth. “That sounds horribly unfair to me.”

“To you?”

“Yes, Blake. I would have to pretend for years that I am not really your girlfriend. We would have to hide that we are together, and then what?” She had raised her voice slightly.

“Adon...”

“You two end your engagement and we are suddenly together? It would make me look like I broke you two up. Like we were cheating together.”

He sighed, “I understand your concerns, but we can simply explain to people what we had done and why we did it. They will either understand or prove they aren't worth having in our lives.”

“And am I expected to not date anyone for the next three years? That I am just a pitiful girl that hangs on to her ex-boyfriend while he is living with his fiancee?”

“Of course not. We can go on dates in the next town and have vacations together where we take Riane, but have our own private times.”

Adonia swallowed her anger down hard, “Did you give any consideration to me at all, Blake, when you thought this up? Do you give any consideration to me at all?”

“Of course, I did and do.”

She scoffed, “All I ever hear from you is Riane this and Riane that. Maybe you should just get engaged and marry her so you don't drag people like me into your mess anymore.”

“That's not fair, Adonia.”

“Not fair? Not fair? Did you hear what you just asked me to do? I am your girlfriend not Riane. The reason you lost so many isn't Riane's fault, it's yours.”

“Hey, please calm down and think about what you are saying.” He told her in a calm tone.

Adonia stood up from the couch, “You treat her as if she is more important than your girlfriends, and you worry constantly about her. Where is the worry and concern for me? For our relationship? I mean it, Blake. You will never have a normal relationship acting like this, and if you do not plan on changing, I suggest you just give in to Riane's feelings and be with her.”

“You...”

“Whether you have romantic feelings for her or not.” She made her way towards the door and Blake stood up to follow behind her.

“Adonia, I did not mean to upset you. I apologize.” He was slightly shocked by her outburst as he had never seen her upset like this before.

She shook her head, “I have to reconsider our relationship right now. I will contact you when I am ready to speak to you again.”

He nodded his head and reached for the doorknob before opening it for her. It was not what she had wanted him to do. She wanted him to apologize again and beg her to stay. Her eyes swelled up with tears and she stormed out of the apartment.

---***---

Bryce had wanted to take her to a more al a carte type restaurant, but there had been long lines so he decided to take her to a small sandwich and soup place that he enjoyed.

It had servers and a small ice cream area that people could easily come into without disturbing the restaurant goers. The booths were red with light wood tables and dividers between each table.

“Oh, they have french onion here.” Riane said as she looked over the menu.

“Yeah, it's a little salty for my tastes.” Bryce was watching her since he knew what he was going to order already.

“I have never had a chicken Parmesan sandwich. I think I will try that.” Riane told him. “Since it has red sauce, maybe I'll get a cup of tomato soup.”

“That's my favorite here.” He told her with a smile as she put the menu down.

Their waitress must have been watching them like a hawk, because she came over and took their order immediately.

“Your phone stopped buzzing like crazy.” Bryce noted. “Julian has either given up or taken to another tactic. Knowing my brother, it is the latter.”

Riane had her phone on the table and picked it up to look at it. “Last text was him counting down from one hundred. He stopped at forty nine.” She chuckled as did Bryce.

“Thanks for coming out with me today. I hate shopping alone.”

“My pleasure.” She told him as she put the phone down.

They chatted for a short while before the food came which was rather quickly. Riane had been surprised but Bryce pointed out it was just soup and sandwiches.

Picking up her sandwich she bit into it, and Bryce watched to see if she liked it. Otherwise he would have given her his Reuben to try.

“Do you like it?”

She gave him a thumbs up with red sauce on her lip and a mouthful of sandwich.

“Got ya, bitch!” Julian said to his brother as he sat down in the booth beside Riane. He smiled at her. “Your boy toy here checked in to the restaurant on his phone.”

Bryce shook his head with a smirk on his face. “Damn it.” He wasn't going to tell his brother that he had done it on purpose, because he could tell that Julian had really wanted to be there with them or her as it were.

“When you take a man's fiancee out, isn't it proper to ask him to come along too?” Julian asked as he grabbed half of Riane's sandwich and took a big bite out of it.

“Hey!” She snapped.

“I ordered a chicken Caesar sandwich. You can have half of it when it gets here.” He retorted with a mouth full of food.

“If I wanted that I would have ordered it. This is mine, besides I hate Caesar, it has anchovies in it.”

Julian stared at her as he licked the entire top of her sandwich. “Want it back now?”

“You are revolting.”

Bryce chuckled at the way the two were acting. “Do you want to try my Reuben? I'll eat his half of the Caesar.”

Riane nodded, “Sure, I've never had it before.”

Picking up her glass of water, Julian drank from the straw as Riane stared at him in utter confusion as to what he was doing. They had shared food before but it was always cut in half and the other persons mouth never touched the other half. Never had they drank from the same glass.

“As I was saying, shouldn't you have invited me?” Julian asked as Riane snatched her glass of water away from him.

“I have asked you to come with me in the past; you showed no interest.” Bryce explained as he watched Riane turn to her soup. She turned in the booth slightly so that her back was facing Julian. “He hates tomato soup, you are safe, Riane.”

She straightened herself back up and put the bowl in front of her.

“Maybe I have changed my tastes!” Julian snapped and grabbed the spoon from her hand before shoveling a big spoonful in his mouth.

Bryce stared at him in humor and Riane watched in horror.

The look of disgust that came over Julian's face made Bryce burst out with laughter, as he watched his brother grab as many paper napkins as he could and spit the large mouthful into them.

“It tastes like a tomato's vomit.” Julian gagged.

“That appetizing.” Riane sighed.

The waitress came with Julian's food in that moment. He had ordered the french onion which caught Bryce's attention. The only reason Riane hadn't ordered it was because it wouldn't go well with the tomato sauce on her sandwich.

“Can I get a new spoon too?” Riane asked the waitress who hurried to grab her one.

“Why do you need a new spoon?” Julian asked in an offended tone.

She held up the one he had just used. “It has your spit all over it. If I won't eat a sandwich you licked, do you think I am going to put this in my mouth?”

Bryce continued to watch the two of them with a smile on his lips, as the waitress put the spoon down on the table.

“You know, Julian. Riane wanted to order the french onion, you should let her have a taste of yours.” He was purposely poking at the bear and he knew it.

“That's alright.” Riane sighed as she grabbed her new spoon.

Julian picked up his own and got a spoonful of his soup on it then held it out to her. “Say ah!” He said before blowing on it.

“I said no.”

“Eat it!”

Riane sighed and took the spoon from him before eating it. She handed him back his spoon, “Happy now?”

“Is it good?” He asked sincerely.

“Yes, thank you.” Riane looked over at Bryce with annoyance in his eyes.

“Hey, Riane.” Julian said to get her attention and then licked the spoon she had just used, before putting it entirely in his own mouth.

Her face told of her disgust as she shook her head. “You are really nasty, and why are you acting so childish right now?”

“He can't help it.” Bryce interrupted before Julian could answer. “He is around his big brother and that automatically turned him childish.”

Julian seemed to take offense and frowned at his brother. The words, however, seemed to immediately change his actions as was the intended results.

“You want to go see a movie?” Julian asked her. “We can go to a real movie theater or watch another one in my room.”

Riane noticed his immediate change and smirked at Bryce. “Maybe. I mean I have never been to a movie theater before, but I really need to finish up some school work. Tomorrow?”

“Yeah, fine.”

“You two are really getting along together.” Bryce was merely making a observation, and had no idea that his brother would react poorly to it.

“Yeah, why wouldn't we? We are friends. We talked like this before she moved in, you just weren't there to see it.”

“Ok.” He responded and put his hands in the air, while Riane rolled her eyes in annoyance at his childish behavior returning.

-***-

Joe had gone up to a room to be away from Seth and Dalen, but she didn't want to leave just yet. She just wanted a break from their antics for a moment.

Laying on her back on the bed, she stared up at the white ceiling and thought about what her actions had done. She had immediately regretted it and didn't know why she had acted so selfishly, childishly, and overall cruelly.

This was not how she treated her friends, especially not Riane who was a sister to her.

She remembered when they were young and how their mothers would always chat in the kitchen while her mother cooked. The two would play on the floor at their feet with dolls and other toys of their choosing.

Riane mother would always smile her beautiful smile as she stole small pieces here and there from her mother's chopping block. Sometimes she would sneak them a piece or two. She had been so kind and gentle, and Joe had sometimes been jealous of Riane's mother.

While her mother was hard working, she had been tough on Joe. She didn't want her daughter to end up working at someone else's home. She wanted her daughter to own her own home someday, and made her study constantly when she was older. When she was younger, she was strict with her rules and pushed her daughter to do well with the in home teacher that Riane's mother provided until they were in middle school.

Joe's mother was not a lean, beautiful woman though she had been when she was younger. Instead, she was chubby, she never wore make-up, or nice clothes, but she was friends with a woman that did everyday.

When she was younger, she used to be embarrassed by her mother and wish that Riane's mother was her own.

Then the day came. Riane's mother just packed her bags and barely said a word to her daughter before leaving the house. It was so cold.

Joe remembered her own mother holding Riane's hand as a mumbled goodbye and I am sorry was given. The sound of that door being shut gently was the loudest noise in the world in that moment.

The look on Riane's face was of betrayal, confusion, and a desire to desperately cling. Riane didn't cling though, she stood stoically and watched her mother leave, while her father stood on the opposite side of the foyer with his arms crossed.

She remembered that man from before as well. He had loved his wife and his daughter. There was laughter and the house was loud and full of love.

From that day on though, Riane's father was cold.

Joe had asked her mother what happened when she was older, but her mother would simply tell her that it is not their business to know. She was certain her mother knew everything, but she did not wish to gossip about her close friend.

When she mentioned how cruel it was of Simon to cheat on his wife in order to get a son, her mother would remain quiet for a moment. She would then tell her that we shouldn't judge others until we understand their motives.

Always the good employee.

The house was never the same after that. Deidra appeared with Russell and it was like they had always been there, and Riane's mother had been just a dream.

The laughter was gone. The loud, boisterous household was silent. The dream was dead.

Joe was sent to public school and Riane continued to have a private teacher until middle school when her father decided that it was time for her to be more social. They didn't go to the same middle school, though.

Riane went to the upscale one in the good part of town, and Joe was in a less funded one downtown, because Simon refused to allow her mother to use his address.

It was a confusing moment in time. Simon used to treat her like another daughter, and now she was gum on his shoe. It must have hurt twice over for Riane who could never understand her father's sudden change.

"Hey." Dalen said as he opened the door. "What are you doing up here?"

Joe sat up as he walked over to the bed and sat down beside her. "I was just thinking about Simon." She saw him look confused, "Riane's father... and her mother too. I was wondering how two people who were so kind and caring could do what they have done to their own child."

"I see."

"I did it to her. Something cruel and I didn't even blink or consider what it might mean to her." She sighed and looked around the mostly white room.

"I think sending a slightly crazed woman at her is a little different than abandoning her, Joe." Dalen put his arm around her shoulder.

"It's not the degree of the betrayal that counts. I don't know. Maybe I should be at home waiting to see if she needs anything from me." She looked at him. "Maybe we should put us on hold for a while."

"Well, you can certainly try. I'll still call, come to see you, and try to help you as much as I can. So, you might as well just accept me being here and stay in a relationship with me, because I am not disappearing on you."

Joe gently smirked, "I have to figure out how to apologize to her. I've never done anything like that before and I thought maybe I would get a pass, but she is really pissed."

"Uh, yeah, someone spit in her face." He chuckled, "Can you imagine her reaction? Do you think she was wide eyed surprised."

She shoved his chest with her hand, "Don't joke, it's not funny."

He nodded, "I know. I just don't want you to look so glum anymore. I bet Riane just needs a minute to cool down and the two of you will be best friends again in no time."

"I don't know. She has never been angry with me like this before."

"It's been one day. She isn't going to cool that quickly, besides she has Julian harassing her today. She's busy." He chuckled once more. "Isn't Julian acting funny? All this evil sleuthing around have made them thick as thieves, huh?"

"They are weird, right?" She watched him nod. "Last night, they watched old, cheesy movies in his bedroom together. Or that is what Bryce said when I texted him since she wasn't answering mine."

"Yeah? I know he has those stupid things, but he tried to watch one with me and it was terrible. You know he uses a projector and screen for those things. It's all loud." He laughed, "The movies are weird too."

Joe smiled, "Maybe she just doesn't need me as much as she used to."

"That's a good thing, Joe. That means I get more time with you." He stood up. "Come on. I sent Seth home so we could hang out alone."

"You didn't have to do that."

"What do you say if we make our own popcorn and watch a movie or two today? Let Riane deal with Julian and work through her feelings, and let us have a good weekend together." He held out his hands to her.

Placing her hands in his own, she was helped up and sighed. "Alright, but I don't like romantic comedies if that is what you are thinking."

"Oh, well, then. What do you want to watch?"

She shrugged, "A comedy or an action flick would be good."

"Well, I have tons of those so you pick the movie and I'll make the popcorn?" He swung their hands side to side between them.

Joe smiled and gently kissed his lips, "Sure."

-***-

Riane was looking at her phone as they walked out of the restaurant. She had been getting a couple text messages from someone, but neither man was rude enough to question who they were from. Even though both felt her lack of attention to them was ill-mannered.

"Come on, Riane, I'll drive you home." Julian put his hand on her shoulder as they began to make their way out to the parking lot.

Riane was quickly to brush his hand off without thinking much about it, as her eyes remained firmly on the phone's screen.

Bryce stopped in front of his car, and pulled his keys from his pant's pocket. "Did you bring your bike?"

"Yeah." Julian told him with pride as he always thought his motorcycle was more appealing to girls than his brother's sports car.

"Did you bring a second helmet?" Bryce crossed his arms and stared at his brother who frowned which gave him his answer.

"Mall is across the street. We can go buy one." He growled as he pointed to the large building across the busy main street.

His elder brother sighed, "I took her out. I should be the one to take her home. It's called manners."

Julian glared at his brother, "I am her fiancee, and she shouldn't have gone out with you at all. More importantly, I should have been contacted first."

"Being your fiancee doesn't make her your child. She is an adult that can make decisions for herself." Bryce leaned against the trunk of his car with his arms still folded. His voice was calm though he was feeling frustrated by his brother.

Riane had simply stopped and was quietly talking to someone via texts. She was engrossed by them and didn't seem to be paying any attention to their conversation.

"Riane, tell him you are coming with me." Julian ordered and when he realized she wasn't listening he shoved her shoulder. "Riane!"

"What?" She snapped as she looked up from her phone.

"Tell him that I am taking you home. We can go bother Dalen and Seth before we head back." He said it as if it would sweeten the idea of her coming with him.

"Actually, I am going to walk over to the mall. Adonia says she needs to speak with me and it's urgent."

"I'll go with you." He seemed to spit the words out as if he was trying to prevent his brother from saying them.

Bryce smirked at the reaction but knew he shouldn't look to amused or it might set Julian off. "Do you want me to drive you over there?"

Riane shook her head at Bryce before looking at his younger brother. "It's a private conversation."

"Then I'll wait to take you home." Julian hurried to say the words again and had even glanced out of the corner of his eye at his brother to ensure that he wasn't about to act.

"No, she says she'll drive me." She put her phone in her back pocket and smiled at Bryce. "Thanks for lunch. It was good, even if I only got to eat half of it."

"My pleasure." He said with a genuine smile.

Julian didn't like the pleasantness between them though he was unable to determine why in that moment. "I'll still wait just in case."

"No, Julian." She said sternly.

"But..."

"This is private, Julian. Go home." Riane snapped and began to walk through the parking lot to get to the crosswalk.

Julian stood with his mouth slightly ajar. "When did she get confident enough to walk somewhere alone?" He half asked his brother and was half talking to himself, and continued to watch her as she walked away.

Bryce chuckled slightly and watched as Julian followed her motions with his eyes as if he was concerned parent that wanted to watch his daughter walk across the street to her friend's house. He made sure he didn't speak until Riane was out of ear shot, as he didn't want to upset her. "Wow. You really like Riane, don't you?"

Julian scoffed, before immediately looking uncomfortable with the topic at hand. "She's my friend. Of course, I like her."

His older brother couldn't help but pick on him. "You know I am just being friendly with her. You don't have to worry about me trying to steal her away from you."

"Wh-What?" He blinked rapidly when he spoke the words and nervously shoved his hands into his coat pocket.

Bryce continued to smirk at him. "I mean what kind of brother takes his little brother's girlfriend from him."

"Girl-Girlfriend?"

"So, next time don't harass her and just let us have a nice time. You don't have to come running, alright?" Bryce patted his shoulder, before standing from his leaned position.

"What... What are you implying?" Julian finally was able to say more than one word as he looked to make sure that Riane was a safe distance away. "You can have her, if you want her. There is nothing between us. I want nothing to do with her. How dare you make such an accusation!"

Bryce couldn't help but laugh at his brother's reaction. "Damn, Julian, I have never seen you so offended and nervous before. At least not over a girl."

"Fuck you, Bryce!" Julian barked while simultaneously flipping him off. "There is nothing like that going on."

Looking at his little brother, Bryce decided to continue to tease him knowing full well that it would make him paranoid. "Alright, fine. Then I guess it wouldn't be wrong for me to make my moves then."

"Yeah, whatever."

"Ok, see you at home." He began to walk around to the driver's side door, as he was secretly giddy that he found a new way to screw with his brother.

"You have to wait though." Julian told him with hesitation in his voice as he put his hands on the trunk of the car.

Bryce opened the car door, and leaned against the roof with his keys dangling from his hand. "What? Why?"

"We are pretending to be together, so we can break up Blake and Adonia. So, I can have Adonia." He explained not recalling that his brother was friends with both of them.

Chuckling, Bryce shook his head as he got into his car. "That will never happen, so I'll start now."

Julian's eye twitched as his brother shut the door. He stood behind the car for a couple moments, before hitting it briefly and heading over to his own bike. He got on and roughly put his helmet on as if it had betrayed him by not multiplying.

Bryce shook his head as he watched his brother through the rear view mirror. He was just trying to ruffle his feathers and it had appeared to work well.

Of course, this would mean a huge overreaction from his brother later on. He decided though to let Zack in on the teasing so he could drop a love bomb on Julian to annoy him as well.

He didn't know if there was any truth to it, but it was obvious enough that Julian was being selfish with his friends as he always did. This time it just happened to be a female and that meant they could mess with him, which was always fun.

-***-

Seth entered into his own home which was a large house, but not at all a mansion like Dalen lived in. It was more home-like than Julian's home as well. Where Julian's home opened up into a long, cold hallway, he entered in through his kitchen.

It was a large kitchen that was more of country kitchen with whites and yellows than the dark granite and wood with stainless steel that Dalen had. From there an archway was to his left that lead to the dining room, then another archway to the living room, and finally a shut door to his father's study as he called it.

There was an upstairs with six bedrooms though Seth was an only child. One of the rooms was an exercise room, another used for his mother's arts and crafts, and yet another that was completely storage. No one ever went into that room, except his mother and she would always yell at the top of her lungs that it needed to be sorted out. Then like she had never seen it or said anything all, she shut the door and wouldn't look at it again until the next time she needed something from that room.

Passing through the dinning room that had a eight person dining set and an armoire with little knick knacks of cows, pigs, and chickens. He always thought it was morbid to be eating his dinner and have a caricature of said animal staring at him. Explaining this to his mother was futile.

In the air, he could smell the faint hint of a lit cigar, which meant only one thing. His father was home.

The living room followed the theme of the other two rooms. A couple blue and white stripped sofas, a large screen television, and a huge picture window to look out over their large front yard. More farm animal statues were scattered about.

Knocking on the door to the study, he heard his father's voice telling him to enter. Once inside, the theme changed. Dark wood desk with a computer, pictures of his father's fishing trips and friends hung on the wall, a fire place with two chairs facing it. It always smelled like sweet cigars in this room, and it was a scent from his childhood that brought comfort.

"Hey, dad." Seth said as he sat in the chair facing the fireplace.

His father was sitting in the opposite one with his left ankle crossed over his right knee. He held the cigar firmly as he stared into the flames of the fireplace. "Son."

His father had dark brown hair and a well maintained mustache. He always looked so well manicured and put together in his three piece suits.

"I didn't know you would be home." He leaned back in the chair.

"I left Michael in charge. He always says I hover over him too much, so I am giving him space while I visit my family." Richard took another big puff of his cigar.

His father wanted his mother and him to stay in Cerulean Harbor even though his practice was in Los Angeles. He wanted his son to grow up where he did, and sometimes Seth suspected that he was happier with his family further away. It allowed him a freedom that others did not have.

"Why are you home so early? I suspected you wouldn't even come home. Your mother tells me you are spending more nights at Dalen's than ever before." He put the cigar down in an ashtray on the small table between the two chairs.

"Dalen kicked me out. He and Julian have girls now, so I am the odd loser out." He flung himself against the back of the chair to punctuate his point.

Richard chuckled, "Just wait. She'll be here sooner than you think."

Seth played with his fingers briefly, "Dalen's girl was the one I liked, so it's has me jealous that he got her and I didn't."

"I can imagine. Did you know I had designed on Nanette?"

He sat forward slightly, "Julian's mom?"

He nodded with a smirk, "Oh, yes, but damn it if Colin wasn't faster. I had barely processed how I might even approach her during that party, when Colin swooped in and it was over. Those two became very close very quickly. There was no room for me to wiggle in, even if I did want to try to steal my friend's girl."

"So, mom wasn't your first choice?"

Richard laughed, "Four months later, I met your mom. Upon talking to her the first time, my heart completely forgot Nanette. Though, I made the mistake of telling your mother about it once, which led to her not trusting Nanette for a short time."

Seth chuckled.

"Like I said. Wait, she'll get her in her own damn time. You can never rush a woman." He picked up his cigar again. "Bourbon?"

Seth stood from his chair and walked over to the small bar. He picked up two glasses and put a couple ice cubes into them before pouring the bourbon over them. Returning to the chair, he set his father's down on the table and took a swig of his own.

Richard picked up his glass and did the same. "Should I make fried chicken tonight? Give your mom the night off?"

"Yes, that's sounds great." Seth sighed, "Dad, can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

He swallowed, "You heard that Julian has a fiancee now?" He watched his father nod as he took another drink of his bourbon. "They aren't really romantically involved. They are just pretending to be dating so that they can get through college."

"Get through college?"

"Yeah, Riane, the girl, she has a dick for a father and she is afraid he'll pick someone worse if she leave Julian's side, and Julian is only doing it so he can keep his fortune and so his parents won't try this with another person." Seth took a sip as he purposefully left out the part about them trying to break up another couple. He knew that would be one bridge too far.

Richard thought about it for a moment, "Do they spend time together?"

"Yes."

"Do they enjoy spending that time together?"

"Yes."

"Do they go on dates? Are they getting to know one another, even if they believe nothing will happen between them?"

Seth could see where his father was going with this. "Yes."

"Sounds to me like the arrangement is working, best not to meddle." He held out his empty glass for his son to pour him another one.

"I suppose so." Seth told him as he got up to pour another drink for his father.

"Why are you concerned?" Richard took the glass from his son when he returned and watched him sit back down.

"I was thinking about my own arrangement, and maybe I should take it more seriously. I mean if Julian and Riane, who are faking it, can put this much effort into it then I should put something more in it than a date a couple times a year."

Richard stared at his son for several seconds, "I never did quite understand why your mother agreed to it, but she is here and I am not. However, if you want to try then you know how to contact her, but do it because you want to get to know her better and not because you are jealous of your friends or lonely."

Seth nodded his head. "You just said that ulterior motives don't matter if you are getting to know the other person. That it means that the arrangement is working."

His father smirked, "Well, I guess you got me there. However, Julian and Riane are doing it mutually. Don't use this girl, give her hope, and then destroy her."

"I won't. I promise." Seth sighed audibly, "I'll run to the store and get everything for fried chicken. Do you want a whole chicken?"

Richard nodded, "Yes, and thank you."

-***-

Adonia sat in the small coffee shop as she nervously toyed with her fingers. She had no idea why she had decided to bring Riane into this. There were so many ways this meeting could go wrong, and so many scenarios were playing in her head.

Was she planning on confronting her? That would be awkward because she was driving her home.

Was she hoping that Riane would have a secret method of dealing with this? If she did, she had never shared it with his prior girlfriends.

What if Riane knew exactly how manipulative she was and finally admitted it? Would she be able to tell Blake, would he even believe her? Riane had him wrapped around her little finger whether she knew it or not.

She had been surprised that Riane had even agreed to meet with her, or that she was already so close to the mall. She had told her that she was eating lunch with Julian and Bryce, which only validated what the two were trying to portray. Were they really a couple now?

She couldn't believe that Julian would suddenly stop his feelings for her. There had been flowers and little notes left in her locker or taped to it. When Blake found out about it, she pretended that she thought they were from him and he denied it.

Once Julian was engaged to Riane it all stopped. Not a single flower or note since then.

She rather missed it to be honest. It fed a part of her ego that she didn't know existed, even if she did just toss them in the trash without any thought to it.

In truth, she had no idea what Julian had been so obsessed over in the first place. They talked briefly a few times, until he started to act like a complete jerk. Trying to convince her to go into the bathrooms with him for reasons she didn't even want to think about. Then he would turn around a write a poem to leave on her locker.

Once she met Blake, it all continued. It didn't seem to matter to Julian in the least that she had a boyfriend now. More importantly, when Blake figured out who was leaving them for her, he didn't seem to care.

Yes, it meant that he trusted her and believed that she wasn't doing anything wrong, but some part deep down wanted him to confront Julian.

She knew that wasn't Blake's way. He gentleness is what she loved about him, but sometimes it would be good to see some passion from him. She wondered if he even loved her at times, because he was so even tempered.

Now with his plan hovering over their relationship, the question of whether he loved her or if it was just convenient reigned over her.

After all, she was the one to ask him out. She was the one who called for a second date. He had been reluctant both times, but when he told her about Riane and how previous girlfriends were scared off due to their close friendship; she thought she could prove she was strong enough. She knew she would never become jealous of Riane, until she the day she did.

"Riane!" Adonia waved her hand a the redhead appeared in the doorway.

Riane noticed her immediately through the small crowd and made her way through the coffee soaked air. She smiled when she sat down and Adonia pushed a cup towards her.

"I ordered you a mocha with extra chocolate. I know you've probably never had anything from a place like this, and this can be a good starter drink." She tried to sound pleasant.

"Thank you." Riane took the paper cup and sipped from the plastic lid. "It's very sweet."

"Too sweet?"

She shook her head, "No, it's nice after my lunch. It's like liquid dessert."

Adonia giggled slightly, before reminding herself why she was here. "Thank you for meeting me on such short notice."

"It is fine. I was tired of the boys' bickering, and wanted a way out. So, you saved me from them." She took another sip.

"Oh, good." She disliked that she called Bryce and Julian the boys, but couldn't explain to herself why.

"So, you said you need to talk to me about something?" She adjusted herself on the seat.

Adonia nodded, "Yes, um, have you talked to Blake today?"

"No. I haven't seen him since dinner yesterday."

She sucked on her bottom lip for a moment, as she weighed the cost that would come with having this conversation with Riane. Would he be angry that she spoiled his plans?

She inhaled, "Look, I am just going to say it. I am very jealous of you." She continued despite Riane's surprised look. "I don't know how you make it where Blake is continuously thinking about you, and wanting to save you. He is my boyfriend, and he should be thinking of me, not you."

Riane's heart was beating so hard that she feared it might burst from her chest. She was scared of what Adonia was about to say, but also thrilled to know that Blake considered her so much.

"If he asks you to pretend to be engaged to him so you can move in with him and get away from the Swithins, please say no." It was partly an order and partly a plea. "I don't want to be a shadow girlfriend. I don't want to look like a mistress or a cheat just to be with my actual boyfriend."

Riane stared at her for a moment, "He asked me that months ago. Why are you bringing it up now?"

The panic in Adonia's eyes slowly turned to anger. "Months ago? He just talked to me about it today."

"Yes, when I first moved in with the Swithins. I already told him no." Riane sighed, "Is he still on that kick that Julian is a bad guy?"

She nodded her head slowly, "He asked you without talking to me first?"

"Yes, I suppose so."

Leaning back in her chair, a calm anger came over her. "I can't believe it. So, if you had said yes, he would have what? Just told me to deal with it? Said that you come first and that I will have to wait?"

Riane shrugged her shoulders and readied herself in cause Adonia lost her calm. She wasn't about to argue with this woman in the middle of a coffee shop.

Adonia took a deep breath and looked towards Riane. "After a couple dates, Blake told me about all the girlfriends that had been run off because of their jealousy over you. He asked me to not tell you that we were dating for a little while, and I agreed. I wasn't going to get jealous. I wasn't going to run away when things got hard. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I think so."

She took another deep breath, "I have already done one of those things I promised myself not to do, but I won't run away." She tried to fight the tears, "You know what, Riane?"

Riane sat quietly and stared at her fearing what she might say next.

"It wasn't you that ran those girls off. He did it all by himself. He put you in front of himself as a shield so he wouldn't get close. He chooses to think of you and be considerate of you first and foremost, which makes any girlfriend feel worthless to him. It was never you. It was always him."

"Um, thank you, I suppose." Riane swallowed, "I thought that was going to go in another direction to be honest, so I am caught off guard."

Adonia thought to herself that she wouldn't give Riane the satisfaction of reporting that back to Blake. He had already warned her that confrontations with Riane had ended several of his relationships in the past.

She stood from her chair, and looked down at Riane. "Come on, I'll drive you home. Learning that he went ahead with this plan before talking to me has given me a great deal to think about."

Riane watched her storm off and quickly grabbed her drink to follow after the taller woman, who seemed to be in a race with her own thoughts.

-***-

Julian lay in the dark in his bedroom as he thought of what had happened that day. He couldn't quite figure out why he had been so desperate to get to Riane. It wasn't as if Bryce would be the type of guy to make moves on her, not that he cared but it wouldn't be good if she liked someone other than Blake.

Bryce had one girlfriend throughout high school and she moved away to attend college elsewhere, even though their parents offered to pay for her to go to CHU. She had declined and told Bryce that it would be an adventure for her. They dated long distance for three months before she called and ended their relationship.

Truth be told, Julian had no doubt that his brother would have waited those four years for her. He was a very loyal creature; who didn't let others in easily. It was Catherine that wanted to discover a world she had never seen before and see what was out there.

He followed her on social media for a while but then shut it all down, and told her that he just didn't have time for it anymore. He just didn't want her to know how badly it hurt to see her take pictures with other men.

She still calls though. Whenever she had a problem and needs an ear. She treats him like a friend and not her ex-boyfriend. Bryce is too kind to tell her that he would rather have nothing to do with her, even if she asked to get back together he probably would.

Julian was certain that his brother wasn't over her yet, and he didn't know how long it would take or who it would take to change that in him. It had been two years and he declined outings with women when he found out it was romantic in nature. Though, he had been on a couple dates thinking they were just friends hanging out.

Yes, there was no way that Bryce had been serious about his intentions on Riane. He was neither the type to try to take another man's fiancee nor was he over his first love.

Their plans would continue forward, he was certain of it.

As relief set in his gut a new feeling took over as he wondered why he was this invested. Did he really like Adonia that much?

He had questioned himself about her after their double date. She was nothing like he imagined she would be in his random fantasies about her, but maybe there was something there that he couldn't see. Something that pulled him towards her.

He didn't want to believe that after all that he had felt that it was simply a matter of her rejection initially that drove him towards her. He wasn't that damn cliché.

Laying on his back, he stared up at the white ceiling he could barely see in the dark. He tapped his index finger against his chest and sighed.

The sounds of footsteps going up the stairs were audible, and he immediately sat up. Everyone in the house had a different sound going up those stairs, and he recognized those footsteps the moment he heard them.

Sitting up, he jumped off the bed and opened his door to peer down the hallway.

Riane opened her bedroom door and entered leaving the door wide open, which he had found was her sign that she was not busy and could talk.

With a slight smile on his lips, he headed down the hall and thought of several questions he could ask her.

When he arrived, he leaned against the door frame and grinned, "Lunch was good." Ugh, really, Julian? He thought to himself.

Riane glared up at him as she was taking off her sweater. "You stole half my sandwich and ate out of my soup. Whatever flavors were good were ruined by your bad manners."

Julian chuckled with sinister glee as he remembered her shocked face when he had licked the spoon she had just used. "What did Adonia want?"

Riane tossed her sweater into the hamper and shrugged her shoulders. "Just girl talk. Nothing to concern yourself with."

He was losing this conversation. He ran down a mental list of topics to discuss. "Uh, did she mention me?"

"Nope." She stood in the middle of the room with her arms crossed. She looked both stern and annoyed.

Julian swallowed, "Do you want to do something? It's still early. Head over Dalen's?"

"No. I am going to study and work on my research paper."

He pressed his lips together as he tried to think of something else to say, but failed. Standing up, he clasped his hands together loudly. "Well, I'll let you get to it then."

"Thanks."

Heading down the hall, he felt disappointed. He had hoped she would at least discuss the next step of their plan with him, though he didn't want to be the one to bring it up.

"Hey, Julian?"

He heard her voice call and immediately went back to the door, and was surprised to find her standing in front of him. "Yeah?"

"Um, a few months back. Blake asked me to say we were engaged and have me move in with him." Her brows were together and her arms still crossed.

"Ok." He responded as his stomach dropped and a moment of panic set in as he tried to guess where this could be leading.

"I think that if I did that, they would break up rather quickly, don't you? There is no way Adonia will want to pretend that she is not his girlfriend." She continued to look uncertain as to what she was really trying to express or perhaps she was hesitant to act so cruelly.

"So, you move in and pretend to be his fiancee until college. Aren't you already doing that with me?" The tone of his voice was harsher than he had wanted it to be, and he regretted it though she didn't seem phased.

She nodded, "Yes, but we are trying to get you with Adonia and me with Blake. Wouldn't it work that way? Should that be the plan?"

He was surprised that she was asking for his input. "How does this get me Adonia other than making her single?"

"Uh?"

"The whole point was letting me get close to her before breaking them up. If you do this and they break up too soon, then I am the loser." Julian actually meant those words as his selfishness kicked in.

"Oh, huh?" Riane sighed, "I guess you are right. I told him no anyway, besides if I suddenly said yes he might think we were faking the whole relationship. That might cause problems further down the road."

Julian felt a weight lift from his heart when she agreed. "Well, we are faking our relationship, so smart move."

She giggled lightly, before letting out a loud sigh that sounded like disappointment to his ear. "Alright, thanks for talking it over with me."

"No problem. Do you need any help with your homework?" He wanted to just hang out with her for a little while longer, even if that meant doing schoolwork.

She slowly shook her head, "Not that I can think of right now. I'll send you a text if I do." She grabbed the door as she was going to close it until it was only slightly ajar. It was not something his family did, but she said that it allowed for people to check on her without disturbing her studies. It was something that her father trained her to do.

Julian stepped away from the door with his hands in his pockets and began to head down the hall.

Chapter 8: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=436

Comments for Chapter 7: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=431