Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 35: True Nature

I have had little time to write in this journal over the off months, and in truth I was far too busy dealing with the Prince's issues as well. I wanted to ensure that his decision was not in vain.

I was truly amazed how I had asked the Prince to sponsor me for the entire eight years. I had expected him to force me to prove myself or even laugh at me. However, my Prince merely nodded his head and waved me away saying that he would see it done.

I spent the summer guarding the school and when I was not I was in the library. I read everything that I could find especially anything I knew a first year would be studying. I wanted to impress the Lady Prurasasca whenever she needed help with her studies.

I had thought I was thinking too far ahead at times, but before long the new year had arrived and there she was within the Girl's Dorm though her father had asked the Prince to ensure her a room in the Royal Dorm.

Today was a particularly special rest day. Lady Prurasasca or Ane as she keeps insisting I call her had summoned me for a picnic. I still remember the looks of amusement from Lucius and Pymus as they both watched me receive the invitation and how Lucius chuckled when I asked if I could take my leave. It should have been an embarrassing experience to be teased in such a way by my friends, but I had no thoughts for them as I was about to see her again.

When I arrived she was sitting in the Girl's Dorm court in a grassy area with a blanket under her as she arranged the food. She smiled when she saw me approach and my heart beat as if I was in battle.

In truth, I had not seen her much since the beginning of the school year. I had walked her around the school the first couple of days, and then on the first rest day I had taken her into the hamlet. Weeks passed before I saw her again, but she always greeted me with a smile and she always had a reason to see me. This was the first time that she ever invited me to come to her without any favor asked.

I did not think of this until later, but perhaps she wanted to see me more but could not think of any reasons why I should. Maybe today was her first attempt to see if I would come without a duty to fulfill.

"Varden." She smiled up at me as I approached the carefully laid out blanket.

"Lady Prurasasca, you summoned me?" I do not know what I was afraid of or why I had spoken so coolly towards her. I think I am still afraid that I might be misreading her kindness, as Pymus has pointed out to me more than once she is of high standing and I have no standing what so ever.

Her smile faded slightly with my words. "Have you eaten? Perhaps, you could join me."

The letter she sent already invited me to the meal, but I suppose she was keeping the same amount of distance as I was today. Even though I am aware of the dance we must dance, it pains my heart to know I can not say what I truly feel. Not yet, anyway.

"Of course, Lady Prurasasca."

She sighed as I sat down across from her. There was no room to sit on the blanket and instead I found myself sitting on the moist grass. I did not wish to invade her space without proper consent. "My name is Ane. I have told you this over and over again, Varden. My mother is Lady Prurasasca, not me." She giggled before I could respond, "Aren't your pants becoming a little wet?" She patted the blanket beside her. "Come sit here. I do not bite often."

This night, I swear that I do not recall moving from the grass to her side. It was as if I had done so on a drunken stupor. I do not remember what we talked about, but I do remember her feeding me some food though I do not remember what the food was.

All I cared about was sitting beside her and ignoring every student that passed us. I do not remember anything about those moments except her proximity. I am a Mondue warrior. The undefeated champion of the tournaments, and I have been brought down by a pair of blue eyes.

---***---

Lenore knew the moment she entered in the study that her father was not pleased with her. All of his guards were sent into the hall, and her father remained behind the large ornate desk with his hands folded neatly upon it. The room smelled of a terrible incense that her father loved to burn, and he wore his traveling armor. Dark metal with the symbol of the lion on his chest. He was here for the tournament which would begin in a few hours, but he still summoned his daughter away that morning before breakfast.

The only gesture he made was for her to sit down and he sat quietly as she fulfilled his command. "You are faltering, Lenore." Her father told her as soon as she sat in the chair. "Your reports are becoming few and far between, and they lack the luster you once had for hiding the truth within the lines."

Lowering her head, she nodded it. "As it seems, the making of friends was just as you feared. I would lose focus on certain aspects of our intent. You warned me, and though I did all I could, I find myself with friends... for the first time in my life, I might add." She mumbled the last part of the sentence though her father heard it clearly enough.

Lucius sat back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest. "One can be with friends and still accomplish the goals set before them. Remus seems to accomplish this balance well enough. Can you not learn this aspect from him?"

She snorted, "This is true when your friends as also apart of your goals, but may I remind you that Remus does not even realize that he has been a pawn for me and the rest are clueless of my activities. They all believe that I enjoy drinking so much that I disappear at night to drink until morning."

Licking his lips, he released his arms from the hold around his own chest. "I hear you have attempted to push through petitions, and that you are rebuilding a dorm that your brother wants removed from this school in it's entirety. This was not part of the plan, Lenore."

"I was never a part of any one's plans. That is how I was brought into the world, and more than likely how I shall leave it. You promised that I would be left to do things in my own way without constant watch, and yet it does not feel like I am being left to my own designs."

He slammed both of his hands onto the desk. "Your designs bare no fruit!"

She had been startled but did her best not to show any fear. "My designs will bare fruit when it is time. As for now, I am still very busy attempting to put everyone and everything into place. When the time comes for it, then and only then will you have what you desire."

Lucius sat quietly as he stared at his daughter. His lips were pressed tightly together and his teeth clenched. "Your slow action has caused your brother and his mother to become highly suspicious of you."

"They always have been, and they always will be." Lenore spoke with venom in her voice. "Nothing I can do will ever change their constant attentions upon everything that I have done."

"She is preparing a spouse for you now that you and the Nicoletti no longer have an engagement. She wants very badly to remove you from the family name."

Lenore chuckled. "Allow her to send them to me. We shall see how far they get. It would take the strongest warrior and most stubborn of men to defeat me."

A small smirk came to her father's lips. "Go, Lenore. Prepare for the tournament."

She stood up and bowed her head briefly before taking her leave. Her father summoned his guards back into the room as she made her way down the hallway.

As she turned the corner, darkness over came her eyes and her breaths were locked into the bag that was now over her head. Two large arms held her tightly across the chest preventing her from moving her arms, and she could feel someone trying to grab hold of her legs. She kicked and called for help, but eventually the person gathered up her legs. She felt herself being carried, and though she could see people's shadows pass by her in the hallways, no one attempted to assist her. She knew now who her kidnappers were, but the questioned remained as to why.

---***---

Dressed in a dark green gown of velvet and silk, Relia Cromwell made her way down the hallway of the Royal Dorms. Her nearly white hair was in a tight bun at the back of her head, and her fingers and neck were encrusted with jewels. She could only make the trip for the tournaments once a year, and it was always the final tournament of the year that she chose to attend.

Stepping into the dining hall, she found her son, Lucius, sitting at the end of the table as he waited for his family. Relia took the chair at the other end of the table and prepared her napkin on her lap while adjusting the silverware as she was left handed and preferred her silverware on the other side of her dish.

"I believe I was promised a breakfast with my granddaughter." Relia's voice was strong with an odd combination of tenderness and harshness.

Lucius slowly nodded his head, "I am afraid Lenore has other matters to attend to, mother. She was in my study just this morning, however. You should have joined us for the meeting."

She snorted, "As if I wish to awake an hour early for such nonsense. My life consisted of waking up before dawn each day for over thirty years. I have earned my right to sleep for as long as I like and as late as I like."

"Yes, mother."

The dining hall door opened which was directly behind Relia and Lesatan, Piera, and the Queen Aletta all shuffled in together. Lesatan walked over to his grandmother and kissed her cheek. "Grandmother, I would like to introduce you to..."

"Piera Nicoletti. Yes, boy, I am very much aware of your private affairs as is everyone else that dares step foot in this squalor of a school." Relia watched the two children sit to her right, and Aletta hurried to bow and sit down on her left close to Lucius. "Your dress is green, Aletta."

The Queen looked down at her gown and then back up at the Former Queen. "Yes, milady, it is."

Relia frowned, "It's my lady, I do not know when milady came to be considered common tongue for Royalty, but it certainly makes you and everyone who speaks it sound like miners." She cleared her throat. "As for the dress, I am wearing the same colors. I expect you to change after this meal. I have no intention of being dressed like identical twins in front of the people, understood?"

"Yes, mil... my lady." Aletta kept her head down.

Lesatan was well aware that his mother feared his grandmother, but he was never privy as to why other then she was terrifying enough in her own right. After all, this was the Queen that ruled the kingdom while her husband, the King, played war hero. However, Lesatan could see that it was more than healthy respect for the former Queen, his mother was truly afraid.

The food was brought into the room, and that morning they would be eating a sausage soup with biscuits. Once the food was laid out by the servants, they were quick to leave as Relia picked up her spoon and began to look through the soup in her bowl. Her eyes lifted briefly to see Aletta shovel a spoonful into her mouth.

"Sit up correctly, you are the damn Queen not some common harlot. Though it seems the two of you would have a great deal in common." Relia snapped before her eyes turned to Lesatan and Piera. "I have heard the two of you are distant as of late."

"We have settled our disagreements, grandmother." Lesatan informed her before Piera could speak.

Relia's eyes turned to Piera, "As the future Queen of this country, you must learn quickly to keep your private matters within the home. They are not to be common knowledge, and this is difficult as your future husband is nothing if not an attention seeking harlot like his mother, but you must learn to control his tendencies."

"She understand..."

"Was I speaking to you?" Relia snapped at her grandson. "Is Piera missing her tongue?"

"No, grandmother." Lesatan lowered his head.

"Then she can speak for herself." She turned her eyes back to Piera.

Piera gently nodded her head, "I understand, my lady."

Relia grinned, "You learn quickly, but you are meek. One will keep you safe and the other will make you a target." She turned to her bowl of soup and began to eat which left the dining hall quiet for the rest of the meal.

---***---

Lenore felt herself being tossed and landing on a bed. She pulled the sack from her head and found Enoch, Armand, and Krius standing over her. She was wearing the leather pants she would be wearing under her armor during the tournament and a normal button up shirt that normally only men wore, and though she looked nothing like a delicate woman in those moments she felt like a vulnerable one.

Propping herself up on her hands while on her back, she glared at the three men before her. Enoch looked nervous and Armand looked ashamed, it was only Krius that offered no emotion though she knew him well enough to know that something was boiling to his surface.

"What is the meaning of this?" She snapped as she scooted off the bed, only to have Krius push her back onto the bed.

"You will stay here for the first day of the tournament, Lenore." Armand explained to her.

A brief look around the room, and Lenore recognized it as the dorm room that had been set aside for her. In the corner were small coin sacks that she knew was her allowance. Her brother had been tossing them into this room. There were dresses laid out that she had never put away, and the bed felt as if no one had ever slept on it. The room was decorated in purple as per her step-mother's command.

"You plan to disqualify my dorm." She mumbled.

Armand nodded his head, "I am afraid so. The Prince can not tolerate another humiliation, especially with his grandmother watching."

"You can't..." She tried to stand up, but Krius only shoved her down again.

"We can, and in the end it will be your word against ours." Krius stood in front of the bed to give her no leg room to stand. "As erratic as your behavior has been, all will easily believe that you simply did not arrive for the tournament. After all, you are well documented in abandoning your duties."

Lenore swallowed before turning her eyes to Armand. "You can not be serious. Is my brother angry with me over the voting still?"

Enoch was the one to speak this time. "Princess, just behave yourself and all will be well. After the tournament, we will come and get you." He rushed over to a cart that had pastries and tea. "I brought you refreshments." He held open his arms as if he had brought her the head of her arch-nemesis, which in those moments would have been her own brother.

Leaning forward before she could speak again, Krius whispered in her ear. "If you attempt to stand from this bed before we are out the door and it is shut and locked, then I will tie you to the bed, do you understand?"

She turned her head to look into his eyes. It was easy enough to see she was confused and helpless.

Krius stepped back and the three made their way for the door as Lenore laid on the bed and watched them. Armand and Enoch gave her a look of sympathy, but Krius went along without another emotion. These were the orders from his future King and he would complete them without bringing personal matters into it.

When the door shut, Lenore slowly stood up and looked around the room. Her hands shook slightly, and her mind was blocked. All she could think was how terrified Krius had made her, and how she was now locked in a room that she had avoided for years.

She lowered herself back onto the bed and pressed her back against the headboard before pulling her legs to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. She was defeated and she decided she wouldn't even try to escape, there was no point. Not when Lesatan would go to these lengths. If he could do this to his own sister, what would he do to the rest of her dorm?

---***---

The group stood waiting for Lenore to arrive. In the last two tournaments she had always come with them to the arena, but after visiting her father that morning she had not returned to the dorm. They had guessed that she was already at the arena, and if not she was a grown woman and could find her own way.

As time ticked down to the start of the tournament, nerves were beginning to sting and as the Unmentionables looked around the arena all they saw was an excited crowd and three other competitive groups that had nothing but smiles on their lips.

The arbitrator had warned them twice already that if their fifth member did not arrive by the third bell's roll call then they would be disqualified. This thought made Authin relieved but at the same time he had gone to practices and been teased by the other competitors. He wanted to close their mouths once and for all.

Santh thought that perhaps the fight he had with Lenore was the reason for her not showing. That this was how she chose to punish him, but it was a fleeting thought as he knew she wouldn't punish the others just to harm him.

Ophelia played with her fingers as she heard the first bell ring and she looked like she would be nearing tears at any moment. Jolon placed his hand on her shoulder and when she looked up at him, he gently smiled.

"She will be here soon." He assured her.

Santh snorted, "We should have known she would have abandoned us the moment she grew bored with this ridiculousness."

Ophelia ignored him, "Remus!" She called out the name from the bottom of the arena as she saw him taking bets.

Though the crowd was loud and he was a good twenty feet away with another six feet up, Remus perked up immediately and hurried over to the side of the arena where the group was stationed. "Yes, my pearl?"

"Lenore is still missing. Please, see if you can find her." Ophelia's voice was gentle and full of fear.

He slowly shook his head, "I am truly sorry, but as the beat taker I must be impartial. If she doesn't arrive then that is all part of the game."

She frowned and lowered her head as did everyone else.

"I will speak to Routine when he arrives, however. No doubt he will tear their school apart looking for the one person he can tolerate." Remus tried to comfort them, but he knew that Routine had no interest in this tournament and had plans to study the entire day away. He swore that he was falling behind in his points this year.

They all agreed and none seemed to realize that Routine would not be coming to the arena that day.

"She is nothing more than a quisling!" Santh snapped.

"She is hardly a quisling for not appearing today." Authin was sitting on the bench in his heavy armor that he seemed far more comfortable in then Routine ever had.

Ophelia knew that Santh was upset and she reached out her hand to hold his own. When he turned his eyes toward her, she spoke. "She will arrive just in time. I know she wouldn't do this to us."

The group fell silent as they watched the other competitors prepare for the day, and listened to the talkative crowd. They had no more power in this situation only Lenore could make this right for them. As much as they all wanted to believe that she would; they all held serious doubts about her true nature.

---***---

"Royal Dorm sweeping the day, 50 silvers." One of the students held out his money as Remus wrote him a card with the bet upon it, before copying it into his own record book.

As he made his way around the arena taking bets, he would often over hear pieces of conversation. He had taught himself to listen over the roar of the crowd as people often spoke too freely when they thought that no one could hear them amongst the crowd. Today alone, he had learned of three cheating fiances.

"No, I swear to you. They had a sack over her head and carried her off into her dorm room." A gentle voice spoke in the crowd.

Remus moved closer to the two female Royals, but said nothing to them.

"She has a room in the Royal Dorm?" The other asked, "Then why does she sleep in that slum of a dorm?"

The other one did not answer her question, though Remus suspected she shrugged. "Anyway, don't place any beats on them, they will be disqualified."

As the last of his bets were taken, Remus thought over the information that he had been given by those two unsuspecting ladies. The second bell rang and he looked up at the clock in this distance as a plan formulated in his mind.

"The Unmentionables' fate seems sealed!" He shouted out, "Anyone wishing the change their bets that surround them, may do so at this time!"

Walking around the arena, he changed several bets but forced everyone to rush. Once the bets were done, he began to run out of the arena.

As he did so, he felt a hand grab his own and he looked down at Odelia who was sitting with Pymus and Anton.

"Where is Lenore?" Odelia asked.

"No time, woman! No time!" He snapped before yanking his hand away and hurrying for the exit.

Pymus chuckled at his son and leaned over toward the woman beside him as he spoke into her ear so she could hear him over the crowd. "My son seems to be up to something. He has for the first time in Grey history allowed people to change their bets, and now he is running which is something us Greys never do." He smirked. "I have a feeling that our dear Princess will be here shortly."

Odelia raised an eyebrow, "Well, obviously, you can piece together this puzzle better than me." She sighed and played with her fingers in nervousness. "I do hope that Ophelia practiced as much as she said she has."

Anton was quiet as he had noticed that three seats in front of him was the girl he had met at the library. She hadn't seemed to notice him when she sat down and he didn't know if he wanted her to, but before that decision could be made she turned around and smiled at him.

She was with a couple friends that looked well off, and without thought to what they may think, she began to wave. "Anton!" She called out to him, "South Dorm will win this tournament!"

He waved back briefly before realizing how many people were now staring at him. Turning four shades of red and nearly trying to hide behind Odelia beside him.

Odelia laughed and placed her arm over his shoulder. "I thought for certain that you were quite the lady's man back home. That is the stories that the others tell."

Pymus chuckled, "Lady's men often find themselves helpless boys in the face of women that they have placed on a pedestal."

"Please stop talking." Anton covered his face with his hands and leaned on his elbows. "Just please."

Odelia and Pymus chuckled together and allowed him to have his solitude within his own palms.

---***---

The King and Queen were seated after they were announced, but when the former Queen's name was given to the crowd, they had all stood in her presence to cheer. Relia took the seat next to her son's wife and waved at the crowd. Aletta's jealousy was obvious, but she had never been the type capable of hiding her true feelings.

When the crowd died down, Aletta looked at the groups around the arena. She knew that Piera was sitting in the stands in the Souchan area as she was not yet in the position to seat in the Royal Balcony. Her son had informed her of his plans that morning, and she wished to see if they had been successful.

Her eyes fell upon the group in the distance, and a grin came to her lips. "It appears that Lenore has yet to arrive." Aletta announced to her husband and his mother. "It is just like her to take on a responsibility and then abandon it the moment she is truly needed."

Relia turned her head toward the woman, "You and I must know two different Lenores." She hissed in a low voice. "Who are her squad mates?"

Aletta looked toward her husband and then back at the former Queen. "Their names?"

"No, I wish for a generic description as I am too blind to see. Of course, their names!" She snapped and watched as they both sat silently. "Your daughter spends all her time with these people, and you know none of their names?"

Lucius finally spoke, "Remus Grey is one of her dorm mates, though he is not part of the group. Then there is Santh Aguilar and Ophelia Romanus."

Relia frowned, "The self-righteous ingrate and the traitor's daughter?"

He nodded his head.

Aletta grinned for a moment thinking that this news had harmed Lenore in the eyes of her grandmother, and after a moment Relia began to speak. "The other two?"

"Authin Nele, he was removed from the Royal Dorms by Lesatan for unknown reasons, and the other I believe his name if Jolon Marsh, he is a commoner." The King explained, "There is Byron Nicoletti, Piera's brother and..."

"Yes, yes, I know who Nicolettis are." She thought for a couple moments. She seemed to be listening to the noisy crowd around her and looking through the crowd. "She does keep an assortment of friends, doesn't she?" A small chuckle escaped her lips, "Much like her father, though she appears to be more commit to the path, I would say."

Aletta's frown deepened. "You approve of a Princess living in the slums and befriending those below her station?"

"It was not me that threw her to the servants to live. If you wish to blame anyone for her ability to humble herself, I suggest you walk yourself to a mirror and look deeply." She adjusted her dress.

"At least, I allowed her to sleep in the castle. Her mother tossed her out into the heat of the stable, and permitted the stable boys to do unthinkable actions toward her." The Queen crossed her arms.

"Lenore denies that any stable boy was improper to her, and I suggest you stop spreading lies they will only poison you in the end." Relia cleared her throat. "I wish you would show greater loyalty to your daughter and her reputation, Lucius."

The King did not respond and pretended to be watching as everyone stretched and prepared.

Relia snorted, "A King afraid of the actions of his own Queen. You two are truly the most pathetic creatures this world has ever spawned. You are lucky your brother was such a philanderer and an idiot, otherwise I wouldn't have had to name such a weakling to the throne."

"Enough, mother." Lucius snapped.

"Very well." She silenced herself for a moment. "Should we send someone to locate Lenore?"

The King slowly shook his head. "Whatever has stolen her time, she will pay the consequences. It is not our affair to interrupt that which she finds more important than her responsibilities."

---***---

"Move! Move!" Remus yelled as he approached a group of chatting girls that had no intent to see the tournament. His legs carried him as fast as he could towards the Royal Dorms, but he already lacked breath the moment he had begun running.

As he reached the group of shocked girls, he shoved his way through them though he tried not to knock any of them over. He continued on his way as he yelled at every person that dared cross his path. He prayed that he would not hear the third bell the entire way until he arrived at the Royal Dorms. There were guards but they allowed him through without any hassle.

Standing in the middle of the court, Remus thought over where Lenore's bedroom had to be. He could find it on the inside of the building, but doubted he could reach her. Odds were that guards were stationed outside her door and he didn't have any time to find out.

Mapping the layout in his head, he reversed them until he moved around the back of the dorms and found a large window with a trellis covered in vines. He grabbed hold of the wood and wedged his toes between the weaves, and made it up two steps before stopping.

"No, no. Too dangerous." He spoke to himself as he dropped back to the ground. His eyes scanned the area until he found a garden bed with small rocks.

Quickly grabbing a handful, he moved back to his original placement and hoped he could toss them to the forth floor and not alarm anyone below. His first couple of shots made it into the air but fell to the ground near his feet. Again, he tried and would hit every window on the building except the one he wished for though Lenore's bedroom would have multiple windows, he was unable to reach any of them.

Pulling his arm back as far as possible, he allowed one rock to fly as quickly and as powerfully as he could. It hit the window, but also put a small hole in it. Biting his hand, he looked around in hopes he had not alerted the guards.

The window opened and Lenore stuck her head out to look down at the man below.

"What ails you, fair lady?"

"It appears I have been kidnapped." She chuckled, "I never imagined a day could come that Remus Grey is the one rescuing me."

"I thought I'd try my hand at acting the knight in shining armor. Does thy fair Princess need deliverance from her predicament?" He didn't want to speak too loud as to alert the guards, but he had to speak so that Lenore could hear him.

She frowned, "What will my brother do to the others if I escape? Tell the others I am sorry but..."

"Never mind that, Lenore. I will create a barrier. Now, climb down this death trap and let us hurry. The third bell shall ring soon, and you aren't even in your armor." He had shook the trellis when he spoke.

Lenore stared at the man below for a moment, before tossing her legs over the side of the window and scurrying down. Before she could say anything to Remus, he grabbed her hand and the two were running at full speed though after a time it was Lenore dragging Remus and not the other way around. The guards in front of the Royal Dorms didn't attempt to stop either them, it was as if Lesatan had never informed them to keep her within the dorm.

Lenore was pulled to an abrupt halt outside the path leading to their dorms and when she turned to look at Remus, he was leaned over and unable to catch his breath.

"Go!" He swallowed deeply, "Hurry!"

She debated briefly whether she should stay with him as thin groups of students walked around them, but she turned to leave him knowing that he had gotten her out of that room to participate in the tournament.

"My bets are... already locked in... tight!" He yelled with his fist in the air, "If you lose, then... I will disown you!" Putting his hands back on his knees, he watched with blur visioned as Lenore disappeared into the distance.

Making his way over to the bench, Remus closed his eyes as he tried to catch his breath and listened as the third bell rang. Lenore would have to arrive in time before they got to the South Dorm roll call and started announcing their names, if not the team would be disqualified. If he hadn't been breathing so hard, Remus would have held his breath in that moment.

---***---

"She won't make it at this hour." Some of the students sitting around him whispered amongst each other. It would be mere moments before the third bell would ring.

"I heard from Emilia that her brother's advisers locked her away in her dorm room." A male spoke lowly to one of his friends.

Damek looked over the arena and at the group in the distance that was missing their one member. He frowned as he thought over what Lesatan had done to the Princess. He knew this had to be his doing.

Searching the crowd for her other dorm mates, he was surprised to find that Dalton Vinson was sitting among the Royal Audience. He had never seen him come to the tournaments before especially when his mother and sisters were not attending.

Their eyes locked for a moment and Damek mouthed, "Where is Lenore?" to the man sitting in the first row but with eight people between them.

Dalton shrugged his shoulders and seemed just as surprised.

Standing up, Damek walked over to his cousin's brother. The boy was no relation to him though they had the unfortunate circumstances of being linked. A Cromwell and Vinson union which was even worse than the Royal Couple.

Pushing his way passed the legs of the other audience members, he came to a full stop in front of Dalton. Leaning forward he began to speak softly to the man. "Have you heard the rumors going about?"

"Yes, of course. Would the Prince be so cruel as to lock Lenore away like this?" Dalton didn't know the Prince very well and though they had briefly met from time to time over the years, he really only knew the man from information that Lenore had given him. Lenore never spoke too poorly of her brother though Dalton had seen first hand how the Prince would be King just by the way he had run this school.

Damek ignored his question, "If she was locked away, I overheard it would be in her room in the Royal Dorms. Should one of us rescue her?"

He shrugged his shoulders again, "The third bell is about to ring and roll call will start. All we would be accomplishing is freeing her from her imprisonment to watch her dorm be disqualified."

"Nevertheless, do we wish for Lesatan to win so easily?"

Dalton swallowed and thought for a moment. "My sister is smart enough to free herself if she wishes to be free. I will not be the one that stands against the Prince and foil his plans."

"Typical Vinson cowardice." Damek mumbled under his breath. He thought briefly and then decided that he would have to be the one to release her. "I shall go. Even if that means she does not participate this tournament, at the least she will not be treated as a prisoner."

"Why upset the Prince?" Dalton asked and pretended not to hear the cruel words that had been thrown his way. "Granted, I care for my sister. However, it is not our place to be involved in their games of power. Leave it be, milord."

Biting his lower lip, Damek thought over his words as the third bell rang. He took a deep breath, "Perhaps you are right. It is not safe to upset him at this junction. Another time."

He made his way back to his portion of the bench and leaned his elbows against his knees when he sat down. He looked over the arena again. In truth, his options had been to upset Lesatan or leave Lesatan to anger Lenore further. The latter seemed a better idea out of the two as Lesatan's wrath would be turned on him, while Lenore will only make the Prince's life more miserable.

Smirking, he clapped as the arbitrator walked onto the stage in the center of the arena. "Royal Dorm!" He announced leading them know which dorm he would take roll call from. South Dorm would be last.

---***---

The Unmentionables stood together near the stage as the Souchan Dorm had their names called out and each member answered. No one spoke to one another though Ophelia clenched Santh's hand tighter than he had ever clenched any weapon.

Everyone's hearts had held onto hope that Lenore would magically appear in this moments, but soon it would be their turn and it seemed that Lenore would create no miracle for them.

Santh stood with rage in his heart and could not wait to track the woman down to give her a piece of his mind.

Ophelia, on the other hand, held back tears as she thought of all the training she had done for this day. Her fingers bled and they had callouses. She didn't know whether she wanted to be worried for Lenore or angry with her.

Jolon was also on the verge of anger as he could not imagine what could be stopping Lenore from arriving. He was defeated and could not believe that their last tournament of the year would end in such a manner.

Authin had half hoped that something would occur to stop this madness, but after a time he convinced himself that in fact he wanted to be the victor of the jousting once more. He was the only one of the group who noticed how excited Lesatan had been in the beginning before it was known Lenore would not arrive. He had caught some glimpses with Armand who would immediately look away. They had done something to her, but he feared telling the group for there was little they could do.

"South Dorm!" The arbitrator called out and began to take roll call.

The entire group looked amongst each other and knew their moment of humiliation was upon them. They would always announce the highest ranking member of the group first and therefore Lenore's name would be called immediately.

"Princess Lenore Cromwell of Arthes!"

There was nothing but silence from the group. Authin looked toward the Royal Dorm to find Lesatan giggling at his deed.

"Princess Lenore Cromwell of Arthes!" The arbitrator tried once more out of respect for a Princess as he would not speak a second time for anyone else.

"Present!" A voice called from the entrance of the arena.

The South Dorm turned to watch as Lenore approached without her armor and still wearing the clothes she had left in that morning. Her hair that Ophelia had painstaking placed in a bun was had fallen apart, and the Princess' long, curly red mane floated behind her as she hurried to join her group.

She was out of breath and took a moment to catch it as the rest of the South Dorm's names were called. As they moved to their position on the wall, they knew that Lenore would have time to ready herself as the hammer throwing was first this tournament.

"Where were you, Lenore? We were so very worried." Ophelia asked as she watched the Princess sit down on the bench.

"Indeed, we thought you had abandoned us." Santh informed her and to everyone's surprised he seemed genuinely happy that she was there.

Lenore chuckled, "I had to play a small role of Princess trapped in a tower today. I will explain everything later. For now, I must hurry into my armor and have Ophelia finish my hair." Standing up, she motioned for Ophelia to follow her into the changing rooms under the arena walls.

In the Royal Balcony, Relia watched her granddaughter with a smile. It had taken all the demure she had to not laugh loudly when she saw Lenore running across the arena. Not only did she look an awful sight, but Aletta's jaw had nearly fallen to the floor.

Looking over to her son's wife, she smiled. "Foiled again, dear Aletta."

"Mother, enough." Lucius scolded though he looked rightly proud himself.