Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 36: Faux Expression

I have never been to Arthes before, in fact other than Apisarn I have never left the city that I was born in. My world began so small and it seems that it will expand with or without my permission. My Prince demanded that I come with him during the school year break to Arthes. He promised he would pay for my daily care and ensured that I would be able to return to Apisarn.

It is difficult for me to rely on the charity of another, however Lucius informs me that I will be working and it will be pay not money freely given.

Riding into Arthes in a carriage, I was unable to see much of the city. However, what I did see was men and women dressed in the finest of clothes. It looked nothing like Pachant. Everyone that lives there spends their lives in rags and working difficult tasks in the mines in order to feed the mouths that they are responsible for at the end of the day. I spent a great deal of my childhood helping to pull the rocks out of the mine to make room for the miners, but here the children play in the streets. They look so carefree.

When I have a child that is what I want for him. I do not want the harsh childhood that was given to me, and I know what that means as well. I must work harder to accomplish my goals. I must let no man stand in my way.

I have already begun to train with the Royal Guard in order to join it someday. It was the reason that Lucius brought me to the capital. Their regiments are brutal and exhausting, however I do not believe I have ever smiled so much in my life.

As I sit here at my writing desk and stare out the window over my shoulder, I can not help but feel as if I have found the place I belong. I wonder if Ane would like to live here after we finish our schooling. No doubt she had been here many times before, and there is no wonder here for her anymore. Still, could she be convinced? Surely, she would tell me how vain and pompous all the citizens of this city are and yet I want to suffer them.

I met the beloved Queen and King today. I never knew what a simple man his Royal Highness is. He shook my hand rather than have me bow, and he spoke to me for over an hour about weapons and battle strategies. He admitted to me that he was no strategist, but he "had smarter men than me for such nonsense." I was envious of Lucius. Some whisper that the King is an idiot, yet I found him to be the most honest man that I have ever met. My father was a miner who was either so detached from us or so tired by the end of his work day that we considered ourselves lucky if he grunted a response to anything we said.

The Queen is obviously the power behind the throne, though she is a harsh mistress. She questioned me about my family and what plans "a commoner such as yourself could have, as there is very little room for you to crawl your way out of those mines." One might think that she thought herself above me, but I saw a slight smirk on her lips and a delicate twinkle in her eye. She was challenging me to better myself, and even if she wasn't that is how I shall take her words.

As the conversations went further, the Queen had nothing but what seemed like insults to fling, but they truly did not feel that way. I believe she was testing my resolve to see if I could be insulted and every time I answered her calmly, she would return to her tea. There must be a reason for this behavior. She is certainly nothing like my own mother, who was nothing if not soft spoken and meek.

Lucius seemed to have spoken of me often to his parents as there was little I could tell them that they didn't already know about me. At first such knowledge made me uncomfortable, but as I sit in this revelation I realize that I was already a part of this closed family's inner circle before I ever met them.

In truth, I have never felt so welcomed. I miss Ane, though she would have not be at school over the break so such a feeling is in vain. She will return next year and I look forward to the day that I can see her smile again.

---***---

Remus used the back of his sleeve to wipe the sweat and dirt from his face as he entered the arena. Making his way to the area where he knew his father would be, he sat down in exhaustion next to him as Odelia stared in disbelief.

Anton was sitting next to Odelia, but he seemed preoccupied with the unarmed fight between the Souchans and Mondues.

"That is cheating." Pymus mumbled to his son who had still not caught his breath and now had more sweat dripping from his forehead. He did not wish for the patrons around them to overhear.

Remus gave him a look of innocence. "Beg pardon?"

His father sat with an amused expression. "Stacking the odds in your favor, that is cheating." With his final word, he tapped his son on the nose.

Placing his hand on his chest, he gave a faux expression of insult. "How dare you accuse me of such unhanded scheming. I merely rescued my dear, sweet friend from the clutches of a monster. Today, I was the Princess Lenore's Knight. Surely, you would not deny me such a prize?"

Odelia grabbed his shoulder and turned him toward her. "What happened to Lenore?" She asked with worry in her voice that was clear enough for anyone in their radius to hear.

Remus patted her hand that was on his shoulder. "Never mind that. She is safe and sound, and where she belongs..." He lifted his hand to point toward her, but found her missing from the group of unmentionables. "Where is she?"

"Changing into her armor, I suspect." Anton entered the conversation as if he had been listening to the entire exchange.

"Ah, yes. She was rather under dressed last I saw her." He wiped his face with his sleeve once more. "One would think I have been through the harshest of all battles with this amount of sweat."

"The Grey men are not meant for physical labor... unless you are Crolus, I suppose." Pymus chuckled. "You should have paid someone else to rescue her."

"As I stated father, then I would not have been her knight. What good is gaining the favor of a Princess when you do not place yourself in harm's way?" He crossed his arms and stared at his father.

Pymus snorted. "Harm's way? Tell me what danger you were in, boy."

"I had to sneak into the Royal Dorm's garden, passed the guards, and climb a trellis to her window." He informed him.

His father sat for a moment and stared at him, before he raised an eyebrow. "The guards let you through without any trouble, didn't they?"

Remus' eyes widened for a moment and he cleared his throat before he was able to answer him. "Well, yes, but..."

"She climbed down the trellis, you feared getting injured on such a death trap." Pymus chuckled and pat his son on the head. "Good work, my son. No need to injure yourself needlessly."

"Pathetic." Snorted Anton.

Remus turned to look at him. "Tell me how many Princesses you have rescued today, my friend." He glared at him for a moment before giving a quick nod. "As I thought."

"If Lenore could escape on her own, then why did she need you to come to her?" Odelia asked with her brows together and her bottom lip puckered.

The question made Pymus swallow down some laughter as he watched his son's face turn to horror. After a moment, anger passed over his eyes and he looked between the three people around him.
"You three certainly know how to destroy a man's ego. Truly, you are the greatest of allies any man should ever have."

Pymus chuckled as did Anton, but Odelia remained worried. The conversation was quick to die down as they returned to watching the battles for the day.

Lesatan would be so distracted by his sister's sudden appearance that he would be unable to concentrate and for the first time, he lost the archery portion for the first day. The Unmentionables were in second place by the time the first battles ended, which had been no small feat considering they were almost not contenders at all.

---***---

Aletta and Piera walked down the Royal Dorm's hallway toward the Prince's study. They spoke nothing to one another since Aletta informed her to follow her at the arena. The King had stayed behind to speak with the headmaster and the Queen was rushed to find out where her son had disappeared to.

Piera was uncertain why the Queen had demanded that she follow her, and though she had no true friends anymore and at the time she was speaking with her acquaintances from the Souchan party. They had all shied away when the Queen approached them.

Once they were close enough to the study, they could hear Lesatan inside the room. Items were breaking and his voice carried through the heavy door.

Aletta opened the door to find her son standing in the center of the study with his advisers lined up against the wall.

"You three must be the most incompetent advisers any king will ever have!" He spewed as Piera and Aletta shuffled into the room and stood behind his desk. "She was just one woman! All that needed to be done was detain her for just one day! How is it she escaped?"

"It appears she went down the trellis." Enoch answered though the question was rhetorical.

Armand and Krius gave one another brief glances as they knew the answer would anger him. Lesatan glared at him for several seconds, "I know the mechanics of how, you idiot!"

"Advisers, if you will excuse us." Aletta spoke from behind her son which startled the Prince as he did not realize his mother had entered the room.

The advisers bowed and quickly removed themselves from the room. Armand closed the door behind him to give the three their privacy.

"Mother, I didn't..."

She lifted her hand to stop him from speaking. "I understand this was an idea concocted between the two of you." She looked at the girl standing next to her and with her index finger motioned for her to stand beside the Prince.

Piera moved around the desk as fast as she could without running and when she was beside Lesatan she folded her hands and lowered her head.

"I assume she escaped through a window? A window that was not guarded or properly locked." Aletta growled. "Such an oversight is the error of a fool not a king."

Lesatan swallowed but continued to glare at his mother.

The Queen moved around the desk to stand in front of them, she crossed her arms as she sighed. "Your failure will give her more power. Do you realize how pleased she must be with herself? Once again, poor, pathetic Lesatan has been outsmarted by his bastard sister. Lesatan a boy who was born and breed for greatness. Who was given everything to achieve his goals; has once again lost to a sister who did not receive an education until she was twelve years old."

"As you said, it was an oversight." Lesatan finally spoke.

She chuckled as she looked to Piera, "I assume this was your great plan? Lesatan has never acted so boldly towards her before this day."

Piera nodded her head, "Yes, milady."

"This is why you shouldn't have chosen a bride outside the Royal Party." She grabbed Piera's chin and forced her to look up into her eyes. "You do realize that Lenore will discover what you have done today. You have chosen a side now, and you can never turn back."

"Yes, milady." She echoed her former answer.

"Such a coward. No backbone to speak of and yet you believe you can be queen."

"I did not ask to be your son's bride, milady." Piera wished she hadn't spoken the moment her mouth began to move.

Aletta raised an eyebrow, "Any woman in this country wants to be my son's bride. You are no exception. I certainly know Lenore would chose such a path if sibling marriages had not been outlawed a hundred years ago. It's easier than what she must do now."

Piera frowned, "I think you make Lenore more of a villain than she actually is, milady."

"Do not tell me..." Aletta raised her hand to slap the girl, but her wrist was caught. She turned her eyes to look at her son.

"She will be my wife someday. You will not touch her."

Lowering her hand, Aletta continued to glare at Piera. "I will see you both at our next meal."

---***---

Though there was a tournament feast, the Unmentionables decided to enjoy their own meal at their dilapidated dorm. Odelia had brought with her many delicacies from home and the group had cleared the beds from the boys' platform and used their desks as tables for their meals.

"I wonder when that bench and table will be built." Lenore spoke out loud as the group sat on the platform eating their meal.

Jolon stuck out his tongue toward her. "When someone buys wood and tools."

"So, this is what you have chosen to call home." A woman's voice came from the path.

Everyone looked to see the old woman in a green dress standing nearby and when they realized who it was, they all were quick to stand. Lenore grinned from ear to ear as she made her way down the platform to her grandmother.

"I wondered when you would summon me." She told her grandmother as she gave her a hug.

"Since you were part of the tournament, I decided to visit you instead. It took longer than expected as those guards were difficult to abandon." Relia chuckled as she offered out a small box. "Your favorite."

Lenore took the box of candies and then her grandmother's arm as she walked her over to the platform.

"Are you hungry, your grace?" Odelia asked her as Lenore placed a pillow on the ground for her grandmother to sit.

Relia sat down and looked at the woman. "You are the Romanus woman, are you not?"

Odelia swallowed and a thick cloud of discomfort came over the group. "Yes, I am, your grace."

"That means that the young girl over here is your daughter." She looked to Ophelia that was standing beside her mother. "You made my grandson look like an amateur with a bow today. In Arthes, he is a champion hunter."

Ophelia looked toward her mother and then answered Relia. "I am sorry, your..."

"Relia is my name now. I am no longer a queen. I did not speak in an accusatory way, instead the boy needed a loss in his life. Everything has always been handed to him." Her eyes turned to Odelia, "I remember my son used to say that you were the best cook in all the lands. Is this meal your creation?"

"Yes, your... my... Relia."

"Then would you be so kind as to bring me a plate?"

Odelia smiled and hurried to make her a plate.

"Sit, sit. Eat your meals. You worked so hard today." Relia ordered and her eyes wandered over the group. "What a colorful collection of individuals in this dorm." Odelia brought her a desk and placed her plate upon it. "I have not seen one of these desks in years, let alone used one." She chuckled as Odelia moved to take her seat. She took a bite of the turkey on her plate and grinned. "My son did not lie, I see."

"Why have you come grandmother?" Lenore asked, hoping to get the attention from the others. She knew her grandmother brought both love and fear into the hearts of those around her, even though deeply inside she was a kind person.

Relia seemed to ignore her. "I wonder what makes the heir of the Souchan guild choose such a desolate place to call home."

Routine had been reading a book while he ate, but heard her statement. "It was once a silent place to study, your grace."

"Ah. And Varden's son, why this dorm?" She turned her head the the man sitting next to Routine.

"I followed Remus." Santh responded.

Relia grinned and turned her attention to the one person who did not want it. "Remus Grey. Your family are truly amazing. During war time, they stir the pot and then disappear until the battle's end, only to appear next to the victor as if they had been there all along."

"The Greys aren't fighters, your grace." He informed her.

"They aren't much for keeping promises either."

"Grandmother!" Lenore snapped. "I will not have you insulting my friend for a past he had no decision in. If not for Remus, I would not have appeared at the tournament at all today. Therefore, do you not think he deserves some respect even if it's only for his assistance toward me?"

Relia nodded her head, "Very well, I will set aside my distaste for their Greys when it comes to Remus, at least in his presence." She cleared her throat and turned to Jolon and Anton. "And who might the two of you be?"

---***---

"She is sick and nervous, and just about to get into the carriage to be taken to the altar. I fed her a slice of blueberry bread to help her stomach." Relia told the group as she sat on her pillow. "Once she finishes, she tells me that she feels much better. I walk with her toward the carriage and as she is about to step inside, I notice that she has purple lips. I was just about to inform her of the humiliating issue, when she snaps at one of the servants for coming to close to the tress of her dress."

Lenore and the rest of the group sat around the former Queen as she told the tale.

"I decided at that point, she needed a lesson in humiliation, so I allowed the new Queen to be married with blueberry lips. When Lucius lifted her veil, I thought I would die when his eyes buggered out of his head." Relia laughed.

There was a steady stream of laughter from everyone.

"Thus began over twenty years of pranks that I would play on the woman. Why just this morning, I made her change her dress because it was the same color as mine." She bumped Lenore with her shoulder. "She always dressed you and Lesatan alike."

"I know, I was there." Lenore replied with a grin.

"Help me to stand." Relia ordered and Lenore was quick to jump up, and help her grandmother. Once Relia was standing, she looked toward the path. "It pains me to see how truly lacking the guards are these days. Normally, they would have found me an hour ago." She shook her head. "Shall you walk me home?" She asked Lenore.

"I shall take you, Relia." Santh stood up and walked over to the two women as the others watched.

Relia looked up at him. "My, you are much taller than your father. If I was but twenty years younger, I might find a way to have a night fling with such a beast."

The others were shocked and Santh was embarrassed, but Lenore smiled at Santh. "I come by it honestly." She patted his shoulder. "Thank you for offering, but my grandmother and I have private issues to discuss."

Relia turned to the group who had all begun to stand from the platform. "It was a pleasure to meet you all. Do well here and you will do well in life." Her eyes turned to Ophelia. "You above all."

Lenore took her grandmother's arm and they began to walk down the path together; leaving everyone else behind.

"I had breakfast with your brother today. Your father was quite the immature brat when he was Lesatan's age, but that boy has gone above and beyond what is acceptable." Relia informed her. "My words still ring true, Lenore. If you wish for the throne, all you must do is ask for it, and the people will rally behind my decision as they did with your father."

The Princess shook her head as they entered the flowered court and came to a stop. She smiled at the older woman in front of her. "Grandmother, thank you, but if I wanted the throne then I would earn it not beg for it. I am happy with my lot in life now."

"That is exactly why you should be Queen and Lesatan should live in a gifted estate. I do not believe that just because you were born first or born male or female that one automatically earns the title." She cupped Lenore's cheek. "Tell me, why do you believe in him so? He has treated you so poorly, and yet you have always remained the better child over him."

She smiled, "That part of him that would make him a great king is there. I see it sometimes when we are alone. I know it exists, and I know that if only he would drown out his mother's voice, he would be as well loved as you were. He is a good man, but he lives in a world of his mother's fantasy and refuses to escape."

Relia pressed her lips together as she thought over the words spoken to her. "I hope you are correct, before I leave I must know if your father is placing you in danger with this ridiculous plan of his."

Lenore chuckled, "Grandmother, danger is what I do best."

"That was not the answer I wanted to hear, Lenore."

Leaning in she kissed her cheek, "It is the answer you shall receive. I take it you wish to walk alone back to the dorm?"

Relia snorted, "So very few moments in my life have been absolutely alone. Goodnight, my love."

---***---

The last day of the tournament arrived. Lenore and Santh had already clenched first place for their respective parts. Jolon had earned a strong second place and Ophelia had grabbed onto a third place win as Lesatan had finally arrived that day to earn himself the first place, though it looked like he would have been third. The first and second day Lesatan's archery had been truly pitiful though he came in second by the end of day two, but on the last day he seemed determined to win and somehow managed enough points to barely take first place.

The board was set up exactly as it had been the last two tournaments when it came to first place. Royal Dorms had archery and hammer throwing, and South Dorm had taken unarmed and melee. It would all come down to the jousting.

Authin knew that he had to win a high second place to tie with the Royal Dorm for the position, but if he managed a first place win then he would earn a first place for his dorm. As he was the jouster who had won for the Royal Dorms, he was confident though he was nervous about defeating his former dorm mates. However, the jouster they had chosen had been quite the foe as it was Authin's own cousin.

The tournament came down to the Souchan Dorm and South Dorm battle. One would undoubtedly take first place if they did the proper amount of hits to earn the points. Right now Royal Dorms sat in the spot, but they were not in a comfortable position and could easily be dethroned.

Authin knew as long as he didn't make many mistakes he could take a second place along side the Royal Dorm, but if he was perfect he could steal the entire game from both dorms. That meant hitting his Souchan opponent with enough force to knock him off his horse with one pass, and then either his opponent would not stand or if he did then Authin would be quick to dismount and in the melee take him down within seconds of his standing.

Climbing on his horse, he looked down the way at his opponent who was also mounting. His eyes wandered over to his group in the distance. They were all watching with excitement and worry in their eyes. Ophelia was covering her eyes but would occasionally peek through her fingers.

His heart pounded in his chest as this would be the moment of truth for him. Would he stay true to his new dorm mates and win a second tournament of the year for them, or would he betray them for the Royal Dorm so not to upset the Prince further?

Even when the horns blew, he didn't have an answer. He didn't have an answer when his opponent fell from his horse on the first pass, and still there was no answer when he jumped from his horse and hurried to defend himself.

The answer never appeared when his opponent made no attacks and instead defended himself until he yielded as the breath had been knocked from him and he could no longer fight. There was no answer, only pride in his family's legacy which drove him to win.

Standing amongst his victory, the crowd was silent. After every joust, it was customary for the Prince or head of the student body to clap first before others did. Lesatan offered him nothing, which meant no one else would clap either not even the King or Queen.

Taking off his helmet, he stood in a dead silent arena and he knew very well why no one would clap for him as there had been no claps for him in the previous jousts. As he made his way out of the center of the arena, he heard someone begin to clap. His eyes wandered over to his group's bench and to Lenore who was standing and clapping.

With the strength that Lenore had given them, the rest of South Dorm began to clap for him as well. Even the one member of South Dorm that sat in the arena benches.

No one else dared clap, and when Authin made his way over to his group. They patted his shoulder and gave him their praise. Ophelia even hugged him, though the rest of the arena was quiet.

Authin could no longer hear the silence around him, as he had won a victory for his dorm mates whose voices were more important and louder than the entire arena calling his name.

---***---

The ceremony for announcing the winners of this tournament was underway. Relia sat next to her son's wife, the Queen, but her attention was on the girl sitting in the Souchan area of the arena.

She was purposefully looking for something to nitpick Aletta on, and she knew that saying anything about Lenore winning today would only entice the Queen to act against her granddaughter. She did not clap when the jousting was won as was the protocol but they couldn't stop her from feeling proud in her heart.

"Lesatan's future Queen should not be sitting outside the Royal Balcony." Relia informed her. "She is at the mercy of the elements and there are no guards nearby."

Aletta who had been watching Lenore in the center of the arena with fire in her eyes, turned her head to first look at Relia and then at Piera whom the former Queen was watching. The girl was chatting with some of her friends. "She's a Souchan and wishes to be with her friends. Let her, the day will come soon enough that she will be forced into this role."

Lucius was sitting next to his wife, but chose to remain outside the conversation. The more his mother and wife bickered, the less he wished to be seen or heard by the two.

Relia snorted. "You are quite transparent, Aletta." She turned her attention to the Queen. "You do not seem to accept the girl as the one to take your crown. Do you fear that she will be loved and you will be forgotten?"

Aletta did not respond as she was not in the mood to duel with the former Queen. Instead, she focused her eyes on Lenore once more.

"How can such an assembly of the school's unwanted defeat the Royal Dorms?" Relia asked out loud. "When Lucius attended this school, he played the part of the unarmed fighter in these tournaments. He naturally wished to participate as the melee, but Varden Aguilar proved himself time and time again to be the most natural choice. Eight years and he never lost his portion of the tournament."

"I remember as I attended this school around the same time." Aletta took a deep breath. "I used to watch every tournament from the Royal seats."

"Did you?" Lucius asked as if he had never heard this story.

She nodded, "All the girls had their hearts set on Varden, and we would cheer for him. He never seemed to notice us. More than likely due to that woman he would eventually marry."

Lucius chuckled, "I have never seen a fierce battle hound turn into the most gentlest of pups like Varden could. His sudden change when Ane walked into the room was laugh worthy. She attempted to encourage him away from the tournaments, and though he was gentle with her, he never allowed her to command him away from his responsibilities."

In the center of the arena, the numbers had been tallied and would soon be announced. The four groups began to gather around the center stage.

"Santh is very different from Varden, and yet very much the same." Relia watched the tall man in the middle of his group. "He watches her. A vigilant protector with one eyes always on her, just like his father."

"I suspect Santh's reasons are less pure than Varden's." Aletta grumbled.

Relia chuckled and turned her eyes to Aletta, "If they were not, I would worry about the future legacy of the Aguilar name."

Lucius smirked, "Well, that is for none of us to interfere with. Lenore and Santh will sort out such nonsense."

"Indeed, they are both too smart to not see what is at stake. No doubt that is why the boy has made no attempts." Relia leaned back in her chair.

"How would you know that nothing has been done?" Aletta asked bitterly.

Relia raised an eyebrow. "When Lenore and Krius were on the verge of engagement, I could see in my granddaughter's eyes that there was something between them. As if it were a smile within her eyes, but when Lenore looks at Santh, I see nothing but a frown... sadness."

The Queen shook her head, "My son marrying a Souchan noble is humiliating enough. My daughter will not marry a Mondue Commoner."

"Your daughter?" Relia snorted once more. "Strange how she is only your daughter when you wish to command something of her."

---***---

Lenore and Santh walked side by side as the rest of the dorm ran ahead of them and danced around. They sang chants about winning, though Remus was more or less just attempting to keep up with Ophelia and didn't truly participate in their antics.

Authin was celebrating with the two commoners and it was as if he had completely forgotten that he was the outcast of the group. Though, Lenore wanted to remind him, she held her tongue and allowed this moment of victory to come and go without conflict.

Running up to her, Ophelia grabbed both of Lenore's hands. "We have to dance and sing tonight, Lenore. Shall we go to the ball?"

She shook her head as the girl in front of her walked backwards. "I suspect we would not be welcomed."

Ophelia frowned.

"Shall we throw our own ball tonight then?" Remus asked. "Jolon, why do you not fetch Saena so that she can join us?"

Jolon shook his head, "There is a commoner's ball tonight. I am to meet her there. Anton is attending with me."

"Bah, then it shall just be the Princess, Santh, Ophelia, Authin, and I... as Routine would not be interested."

Authin looked toward the commoners, "Might I join you three instead? I would loathe to interrupt the two couples."

Jolon agreed.

Santh wished to inform him that they were not coupled, but he was too tired after three days of fighting to argue with anyone tonight.

"Shall we leave now?" Jolon asked and the other two agreed. They vanished down a dark path toward the hamlet gates.

"Well, then just us four then. How quickly our ball turned into nothing more than a meal. Still, we shall dress in our finest!" Remus announced loudly before quickly turning around and taking Ophelia with him.

Remus placed an arm around Ophelia and the two walked ahead of Lenore and Santh. The Princess watched them with a grin on her lips, but it was one of a saddened heart. She knew the truth of their future and wondered when Pymus would bring his son into the reality that awaited him.

Plucking a flower, she began to pull the petals of the daisy while she watched the two lovers in front of her.

Standing beside Lenore, Santh thought of over a dozen excuses he could make to leave this dinner that Remus planned. There was only one reason that he wished to stay, and she won over them. Every time he began to speak to excuse himself, he would look over at the girl pulling petals off her flower and allowing them to fall to the ground.

When she was done, she tossed the stem over her shoulder and continued on. Santh watched her walk slightly ahead of him and where the excuses once lived, he tried to invent others. Tonight was a special evening, and he wanted to try something as daring as what he had done in the arena today. Only as he reached out his hand and took her own, his heart raced faster than any battle he had seen the passed three days.
Looking over at Santh, he shrugged. "If we are the other couple in this foursome, we might as well play the part."

The Princess grinned but adjusted her hand so that her fingers laced with his own. She said nothing as they walked together toward the dorms.

---***---

Lesatan walked Piera to her room after he had changed out of the leather armor that the archers wore. When she entered, she expected him to walk away but instead Lesatan invited himself in behind her without speaking a word.

Walking over to the bench at the end of her bed, she sat down and prepared herself for what she thought would be her verbal punishment for a failed attempt against the Princess. When she looked up, Lesatan leaned his backside against her vanity and rested his hands on it behind him. His head was lowered and he looked exhausted.

"Would you like me to get you something to drink or eat?" Piera asked with a gentle and concerned voice.

"No." He replied and continued to stand without looking at her. There was still moisture on his brow from standing in the hot arena all day. Those in the seats received shade from the above canopies, but those inside the arena were lost to the sun.

"Are you angry with me because my plan did not work?" She asked her second question immediately.

"No." He looked at the floor but shook his head this time.

"Are you disappointed in today's outcome?" The question would be met with silence and she decided that was the correct answer, but it would be unwise to push the issue further.

She didn't know exactly what this was as he had never done this before. Was he hiding in her bedroom? If he was, it was no doubt from his own mother. She had been watching him closely when the scores were announced, and his face had fallen but his eyes went immediately to his own mother.

"Would you like to sit on the bench here with me?" She patted the extra space beside her.

Lesatan looked up at her empty seat and after a moment he slowly walked across the room to sit down beside her.

Piera stood and walked over to her basin where she grabbed her towel that she used to dry her face. Lesatan watched her the entire time as she returned to sitting next to him. Gently she wiped the sweat from his brow.

"You must be tired." She acknowledged as she brought the towel down onto her lap.

The Prince swallowed, "More than just physically." He admitted and sighed deeply. "Why does she always win, Piera? Why can she not allow me just one victory?"

Piera lifted her hand and brushed some of his hair from his eye. She knew he wasn't speaking of the tournament, but in his life and plans in general. She wanted to ask him if perhaps he allowed her to win, because he couldn't destroy his beloved sister. However, she held her tongue as she knew he was teetering on the edge of rage, and all he would need is a small push.

Placing her hand behind his head, she pulled him close and placed a kiss upon his forehead. After which, Lesatan lowered his head to her shoulder and once more took a deep breath.

Wrapping her arm around his own shoulder, Piera began to play with his hair. "Shall we go on a picnic tomorrow? Just the two of us. I can sneak us away from everyone."

Lesatan chuckled lightly, before lifting his head and looking into her eyes. "Piera, do you care for me?"

"Of course."

He shook his head, "I mean as a woman cares for a man."

She parroted her former answer.

Leaning in slowly, his eyes moved from her lips to her own eyes and back again. As if he was checking to see if she held any fear for what he was about to do, but Piera held strong. Once their lips touched, Lesatan placed both of his hands on her cheeks.

Piera was surprised at first, but after a moment she began to melt into his attentions. It was not long before Lesatan's hands slowly fell to her shoulders and then to the bust of her dress.

He spoke in a low, whispered tone as he pulled at the top of her corset. "Take it off before I tear it off."

She knew fully what was about to occur between her and the prince. With a swallow, she prepared herself as she stood up and began to unlaced her top. Fear fought with her excitement over what would happened in these next few moments, but before the corset could fall Lesatan stood and grabbed hold of both her arms that were behind her back.

"You can say no."

Piera finished her work and the corset fell to the ground. "I am aware."

---***---

Of course, her father's guards had to be waiting at her dorm when she arrived. As soon as Santh saw them, he excused himself to a quiet evening drinking at The Enchantress. Ophelia and Remus then decided that they would have a private meal together, and left Lenore to walk with the Royal Guards to the Royal Dorms.

Upon entering her father's study, she took a seat in front of his desk as she crossed her arms like a spoiled child who had just been punished. The door to the study was closed by the guards who waited outside in the hall. Her father finished a letter he was writing before setting it aside.

"I do hope I did not interrupt any festivities." The King's words were spoken only halfheartedly and there was a small grin on his lips.

"Well, I was making a small step towards progress with Santh Aguilar, but the moment has passed." She grunted.

"What sort of father would I be if I allowed my daughter free range of any man she chose?" He leaned back in his chair.

Lenore frowned, "Before you begin saving me from myself, you should find out first how many I have chosen already. You are very late in the game if you wish to protect my maidenhood, father."

Lucius chuckled, "Fair enough, but know that the Queen will go insane if you choose Santh for a prolonged relationship."

She gave one loud, "Ha!" before releasing her crossed arms. "That only makes the idea sweeter."

"I knew it would." Placing his hands on his desk, he watched her for a moment. "Will you be attending the ball tonight? I know of many gentlemen within this dorm that have asked after you."

Lenore sucked on her bottom lip and before she could answer her father raised his hand.

"Very well. You face the Queen's wrath alone, and remember that I offered. Now, tell me why you were so tardy the first day of the tournament."

Her armed crossed once more. "That is between Lesatan and myself. You and Aletta should remain firmly outside."

He rubbed his chin, "I agree, but you realize that the Queen will not."

"Her attacks on me are comparable to childhood pranks. She may as well fling mud into my hair for all the good she has done thus far."

Lucius stared at his daughter and then cleared his throat. "If you believe that to be wise advice for yourself, then I would suggest getting another adviser. Now, for the real reason I summoned you. The tasks you have been assigned with, I need them completed by the beginning of the next school year. I hear you have plans to stay here during the break and not return to Arthes. Is this correct?"

"Yes, it is."

He nodded his head. "I will allow it, but you must finish your assignment. Are we understood?"

"We are understood, but I do not understand why you wish to rush my project. I have another five years to complete this, why now?" Lenore uncrossed her arms and leaned forward.

"There are whispers and I need information, but you must finish your task first. This is of the utmost importance, Lenore."

Standing from her chair, she looked down at her father. "Then I will ensure that it is completed in time. I will have to bring others into the fold, but as per your former request it shall not be Remus or anyone of power."

"Good. I would invite you to enjoy a meal with me, but I must attend the ball. Are you certain that you shall not change your mind? The Queen brought a dress for you to wear, and she is more than likely waiting in your dorm room here."

Lenore slipped out her tongues passed her lips.

"Very well. I have warned you, she will not take this insult lightly."