Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CH2) Chapter 10: Conniving Monster

Two weeks had passed, the weekend was upon them and Riane found herself waking up around nine in the morning. She hadn't slept in that late in several years, but she had found herself hiding from Julian. It was nearly impossible during school hours so she had to sneak away from him at the end of the day.

She spent a great deal of time with Emma and Ivy, but upon arriving home she was always met with Julian in some form or another. He was either waiting up for her in the living room, hanging out in her bedroom, or sleeping in her bed.

Part of her was getting used to it and found it somewhat sweet that he wanted to spend time with her. He hadn't mentioned his crush on her once since that night, and she was hopeful that he was getting over it. Especially, when he and the guys went out to some clubs and he didn't come home until almost four in the morning.

Of course, he went straight to her room to wake her up and tell her that he didn't sleep with anyone as a way of reassuring her. Though, she didn't know if she believed, and she knew she shouldn't care anyway.

Stretching out her legs and placing them on the ground, she couldn't help but think about the moment when Julian had done the same thing on her bed. She felt her cheeks heat up and quickly smacked herself on the face.

As if to save her from further thoughts, her phone rang and the caller ID read Blake. She smiled at the thought of him calling her, and asked with as much cheer as she could muster. "Blake, good morning!"

"Good morning." He said flatly.

She had heard rumors that he and Adonia had broken up, but she didn't know why and she thought it might look desperate if she called him to find out any of the details. As much as she wanted to know, she didn't want him to think she was sniffing around to see if there was space for her. After all she was no longer just his friend, but someone who had admitted romantic feelings for him.

"What do I owe the pleasure?" She continued to sit on her bed but swung her legs back and forth.

"I wanted to talk to you... about what we discussed before." He was a little nervous and she could hear it in his voice. The thought that he could be nervous when speaking to her made her slightly giddy.

"Discussed before?" She was barely even listing to the conversation at this point.

"About you coming to live with me. I suppose you heard that I broke up with Adonia, so that is no longer an issue." His voice returned to a calmer state.

Riane's heart sunk. "You broke up with Adonia. Not over this I hope." She didn't want to be another reason that he lost a girlfriend, even though she knew it was hypocritical after their very short attempt to break them up. Julian had made it perfectly clear that she was now on her own with Blake, and he would no longer be part of any subterfuge.

"No, it had nothing to do with you." He lied.

In truth, he had spent the last two weeks thinking about what Adonia had said to him. He questioned every aspect of his life since he met Riane. In the end, he could come to only one conclusion and that was Adonia was right. He obviously loved Riane, but thought there could never be anything more than friendship.

She never dated anyone and she would be forced to marry a man, but he never questioned her sexuality. He thought she might not like men at all, and somehow in his mind had formulated a plan to keep her at his side, but also have a girlfriend.

The girls were smarter than he gave them credit for and they all picked up on it eventually. They may have blamed Riane for her feelings, but there was no doubt that they could sense his as well.

He had been a conniving monster who had hurt a lot of girls before he couldn't admit to himself his own feelings. It was time for him to act upon them whether he was to be rejected or not.

"Oh, well, I am sorry to hear it." Riane said softly. "However, I don't think it is a good idea considering what happened between us. I don't want to confuse myself." That was some of the truth, but really she didn't want to get her hopes up and end up heartbroken after living with him.

"See that's what I wanted to talk to you. Do you still have those feelings for me?" Blake's heart beat uncontrollably as he knew he was about to put his own heart on the line. It terrified him, but he didn't know anything else but honesty.

Riane didn't know how to answer the question. It felt like a trap. If she said yes then he might not want to talk to her for a while, and if she said no then she might be shutting down something she wanted from him.

"Uh, that's an awkward question."

He cleared his throat, "Of course, it is. The reason I ask..."

"Julian, get out of here!" Riane screamed. "You don't know if I am decent you can't just walk in here!"

"You are always decent. You are like a never nude." Julian voice said playfully and he laughed at his own joke afterward.

"I am not a never nude! I am on the phone, get out!" Riane stood from her bed and grabbed the door, although Blake could not see the motions she was making or her face. He could hear some humor in her voice even though she was trying to be serious.

"Hey, I brought waffles. I made them myself and everything." Julian nearly whined and Blake could hear the pouted out bottom lip.

Blake's nervous heart hardened as he felt jealousy over Riane for the first time in his life. This would not be how he would lose his best friend, especially not to that cretin.

"I am in love with you, Riane." Blake said as loudly as he could, but at the same time Julian screamed.

"Ah! My nipple!" He laughed during the pain of Riane's assault, and when she was over he continued to be amused. "If you want to touch me all you have to do is ask."

"Put your shirt on!" Riane screamed obviously she had not heard what Blake had screamed out to her.

"Look my nip is all red. Kiss it." He came towards her and Riane screamed as she jumped on her bed in an effort to get away from him.

"Julian, stop! You're being crazy!" She laughed as she jumped off the bed after Julian followed her onto it.

He jumped down and caught her in his arms with her back to him. Her arms were pinched down underneath his own and he quickly spun her around the room.

"Don't, Julian! You'll make me sick!" She barked though the humor in her voice told him and Blake that she was enjoying it.

"Riane?" Blake tried to gain her attention.

"Say you're sorry or I'll hug you to death!" Julian began to squeeze her tightly which caused Riane to make a grunting noise.

"Sorry!" She spoke the word in a strained manner.

He released her and they both continued to laugh. "Do you want tea or coffee?"

"Tea, please." She continued to chuckle as he left the room and she put the phone back up to her ear. "Um, Blake, are you there?"

"I am. I want you to think about moving in here with me. Your feelings or mine can be figured out when you are in a better locations, alright?" Blake couldn't go through with telling her how he felt just yet.

She sighed, "I'll think about it, but I don't think it's a good idea."

-***-

Angela walked beside Seth with his hand in her own. She hadn't been shy about taking it when they first entered the mall. It had been her idea to go on a shopping date, and they had met at the entrance instead of having him come to pick her up. She said she liked the idea of having her own car just in case.

He didn't like how ominous that sounded, but so far the time spent together hadn't been too bad. She, of course, talked incessantly and she turned her nose up to items and people at every turn. However, she had not turned that venom towards him, at least not yet.

Over the course of the last couple of weeks, she had tried to kiss him on several occasions. In truth, he didn't find her attractive and her entire personality was off putting. She was a beautiful women by any means to look at, but there was nothing in there that made him want to be with her forever. In fact, he feared showing any intimacy with her for fear she might think he was using her for sex.

It was getting tiresome to come up with reasons not to kiss her, and he knew she would eventually want to know why. There is only so many times that one can say they don't feel well and don't want the other one to catch it.

"Now that we are boyfriend and girlfriend, don't you think you should buy me a piece of jewelry to celebrate?" Angela asked as they walked through the crowded mall.

"Like a ring?" His heart nearly jumped into this throat at the thought of what she might be implying.

"No, silly, like a necklace or earrings. Not a ring, that would be a ridiculous thing to ask for." She chuckled as she stopped in front of a window to a store to look over the clothing. "Who would wear this brand?"

"Someone who can't afford..." He cut himself off when she realized that it was a rhetorical question, and she wasn't listening to him anyway.

"You know what the best thing about being born in April is?" She turned towards him after she eyed another couple that was walking with the man's arm over his lady's shoulder. A tinge of jealousy entered her heart. "They look cozy."

"What?" He responded to her question not her comment.

"I said they looked cozy."

Seth shook his head, "No, what is the best thing about being born in April?"

Angela giggled, "Oh, it's because of my birthstone, do you know what it is?"

He got the distinct feeling that if he got this wrong, she might become a little upset but he also figured he could guess by who she was as a person. "Diamond?"

She clasped her hands together, "Yes! My friends get birthstones and they are garnets or emeralds or rubies... or heaven forbid opals. Not me, I am encrusted with diamonds and it's not pretentious because it's my birthstone."

"I suppose not." Seth sighed when she grabbed his hand and began to walk again.

Somehow, he remembered her being less shallow in the past. He wondered if something had changed her or if he just hadn't been paying attention. Then again, he might have thought it was normal until he met Riane and her female friends. Not that his mother was shallow by any means, but she wasn't someone to date either.

"Oh, samples!" Angela pointed towards a kiosk that was selling seasonal sausage and cheeses for the holidays.

A girl stood in front of it with a tray and offered out samples to those walking by. She smiled at everyone and told them the price before they eventually walked away.

Upon seeing her, Seth's heart began to speed up as Angela pulled him towards her. "What are these?"

"Hey, Emma." Seth smiled at her.

Emma gave a smile of recognition, and completely ignored Angela's question though it wasn't on purpose, but from the surprise of seeing a friend. "Seth! Hi!"

"You two know each other?" Angela didn't care for the look the two gave each other as she grabbed a toothpick and took one of the smoked cheese samples off the tray.

"Yes, Emma goes to school with me. She is friends with Riane." He told her as if she should know any of these people's names. "Emma, this is Angela. My girlfriend slash arranged fiancee."

Angela frowned at her introduction and ignored Emma when she tried to shake her hand. "Who is Riane?"

He nodded and didn't seemed bothered by her sudden jealousy that was obvious even to Emma. "Julian's fiancee. Dalen was dating her friend, Joe. I thought I told you about this."

She slowly shook her head, "I didn't know you had so many female friends. I am sure I would have remembered something like that."

He shrugged, "Well, three female friends is hardly a lot, especially when two of them are dating your friends."

Emma felt uncomfortable and looked towards those passing them by. "Cheese?"

"So, you are working here through the winter break then?" He asked when Angela had nothing to reply.

She nodded, "Until we go on that trip. Riane invited me, she said she didn't want to be the only girl there. I've never been to a Hawaii before and I can't believe she is actually taking me with her. I am so excited."

Riane had even offered to make sure that her bills were paid in order to have her friend tag along. It had taken some time to convince her to let Riane do such a thing for her, but Riane told her she wouldn't offer if she didn't really want her to come. However, she wanted to leave that out of the conversation.

"You are going to Hawaii?" This had been the first that Angela had heard of such a thing. She was starting to get a sense that perhaps she didn't know Seth at all.

Seth gave a nod, "Yeah, just friends."

"Is Riane going with Julian?" She had just learned of these names, but already she was prepared to use them against him.

"Yes, but they aren't really engaged. They are just faking it in order to finish out college. Riane was our friend before she became his fiancee." Seth turned back to Emma. "I can't believe you are coming that will be so much fun."

"Well, I should get back to work." Emma held up the tray, "I'll see you on Monday when we leave, yes?"

"Yep, see you then." Seth continued to hold Angela's hand and this time he walked away with her in tow.

When Angela felt she was far enough away from Seth, she pulled on his hand to get him to stop walking. There was a bench nearby and she sat down but Seth remained standing.

"Um, why didn't you tell me about your female friends? You mentioned Julian and Dalen, but I have never heard of a Riane, or a Emma, or a Joe before. It feels like you have something to hide." She crossed her arms over her chest and lean back on the bench.

"You know it just hasn't come up. We haven't really talked about me much. Most of the subject matter is about you and your life. I would have told you eventually." Seth decided to sit down beside her.

"And when were you planning on telling me about Hawaii? You leave on Monday, and you weren't going to let me know this would be the last time I would see you in a while?"

Seth opened his mouth and then closed it. "You know it didn't cross my mind that I needed to tell you. I'm sorry."

Angela sighed, "Very well. Let's make this day count then. How long will you be gone?"

"A week." He said nonchalantly.

"A week! Are you kidding me?"

-***-

Dalen had been trying to get a hold of Joe for two weeks. It seemed that Riane had been attempting to talk to her as well, but she had gone silent. Though Dalen wondered how truly hard Riane had tried to talk to her friend.

He had given her plenty of space and decided that he wanted to come back over to her home to see her. After speaking with his sister he did see some of her points that she was trying to make. He did sound like he needed approval from his family in order to continue their relationship, and that wasn't the case at all.

Unless she acted like a terrible person or seemed to be a gold digger, his family didn't really care about who he dated. In fact, they gave him quite a bit of leeway compared to other families of his station. His mother always told him that she just wanted someone that could make him happy, and she would always jokingly add that she would like someone who liked to bake.

On his way over he found a flower shop that had a dozen red roses, and had happily purchased them as a peace offering.

Without telling the Swithins that he was there, he parked his car in the front and headed around back to the guest house. As soon as he turned the corner, he was met with a familiar face carrying a box and a surprised look on his face.

"Uh, Neil, right?" Dalen held out his hand until he realized that the man couldn't shake it. "Oh, sorry, no need to put it down."

Neil chuckled, "Yeah. Dalen, right?"

He nodded, "Um, is Joe in there?"

"Yeah, we are just moving her boxes to the car. She is moving back home." Neil shifted as the box he was carrying was heavy.

"Oh, alright. Well, could you give us a couple minutes before heading back?" Dalen didn't expect him to agree, but he nodded and quickly left.

Walking over to the open door, even though it was freezing out, Dalen stepped inside to see the small amount of boxes that had been packed up. He wondered what exactly was going on, but decided that it was probably none of his business. At least, it wasn't yet.

"Joe!" He called her name.

She appeared, wearing shorts and a tank top, from the kitchen and looked surprised to see him. "Dalen, what are you doing here?"

"I've been trying to get a hold of you, but you weren't answering my calls." He held out the flowers to her. "Probably not the best time to receive flowers, but they are still yours to do with as you please."

She took them from him and tossed them onto the couch. "Dalen, I am really busy right now. I don't have time to deal with this."

"Look, I am very sorry about what happened. I realized that I made it sound like my family needed to approve of you, and that is not what I meant. Don't you want your mom to like me? That is all I was going for. Can we please just talk about it?" He brought his hands together as if he were begging her.

Joe sighed and placed her hands on her hips. "I didn't answer your calls because I didn't want to talk to you. I don't want to see you anymore. Can't you understand that?"

"I don't understand why. One argument and our relationship is over. Am I that easy to toss out?" He remembered feeling this way several times before in his life. A girl feels overwhelmed and she tosses him aside in an effort to escape.

"The way you treated me was the way you treat someone you barely know. Tossing me out of your home because I am trying to explain my emotions to you that is just cruel." She crossed her arms. "I am not important enough to be heard then I am not important enough to stay at your side."

"I thought our conversation was becoming too hot and that it would lead to no where. I wanted things to cool down before we discussed it further."

She licked her bottom lip briefly and gave a sarcastic chuckle. "Is that some sort of bad joke? You wanted things to cool down so instead of saying let's talk about something else and talk about it later when we are a little even headed, you throw me out into the snow? Remind you that you didn't even bother to walk me to the door. You made me see my own self out."

He slowly nodded her head as she spoke, "In hind sight, I can see how that could be seen as disrespectful."

She swallowed, "I think we are done here."

"Look, we are all going to Hawaii together on Monday. Why don't you come? At the very least maybe you and Riane can have a real chat. She said that she has been trying to talk to you."

"I don't want to go to Hawaii with you or Riane!" She tossed her hands in the air. "Riane has sent me a total of two texts to which I replied that I was hurt, and she didn't reply back at all. That's not exactly trying to talk to me, is it?"

"So, what you are quitting your job?" He sounded exasperated, "What are you going to do to pay for college?"

"I haven't driven Riane anywhere in almost three weeks now. Do you know what the worst part of it is? That Ivy bitch that attacked her, remember her?"

He nodded.

"They are fucking friends now, and I am in the fucking cold! She forgave her, but she couldn't bring herself to forgive me. I am her oldest friend. I should be the one she wants in her life, but instead she now has Emma and Ivy. She has you and Seth. Most disgustingly, she has Julian following her around like a puppy wanting to please her at every turn." Tears began to form in her eyes. "I am her friend. Why don't I get any forgiveness? I made one fucking mistake."

He reached out to hold her, but Joe shoved his hands away. "Do you want me to talk to her? Help you find out what is going on?"

"No, Dalen. I want you to not be part of my life anymore. Don't you understand? I am breaking up with you. We are done. Finished. Over." She was trying her best not to scream.

"I don't understand why. You are mad that Riane won't forgive you over one mistake, and here you are unable to do the same for me." He dropped his hands to his side. "You know what. Be a hypocrite. When you are done acting insane, give me a call and maybe we can work something out. Good luck to you."

He turned around to leave and found Neil standing in the door way. Pausing for a second, he felt ashamed of what he had just said, but continued to move towards the door. Neil stepped out of his way and watched him disappear around the house.

Joe wiped tears from her eyes. "What a dick!"

Stepping inside the house, he shut the door behind him. "He was a little right though, wasn't he? I mean you said your relationship was really good, one of the best, and you can't forgive him over making a single mistake?"

She placed her hand over her heart, "I want to. I want to so badly."

"Then do it."

Sitting down on the back of the couch, she slowly shook her head. "I can't. Every time I try my heart clenches up and my mouth won't let me form the words."

"Have you tried a letter or a text instead?" Neil came over to the couch to stand in front of her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

"I write it and then I erase it. Over and over again."

He inhaled and sat down beside her, "So your pride is in the way of your boyfriend, but what about Riane? Maybe that is the problem whenever she tries to reach out."

She nodded, "I know it is."

-***-

Ivy waved at the bus when she saw Emma in the window. The two didn't live far from each other and Ivy would wait at the bus stop after Emma's shift to walk home with her. Though Ivy hadn't really gotten too close to Riane, she did find a friend in Emma.

It was nice to have a friend that wasn't part of the alcohol and drug life style that she was trapped in. Finding things to do other than those things was always a nice surprise. Plus Emma was a kind person but she, at times, could pull out her inner demon if she felt disrespected.

"Hey, how was work?" Ivy asked as she bundled up in her faux fur coat and rubbed her hands together as Emma stepped off the bus into the snow.

"You will not believe who I ran into." Emma was putting on her hat and gloves as she spoke. "Seth was there with his fiancee."

"Yikes. Did he introduce you?" Ivy asked as the two walked towards her apartment.

The truth was Ivy lived across the street from the bar she worked at, so she didn't need to come to the bus stop everyday. However, the social interaction made her feel much less lonely, and in a selfish way Emma sometimes fed her. After eating ramen noodles almost every day for years, it was nice to have a home cooked meal.

"Yes, he did. She and I didn't talk much though. I told you before that he said he wasn't very interested in her." She sighed. "He stared at me pretty much the whole time, except when they were arguing about him not telling her about the trip."

"What trip?"

Emma raised an eyebrow, "The one to Hawaii I told you about last week."

Ivy nodded her head, "Oh, yeah. I guess I am not invited."

"Sorry, Ivy. I am sure Riane wanted to, but Julian wouldn't be comfortable with that. Not that I have talked to Riane about it. Would you like me to?" Even in her big coat, she felt frozen to the core and wrapped her arms around herself.

"No, I don't need an explanation why I am not invited. Riane and Julian are engaged, of course they don't want his old friend with benefits hanging around on a nice vacation." She did feel left out, but also knew she hadn't been friends with Riane for that long. Of course neither had Emma, but their's was a different story.

"Yeah, even more so now that Julian seems to be getting serious about the engagement." Emma couldn't wait to get home to have a hot cup of tea to warm her body, and her mind was mostly stuck on the smell and taste.

"It wasn't serious in the beginning?" Ivy questioned as they finally got to a part of the sidewalk that someone had salted, so they no longer had to trudge through the snow.

She nodded, "Yeah, it was an arranged engagement. They were just going to pretend until college was over and then break up to keep their parents off their back."

"No shit. Julian never seemed the type to play games, but now he is getting serious? Like he is actually falling for her? I wonder what that looks like." Ivy chuckled.

Over the last two weeks, she had learned that Julian was actually nineteen years old and it made her lose a great deal of interest over him. She thought he was younger than her, but she didn't think he was that much younger. It made many of the immature things he did make a lot more sense.

"It looks a lot like heart eyes and sickly sweet declarations. He is intent on making her like him back. If you ever get a chance to see it; don't. It is like watching a puppy desperately want someone's attention, but that person hates dogs." Emma laughed.

Her friend smirked, "I can't even imagine it."

"He buys her a candy bar every few days and slyly places it on her tray. He runs around giving her hugs from behind and holding her there until she says whatever he wants her to say. I saw him try to steal a kiss from her cheek, but Riane wasn't having any of that. It is the most dorky thing you can imagine, and it's from Julian so it makes it super awkward." Emma continued to chuckle, "Riane looks like an annoyed cat being taunted by the dog."

Ivy shook her head with a grin, "Who would have thought Julian could be a total goof when he is in love."

"Riane told me that he liked this girl before her. He was very cold to her, but Seth told me that it was because she turned him down hard. Like in front of people. He still liked her, but he was pissed at the same time." She stopped in front of her apartment building. "Do you want to come up? I am going to make tea, and probably spaghetti. There is always leftovers."

"Sure." Ivy began climbing the stairs after Emma started heading up. "So, about Seth. Other than noticing him staring at you, are there any signs that he likes you?"

Emma began to unlock the front door and she shook her head. "I can't decide if he is just being friendly, or if there is something there. He is engaged anyway, so it doesn't really matter, does it? I am not the type to get in the way."

They stepped inside and Ivy noticed a box in the corner, as they both took off their jackets and put them on the back of the couch. "What is that?"

"My mom's friend redid her living room, so my mom sent me her old living room stuff. Tv stand, side tables, and a coffee table. If you help me put it together, you can take any of my old things you want." Emma told her as she walked into the kitchen and turned on the electric kettle that already had water in it.

"My studio is pretty small, but I definitely could use a TV stand. I have a box with books in it right now." She wasn't embarrassed to admit these things to Emma, even though she didn't really want her to come to her own place.

"Yeah, and mine has draws so you can use it to put away clothes or whatever." She pulled down two mugs. "I have nighttime or peppermint."

"Peppermint, please."

"Oh, a lemon one too. I don't know why I have this, I hate lemon in my tea." She stared at the box for a couple seconds, "I bet my mom bought this for herself when she visited."

"Peppermint is fine."

"Are you sure you don't want any of the other pieces? You might not have room for a coffee table, but what about one side table?" Emma asked as she stepped out of the kitchen and found Ivy sitting on her couch.

"I would hate to break up the set." Ivy explained but she sounded hesitant to turn her down. "I don't have any tables at my house though."

"They are stackable. Take both." Emma walked around to sit beside her on the couch, and she exhaled loudly. "Horrible mistake. Now that I am sitting, I'll never want to stand up."

Ivy snickered, "I've had days like that." She leaned back against the couch. "Make sure you take lots of pictures in Hawaii. I want to feel like I was there when I look at them."

"Don't worry. I can't wait to see green again." Emma massaged her own shoulder and then stretched out her neck.

Turning her head, she looked at Emma with a tired look in her eyes but a smirk on her lips. "Green, what is that?"

They both giggled for a moment and then sat quietly while they listened to the kettle boil the water in the kitchen.

"Do I smell like meats and cheeses?" She asked after the quiet became too awkward for her and she simply had to fill the air with something.

"Yeah, smells good though. I mean not go on a date smell like that nice, but definitely I wish you had stolen some so I could eat it nice." Ivy stretched out her arms.

"Coat pocket. They let you take some home to prevent stealing." She laughed when Ivy's eyes lit up and she began to dig through the pockets of her coat.

"Why didn't you lead with this information?"

-***-

Riane made her way downstairs with Julian in tow. They were laughing at something one of them had said, but Nanette hadn't overheard their conversation. She had been waiting for Riane to come downstairs as she had been thinking about a particular topic for weeks now, but didn't know how to broach the subject.

"Riane." Nanette stepped out from the dining room. "Can I speak to you privately?"

Julian felt ill at ease at the thought of his mother taking Riane away from him for a "private" conversation. Would it be about him? Would it be about ending their engagement?

"Certainly." Riane said nothing as she followed Nanette into the dining room and left Julian in the hallway.

For a moment, he thought to walk away from the room but instead he stomped on the stairs a few times to make it sound like he ascended them before placing himself against the wall. He had no idea what his mother had been up to lately in her thoughts, and she had never tried to push the two together. He feared she was unhappy with the arrangement, and wouldn't let Riane fight this battle alone, even if that meant eavesdropping.

Riane stared at the woman across from her who folded her hands on top of the table and cleared her throat. "Is something wrong?"

"No, nothing is wrong." Nanette spoke softly. "I have been thinking about your degree and I remember you telling me that you wanted to study music."

"Yes, I did." Riane's heart began to race and her palms began to sweat as anxiety of where this conversation might lead set in.

"I have heard you playing instruments for weeks now, and I don't know if you have noticed but Zack has become quite the fan." She smiled gently.

"I have noticed him peeking in on me, but if I let him know I see him he just runs away. It's very cute." Riane started to think this conversation might lead to her teaching Zack a instrument or two instead of anywhere frightful.

Nanette continued to smile, "Riane, I understand that you didn't become a music major because of your father's choices in your life. Is that true?"

"He didn't think it would lead to any sort of career. He says it's a hobby not a way to support your life and family." The question immediately made her nervous again though she couldn't decide why that was just yet.

"I was thinking that when you sign up for classes in January that maybe you switch your major." Nanette watched as the girl's face grew with confusion and then worry.

"My father was pretty adamant about what my major should be." Riane remembered the argument and her father threatening to throw her out.

"That was when you lived under his roof, but this is your home now. Here we do not tell our children what their futures should be. Despite my hypocritical attempts with Julian, but you understand what I mean." She inhaled deeply, "I think you would be a great deal happier if you made the switch and when one member of the family is happier everyone benefits."

Riane liked the idea of being called family and grinned apprehensively. "I would fear my father's wrath."

"So, we don't tell him. It is not like you have had any contact with your family since you moved out, right?"

"No, but if he finds out he could pull my college funds." She began to play with her fingers under the table.

"If he does we will pay them. He can't toss you out, you live here. If it's money for college then we can afford to pay for you. Just think about it, alright?" Nanette feared that she wouldn't even agree to think about the matter as Riane looked terrified.

"Alright." She agreed reluctantly.

"Are you kidding?" Julian stormed into the room and stood next to Riane, his eyes turned downward to look upon her face. "You have to get your music degree."

Riane was confused by his sudden interruptions.

"Julian, I have asked you not to eavesdrop. It is rude." Nanette scolded, but her son seemed unwilling to hear her words.

"I get to do what I am a genius at, and you should be able to as well. Music is something you love, but you are ignoring it to do something you loathe." Julian's voice held genuine concern, which was something that Nanette had not expected. Not because of what he was saying, but because of the emotion behind it. "One day you'll be sitting in a meeting doing administration bullshit, and you'll overhear a song or something. Your brain will just snap and a flood of regret will fill you, and you realize that you allowed someone else to destroy your dream without ever giving it a chance when you were given one."

Riane's eyes turned to the table as she thought over his words. Though his story was a little over the top, the sentiment behind it was real enough.

Nanette was lost in her own world. She still wanted Riane to take on a music degree, but her mind was now stuck on her son.

The two had been getting along recently, but she hadn't noticed it until that moment. Her son's eyes looked at Riane with a softness that she hadn't seen in a long time. He was commanding her, but trying to convince her.

Had this actually worked? She figured the two decided to get along to finish out college as Julian's threats ended quickly, but she never really thought anything would happen between the two. She just wanted to curb Julian's unsavory activities until he had finished school. Both her and her husband thought that had a eternal playboy on their hands.

Riane nodded her head and looked up to Julian. "You're right. Next semester I'll change my major and start living for myself; not my dad."

Julian smiled widely, "Great! Maybe I'll get you to teach me an instrument."

"Which one?"

He shrugged, "Which one do you think I should play?"

Riane chuckled, "That's a very personal decision. I can show you a bunch and maybe you can find the one you want."

"Alright, right now?"

A throat cleared itself for attention from the doorway, and Joe stood there ready to say her goodbyes to Nanette for all she had done for her.

"I'm going to head home now." She explained.

Nanette stood from the chair and walked over to her. "Are you sure about this? I don't want you to lose your job."

"There is no job." Joe tried her best not to look at her friend. She had felt jealousy towards Julian as she watched the two interact with one another.

"What's going on?" Julian asked.

"Joe is moving back to her mother's apartment and is quitting her job here." Nanette told them with disappointment.

Standing from her chair, Riane walked over to Joe. "Can I have a moment alone?"

Joe nodded and followed her out of the room.

Turning her attention to her son, Nanette opened her mouth to ask the question but quickly closed it. She didn't know if asking him about his feelings for Riane would cause him to shut them down and she didn't want to risk it.

"I hope they make up." She mumbled.

Julian shrugged, "That's up to them."

-***-

Julian stood in the hallway as Joe and Riane talked in the other room. He knew enough to give them some space, but he wanted to be there when she left the living room. Leaning against the wall, he waited with his hands in his pockets.

What could he ask her to do today? Was the only thought he had.

It was snowing rather hard and he knew that they were having a meeting later in the day. They were going to make out plans for their trip to Hawaii.

He couldn't wait to get Riane there. There were plans he made especially for the two of them, and he couldn't wait for her to see his grand gestures. Everything had to be perfect. He would prove to Riane that he really did have feelings for her.

After admitting his feelings to her a couple weeks ago, he hadn't mentioned it again. He thought that perhaps talking to her about it made her anxious, so instead he would get her to see him properly through his actions.

He knew she had been talking to Blake on the phone that morning, and he had been extremely jealous. However, he wouldn't let it show, as much as he wanted to "accidentally" hang up on him. No, he would let Blake hear them having fun and enjoying eachother's company.

Was it petty? Most likely, but he didn't care.

He could hear the girls raising their voices slightly, but they didn't sound like they were arguing so he decided to wait in the hall as planned. He had no idea if Riane even knew he was waiting for her, but she didn't seem surprised anymore that he popped up randomly out of nowhere anymore.

His phone rang in his pocket and he pulled it out to see Adonia's name on his screen. Without hesitation, he shoved it back into his pocket and let it go to voicemail. Riane could slip out without him if he was distracted when she finished up.

The phone rang again and once more it was Adonia. With a groan he decided to answer the phone to see what was so important.

"Hey, what's up?" He said nonchalantly.

Adonia's smile could be heard in her voice. "How are you this morning?"

Oh great, random chit chat. He thought before answering her. "Everyone is fine. Is there a reason you called?"

"I was wondering if you had plans today? Maybe we could hang out?" She sounded nervous though Julian was too self involved to notice.

"Um, I have plans today with my friends." He rolled his eyes and wondered why she would be asking to hang out with him. She never seemed interested in it before.

"I don't know if you know this, but Blake and I broke up." It almost sounded like a question though Adonia really was fishing for a reaction.

Julian cleared his throat, "Oh, yeah. I was sorry to hear that. Did you need to get anything from his apartment or something?"

It was a strange question from him, but Adonia did like the fact that he showed some interest in helping her. She giggled, "No, in truth I only went there a couple of times. He is overly protective of his apartment. It is one of the reasons I was so shocked that he was willing to let Riane live with him. That place is a museum to his life."

"That's... well, that's odd. Look I don't have much time to talk right now." He tried to look around the wall to see if Joe and Riane were finishing up, but didn't want to draw their attention. "Don't you have girlfriends to hang out with?"

"They went on vacation together, but I decided to stay home. I am not much for travel, especially in the winter to Europe. No warmer there then it is here." She laughed gently, but in truth was trying to get him to laugh with her. She knew from years of flirting that if a man laughed with her even at something that wasn't funny than he probably held feelings for her.

Julian did not laugh, "Yeah, that seems like a pretty fucking stupid place to visit right now." A sigh was forming in the back of his throat and he tried his best to hold it in.

Looking up the stairs, he noticed his brothers coming down the steps. When Bryce reached the end, he stopped him after shoving Zack to the side.

"Here is Bryce, talk to him." Julian shoved the phone in his brother's face and moved to the wall in order to check that the girls were still talking in the living room and didn't sneak out the sliding doors without him.

Bryce took the phone and placed it to his ear. "Hello?" He had no idea who would be on the other line.

Adonia immediately felt offended. "Hey, Bryce. It's Adonia. What is Julian doing?"

"Stalking Riane it would appear." This felt to him as if he had been placed in the middle of an awkward situation, but he didn't have enough details to actually feel awkward about it.

She chuckled down the resentment and jealousy. "Stalking Riane? How do you stalk your own fiancee?"

"Well, she is talking to someone in the living room and he is watching her from the hallway undetected." Bryce explained and his brother flipped him off before giving him the cut throat sign in order to stop having that conversation with Adonia.

"Oh." She chuckled once more. "I was just calling to see if Julian wanted to hang out, but he says he is busy." This was a conversation that had no natural stopping point, so she knew she had to create one. Afterward, she would lick her wounds, mostly her pride, and try again at another point.

"Uh, actually, he wasn't lying about that." He sounded surprised, "He really is going to see his friends today. They are making plans for their trip, I think."

"Their trip to where?"

He shrugged even though she couldn't see him. "I haven't asked." Looking towards his brother that had his back against the wall and was trying to peer around the corner, he asked. "Where are you going on your trip?"

Julian waved his hand at him and refused to answer.

"He isn't answering me. He is very involved in this stalker business. Anyway, I was about to head out as well. Chad is having a get together, weren't you invited?" He leaned against the wall across the hallway from his brother.

Zack walked by with a sandwich in hand that Bryce was certain came with a plate, but his little brother had ditched it. He headed up the stairs, seeming to ignore both of his older brothers. Bryce rubbed his Zack's head and messed up his hair as he walked by, but the young Swithin ignored him completely. It made Bryce smirk.

"Yeah, I was, but I am afraid that Blake will be there. I am not ready to face him after what happened."

Bryce nodded his head once more acting out physically for something she was unable to see. "I am sorry about that, but I don't think Blake is going. I am pretty sure he said it was just him, Brian, and Ashley. I bet Ash could use another female there."

She cleared her throat. "It is best to not run the risk of bumping into him right now. What happened, well, it wasn't very pretty."

"I see. Well, alright then. I will let you go as I don't think Julian wanted back on the phone. Bye." He hung up after he heard her say her salutation.

Offering out the phone to his brother, he had to jam him in the arm with it to get his attention. Julian frowned before snatching the phone away and shoving it in his pocket.

"This is weird." He motioned toward his brother but meant his actions. "Like seriously, get a hobby."

His younger brother offered him no reply, so Bryce merely shook his head before heading to the hallway closet to gather his coat. Whatever those two were doing was none of his business; he had decided.

-***-

Joe and Riane stood in the living room after they had left the dining room. Neither knew what they wanted to say in that moment, but Joe feared that this would be the final chat she would ever have with her friend.

"I wanted to apologize one more time about what happened." Joe finally spoke after several long moments of silence, which were probably only a couple seconds.

Riane nodded her head, "I should have spoken to you about this a while ago, but I didn't know how to approach you. What you did was really shitty, Jolene. I mean could you even imagine if I pulled something like that on you?"

Her eyes slowly filled with tears, "I know. The moment I did it, I realized that I was being a horrible friend."

"Why would you do something like that?" Riane crossed her arms and sat down on the arm of the couch.

Joe tossed her hands into the air briefly, before wiping away a fallen tear. "I wanted to teach you and Julian a lesson. That sounds really terrible, but I thought what you two were doing was really terrible too. Trying to break up a couple for your gain."

Before Riane even spoke she knew exactly what she was going to say. Riane was pretty good at only discussing one topic during an argument instead of getting off topic and never tackling the issues at hand. Joe already knew that her friend was simply going to put her back on track. It made her feel slightly annoyed when she saw her friend's face take on the look that simply said, "Stop."

"We aren't talking about what I did. This discussion is about what you did." She uncrossed her arms and placed her hands in her knees as she shifted around.

"What I did was directly related to what you were plotting. I wouldn't have done it otherwise." Even though some tears were falling down her cheeks, she still tried to hold back the tide. It was a worthless endeavor as they slowly spilled out anyway.

"You don't get to make decisions for me. You don't get to be my moral police. You don't get to be my judge, jury, and executioner. Do you understand that? I am allowed to make bad decisions if I want to make them, just as much as I am allowed to make good ones. You aren't my mother. I already have one of those. Got it?" Riane stood up and placed her hands on her hips.

Joe nodded slowly, "I know." She sniffled. "I realized I was in the wrong the moment I did it, and I am really sorry."

"She has become my friend." Her tone was no longer harsh, "If you hadn't done that, she and I wouldn't have ever talked so for that I am grateful."

Joe swallowed, "That's good, I guess."

"You should meet her. The woman that you used to get to me. She was humiliated over what she did, and you were the catalyst of that humiliation. You were angry for my manipulations, but you are just as guilty. Neither one of us is morally superior, so let's put an end to this stand off and become friends again." Riane sighed as the words had been slightly difficult to say.

Slowly, Joe's head nodded before the tears poured down her cheeks and she wrapped her arms around Riane's shoulders. "I thought I lost my best friend." She sobbed.

Hugging her friend, Riane patted her back. "No, I just needed time to process this. I didn't know who you were anymore. It felt like a stranger had taken over your body, and I didn't know what to think about you."

"A stranger kind of did." Joe stepped back but kept her hands on Riane's shoulders, she chuckled at her semi-joke for a moment. "I am really sorry."

"I know. I am too." Riane inhaled deeply, "Now that it is over. Let's unpack you, alright?" She waited for Joe to agree, but she looked hesitant.

"I already quit."

"With my dad?" Riane raised an eyebrow, "I find it hard to believe that he would be alright with letting you take your eyes off me."

She laughed, "I did call, and he refused. I was planning on returning any money he paid me after I left until he got the hint."

Riane rolled her eyes, "Let him think he got his way, and how about you come with us to Hawaii? That way we can hang out some place warm and have fun."

"I don't..."

"Did that sound like a request? I'll need my driver there, so you simply have to cancel any plans and come along." Riane smiled.

With a chuckle, Joe nodded her head. "Alright, but only as your guest. Dalen and I broke up, so don't leave me alone with him."

"I promise." Riane felt relieved. "I have so much to tell you. Like how I met Ivy, you'll have to meet Emma too. Oh, Julian's being super weird to me lately. I'll tell you while we unpack, alright?"

"Ok. Hey, I met Neil Cotton at school!" Joe told her as the two made their way towards the sliding doors. Riane wasn't wearing a jacket, but she figured they would hurry over to the guest house as quickly as possible.

"Peter Cottontail? I remember when he used to come over and he would chase you all around the house. He had a huge crush on you. It was the only time I felt left out with you around." She told her as they stepped out into the snowy backyard and made a dash for the guest house.

Joe was slow to follow because of her heavy coat, and when she arrived at the front door she found Riane inside rubbing her arms. "Freezing?"

She laughed, "I'll be borrowing a coat on my way home." Her teeth chattered as she talked and continued to rub her arms.

Joe shut the door behind her, "I don't have much to unpack. This place pretty much had everything, so it's mostly my knick knacks and clothing. My juicer and other small appliances."

"Good than it shouldn't take long. We have to get to the meeting." She grabbed a box and opened it to see what is inside.

"What meeting?"

"Everyone is getting together to plan the trip." She pulled out some small statues, unwrapped them from their newspaper, and began to put them around the room.

"Will Dalen be there?" Joe asked and watched her friend nod.

The front door opened before she could object, and Julian stormed in. "What the fuck, Riane? I was waiting for you in the hallway!"

She looked confused, "I didn't know that."

His eyes went between the two women before he turned his attention back to his fiancee. "Are you two all mended up?"

"We are. She is coming with us to Hawaii." She told him as she walked back to the box.

Joe felt nervous about telling him that information, though she couldn't figure out why. Part of her felt like he wouldn't want her to come along.

"I thought you were bringing Emma." Julian's brows came together as he watched Riane hurry about the room trying to put up the decorations. "What are you doing?"

"I can bring both, and I am helping Joe unpack."

There was a sting in Joe's heart to hear that another friend had already been invited, but she didn't want to ruin their freshly bonded friendship.

"Fine." Julian reached for a box, but Joe quickly grabbed it from him.

"Not this one. It has my delicates in it." She hugged the box tightly to her chest.

"Well, thanks for saving me from that nightmare." He spoke with venom though Joe hadn't had much time with him and didn't know if he was being cruel or if he was making a joke.

Riane chuckled, "Nightmare? Please, you'd love it."

"I'd love to see yours." He winked and Riane shook her head as if she was annoyed. Julian laughed at her reaction before grabbing another box. "Is this one a lingerie hell hole or am I good?"

Joe didn't know what the hell was going on between the two of them and felt slightly disturbed by Julian's flirtations. "Yeah, that one is fine."

-***-

Joe had sat in the backseat of Julian's car on the ride over to Dalen's house. She had wanted to drive her own car in case she wanted to leave before the evening ended, but Julian was insistent. It seemed that his strange, new kindness now extended to her.

Stepping out of the car, everyone let themselves into his house and found Seth, Emma, and Dalen in the living room. Riane had called to ask her if she needed a ride but she was already in the car with Seth. He had driven out of his way to pick her up, and immediately Riane knew what her friend was up to.

Dalen looked pleasantly surprised to see Joe arrive with them. He nearly jumped off the couch to greet her, but seemed to gather himself up enough to not look foolish.

The group sat around on the pink couches with the large coffee table filled with brochures and other pamphlets that held ideas and activities for their vacation. In the dead center of the table with a tea pot full of water that had cocoa packets, tea bags, and instant coffee in jars surrounding it.

"Joe will be joining us?" Seth asked when he could see his best friend nearly bursting at the seams.

Riane nodded as she sat down on the couch and Julian rushed to sit next to her which caused him to push Joe out of the way; even though there was no one sitting on either side of her.

Joe shook her head a the ridiculousness of it all and sat down to the left of her friend instead. "What is wrong with you?" She mumbled to Julian.

"He announced his love with Riane and is trying to make her fall in love with him." Dalen explained. "How is that going for you?" He turned his attention to Riane.

"Not happening." Riane replied and glared at him out of the corner of her eye. "Although having a personal servant at my beck and call has been fun."

Julian ignored the comment for the insult that it was and simply smiled. "It's working. She just doesn't know it yet."

Emma, who was sitting on the other couch with Seth and Dalen, giggled.

"I got to say, bud, you are starting to freak me out." Seth was both amused and horrified at the change to his friend.

"You and me both." Dalen added.

Julian shrugged his shoulders, before looking over at Riane. "Coffee, cocoa, tea?" He motioned towards the tea pot.

"Tea, please." Riane looked towards the guys with a knowing look.

Julian turned his attention to Joe, "And you?"

"I am fine for now. Thank you." Joe swallowed down the awkwardness of being in Dalen's home once again, though it was Dalen's presence that was the hardest.

He didn't seem that bothered to have seen her after breaking up with him that morning. She wondered if anyone, but Riane, knew that they had ended their relationship and that's why they were so comfortable.

"Riane, I'll pay for either Emma or Joe." Seth was more telling her than suggesting, and Riane had a pretty good idea of who he wanted to pay for.

"Oh, well, if you insist."

A slowly growing smile appeared on his lips, "Yeah, Emma will be my guest then."

"That would be awkward. I mean, thank you, but I don't really know you that well." Emma didn't know why she felt comfortable taking the vacation from Riane and not him, but there was something that felt wrong about it.

"You don't know either one that well." Joe was thinly hiding her disdain for the other woman though she didn't understand the jealousy behind it.

Emma swallowed, "No, I suppose you are right. Thank you, Seth."

He nodded with a smile as Julian set a cup in front of Riane before making himself some cocoa. He didn't seem interested in the conversation at hand.

"Joe, can be my guest." Dalen looked across the table at her.

"No, thank you." Joe replied harshly. "I don't think my ex should be buying me an extravagant trip to Hawaii."

"You two broke up?" Julian asked for the first time seeming to be interested in the topic they were discussing.

Dalen nodded his head, "Yes, so it would seem."

Joe realized her mistake as the awkwardness overtook the room. Riane had been trying her best not to mention it and had been trying to be emotionally supportive in these moments, but there was nothing she could do anymore.

"That sucks." Seth had already been told earlier that day, but he decided to play along with the moment. Somehow it felt wrong to act as if he already knew.

"I am sorry to hear that." Emma added to relieve her own uneasiness.

Joe snorted, "I doubt it."

Though the room heard her no one said anything in reply and Seth gave Emma a playful shrug and eye roll that eased her own annoyance towards the woman.

Dalen hadn't meant to cause this and decided to help change the subject. "Does anyone want to try surfing while we are there?"

"I want to go scuba diving." Riane could see what he was doing and hurried to play along. "I've never gone on vacation like this so I want to do as much as possible."

"Julian is afraid of the ocean." Seth told her. "So, it'll be a great way for you to get away from him for a while."

Julian frowned deeply, "I'll go scuba diving with you, Riane."

"Why would you go to Hawaii if you are afraid of the ocean?" She asked completely ignoring his offer.

"Everyone else wanted to go. The ocean is for the sea creatures anyway. We shouldn't be swimming in it and then get mad when a shark or jellyfish get us. That's why they invented pools." There was an annoyed passion in his voice that made the rest of the room begin to chuckle. "It's not funny. It's the truth. Oceans are not made for humans."

"Fine, fine." Riane waved her hand, "Let's change the subject before his head explodes."

Crossing his arms, Julian tossed himself against the couch and pouted. "It's true. That's why you have no logical response." He mumbled under his breath.

"We should find out about local restaurants to eat at, so we don't eat at tourist traps." Joe suggested. "I can look places like that up for us."

"Alright, that's a good idea." Dalen wrote it down on a piece of paper along with the scuba diving and surfing ideas.

"Maybe see a volcano?" Emma offered her suggested and Seth seemed eager to agree, so Dalen wrote it down.

Julian remained pouting while everyone offered suggestions. He didn't really care what they wanted to do; he was just going to follow Riane around and do what she wanted anyway.

Riane turned her attention towards him and smiled before returning to the conversation.

His body lost all tension, his frown erased from his lips, and he sat up to listen. He knew it was because of that simple smile she had given him. He knew that everyday he was letting her have more control over his feelings. He knew that he was giving her the chance to completely demolish his heart if she chose to. He just didn't care.

-***-

Riane entered into the house and her nose was meant with what she hoped would be dinner that evening. Julian followed in behind her and Joe had gone to finish unpacking in the guest house. All the plans had been made and everyone just needed to follow through with their assignments.

As Riane walked passed the living room she noticed Zack and Bryce watching television on the couch. Zack looked like he was close to falling asleep and Bryce would nudge him from time to time to get him to open his eyes.

Walking up the stairs, Riane headed for her bedroom and stopped when she realized that Julian was still following her. She turned to him with a frown and folded her arms.

"I would like to be alone now." She told him icily.

Julian returned her coldness with a smile, "After dinner do you want to watch a movie with me in my room? I have this old movie that I just got online and..."

"Julian, stop it. I don't know what you think your end game is here, but I promise you it won't be as you want." Riane sighed. "I thought when a girl rejected you that you played aloof like you did with Adonia. Why am I getting the kicked puppy routine?"

He shrugged, before smirking and chuckling to himself briefly. "You know what? I just don't get it."

The somewhat change in subject and the immediate change in his mood was confusing to Riane. "Get what?"

"You say you like Blake, but do you ever talk to him? You know he and Adonia broke up, but I don't see you making holiday plans with him. What I see is you avoiding him at all costs. What I see is you spending your time and days with me. So, let me ask you, Riane, who is the delusional one here?" He pointed to himself before he shook his head, he then slowly turned his finger towards her and nodded.

"I am not a tiger who leaps on the weakest prey. I am waiting for him to heal and to get over Adonia, before I move forward." She didn't like his insinuation, but worst of all it was embarrassing and she could feel herself fighting flushed cheeks.

Julian snorted, "Please! You could at least call him and act like a concerned friend. Show him the slightest crack in the wall in which he can slide back into your life. Me? You have given me entire doors to walk through."

Riane opened her mouth but closed it before she scoffed. "Are you saying that I have feelings for you and I am withholding them? For what reason? How would that benefit me in anyway?"

"I went through the same damn thing. Denying my feelings for you and laughing at the suggestion from others that I do feel something. You know what will happen when you finally realize it? The dam will burst down, and you know what I might have moved on by then. So, you be sure to give yourself a good once over before pushing me away again."

She stared at him with his mouth slightly ajar; trying to think of any response to him that would help her case in that moment.

Julian could feel the victory of this moment in his grasp, "Don't worry too much though." He said with a smile, "It will take quite a few more pushes before I don't get back up again."

Riane returned to her confused state with his emotional roller coaster ride as he turned around and headed towards his own bedroom.

He turned to face her, but walked backwards. "Have fun with yourself." He winked before turning back around and heading into his room.

"He's insane." She told herself under her breath. "Completely and utterly. Just bonkers."

Just as she turned to head back into her room, she felt her cellphone vibrate in her pocket. Pulling it out she saw Adonia's name and lifted an eyebrow; curious over what the woman could want from her.

"Hey, Adonia. What's up?" She tried to make her voice sound more friendly then she was actually feeling due to her previous conversation.

"Hey. Just feeling a little down and thought I would give you a call. My friends are in Europe, so I hope you don't mind." Adonia's own voice seemed controlled in order to sound sadder than she actually was, but Riane ignored it believing it to be her own projection.

"Sure, I have a few minutes before dinner time." She stepped into her room and shut the door behind her before plopping onto her bed.

"You know that Blake and I broke up?"

"Yes, he told me." She didn't know if she should have told her that, but she didn't want to lie to her.

Adonia sighed, "Yes, I thought as much."

"I was sorry to hear it." Riane didn't even know if she really meant it, but she knew it was the appropriate thing to say.

"Thanks." Adonia also didn't believe she really meant it. "I heard you are going on vacation?"

"Oh, yes to Hawaii."

"I love Hawaii, where?" She wanted to sound as interested as possible, though she feared her jealousy might shine through in her voice.

"Maui. We are renting a beach house. It is going to be a lot of fun." Riane was genuinely interested in telling her about the trip, as she had never gone on a vacation like this one before.

"Oh, Maui! I love Maui! What beach or house are you going to stay at?" She cleared her throat after asking.

"I don't know. Dalen handled those details. I just know it's a five bedroom, so Joe and I are going to share the master."

"Joe is going? Wow, you are a really good friend to take her with you." Part of her hoped that Riane would invite her and all these questions wouldn't be needed.

However, the hint for an invitation was completely missed. "We need some time to hang around each other outside of this dull winter."

"I can understand that." Her voice carried a faux concern. "So, Julian is going with you too? Won't he be jealous that you are hanging out with your friend instead of him?"

"His friends are coming too. There will be plenty of time since we are staying for two weeks. I am sure everyone will have plenty of time to hang out with each other. Why didn't you go to Europe with your friends?" Riane was starting to feel interrogated instead of having a polite conversation.

"Too cold. Also, I hate the long plane rides. Jet lag is terrible." She yawned. "Is Blake going with you?"

"No, I didn't even think to invite him. He is kind of a homebody." Riane chuckled.

Adonia mimicked her laugh, "Yeah, I suppose he is. I couldn't really get him to do anything outside of the city most of the time. Do you know he and I never slept together?"

That information came out of no where for Riane. "Um, no?"

"Nope. Not for my lack of trying. Sometimes I wondered if he had ever slept with any of his girlfriends." She sighed, "Maybe he was saving himself for something special."

"He told me he slept with them. Maybe you were something special and he didn't want to rush into it." Riane cringed at her own words though she knew there could be some truth to them.

Adonia tried to hide the resentment she felt. She didn't know if he was a virgin or not, and he had told her that he wasn't, but she was hoping to keep Riane's mind on Blake.

She didn't even know why she was interested in Julian at this point. Did she feel like Riane had stolen her boyfriend and now she wanted to do the same? Or did she have a genuine interest in him that she didn't have until after they had spent time together? Maybe she was afraid of being alone and Julian was a quick choice?

"Well, anyway, I should let you get ready for dinner or whatever. I'll talk to you later, alright?" Adonia spoke with a smile and when she heard Riane's goodbye, she hung up the phone.

-***-

The snow fell outside her bedroom window as she sat in front of her computer. The words for her essay wouldn't come as she thought about what Julian had said to her in the hallway, and wondered what prompted Adonia's phone call.

During dinner, Julian hadn't spoken to her nor did he speak to anyone else. Everyone chatted about the days events and noticed his constant silence. Even Zack offered Riane a few rare words and a small amount of respect. It seemed as if he was getting used to her being here.

This place felt more and more like home as the weeks went on. She could feel that she belonged amongst this family, but knew that it wouldn't last forever. The more Julian pushed her to have feelings for him other than friendship the more she thought about Blake's offer.

Her head turned towards the door when she heard a knock, and she smiled briefly before frowning as she recognized the knock. "Come in!"

Julian's head popped in and smiled. "So, still no on that old movie? Otherwise, I am going to watch it by myself."

She pressed her lips together as she wanted to hang out with him, but didn't know if she should after their conversation.

"Buttery popcorn and scary old black and white monsters! I'll even let you pick the popcorn seasoning." He said trying to sweeten the deal with laughter in his voice.

"No, thanks." She turned her attention back to the blank computer screen and frustration set in as she realized once more that she had no words, even with all the textbooks that surrounded her. All this information simply wasn't enough. Her mind wouldn't focus.

He nodded though she couldn't see and slowly closed the door before flinging it open and tossing himself on her bed. Laying on his back, he put his hands behind his head and crossed his ankles. "What are you doing?"

"I am trying to write an essay for English class." She sighed knowing that he wouldn't leave until she had a conversation with him.

"Doesn't look like you are getting much done." He jested as he stared up at the white ceiling that Riane had stuck a couple of glow in the dark stars on.

She swiveled her chair around and placed her elbows on her knees before folding her hands together. "That's because I have a lot on my mind."

The way her voice sounded made his heart race as a bit of panic set in. "Oh, yeah, about what?" He sat up on the bed and put his feet on the ground.

"I am thinking that maybe this isn't working out for me. Everything that is going on with you is not how we planned it. I have a real chance with Blake now." Just suggesting she might move away from this home, this family, pained her heart.

Julian felt much the same as his mind racked up as many reasons as he could to get her to stay. "You can't just leave. My family wants you here. Besides if you leave they'll blame me. You promised to help me keep my inheritance, remember? In exchange you get to be away from your overbearing father."

"That is what I am talking about. You are no longer in this for the inheritance. You think you have romantic feelings for me, and I know you don't, Julian. I am just the first girl that you've had a long term friendship with and you are confusing those feelings." She hated the idea of telling someone they didn't know their own feelings, but she wanted him to agree. If he just said that it was true then she wouldn't feel bad about staying. She would no longer be leading him to believe there was a future between them.

Julian shook his head, "No, no way. I know exactly how I feel, Riane. I am not some puss that goes around not feeling what he knows he has inside. When I wake up in the morning I turn off that alarm and then my mind reminds me that I get to see you in just a few short moments. So, I rush through my morning routine in order to find you."

"Julian..."

"At school, I wait for you outside your classrooms and when I see you step outside every time my heart races. My stomach fills with butterflies because I can't believe that you are going to spend the next few minutes with me." His voice was filled with passion that hurt Riane's heart.

"Julian, I am not saying..."

"When I go to bed, I can't wait to get the night over with because I know you'll be in my tomorrow and I can't wait for that day to come. The next eight hours are just me waiting to be able to see you again." He stood up from the bed and pointed at himself. "My whole day I can't wait for you to give me just one fucking smile, because no matter how bad things are that one smile erases every evil. So, don't tell me that this is confusion. Don't presume to know how I feel inside."

Riane swallowed as she didn't know how to feel about what he just said. Part of her was flattered and thought that was the most romantic thing she had ever heard about herself, but the second half of her felt pity. There was a sadness for this friend in front of her, because she couldn't be what he wanted from her.

"Do you know what happens when you see me every morning or in between classes or when we say goodnight, Riane?" He continued.

She shook her head.

"You smile. 'Good morning, Julian!' or 'Hey, Julian!' or 'Goodnight, Julian!' That is my whole day. So, don't pretend that you don't enjoy seeing me. I know you roll your eyes for everyone else and act annoyed by me, but I know that when it is just the two of us you are completely content with the status quo." His lips held a deep frown and Riane thought he might cry or start yelling, she wasn't certain which emotion he was holding back.

Riane took a deep breath and stood from her chair. "It's obvious that you are very passionate about what you feel towards me, and I am sorry for telling you how you feel. It is also obvious that you no longer have feelings for Adonia or maybe you have giving up because it was too difficult. I don't know what you are thinking."

He opened his mouth to speak but shut it when Riane told him to wait.

"Maybe I should move in with Blake that way we will have space to be friends again someday, and at least one of us will get what we want." She couldn't believe how much she was having to hold back from shaking. The more she fought it the more she felt like she was doing it even more.

"Is Blake what you really want?" His passion was gone and the voice of defeat seemed to be speaking now.

Riane's heart dropped when she thought that she was breaking his own, but she spoke the word clearly and confidently. "Yes."

She didn't know what he would do next as he stood there staring into her eyes. She hoped he wouldn't try to kiss her as that would only damage them more.

Stepping forward Julian put his arms around her shoulders and pulled her in for a hug. Her face laid on his shoulder and she felt warm in his arms. She lifted her own arms up and hugged his waist as Julian laid his face against the back of her head.

She could feel it beating within his chest; the heart that she was breaking. In his arms, she could also feel her own heart as it beat quickly the longer the hug went on.

One of his hands went to her hair and he kissed the top of her head. Riane knew this hug was far too long for friends and she realized that she didn't want it to end, but awkwardness started to set in. After everything she had said she didn't want to give him the wrong impression.

"Please." He mumbled at first and it sounded like there might be tears in his eyes. He cleared his throat, "Please, don't leave."

Riane knew that her own heart was breaking in this moment and she wanted so desperately to tell him that this was for the best, but her heart couldn't take the heartbreak anymore and she knew she could never truly leave, at least not yet. She nodded her head, "Alright."

Julian hugged her tightly. She knew he didn't want her to see the tears in his eyes, so she allowed him to hold her for as long as it took for them to dry.

Next Chapter: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=472

Leave comments for this chapter at: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=458