Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 37: Being Nobodies

As I sit in my bed tonight at this late hour, I think over today's activities. I had not wanted to go to The Enchantress with my friends, but as the Prince's personal guard I was forced as it does not reside in an area that is known for safety.

In fact, the poverty that I witnessed whenever I visit the east side of the hamlet is far worse than my home town. Pymus and Lucius had never been and dressed themselves as commoners using materials that Pymus had me purchase weeks before in the same part of town. They basically dressed in rags even though the clothing was brand new.

Lucius did not want to be recognized and Pymus simply enjoyed seeing a life he would never have to live. I found them both to be highly insulting as they asked question after question about the station in life that people allowed themselves to linger in. They had no idea that they were the ones keeping them in these places. I was one of the rare few that had managed to pull myself up, but tonight I was not proud of my friends. However, their ignorance is forgivable.

I make the evening sound so bleak, but there was so many bright moments. Upon entering The Enchantress, I was recognized as I have come a few times in the past while the break was ongoing. Lucius and Pymus introduced themselves as my friends, and gave themselves names and jobs that I no longer recall.

It was interesting to see my friends drink with commoners and hear their stories, even if Pymus would follow up with a false story of his own. However, it was normally one to lighten the mood especially after one man told of how his daughter had fallen ill and it appeared she would die as he could do nothing for her. When Pymus promised the man that he had a friend that could assist and he would inform him immediately for the first time in my friendship with him, I was proud. I knew he would care for the man's child himself.

Lucius, on the other hand, busied himself with the many female patrons. It proved a difficult task for him as he realized that once the crown was gone all his charm diminished.

"Having a difficult time?" Pymus had asked him softly when the three of us were alone at the table.

"It seems the ladies of the East are less inclined to enjoy a man's company." Lucius leaned back.

I had chuckled. "The ladies here worry about pregnancy and whether you would be able to care for the child. They do not have the luxury of knowing that every man they meet is eligible and wealthy."

"Then it is unfortunate that you came tonight as a beggar and not a Prince. It would appear you would have the lot of them." Pymus jested and waved at one woman in the crowd, but she turned her back to him.

"Every woman I have ever approached knows exactly who I am, but here in these clothes I am an empty face." Lucius grinned. "One would think I would loathe such treatment, but it is rather nice being no one."

"Indeed." Pymus raised his glass, "To being nobodies."

I watched the two of them clink their glasses together as I was not drinking. I was on duty to ensure the two would not get into any trouble.

As we walked back to the university, Pymus and Lucius discussed what they had seen that night. It was all joke about the smells of the people and their dirty clothing, or about how small and dank their homes were and how they should make them larger. It annoyed me that they didn't see the impossibility in that, but as I sit in my room now I wonder if their jests weren't just attempts to hide the devastating truth they had just learned.

I am a nobody and my two best friends are people of immense power. We will be graduating soon enough. What happens to a nobody like me when his friends return to their real lives after university. Am I to be forgotten?

I can not believe that this is what will occur as I truly believe they are my friends, but I have seen it before. Commoners linking themselves to someone as protection. They befriend them and do everything the higher ranking individual wants, and then when the time comes the commoner is left and forgotten.

I did not think it would come upon me so soon; the end of my time at this school. I do not wish to leave yet, even if that means Ane and I shall finally marry. I desire just one more year with my friends, but I suppose if I received that wish I would simply ask for another year.

---***---

Lesatan did not appear pleased to see Remus when he entered into his study on the final break day before classes would begin again. Of course, the loss of the tournament was still fresh on his mind, but Remus knew he would have to remind the Prince that he did not partake in those events and therefore was not at fault. That was as long as the Prince did not know that Remus had been the one to save Lenore.

"What is it?" Lesatan asked with annoyance in his voice as Remus took a seat in front of his desk.

Remus knew that the Prince was in no mood for false pleasantries and decided that he would immediately explain his business there.

"I have grand plans to provide larger quantities of goods to the people of the hamlet and this school. Unfortunately, these plans include securing the roads far beyond Apisarn." He folded his hands and leaned back in his chair. There was a distinct lack of formality as he spoke, but he knew that he needed to be seen as an equal in these moments. He was coming to the Prince as a man who could break him as King in the future, and should never been toyed with.

Lesatan, who was writing in a scroll, sighed deeply and glared up at the other man sitting across from him. "Is there a reason why you have informed me of this?"

"Indeed, you see, Apisarn itself has to be the one responsible for ensuring such a large operation continues. Which means the money behind such an endeavor must come from the school, and be monitored by that same entity." Remus could see that Lesatan was not amused by this offer, but he knew how to sweeten the deal. "By securing the roads, you will not only provide safe passage for caravans, but prove that you have the power to control this entire area and not just the school."

Lesatan pressed his lips together as he placed his pen back into the ink well. He was slightly interested in the idea, but Remus knew that he needed just one more push to send him over the edge.

"Both of our fathers attempted this when they attended here, but it was a failure." He would lie slightly and include the King in this, but he knew it would capture the Prince.

The Prince's eyes light up, "My father failed at this endeavor?" He watched Remus nod, and for a brief moment looked to be interested but his joy turned sour quickly. "If my father was unable to accomplish this then how would we fair any better?"

"Because our fathers tried to use the university guards which as you know are students here, and therefore could not cover the long ranges needed. We will not be so daft, and instead we shall use the civilians of the hamlet. We shall train them with our guards, build guard stations, and leave them with work. Thus assisting the hamlet itself, which of course only brings admiration toward your person, milord." Remus tried desperately not to smirk, but he knew it was time to appeal to the boy as an underling as his pride needed it.

Lesatan thought for a moment, "Why would you allow me to take all the credit?"

"I do not require the credit, my Prince. I only require the roads to be safe for the caravans, all else is unimportant to me. Besides that, you will need to be the one to convince the council and find the money in Apisarn's budget not I. My task is small compared to your own." Sometimes the Prince was hard to read, but so was his sister and he couldn't tell what his thoughts were leading to in those moments.

"This would mean a large amount of money would have to be re-purposed. Apisarn does not have such funds." The Prince dismissed the idea with a flick of his hand.

"Milord, I am certain that there is overspending somewhere in the books. A frugal king keeps the coffers full and not does act lavishly without need." Remus leaned forward and placed his hands on the desk. "Surely, it would not harm you to see if perhaps there is something that does not need such large expenses. After all, you would be the greatest power that Apisarn has ever known when this is completed."

Lesatan licked his bottom lip at the thought of upstaging his father. "Very well, I shall look into this, but I promise you nothing."

Remus stood and gave a bow. "Thank you, your grace. I am truly humbled by your generosity in this matter."

"Yes, I am certain." Lesatan spoke bitterly, "Now, leave. I have work that must be completed before the morning."

---***---

Lenore forced herself out of bed. Her pillow stuck to her cheek from the slobber that had run down from her mouth. The group had gone deep into the cups last night to celebrate and Lenore remembered very little from the evening. She wasn't certain how she had managed to get to bed, but since she was still dressed and on top of her covers, she assumed one of the boys had deposited her on her bed at some point.

Turning over, she found Ophelia fast asleep with her arm hanging over the side and her cheek smashed against the edge of the bed. She was dressed and above her covers as well, so it seems they both had a late night and had fallen asleep where they should not have. More than likely, it was someone else's bed.

Getting up, Lenore took Ophelia's dangling arm and pulled it up and over until Ophelia turned over and looked more comfortable in her position. Lenore rubbed her eyes and yawned as she headed down to the stream to wash her face. She had only a minor headache, but her mouth was dry as ash and her eye lids felt heavy.

Kneeling down at the edge of the stream, she began to splash water on her face and realized she had forgotten her towel. Her curses toward herself where short lived when she heard splashing from down the stream. Using her shirt, she wiped her face dry, at least as dry as the shirt would allow and followed the noises down.

Not too far from the dorm, she found the source of the noises; a fully nude Santh bathing in the stream. He did not see her approach as his back was to her. His hair stopped just below his shoulders and when wet did not seem so unkempt. The only time he did anything to make it have a decent appearance was when he had to pull it back for classes.

The water only came to his hips as he scrubbed his arms with his wash cloth. Lenore grinned when she spotted his towel and clothing, and walked over to them to lean against the tree.

"Bathing this early makes it easier to be caught by others." She said out loud as she crossed her arms.

Santh's shoulders jumped slightly, but he didn't show too much surprise. He turned around to face her with a deep frown on his lips.

"You should bath under the cover of darkness, because even if someone does stumble upon you they won't be able to see much. The odds of anyone finding you are slim enough as there is far less traffic in this area at night." She continued to grin. "Also, in the wee hours of the morning, isn't the water freezing?"

"I smelled of vomit and alcohol. I could not wait out the day for darkness to bathe myself." He informed her.

"You threw up?"

He slowly shook his head. "No, now leave me."

Lenore mimicked his head shake but added a grin at the end.

Santh knew that he could not exist the stream without offering Lenore a full view of himself, and he wondered if that was her game.

"Lenore!" Ophelia's voice could be heard throughout the woods.

"Over here!" Lenore cried out to her.

"What are you... Do not call her over here!" Santh barked and lowered himself into the water to where only his head could be seen.

Ophelia appeared next to her but Lenore did not make eye contact with her, and instead continued to stare at Santh. "Lenore, why are you so far out here?" She didn't wait for an answer and simply continued to speak. "I vomited all over my bed, help me..." Her eyes followed Lenore's and she found the head in the stream, "Santh?" A loud squeak came from her lips as she covered her eyes, and immediately turned around to run back to the dorm.

He stood back up as he watched her disappear. "You will pay for that."

The Princess continued to grin. "It amuses me that you nearly drowned yourself to hide from her, but are comfortable enough to stand in front of me."

"She is innocent."

"It is not as if you do not lurk the dorms shirtless every day." Lenore chuckled.

"Are you going to leave? As you said this water is cold."

She cocked her head to the side and grinned.

"Fine." Santh steadied himself and marched out of the water directly towards her. When he reached his towel, he wrapped it around his waist. "Satisfied?" He asked.

Lenore offered him his shirt, "My, it was cold, wasn't it?"

---***---

Harona searched the library and grinned from ear to ear when she found her quarry. Sitting down across from Anton, she smiled when he looked up at her and gave a gentle wave to him. She then proceeded to put her study table together as quietly as she could, as she didn't wish to annoy him this time.

Sitting across from her, Anton did not know what to make of the attention that this girl was giving him, but he remembered his father words that she was outside the Commoners' Guild and therefore was unimportant to him.

With a deep breath, Anton began to put together all of his items. He stood from the table and checked the area thoroughly to ensure that he would not leave anything behind. He did not want her chasing him all over again.

Harona watched him with shock on her face and her mouth slightly ajar. "Are you leaving?" She asked with disappointment in her voice. "I was trying to be very quiet."

Anton didn't reply to her as he turned around and charged out of the library. The area outside the library was always busy except during the night, so he knew if he didn't wish to be bothered he would need to rush through the crowd. However that would not be occurring today, because as he began the journey, his arm was grabbed and he turned to find Harona. She had none of her materials with her and he assumed she left them at the table inside the library.

"Have I done something to cause you offense, Anton Pugh?" Her voice told of her sincerity and her eyes continued to hold her disappointment.

He seemed uncertain whether or not he wanted to answer her.

When it seemed like he was going to turn around and leave again, Harona spoke in an attempt to keep him there a moment longer. "I have tried to be friendly and considerate. I know how much I spoke at the library last time bothered you, is that correct? So, I was being incredibly careful..."

Anton raised a hand to stop her. "You haven't done anything to offend me." He couldn't remember her name and decided it was not important enough to ask her to tell him once more. "I do not associate with anyone outside the Commoners' Guild. Anyone outside my guild has ulterior motives and I do not subject myself to them."

"You live in a dorm with a roommate from every house, and I have seen you speak with them as friends." She countered.

He shook his head, "They are a necessary evil, and with them I must set aside my beliefs until my studies are completed."

Harona chuckled which was unexpected. "I have always been told that commoners were dirty and greedy people. They constantly look for anyone outside their guild to pull them from the muck they were born in, and you must keep your distance from them."

Anton looked offended by her words.

"If I must fit your mold, then you must fit mine." She told him firmly, but then chuckled once more. "This is the first time a commoner has attempted to turn me away as if he was a member of the superior party. I have been turned away by Royals many times in a very similar manner though."

His face softened, "Perhaps it is simply best to keep the lines clear and listen to what our parents say. After all, they have walked this path far longer than you or I."

Harona shook her head as the hoards of classmates passed by them. "I refuse to believe that what party a person is born to equates to their personality. I have met the cruelest of Royals and the most kind of Commoners. Also, my eyes fell upon you during the first tournament, and it took a great deal of courage to approach you the last time, and even more after your harsh treatment the second time. I will not be dissuaded so easily, Anton Pugh."

Anton raised an eyebrow as she turned around and hurried back into the library. Shaking his head, he slowly turned around and began the long journey back to his dorm. His mind was on the women whose name he had forgotten.

---***---

Pymus had not left Apisarn yet, as he was making the hardest decision of his life in those moments. He had not wanted to tell Remus that he was his heir, but he had seen how close Ophelia and his son were growing. The longer he waited to tell him, the more it would cause issues when the time finally came.

Remus might not wish to become the heir if he fell for her any deeper, or it might cause conflict in other matters. His other son, Crolus, would destroy the guild from within. As much as he loved his older son, he knew he belonged with a sword in his hand and not a pen.

Walking down the path to the Unmentionables' dorm, he still had not made a decision as to what he would tell his son. Perhaps, just a simple warning that things would not work out without telling him too much.

As he rounded the corner, he could see his son and Ophelia alone. They were embracing each other tightly and when she stepped back, he kissed her lips gently.

"I need to speak with you in private." Pymus said loud enough to startle them both.

Remus gave a nod to his father, "Head to the stand, I'll be there shortly." He told her and leaned forward to whisper in her ear.

Ophelia smiled and blushed at his words before hurrying passed Pymus.

His father was no fool though, and could see his lips clearly enough. His son had told the girl that he loved her. That was too far and he knew there was nothing more to do, but tell his son the truth.

"She just witnessed Santh's nude in the stream." He chuckled. "I wonder why all my lady friends always end up seeing Santh without clothes before me." He walked over to stand in front of Pymus, and put his hands on his hips with a smile.

Pymus didn't laugh and stood quietly.

When Remus realized this might be a serious conversation, he added. "We are alone here, father."

Sucking on his bottom lip briefly, Pymus tried to consider his words carefully. "You have grown close to her."

His father taking an interest in his love life was not something he expected, but Remus gave a nod and a grin. "I suppose so."

"She still plans to take back her family home and position?"

Again, Remus nodded. He was unsure where his father was going with this line of questioning.

Pymus took a deep breath and prepared himself for what his next words would do to his son. "Remus, I have named you my heir."

The feminine looking boy swallowed hard and stared at his father. Pymus did not need to explain further what his father meant by those words. "It is not fair to have led me to believe I was free to choose only to inform me that I have been confined all along."

"The cage was always there, you simply chose not to see it." Pymus countered.

Remus opened his mouth the speak, but no words escaped his mouth. He looked as if he might be near tears, but he was strong enough not to do so, especially not in front of his father.

Pymus' heart broke for his son as he could see the confusion of emotions crossing his face within seconds. "I should have informed you earlier. The Princess informed me that I was walking a fool's path, but I did not listen to her advice."

Remus' jaw stiffened when he realized that Lenore was aware of this and watched Ophelia and him grow closer. "How long has she known?"

"She is not a priority in this matter. I apologize, this was not how I imagined you learning that you were the heir. I always pictured a grand ball to accompany the announcement." Pymus watched his son sit in silence as he stared at the ground, so he began to speak again. "As long as Ophelia wants the Romanus throne and as long as you wish to take the guild chair from me, you two can not be together."

"I am already aware of this." Remus looked up into his father's eyes. "Excuse me." He hurried down toward the stream and left his father behind standing alone in the dirt court.

"I could start rumors that you are a peeping tom." Santh teasingly warned as he walked up stream toward the dorms with Lenore. He was carrying his towel over his clothed shoulder.

Lenore giggled. "I highly doubt people would believe you, and even if they did, what then? Surely, someone who has aspirations would try to seduce me using that knowledge."

"In what manner?" He asked with a smirk on his lips.

"Allowing me to spy on him to win my heart, of course. Then he might have a greater body than your own and I might have no choice but to fall madly in love with him." She put her hand over her heart and the back of her other hand over her forehead.

Santh couldn't help but smile at her actions.

She began to fan her face as she spoke. "I will become sick with the vapors when I first see him, and he will come to my rescue once I have fainted. Upon waking, I shall look upon his face and at first think it is you, but then I will realize that it is a far greater version. It will be done for my heart in those moments, and I will know he will be my husband someday."

Santh chuckled and shook his head. "You have been reading trash in the library."

"Oh, and how are you aware that it is there?"

He bumped her gently with his shoulder and they continued to walk together. He had a large smile on his lips until he realized something she had said. His smile began to fade and he stopped in his tracks. "Who?"

"Uh?" Lenore stopped walking and turned to him.

"Who here is more handsome and made with a better built than me?" He pointed around at the trees as though they were other students.

The Princess looked amused by his question though he seemed partially serious. "I do not know, I have not met him bathing in the stream as of yet. You haven't begun the rumor."

"Girls fall to my feet daily. Other then the Prince, who gets this type of response?" He snapped and looked rather proud of himself.

The amusement continued on Lenore's lips. "It seems that Santh has vanity after all, not mention his full awareness of the girls that throw themselves at him. Here I thought that you ignored them completely."

Suddenly with her answers, Santh realized that this had all been a game for them. Some light teasing and flirting, and he had not only participated in it, but had shown jealousy about some imaginary man.

Standing silently for a moment, he stared at Lenore before taking a deep breath. "This always occurs when I allow my guard to fall around you for even a moment. You step all over me as your kind is prone to do."

Lenore cocked her head, "I fail to see how I have stepped on you, Santh." She reached out her hand to touch his forearm. "Let's go back to the dorms."

Yanking his arm away, before she could touch it, he frowned deeply. "Enough!" He barked. "If you do not stop these attempts at making me a play thing, then I will return to the Mondue Dorms. You will lose your Unarmed Master and this dorm will no longer be able to participate in the tournaments."

She looked surprised by his outburst. "I do not understand what I have done. Whatever it is, I meant no offense."

He pushed passed her when he could see the sincerity in her eyes, but he was too humiliated to say anything in returned. He just wanted to escape her presence for now.

Lenore stood by the stream stunned as she wasn't certain what had happened. Santh was finally becoming his true self around her, and then suddenly he wasn't. The confusion ate at her curiosity, but she decided to leave him alone for the time being.

After a moment, she grinned and shook her head, before making her way back to the dorms. She could tell that Santh was heading out of the school grounds, no doubt to drink away whatever had caused this between them. She had enough of drinking, and thought perhaps she would get to work on her father's plans.

---***---

As Lenore's canopy came into sight, so did Remus. He marched toward her with fury in his eyes. Stopping half way to the canopy from the stream, she waited for him to approach her. Obviously, there was something very wrong with the men in her life today.

"I do not have words to describe my anger with you!" Remus snapped as he stopped in front of her and held out his index finger at her.
Lenore raised an eyebrow.

"You've known for how long? How long, Lenore?" He demanded an answer, but she wasn't certain what the question pertained to. When he realized he hadn't explained himself, he added. "You knew I would become my father's heir, but you allowed me to further a relationship with Ophelia."

"Ah." That was the only answer that Lenore could make as she stood in both annoyance and near amusement that Remus was daring to speak to her in this way.

"How long?" He barked again.

She decided to play along. Her eyes turned up as she thought, "Hmm. Perhaps, around the first tournament of the year."

Remus' face turned white and he swallowed the lump in his throat. "You've known for the entire year?"

She nodded her head briefly with her lips pressed together as she crossed her arms.

He stood quietly for a moment as he stared at the ground beneath him, before turning his eyes back up to her. "Why?"

Lenore shrugged her shoulders. "Your father asked me to keep this secret."

"You kept secrets from your friend, because his father asked it of you?" Remus' anger was beginning to return to his voice.

"It was not my place to inform you, so even if he had not asked I wouldn't have said a word." She continued to stare directly into his eyes as she prepared to be defiant.

Remus' mouth began to form several words, but he stopped himself short each time. "There are so many harsh words that I wish I could call you, but your position prevents me from doing so. If you were a man, I would hit you."

"Man or not, if you were to hit me, I could easily out maneuver and overpower you. Your wrists are like twigs." She knew that this comment would incur his wraith, but she refused to be threatened.

Instead of being angry, he nodded his head. "I suppose so. Could you not have given me a warning? Just some odd words here and there that would make me believe you knew something."

"If my father commanded you to keep something from me, would you?" She didn't need his answer as it was written clearly on his face. "I will never come between a father and his son. I will not say I didn't hold some regret for not informing you, but I had convinced myself that it was better that you and Ophelia have each other for a time than never at all."

Remus turned his back to her and made his way over to the canopy where he sat down on the platform with his legs dangling down. Lenore followed him and sat beside him.

"What am I to do?" He finally asked after a moment.

"She must be informed now that you are aware of your circumstances. This can not be a secret that you hide from her, despite it being hidden from you." The Princess sighed before standing up and looking down at him.

"I suppose you are right." He looked toward the ground.

"If you ever approach me and speak to me in that manner again, I will become a dark cloud over the rest of your life."

Remus turned his eyes up to her, "I understand." He said as Lenore stomped away.

---***---

Fully clothed, Lesatan laid next to Piera in her bed. They held hands between them as they laid on their backs and looked up at the canopy above them.

"It sounds like a difficult but wonderful venture, Lesatan. Being able to accomplish something that your father could not would indeed create you as one of the greatest rulers of Apisarn." She turned her head to look at him, but he continued to look up.

He sighed loudly, "I can create guards from the hamlet population thus effectively add more money to their economy, while not having to relocate Apisarn guards. However, this is not a free endeavor. I must find this money within the budget to create the guards and their stations."

"Surely, there is something that is over expenditure that could be cut down. This school often spends more than it should on basic supplies." Piera was more thinking out loud than giving her husband advice.

"I have looked over the budget all day to the point that all I see is numbers when I look anywhere else." He took a deep, desperate breath. "There is no room to work, every coin is in use."

They laid in silence for several moments as they both thought over this issue. Piera had not seen the school's budget and therefore could not offer much to the conversation. However, she had been witness to much of the school's overspending.

Smiling, she sat up and looked down at Lesatan who finally looked at her. "The balls after the tournament. That is an extravagance whose budget could easily be cut in half. Do you not think that would allow us to pay for most if not all of the guards and their stations?"

He pressed his lips together as if he was not so certain.

"They are overly lavish events that really do not need all that they have, and over half of the prepared food goes uneaten and sent home with the servants. Food shipped from all over the country that are a luxury. That money would be better served going into the pockets of those servants' husbands." Piera watched him think it over. She desperately wanted him to take her council once more, even if her plans with Lenore had failed.

"I highly doubt that the other Royals would appreciate having that particular budget cut." Lesatan continued to lay on the bed, but did scratch his neck briefly.

Piera snorted, "If they do simply remind them that they now have access to better luxury goods, and if they still object inform them that this was your decision and they will abide by the Prince's command."

Lesatan grinned, "I must first have the council vote on this matter. I do not have full control as if I were the king."

She shrugged, "I am certain that if you inform them that they can have a slightly less lavish ball in return they would get items within the hamlet that they could normally only get from home. Not to mention with those roads watched, we will be able to receive our mail more often and the king will not have to waste royal guards to send along with the carriers."

He stared at her for a moment before grabbing her arm and pulling her back down onto the bed. "You are a very smart girl, Piera Nicoletti."

She grinned as she laid her head against his chest.

"I believe Remus wants this done before the school year ends, therefore I must set everything aside when it comes to council business to pass this edict. It will elevate me to my father's level when he comes to this school, however I must act quickly to ensure loyalty of the council members before hand." He frowned. "I must never see a betrayal again as I did the last time."

She nodded her head against his chest. "I may know individuals that could inform us on some of the council's private affairs, if they refuse to see reason then blackmail may be our best option."

"Very well, you talk to your contacts and I will prepare everything else." He gave her a hug and stood up from the bed to leave the room.

"Right now?" Piera sat up.

"We have very little time to prepare all this." He snapped before exiting the room entirely.

---***---

Authin walked through the woods near the dorms, but knew to go far enough so he wouldn't be discovered. Leaning against a tree, he waited for his contact to show. He had received word that he needed to speak to him immediately, and they had set a time and place. Though he usually met Armand behind the library, the adviser believed that place was no longer safe for their secret rendezvous.

The sun was setting and the darkness was beginning to surround the university as well as the soon to be very dark woods. Authin looked down at his hands and began to pick some dirt out from under his nails, as he yawned in boredom. He already knew what this conversation would entail but it was something that he needed to discuss.

"You won yourself no favors with the Prince by defeating the Royals." Armand said as he approached him and came to stand in front of him with his arms folded.

Authin snorted, "I no longer wish to receive the Prince's good graces."

The adviser's lips pressed together. "Do you realize what life after Apisarn will be like for you then? A Royal that the new King does not accept. You will be powerless and friendless. The Prince's good graces will be the only thing that saves you. I suggest rethinking this way of thought."

Looking up from his nails, Authin met Armand's eyes and he smirked. "It is a waste of time, he will never allow it. For a man that plots against his sister so often, it is hard to believe that there is any line too far. Yet, I managed to find it."

"You must try." Armand reached out his hand and placed it on the other man's shoulder. "I will not allow you to live as an outcast."

"You misunderstand, Armand." He shrugged his hand off his shoulder, which caused Armand to look hurt. "I am no longer interested in pleasing his grace, because that is an impossible task. However, I can gain faith with the Princess. She shows signs of forgiveness, which is why I won the tournament for them." He continued to lean against the tree with a grin.

"The Princess will not take kindly to being used."

"Using the Princess? Hardly. I thought of losing in hopes of making a large show for the Prince, but I then thought of my dorm mates and I realized that I have come to care for them and could not let them down. It was after the tournament that I came to the conclusion of asking the Princess to fight this battle for me, but first she must learn to trust me." He stood up straight. "You and I have no power over the Prince and his decisions, but Lenore has shown multiple times that her brother can not ignore her requests. She is the only way that I can re-enter the Royal Party without scars."

Armand swallowed and looked to the ground briefly, before looking back up at his friend. "It is doubtful that if Lenore learned of this that she would see it as a friendly gesture on your part."

"Then she must never know. You and I are the only ones that know, so as long as your mouth remains closed so does mine." His smirk was starting to become unsettling.

"That sounded more like a threat then an agreement to keep a secret, Authin." Armand snarled.

He cocked his head to the side, "I am afraid that you might over think this plan of mine, and worry of a betrayal on my behalf when it comes to her. I have no intention of doing such a horrible thing, but I must warn you that we both share secrets. If mine is revealed so will yours be."

Armand couldn't believe what he was hearing and slowly shook his head. "My secret involves you and would destroy you as well."

Authin shrugged, "If you tell of my plans then I will be destroyed already. I will simply take you with me and we will enjoy the company of the other as hermits for the rest of the world."

The look on Armand's face told of his displeasure. "I never thought you would fall this far. I never even made an attempt to tell Lenore or even suggested that I would, and you are already threatening me?"

"I have learned to be ahead of all betrayal before it arrives on my doorstep." With that Authin turned and walked back toward the dorms.

---***---

After his conversation with Lenore, Remus had gone to find Ophelia at their stand. He had wanted to blurt out the truth to her the moment he had seen her, but the words hurt his heart too much. He needed to wait until he could have one more moment with her. He promised himself that would be all he would need, and then he could walk away cleanly and smoothly.

Outside the city, they laid on a blanket on a large dirt hill. The stars were beginning to form in the sky, and the left overs of their meal laid in between them. No grass grew in the area as it had started to die once the summer began.

Ophelia looked up into the sky, but Remus' eyes concentrated more on her. He smiled when she smiled as she talked about all the animals and people she could make by connecting the stars together. Her hands were behind her head acting as a pillow, but occasionally she would pull a hand out to point at one star or another.

"I love you." Remus said out loud. She didn't notice the bitterness and sadness in his voice when he spoke those words as he normally only whispered them, so it was somewhat shocking to her to hear in such a clear voice.

Ophelia smiled and turned her head to look at him. "I love you as well." Turning over onto her stomach, she smiled down on him as he continued to lay on his back. "This year was a dream to me, Remus. Last year, I was beaten and tortured... humiliated, almost daily. I can not even comprehend how I managed to go from such dire circumstances to laying here with you and having so many friends."

"I would suggest that our Princess was rather the catalyst of that journey, but I feel that it takes away of all the accomplishments that I worked so hard in with the hope of winning you." He teased, but still there was some bitterness in his voice.

She chuckled. "When I started this year, I told myself that I would fail my family. It was difficult enough to be here when I was meant to be, I couldn't imagine walking these halls as an outsider."

Remus' heart dropped. "Is it truly that important that you receive your family's keep? Couldn't there be a life that doesn't involve you having to prove that you are not your father's daughter?"

"I am my father's daughter, Remus. I will always have to prove that I am not a traitor, and I will never be able to prove it to the world. However, I can make my own way and hope that others will eventually judge me on my deeds and not his. I need what belongs to my family in order to accomplish these goals." She twiddled with her fingers.

He nodded his head, "It will be a long journey."

"I have you and many friends who are willing to catch me when I fall. I may not always have a clear path, but I trust that I will find my way." She smiled. "When I do, there will be a seat for you as well. If you wish to take it then."

He grinned and reached up his hand to touch her cheek. "You see that far into the future, do you?"

She shrugged, "It is good to make plans, as it gives you something to achieve in the future. Then one day you have achieved those goals, and the exciting part is you get to make new ones."

This conversation was going deep into a depth that he did not wish to go just yet. "Let us not talk about the future, when we have this moment now."

Ophelia frowned for a brief moment, but then rolled back onto her back. "Will we really be able to build the dorm over the break?"

"If we work hard and smart, yes." He assured her.

"I wish I could jump to the end of the break, so I could see it for myself. The designs look so wonderful, that I am afraid that reality won't live up to my fantasy."

Her words also spoke of the future she had planned with him, which hurt his heart further. "You needn't worry, Ophelia. No matter what happens in reality, fantasy is always better, but that does not mean that reality can not be wonderful too."