Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CH2) Chapter 12: Morning Coffee

The morning coffee brewed in the coffee pot, and for lack of a kettle hot water boiled in a pot on the stove for those that wanted tea instead. Dalen had made breakfast for everyone of fried or scrambled eggs, toast, and sausage links along with a bowl of assorted fruit.

The beach house did not come with a dining room table, but instead benches surrounding the kitchen island. He set out everyone's plates and placed their preferred drink in front of it.

Seth and Julian were the first to filter out of their bedrooms and up the stairs. Seth looked exhausted and complained of a slight hang over, but Julian was all smiles as he sat down in front of the plate Dalen motioned him towards.

"You are rather chipper this morning." Dalen noted as he dipped his bread in the yolk of the egg, but kept eye contact with his friend. "You and Riane were asleep by the time we got back. Everything alright?"

He nodded with a cheeky grin. "Everything is great." Then a frown came to his lips, "Mind your own business."

After their kiss, Riane had been somewhat shy about the whole matter and hurried back home where she was quick to eat a small meal. Julian had smiled at her and tried to hold polite conversation, but she turned in early. He decided to do the same.

"Ugh, my head." Joe mumbled as she made her way up the steps. Her hair was tussled and fly aways were the main theme. "I hope we weren't too loud last night, Julian." She watched Dalen motion to the bench beside him and she rushed over to her coffee to chug it down.

"I didn't hear a thing." He continued with his happy expression. "This is so good!" He told Dalen as he popped a chunk of pineapple in his mouth. "I think you are a better cook then my mom, but that is hardly saying much."

Seth smacked his lips together before shoving a piece of toast in his mouth. "Is he freaking anyone else out?" He said with a mouthful of food.

Dalen and Joe both raised their hands, while Joe held her head in her hand with her elbow on the island.

"Ow, my head." Emma crawled up the stairs on her hands and knees. "Is that the smell of eggs? I think..." She covered her mouth and turned around to hurry back down the stairs.

"Light weight." Joe chuckled as she peppered and salted her scrambled eggs. "More coffee, please?"

Dalen took her cup and filled it up at the coffee pot behind him. He had drank with the group of four the night before, but he only consumed one drink per hour. So, after four hours of drinking he had taken care of the drunk group and made sure they had all gotten to their beds. He had stayed up with Emma for a little while when she started puking, but he wondered if she would even remember that as she had been pretty deep in the cup.

"I wonder where Riane is, she is usually the morning bird." Joe wondered out loud as she took the coffee cup from Dalen. "Thank you." She mouthed to him.

Julian chuckled to himself at the mention of her name, which caused Joe to shake her head slowly at him.

"Ugh, it is too early in the morning for your lovey dovey bullshit, Julian." She looked down at her eggs, put some on a fork, and then dropped them to the plate once more. Pushing them to the center of the island, she frowned. "Emma is right. Eggs are a bad choice after last night."

"Noted." Dalen grinned, "Why don't you eat the toast and fruit though?" He pushed the small plate of toast and the bowl of fruit together.

She sighed as she picked up a grape with his fingers despite the available fork. "Yeah, alright, if I throw up at least it will taste sweet then."

Riane emerged from downstairs with her hair freshly brushed and styled. She wore a blue summer dress with a yellow belt. It was obvious that she had showered and was ready for the day. "Emma is getting sick down there. I tried to help but she didn't let me in."

"Yeah, she was not feeling good last night, and even though she was very drunk she made me look away when she threw up." Dalen laughed.

"Can we stop talking about puke while I am eating?" Seth barked. "It's like you people have never been taught manners about the dining table."

Riane grinned as she took her seat in between Seth and Julian. "I only said 'sick.' I was being polite."

"Yes, thank you, you are a goddess amongst women." Seth replied sarcastically before hurrying to fill his mouth with fruit.

"Everyone looks pretty rough this morning." Riane noticed and tried to ignore that Julian was smiling at her waiting for the moment she would make eye contact with him.

Emma slowly re-emerged from downstairs, but they heard her moans before they saw hide or hair of her. "Do we have milk?"

Dalen was quick to grab her plate away, "Yes, you should try toast and fruit too. I'll get you a glass."

She sat down between Joe and Julian. "Milk first." She leaned her forehead against both of her hands while her elbows rested on the island. "I've never drank so much in my life. Why? Why did I do this to myself?"

"My only regret is not getting to see Riane sloshed." Joe teased her friend with a wink and a smile.

Riane slowly shook her head, "No, thank you. If this is the end result then I'll stick to soda and water."

Dalen laughed, "I'll teach you how to drink responsibility, Riane. These idiots just went shot for shot. You have to pace yourself and give time limits on each beer or shot. Only one an hour if you have to stay up and babysit the drunks, or one every half hour if you plan on having a bit of fun with the drunks."

Riane smirked at him and rolled her eyes. "Well, then, maybe I will try with the professor's instructions, of course."

"I'll have you drinking like a pro in no time." He jested and looked over at Julian who was simply smiling at Riane. "Oh, for the love of... would you acknowledge him before he engraves his likeness on your face with those fucking laser beam eyes."

She turned her attention to Julian with hesitation in her heart. "Good morning, Julian. Did you sleep well?"

"I did." He began to eat his fruit.

"What is wrong with you today, you fucking weirdo?" Joe hissed at him but it was more playful than cruel.

Riane sighed, as she braced herself to tell the truth. She feared the reactions, but she couldn't let Julian go on this way or it would be an awkward vacation. "We kissed."

There was a silent gasp among the group as everyone made eye contact with everyone else, and tried to figure out who would be the first to speak.

Julian bounced in his seat as if the weight of the world had been removed from his shoulders. "Oh, good, we are telling them, now. We are a couple!"

Riane hadn't agreed to that, but she wasn't going to argue technicality in front of the others, so she simply sighed.

"Serious, Riane?" Seth was the first to speak out which took the pressure off the rest of the group, even severely hung over Emma had been able to muster enough emotion to care.

She shrugged her shoulders with a sigh, and briefly looked at Julian. "What can I say? The big dope won me over."

Julian continued to sit next to her with a huge grin on his face like a toddler that just received a huge slice of cake all to themselves.

-***-

After they all had finished their breakfast, everyone gathered in the living room in order to plan out the day. Everything had been put into place over a week ago, but Seth seemed to have a need to go over the itinerary with them every morning. This would no doubt start to get old.

"So, we have some sight seeing to do today. We are going to see the largest banyan tree in the US, then see some actual lava, after wards we are going to head to the aquarium." Seth told them with excitement.

"Actually, I was hoping to just lay on the beach for a while today. Maybe we can hold off on one of those activities until another day." Emma didn't know if that was the proper thing to suggest, as she didn't want to be rude to the person who paid for her to come here. However, she was far too hung over to run around today and just wanted to rest.

Riane agreed with a slight furrow of her brow and then gave Emma a gentle nod to ease her obvious worry. "Yeah, I don't want to fill all our time with tourist stuff."

"Dalen and I are going to go off again by ourselves today." Joe announced before Seth could answer either of the girls.

Julian, who was happily sitting on the couch next to Riane, frowned. This would not stand. Not today, though he honestly didn't understand why he decided that he had to be the champion of change in that moment. "This isn't a romantic get away for two. You came here to be Riane's guest."

Joe didn't back down from him, and a look of annoyance crossed over her face. She couldn't believe he would speak to her like she was some sort of servant here for his bidding. "We have a whole week here. There will be plenty of time to hang out together as a group."

He scoffed, "You are a piece of work, you know that? You have been nothing but rude to the new girl since you arrived, and you have been ignoring your friend."

"Let's not argue." Dalen interceded. He could already see this conversation going in a very bad direction, after all both Joe and Julian were extremely stubborn. "He is right, although saying it in the rudest way possible. We should hang out with the group."

Emma was leaning her elbow against arm rest with her head in her hand. She didn't hear Julian stand up for her because she was trying her best to drown out the noise.

Joe rolled her eyes, "Riane doesn't mind." She turned her head towards her friend. "She understands that we are trying to work on us. Don't you, Riane?"

Riane was not fine with this and did feel like her friend was abandoning her, but she didn't want to be the one to stand in her way. Mostly, because she knew if she did, Joe wouldn't be a fun person to hang around anyway. "I don't care. The four of us had a great day yesterday, despite Adonia. If you don't want to be with us then don't."

"It's not that I don't want to be with you guys. It's just that a whole week hanging out with a large group seems a bit much." Joe couldn't believe the passive aggressiveness that her friend was displaying. She wasn't used to Riane pushing for her own way.

Riane shrugged, "Whatever your reasons. It would be better if you two went off together then if you didn't get your way and pouted the whole day."

The tension in the room was thick and not a single male dared say a word as the two had their "discussion." Even Julian who would normally add his thoughts could see that this moment was delicate and he needed to stay as far away from it as possible.

Emma looked between those not in the conversation with worry in her eyes or perhaps it was just the pain of her hangover.

"Alright, let's go, Dalen." Joe got up from the couch and walked over to the door.

Dalen looked unsure if he should follow her, and looked between his male friends who offered him no solution with their doe caught in the tail lights expression. He stood up slowly and looked towards Riane. "Well, we will hang out tomorrow then." He said as he clasped his hands together and headed towards the door which Joe had already opened.

As they stepped out, a new person stepped into the house with a large smile on her lips. Adonia headed towards the living room, "Good morning!" She exclaimed and everyone knew she had been waiting for someone to open that door, instead of knocking on it.

"Get out!" Julian barked and stood from the couch. There was no mock look of anger as he ground his teeth together.

His loud voice startled the room, but Adonia was frozen in place still walking towards the couch that he had been sitting on.

"Wh-What?" She was finally able to mumble out as her heart beat wildly in her chest. She couldn't pinpoint her emotion. Was she embarrassed or angry or simply frightened? It could have been a combination of all that she didn't have a name for in that moment.

Riane recovered quickly as well from Julian's sudden outburst. As much as she didn't want Adonia hanging around them that day, she knew it would be a losing battle. Besides, when she returned home, she still wanted her as her friend despite this lapse in judgment. "It's fine, Julian. She doesn't have anyone else to hang out with so it might as well be us."

"No, it is not fine." He was speaking to Riane, but his eyes were focused on Adonia keeping her locked in place. "You weren't invited on this trip. You don't belong here. Today, I am only hanging out with my girl, my best friend, and the new girl, whose name I keep fucking forgetting."

"Emma." She mumbled her own name under her breath, as she tried to fight the pain in her head and the desire to tell Julian to lower his voice.

Adonia looked to Riane for help as she was unsure of what exactly was happening. She knew what Julian had said to her the night before, but she didn't expect the behavior to carry on into the next day.

"Don't look at her. Just get out. Go make your own vacation. We already planned ours and you were not invited." He motioned towards the door.

Adonia felt the humiliation beginning to set in, as she realized that her carefully laid plan was not working. She had been too obvious in her intent. She cleared her throat and gave her best grin. "Well, then. I guess I'll take my leave. Sorry for bothering you."

Julian followed behind her to shut and lock the door as she stepped out. When he returned to the couch, he flung himself next to Riane and gave her a grin.

"Are we sure we don't want to do these activities today?" Seth said finally finding his voice again and wanting the awkwardness to end.

"New girl is fucking hung over. Let her sit on the fucking beach." Julian snapped in a half annoyed and half playful way.

"Emma." Riane and Emma said in unison.

He shrugged, "Emma, then."

Seth sighed, "Alright, it's Emma's day then. I'll pack us a lunch, snacks, and drinks." He looked at Riane and Julian. "Can you two gather together the chairs from downstairs and the blankets?"

They both nodded.

"What about me?" Emma asked.

Riane chuckled, "Just go change into a swim suit and let us take care of it. I think there are some sports drink in the kitchen. My step-mom always drank one when she was hung over, she says they hydrate you and are the best cure for a hangover."

Emma seemed unwilling to make a fuss and simply headed into the kitchen to find a sports drink.

Julian smiled at Riane as they headed down the stairs, and she returned the gesture. She didn't know why, but she was somewhat flattered by his actions. He started two different issues, but he did it for her sake and as much as he needed more tact she appreciated his efforts.

-***-

"Julian was a bit rabid this morning, don't you think?" Joe asked Dalen as they walked shoulder to shoulder down the sidewalk.

They were heading to a local food shack for lunch after having spent the morning at a spa. Though they could have talked during that time, they mostly spent it relaxing and enjoying the experience.

Dalen slowly nodded his head, "He is just standing up for Riane. I think you and Blake have been replaced by a new champion."

She chuckled and gently tapped her shoulder against his own, which made Dalen think about holding her hand. He had tried to do it the day before a couple of times, but she had pulled her hand away each time without offering an excuse.

She was wearing a red summer dress with spaghetti straps and brown sandals. Her hair was in a ponytail and she wore a small amount of eyeliner and mascara. He hadn't been able to admire her beauty much since their day was full of cucumbers on their eyes, sitting in mud, and massages.

It was hard to believe that she had just broken up with him a few days before and yet here she was acting as if little had changed between them. He wanted to bring the topic up. He wanted to know what she was thinking, but he feared it would only damage the situation.

Both hand holding and kisses were completely off the table, and he was beginning to wonder if this was her way of making him a friend only. He had to remind himself that this was only day two of their vacation. He knew he had to be patient, but it was not something he was finding to be easy. Which was unusual for him since he was often the most patient person of the group.

"I guess it is good she has someone watching out for her. I can't believe they are really dating, even though I remember hoping for something like that when it first started." Joe sighed as they both got in line for the small wooden shack that only had outdoor seating.

"She didn't look very comfortable though. Maybe it will just take some time getting used to being in a relationship." Dalen remembered Riane pulling away from Julian's touches that morning several times, only to stop herself and seem to accept them.

Joe replied as if she had read his mind. "She has never had a boyfriend before and her personal space bubble is pretty big. Blake and I have been the only two allowed other than her little brother. Julian keeps violating that space over and over. Either Riane will get used to it or she'll go off on Julian." She smirked, "She seems comfortable enough telling him the truth. I think it's because he doesn't get hurt. Too arrogant, maybe?"

Dalen shrugged his shoulders, "Too in love, I think. Julian BR, that's before Riane, it's what Seth and I call it. Julian BR was prone to angry outbursts. We would just leave him to his temper tantrums. But, Julian AR..." He looked at her to see if she would guess.

"After Riane." Joe giggled as she looked over the paper menu that was offered to them by a worker.

"He is a chill ass dude. I mean he still has his emotional outbursts, but they aren't angry ones. He has stopped hanging out behind the gym all day, and now waits around to walk Emma and Riane to their classes." He frowned as he thought of their new female friend. Julian had been right that morning about Joe treating Emma poorly. "I think he is jealous of Emma."

She looked up from the menu, "You think?"

"Yeah, I mean he walks her around from class to class everyday, and today he calls her the new girl as if he doesn't remember her name." He swallowed.

"He certainly tried to protect her from me." Joe sucked on her bottom lip for a moment as she realized that this was the reason Dalen brought the topic up. She sighed audibly and looked at the people around her that had either got their food and found a place to sit or waited in line and chatted with their friends.

"Sorry." He mumbled.

"I just don't like that she has been friends with Riane for a few weeks and already Riane is buying expensive vacations for her. And before you say anything, yes, I know that Seth paid for her, which only makes it worse. She is now willing to take money from anybody to come on this trip." Joe shook her head. "I don't like the idea of her taking advantage of my friend."

"She isn't. I eat lunch with her everyday. She is probably one of the sweetest people I have ever met. If she bakes, she brings us all cookies or whatever she made. She shares what little she has with us. She walks Riane from classroom to classroom without ever asking anything more than Riane come over to her house so they can study." He lifted his hand to put it on her shoulder, but thought better of it and immediately dropped it. "She is a good person. You should give her a chance."

She slowly shook her head. "I don't know. I couldn't imagine accepting this paid vacation from someone I only knew for two weeks."

"Riane begged her. It was before you two made up and she didn't want to come here with just us guys. She wanted another girl and Emma was hesitant, but ultimately agreed." Dalen knew this wasn't going to end well, and decided that he would just leave the conversation at that.

The two fell silent and only spoke when they ordered their food. When the Styrofoam containers were placed on the counter in a plastic bag, Dalen grabbed them and they looked around for a place to eat their meal.

The only available picnic table held one woman and as they approached it, she became very familiar to them.

"Adonia?" Joe asked as she sat down across from her.

When Adonia looked up, her eyes were puffy and it was obvious why other people had avoid sitting at this table. "Oh, hey." She wiped away her tears and looked down at her food. "I have never had spam before. My mom always called it white trash meat, but it's pretty good the way they make it here."

Dalen sat down besides Joe and pulled out the containers from the bag. He opened each one to see which plate went to whom.

"Are you alright?" She asked with concern as her food was placed in front of her and Dalen offered her a plastic fork.

Adonia shrugged, "I am... I did something stupid. I don't know why I thought just showing up in the middle of someone's vacation would be acceptable. I was just lonely after my break up with Blake, and since Blake told me he is in love with Riane, I was afraid she wouldn't let me come along." She sniffled, "Better to ask forgiveness then permission type deal."

"Blake told you he is in love with Riane?" Joe asked in shock, but Dalen just felt annoyed that this girl had showed up again.

She nodded, "Yeah. He wants her to move into his apartment and for them to act as if they are engaged to get her away from her fake engagement with Julian. Ironic, right? Create a fake engagement with him to stop another one with another man." She took a heavy breath, "In truth, I think he wouldn't stop at fake engagement. In order to keep her, he would go through with a wedding and everything else until it was real to both of them." She pushed some rice around with her fork.

"Well, I don't think Riane and Julian's engagement is fake... at least not anymore. It is definitely not forced." She pressed her lips together, "Where would you have been in all this?"

"A side piece, obviously." She cleared her throat. "You know, waiting around until he finally got a real relationship with Riane and then tossed out like trash."

"Wow, I am really sorry, Adonia. That's awful. I have known Blake for a very long time. It's hard to imagine him doing such a thing." She leaned forward on her elbows, forgetting her meal.

"Jealousy is a powerful motivator, I guess."

"Hey, why don't you hang out with us today?" Joe told her with a large smile and Dalen nearly choked on his food as he tried to argue it would be a bad idea, but nothing managed to come out but the food he coughed up.

"Really? Thank you!" Adonia began to smile and the sadness began to fade.

-***-

Riane wore a yellow one piece swimsuit that covered her hips and looked more like shorts. Over that she wore a bright green beach wrap around her waist that fell to her knees. She hadn't been comfortable when she first put it on, but as she walked around the beach with Julian, she slowly stopped worrying about it.

Julian just wore black swim trunks with a red strip on the side, which Seth had bought one just like it that was dark green with a yellow strip. He, however, wore a white shirt though he didn't know if he was going to take it off or not to get in the water. While he did work out, he wasn't exactly sporting a six pack. Emma sat with him on a beach blanket in a red polka-doted bikini.

There wasn't a great deal of people out from the other beach houses, but there were enough trying to surf or picnic with their families.

Sitting on the beach towel, Emma wore huge sunglasses and sipped on a blue sports drink that merely tasted of the color that it was. She couldn't tell if the warm sun on her skin was making her feel better or worse. Whenever she thought she had found relief another wave of nausea would hit or the headache would begin to pound once more.

Seth was happy to sit beside her without speaking, while Julian held Riane's hand as they walked along the beach collecting seashells and chatting with one another.

Julian looked ecstatic to be holding hands with his now girlfriend or fiancee, he couldn't decide which one was proper yet. Every thing she said, Julian listened to carefully and when she had stepped on something with her barefoot, Julian was quick to check her foot and then to look through the sand. He smiled widely and talked with enthusiasm.

For a man that had scolded Joe that morning about this not being a romantic vacation for two, he certainly seemed content to ignore Emma and Seth. Though Emma didn't seem to mind as she could barely stomach her sports drink.

Of course, she had wanted to drink coffee, but Julian had insisted that it would only make her headache worse. To her surprise, she sipped on some when he wasn't looking and found that it did in fact make it hurt more.

"Ugh, he is making me sick just watching him." Emma groaned as she sat up and opened the top to her sports drink. She took a small sip before closing the lid and tossing it on the large beach towel. "I've never seen a man so happy to just be holding hands with a woman. He is even worse than before and I never imagined that was possible."

Seth chuckled before speaking softly. "Just wait until I get home and talk to Angela. Julian won't have anything on me."

Emma rolled her eyes though he couldn't see through her dark sunglasses, but the faux annoyance subsided quickly. "It is really cool of you to wait until you get home. A lot of jerks would just break up with her via text."

"Our families are close and I owe them that much, besides I am really good at delay satisfaction." He told her with a large smile.

"Is that a sex joke?" She asked picking up her sports drink once more.

"No, you dirty birdie." He laughed, before his attention was taking away by Riane squealing in the distance. Julian had dumped water from the ocean on her using his hands, when she shoved him away he bounced back and held her shoulder to give her a kiss on the forehead.

"Are you sure that the asshole stories are about this Julian?" Emma shook her head. "I've only known this version, even if I have witnessed him grumpy a time or two."

Seth slowly shook his head, "I am not certain that asshole Julian still even exists, and part of me wonders if he ever did. Did I invent him in my head? Luckily, Dalen and Riane are both here to remind me that I was hallucinating." He smirked and pulled out some mixed nuts in a can. "Here, you should try eating something again. It's been an hour since you last lost your chunks."

"It's blew chunks, and I guess." She took the can from him and opened the top to look at the assortment of nuts. It was mostly peanuts, but she found her favorite Brazilian nut and popped it into her mouth.

The chewing noise caused her head to throb, but she quickly swallowed it down then closed the container. She just wanted to test the waters to see if she could keep that one down for now. Throwing up a handful of nuts would not be pleasant.

"I am sorry you are so hungover. We have to miss a full day of activities like this." He frowned as he watched her stare at the nut container as if at any second it would betray her.

Emma shook her head, "Actually, it's nice just lazing about. Every day doesn't have to be filled with as much as we can pack into it. I prefer hanging out with you on the beach... even with the damn hangover."

Riane screamed in the distance as Julian grabbed her by the waist and spun her around. She laughed loudly as he put her back down and once again shove him away from her only to have him jump back into arms distance to kiss her forehead.

"They are like a dating site commercial." Emma joked as she made the decision to have another nut since her stomach wasn't rejecting the first yet.

Seth nodded his head, "Yeah, one of the cheesy ones of the couple walking on the beach and the voice over saying how they met on their website. 'Our algorithm works for true love!' That type slogan."

She snickered as she chewed on another nut. The two fell silent as Julian and Riane continued to play with each other in the distance. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Certainly." He turned his attention towards her.

"Are you serious about wanting to date me?" Emma asked the question slowly as she didn't know if she really wanted the answer.

"Yes." He answered back quickly.

She took a deep breath, "What would your family think of that?"

He half smiled as if he was amused, "They won't care. My mother was a dental hygienist when she met my father. She comes from nothing and there was no issues. Well, I mean a couple of the older generation grumbled under their breath about it, but they are dead now."

"That's an awful thing to say about your family." Emma scolded.

"What? I only spoke the truth, they are dead now. It's not like I said I am glad they are dead and wish I could watch them die again." He took the open nut container from her and grabbed a handful for himself. "Better get some of these before the Emma squirrel eats them all."

"Julian knows how to deal with hangovers, huh?" She asked and watched him nod slowly as he ate a peanut.

"You should ask him to make you a fruit smoothie. All those vitamins really do help, but I can never get it to taste just like his does. I use the same damn ingredients." He sighed, "Actually, I could go for one right now. Do you want to try one?"

"I don't know."

"Best part about them is if you throw up, it tastes just as good coming up as it did going down." He made the motion of the smoothie going down to his belly and then back up.

Emma frowned, "That doesn't make it as appealing as you think it does, but I guess if you say it will help."

"Hey, Julian!" He shouted out and Julian who was twirling Riane around stopped to look at them, but he didn't put her feet back into the sand. "Let's make smoothies. We could all go for a boost., especially Emma."

Julian said something to Riane and she nodded her head, which the other two assumed he was asking her if she wanted one. Shouting back, Julian replied. "Sure, I'll whip some up right now."

He put Riane back down before grabbing her hand and pulling her back inside the beach house. As he passed them he mumbled something about teaching her his secret recipe.

-***-

Dalen and Joe felt terrible when they got the text that lunch would be on the beach as a picnic, since they had already eaten. However, after Julian's hissy fit that morning, Joe knew she shouldn't just admit that she already ate and not go.

Unfortunately, they had invited Adonia to spend the day with them, and she couldn't just recede that invitation. When they told her they had to go to the house, she looked hesitant for a moment, but seemed to warm to the idea. Dalen decided it was because she would be an invited guest this time so there couldn't be any harsh feelings.

As they walked around the house to get to the beach, Adonia tried her best to stay behind them and not skip towards the others.

Julian was sitting on a blanket with the other three as he removed the plastic from a mozzarella cheese stick. He was blissfully unaware of the woman who had spotted him in that moment. He was content to sit on the blanket next to Riane and try to do everything for her, even when she snapped at him to stop.

"I can open it myself." Riane sighed as he offered the cheese stick back to her. "I also hate it when other people touch my food."

Julian grinned as he pulled out a soda from the blue cooler and offered it out to her. "Did you want help applying the sunscreen to your back?"

"No, Emma can do it." Riane tried her best not to blush at the idea though Julian didn't notice her awkwardness Emma and Seth who sat across from them did. They gave each other knowing looks followed by shaking their heads in disgust.

"You two are so sweet, it hurts my stomach." Emma told her friends as Julian handed her a clear soda for her stomach.

"You sure its not the hangover, lightweight?" Julian replied as she snatched the soda away with a little bit of a hiss in his voice, though he tried to make it sound like he was being playful.

She didn't reply but only rolled her eyes and stuck up her tongue in an actual playful manner that made Julian smirk.

"She's right. It's like when you get a piece of candy lodged in your tooth and it aches because you can literately feel the sugar deteriorating your tooth." Seth pointed into his mouth at his back teeth slightly as he talked.

"You might have a cavity, Seth. I'd get that checked out." Riane teased back and Julian held up his hand to get a high five from her. She did so with only a slight groan at the ridiculousness of having to humor him.

"I know Emma just wants to hang out, but we can go do something. Seth will keep her company. Right, Seth?" Julian's voice almost seemed more like he was begging his friend then getting confirmation.

Emma grabbed her stomach, and tried her best not to smile but look like she was in pain. "Ugh, there is that sweetness again."

Playing along with her, Seth reached up to his face and harshly placed his hand on his cheek. "Ow, my tooth!"

Riane giggled at their antics, "No, it's fine to hang out like this all day. We have a lot of time here and its nice to do nothing instead of feeling like we have to adhere to a schedule."

Julian listened to Riane, but gave glares to the other two members of his party. "Alright, but we should take a break after we eat and go inside for an hour or two. Staying out in the sun for too long can cause exhaustion."

She nodded, "Alright."

"Who are you two? And where did you put my friends? Julian concerned for others?" Seth looked at Riane, "Riane actually willing to date him? I feel like you two got on that plane, but two different people got off."

Neither responded to him and merely brushed him off.

"Hey, guys!" Joe called as her feet hit the sand.

Everyone turned their attention to them and immediately Julian's amusement turned sour. "What the fuck?" He mumbled under his breath.

"Before you get upset. We invited her." Joe explained as she sat down on the blanket and Dalen was soon to follow.

Adonia, however, remained standing and looked between everyone. "I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I shouldn't have shown up here and expected everyone to drop their plans in order to accommodate me. I am going to head home tomorrow, so can I just hang out here for the rest of the day with you guys?"

"No." Julian's answer stood out amongst everyone else saying yes or alright. He stood from the blanket. "I don't feel sorry for you, Adonia. You have been up to something since you got here, and I think we both know what it is going on."

"Julian, she says she is leaving tomorrow." Riane snapped at him, which caused him to look towards her and soften his expression.

"Can't you see what she is doing? Telling you about Blake's feelings, and hanging on me all day yesterday?" He was trying his best not to yell at her, but his voice raised slightly.

"I am not stupid, Julian." She knew exactly what Adonia had been up to. The girl hadn't been exactly subtle in her attempts.

"I didn't say you were." His voice raised higher and the rest of the group feared they were about to witness the new couple's first fight.

"Look," Adonia interrupted, "I don't know what you two think I was up to, but apparently I really made myself look bad. I have been having a hard time over my break up with Blake, and I only told you he liked you... probably because I was mad at you. I wanted you to know you were once again the reason for his relationship's ending. I am sorry, Riane. That was cruel of me. I shouldn't spread my sorrows to those that are undeserving."

"It's alright, Adonia." Riane told her with a gentle grin and patted the spot next to her on the blanket.

Julian scoffed, but said nothing as he quickly sat back down on the blanket like a toddler having a tantrum.

"We have plenty of food. Why don't you join us?" She ignored Julian and continued with what she was about to say.

"I already ate, but I would still like to join you. If that is alright?" Adonia made her way over to the allotted spot and sat down next to her after Riane had gave her a nod that it was alright.

Emma grinned, "Well, I am glad that all worked out for the best." She turned her attention to Dalen and Joe. "What do you want to drink?" She asked since she and Julian had the cooler between them and were therefore in charge of passing out food and drink.

Joe looked towards Julian, "A water, please."

Pressing his lips together, Julian glared at her. "Do I look like your personal servant? Emma offered you the fucking drink not me."

Dalen had already asked for a soda and Adonia did as well as Julian snapped at Joe. The entire group was worried about what Joe would do. Though, Emma secretly harbored feelings of joy after Julian had stood up to Joe. She didn't know if he had done it because he noticed Joe's treatment or if he was just offended that she asked him. Either way, he remembered her name and that was a win in Emma's book.

Reaching into the cooler, Emma grabbed a water and held it out to Joe. Dalen ended up taking it as Joe glared at Julian, but he seemed oblivious as he asked Riane what kind of sandwich she wanted. He then proceeded to list the kinds they had just made that morning together.

Riane could see the anger in Joe's eyes, but she decided Joe had it coming after the way she was treating Emma. This would have to be a conversation for another time, as she wasn't going to waste her vacation time on it.

-***-

Adonia went off with Joe and Dalen to play in the ocean, while Seth and Julian had gone inside for a little while. Julian said his skin was feeling tingly and he was afraid of getting a sunburn, so Seth followed him inside to keep him company.

That left Riane and a still hungover Emma laying on the blanket and watching the others play in the ocean. Julian had stuck a beach umbrella into the sand to give the girls some shade as he had been worrying about them getting sunburnt as well.

Riane could understand his concern after all she was rather pale, but she put on coats of sunscreen every hour in order to protect herself. She smelled of coconuts and lotion which bothered her whenever she got a whiff of herself. It wasn't that it was not a pleasant smell, but that she worried she smelled like an alcoholic drink or some such nonsense. It took a moment to realize everyone was using the sunscreen and probably didn't notice how she smelled, which calmed her nerves a bit.

"Can I ask you something without you getting upset?" Emma began, which as never a great way to start a conversation.

"Alright." Riane was laying on the blanket on her back while Emma sat up with her legs crossed. She couldn't lay down because it would make it stomach hurt.

She cleared her throat, "I could just be wrong or this could just be new to you and you look uncomfortable, but..." She stopped speaking, "Let me try that again. Correct me if I am wrong, but even though you were having fun with Julian earlier, you looked a bit unsure." She said the last word more as a question than a statement.

Riane was quiet for a moment, "I am still trying to figure out what happened. I don't think I like him the way he likes me."

"Oh." Emma fell silent for a brief moment as she thought, "Well, why don't you tell me what happened? Sometimes telling it to another person can give perspective."

Riane sat up and wrapped her arms around her knees; she then put her chin on her knees. "All day yesterday, Adonia was hogging Julian. I was jealous, but I don't know if I was jealous because he was supposed to be my buddy on this trip or if it was for... um..."

"Romantic reasons?" Emma tried to help her friend find the right words and could see Riane wince when she assisted.

Inhaling deeply, she began to speak again. "Yes, romantic feelings. Anyway, I thought all the attention that she was getting meant that Julian finally got the real girl he wanted, and all the attention he piled on me was sort of a consolation prize. I was hurt. I told him before he didn't really like me and was just seeking my attention as second best. To see that it was true... well, it felt like someone had punched me in the throat."

Emma frowned as she watched her friend speak, but she didn't dare interrupt her as she knew she was meant to be the listener only in this conversation. At least, for now.

"So, at the end of the night, the two were getting cozy on the couch and I decided I was being a third wheel." She paused for a moment, "I felt myself nearing tears, so I ran out onto the beach to get some fresh air. I refused to cry and instead I watched what little I could see of the waves crash on the beach and it was comforting." She smiled gently at the memory, which made Emma smile as well.

Taking a sip from her sports drink, Emma remained quiet as her friend searched for words to explain herself.

"Within mere moments, Julian was standing on the beach with me. He had completely abandoned Adonia. I tried to send him back to her, but he told me he was only being nice to her because I told him to be at lunch." Riane's eyes moved from side to side as if she was searching her memories for something. "When I admitted I was jealous, he kissed me, then immediately apologized for it. He was stumbling around with his words and for the first time, I could feel it, you know?" She pointed to her chest. "That feeling and a belief that he actually likes me. I could feel his emotion and his worry in that moment. My heart felt full and he was so cute stumbling around with his words in hopes that I wouldn't get mad. So, I kissed him."

Emma waited a couple heartbeats to ensure Riane was done speaking. "Wow, that is rather romantic, but what is bothering you?"

"I don't know why I kissed him. I mean, yes, I told you how I felt in that moment, but there is no way I feel the same about him as he does me." She swallowed, "I think I was just feeling emotional and I let my feelings get the better of me. A rash action that has far reaching consequences. Not to mention, he was making me feel awkward so I told everyone what happened, when I should have made us keep it to ourselves. At least, until I was capable of understanding what I was feeling. Now, if I realize this was all a mistake then he will be humiliated in front of his friends."

When Riane looked up from her blanket to Emma, there was a gentle grin on her lips and for a brief moment, she thought Emma might make fun of her.

"Riane, there is no possible way you could ever feel for him as he does you." Emma chuckled in a comforting manner.

However, Riane's heart ached at her friend's truth.

"Do you see how intensely he feels?" She asked but continued on without getting a response from her friend. "It looks so exhausting, but everyday he acts like that. Every single day, he is like a little boy on Christmas the moment he sees you. There is no possible way you can feel that intensely, at least not yet."

She was beginning to see where Emma was going with this and her heart lightened slightly as she realized Emma wasn't trying to convince her to end anything.

"You kissed him. In that moment, you didn't hug him, you didn't comfort him like a sister would. You kissed him. So, maybe you should let yourself know something real might be in your heart, but you find it underwhelming because he is so loud and intense with his feelings. Give it some time, and see if the seed he planted last night grows." Emma patted her friend's hand softly.

Riane grinned kindly, "Thanks, Emma. That actually makes me feel a lot better."

"Want a hug?" Emma opened both of her arms up and Riane leaned to the side to hug her friend tightly. "See this is what sibling love feels like."

Pulling away, Riane playfully swatted at her friend's arm. "Bitch." She mumbled under her breath and the word made Emma laugh quite loudly.

"Hey, I brought you another sports drink and some aspirin." Seth approached the blanket and handed the items over to Emma, before looking at Riane. "Julian is complaining. He thinks he gave himself a sunburn. I am pretty sure he is fine since we have been vigilant on putting on the sunscreen, but until he is proven wrong, we have a big ass baby on our hands."

"Is he refusing to come back outside?" She asked him.

He nodded his head, "Yeah, he is. He wanted me to ask you to come inside with him. I think he wants you to baby him so he can have you all to himself."

Riane giggled as did Emma. "No, I am not going to spend my afternoon listening to him whine about a sunburn he doesn't even have."

Seth sat down on the blanket. "Well, if no one goes in there to be the message deliverer then he will have to eventually come out here on his own... or spend the day alone."

Emma slowly shook her head, "I swear he goes from big tough boy to innocent child quite quickly."

"Yeah, it's like I said. I think he is just trying to hog up all of Riane's time. It's a ruse. He is a bad actor." Seth laughed as did the two girls. "So what were you two chatting about?"

"Girl stuff." Emma told him before Riane could answer and then gave a smile to her friend with a little wink. The conversation would be kept between them, she promised with her eyes.

-***-

Joe and Dalen both helped Adonia up the stairs of her own beach house as the sun set in the distance. When they finally unlocked the door the layout was much the same as their own beach house.

"Do we take her downstairs?" Dalen asked; knowing that the bedrooms were down there and only a living room existed on the floor they were on.

Adonia mumbled something about a warm bed, but she could barely be understood.

Shaking her head, Joe stared at the stairs. "No, we already fought up the stairs with her. It is more dangerous to try it all over again. Let's put her on the couch."

They held the woman between them and at times Adonia would take steps of her own, but for the most part they were dragging her.

Sitting her on the couch, Joe knelt down to take off the woman's shoes. "Go get a blanket off one of the beds and grab her a couple pillows."

Dalen took the order and hurried down the stairs. He couldn't believe that everyone had insisted that they take her home since they invited her, but he also couldn't deny the logic. Although, why not just let her stay the night on the couch?

Kneeling on the ground still, Joe looked up at the woman who couldn't keep her eyes open nor hold her head up. "Really? Four shots, a couple beers, and you are like this?" She snorted, "And here I thought Emma was the lightweight."

Adonia mumbled something to her that was not audible and then attempt to pick at her ear, but she couldn't lift her arm let alone target it in the right direction.

Grabbing her hand, Joe put it back on her lap. "I hope that dress is comfortable, because I am not changing you." She sighed, "Do you have to pee?"

Another inaudible noise burst from her lips.

"I hope you don't pee the couch then." Joe heard Dalen heading up the stairs and she took the pillows he offered out to her while he unraveled the blanket.

Adonia tried to touch her face, but failed and her hand simply fell to her lap.

Putting them near the armrest of the couch, Joe reached up to touch Adonia's cheek and put pressure on her shoulder with her other hand. "Come on, lay down." Once she had her one her side, she started to adjust her. "You have to lay on your stomach, in case you throw up while you are sleeping."

The other woman moved to lay on her stomach and Dalen threw the blanket over her with a look of annoyance on his face.

"Why would she even drink if she knew she couldn't handle it?" He frowned as he stared at the woman laying on the couch. "Should we leave her here alone?"

Standing up, Joe walked into the kitchen and got a glass of water to put on the coffee table. "I am not going to spend my evening babysitting her because she made bad choices for herself."

"Yeah, but what if something bad happens to her?" Though he was annoyed, he was also concerned. He didn't want to leave her completely alone in this state.

Joe sat down at the woman's feet. "Fine, we will stay for a couple hours, but after that we go back home, alright?"

He nodded as he sat down on the other couch across the room. "Just until we are sure she will be fine."

There was some silence between them as they didn't want to turn on the television or a radio in case it would wake the sleeping beauty.

"She sure does love talking about herself and the ranch, doesn't she?" Joe finally spoke when Adonia moaned as she rubbed her face into the pillow.

He nodded. "An insane amount. I don't even know Blake, but he doesn't seem the type to date selfish women. I wonder what he saw in her."

"Boobs." Joe quickly replied. "All of his girlfriends were large chested cheerleader types. Now that I know he is in love with Riane. It changes a great deal of history. Things I thought about him... well, I have no idea what to think anymore. Riane thought she was the source of all his issues with girlfriends, and it turns out she was but it wasn't her fault. It wasn't even the girlfriend's fault; the blame lays at Blake's feet alone.

Dalen nodded his head along with what she said, but spoke nothing in return.

She scoffed. "I am rather pissed off at him. Part of me wants to call him and yell at him. Another part knows it's not my place. Riane loved him for so long and in truth he had loved her, but he was too much a coward to express it to her. Why? I wish I knew. I know he knew her feelings, he had told me as such on multiple occasions."

"Maybe he was afraid." Dalen finally spoke. "Afraid of their relationship changing. Afraid of losing his best friend if it changed."

She shrugged, "If he was afraid then he is a coward as I already labeled him."

Adonia mumbled in her sleep and for a moment they both thought she might sit up. She burped slightly which made them think she might also get sick. However, she settled back down quickly and returned to her labored breathing.

"Now, we have to deal with the aftermath of his inability to be honest with himself." Joe motioned towards Adonia. "I have no idea what this was all about, but it starts and ends with Blake, even if Adonia wants to blame Riane like all the rest."

"I suppose so." Dalen watched Adonia sleep for a moment, "I wonder what Julian liked about her? Riane and she seem worlds apart."

Looking away from Adonia, Joe looked him dead in the eyes and spoke with no humor in her voice. "Boobs, Dalen, boobs."

He smirked.

Another silence fell over them that was only interrupted by Adonia whimper slightly in her sleep, before falling back asleep.

"We should hang out with everyone tomorrow. Emma didn't drink tonight, so she won't have a hangover tomorrow." Dalen suggested.

Joe let out a large exhale of both air and emotion. "Yeah, I guess so. This is going to be a really long vacation, isn't it? Only day two and I already feel like going home and laying in my bed for a week."

"I always thought the idea of a vacation was to take you away from your normal everyday, so you can remember how much you enjoy your normal everyday." He told her and continued speaking when he saw interest in her eyes. "The first couple of days are all fun and new. You tell yourself how you wish this could never end, but then you miss the little things. Like your own bed, for instance. Or your favorite restaurant."

"Yeah, I guess if you don't miss home after being gone, it might be time to change your life around." Joe added.

"Agreed." He said with a smile, "There is nothing I love more than after a vacation coming home so tired I can barely move. I toss my luggage on the floor and leave it there for days or weeks, until I am finally rested enough to dig through it. You get to relive your moments all over again and then put them away or into the wash. That one final time you get to be away in just your mind, before it all disappears forever."

She grinned, "You writing poetry over there?"

He continued to smile, not bothered at all by her playful jest. "I may have a bit of poet's heart and a gentle soul."

"I know. I like that about you." She said the words out loud, but almost in a hushed whisper as she didn't really want him to hear it.

He did, of course, hear the words, but he could tell she was uncertain saying them, so he decided to let them hang in the air.

"I wonder if there is a place nearby that we can get some snacks." He wondered.

"Yeah, back at the beach house."

-***-

Sitting out on the blanket, the sun was slowly setting on their day and the lights of the houses around them were beginning to shine like beacons on the beach. Riane's hair moved in the light wind that accompanied the night with Julian sitting beside her. They were shoulder to shoulder as she stared out at the ocean.

Emma and Seth chatted on the balcony above them. She had just started to feel better when the others started to drink and had declined the offer. Seth had decided to have a couple beers but nothing like they had done the night before.

"It was a wonderful day." Riane told the man sitting beside her, who turned his head towards her with a large smile.

"I am glad you enjoyed yourself." He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her in so that her head rested on his shoulder. The skin of her arm was cool to the touch so he rubbed it softly to cause friction in an effort to warm her.

She was quiet for a moment as she felt tense in his arms. "I wonder what is going on with those two?"

"What two?" He questioned.

"Seth and Emma. They seem to be flirting, but they keep distance from each other. I know she likes him, so I wonder what is happening between them." She replied softly so the couple above them couldn't hear them.

She felt him shrug his shoulders, "I don't care."

Sitting up she looked at him, "What do you mean you don't care? I bring up a subject of topic and you just brush it away with an 'I don't care.' That's rude."

"It's not that I don't care about chatting with you. It's that I don't care to gossip about others or to guess what is going on in someone else's life. You want to know? Why don't you go ask?" His voice was calm and he didn't seem to be bothered by her sudden annoyance.

Riane sighed as her phone began to ring. She grabbed it from the blanket and looked at the video chat request that was coming through. "Oh, exciting!" She squealed as she turned on the video chat and a little red head boy appeared. "Rusty!"

Her little brother smiled and waved, "Rye-rye!"

Deidra appeared briefly on the phone. It was obvious they were riding in a car and she was driving. "Hey, baby girl! We have some time to chat with you. Your father is out of town. I hope you aren't too busy!"

"I am in Hawaii." She told her excitedly and heard Deidra say something about how wonderful it was before the camera switched back to Russell.

"I am going to talk to her." Her brother demanded and looked back to the camera. "Your hair is different! You are in Hawaii? How is school? Are you alright all by yourself? I miss you so much! The house is so empty!"

Riane tried to hold back tears in her eyes as it had been so long since she saw her little brother. "I changed a lot, but I am really happy where I am."

Julian smiled at that comment, but kept quiet.

"Its dark where you are." He told her even though all he had was the light of the car illuminating him.

"Its dark where you are too." She laughed, but turned on the camera light so he could see better. "How are you? Have you been brushing your teeth everyday without me?"

"Yep, everyday. I sing the song when dad isn't here. He's been tracking our phones, so mom bought us a secret phone so we can call you. It's a secret though so don't tell dad about it, ok?" He put his finger up to his lip.

"I promise." Riane didn't understand why her father didn't want her talking to her brother, but she never did understand the man.

"Mom says that you are going to get married and you are living with him. Is that true?" He asked with worry in his voice.

"His name is Julian." She turned the camera to the man sitting beside her. "Say hi to my brother, Rusty, Julian."

Julian waved his hand, "Hey, Rusty. Nice to finally meet you. Your sister has told me a great deal about you."

Rusty didn't return the pleasantries and frowned at the man. "He's too skinny. Mom says he is smart."

Riane laughed at her brother's reply like he was looking at a dog he wanted to adopt instead of another human being. She turned the camera back to her. "He isn't that skinny, and he is super smart. He doesn't even have to go to his classes and he gets all high marks."

"What is his major?" Rusty was sounding more like a worried father then her little brother. It was obvious he was looking for a reason to hate Julian.

"He hasn't really picked one, yet." She explained.

He rolled his eyes, "Dad says that people who go to college without a major in mind are just slackers."

She giggled at his comment, "Dad also says you aren't allowed to call me and yet here were are on the phone together."

"Do you like him?" Rusty asked.

"I like him."

Another comment that would make Julian smile.

"Do you love him?" He pressed further.

Both hearts sitting side by side began to beat harder in fear of what answer would spill from her lips. Julian's smile disappeared and Riane tried desperately not to look towards him.

"Nosy brat." It was the only answer she could come up with in that moment. "Mind your own love life."

He smirked, "What are you doing in Hawaii?"

"Well, we rent a beach house and we have gone scuba diving. We are eating all sorts of yummy foods. One of my friends wasn't feeling good today so we just laid out on the beach doing absolutely nothing."

"Did she wear sunscreen?" She heard Deidra say off camera.

Riane continued to smile, "Yes, tons of sunscreen. A new application every hour just like you warned me over and over again."

"She says yes." Rusty told his mother and gave her a side glance like he was annoyed that she had interrupted.

"Do you want to see the beach house?" She asked and stood from the blanket as her brother answer that he did. Running up the stairs, she introduced her brother to Seth and Emma. She then spent another hour talking to her brother on the couch after she showed him around.

Deidra and Russell arrived home during that time, and he spent his time in his bedroom chatting with her.

It was soon his bedtime and he handed the phone over to Deidra so he could brush his teeth, but made them promise not to hang up until she could tell him a bedtime story.

-***-

"Hey, baby girl." Deidra smiled, "It's so good to see you happy. I have been worried sick, but your father says that he doesn't want contact so you can grow on your own. He says no security blanket for you. I just could let that happen to Rusty."

She tried to hold back her tears once more. "Thanks, Deidra. I really appreciate you doing this. I missed you both so much."

Deidra also had to hold back tears, "Anything for you. Oh, I hear Rusty calling. Time for us to do a bedtime story."

The night had fallen over the beach house and a blanket of stars appeared in the sky, but inside the living room the only light was that of a small lamp next to the couch. It had been left by whomever had deposited her there.

Slowly opening her eyes, she realized how drunk she had been and how drunk she still had to be. There was no hangover for the moment and therefore she hadn't been asleep that long. Just enough to be drunk still but not passed out.

Sitting up from the couch, she noticed the glass of water on her coffee table with a note that told her to drink water. She grabbed it and gulped it down.

Her plan hadn't worked. She had wanted to get "drunk" with everyone and then fall asleep on the couch. However, Riane did not want to drink which made Julian announce he wouldn't drink if his girl didn't.

The plan to sleep with a drunk Julian disappeared before her eyes. She had tried time and again to get Riane to drink anything, but Riane told her she wasn't interested in doing so tonight. She had thought to pour alcohol into Riane's soda when she wasn't looking, but even she couldn't go as far as to basically drug another person.

Not that secretly getting her drunk would get Julian any closer to drinking. It had been a desperate thought in a moment of plotting.

The more she realized her plan would not work, the more she drank until she had completely blacked out.

Tears formed in her eyes as her drunk mind thought about how pitiful she had been the last couple of days. Feelings of anger, remorse, and bitterness filled her soul both for herself and simultaneously for Riane.

She couldn't tell anymore who she was angry with, but she knew humiliation when she felt it. They couldn't even let her sleep on the couch like she had planned, even if Julian was sober and wouldn't sleep with her. They couldn't even be that considerate? No, they had to drag her drunk body all the way home and tossed her on the couch.

Finding her purse on the couch with her, she pulled out her cellphone and looked through all her contacts when she finally settled on a name.

She hit the call button and listened for the ringing, when there was no answer she called again. Three more times she did this until there was finally an answer.

"Adonia? What the hell? Do you know how late it is?" Blake snapped as he had to drag himself out of bed to collect the phone in the basket by his front door.

"They are being so mean to me!" She immediately began bawling her eyes out. "Julian told me he hates me."

Blake took a deep breath and immediately recognized a drunk person when he heard it. His father had a habit of getting too deep in the cup and calling him to tell him how much he loved him. "You weren't invited. Why would they have any reason to be nice to you?"

She continued to whale and then sniffle, "I am their...friend! I am Riane's fr-friend. She broke us up. She should be considerate of that!"

Walking around the couch, he tossed himself onto it knowing this wouldn't be a short conversation. "I broke us up. Riane had nothing to do with it."

Realizing this might not be garnering the sympathy she wanted, she decided to hit him where it hurt. If he wouldn't be kind to her then he would join her in her frustrations. "Riane and Julian were making out on the beach last night."

Blake was quiet for a moment, but she knew she could feel the tension over the line. "I see. Well, I guess they really are a couple now."

"They were holding hands and tickling each other." She hiccuped. "I wonder if they are sleeping together now."

Blake could see through this attempt now and frowned. He decided whatever she said couldn't be trusted and he would have to take it for what it was. A angry drunk trying to pull him in. "Adonia, if you are so unhappy there, why don't you come home?"

Realizing he wouldn't be joining her, Adonia switch back to her guilt mode. "I am all alone here. Please, come out here!"

"You know I don't like traveling too far from home." He sighed as he became more annoyed by this conversation.

"You are so cruel. Please, I beg you. Fly out here!" She started to sob again. "I am so alone, Blake. Come out here."

Gathering as much patience as he could, he spoke calmly. "I already told you that I don't want to do that. Why don't you cut your trip short and come home? I can hang out with you here."

"If you come out here, you can get Riane all to yourself." Her words were slightly slurred, but for the most part she talked clearly enough. "Riane broke us up. I am not going to stop until Julian and Riane break up too."

Blake continued to frown and attempt to hide his annoyance. "I am not interested in revenge plots or plots to break up another couple, Adonia. Besides, I am the one that lied about my feelings for Riane to both you and myself... and possibly Riane as well. If you want to get even with someone then get even with me."

She scoffed, "Of course, you would take all the blame for yourself in order to protect her. Everyone is always protecting her."

"I am sorry that you feel I never protected you. Multiple girlfriends have told me similar and when the same thing happens to you over and over you have to accept that you are the problem not them." He was trying to talk her down. "Please, Adonia, come home. This isn't who you really are and I think if we could just talk, we..."

"I told her." She admitted sinisterly.

Blake was silent for a moment. "You told who what?"

She chuckled, "I told Riane you are in love with her. You should have seen the look on her face, but then that very night she was making out with Julian. I guess she doesn't care anymore." There was a long silence on his end that made Adonia think he had hung up on her. Desperately she spoke into her phone. "Hello? Are you there? Blake?"

"That is...that wasn't your secret to tell, Adonia. I can't believe what kind of person a break up turns you into. I understand being mad at me. Hell, I had ex-girlfriends do some pretty fucked up shit after we broke up. Keying my car or slapping me or spreading rumors, but you have gone off the fucking deep end."

She had rarely ever heard him cuss before and it took her off guard.

He stood from his couch and put his free hand on his hip. "You know, after you made me admit my feelings for Riane. I thought you were an exceptionally good person. You didn't want it to end until I was honest with myself, but now I realize you were just doing it for fodder. Proof was needed that your hate was well placed. Well, good for you, Adonia. You are all alone in Hawaii with a bunch of people that don't want you there and a plan that sounds like is blowing up in your face. By the way, I will let Riane know of this conversation and what you are planning. So, I suggest packing up and getting on a plane, because there will be no welcome mat for you tomorrow."

The line went dead and Adonia sat in darkness still holding the phone to her ear. Slowly, she lowered it and looked at the picture of Blake on her phone before turning it off.

Swallowing, she stood up and headed down the stairs to brush her teeth and change into her pajamas. If he followed through on his threat, there would be no more plans. Even if she had promised to leave tomorrow.

After she was ready for bed, she wrote herself a note to remind her of what Blake had threatened to do. At the end, she wrote, "Go home."

-***-

As soon as Joe and Dalen returned from Adonia, Julian was quick to steal Riane away from the group. He didn't even tell the others where they were going as he had been waiting all evening to steal her. She refused to leave with him because she didn't want to leave Seth and Emma alone, because it would be rude.

He had sat on the couch, checking his time on his phone, and bouncing his leg in either excitement or nervousness. It wasn't clear. More than once, he got up to find out what was taking them so long, but Riane got him to sit down and wait.

Finally, as they walked together on the empty beach, they were all alone. Her hand was in his own and he could just be with her as the sand poured in between their toes as they walked. A light smile appeared on his face as they moved together in silence.

Julian could scarcely believe his good fate in this trip. Had Adonia not showed up in an attempt to ruin everything, it could have taken him weeks or months more until Riane admitted what he already knew was true. They liked each other. He dared to even think he loved her, but knew not to say such words out loud.

He could see the hesitation in her eyes at times when he laid it on too thick, but he was trying his best to show her he was sincere. He didn't care if the whole world thought him a fool. He wanted his anxiety ridden love to see his true heart even if that metaphorically meant ripping it out and showing it to her.

Never in all his life had he cared this deeply or put in so much thought for another. He couldn't explain how he went from wanting to make her life miserable to begging her to let him hold her hand.

Even when he made the threats to make her leave, he didn't really mean them. Maybe he was already in love in those moments. It certainly was in place by the time the two of them started trying to break up Blake and Adonia. He didn't really want to end their relationship, he just wanted to spend more time with Riane, even though he didn't understand it in the moment.

When did this love begin? Was it when they were passing time behind the gym? Was it when he would video chat with her to help her with her homework? Was it after she moved in? Was it the first time she smiled at him even when he thought she was a boy?

He remembered that day so clearly. Someone he tormented to no end was crying and hadn't noticed him. He could have done anything in that moment. He could have said spiteful words or scared the boy away, but instead he started a conversation with him. Something he would have never done but that day he felt like company.

The boy's company meant a great deal to him. Seth and Dalen were close and even though he considered him the leader of the group, they weren't his best friends. That title belonged to each other and he was seeing a closeness in the boy he couldn't get anywhere else. He dared to believe that the boy was becoming his best friend.

The boy became a girl and his heart was shattered. Betrayal filled him with rage, but it was never really an anger he could feed from. It was fleeting as much as he wanted to hold on to it, he couldn't be mad at his best friend.

He wanted to continue to pretend she was a boy, but he could see what that did to Blake. No, Riane was not Ryan. She was a girl and his best friend. She still was. His best friend was his girlfriend and nothing could bring a smile to his face faster then to think of that.

He loved this skinny girl that could eat anything she wanted and never gain a single ounce. This girl who could go out without doing her hair or make-up and not seem bothered. How she managed to pull that off, but still worry about crowds was beyond him.

However, he got over trying to figure out her anxiety and making it rational. It was irrational and only she could tell him the rules.

She didn't bother him like other people did. She could tell him off and he wouldn't get angry. Instead, he would happily take the slight as a sign she cared or knew him well.

Riane stopped walking and turned towards him with a deep frown. "I am uneasy about this whole thing."

He looked confused for a moment, "You mean the trip?"

Slowly, she shook her head, "No, us being us." She motioned between them.

A dark panic began to take root in his gut, but he told himself to remain calm until he had all the facts. "Why?"

She sighed audibly as if she was frustrated by the question. "I don't feel the same way about you as you do about me. You are excited to see me every morning, and for me you are just part of my day."

"Of course, I am excited to see you. I had been waiting all night." He tried to smile but it never became full because of the agony on her face.

"That is what I am talking about. I don't wait all night to see you."

He stared at her for a moment, "Then what do you do?"

"Live my life. Sleep. Nothing at all." Riane didn't know if this was her trying to break up with him or not, but she wanted him to know the truth about how she felt. "I didn't even know I liked you until Adonia butted in."

The panic in his gut melted away. She admitted to liking him. She wasn't breaking up with him. He was chanting her words in his head over and over again. "Then I should send Adonia a thank you card. Maybe some nice flowers or chocolates."

Riane looked annoyed at those words. "This isn't a joking matter."

He continued to grin. She said she liked him. "So, you just figured out what I had been saying all along. Don't beat yourself up over it and have fun with me here instead. Maybe then you'll find a reason to wait for me all night."

"And if I don't?" She asked with sincere worry in her voice and her large eyes stared into his own as if she was truly scared.

He swallowed and began to look like a kicked puppy. His voice shook slightly as he spoke. "Then just pretend until it becomes real."

Riane stepped forward and place a gentle kiss on his lips. She couldn't stand to see him looking at her like she had just stabbed him in the heart. When she tried to pull away, Julian's lips followed her own and he nearly tipped over as he continued to plant his feet in the very spot she had kissed him. It caused her to chuckle.

Normally, he would have gotten angry at someone laughing at his clumsiness, but anything that made her laugh was well worth any humiliation he received.

Reaching out he pulled her in for a hug. His arms wrapped around her shoulders and she held him at his waist. Kissing the top of her head, he looked out on the dark waves crashing on the beach. Only the lights of the beach houses brightened their way, and he knew they would soon have to head back to their own home.

However, for right now, he just wanted it to be the two of them. The rest of the world be damned.

Riane laid her head on his chest and could hear his heart beat. She felt comfortable in the warmth of his embrace which was unusual for her. She didn't really like anyone touching her, but Julian had gotten a pass. She didn't know when it had been given, but it was probably something Julian just took. He made everything else comfortable for her so why wouldn't his touch be the same.

"You said you liked me." He said sheepishly and chuckled.

Stepping away from his arms, she teasingly punched him in the arm. "That's what you took away from that conversation?"

"It's a really important piece of information." He justified himself.

Riane rolled her eyes. "Idiot."

She went to step away and head back to the house, but Julian grabbed her hand and stopped her from walking away. She turned to tell him it was time to head back, and when she did his lips pressed against her own. Suddenly, she forgot what she had wanted to say.

Next Chapter: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=499

Leave comments for this chapter at: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=490