Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 40: Most Enthusiastic

After the university had sent everyone that wanted to go home back to their families, it seemed as if it would only be the Unmentionables. For the first couple of days, that was true, but eventually girls from the school began to appear after seeking permission from their parents. It was truly a sight for the weary dorm mates to see a constant filter of able backs.

The old dorm was gone after a week of hard labor. There was nothing remaining of it as it had fallen and then been broken down piece by piece. Remus took the wood and had given it to the poorer members of society for firewood. Though the Mondue guards had been asking questions about all the wood coming in and out of the university, however one visit from Lenore and they no longer questioned anyone.

The one person that was the most enthusiastic was not Ophelia, but Santh. He was the hardest worker and never seemed to take a moment's rest. Everyone was not entirely certain what to make of the large Mondue who actually smiled as he carried the large chunks of lumber around the court. He would unload carts and hum songs under his breath. Though if one asked him about any of his habits, he would immediately return to his brooding self and deny he had done any such thing, only to start humming and smiling as he walked away. It was, as if, he had no idea that such behavior was coming from his person.

Lenore and Remus stood overlooking the plans they had spread across the table, though their eyes were on the Mondue in the distance. The girls that had come to help giggled and chatted with Santh as he unloaded the latest cart of lumber, before he would leave once more to bring in another load.

Santh was speaking to them and would even offer them a grin from time to time. This behavior had the two leaders of this operation stumped. Ophelia was caring for the curtains and bed sheets, while Jolon and Anton argued over how the roof should be handled though their bickering was being held deep in the woods. This meant that only Remus and Lenore were witnessing the phenomenon.

"I... I..." Remus stuttered. "In all the years that I have known Santh, I have never known him to attempt to impress girls. I can honestly say with certainty that this is the first time he has ever been known to try. Even when he brought girls into his bed, it was more or less a dull woman throwing herself at him because she thought she could change him. Heal him, even."

Lenore looked from the Mondue to Remus, and chuckled. "He is doing an inspirational job though. Not only are our volunteers thoroughly impressed and swooning with adoration, but so am I."

The merchant grinned at her words. "I wonder what has happened to my friend that for the first time in his life, he seems genuinely pleasant." A thought came to his mind, "You do not suppose this will make him soft during the tournaments? I can not afford for him to lose."

She grinned as the sound of wood being tossed about echoed around the court. "I can not imagine Santh becoming soft. Perhaps, he is just enjoying the attention of all the ladies for the first time in his life."

Remus shrugged his shoulders and sighed. "Impressing girls. My little boy is all grown up isn't he?"

Lenore shook her head playfully and turned her attention back to the plans that laid out in front of them. "I do hope the garden's flowers do not arrive too early. I doubt we would be able to..."

Remus cocked his head to the side as he drowned out Lenore's voice. His eyes were focused on Santh, who had finished his task and looked towards Lenore but immediately looked saddened as he climbed into the cart and left once more.

"Perhaps, I should have used the singular and said girl." He chuckled to himself.

"Are you listening?" Lenore snapped as she heard him mumbling under his breath.

"No need to snap at me. You are not my wife!" He barked and looked down at the plans. "Though if you would like to lay such plans..."

Lenore creased her nose at the suggestion, before returning to the task at hand.

---***---

Harona had never been to the Unmentionable's dorm area before and therefore she had been fearful walking down the dirt path alone. Amongst the girls in her dorm, there were rumors of murder and rape occurring within the walls of the old dorm lost in the woods. She didn't know how much of that was true, and how much was used to keep girls from anyone who might live within the dorm.

After all, anyone who lived in the dorm was often the target of cruel tricks and vile rumors. Not even the princess herself was able to escape whispered lies that the populace would take and turn into the truth as much as one could. She had heard rumors that this years group had orgies and sacrificed animals. Princess Lenore was supposedly the head priestess of these rituals. Though Harona didn't believe them as she walked toward the dirt court, she couldn't help but think of them as she grew closer.

Once she made it into the open, a weight was lifted from her heart as she saw so many other females assisting in the building of the dorm. There were makeshift beds in the nearby woods using only folded blankets, and clothes were hung about the area to dry. Dust was heavy in the air so dense that it smelled like dirt throughout the area as the frame for the new dorm was being cut by what she assumed to be Jolon.

The entire area was boiling over with activity though there was hardly any talking amongst the group as they worked together. Princess Lenore and Remus stood near a table and they looked to be deep in a heated discussion, but Harona could not set her eyes on the man she had come all this way to see.

"Lady Brenem?"

A gentle voice spoke to her and she turned her attention to the kind faced woman who approached her. "Lady Romanus." She smiled at her old friend.

The two had not spoken to each other since her father was deemed a traitor as her parents had forbidden it.

Ophelia smiled. "Why are you here?"

She swallowed, "I, uh, well." Stuttering in this manner would simply not do, so Harona took a deep breath and gathered her thoughts. "I have come to help. I apologize for being late, but it took some convincing before my parents allowed it."

A wide smile and a look of joy crossed Ophelia's face. "Truly, you have come to help?"

She nodded, as another woman approached Ophelia and stood at her side.

"A new worker?" The strange woman asked Ophelia.

Ophelia nodded, "This is Lady Harona Brenem. Her family is watching over the fortress for my family until I finish university."

Harona didn't appreciate that introduction. "I wouldn't say my family is watching it for you, Ophelia. I would believe that my parents are hoping that you fail and they remain the watchers for all time."

Ophelia merely grinned lightly before turning to the girl next to her. "This is Saena Ailca. She was a servant here, but she will be joining us in our studies next year."

"A pleasure." Harona spoke genuinely. "Um, I must confess something." She looked toward Ophelia. "I actually came for Anton."

Both the girls before her had widened their eyes at the statement, before they turned to each other with a giggle.

"Anton is in town right now assisting in bringing in more lumber. He should return soon enough, why don't you help Saena and I with sewing the curtains while we wait?" Ophelia motioned for her to follow.
Harona gave a nod, before following behind them.

---***---

Routine had stayed behind to assist in the building of the dorm under Lenore's partial request and partial orders. She had given him the illusion that he had a choice in the matter, but he knew fully well, just by looking in her eyes, that she wouldn't accept the answer of no. Of course, he did very little to help and spent most of the time hiding away from the loud construction in the library.

No one seemed to mind that he disappeared for the majority of the day, and they only came to him with matters that a Souchan could deal with. Such as paper work that needed to be filled out and filed in order to continue the construction. Though, the guards were allowing the supplies to be brought in, they did harass them from time to time in order to get paper work done as did some of the Souchans who had stayed behind to run and organize the filling rooms.

As he entered the library on this particular day, there was no one on staff at the front desk as was usual during the long break period. The library was normally silent, but when there were other students one could hear their breathing and movements, but it was as if Routine had become the last human being on the planet. He enjoyed nothing more than entering the library during breaks and gaining that experience.

Moving to his usual table, he slowed his walk as he found another sitting in his chair behind the bookcases of scrolls and books. It was hidden away in the corner and usually no one sat in that area.

Approaching the person, he lifted an eyebrow as he recognized the man. "Dalton Vinson." Routine spoke his name as he came to stand beside him.

Dalton looked up at Routine with eyes that reminded him of Lenore's and he frowned. "Byron Nicoletti."

Routine took a deep breath and sat across from the man. "Your absence has been noted during study groups. Saena informs me that it is arduous to master her studies without a partner."

The Vinson across from him seemed to take a couple moments to think over his words. "I do not need to go any longer. My marks are fine."

A mocking laugh escaped Routine's lips. "I would disavow such a son that accepted marks such as yours as adequate."

Dalton took a breath before looking up from his scroll to meet eyes with Routine. "Well, then it is lucky that you are not my father and lucky for me that my marks are passing. Next year, my sister will be attending and I will be able to mentor her. That is good enough for me."

Pressing his lips together, Routine could tell that the man in front of him was dealing with some issue that he was trying to hide. "Were you taunted for visiting us? I hear that is a social normality, which is why few bother to befriend members of our dorm."

Having returned to reading his scroll, Dalton stopped and looked up briefly. "I would not classify it as being taunted." He thought for a moment as he didn't know whether or not he should speak the truth, or how much of the truth should be told.
Routine remained patient.

"Someone has been coming to me after studying with you in order to get information about the on goings of that dorm. Someone that is powerful enough to harm my family if I were to lie to them, and therefore I have stopped going and told the person that I was asked to leave."

The Souchan looked at the man for a moment. "Is it the Prince? My sister is to be his bride and she seems to have some sway in his decisions."

Dalton gathered his items together and stood up quickly. "It is not the Prince." He answer before tossing the scroll he was reading on the shelf and hurrying away.

Routine leaned back in his chair. He had heard from Lenore that Dalton had chosen to stay over the break in order to study, but he wondered if his decision may have had something to do with this mysterious person as well.

Deciding that he could do nothing to solve this issue now, Routine pulled out his books and began to study himself. The long break was only so long and he felt he was already far behind schedule.

---***---

Ophelia brought the curtains over to Lenore who was standing by the table with the plans. She had waited until Remus had walked away before she approached, and with a smile held them up.

"Well, do you think the girls will be pleased?" She asked the Princess.

Lenore looked at the dark pink curtains and gave a nod. "Are you using that color for the downstairs as well?"

"Oh, no. I went with a traditional blue. I thought it would help new members realize which rooms are male oriented and which are female." She smiled brightly.

The dorms would be two stories with the upstairs for the females and the bottom for males. Lenore did not approve of this decision because she felt more females would come to the dorms as third years than male commoners. However, it was an argument that she had lost to Remus who thought more male commoners might come because of this, and to Ophelia who enjoyed the design aspect of it. Lenore decided that if she was right then some females would just have to have blue curtains, and sleep on the first floor.

There were ten rooms on both floors, and each room could hold comfortably two or three and uncomfortably four or five. Jolon was building two sets of bunk beds for each room. The new dorm was much bigger than the old dorm and would expend into the woods a bit as well as take up some of the dirt court. Jolon also had plans to build a gazebo for studying in the garden, though most had wondered if there would be any room.

"Lenore, do you..." Remus stopped speaking when he noticed that Ophelia was standing beside her. He cleared his throat for a moment before continuing to speak. "Ah, do you know when Santh and Anton left? They should be returning shortly, shouldn't they?"

The Princess shrugged, "They do seem to be taking longer than usual, but we were able to send someone for our lunch. I would assume the two stopped somewhere for food before heading back. That donkey is pretty stubborn as well."

Remus barely heard anything she said as he stared at Ophelia holding the curtain with her eyes down turned. "Oh, alright." He said before walking away.

Ophelia swallowed loudly beside her friend.

"You will be here for another two years. Remus and you will have to live side by side like this if things go according to plan. You need to make yourself comfortable around him because he is not going anywhere." Lenore informed her firmly.

She gave a gentle nod. "I know, but it's so difficult. One day we were strangers, the next just friends, following that we were in love, and now it feels like we are strangers again."

"Well, the good thing about that circle is it means just friends is next again." Lenore pat her friend on the shoulder and gave a brief grin.

Ophelia sucked on her bottom lip for a moment, and decided she no longer wanted to talk about herself and Remus. "What about you and Santh? You haven't so much as cursed his name since that day. Aren't you going to forgive him?"

Lenore snorted, "He doesn't want forgiveness. He wants me to leave him alone and stay out of his life, and I am doing just as he has asked."

"Doesn't seem like he spoke the truth. He keeps looking over at you as if needing your approval, but you are never looking at him when he does it." Ophelia chuckled.

The Princess slowly shook her head, "Trust me, Ophelia. He spoke very bluntly about how he wanted things to be between us, and I am not one to impose myself where I am not wanted. Leave it alone."

"If you say so." Ophelia gathered up the curtain and returned to Saena and Harona who were awaiting Lenore's verdict.

---***---

Santh arrived with the last cart of lumber for the day with Anton at his side. As soon as they arrived, Anton made a squeaking noise before jumping from the cart and running over to an unknown woman. He watched the commoner who had a smile on his lips and wondered who that woman could be, before he brought the cart to a stop in the court.

He gave the stubborn donkey a glare as it had been fighting against working all day, and he had wondered where Remus had found the damnable animal. As he thought this, the man on his mind came to stand beside him.

"Last one for today?" Remus asked.

The other students had already moved to their blankets and were preparing to rest for the evening. They had sent several of the girls into the hamlet to gather together their evening meal.

Santh nodded and his eyes went over to Lenore who seemed to be plotting something out on a scroll.

"She and Jolon have been debating the size of the gazebo all day." Remus informed his friend.

Santh said nothing to him as he made his way over to the woman that his eyes continued to watch. As soon as he was near the table, he sat down on the bench and leaned against the table top with his elbow.

"It has been a long day, though you look refreshed as you did this morning." He grinned at his compliment.

Lenore frowned, "I worked just as hard as everyone else!" She snapped and glared at the man sitting beside her.

It took a moment for him to realize that she had taken his compliment in the opposite direction that it was meant. "I only meant that... you... looked... nice."

Her brows came together.

"It was a compliment." He smiled widely.

She did not reply and returned to the work in front of her.

"I brought your favorite pastry, it's in the cart." He stood up and noticed the confused and angry gaze that she offered him.

Lenore stood as she continued to stare at him. "I don't know what you are up to, but stop it." She snatched up the paper she was working on, before heading toward the stream.

Authin sat at the base of a nearby tree as he sewed a patch onto his work pants and chuckled. "Our Princess has certainly been treating you coldly. I wonder what you could have done so wrong that she would turn her back upon her knight in shining armor. Could it be that you made the same mistake as Krius?"

The concerned look on Santh's face quickly melted and he glared at the noble. Authin could see the frustration in his dorm mate's eyes and decided that now was not the time to tease him. Standing up, he held up his hands and walked away before more could come of their conversation.

However, Santh could not deter his two commoner friends. Jolon and Anton approached him with Saena and the unknown woman at their sides.

"I have been curious as to what you did." Jolon watched Lenore disappear into the distance. "She isn't one to hold a grudge at least not for long."

Anton nodded. "It has been strange not hearing the two of you bicker."

Santh wanted to tell them to remove themselves from his business, but instead a different set of words poured out. "I said something that I did not mean."

The group of four next to him looked between each other as Santh stared at the plans on the table.

"Have you apologized?" The unknown woman finally asked.

The large Mondue glared at the woman. "Who are you to give me advice?"

"Harona Brenem." She smiled, "Souchan Party."

He frowned deeply at her before standing up and moving back to the cart that needed to be unloaded.

"Don't concern yourself too much with him. He is always snapping at someone." Anton tried to comfort the confused woman.

---***---

Anton walked beside Harona toward the stream. He did not know why he felt compelled to stay by her side, but upon his return when he had spotted her near Ophelia, he had felt his heart lighten slightly. He had not been exactly pleasant towards her their first few meetings, but she had smiled at him warmly when he had come to greet her.

Everyone had finished work for the day and dinner would soon arrive, so Harona wanted to wash her face. He had offered to take her to the stream and he watched as she leaned down and splash the cool water on her face.

"It's unfortunate that I arrived so late today and couldn't work as much as everyone else." Harona said as she stood up and was handed a small towel by Anton.

He shrugged, "I am certain everyone is satisfied with the extra back." He sighed as she finished washing her face and noticed some of her hairs were now stuck to her forehead. "You probably shouldn't have come."

She looked confused by his words, "You say two different things with the same mouth in the same breath." She chuckled. "Do not worry. I came for my own reasons as well, not just to see you. I was part of Lenore's protests, I worked very hard and failed along side my sisters in arms. If it weren't for this dorm, I would not be able to return for a third year and therefore I need to work to build them and not just take it for granted that it will be here next year."

"Why do you wish to continue after two years? What do you gain?" Anton asked as he took the wet towel from her.

"An education." She explained. "My parents will not allow me to return unless this dorm is built, but I think the reason they wanted me to continue my education is in order to influence the King."

He raised an eyebrow, "Influence the King?"

She nodded, "My parents do not wish to lose the Watcher's Fortress. I believe that their plan is if Ophelia has four years in University then my having it could not harm our cause. Of course, had I been born male or Ophelia, I believe they would have engaged us long ago."

He didn't know what to make of what this woman was saying, and instead watched as the soft breeze blew her hair.

Harona smiled. "As for me, I have no intention of keeping the Fortress within my family. I would much prefer to carve my own path, and that requires an education more expansive then two years provide." She sighed heavily.

"I see." Anton had no other words for her, though he liked to hear that Harona wanted to make her own way.

"My parents were forbidden from destroying any Romanus history in the Fortress, therefore no matter what corner you turn there is a portrait of some past Watcher staring at you. Their ancient eyes judging you for taking a place in their line without earning it." She shivered, "When I was a child, I loved running around those halls, but without Ophelia running beside me, it makes me feel like some thief stalking their halls."

Anton looked over his shoulder as he watched the girl's return from the market. Without the dorm in place, one could see from the stream all the way to the court.

"It appears our meals have arrived." He told her.

She gave a nod, "Oh, I had almost forgotten!" She looked at him with a smile on her face once more. "If I didn't return for my third year, how would I ever earn more time to win you over?" With those words, she hurried toward the crowd in the distance.

Shaking his head, Anton didn't know what to make of the woman but she was amusing if nothing else.

---***---

Ophelia sat by herself on a blanket under the tree as she ate the meat stuffed bun that the girls had brought back. The bun was sticky and tasted too sweet to go with the savory meat inside, but it was all there was to eat and therefore she had no choice. Using her fingers she picked out the meat in hopes of removing the innards and then eating the bun separately.

Around her other girls had formed groups to eat with one another, and Lenore sat at the table in the distance while Harona and Saena had disappeared with the commoners. The Princess too seemed disappointed with the buns but was too gracious to appear displeased. Ophelia smiled as she watched the Princess take small bites followed by a drink of water. She never frowned but it was obvious enough that Lenore did not find the buns favorable. Sometimes she forgot that her friend was a princess well trained in etiquette, but without meaning to she would remind her.

"Why are you eating alone?" Remus asked as he came up beside her.

Ophelia's heart beat loudly in her chest when she made eye contact with him. "I just... I need some time by myself. Long day."

He nodded his head and then looked around as if he was trying to figure out how to walk away gracefully. "Uh, well, then I should... leave you to it."

"Oh, I didn't mean... I mean I did... but it wasn't..." She had no idea how to talk to him anymore and she stopped speaking all together as she swallowed.

"Ophelia, I need to go into town and turn in this order before the store closes." Authin walked over to her. "I am not familiar with that side of town, could you assist me?"

Seeing an exit from Remus' presence, Ophelia jumped to her feet. "Certainly!" She tossed the remaining bun on her blanket and decided she would buy something while in town.

Following closely behind Authin, Ophelia looked briefly over her shoulder when she remembered that she hadn't said goodbye, but Remus had already moved away from her blanket. He was preparing to sit with a group of girls that she had seen flirting with him earlier that day.

Authin came to a stop at the flower court just outside the path. He turned to her and smiled, "You do not have to go all the way." He informed her. "I thought you looked uncomfortable." Authin chuckled, "It must have been truly painful if you were willing to follow me out here by yourself."

Ophelia seemed to remember who she was with in those moments and her eyes widened. "Oh."

He continued to chuckle, "Why don't you sit over there for a bit and I'll be back shortly."

She slowly shook her head, "I abandoned my dinner to come out here in hopes that I could buy something in town."

"Those buns were terrible, weren't they?" Authin began to walk and she hurried to catch up to him. "It was not the proper use of a sweet and savory mix. In fact, I do not have to turn this order in until tomorrow, but I wanted some form of food. After working as hard as we did, I think we deserve more than disgusting buns."

"The other girls seemed to like it." She curled her lip as they walked passed the guards and into the hamlet.

"I suppose that when I am forced to choose a wife, I'll have them taste those buns that way I'll know which women have taste." He said jokingly.

Ophelia noticed that he had allowed her to change the subject from Remus to the buns, and she wondered if he had done so on purpose. She couldn't believe that Authin was a truly nice man not after what had happened, but she couldn't deny that he had done something nice for her.

"Shall we stop for a drink along the way?" He looked at the woman standing next to him that looked unsure. "Just one and I'll pay. It'll buy you time away from the camp." She continued to look timid. "We will be in a crowd, what could I possibly do?"

"I suppose one drink couldn't hurt."

Authin clasped his hand on her shoulder, "I hear you are a mead girl. Funny, I would have pegged you as one for sweet wines. Where I come from we make a wine from peaches. It's too sweet for my liking."

Ophelia walked beside him as he spoke of wines and her thoughts of Remus slowly vanished as Authin filled her head with nonsense. It was one of the few moments she remembered being happy since the day Remus and her fell apart.

---***---

Santh made his way over to the table where Lenore was sitting and rolling her neck. He had watched her eat her bun without any satisfied look and his mind went to the pastry he had brought back with him. After his failed attempt to speak to her earlier, he had wondered if he should even bother now, but it would bother him until she received the gift he had brought to her.

For over an hour, he had called himself names like coward as he would approach her and then retreat quickly. She didn't seem to notice his failed approaches as she worked on something in a scroll, though she had balled it up a couple of times and started fresh.

He knew that it was getting late in the evening and some of the workers had already fallen asleep. Taking a deep breath, he sat across the table from her and slid the pastry across the table in the small sack.

Lenore looked at the sack and then up to him with an expression that asked what he was doing.

"That pastry..." He paused for a moment. "I brought you."

Her eyes continued to look into his own as if she was trying to figure out exactly what the man before her was up to this time.

"Dinner was disappointing. I thought you would want it now." He tried to hide the fact that his throat was drying up. "It's your favorite."

"Are you feverish?" Lenore asked him finally. "Has all this hard work damaged your brain?"

He opened his mouth to speak but he couldn't imagine how he could answer such condescending questions.

"That is the only reason that I can muster up as to why you have been acting so strangely lately. Flirting with the girls and offering me cookies. Return to ignoring me as usual, I was growing very comfortable with that." She snapped before looking back down at her scroll.

"It's a pastry not cookies." Santh mumbled under his breath and felt slightly defeated. He thought about walking away, but decided to endure this a little longer. Even if she was being cruel to him at the very least she was speaking to him.

After a moment, Lenore looked back up from the scroll to find Santh was still watching her. "What are you doing now?"

"Waiting for you to finish and eat the pastry." He responded.

"What is with you and this damn pastry?" Lenore growled. "I don't want this thing."

"Lenore," Ophelia approached with Authin close behind her. The two were just returning from running their errand. "he is giving you a peace offering, and you are flatly rejecting it."

The Princess looked down at the sack once more and then stood from the table. "I am going to wash up for bed." She announced before heading toward the stream.

Santh grabbed the pastry and stared at it in his hand before he looked up to find Ophelia was still standing over him. "I had thought you decided to stop championing me."

Ophelia smirked, "How can I not when you look like the cutest lost puppy? All he wants is for the pretty lady to take him home, and she is being so cold to him."

A deep frown came upon his lips. "I am not a puppy."

The deeper his frown became the more wide her grin would become, and she chuckled. "Not just any puppy, Santh. The cutest puppy, Lenore's puppy." Reaching out her hand as he glared at her, Ophelia pinched his cheek.

A look of surprise came over him that someone would dare do such a thing when he seemed ready to kill.

Authin remained behind Ophelia and laughed, "She had a couple drinks. Come, Ophelia. It's time for bed."

"Ah, alright. Night, night, little puppy." She waved as Authin walked her away and towards her blankets that were laying on the ground near by.

---***---

Saena and Jolon sat near the stream quietly as Lenore stormed passed them with a towel in hand. They both looked curiously at each other before returning to their silent moment together. They had come down here to wash up but had ended up sitting down to talk though it trailed off after a time.

"This is really happening." Saena said as she looked toward where the foundation was being expanded and where Jolon had begun to cut the wood for the frame.

He nodded, "I hope so. I am rather tired of sleeping under a canopy with a bunch of other men who make sounds I would rather not name while unconscious."

She giggled, "I have many brothers and I share an area in the loft with them."

"Then you understand." He chuckled before reaching out his hand and laying it on top of her own. "Are you worried?"

Saena took a deep breath and nodded her head, "Very much so." She thought for a moment and was happy that Jolon didn't bombard her with questions as to why she was worried. "I will have to take the admittance test soon. They say that they grade commoners more harshly than the others, and I am the lowest of the commoners. I wonder if no matter how well I do that maybe they will fail me. All this work that I have put into studying for this day, and it will come down to my social circle."

Jolon frowned, "I was able to take the test and pass quite easily."

"You are not servant, Jolon. Your father is a Guild Master. I know that you and Anton are seen as commoners among these Royals, Souchans, and Mondues but for a servant girl like myself you are practically royalty." She sighed as she looked out over the stream. "Do you realize how beyond my reach you are?"

"Until you attend this school, and then that won't be true." He assured her. "You also have to remember that there are many important people here in this dorm. The Merchant's Guild's future master, the entire Souchan Party's future Master, the heir to the Watcher's Fortress, and the damn Princess of the entire country. We know some pretty powerful people that call us friend." He chuckled as he realized for the first time the truth about his dorm mates.

Saena grinned, "I suppose so, but even they couldn't ensure that my social standing won't be used against me."

"Since the Souchans are in charge of grading the tests before handing them over to the professors, perhaps we can have Routine ensure that your marks are fairly judged."

She shook her head, "He has already done so much for me. I can not ask for more."

Jolon snorted, "It is because he has worked so hard to help you that he would want to ensure you were graded properly. He can not very well yell at you for failing if you passed but were purposely looked over."

A cool breeze blew over them from off the stream. "It never gets too hot here." Saena said with a sigh as if she was trying to change the subject. "Oh." She looked up at Jolon. "I haven't told my father either. I have no idea how he and the others will react. What if the servants here do terrible things to my food?"

"If that is learned than the servants would lose their jobs here, and as for your father, would you like me to come with you?"

"No," She said with a grin that actually seemed more serious, "I would prefer that my father didn't kill you."

"Fair point." He turned his head as he heard someone marching back up the stream.

Lenore looked like she had just washed her face and held the towel firmly in her grip. She said nothing as she passed the two and marched off toward her blankets.

"She seems rather upset." Saena stared at her.

"Lenore is intense. If she is not laughing, screaming, or fuming then we should worry." He shook his head. "Time for bed, I think."

---***---

Everyone was settling down for the evening and only a couple lanterns were lit near those who remained awake. Lenore was laying on her blankets in between Ophelia and Routine. In his hands was a book that Lenore was reading beside him with her head on his shoulder. Ophelia was studying her own scrolls as she prepared for her third year of classes. All around the area were mostly girls in their own blankets laying on the forest floor. They had cleaned the area as much as they could to make the ground comfortable, and with as many people of higher ranking as they had there had been no complaints about the sleeping arrangements. Everyone was suffering a little to rebuild the dorm.

Remus was laying in his own blankets on his stomach as he went over some numbers on a scroll, where the commoners were nearby each with their female friend. The only sound was that of soft breaths of the hard workers as they dreamed of better days ahead.

That was until a sound of footsteps entered into the area, Santh appeared holding his two blankets. He had been sleeping away from the group the past few days though no one really understood the reason for it. However, even in the poorly lit area one could see a look of determination upon his face. Ophelia smiled up at him and motioned for him to take an empty spot next to her.

The Mondue stared down at her for a moment before reaching down and grabbing the bottom edge of her blanket. Ophelia gasped slightly as he pulled both her blanket and her away from Lenore. When she finally stopped moving she found herself next to Remus, who also looked surprised by his friend's actions.

Santh quickly moved to lay his blankets out next to Lenore, who had stopped reading to stare wide eyed at the man. He got comfortable in his blankets and without saying a word to her turned his back and fell asleep.

Lenore looked up at Ophelia, who grinned and shrugged her shoulders. She wanted to get mad at Santh for dragging her away from her friend, but on the same token she was too amused by his sudden antics.

Routine didn't seem to take any notice of this and continued to read and as he turned the page Lenore was quick to jump back into the reading as she replaced her head on his shoulder.

Once everyone settled down, Ophelia realized that she was laying next to Remus and it seemed from his uncomfortable expression that he had realized it at the same time.

"That was unexpected." Ophelia whispered as softly as she could to Remus in order to end the silence between them.

A slight grin appeared on his face and they both had to prevent themselves from laughing as they didn't wish to wake the others.

"It seems our friend has made a final decision." Remus shook his head as he continued to laugh on his stomach, but looked toward the now snoring Santh.

"Well, he fell asleep quickly." Ophelia seemed almost impressed.

"It's one of his talents." He jested. "I once witnessed him fall asleep standing in a corner with his head on the wall."

Ophelia giggled, "Truly?"

"Yes. The dark brooding pulls the girls into his arms, and the ability to fall asleep in the middle of their sentences sends them away." He winked at her.

"Hush." Routine's voice broke into their conversation and they realized that they were talking too loud.

"Sorry." They both spoke in unison and Ophelia quickly laid on her side to prepare to fall asleep.

"Good night, Ophelia." Remus said as he watched her close her eyes and returned his attention to the numbers in front of him.

"Good night, Remus." Ophelia mumbled.

Remus turned his eyes toward the sleeping woman next to him and smiled softly, before deciding that he wouldn't be able to concentrate on his work and turned off his lantern.