Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CH2) Chapter 13: Cold Beer

The week flew by and today would be there last day on vacation. They would spent one last night here and then fly home in the morning.

It was decided that the last day would be couple's day, even though Joe and Dalen had pretty much done that for the entire vacation. Only two of the days had been spent doing group activities. Seth and Emma weren't technically a couple, but they agreed to hang out together and let the couples have their day.

Adonia had left just like she said she would and they hadn't heard anything from her since then. She didn't even come over to say her goodbyes and had simply disappeared into the night. Since the beach house was filled with new guests, they figured she must have turned in her keys and everything was alright.

Sitting around the island, Dalen had made their final breakfast. There was food left in the fridge and cabinets, but they couldn't bring it home with them on the plane. It was decided that they would try to eat as much as possible tonight and leave the rest for the cleaning crew to deal with.

With plates in front of them of sausage, toast with butter and jam, as well as an assortment of fruits, the group ate their breakfast in relative silence.

"What does everyone have planned today?" Emma asked trying to fill the void.

Julian looked somewhat excited, "It's a surprise." He told her with a grin on his lips and his eyes went over to Riane, who rolled her own. "She'll tell you all about it when we get back."

"Alright, what about you, Joe?" Emma had been trying all week to get Joe to have a normal conversation with her, but it unlike their breakfast had been fruitless.

Joe looked up annoyed from her plate, "What does it matter? It's couple's day. We don't need to discuss plans."

Dalen hurried to answer, before Emma could say anything in return. "We are going to spend the day here. We did a lot of activities this week together, and we just want a day that we spend on the beach since everyone else will be gone."

"What about you, Emma?" Riane asked.

She shrugged, "Seth and I want to go around and check out a bunch of the restaurants that we didn't get to try during the week."

"Don't get too filled up. We have lunch together here at noon." Dalen playfully warned them. "I hate being wasteful with all that food."

She grinned, "We will try our best to just sample as much as we can. Most of them are just treat stands we heard about."

"I am sorry you two have to end up together." Riane told them. "Though, it doesn't seem like it is much of a punishment anyway. You two have been hanging out all week."

They both looked bashful for a moment and then continued to eat their meal. Neither one really wanted the others to know their private business until it was official.

Of course, Emma disliked they were showing favoritism towards each other and finally responded. "It's not like we had much of a choice. You and Julian ran off a lot, and Dalen and Joe disappeared for most of the vacation. We had to stick together or be alone in paradise."

"What are you implying?" Joe hissed.

"I am not implying anything. I am just stating a fact." Emma told her with her brows furrowed and tried to swallow down her annoyance.

"Yeah, sorry about that." Riane tried to put an end to any conversation between the two which were begin to grate on her nerves.

There had been tension since they arrived and everyone was very aware of it. It had actually been more fun when Dalen took Joe away then having her around. She made their time spent with her a chore and Riane decided she would have a talk with her once they got home.

She had not only invited Joe to come to Hawaii with her and had her spend most of the time with Dalen, but she was rude to her other guest. This was not like her friend at all and she wanted to know what was going on.

Was she jealous of Emma? If that were true wouldn't she want to spend more time with Riane and not less?

She couldn't figure it out, but she also didn't want to be bothered by Joe at the moment. She spent most of her time away with Dalen and she decided that it was good enough to just not deal with her. In fact, she had asked Dalen to take her somewhere when she was being too much of an ass to Emma and her friend was nearing tears.

"I am done." Joe announced and put her plate in the sink. "Leave your dishes and head out. Dalen and I will take care of them."

"Thanks." Seth said and everyone nodded in agreement.

She wasn't really doing it to be kind, she just wanted everyone to leave so she could start her time with Dalen.

Standing up from his bench, Julian looked at Riane's plate. "Come on, eat faster. I don't want to be late."

"It's only seven in the morning." Riane told him with a mouthful of food. "I won't eat until noon, so I am going to fill up on as much as I can now."

"Yes, please." Dalen jumped into the conversation with a hint of excitement in his voice. "Eat as much as you want."

Julian frowned and whined like a little boy begging his mother. "The appointment is at eight. I don't want to be late."

Riane rolled her eyes in annoyance, "Just wait a second."

"One one hundred. That's one second, let's go." He bounced a little.

Seth and Dalen looked between each other as they both thought about who the hell their friend was right now. He was being such a reversal of himself it was hard to believe this was the same man from a couple weeks ago. The same one who bullied the woman he was now begging to spend time alone with.

"Let her eat, Julian." Joe stood up for her friend. "She's skinny enough as it is without eating too little for breakfast."

Emma smirked, "Yeah, people with fast metabolisms need to eat a lot to get through their day. Let her finish."

Joe didn't like that Emma had helped her, but she decided not to poke at her this time. Though she did offer her a dirty look.

Julian could see the girls ganging up on him and sighed, "Fine, I'll go get everything packed. You hurry up and eat." He ordered before heading down the stairs.

"Man, what is with him?" Seth asked the rhetorical question.

Looking up from her food, Riane shook her head. "He has been excited about this since last night. He kept texting me all night long to see if I was awake and tell me how thrilled he is to be doing this."

"Any idea what you are doing?" Emma asked.

She shook her head, "I have no idea. Whatever it is better be worth losing sleep over for both him and me. Otherwise, I'll kill him."

The group laughed.

"I would have killed him a while ago. He had been a little intense all week." Emma told her with laughter in her voice.

"It's not that bad. He is just happy I agreed to be his girlfriend and I think he is trying to prove himself to me. It'll die down once we get home, I am sure of it." Riane could hear him coming up the stairs and shushed everyone.

"Ready?" Julian asked as he skipped over the last stair.

---***---

Julian had been excited the entire cab ride to the facilities and when they finally arrived, Riane understood why. He had planned for them to swim with dolphins which was something she had mentioned she was interested in doing.

Changing into their swimsuits, which he had packed for her, and then into their wet suits. Getting on the boat, they were taught how to use their snorkels as the boat looked for the mammals. Once they were found, they swam next to the boat until they were given instructions on how to climb into the water.

It had been a magical time for Riane as the spinner dolphins were used to swimming with humans. There had been a great deal of smiles, glances, and accidental or perhaps not so accidental hand touches between Riane and Julian.

Returning to shore after a few hours, they changed back into their clothes and met outside in the parking lot. Julian stepped out and found Riane standing with a huge smile on her lips. She looks just as excited as he had been that morning. It made the change in plans completely worth it.

He had planned a more romantic time with her that morning, however he had put himself on a list a couple days ago to see if the place had any cancellations. When he awoke that morning from a phone call asking if he could come in at eight, he had been thrilled.

"Fun, right?" Julian asked seeking her approval once more and he reached out to take her hand in his own as they walked down the hallway.

Riane nodded while she continued to smile, "I called earlier in the week, but they were all booked up. How did you get one?"

"They have a cancellation list. Most places do. We just got lucky." He swung their hands back and forth between them.

"Very lucky." Riane told him as they walked together for a bit before they were going to call a cab. They were already late for lunch, but it didn't really matter as they were both coming down from their high.

There had been other guests, but they were completely ignored. It felt like it was just the two of them together.

Julian looked at his smiling Riane. Her hair still wet and flat on her head. She had been growing it out and it would be a while before it could be put into a ponytail. She had put some make-up on that morning, but it was now completely gone. She was fresh faced just like when he first met her and it brought warmth to his heart to see her as she really was.

"The others are going to be pissed." She told him as she looked at the clock on her phone and then placed it back into her shorts.

"They will get over it after we tell them what we were doing." Julian looked down at his phone and quickly made a call to get a cab to them.

Once he hung up, he looked over at Riane. She was leaning against a railing, looking at the blue sky so her chin was lifted up.

"You look peaceful here." Julian told her.

Her eyes turned towards him. "Something about knowing everything is so far away kind of removes it from my mind. I am going to be sad to return home."

"I'll bring you back. Next time, it'll be just the two of us." He told her as he brushed some hair stuck to her forehead away.

She grinned, "I'll hold you to that."

His heart felt elated she agreed to such far ahead future plans with him. The last few days here, she seemed willing to set aside her hesitation and actually be in a relationship with him. They had been some of the best days of his life. She never brought up being afraid of not feeling the same for him again after that night, but he could see it sometimes. It was in the small things like touching her hand unexpectedly and having her pull it away. Other times, it was in something he said which caused a repulsed expression briefly.

In that very moment though, she had agreed to be with him for much longer than just this vacation. It was something he had feared. Would she end it when they got home? Was she only agreeing to it to not hurt the vacation for others?

He second guessed every word he said to her and ever touch he offered. He worried she would see what he knew... he was not good enough for her. A rage induced child who went off whenever he was even slightly annoyed was all he had been. Riane looked through it all. She barked back at him and never backed down. She was a fear filled person, but she wasn't afraid of him.

Climbing into the back of the cab, Julian gave the directions so Riane wouldn't have to speak to the stranger and they rode in silence.

As they pulled up, Julian paid the driver and they stepped out onto the sidewalk, but before Riane could run up the stairs, he grabbed her hand.

She turned to face him with a look of confusion in her eyes. "Something the matter?"

"As soon as we go in there, chaos will ensue. Joe will be a bitch. Dalen won't stop her and in return be her bitch. Emma will pretend that Joe isn't being a bitch as will Seth. I just want a couple moments of peace before having to deal with all that." He explained.

She stepped down from the first step to stand in front of him. "I really loved swimming with the dolphins, Julian. Thanks for making it happen for me."

He grinned, "My pleasure."

"I know swimming in the ocean is a big issue for you, and I am surprised you got in at all. I am really proud of you." She patted his shoulder. "Hell, you didn't even get in the water when we were on the beach. The fact that you did far out... I am amazed."

"Yeah, I am trying desperately to not think about it, so if you could just stop talking about it, I would appreciate it." He swallowed as he tried to keep his mouth moist.

"Oh, sorry. Duh." She put her hand gently over her mouth.

He could see she was worried about poking at his fear and decided to try to lighten the mood a little bit. "Besides, once I was in, I was more interested in the dolphins then the sharks."

She giggled, "Either way. It was a great surprise. I am happy."

"Then it was worth it." He looked up towards the house then back to her and decided to ask the question he feared most. "Riane?"

"Yes?" She spoke with a certain sweetness in her voice. If she ever spoke to him like that when he was angry there would be no way he could remain in that anger.

"Um, about what you said about not feeling the same as me?" He watched her face contort to worry. "If you want, we can just say this whole thing was a vacation romance, and go back to friends when we get back. I mean, I'll still try to convince you to date me, but the way it was before. What do you say?"

"I say no." She responded quickly. "I really don't think you chasing me around would work at all for me."

That was a no he didn't know if he feared or not, but there was a darkness in his soul. "Oh, so what do you want to do then?"

Riane shrugged, "We have come this far. Let's keep going, alright?"

"You mean stay together. Stay boyfriend and girlfriend?" He feared her saying no even though she had been very clear in her previous statement, but he worried he misunderstood her.

She could see the uncertainty in his eyes and let out a subtle chuckle, "Yes, stay boyfriend and girlfriend. Is that so hard to believe?"

"Does that mean your feelings have changed?" He knew he was pushing to hard for a positive outcome with that question.

She pressed her lips together, "No, I am still figuring it out. If that is alright with you?"

"Take all the time you need." A grin appeared on his lips as he spoke.

---***---

Due to the fact that they had a lunch date with their friends, Seth and Emma's activity had been rained on quite a bit. While Seth was willing to buy whatever they wanted and just throw away the remains of the food, Emma couldn't bare to see so much go to waste over a couple bites. This was meant to be a day to try new things before they went home, but instead it turned into decisions and compromise.

Emma would, at least, try to find someone who wanted to rest of the meal. Though it was difficult, but many of the times they tried to see if the cook would make them a smaller portion to just taste. Some of them were accommodating especially when Seth offered to pay the same price for less food.

Sometimes, however there was no compromise. They either had to order the large plate of something to toss away or they had to not order the item at all. They would often order an appetizer instead if Emma insisted.

Though it sounded like a tedious morning, in fact it had been a fun time for them both. Neither would get angry at the other and they would both discuss their reasons and feelings behind each item.

Seth appreciated that Emma was a woman that didn't want to see money nor food go to waste, even though he was more than happy to buy whatever she wanted and toss out the rest after a short taste test.

She kept blaming their lunch date for the rash eating habits and the lost food, but this would have been the way the day went anyway. There was no way possible they could have tried everything she wanted in a day and been able to eat every bite.

Their last stop was a shaved ice stand which sounded both cooling and light on Seth's stomach. After they picked their flavors, they found a picnic bench nearby and under some palm trees before enjoying their dessert.

They both sat facing away from the table on the bench and looked towards the ocean in the distance. There was quite some space away from it and where they were, but the view was still lovely even with all the other people in the way.

The greenness was a sharp contrast to their snow filled home and now was one of the last times they would see that color for a few months. They had to soak it in before they returned to the planes and to their former lives.

"I am going to miss being here." Emma spoke more to herself than the man sitting beside her, before sucking some of the pink syrup out of her ice.

He slowly nodded his head, "One almost forgets all the responsibilities we left behind. Soon, classes will start again."

"Maybe by then I will let you call me your girlfriend." She looked at him with a cheeky grin and gave him a wink.

"Maybe?" He asked with humor in his voice.

She shrugged her shoulders playfully, before briefly taking a taste of her dessert. "I still have to give you the audition."

"What has this entire vacation been then?" Seth was partly offended though he could tell she was speaking in a jesting manner and tried to make it sound like he was only flirting with her back. The day had been nice and he didn't want to start any issues on their last day.

"A prelude." She told him with a gentle smile that was followed by a slight giggle. "I don't remember any kissing, hand holding, et cetera."

"Et cetera?" Seth could feel a slight blush coming on and tried his best to contain it. "I mean... what?" She was being somewhat bold which caught him off guard.

His attempts to hold back a blush were futile, and Emma chuckled as she watched his face turn different shades of red. "Have you ever had a girlfriend that you didn't do any of this things with before you labeled her as such?"

The logic slowly made his blush fade, and he began to think clearly once more as he now understood her meaning. "No, I suppose not."

A firm nod was offered on her end as if it ended the conversation and she returned to eating her shaved ice.

Seth didn't know how to reply to her. He somewhat feared what his father would say after he had not too long ago asked for him to help in his relationship with Angela. There was also a fear that Angela's family would not accept such a slight, and either his father would enforce the engagement or a falling out between the two families would occur.

He didn't want to bother Emma with such details, but he knew this was a far more complicated matter than simply saying he wanted to end it. Not to mention, Emma wasn't someone he had known long term, Would his father be accepting of him destroying such a long term engagement or such a short term relationship? His gut said no.

There might be a long road ahead of him when it came to ending anything with Angela, but he didn't want to worry Emma. Not yet, at least. Perhaps worry wasn't the true reason. He didn't want to scare her off.

It was better to test the waters first before casting shadows over any plans they had made. Emma was a strong girl, which was something he liked about her, but she often panicked over small concerns. Such as fear a restaurant would run out of food or traffic being backed up. She would go on and on about them until she was proven they weren't anything, but if they were she would almost seem to be devastated for a time.

It was for this reason he feared telling her any of the gory details. He didn't know if it would be a huge problem for her which she took smoothly, or a small problem she would blow out of proportion.

He wasn't bothered in her thinking, but he was capable of understanding it, which was both a blessing and curse. A blessing in which he could think ahead for her and be patient, and a curse in which he didn't know what would justify as a large or small issue.

"There is a small hole in the wall Mexican restaurant near my house." She spoke to him once her shaved ice was finished. "Outside, there is a old man with a cart of shaved ice. It has all the fresh fruit and he squeezes it on to your ice for you. It's some of the most delicious shaved ice I have ever eaten."

"Yeah?"

She nodded, "I'll have to show you some time."

He grinned as he looked at her stare off into the distance. "I can't wait."

A small grin appeared on her lips, "One time, he misunderstood me and I ended up with tomato flavored. It was disgusting."

"How did he misunderstand?" Seth asked as he chuckled lightly. "And more importantly why is there tomato?"

"I think I asked for the red kind instead of saying a name because I was tired, and it's popular flavor apparently." She stuck out her tongue. "It was horrendous. Must be an acquired taste from childhood, you know?"

"Yeah. How is the restaurant?" He looked down at his shaved ice that was becoming more like flavored water as the moments went by.

She shrugged, "I've had worse, but it is close to my apartment and if I desperately need a burrito, it's cheap and a short walk."

"I'd like to see your apartment." He said innocently.

"I bet you would." She continue to grin but offered him a playful wink.

Seth reached out his hand and playfully shoved her head. "Get your mind out of the gutter." He told her as he stood up. "Almost lunch time, let's head back."

---***---

Laying on the beach with an umbrella over head, Joe watched as Dalen played around on the beach with the kids from one house over. He had helped them set up their volleyball net with their father, but eventually the father disappeared inside. The four children were anywhere between ten and fourteen, and for the most part Dalen was the odd man out during the matches. He would mostly play referee and stop the children from arguing.

Joe was slightly annoyed their day together was brought to a halt by Dalen suddenly becoming an unnecessary babysitter, but as time went by she enjoyed her private time on the blanket.

They had spent so much time together over the last week, doing activity after activity as they reconnected that she forgot about her own desire for private time.

Sitting there with nothing by the sun on her back and her thoughts had a calming effect, and she laid peacefully without a care in the world. That was until the children were called in. Their parents wanted them out of the sun for a bit until after lunch, so Dalen returned to the blanket with her.

He plopped down quickly which tossed sand on the blanket and disturbed her gentle nap. Slight annoyance entered her heart, but she pushed it away as she sat up.

"Did you have fun?" She asked as she reached towards the large blue bag and pulled out some sun block for him. "It's been a couple hours, you might want to reapply it."

Dalen took the bottle from her with a large smile due her concern and began to reapply it to the exposed skin. "Yeah, I normally work out during the week so it was nice to exercise a bit. You should have joined us, it would have made it three on three."

She shook her head, "I don't want to be out in the sun too much. I'd hate to get a tan and then have all my foundation not match my face anymore." She spoke as if it was a joke, but it was a serious issue for her.

"You have a bit of color already. You might need to go a shade or two darker." He tossed the sun block bottle back to her.

"Don't say that." She pouted.

With a shrug, he reached into the cooler and pulled out some icy cold bottle water. "Just because I don't say it, doesn't mean that it's not true."

She touched her cheeks and then lowered her hands into her lap. "Well, it is what it is, I suppose. I tried to wear as much sunscreen as possible, but there is only so much one can do. I hope I lighten up before it goes bad. I paid a good amount for that foundation."

"Is make-up expensive?" He asked the question right before chucking down nearly half the water bottle.

She nodded, "It can be. There are cheap alternatives and some are better than others, but I don't mess around with my foundation. I get pimples from time to time and I need good coverage." She sighed, "I just don't want to buy a darker color of that brand and then have it go to waste. I guess when I get home, I'll see about a cheaper version until I blend back down to my paleness."

He put the lid back on the bottle and tossed it on the blanket in front of him. "Last day." He spoke with exhaustion and looked out over the ocean before resting his head on his knees. "I am kind of glad to be heading home."

"Really?" There was shock in her voice.

Turning his attention back to her, he nodded. "Yeah, I miss home. I can't wait to see my house and sleep in my own bed again. In truth, I can't wait to have some private time all to myself. Vacation are so much fun, but, man, do they cut into your alone time."

"I understand that."

He inhaled deeply to expel his annoyance before speaking again. "You can barely catch a moment alone while taking a shower. I don't care how many bathrooms this place has, it's not enough for the amount of people staying here."

Joe laughed, "Yeah, I have that whole house to myself on the Swithin estate, so sometimes it can feel a little lonely. Other times though, I can crank up the music and just dance around doing whatever I want."

"I would love to see that."

She shook her head, "No, that's private time."

"Do you wear socks and slide around on the floor?" He asked in jest as he picked up his water bottle and began to drink form it.

"It's all carpeted except for the tile in the kitchen, which doesn't really allow for sliding." She joked back as she crawled over the blanket and pulled out a water for herself from the cooler. The outside of the bottle was covered in melted ice and the cool water ran down her arm, as she placed the water bottle on her forehead once she was seated again.

"So, you have tried then?" He smirked as he tossed his empty bottle towards the large blue bag so he wouldn't forget to bring it in to put in the trash.

Joe stared at him for a moment, "It doesn't work that's all you need know." She laughed as she opened the bottle and took a big sip from it.

Dalen laughed at her reply as silence fell between them. They both knew lunch time was coming upon them and they would need to get everything prepped if not cooked before the others arrived. "I have had a really great time. I am glad you came with us."

"Me too." Joe's voice had become tired over the few moments of silence. "I am glad Riane and I worked things out between us so I could come."

"As am I." He reached out and touched her hand which was resting on her knee, but Joe pulled it away. This caused an awkward moment where his hand was briefly on her knee. Clearing his throat, he was quick to apologize. "Sorry, I didn't mean to."

"I am just not there yet."

He didn't understand. They had spent more time together in the last week then they had spent broken up, and she acted as if they weren't all cuddles and kisses just the week before. This seemed to be behavior by a betrayed woman who wasn't ready to forgive, and he had done nothing of the sort. He had simply expressed his opinion and asked her to leave his home when she got too heated.

Everyday something had reminded him of her anger towards him. He had begun to wonder if this was even worth his effort. Would she just hold onto the grudge forever and pretend they were simply friends? That was not something he would be capable of, yet everyday he told himself to give her another day to figure everything out. It was never enough time.

"We need to get started on lunch." He told her as he stood up from the blanket and began to gather everything they had brought out with them.

Joe folded up the blanket and grabbed the umbrella, while Dalen took the bag and cooler up the wooden stairs to the balcony.

She had watched his mood change the moment she had pulled her hand away. She didn't even really know why she had done it. For a split second, it had been a relief for him to reach out, but her pride told her to not let him. It whispered in her ear that he didn't deserve it, despite the fact that when she pulled away she felt a lingering sense of loss.

She had wanted to hug him, to hold his hand, or even kiss him so many times this week, but a feeling of anger and dread filled her chest to the point she couldn't breathe. In her heart, she knew she had to stop this, she had to let go, but her stubborn side refused. It was hurting her far more than him. She was simply punishing herself, even if she told herself a thousand times that he deserved it for the way she had been treated.

"What do you want to make?" She asked as she followed him up the stairs while staring at the back of his head.

Dalen shrugged, "I don't know. We will figure it out when we get inside. I know I could use a cold beer though."

"Yeah, me too."

---***---

The lunch was prepared and the group of six came together for their second to last meal on the island. Soon, they would all return home to prepare for another semester at college, but this trip had changed everything for them.

Coming to the island as a beggar for her love and leaving as her boyfriend was a win for Julian. No one could deny the happiness that appeared on his face whenever anything even remotely involved with Riane was brought up.

Whether she talked about school or other plans, or when someone would randomly call them a couple or say that Riane was his girlfriend, a look of giddiness would shoot across his face. Of course, his two male friends were familiar enough with that look. It was the expression of victory; one that was long in the making.

Julian had once practiced for months to beat Seth in a chess match. Once he had won, he never played him again, but whenever chess was brought up there was that look. It was as smug as it was proud, and as childish as it was sensible.

Emma and Seth hadn't truly talked about their feelings until they arrived here. Now, there were plans in place which could possibly end in them becoming a couple.

No one talked about what was happening between the two, though Riane had hoped for a few moments alone to speak to her friend. She didn't doubt Emma's intentions, but she worried about what all this would mean.

Joe and Dalen were a different animal all together. They had spent so much time together and away from the group, but they didn't seem any different. Whether what they had been attempting wasn't working or they were just a slightly older couple who was done with long flirty glances, no one could really tell.

No one would dare to ask either. That was a bag of crazy no one else wanted to touch. It was as if it was filled with plague.

"Hey." Riane stepped out on the balcony where she found Emma; a gentle breeze blew her hair around though it still wasn't long enough to fall in her face.

She had been watching from the living room and waited patiently for Seth to step away from her. Neither had eaten much and it was obvious they felt awkward just sitting around the island counter not eating with the others. In an effort to ease their own tension, they decided to go outside for some air and left the meal to the other two couples.

Emma smirked as she held onto the wooden rail with one hand and brushed some hair from her eyes. "Hey. Have you been having a good day?"

"Wonderful." Riane walked towards the rail and leaned her elbows against it so she could look out onto the ocean. "It's hard to believe this will be our last day."

She inhaled deeply before she sighed heavily. "I know. I almost felt like this was a new life for us all, but it won't be long now before I am the charity case again." She chuckled before turning her attention to Riane. "Thank you for letting me tag along. I know we haven't been friends long and you didn't have to bring me."

"Nonsense. In truth, I didn't want to be the only girl here, and I wasn't expecting Joe to come along until the last minute. So, thank you for coming and keeping me company." Riane briefly rubbed her neck.

"My pleasure, but I feel like I spent more time with Seth than anyone else." She giggled nervously.

"Yeah, well, I didn't expect my stalker fiance to turn into an actual boyfriend, so sorry about that." Riane looked through the sliding glass windows to Julian who was sitting on the couch talking with Dalen. He looked out the window as if he could feel her stare and waved; she reciprocated the gesture.

Emma thought their interaction was adorable and simply smiled at the two little love birds. They were both so unsophisticated in their technique which warmed her heart.

"Speaking of strangers into boyfriends. What is happening between you and Seth?" Riane noticed her stare and became uncomfortable with it immediately, and for some reason her best bet was to shine the spotlight on her friend.

She would have choked on her drink if she had been drinking anything, but air would have to suffice. "Nothing to report as of yet."

"Really?" She scoffed in disbelief. "I find that hard to believe. You two have spent a lot of time together and he steals glances at you whenever he gets the chance."

Flattered as she was, Emma knew she had to explain the situation to her friend before any speculation got out of hand. "We have talked about a relationship, but I am not the type who dates attached men. When he gets home, he is going to speak to his family about his arrangement and we will go from there."

"Oh." She was silent for a moment as she tried to think of something else to say. "I hope all goes well for you then."

"What about you and Julian? I noticed you two haven't shared a room once while we have been here... or I guess not once that I have caught you." She teased.

Riane stuck out her tongue at her friend playfully, "I think we are working on figuring out who we are as a couple. Before I was adamant we wouldn't amount to anything, and I still don't know if it is true or not. My jealousy towards Adonia only proved something was there, but I still can't figure out what that means exactly."

She nodded her head, "Well, figure it out, because he seems like he could get really hurt if you don't feel the same way he does. You don't want him to get his hopes up."

"I know. We've spoken on it in detail, and his only response was he wanted me to pretend until my feelings are real. I don't know about all that, but I will try until I know the truth of how I feel." She sighed.

"Maybe I should tell him to kiss a girl in front of you. Would that get you moving faster?" Emma was only joking, but there was no humor behind the eyes which glared at her. She chuckled, "I am kidding, Riane. Besides, I doubt he would anyway."

Riane gave a grin and turned her attention back to the ocean. "We will see what is to be come of it tomorrow. Right now, I just want to enjoy the last few moments we have here. Back in Cerulean Harbor are all the problems we put on back burners."

"I'm back!" Seth said as he stepped out onto the balcony.

"Good, I was beginning to think you drowned in there." Emma joked referring to his bathroom break.

"You going to drink a little with us tonight, Riane? Last night." Seth didn't take the spot next to Emma but instead put Riane between them.

She shrugged, "Maybe, I haven't decided yet."

"I don't think your first time drinking should be the night before we have to get on the plane in the morning." Emma spoke with concern.

Seth snorted, "It's the perfect time. You'll sleep your hang over off and wake up at home refresh and recharged."

"I said I would think about it." Riane looked through the sliding glass window again to find Julian, but he had moved away from the door.

Not listening to the two bicker about whether or not she should drink that evening, Riane wondered where Julian had run off to. Did he leave the house completely? The entire back wall was a window and she couldn't see him in the living room or kitchen.

When he reappeared from downstairs after a moment, he smiled in her direction and the small amount of panic in her heart melt away. She returned the smile with a slight wave which Julian joyfully returned.

Leave comments: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=500

---***---

Night fell upon the beach and the alcohol was brought out from the cabinets. Joe made margaritas though none of the guys wanted any of it, and they had convinced Riane to have a couple drinks with them.

Julian hadn't looked too keen on the idea and though he had started a beer when they tried to convince her; he hadn't drank from it since she agreed. Instead, he hovered around her and would occasionally tell her to drink it slowly.

After the first couple, Riane noticed them going down a little more slowly, so she would heed Julian's warnings. She had seen the others hung over and she didn't want to be in such a way on a plane ride home.

"These are really good, Joe." Emma told her for the hundredth time that evening. It seemed like every time she took a sip, she tried to compliment Joe.

Joe grunted a reply like she had been all night long, and continued with a conversation she was holding Seth and Dalen.

"You squeezed you own limes, right?" She had already asked that question multiple times before as well, but she seemed to be hoping Joe would get drunk enough she would actually talk with her pleasantly.

"I told you before. Stop asking me the same fucking thing over and over again. It's annoying." Joe snapped.

Julian and Riane, who were sitting on the other side of the room, stopped arguing about him being too controlling of her drinks and turned their attention to Joe.

Dalen and Seth had already foreseen where this might lead, and both gave each other looks to ask the other to help in damage control.

"You know, Emma, we have everything to make long island ice teas. Have you ever had those before?" Dalen asked before she could respond to Joe's insult and hoped against hope that she would ignore the outburst and speak to him instead.

Understanding what Dalen was trying to do, Emma gave him a smile. "I don't think I ever have. I heard they have a lot of alcohol in them though."

"They do, but it's a good way to get rid of a bunch of alcohol and not just let it all go to waste." He returned her grin as Joe sipped on her margarita.

"Well, I suppose I would like to try it then." She chuckled.

Dalen looked towards his friend, "Seth here makes the best. Of course, he can make almost any cocktail you can imagine."

"My family loves their happy hour." Seth told her humorously. "Mixed drinks are my specialty."

Dalen agreed with a nod, "The Barras family is just a bunch of alcoholics... which is kind of terrifying for any of your dad's patients."

"Hey!" Seth snapped as if he were offended. "We are a bunch of functioning alcoholics, thank you very much."

The group laughed even Joe who hadn't really been interested in the conversation. Julian had been in the middle of stopping Riane from having another sip, but she swatted his hand away and drank from her glass anyway.

"Can you show me how to make long islands then?" Emma asked as she seemed well aware that staying next to Joe was a volatile situation.

"Absolutely!" Seth jumped up and heading into the kitchen with Emma close behind him. They both mumbled to each other and giggled. Though no one could hear what they were saying, it was no doubt talk about Joe's behavior.

Joe glared at them out of the corner of her eye, but said nothing to them. She could already see what an ass she was becoming in her friends' eyes and didn't want to add to it.

It seemed the more she drank, the less she could stand Emma. She pushed too hard to befriend her and it was beginning to feel forced. No longer was she just hanging around, but for the past couple of days, Emma had been actively trying to engage her. Joe was not interested in being close to the girl as she hoped she would see little of her after the vacation was over.

Riane's phone made a popping noise and she looked at her text message. A smirk came to her lips as she replied to the person.

"I know that look." Joe said playfully from across the room as the two couples continued to sit on the sofas.

Looking up from her phone, Riane raised an eyebrow.

"That is your 'Oh my god, I can't believe Blake actually texted me look.' Complete with unknowing grin." She continued to tease.

Giving a soft roll of her eyes, Riane finished her text before tossing the phone back down on the coffee table. "He was asking when we were coming back, and wanted to know if we have been having fun."

"What does it matter to him?" Julian asked. He had already been in a sour mood since he had been watching over Riane's drinking, but this only seemed to mix it with some jealousy.

Before she could answer another pop sound was made by her phone and she picked it up; once again she smirked. "He says he misses us." She was talking to Joe.

Joe could see the annoyance on Julian's face, but Riane seemed either not bothered or ignorant to it. "He hasn't really hung out with us in months. Strange."

Dalen decided to stay out of this conversation and merely leaned back on the couch. He watched Seth briefly teaching Emma how to make the mixed cocktails.

Julian, on the other hand, nodded his head agreeably at Joe's statement. "That's right! You go away for a while and suddenly you are best friends again?"

Shaking her head slowly, Riane looked away from the text she was sending. "He still saw me everyday at school during those months. Even people you don't hang out with all the time, you do notice their absence when they aren't around for a while."

He leaned back and folded his arms across his chest, but realized he was in a perfect position to look at her screen.

She had replied that she had missed him as well, and she hoped they could get together once she had returned.

"Get together with me, right?" He asked loudly.

Riane's eyebrows came together in annoyance, "Excuse me?"

"When you get together with him, you'll bring me, right?" He asked again as he remembered subconsciously all the times that Adonia had tortured him with Riane's affection for Blake. "I mean, you'll at least tell him we are dating now."

"He knew we were dating before. I never told him this wasn't real. Why would I suddenly show up and announce we are really dating?" Riane watched him turn his head away from her and tighten his arm fold around his chest.

Joe smirked and decided to add fuel to the lover's spat. "Geeze, Riane, have some sensitivity. He is afraid you'll fall back in love with Blake the moment you see him. Take the little rugrat with you and save yourself from having to deal with his jealousy."

"I am not..." Julian cut himself off when he realized he was yelling and lowered his voice before speaking again. "I am not jealous."

She stared at him for a couple seconds before answering. "Are you serious? You are open and honest with Riane about your feelings, but this is what you will lie about?"

Without saying anything, he looked out the window at the ocean while Riane slowly shook her head in amusement.

With a sigh, she held up her glass. "Is there anymore?"

---***---

Riane was standing on the balcony with Julian standing beside her. She was sipping on the long island ice teas that Emma and Seth had made together. She didn't really care for the taste which slowed down her drinking a great deal, though the more she sipped the less offensive the taste was becoming. It didn't go unnoticed by the man standing beside her.

"Are you alright? You know you can stop drinking at any time." Julian told her when she stumbled a little bit on her foot even though she was standing perfectly still and leaning against the wooden balcony rail.

Riane smiled up at him for a brief moment, before the annoyance followed. "Would you relax? You've been nursing the same beer all night. Just finish it off and have another one. You are making my first time drinking very stressful."

He turned his attention to the half drank, warm beer in his hand, before returning his eyes to her. "I am just trying to make sure you don't go too far. You don't want to be hung over on the plane tomorrow. Puking into those little bags in front of everyone and causing vomit smell throughout the plan is not as fun as it looks. Trust me."

She chuckled, "Julian, I am fine. I am just enjoying my last night here. I appreciate your concern, but it is unfounded. I am not falling over or doing anything I saw you do multiple times during the week. So, lighten up a bit."

He nodded his head as if he had been broken or perhaps he was just tired of not drinking with everyone else. Quickly downing his beer, he crushed the can. "Fine, but I am only have two or three more."

"Whatever pulls the stick out." She mumbled as he walked back into the house to grab another beer from the fridge.

When he returned, the sliding door let her listen in for a brief moment on the conversation that was occurring inside. It sounded like Joe was in a heated debate with someone, but she couldn't hear who or get any details before the door closed.

"Joe and Emma are discussing community college versus private college." Julian told her as if he had read her mind. "Don't go in there. Joe tries to pull you in immediately. It's actually pretty intense." He smirked while opening the can and taking a drink.

Riane sighed as she looked over her shoulder through the window to the two women sitting side by side on the couch. "At least, they are talking. However, I want to go to bed in an hour, so I hope they finish up by then."

"An hour sounds good." Julian watched out of the corner of his eye as Riane turned her attention back to the dark horizon. "I am going to miss being here."

"Yeah, me too. It's so beautiful and carefree here. School will be a challenge this year, especially since I have changed my major. I can't wait to play the piano again on stage though." Her voice told of her pure joy and one couldn't help but become overcome by it.

He grinned and watched her for a moment more. "Can I tell you something?"

She turned to her to look at him, but the joy quickly left her face and was replaced was the seriousness of his request. "Of course."

"I am terrified to go back." He watched her face contort into confusion. "Back there, you said we would never be together, and here we are. What happens when we get home and you remember your feelings told you we would never happen? What happens when Blake shows up and you remember what Adonia told you about him?"

"You should like me right now. Worry, worry, worry." She could see he wasn't interested in her teasing as soon as she said it. Reaching out her hand, she touched his own which was resting on the rail. "All I can say, Julian, like anything else we have to walk that path before we know the crossroads. You can choose to be fearful every time you see one and distrust my judgment or feelings, or you can walk with me hand and hand, and trust I will be true to myself. That is the best I can offer for the moment."

He cleared his throat before pulling his hand away from her own and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. Pulling her into his chest, he kissed the top of her head. "Can I walk with you like this instead?"

Riane giggled, "Only when it's cold."

A loud crashing noise came from the house and they both jumped away from each other to turn around and find the source of the sound.

Emma and Joe were wrapped up in each other. It looked like a very violent hug as they each yanked on the other girl's hair. They couldn't hear what they were saying, but from the teeth grinding and speaking through them; it was obvious they were also carrying on an argument.

Seth and Dalen had run into to living room so they could break them up, as they had been in the kitchen trying to stay away from the debate the two were having.

Giving each other a look, Riane and Julian dashed into the house in an attempt to help.

"I am sick of your shit!" Emma barked as she yanked around Joe's ponytail. She obvious had the better grip of hair and more control since Emma hair was down and not all bunched together as Joe's hair. "Fucking bitch, I will end you!"

"Fuck you, cunt! You don't belong here!" Joe snapped back and tried to yank her around, but her hand seemed only to slip which caused her to release her hold in order to grab another handful. Emma did not use that moment to move away from her and instead allowed her hair to be grabbed once more.

"Girls!" Seth had been drunk for the majority of the night and even with all this excitement, he barely seemed able to keep his eyes open or even really involved. He did nothing to physically get in the way of the fight.

Dalen, who hadn't drunk that much, had his hands in between them as he tried to pull them apart. "Let go! Let go of the hair!" He yelled.

Julian made a move to grab Emma from behind so Dalen could do the same with Joe. Whenever one girl tried to yank the other girl's hair, they were able to pull her up and take away her leverage.

"Stop it!" Riane screamed at the top of her lungs after a few moments. Both girls turned their attention towards her. "What the hell is wrong with you two? Let each other go!"

They did so and the boys moved each one to the opposite side so they were standing in between them.

"She started it." Emma mumbled.

"Well, I am finishing it." Riane growled and silenced Joe with a look before she could even reply. "You two are too drunk to work through this right now. It's time for bed, everyone!"

"Aww." Seth booed her briefly, but didn't give up much of a fight as he put his hands on Emma's shoulders. "Let's brush our teeth." He mumbled as they both headed down the stairs.

Riane looked to Dalen, "Give them a moment and then take her to bed." She ordered and Dalen agreed to her order with a nod.

After a few moments, he led her away and Riane sat down on the couch with Julian tossing himself down beside her.

"We can stay up and have a couple more, after all we said an hour." Julian spoke with a voice that was obviously trying to lighten the mood.

She smirked at him, "Alright, but just one hour."

He gave a slight nod, "Do you want another?" He pointed to the glass in her hand that was still half full.

"Sure, top me off." She offered him out her glass.

Taking it from her, Julian moved to get off the couch but stopped himself before turning back to her. "I forgot to get my tip for being the bartender for you tonight."

Riane gently smiled as he gently planted a kiss on her lips, before heading off into the kitchen with a little hop in his step.

---***---

Emma and Seth had moved down the stairs slowly with each clinging to the rail beside them. They made their way down the hall and both entered into Seth's bedroom without even speaking to each other over the arrangement. He had simply opened the door for her as she murmured under her breath about the bitch upstairs.

Once inside they both fell on the bed on their backs and took a deep breath, as if they were recovering from the long journey down the stairs. Both laid in the silence as they heard two others pass through the hallway outside. No doubt it was Dalen and Joe as her voice could be heard mumbled, drunk sweet nothings to the man who was carrying her to her room.

No one else would pass by and Emma wondered if Riane was alright to be upstairs all alone with Julian. She didn't fear he would do anything to her, but there was still concern for her friend. Though it was briefly lived as her mind returned to the thoughts of Joe and her horrendous behavior during their vacation.

"It isn't just me? She is being an ass to me, right?" Emma asked with slightly slurred speech; her hair covering the bed and getting into his face when he turned his head to look at her. "I didn't do anything to her, did I? What could I have done that warrants *hiccup* such cruelty?"

He gave a slow nod as if he was a beat off within in mind. "She hasn't been very cool, no." He swallowed, before giving a grin. "We should have cussed her out earlier. Put gum in her hair and told on her to her mom."

She rolled her eyes playfully, though she was slightly annoyed he was using a serious situation to make a joke. Even if he was just trying to lighten the mood. Now just wasn't the time, she wanted to be angry. She hadn't been allowed all week. "I haven't done anything to her." She repeated, "I don't understand why she has to be such a big cunt."

Seth inhaled deeply as he tried to pull himself together in order to help the woman laying beside him. "Um, maybe she is jealous."

"Of what?" Emma could barely keep her eyes open but she didn't want to go to sleep just yet. It didn't even register with her that she wasn't in her own room.

"Riane and she have been on the outs, and you have been with her instead. You were invited on this trip, before she was." He yawned and tears poured from his eyes, but he was quick to wipe them away.

Emma was quiet for a couple beats; almost to the point that Seth had fallen asleep. "I don't care. Whatever the reason, I am not the one to punish. We don't even know each other." She took a deep breath as if it was a way to keep herself awake. "I am... I am a nice person. Aren't I?"

He didn't answer her. Instead, soft breaths came from where his voice should have been, along with a gentle whistling of a nostril.

She turned her attention to him away from the ceiling and gently tapped his cheek. "Seth, wake up."

He remained asleep with his light breaths which made the ends of her hair dance around on the comforter.

She tickled his nose, which he simply rubbed away. She tickled his inner ear and once more he rubbed it away. Doing it once more, she added her own version of the sound of a fly buzzing around the room.

Every time, Seth rubbed it away and tried to swat it, she would giggle to herself. That was until she remembered why she had wanted him to wake up to begin with.

Staring at him for a few moments, she decided to do something a little harsher. So, she tapped his cheek a little harder, and with each failure she did it again a little harder.

His eyes popped open with a blank stare, but he still didn't respond. It was as if his eyes were open but his brain was still asleep.

"Am I a nice person?" She asked after a couple more moments of his blank stare and the empty silence around them.

"Very nice person." Seth told her as he stretched out his arms; pressing the against the wall above the bed and arching his back slightly.

He no longer wanted to play this game, even if it was with Emma, and all he could think about was falling asleep. When his mind was clear in several random, brief moments, he remembered their long plane ride home. Not to mention the horrible airport full of travelers, both arriving and leaving, that would await them.

Emma was in need of his assurance she was right in the argument, but he barely had the ability to remind himself to brush his teeth before he actually fell asleep.

"Damn straight." She mumbled as Seth got out of the bed and headed into the bathroom, where he grabbed his tooth brush.

He began to clean his teeth although it was far from the normal two minutes he usually did. Instead, he gave himself a once over and spit into the sink, before making his way back out into the bedroom.

He found Emma fast asleep on his bed. Her light breaths were now the only sound in the room other then a couple beeps from her cellphone in her pocket.

Even in his drunken haze, he knew Emma wouldn't want to wake up in bed next to him. He also considered her clothes would not be comfortable to sleep in. This meant he would have to help her despite his own tired nature.

Walking around the bed, he sat down beside her and brushed some hair from her face. "Emma, you need to sleep in your own room."

She moaned at him.

"Come on, don't kick me out of my own room. Julian is not someone who actively shares, and who knows what Joe and Dalen might be doing in his room." He shook her while he talked. "I have a feeling it will be a big fat no from Riane."

She opened her eyes briefly, but they closed nearly immediately.

He sighed, "I guess, I could have her come in here and sleep with you while I take your guys' room." He continued to shake her.

Finally, Emma opened her eyes and stared up into his own. "Joe and Riane are sharing, you could take my room... or just sleep in here with me. I don't care."

"I think you will care in the morning, so we should move you to your room." He pulled on her hand slightly in an effort to get her moving.

Emma yanked her arm back and caused him to fall forward. She laughed when his armpit landed on her stomach. "Just sleep here."

Sighing, Seth decided he was just too sleepy and drunk to deal with this right now. He no more wanted to go hunting for another room then he wanted to help carrying Emma to her own room. This was something his sober self would have to deal with in the morning.

"Do you want a shirt to sleep in? I don't think my pajama bottoms will fit." He asked as he stood up and walked towards his suitcase which he had never truly unpacked.

"No, I am fine." She mumbled as she turned to lay on her side and shove her hands under her head as a make-shift pillow even though there were plenty of pillows on the bed.

"Then take your phone out of your pocket." He ordered as he heard it make another beep sound, then he waited for her to follow his command.

When she did so, he climbed into bed beside her. She laid on top of the covers and he under them. Part of him thought this would be a terrible idea, but he mostly didn't care. He was too wasted, too tired, and too drains of any emotion at the moment.

Within seconds of the lights being turned out, the entire room was filled the sounds of breaths from them both, and the occasional beep of Emma's phone which went unnoticed.

---***---

Dalen helped Joe into her bedroom. Upon entering he turned on the light to the ocean blue themed bedroom with white wicker furniture. As he approached the bed, Joe became like jello in his hands and he realized she was trying to get him to release her. When he did so, she flopped onto the bed as soon as she was close enough. There was luggage all over the floor and bed, which Dalen felt he couldn't leave just tossed around, especially when two drunk women were going to be tripping towards the bathroom all night long.

He folded them closed, but did not zip them up as he tossed them out of the way near the dressers. When he turned around to cover up Joe, she was no longer on the bed and the bathroom light had been turned on.

Walking over to the door, he leaned against the frame as he watched as Joe tried desperate to get toothpaste on her brush. Her movements were jerky and it was obvious she was seeing more than one toothbrush. As she missed, the toothpaste dropping into the sink.

"Oops." She mumbled and then attempted to try again.

"Do you want me to help?" He asked as he stepped in and Joe just offered out her brush and paste without any words. He filled the brush then handed it back to her, before putting the lid on the tube and standing by to watch her.

Her mouth filled with foam quickly and it dripped out of her lips onto the sink, the counter, and her shirt. The brush strokes were hardly what he would consider helpful to good oral hygiene, but he wasn't about to brush a grown woman's teeth.

After a moment, Joe stopped and just leaned against the sink with both hands while the toothbrush hung from her mouth. She took a deep breath as if this whole ordeal had been a marathon run for her. Her eyes looked up into the mirror and she could see him standing behind her in it. The stare was almost blank as if she wasn't really looking at him, but instead thinking deeply about something else.

"Are you alright?" He asked, but received no reply. Reaching out his hand, he touched her shoulder which seemed to jerk her back to life and she returned to brush her teeth.

As she was brushing her back teeth, she gagged, but continued to brush without care. The sound turned his stomach, but he continued to stand by to ensure she would be fine.

With another gag came the vomit and once the flood gates were open, there was nothing more Joe could do but puke all over the sink. Dalen moved quickly to open the toilet for her, and she tried to move with her hands covering her mouth. The liquid found its way through the cracks in her fingers and it made more of a mess then just letting her remain at the sink.

Most of it still smelled of the fruit and alcohol she had been drinking all night long, which was some sort of a relief to Dalen who began to clean it up while she continued to throw up. He found a small trash bag under the sink and filled it with soaked toilet paper.

When he was finished, Joe was kneeling in front of the toilet with her forehead directly on the toilet seat. She continued to mumble over and over how cold it was in a positive way.

"Do you want me to get you some bread?" He asked once she started in on the chant which stated how she didn't feel good.

She shook her head in a abrupt fashion but left her forehead on the seat.

"I know it sounds like the last thing you want to do right now, but it will help your stomach by absorbing what ever is left in your stomach." He watched her shake her head once more. "I have crackers in my room, I'll go get them just in case you change your mind."

He quickly left the room even though he heard Joe ask him not to leave her, and grabbed the crackers off his night stand. Upon his return, Joe had made her way to the bed and was laying on her back with one leg hanging off the bed to touch the ground.

"You have the spins?" He knew that when he got them the best way to stop them was to have one foot on the ground.

"Yes." She mumbled, as he turned off the bedroom light but left the bathroom still on. "I feel less drunk though."

He set the crackers on the night stand beside her, and sat down on the bed near her legs. Placing his hand on her knee which was still on the bed, he watched her rub her forehead and eyes several times over. "Are you sure you don't want to try the crackers?"

She shook her head, "If I eat anything right now, I'll throw up." She mumbled. "I am going to be so hung over tomorrow."

"Well, you threw up, so maybe not as badly as you think." He patted her leg. "Do you want me to stay here for a bit or turn off the lights and go?"

"Stay." She whispered.

He slowly nodded his head and sat in silence with her just waiting for her to fall asleep, but whenever it seemed like she was about to she would kick herself awake.

"Did you have fun this week?" He asked when he realized she wasn't going to go to sleep and just needed more time to digest.

A slightly grin came to her lips, "More than I thought I would."

"Good. I think we might have to make it up to the others for ditching them so much though." He recalled the dirty looks they received a few times during the week when they announced their plans for the day.

"Do you want to be my boyfriend?" She asked completely ignoring what he had just said, but she was in her own little drunk world and he allowed it.

"I do, but we will talk about such things in the morning." He gently squeezed her knee in an attempt to comfort her.

Joe sighed, "I don't know if my stubbornness will allow me to admit it in the morning. I am really prideful." She said it as if she was telling him a secret rather than a well established fact.

He chuckled, "I know what you really mean when you are being that way. Don't worry about anything. I'll take care of it tomorrow."

She was quiet with her eyes closed for a couple moments before she spoke again. "Please, lay down with me."

"Riane could be down at any moment." He watched her moan like a two year old not getting their way. "Fine, but only until you fall asleep."

He moved to the other side of the bed and laid his head down on Riane's pillows. He could smell the fruity scent of her shampoo which he was a scent he was used to smelling whenever he hugged her. It was strange to smell it in this situation, so he tried to scoot over towards the woman in bed with him.

Joe's hair was scented more like flowers, which was far more comforting than sleeping in Riane's scent. It almost felt like he was sleeping with his girlfriend in his sister's bed, although the term sleeping was quite literal in this instance.

As they laid there together, Joe's leg would occasionally jerk her awake and he knew she had another failed attempt to fall asleep. He recalled being in a similar situation and how the act of actually falling asleep made it feel like he was truly falling.

He kept his patience, but secretly hoped Riane would came down to the bedroom and he could leave her to this situation. At this point in the evening he was tired as well, and wanted to go to sleep, however he was forcing himself to stay awake.

As he tried to fight it, he realized that Riane could just go sleep in his room or he supposed she could wake him up. The more tired he became the more reasons he gave himself to have permission to fall asleep in that bed.

Each time he told himself he would do it and to just stay awake a little bit longer, but the fight wasn't won he could win. He didn't even noticed when Joe had finally dozed off as he was now focused solely on himself.

Of course, the act of falling asleep always goes unnoticed and soon the two were dreaming together in a bedroom still filled with light from the bathroom.

---***---

Sitting on the couch, Riane continued to drink her long island ice tea as she stared at the stairs leading down to the bedrooms. She held a frown on her face, but it was mostly in concern towards her two friends not only fighting but now being downstairs together.

Julian sat beside her and watched her face change expressions from time to time. He could actually see what she was thinking on her face, and it only made her more endearing. Every time an eyebrow lifted or she pressed her lips, he couldn't help but smile as he soaked in her features.

He had feared once this vacation was over she would simply ask them to return back to their friendship status. After thinking about it for several nights, he decided the only thing he could do was agree and continue to fight the good fight.

When she had simply agreed to keep their relationship as it was now, he hadn't really thought of that possibility. He didn't know what to do with her anymore. He knew what he wanted to do, but he could see how awkward a simple kiss made her.

Just holding her hand on the beach had caused her to turn bright red. He didn't mention it to her, because he not only thought it was cute, but he knew it would embarrass her. If he did so, she would no longer want to hold his hand.

"Do you think they will be alright down there?" She finally asked once her many facial expressions died down.

He nodded, "They are drunk. They will probably go right to sleep and forget this ever happened in the morning." He took a sip of his beer.

"You think so?" She continued to stare at the stairs with her glass in her hand, before she yawned loudly and turned her attention to him. As soon as she saw his intense stare upon her face, her expression changed once more to that of uncomfortableness. "Why are you staring at me?" She touched her face briefly as if afraid something was on it.

Julian smirked and shrugged his shoulders, "Am I not allowed to look at my girlfriend?" His voice held a teasing tone, but he was just embarrassed to have been caught.

Riane rolled her eyes, "Ugh, I hate the way you say that word."

"What word?" He asked curiously.

"Girlfriend." She rolled her eyes once more. "You practically sing it, and it's not just to me. You say it to everyone like that."

He continued to smirk, "Well, I would call you my fiancee, but that word lost its meaning in our relationship a long time ago." He sat up straight and smiled, and continued to use his teasing tone. "Oh, eventually, it will be wife."

Riane covered her face with both hands after putting her glass down on the coffee table. "Julian, stop." She told him as red began to cover her face.

He decided this he might have gone one step too far, and needed to back track in order to get a few more seconds alone with her before they headed to bed. Putting his beer down, he leaned back on the couch and patted his shoulder.

"What?" She asked.

"It's called snuggling, Riane. Put your head here." He could see the distrust in her eyes and perhaps a bit of anxiety. "I am not asking you to have my baby here. Just put your head on my shoulder." He reached out his hand and put it on the side of her head before pulling it down to his shoulder.

She was stiff for a moment, before she seemed to give into the idea and chuckled a bit. "Ass." She mumbled under her breath.

"Hey, Riane?" He asked after a couple moments of silence passed between them in comfort and security.

"Hmm?" She replied and he could hear the sleepiness beginning to fill her mind, though she made no attempt to get up to go to bed.

"Thanks for staying my girlfriend." He didn't know why he felt the need to say so, but he wanted her to know he appreciated it.

She giggled, "Thanks for liking me." She mumbled the words, but he could understand them clear enough.

Laying his cheek on the top of her head, he answered. "Who wouldn't like you?"

"My father." She told him with a loud sigh.

"Oh, yeah, well, he is a fucking moron, besides you never have to worry about him again. I'm going to take over that role... wait, no, that's not what I meant. I don't want to be your father. I mean, you know what I mean, right?" He could feel his own face beginning to turn red.

She just giggled, "A man in my life, right?"

"Right." The humiliation drained away when he realized she understood perfectly what he had been trying to say. "I hope you like me one day."

"I do like you. That is why we ended up friends before we were even forced together." She adjusted her head on his shoulder and it almost felt like she was digging in to get more comfort. "I liked how you didn't cater to my anxiety, or how my anxiety wasn't who I was to you. I was just me and my anxiety was something that is a small part of me. Thank you for letting me finally know that truth about myself."

Once more he kissed the top of her head and then returned his cheek to it to rest his head. "Thanks for letting me act all bratty, but never really taking me seriously."

He could hear the smile on her voice as she spoke, "My pleasure."

Another silence fell between them, before a worry ended his drunken mind and immediately spilled out of his mouth. "Now that you know how Blake feels about you, what will happen when we get home?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" He asked curiously.

She nodded her head against his shoulder, "I don't know when it happened, but I don't feel the same anymore. Maybe, it was because he was my only option for so long, so I had no idea what it was like to truly like someone because I wanted to like them... not because I just didn't have anyone else to set my mind on."

He didn't know if she was admitting to liking him in that moment or not, but he was being too careful to push. It didn't calm him to hear her answer, but he decided this would be the best answer he would get.

With his hand around her shoulder, he rubbed her arm gently as the quiet moments passed between them. After a few more, he could hear her steady breaths and realized she had fallen asleep.

Pulling the blanket on the armrest over them, he decided he would stay here with her until she woke up and returned to her own bed. However, he could feel himself starting to fall asleep, and knew it wouldn't be long before they were both passed out.

He kissed the top of her head again, "Do you want to go to bed?"

She didn't reply, and he wasn't interested in waking her. Brushing the hair from her face that he could see from his angle, he sighed audibly.

"Alright, I didn't think we would sleep together this soon, but if you insist." He joked even though she was too far gone to laugh at his joke. "I hope you don't drool."

He rested his head once more on the top of her own and pulled her in close so they could share the blanket. He listened to her breaths as they warmed a small patch of skin on his neck.

Without evening thinking about it, he once more kissed the top of her head and hugged her close to his body. "I love you."

Next Chapter: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=506

Leave comments: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=500