Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CH2) Chapter 14: Lack of Energy

Almost everyone was hung over in the morning and breakfast was eaten quickly while everyone sat in silence. Their last meal was one of pain, embarrassment, and general lack of energy.

Emma and Joe offered each other dirty looks from across the kitchen island, but they both seemed incapable of expressing themselves with words that morning. It would be something Riane would take note of and talk to them about individually later.

Everyone had woken up in someone else's arms, which was regretful for Emma as she barely remembered going to bed. Seth had apologized and explained what had happened though he had been rather drunk himself. Emma decided it was not worth arguing about or causing trouble over, after all they had only slept and nothing more.

Joe and Dalen had been rather calm in waking up next to one another. They had yet to have sex with one another, but waking up sleeping together on a couch or floor was something that had happened a few times. They were more concerned with dealing with Joe's morning hangover and trying to stop the vomiting so she could get on the plane later.

As for the two love birds of the group, Riane and Julian had awoken on the couch. They had moved during the night to lay on their sides with Julian's back pressed against the couch and Riane's back pressed against him. His arms were tangled up around her and she hugged tightly to them while using one of his arms as a pillow.

She had been the first to awake and rub her eyes as the rest of the group stood in the kitchen preparing breakfast and watching them. If Riane had been embarrassed to be found in such a position, she didn't show it. Instead, she stood up, asked what was for breakfast, and went to brush her teeth.

Julian had awaken earlier, but had decided he wanted to remain on the couch with her and fell back asleep. So, when he awoke again, it was because she was getting up to head downstairs.

Seth and Emma were the first ones to leave that morning for the airport, and Joe and Dalen would be the last who would take the rental car back and turn in the beach house keys. Joe was too hung over to hang out at the airport, so it was decided they would remain until they absolutely had to go or if the cleaning crew came to kick them out.

Their planes were not that far apart in departure and arrival times, so Joe would only get a couple extra hours anyway. Riane had been informed she would be heading back with Julian a couple hours before since she had arrived with Joe. Julian had been beside himself with excitement.

Once they had arrived to the airport, Riane said her goodbyes to Emma whose plane had been delayed, so they had been surprised to find them still here. After Seth and Emma finally left, it was only a matter of moments before they were called onto their own planes.

Julian sat in the middle chair and tightly grasped onto Riane's hand as she looked out the window of the plane. She could tell he was nervous about flying and didn't say much to him as he seemed to be chanting to calm himself down.

After the plane had taken off, he calmed down a little bit but held on tightly to her hand and rubbed his thumb along like the back of it as if it were a lucky talisman.

"Are you excited to be going home?" Riane asked. "I feel like we have been gone forever. I can't wait to see Nanette and Bryce. I should tell Ivy we have returned as well."

Julian shrugged his shoulders and then glared at the elderly woman sitting next to him when she bumped him with her elbow. Her family was in the row in front of her and she kept moving to talk to them, though they seemed uninterested in her assessments of the crew or the plane.

"I am going to miss the warmth, but I did kind of miss the snow too." Riane could see his annoyance though she knew it wasn't directed at her, and she was trying to take his mind off the stress that was causing it.

"Yeah." He mumbled.

Riane sighed when she realized he was barely paying any attention to her, and then thought about how she could distract him. A smile came to her lips when a question popped into her mind. "What should we do as our first real date as a couple?"

That got his attention, and Julian turned towards her with his energy renewed. "I don't know. I mean I've never gone on a real date with someone I actually liked. I mean I liked them, but not like "like like" them, you know?"

Riane smiled at his excitement, "Well, what did you do with other girls?"

The humor on his face wore off, "Nothing I would take you to, Riane." He leaned back on his chair and crossed his arms. "Dinner and a movie is shit. I have never understood it. It's a date, you are suppose to talk but you throw a two hour movie into it so neither one of you can have a conversation with the other."

"Well, we already know each other, and I have never been to a movie theater before, remember?" She was trying to keep the conversation upbeat, "Also, I love food. We could try a new place or maybe something you have never tried before."

"I've never had Ethiopian food. I have always wanted to try it, but neither Seth nor Dalen are very adventurous when it comes to food."

"Dalen, really?"

He nodded, "Yeah, you would think Mr. Chef himself would want to taste the world, but he is happy with his small worldview."

She chuckled as the plane's passengers murmured around her in their own conversations, and the flight attendants ran about. "I don't even know what Ethiopian food is, but I can go with you. I am sure I can find something I will like."

He popped up and turned towards her once more with the excitement returned to his eyes. "They serve it all on a flatbread called injera for a plate. You get little servings of beans, lintels, meats, and vegetables, and you basically use your plate as your utensil. There is all kinds to pick from, and it seems like a different eating experience."

"Sounds like fun. We should go when we are done being tired from our trip." Riane folded her hands in her lap and kept eye contact with Julian. She was surprised he was excited about eating at a restaurant, but she was more than willing to tag along.

"No movie though. We can find an arcade or an activity we can do together. I don't want to just sit there staring at a screen."

Riane snorted and rolled her eyes. "Says the guy who invites me to his room to watch old movies on his wall."

"Yeah, well, I was just trying to get you to spend time with me. It didn't matter about the quality of it as long as you were doing it."

She could feel herself blush at his confession and tried to hold it back. She touched the back of her hands to her cheeks since her hands were cold/

He chuckled and she thought for a moment it was at her reaction, but he didn't seem to notice when she looked at him. "Now, I can just ask you on a date instead of tricking you on one, so that is one problem solved."

"There is more than one?" She asked with slight shock as this was news to her. She had thought things were going pretty well between them.

Julian nodded, "Yeah, I still have to get you to like me as much as I like you, and dates are a step in that direction."

"Ugh, I swear, Julian." She felt the flush of her cheeks once more, and looked around the cabin to see if anyone was listening to their conversation.

"What?"

She lowered her voice, "Stop saying things like that so outright. It's embarrassing."

He looked confused, "What is?"

"You saying stuff about liking me and making me like you. It isn't something to be talked about in public." She continued to whisper.

Julian smirked as he watched her get comfortable in her chair and turn her eyes back to the window. "Hey, Riane?"

"Yeah?" She turned her attention back to him.

"I like you a lot." He laughed when she sunk her head into the collar of her jacket to hide her face from the world.

---***---

Emma had quizzed Seth about the events of the previous night after he got his car and began to drive her home. He could tell she was uneasy by the situation, and he had to ensure her over and over again nothing happened between them.

He told her if something had happened then he would admit to her, but they just fell asleep. A thousand worries consumed him as they had the conversation. Did she think he was capable of raping her? Was she angry with herself that she might have slept with a "taken" man? Did she blame him for being in the situation in their first place?

Once she was in front of her apartment, she told him even Riane and Julian fell asleep together and they obviously did nothing, so if it could happen to those two then it could happen to them. She apologized and told him to call her later.

He agreed and with a lighter heart drove home to speak to his father. He considered the conversation over in his head, and tried to think of every question or opinion his father might have about his relationship with Emma and Angela.

He didn't want to come off as whiny, but instead as a man who knew what he wanted and wasn't afraid to ask for it.

In his heart, he knew this would disappoint his father, after all he had been close friends with Angela's father since he was a kid. Bringing the two families together through marriage meant a great deal to the two of them.

After a couple dates with Angela, he just didn't see her in the same light. She was once detached and cold, but pleasant enough to be around. Once he suggested that they make a go of a relationship, someone he didn't really know came out.

While it was the truth, he didn't think attacking Angela directly would be the mature route to take. His father wouldn't want to hear such nonsense about his goddaughter, besides it would make him sound small and petty.

He couldn't speak highly of Emma from one side of his mouth, while speaking disparaging about Angela from the other. That wouldn't be a tactic his father would appreciate or respond well too, even if it was the truth.

He was home within an instant and barely remembered driving himself there. As he stepped out of the car, he decided he would get his luggage later or send someone out for it.

Entering the house, he was greeted by one of the staff who was cleaning the rail of the stairway. She was a younger woman, who often flirted with him though it seemed mostly harmless and she didn't really want anything to come of it. After all, he had overheard her flirting with male staff members as well.

"Is my father in?" He asked her.

The brunette gave a nod with a sweet smile on her face. "He is in his study. He wanted to be informed as soon as you arrived home. Should I tell him?"

Seth shook his head, "No, I need to speak to him, so I will be announce myself. Thank you, Candace."

Heading to the back of the house, he found his father's study and took a deep breath before knocking firmly upon it.

When he heard his father's voice telling him to come in, he opened it and stepped inside only to close the door behind him.

His father was sitting in front of the fireplace with a drink in hand. The air smelled like a lit cigar and he noticed one of the table next to his father's large chair.

"Hey, dad." Seth greeted him as he walked over to the other chair and sat down.

He could see his father had drank a couple already, which meant he was probably stressed out about something. For a moment, Seth thought about backing out of this conversation and having it another time, but then his father smiled at him.

"How was your trip? How many hangovers did you get?" Richard chuckled as he took another sip of his whiskey.

He grinned back at her father, "It was great, and quite a few. How was everything while I was gone?"

"Terrible, we simply couldn't get by without you." He teased. "I am surprised you came back here to talk to me. Usually after these trips, you take a nap first."

"Yeah. I wanted to talk to you." Seth knew this was his chance and decided what ever was bothering his father would either be told him or it would remain none of his concern.

"About what?"

He took a deep breath, "I want to end my engagement with Angela." He decided tearing off the bandaid was the best approach, even if it felt strange to not beat around the bush to get to a pleasant state with his father first.

Richard nodded his head, "Yes, I was informed you didn't take her with you. I figured there was an issue. So, who is the girl?"

It didn't surprise him that his father had figured it out so easily, after all if anyone truly knew him in the world, it was his father. "Her name is Emma Mcclure. She is a scholarship student at CHU, and a very nice girl." The ending part was a matter of opinion and Seth didn't even know why he bothered to add it.

His father chuckled, "Is she now?" He took another sip of his whiskey. "So, this nice girl is enough to end your long term engagement over? You are certain there is a future for the two of you, and you are willing to cause issues between myself and Alexander?"

"It is not my intention, but I really like this girl and..." He silenced himself when his father raised his hand.

"How long have you been dating? It can't be that long since it wasn't but a moment ago you asked to make your engagement to Angela more than a simple pinky promise." Richard put his glass down harshly. "Shouldn't you have been spending time with Angela and not sneaking around with this Emma?"

"Emma and I are not dating. I like her, and she won't even consider dating me while I am in a relationship with Angela. So, don't pretend like she is some mistress." He wanted to be firm without being rude to his father.

His father took a deep breath, "I see. What of Angela?"

Seth swallowed, "I do not wish to speak poorly of her, but I don't think we are a good match. She used to be a very nice girl, until we made things official and since then... well, she has been acting rather petty and superior to others."

"Maybe she is just trying to impress you?"

"If that is the case then she chose the wrong course of action." He looked down at his father's empty glass. "Do you want another?"

"No." Richard stared at him for a couple moments, "Before I call her father and upset our friendship, I want to meet Emma."

"Uh, she and I aren't even dating yet, and you want her to meet my parents?" Seth swallowed, "Isn't that asking a little much of someone who is little more than a potential girlfriend?"

"You are asking me to break a verbal contract over this girl. I assume she is aware of your engagement, and therefore if she wishes to be a party for the end of that contract, I wish to be able to look her in the eyes and ask her a couple questions. Is that asking too much?"

Seth shook his head, "I will talk to her about it."

---***---

Julian and Riane left their luggage in the car to deal with later and walked through the front door of the house. They had only been gone for a week, but it felt like a life time ago. So much had changed on their trip, from their own relationship, to how they viewed their friends and those relationships as well.

Riane saw her best friend in the whole world very differently now. She couldn't understand why she was treating Emma with such disdain nor did she care for how she was treating Dalen. She just didn't seem to be herself, and Riane wondered if their argument had changed her.

Julian couldn't have been happier walking through the door. He felt like he hadn't seen his home in such a long time that it took him a moment to adjust himself to his surroundings, but the smell in the air reminded him of home. It wasn't the smell of cooking food; just the smell of his family. That distinct smell every home had because of the residents who lived within.

Shutting the door behind him, Julian called out with glee in his voice to anyone home. "We're back!"

Nanette rushed out of the dining room with a huge smile on her lips, and hurried to hug them both at the same time. "You're both are so tan! I missed you two brats so much. Dinner has been so quiet without you." She touched both of their cheeks with each hand and looked them over. "Did you have fun?"

Riane nodded her head with a grin.

Julian also grinned, "Yes, it was great."

Immediately, Nanette was surprised by her son's friendly demeanor towards her. She was used to forcing a hug on him, and then having him brush her off before heading to his bedroom. "Oh, that's... wonderful."

The sounds of two different individuals running down the hallway upstairs, and then down the stairs had been in the background their entire conversation. Bryce and Zachary appeared, but while Bryce came to greet them Zachary seemed to be reminded that Riane also came with his brother's return. He stopped at the bottom of the stairway and held onto the railing; the grin on his lips fading quickly.

Bryce smiled at Riane and barely acknowledged his brother, "You look so tan."

"That's what I said." Nanette chuckled. "I've missed having a girl around the house. We will have to do something to together to make up for abandoning me to the boys."

Riane giggled and nodded her head, "Alright, we can go shopping or something."

"Was it fun? Did you guys get hung over a lot?" Bryce asked with humor in his voice and his mother seemed to not want to hear the answer, so she rolled her eyes before turning her attention to her youngest son.

"Zachary, what are you doing hovering back there?" She asked and watched the young boy shrug his shoulders.

"Hey." He said to Julian only.

"Hey." Julian replied back and could see something was bothering his baby brother, as he was usually the one bouncing off the walls when he returned from a trip. He decided to deal with it later as he took Riane's hand. "Mom, we have decided to officially become a couple. We are no longer just together for the arranged marriage."

Nanette had thought that occurred some time ago, but decided she didn't know what had really been going on between them. "That's wonderful, dear."

Riane blushed as she couldn't believe he would just announce something like that, but if she made a big deal about it she might cause more of a scene.

Bryce, who was standing in front of her, stared at Riane's face as she turned red. A tightness filled his chest as he saw the slight smile on her lips and the way his brother gently held her hand. The feeling brought with it a realization he had been unable to see until that moment. Though he questioned if he was jealous of his brother having a real girlfriend or was it because that girlfriend was Riane.

Zachary too felt the pangs of jealousy, but this was for his brother. He didn't want her to take him away from him. All the other girls had been someone Julian could easily rid himself of, but he knew the moment Riane stepped in the house she would be different.

His brother never treated her the way he treated the others. They were always given curtness and sent on their way as soon as possible, but Riane wasn't going to be leaving. She had been friends with Julian before coming to live in their home, and she had changed him immediately upon arriving. He loathed how his brother paid her more attention and left him alone.

Even if Bryce was his protector from Julian most of the time, it was Julian he was closest too. It was Julian who shared his intelligence, and it was Julian who played games with him while listening to his stories.

She couldn't have him. He told himself as he headed up the stairs without so much as a word to anyone else.

"Congratulations." Bryce told his brother and Riane with the biggest smile he could muster, though his heart was not truly in it.

Nanette clasped her hands together, "What do you two want for dinner? Anything you want, I'll go get it."

"Honestly, mom, we have eaten out so much, we were hoping you could cook dinner." Julian's words were gently to his mother, which shocked both his brother and her.

Trying to not make a big deal of his sudden change, Nanette smiled, "Of course, anything in particular?"

"Whatever you want, mom. We will just be glad to be eating homemade food." He turned his attention to Riane, "Right?"

"Right."

"We." Nanette mused, "He is talking with a we." She told Bryce before she pinched Julian's cheek gently, "I'll make pesto pasta with the olive, feta, and artichokes that you like, and then maybe some chicken or... I know, I'll add panchetta to it."

"Sounds delicious, mom." Julian clasped Riane's hand tighter and look at her. "You go rest and I'll get our luggage."

"Both of you go rest, and I'll get the luggage." Bryce chuckled and patted his brother on the shoulder, before heading out the door.

Nanette smiled at both of them, "I'll call when dinner is ready, you two take it easy." She headed back into the dining room.

Riane was surprised she didn't ask them if they wanted lunch as they were in time for the meal, and just as she was about to mention something to Julian, Nanette's head popped out the doorway.

"Have you eaten lunch?" She asked.

Riane grinned, "Yes, we got something on the way home." With what answer, Nanette disappeared back into the dining room.

Julian held onto her hand as they walked up the stairs, and let it go when they reached the top. "Well, um, I'll see you later then."

"Ok." She smiled and began to head to her own room, but stopped to look back at Julian whose back was turned to her and walking away. "Or we could watch a movie. I am not very tired."

He turned to look at her with a look a shock on his face, which Riane took the mean that he was unwilling but afraid to say no.

"Nevermind, sorry. You rest." She began to head down the hall.

"No, wait, I'm not tired either. I just thought you'd want to take a nap, but I was just going to watch TV. You want to do it together?"

She grinned and hurried down the hall where she took his hand as they headed into his bedroom. She flung herself on the bed as he went to get his remote controls from the TV stand.

---***---

Joe and Dalen rose silently in the car together. He had offered her a ride home as a way of being able to spend more time with her. It was a snowy day and though the heater was blowing hot air into the car, the chill from outside still seemed to sink all the way to the bone.

After what she had said last night, he hoped she would bring it up again, but he wondered if she even remembered. She wasn't exactly feeling well that morning, and he knew how it felt to do anything like that let alone have meaningful conversation.

Part of him wanted to bring the topic up, but another part thought she would deny the entire conversation. Of course, she had been hung over all morning and on the plane. She hadn't been able to keep anything down for the most part and had gone into the bathroom to vomit during the long plane ride home.

Perhaps now wasn't the time to have a long conversation about their relationship status. As desperately as he wanted to know where they stood, he needed to give her some time to come back to her own senses.

Taking a glance at her out of the corner of his eye as he drove, she had her elbow against the car door and her head in her hand. Her eyes were closed and she breathed heavily through her mouth. Her hair was in a messy ponytail which she had pulled out and put back up several times during the flight. She had also chosen to wear sweatpants and a baggy shirt.

She had brushed her teeth multiple times especially once the flight was over, but there was still a scent of sick in the air. It was not something she could get rid of with some toothpaste and mouthwash, no matter how she tried. It seemed to be coming out of her pores and only a shower coupled with a long nap could help.

In truth, she looked like a disaster, but something about her looking this way in front of him was endearing rather than repulsive. It brought a slight smile to his lips.

As if her internal GPS told her where they were, Joe's eyes popped opened then immediately turned to look out the window before she pointed at the drive through coffee shop. "Oh, white mocha! Extra shot of espresso! Super huge!"

She wasn't speaking in full sentences and hadn't since her first trip to the bathroom on the plane, but it was only because the sound of her own voice hurt her head. He could see whenever she spoke her own eyes would flinch as if she was verbally beating her own brain.

Taking her direction, he pulled into the parking lot and got into line. He didn't think a sugary, caffeinated substance would stay down any better than the water, oatmeal, or anything else she had ingested, but he was willing to give it a try. After all, his car could be cleaned out, and Joe's suffering was far more important.

He ordered the drinks from a less than enthusiastic worker, and then pulled up to the window to be handed two drinks. He had ordered a flat white, which Joe had turned her nose up at him when she heard the less than sugary order.

As he pulled away from the coffee shop, he could hear Joe sipping out of her cup and making moaning sounds to show how pleased she was with her order.

He would take the occasional sip out of his own and tried to do his best to watch for any signs of her turning green.

Instead, she seemed to liven up a little bit. Color returned to her cheeks, and she seemed to awaken slightly.

"Feeling better?" Dalen asked when he thought she might be willing to talk now that there was a gently smile on her lips.

Joe sighed, "The caffeine is making my headache worse, but I think the sugar is helping. My stomach is feeling better. I might actually want to eat when I get home."

"Good." He watched her take a few more sips as he continued to drive. "Do you remember much of last night?"

"I remember getting in a stupid fight with Emma." She groaned and gently smacked her forehead with the palm of her hand, before taking a deep breath. "I can't believe we put hands on each other. Such a stupid thing to do."

"Do you remember what happened after we went downstairs?" He knew this was a bear he shouldn't poke, but he simple couldn't help himself.

"You said nothing happened between us." Joe was obviously set on edge by his question, and her eyes widened as she looked at him.

Dalen shook his head calmly, "I am not talking about sex. Don't worry, I wouldn't take advantage of a girl in that state. Not to mention, you smelled like puke, so I was good." He chuckled playfully.

His humor seemed to calm Joe down, and she shook her head. "So, we talked about something then?"

"Yes, you asked me to be your boyfriend again. I told you we would discuss it in the morning when you were sober." The moment the silence hit him, he realized he had made a horrible mistake. He should have remained quiet and let Joe bring it up in her own time.

"I was drunk." She finally said. "Don't take anything drunk people say with..." She cut herself off. "I am sorry I said something like that."

Dalen felt his heart sink, but he tried to hide it by sighing, "Then I guess this whole week was a bust for us?"

"No, I don't mean we shouldn't see each other, but I think we labeled each other as boyfriend and girlfriend pretty fast. We hadn't even kissed by the time we were calling each other that." She swallowed then quickly drank down a few sips of her coffee. "I mean, we shouldn't be exclusive for now. Not until we are ready to be."

He was ready to be, why wasn't she? He wanted to ask her, but decided it would only cause more issues and he had enough on his plate as it was. If this was the game she wanted to play, then he didn't really know what she expected from him and he disliked being uneasy in any relationship. "I see. I am not really the type to date around though."

"Do you expect me to believe Julian took you guys out, and you never got it on with a girl on while you guys were clubbing?"

He rolled his eyes, and tried his best to keep his annoyance out of his voice, but as soon as he spoke he could hear it. "Of course, but I wasn't dating them, was I? All girls I date, I have been immediately exclusive with, Joe."

She fell quiet for a moment and he thought perhaps this was the silent treatment. He didn't care in the moment as he needed time to think, and decide whether he would agree to this arrangement. He could already see the man in her house named Neil on dates with her.

Perhaps, she already had him picked out and now he was going to be forced to play love triangle or get out early.

Finally, she spoke. "I just want us to slow down. We don't have to be so damn serious all the time with one another. We are just out of high school and I want to be an adult for a while without being tied to someone else."

"Fine." He agreed reluctantly. "However, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time, and discuss this topic again."

"Agreed." Joe returned to sipping on her coffee and staring out the window as the snow fell around them.

Internally, Dalen hated the idea of not being exclusive, but there was really nothing else he could at this point. He would see if he was capable, if he wasn't then he would let her know. Either she would agree to become exclusive or they would have to part ways.

He disliked the latter, but he wasn't going to subject himself to a relationship which made him feel miserable.

---***---

After watching the movie together and eating some popcorn, which Nanette made and brought up to them, Riane went to her room to unpack. She left Julian to do the same, but he just tossed all his clothes dirty or not into the hamper, and threw any other items on top of his dresser.

He was out of his bedroom within five minutes and headed down the hallway to hang in Riane's bedroom. He entered the room without knocking and shut the door behind him before tossing himself on the bed.

Riane was carefully going through her washed and unwashed clothing, and glared at the man who was now laying on some of her items. She watched him yank the shirts out from underneath him and stretch them out in the process before creating another pile above his head.

After he finished the display, she turned around and opened the door behind her, which caused Julian to use his foot to fling the opening door closed.

Taking a deep breath, Riane had to turn back around and open the door. This time she didn't just toss it open, but ensured it made it to the wall where Julian's feet could not reach.

"No privacy like that." Julian complained and picked up one of her bras which was laying on the bed beside him.

Riane snatched the bra away and tossed it to the other side of the room. "We don't need privacy." She was obviously annoyed, but Julian found it more entertaining than off putting. It was mostly because she had yet to kick him out and seemed to be dealing with his childishness.

"Why not?" He asked as she pulled out some of her clothes from the suitcase and tossed them in the white wicker basket behind her.

Pulling out some lotion and make-up from one of the pockets of her luggage, she turned around and began to return them to their place on her vanity. The small travel size items found their way into the drawers. "I don't want people to get the wrong idea."

"We just spent two hours alone in a dark room with the door closed, isn't that when people could get the wrong idea?" He chuckled at how ridiculous she was being.

After she finished with her vanity, she faced him as she placed her hands on her hips. "Your mom knows we were just watching a movie."

"So, she doesn't know what we were doing in there." He continued to grin at her as he was obvious enjoying teasing her.

Riane was not amused and rolled her eyes. "She kept coming in to check on us and we weren't doing anything."

Julian grinned, "There is a lot two people could stop doing once they hear the door starting to open, and you can hear my mom walking down the hallway."

She sighed audibly, before returning to her task at hand. This conversation was going no where and she knew it the moment they began it. "Have you finished unpacking?"

He nodded, "Yeah, I didn't bring much." He told her before returning to their conversation as he wasn't quite done with it. "Anyway, what exactly is the wrong idea when two consenting adults are alone in a room together?"

"We are no where close to being consenting, Julian. So, just take the idea right out of your head." Riane was both embarrassed by the question and angered, which forced her to focus on not blushing though she doubted she succeeded.

He smirked as he could see her discomfort. "So, I am not suppose to think about doing it with my girlfriend?"

She froze for a moment, as if the very words he had spoken at stunned her, before finally looking at him. "No."

"Come on, Riane. We already slept together." He joked and joy only grew in his heart when her face turned bright red.

"We fell asleep together on a couch. We did not sleep together." She quickly spat out the words and then looked at the open door. Hurrying over, she closed it slowly until there was only a small crack, which made her feel like there was now some privacy, but proof they weren't doing anything in the room.

Julian chuckled once more while he watched her check the hallway before closing the door. "Oh, so now we need some privacy."

Turning back towards him, Riane smacked at his foot. "Stop it." Her voice had taken a more playful tone, but he could still see she was embarrassed. As she went back to her luggage, she folded a shirt and spoke at the same time. "You should respect the fact I am not ready and I have no idea when I will be, if ever."

He rolled over onto his back, which caused him to use the shirts he had pulled from under him as a pillow. Shoving his hands behind his head he shrugged, "I've got hands."

She looked confused for a moment, before smacking him again on the leg. "Eww, gross, Julian!"

He laughed as she continued to sort through her luggage. They fell quiet, but he was content to watch her do such a menial task.

This past week had been an experience. One where he got to spend nearly every waking second with Riane, and it made him realize he actually liked her and not just the idea of her. She was fun and considerate, and he outright enjoyed being able to do nothing but spend time with her.

It wouldn't be long now, before classes would start again, and he didn't like the hours she would be away. He knew there was nothing he could do about it, except enjoy what little time they had left together.

There were plans brewing in his mind already of how he could spend more time with her. From dates, to studying, to movies, and of course to hanging out with other friends.

As he sat there considering what they could do, he realized he didn't know any of Riane's interests. She just seemed to have adopted the interest of him and his friends when she joined the group, and never really offered them anything in return.

He knew she liked music, but that seemed to be the only thing she had of her own. What did she do before she met them?

He imagined a great deal of homework and then reading alone in her room, but he had never really asked her. Riane never truly explained to him who she was, and perhaps it was because she didn't know. Everything seemed so new to her and when she didn't enjoy something she seemed to say so, though he wouldn't know if the rest of the time she was just being polite.

"Have you ever played a video game?" He asked.

Riane looked surprised by the sudden end of the silence, "Not like the ones you and your brothers play. I have a couple games on my cellphone."

"So, you have never played an MMO?"

She slowly shook her head, "MMO?"

He grinned, "It's a game where hundreds if not thousands of people play on the same server. I bet you would like it. They are like living in another world."

"Oh."

She didn't seemed sold on it, but Julian already knew he had to show her in order to see if she would be interested.

"I play a bunch of them. Why don't we try a few in my room, and you can see if you like any of them, then maybe we can start new characters and play together."

"Sure."

He grinned then looked towards her laptop, "I don't know if your laptop can play them though. It's alright, we can buy another one tomorrow."

Riane had no idea what he was talking about, but decided she was too tired to inquire any further and just hoped this was another one of his ideas he would let die.

Leave comments at: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=507

---***---
The rest of winter break disappeared within the blink of an eye. There were dates between the couples, except for Seth and Emma, who had yet to meet his father. It was intentional on Emma's part as the idea of meeting the parents before they began a relationship seemed terrifying.

Riane and Julian, on the other hand, were a constant duo. Anywhere that one would be everyone knew the other would appear as well. Dalen and Seth enjoyed hanging with their friend, Riane, but there were times they would have liked it to be just the males. However, Dalen knew the two were just running hot and heavy right now, and things would slow down over time. They just had to be patient.

The last few weeks of winter break for Joe and Dalen had been frustrating for him. There were times it felt like she wanted nothing more than to see him, and other times it seemed like he had become some sort of chore for her. He was beginning to wonder if she was even worth the effort, and just asking himself the question made him know the answer.

Joe pulled up next to the school to allow Riane out, and smiled at her as she opened the door. “I'll see you around three.”

“Alright, have a good day.” Riane smiled back and stepped out of the car only to realize Blake was standing at the gate.

He stood up straight from leaning on the gate when they made eye contact and gave a slight wave to her.

Riane sighed as she knew this moment would have to happen, but she had hoped for a few more days or even hours. Shutting the car door and tossing her backpack over her shoulders, she walked towards him and stopped when she stood before him. “Hi, Blake.”

“Hi.” He grinned as he looked her over. It felt like it had been years since he last seen her, and almost as if this person before him was a stranger. “Did you have a nice vacation?”

She nodded with a slight smile on her lips as if she were reliving the memories. “Yes, it was... a great deal of fun.”

“Great. That's really good.”

A small pause in the conversation occurred immediately and Riane knew exactly what road this was going down.

“Were you waiting for me?”

He nodded, “Yes, I wanted to talk to you. Adonia told me what she said.”

Riane didn't know why she played dumb, but it was all she could do in the moment to stave off the embarrassment building in her chest. “What she said?”

Asking the question only made it harder for Blake, and he swallowed hard. “She told you about my feelings for you. Romantic feelings.”

It was Riane's turn to swallow, “Oh, yes. Don't worry too much about it. I know she was just trying to manipulate the situation. She was distressed and all is forgiven.”

Her words brought a lightness to his entire being and another smile was offered. “That's wonderful, thank you, Riane.”

“Thank you?” She chuckled, “I don't know why I deserve that.”

He shrugged, “I thought you would be freaked out. Truth is I have been hiding my feelings about you from myself as well, even knowing how you really felt. I didn't fully understand them until Julian came around.”

Those words were meant to be kind, but they tore into her heart like a knife. She hadn't had any reaction when Adonia told her, but hearing them from Blake made her heart heavy. She didn't know what he expected from telling her all this, and she was afraid the outcome would cause more of a divide in their friendship.

“Blake, thank you for...” Riane's words were interrupted by a male voice calling her name from the street.

“Riane!” Julian rushed over to her with his backpack flopping back and forth. He was out of breath just running from the car to her. “I told you to wait for me! I wanted to ride to school together!” His voice was almost that of a whining child.

She frowned, “You were running late. I wasn't in the mood.”

Julian didn't seem bothered by her harsh tone, “Psh, please! I was barely behind you getting here.” His eyes suddenly registered Blake standing before his girlfriend and he immediately tossed his hands around her shoulder. “Hey, Blake.”

Riane rolled her eyes and shrugged off his arm. “We are having a private conversation.”

“We are together. When you are with me you are in private.” Julian told her with a big smile and then looked towards Blake with a more sinister one. “Riane is my girlfriend. Like for reals.”

“Yes, you two are engaged. I know.” Blake almost found the man's immediate jealousy of him to be both a source of pride and somehow endearing. “Riane is right. We are having a private conversation. It won't be much longer and then I'll give you back your girlfriend.”

“Please, go stand over there.” Riane motioned pass the many students who were filtering in through the gate to a nearby tree.

Julian looked between the two before reluctantly heading over to where he was told. He mumbled under his breath about not being her dog as he walked away.

The comment made Riane grin briefly before turning her attention back to Blake. “Thank you for being honest about all of this. I know it must be difficult for you.”

He gave a brief nod.

“However, Julian is right and none of it matters anymore. Julian and I are seriously dating now and not just because our parents put us in an arrangement.” She took a deep breath before continuing. “I wish you would have said something sooner, but those feelings are now gone. Please be respectful of my relationship.”

“Of course, I would never stand in your way, Riane.” He looked towards the other man and then back to her. “Do you love him?”

She shrugged, “Love is not something I would say that is there, but maybe someday. I don't know. We are taking it one day at a time.”

He gave her a gentle grin, “I understand.”

In truth he had no idea how his delicate friend could ever have feelings for that bulldozer of a human being, but it wasn't his place to to interfere. She told him she was happy with the arrangement and he had to be accepting of it.

“Now, you and Adonia aren't together, who are you going to eat lunch with?” Riane asked with worry in her voice.

“I haven't thought about it.”

She looked towards Julian as she pressed her lips together, “You should come sit with us. I would like you two to get to know each other better.”

Blake chuckled, “I don't know if Julian would appreciate that.”

“It doesn't matter what he would appreciate. I am not his to be controlled and he won't keep me from my childhood friend simply because that friend is a man.” Riane could hear Julian grunt and groan and when she looked over to him he was pointing to the clock on his cellphone screen. She simply rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to Blake.

“I will think about it.” He opened his arms up and gave her a hug.

Riane returned the hug, but didn't realize he had positioned himself to be able to see Julian. Blake chuckled internally as he watched Julian's body stiffen and then he frowned deeply when the two made eye contact.

When the hug broke, Blake was thoroughly amused by the other man's antics so he continued to the contact by placing his hand on her shoulder. “Have a good day, alright?”

“I will, and I hope I'll see you at lunch.”

He nodded before walking away and when he looked over towards Julian, he had already rushed to Riane's side.
---***---
“I can't believe you have him too!” Joe laughed as she sat in the lunch room of the cafeteria with Neil. They had both gotten sandwiches and chips for their meal. “He is the most boring professor I have ever had. I swear I could fall asleep to him reading anything, no matter how exciting it is.” She picked up a chip from her plate and bit into it.

Neil was grinning as he watched her with his heart fluttering at her laughter. “Yeah, I wish I had switched classes when I got the chance, but he does all multiple choice tests so I guess it makes up for it.”

Sitting across from the table from one another, he was leaning with his elbows on the table while Joe finished up her meal. She was a terribly slow eater.

“Spent a week in Hawaii and I already can't wait for summer break. I am still so tired.” She stretched out her arms.

“How was it? Do anything fun?” He continued to be absolutely enamored by everything she had to say and Joe was beginning to see it herself.

She nodded, “Yeah, I spent most of my time with Dalen. We were trying to give our relationship another chance.”

“Oh, how did it go?” He was somewhat deflated by the news, which was why Joe had mentioned it at all. She wanted to see if she was really seeing what she thought or if it was all an ego boost in her own mind.

“We decided to keep dating, but we are going to see other people as well. I think we moved too fast the first time. We never even really dated and just went straight into being boyfriend and girlfriend. I think those labels got in our way.” She took a bite out of her sandwich as she tried to figure out if she was excited by Neil's sudden romantic interest in her or if this felt unnatural and she wanted it to stop immediately.

“Oh, that doesn't sound very promising.” He leaned back in his chair and grabbed his soda bottle from the table as he did so. “You can't really retrofit a relationship, can you?” He realized how jealous he was sounding, but it was solid advice.

“We aren't retrofitting our relationship. We are trying a different road because the path we were walking wasn't working for us.” She bit into her pickle. “If it doesn't work, then we will just have to figure something new out or call it quits.”

He shrugged, “I guess. Can I ask what the issues seems to be?”

Joe swallowed, “Mostly me, I guess.”

Neil raised an eyebrow, “Really? I never thought I would hear a woman say she is the fault in her current relationship.”

Joe grinned briefly before continuing to speak. “Yeah. I guess... I don't know. What really pissed me off was we got into a disagreement, and he asked me to leave. Not in a throw me out of the house way, or in an angry passionate way, but in a very calm way. He even told me we would talk about it later, but for now we would only argue and get nothing worked out.”

“So, he asked you to leave and it set you off? Why?” Neil leaned his elbows back on the table and kept his bottle in one of his hands.

“I don't know. I guess, he has no passion. He is calm and rational, which was something I liked about him in the first place. However calm and rational you are though, can you be passionate about someone and just politely ask them to leave while you are making them food?” She snorted.

“It is definitely acting as a bad host, yes.”

Joe didn't know if he liked his response or not and decided to continue to explain herself. “Honestly, the part that set me off was he told his sister about me.”

“Was he not supposed to?” Neil didn't know why he was beginning to sound like he was defending the guy, but he wanted all his facts before he could come to any opinion.

“Look, his family is really rich and for him to get approval of me from his sister, made me feel like I was some sort of choice pet and he wanted his mommy and daddy to agree to it.” She swallowed down the last bite of her sandwich.

Neil remained quiet while she finished eating as he could see there was more she wanted to add to the conversation.

She finished her bite and took a drink from her water bottle before tightening the cap on it and harshly placing it on the table. “When he realized my insecurity all I wanted to do was run away from him anyway, because I questioned whether or not I really was a gold digger. Do I actually like this guy or what he can provide for me? I wanted to push him away, but every time I did he would come bouncing right back.”

Neil nodded his head, “So, he really likes you a lot and you don't know if you feel the same.” He watched her nod. “It seems to me that if you are worried you might be a gold digger then you aren't one. If you are worried his family might see you as one then it's not a worry to concern yourself over, because Dalen will make sure you know he doesn't see you in that light. Does he make you feel like you are just something to throw money at?”

She shook her head, “No, I won't let him buy me anything.” She leaned back in her chair and sighed as students chatted and ate their meals around them. There was conversation going on around them, but to their ears it was only background noise.

“Maybe your problem is you are so scared he will think of you in that manner, so you have walled yourself up from being hurt.” As much as he didn't want to encourage her to try harder in her relationship, he knew it was his job as a friend to help and set aside his own feelings for the moment. No matter how much it felt wrong.

Joe slowly nodded her head, “Maybe you are right. However, maybe I am just incapable of being with a man whose financial status is so much more than my own. I don't want to feel taken care of, but instead I want to feel like an equal.”

“Have you talked to him about this?” He knew honesty would either worked to bring them closer together or finally end their relationship, and the confusion in his mind made it difficult to decide which way he hoped it would go.

She shook her head, “No, he would get all rational about it, and that would only serve to piss me off. There is nothing worse than trying to explain your feelings and get someone to ease your fears, only for them to act like your feelings are meaningless in their mind and want to prove to you logically they have no value.”

Neil slightly grinned and shook his head, “Yeah, I can see how that would be frustrating. I would still give it a shot, and if it doesn't work out, you can always date my broke ass.”

Joe smiled at him, laughed, and slowly shook her head. “I don't want to be a sugar momma either.”

“Hey, hey, hey! I am not a gold digger!” He jested. “I just want to latch my wagon to someone who will one day be a nurse, is that so bad?”

“You're a dumbass.” Joe chuckled. “Thanks for talking to me about this. Riane is close with Dalen, and I find it difficult to talk to her about one of her friends. Especially, when Dalen hasn't really done anything wrong except be extremely rational.”

Neil listened as he nodded his head gently, “I get that. One a different note, I would like to see Riane again. How did that string bean turn out?”

“Still a string bean. She can eat anything she wants and she is tiny as can be.” Joe laughed, “Oh, she is engaged now.”

“Oh, yeah?”

She nodded, “Yeah, I didn't like him at first, but... I think they are good for each other. It's nice watching my friend fall in love for the first time, and honestly I think it is his first time too.”

“Fall in love? Didn't you say they were engaged?”

Joe laughed, “Sorry, I forgot you aren't from that bizarre world.”

---***---
Julian eyed the man who had followed Riane into the cafeteria. The two had gotten their meal together before walking over to Julian and his friends. Emma had arrived earlier with Seth instead of arriving with Riane.

Normally, Riane and Julian would go to lunch together, but Riane had told him to go ahead because she had an errand to run. Apparently, the errand was grabbing Blake from his classroom and inviting him to lunch.

“Everyone, this is Blake.” Riane said as she approached the table and introduced everyone one by one to her friend.

For Julian, the crowded cafeteria with all its noise simply did not exist as he stared down the man sitting down in front of him. Blake was nothing but pleasant and offered smile to everyone, even the man who couldn't be bothered to pretend he was happy for his presence.

Riane sat down next to Julian with Dalen sitting on their side, and Seth and Emma sitting on the other side with Blake.

“Our group keeps growing.” Dalen said out loud in hopes of starting up a conversation and taking the attention away from Julian's strange staring contest.

Emma chuckled, “It is! Blake, you were childhood friends with Riane?”

He nodded, while he adjusted the food on his tray and set a napkin on his lap. “Yes, since middle school.”

“All my friends are back home or attending other colleges. It has been good to finally make friends here. I have had a rough go at it.” She told him and he watched her speak though he wanted desperately to eat his meal.

Blake grinned as he picked up the bread roll from his tray, “Yes, I heard you went to Hawaii with everyone. I bet that was a lot of fun.”

“Yes, it was a great experience.” Emma kept looking towards Julian to see if he would settle down.

Julian reached for Riane's hand only to have her smack it away, “I need it to eat.” She mumbled to him, “Eat your sandwich.”

Seth who was watching patiently, decided he didn't want anything to do with this situation and concentrated on eating the soup and salad in front of him. His eyes never left his plate because he didn't wish to make eye contact with anyone.

“How as your winter break?” Riane asked her friend, who had brought a spoonful of chili to his mouth but lowered it to answer her question.

“Quiet. I read ahead for a couple of classes so I am more prepared when the subject matter comes up.” He quickly put a spoonful of his meal in his mouth when he realized these people were going to talk through the entire meal.

“Oh, I forgot we do that. I am sorry I missed it.” Riane had a burger in front of her which she had only chosen because it had a great deal of cheese on it, and cheese was the only thing that she had wanted.

“It's quiet alright. You were having fun on your very first vacation. I wish I had been there to see it, but I am a homebody.” He crumbled up some crackers into his meal and completely ignored Julian whose eyes were still locked on him.

Emma and Dalen looked between each other, uneasy about the situation and seemed to adopt Seth's solution of eating without discussing anything. Julian's intensity was worrying and they were at a loss of what to do if he were to act out.

“I have a bunch of photos. I'll show them to you sometime.” She told him while slowly beginning to understand the uncomfortableness of her friends. She was about to kick Julian under the table when he spoke.

“Loser!” Julian announced and looked around the table, “Spending your vacation time studying. What a loser thing to do.” He laughed as if the rest of the table would laugh with him. It was as if he had been on a delay and didn't realize they were no longer speaking about how Blake had spent his winter break.

Blake grinned at him and didn't seem upset in the slightest, “I am sure compared to your lifestyle, mine is rather dull. How was your Christmas, Riane?”

“Very nice. Julian's family is pretty traditional with a tree, a dinner, and gift giving. How did you spend yours? The usual?”

“Phone call from the parents and Chinese food.” He grinned, “I watched 'A Christmas Story' on repeat probably four and a half times.”

Julian snorted, “That movie is for children.”

“We are all children at heart, Julian.” Blake retorted.

As if it was the greatest insult ever hurled at him, Julian went from slightly annoyed to yelling which caused some of the students around them to look his way. “Hey, I am not a child!”

Riane stared at him in shock for a moment before beginning to chuckle. Her eyes turned to Blake, “Sorry, he is just being jealous.”

“I am not jealous.” Julian's voice quickly changed from that of a yelling child to one of a whining one as soon as he spoke to Riane.

Blake nodded, “I could tell.” He turned his eyes towards Julian, “You have nothing to fear from me, Julian. I am just her friend. Just like these two.” He said pointing to Seth and Dalen, before eating another bite of his chili.

“You are nothing like these two.” Julian mocked his tone of voice when he spoke the last two words and pointed at his friend.

Riane sighed, “You are being rude to my friend. Stop it.”

Julian glared at her for several moments, “You are being rude to me!” He finally snapped back. “What girl in their right mind would bring their old crush to eat with their boyfriend? Is that not something we should have talked about first?”

“Old crush or not, he is my best friend, and you should be nicer to him.” She responded and didn't notice how awkward calling him her old crush made Blake.

“You know what?” Julian barked and stood from the table. He scooped up his sandwich with one hand, put his pack of chips under his arm, and snatched up his soda. “I don't have to take this!” He hurried to storm out of the cafeteria.

“Julian, wait!” Riane called after him.

He grinned when he thought he had won, but removed the grin as he turned around to face her. “What?”

“You forgot your phone.” She walked over to him and slipped it into his pants pocket. “Don't sit in the cold for too long.” She patted his shoulder before sitting back down at the table and looking towards Blake. “How are your classes so far?”

Blake turned his attention from Julian who was standing there motionless. “Good so far. I think I am going to like all my professors this quarter.”

“Yeah, me too.” Riane continued to eat her meal as Julian stood watching them, but after a moment he headed out the door.

“Are you sure that is alright?” Blake asked and motioned towards Julian's exit with his thumb.

She nodded her head, “Yeah, force him to commit to his temper tantrums and the consequences of his threats, really makes them happen a lot less.”

“Wish we had figured that out.” Dalen mumbled to his Seth, who nodded at him.

Emma seemed to finally be breathing again, “Wow, I expected worse after hearing stories about his anger.”

Riane shrugged her shoulders, “He wouldn't do anything too ridiculous. At least, he hasn't in a while. Oh, look, he came back.”

Julian stepped in side the cafeteria and hurried to nearby table to eat his meal. He wished he had just taken his entire tray with him which was sitting next to Riane.

The group chuckled at him, and Riane shook her head. “I swear he is such a goober some times.”
---***---
The car pulled up as Emma sat at the bus stop and she knew immediately it was Seth. He had been asking her to visit his father for sometime now, and it just seemed like an awkward situation to be put into as they were not dating.

She hadn't explained her hesitation to him and only gave grunts and groans in response; along with several head nods. It was not an argument she wanted to have and she had hoped she could put this off for as long as possible.

Seth rolled down his window and offered a winning smile, “Hey, pretty lady, would you like a ride home?”

Emma grinned back, before she replied. “I don't take rides from strangers.” As she spoke, her phone beeped informing her of a text message. It was Riane.

“He is pouting in the car. He bought me a candy bar and threw it at me when he got in.” Her text read.

She chuckled before replying, “I am not sure if that is abusive or just a really aggressive way to give chocolates.”

Seth waited patiently for her to write her text, “Do you want a ride?” He was losing his patience, but it was less to do with her and more to do with the frustration of their relationship and the fact that she didn't seem to be in any rush to spend time with him.

Looking up from her phone, Emma took a deep breath as other people started to approach the bus stop. She knew that Seth's car was blocking the way and she didn't want to get into a debate with him in public.

Standing up, she snatched her backpack up from the ground at her feet and headed over to get into the passenger seat.

“Are you alright? Do you know him?” An middle aged man asked when he witnessed her getting into the car.

“Yes, he is a friend from school. Thank you though!” Emma smiled at him and watched the man wave one hand at her before sitting down on the bench.

Climbing into the passenger seat, she shoved her backpack onto the ground at her feet and put her seatbelt on.

“A friend from school?” He asked with disappointment in his voice, as he started to drive away from the bus stop.

Her brows came together, “I am sorry. I thought it was better then explaining the increasingly complicated relationship we have. No, sir, I am fine. This is my friend's friend. We have a thing for each other, but he is engaged to someone else. The only way he can end his engagement is if I go speak to his father. He has to approve of me, you see. Then after meeting a father of a man, I am not a hundred percent sure I have a future with, I might be able to date him.”

“I suppose friend from school is better, but just friend would have sufficed.” Seth continued to drive away from the school before parking next to a curb near a couple local shops. He had an ulterior motive to driving her home, and since she brought it up he thought it was best to just hurry the conversation along.

When he did so, Emma immediately tensed as she knew the conversation was going to happen now. “Why are we stopping here?”

“My dad is at home today. I would really appreciate it if you came to meet him. I know this isn't the ideal situation, but you and I have never really been in the ideal situation.” He noticed how she stared out the window unable to make eye contact with him.

“I don't know, Seth.” She swallowed and began to unconsciously play with her fingers and rub her foot with her other foot.

“If you don't want to do it, I can't make you, but understand nothing will happen between us. This is the only way my father will agree. It will be painless, I promise.” His heart raced as he thought about her telling him she couldn't do this, and they would have to remain friends. He knew it was a possibility since the moment he told her about this, and the more she put it off the more he realized nothing was going to happen between them.

“What if he doesn't like me? Then I have to leave the house embarrassed and shamed, because some rich asshole thought I wasn't good enough. I get enough of that shit from my classmates, I don't need adults jumping in.” She swallowed once more.

Seth put his hand over her own to stop her from playing with her fingers any further. This also put an end to her playing footsie with herself. “My dad is not some rich asshole who thinks people who don't have money are worthless. He's just a doctor and gentleman. I have never seen him be rude to anyone.”

Emma shrugged.

“We had this maid who was stealing from us. My father asked her to return what she had taken when she was caught and he wouldn't press charges. She agreed and brought everything back.” She finally looked him in the eye as he told the story. “He did fire her,” Her eyes lowered as she was obviously disappointed or fearful, he couldn't tell. “but he found out she was paying for her son's treatments and my father paid for it all. He told me he couldn't keep a thief around his home and family, but he could help a woman in dire need out. That's my dad. He is nice. Trust me.” He patted her hands and offered his best smile.

“Why does he have to meet me? Can't he just trust his son?” She turned her body so she could face him better in the car.

Seth shrugged, “My father never asks for more than he needs. If he wants to meet you then there is a reason. I suspect it is just to see you for himself. After all, he will be ending a long term engagement with a close friend of his, and I think he wants to know who he is doing this for. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“So, he'll be grading me or judging me or I don't know, I am just a piece of meat which he gets to decide stays at his table or not.”

Seth chuckled, “I highly doubt those are his plans. While my father trusts my judgment, I think he wants to see for himself. Like I said. There is no reason he will have to reject us or you.”

“What if he thinks I am a gold digging tart?” He voice shook as she spoke, even though she tried to hide her fear.

Seth responded in a playful manner, and once again patted her hands “Are you a gold digging tart?”

“No.”

“Then he won't think you are a gold digging tart.” He leaned back, “I know you don't want to do this, but I am asking you to just trust me when I say my dad won't hurt you. He isn't the type of man to go around tearing people apart. His whole profession is based around making people feel comfortable in their own bodies.”

Emma slowly nodded her head, “Alright, but if I leave there feeling like shit, I will never talk to you again.”

“Now that is a deal I know I can make.” He smiled before starting the car again. “Don't worry, he is going to like you. Hopefully, not as much as I do, but close enough.”

Emma looked out the window as they changed direction to head towards Seth's home. The snow around them felt like foreboding and her heart pounded in her chest. She didn't want to do this, but she had agreed and fear filled her heart.
---***---
Riane had left school in Joe's car and hadn't waited for Julian at the gate as his text had asked of her. She didn't want to go home right away and convinced Joe to get frozen yogurt with her. She knew she had to talk to Joe about how she had treated Emma during the vacation, but her heart just wasn't in it for the moment.

During the course of their midday treat, Blake sent her several texts which was odd for him. Normally, he would return home and set his phone aside for the evening. Today, seemed like a special day and it was as if he was trying to rekindle their friendship.

Stepping into the house and heading up the stairs, Riane chuckled at the latest text she received from him. He had asked her if she had a certain professor that day and suggested someone should tell him ugly holiday sweaters are over now.

Riane opened her door to her bedroom as she was about to respond back, but instead her phone fell to the ground as Julian literately jumped out at her to startle her.

“Damn it, Julian!” She snapped as she reached down to pick up her phone.

Julian chuckled at her reaction as she stepped inside her bedroom and he followed in after her. “You should have seen your face.”

Riane shook her head unamused and replied to Blake, before setting her phone down on her vanity. “Don't just enter my room without my permission. It's very rude.”

“It's rude to be asked to wait for someone at the gate and not even attempt to do so.” He fired back. “I was already there when you arrived, but you were in a big rush to get away. Where did you go? Off to see Blake?”

“I went with Joe to eat frozen yogurt, and your jealousy of Blake is very unflattering. It's only cute in romance novels.” She pulled off her boots and tossed them into her closet before pulling her laptop out of her backpack.

“Well, it's disrespectful to bring a former crush to eat lunch with your boyfriend and his friends.” Julian leaned against the door which caused it to shut.

Opening her laptop, she sighed. “Fine, I will eat lunch with him alone then. I'll ask Emma if she wants to join.”

Jumping up from his leaned position, he scowled. “That is not what I meant.”

Riane had sat down at her desk and turned her chair to face him. “Let's get something straight here, Julian. I do not care if you feel slighted. Blake has been my best friend since middle school, and I have no intention of ending my friendship with him for your sake. If you can not muster the strength to be able to trust me and be kind to him, then our relationship will come to an end.”

He could feel the anger burning in his chest, “So, you would pick him over me? I am just secondary to your life long crush?”

She leaned back in her chair, “If Blake had hinted or demanded I give you up in order to keep a relationship with him, then he would be told the exact same thing.”

He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

“He didn't do anything of the sort. He admitted his feelings for me, and I asked him to respect us and what we have to together. He had no problem doing so.” She turned her chair back around, but was immediately spun around after Julian jumped across the room to make her look at him.

“He admitted feelings for you? And you still brought him around?” He asked as he held onto the chair by the arm rest.

“Yes, and he agreed to leave it be. He is being respectful towards you and showing his maturity. I wish I could say the same for you.” She shoved his hands off her chair and turned them around to type in the password for her laptop.

Julian turned the chair around once more. “What does that mean? He is better than me because you think he is being mature. He is probably making plans right now to make it look like I am the ass and he is some victim in order for us to break up.”

“I don't think he needs a plan to make you look like the ass right now. You have it all worked out.”

Standing up straight, Julian glared down at her. “You think this is being an ass?”

“You were humiliating today, Julian. I brought my best friend around to meet my boyfriend, and instead of just trying to be polite, you had a temper tantrum and stormed out of the cafeteria. Only to come back inside when you realized it was too cold for you.” Riane stood up from her chair.

Julian scoffed and was about to speak when Riane continued.

“I pick who I spend time with, not you. I will not be bossed around by you because you have the label of boyfriend now. You either trust me or you don't, and if you don't then lets end things now before either one of us get more attached.”

Dozens of sentences and feelings entered his mind. He wanted to accuse her of wanting to break up with him after finding out what Blake felt for her.

He wanted to tell her to calm down that he was just playing around and he'll be a perfect gentleman from now on. That was a lie she would see right through.

Riane and he maintained eye contact for several moments as he worked things out in his mind. “So, what will it be?” She asked.

Julian's hands grabbed her cheeks and he planted a large kiss on her lips, before throwing himself backwards onto her bed. “What do you have for homework tonight?”

She resisted the desire to wipe his unexpected kiss away and sat back down in her chair. She was pretty certain this wasn't over, but if he just wanted to change the subject then he could for now.

“Do you need my help?” He kicked his shoes off so he could bring his feet onto the bed. Wiggling up to her pillows like he was a snake, he smiled at her with the most innocent smile he could muster.

“I changed my major over the break to music, so you might not need to help me with a great deal anymore.” She told him as she turned her back to him.

Julian popped up to a sitting position, “Hey! That's awesome! One day, people will ask me what my wife does for a living and I'll get to brag about you are a pianist for some symphony or another.” He clasped his hands together.

Riane rolled her eyes at the wife comment, but part of her giggled internally at the thought. “Yeah, and what will I tell people my husband does? Tom cats around? Lays at home and plays video games? Have you picked a major yet?”

He laid back down on the bed, “Don't you worry about it. I'll keep a business major for now, and I'll find myself later.”

Riane's phone beeped from across the room and she got up to check it. The message was from Blake asking if she wanted to do a study group at his apartment tonight.

A soft smile came to her lips as she thought about her friendship with him finally coming back, and how much she genuinely missed him.

“What are you smiling about?” Julian asked with curiosity and a childish grin which matched her own.

She shrugged and was about to agree to the study group with Blake when Julian spoke.

“After homework, let's watch a movie. I just got an old one I ordered three months ago. I can't wait to see it, but I have been holding off until you could watch it with me.” He told her as he stared at his own phone screen.

Riane looked up at him and erased her response to Blake, before replying. “Sorry, I have plan tonight. Maybe some other time this week.”

Blake sent quick response of, “No problem.”

“A movie sounds good. I don't have much to do tonight, so why don't you get the popcorn going and set up the movie. It shouldn't take me more than a half hour.”

Julian jumped out of her bed, “Alright, see you in thirty then.” He hurried out of the room as if he was afraid she might change her mind.

Next Chapter: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=523

Leave comments at: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=507