Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 42: Outside These Walls

The morning had come and the roof was nearly finished. Anton and Jolon had the females assisting them bring the shingles up to the roof, but they did the rest of the work together. The last two days they had been laughing and talking as if their fight had never occurred. No one knew why the two of them had come to blows and no one knew how it had all ended. The tension was gone and that was enough to satisfy mostly everyone.

Last night there had been enough of the roof put together that some of the girls slept inside the structure. Ophelia had contemplated joining them but the reminder that some of them had been the ones to harass her was too much to overcome. She did not know how she would manage to live with them in the same dorm once again, though she supposed Lenore would be there.

"Men are odd." Harona finally spoke up in their sewing circle as she looked up towards the roof.

Females moved all around them. Some carrying wood, other shingles, and others were bringing in the flowers that would eventually go into their courts garden. They had arrived early and there was nothing they could do but accept them and place them somewhere out of harm's way.

Saena nodded. "I live with brothers and a father, and yet I do not understand what happened between them."

Ophelia smirked as she continued to sew.

"It seems that their problem has been resolved, but I feel as if it couldn't possibly be. How can one forgive and forget such deeds so quickly? They were practically falling all over each other when we returned the other day." Harona looked down at her curtains.

"I asked Jolon what happened and he smiled before telling me that everything was alright now." Saena informed her. "He would say nothing else."

"Men are different creatures than us. Let them be." Ophelia told the two women.

"Speaking of different creatures." Saena motioned with her head towards the planning table, where Lenore and Santh were speaking to each other with smiles on their lips.

Santh reached over and brushed some hair away from her eyes and placed it behind her ear. He leaned against his elbow as the two chatted as if they were the only ones in the entire court.

"Who is that and where did he bury the real Santh?" Saena joked.

Ophelia and Harona chuckled together.

"We missed that part too. Enemies one day and now suddenly lovers." Ophelia watched them for a moment. "I always thought I would see something of the two of them coming together. Considering how long everyone has waited for Santh to finally admit his feelings to himself. We all thought it would never happen after a time."

Remus appeared, "Are we discussing the uncomfortable couple?" He asked as he walked up to stand next to Ophelia's chair.

She looked up at him and grinned. "They don't look uncomfortable."

"They aren't. I am." Remus shivered playfully. "Have you heard the words that he speaks to her now? It's is as if a ghost of bad poetry has possessed his body."

Laughter filled the air.

"Leave him alone, Remus." Ophelia ordered with a jest in her voice. "Let the man experience and express his love his way."

"I have no intention of getting involved or go anywhere near that table." He shivered again before heading towards the stream.

Ophelia smirked as she watched him walk away and when she turned her eyes back to her friends they immediately diverted their eyes. She knew they were worried about her feelings for Remus still and in truth she was worried as well, but things would have to be as they are. Lenore was right that she would be here with Remus for years to come and she would have to grow accustom to seeing him even though their love had been forcefully ended.

With a sigh, she returned to her work.

---***---

Lenore and Santh sat at the table as they ate the kabobs that Santh had retrieved from town. The Princess had mentioned wanting them for lunch and the large Mondue suddenly disappeared only to return with them half an hour later.

They sat facing each other with grins on their lips as they slowly ate the pork from the wooden skewers. Lenore picked pieces off with her fingers while Santh would push the meat to the end of the skewer and pull a chunk off with his mouth.

The last two nights, the two had their blankets next to each other though they had not had any real time alone since their first kiss. Though they seemed to make due well enough even with a crowd of others around them.

"Tonight, let's sneak away and have a picnic under the stars." Santh sat as his eyes stayed fixed on the skewered meat. He slowly pushed it up and took another bite.

Lenore had her thumb and forefinger in her mouth as she deposited another piece of the marinated meat. "A picnic?" She asked with food still in her mouth.

He gave a nod. "It will be a change of scenery. I grow sick of this court and the many faces around it."

"I am one of those faces." She told him blankly.

Looking up from his food, Santh leaned forward and placed his forehead against her own. Their eyes remained connected. "You are making stealing you away from everyone very difficult."

She chuckled and they both gave each other a quick peck before he pulled his head away from her own. "Alright. What shall I bring?"

The two did not notice the many sets of eyes on them. The girls sewing in the distance all tried to giggle quietly, and Remus, who was leaning against a tree, rolled his eyes.

"Yourself. I will gather the meal together." He finished his skewer and stood up from the bench. "I must return to my pack mule duties. Until tonight, then."

"Until then." Lenore looked up with a smile and Santh leaned down to kiss her forehead before heading to the back of the dorm where he would carry the shingles up the ladder and finish putting the lumber in place.

As Santh walked passed his friend, Remus frowned. "This is ridiculous."

Santh stopped and turned to his friend who was still leaning against a tree. "What is?"

Remus quickly made a motion towards all of Santh's body. "You are being revolting. This is not who you are, and yet here you are kissing up to the little Princess. Someone that just days ago, you swore that you loathed."

The large Mondue stared at his friend for a moment. "Is this about you and Ophelia? Are you upset that your relationship ended as mine began?"

The Merchant didn't quite know how to respond to that. "Stop acting like a love sick puppy. Who are you? What did you do with Santh? You look more like a weakling version of him."

Santh chuckled which caught Remus off guard, but his face fell serious. "I am the undefeated unarmed champion, Remus. Are you certain that you wish to call my manhood into question?"

Folding his arms, Remus stared at him with his head held high.

"I am finally able to see the truth and that truth allowed me to have exactly what I wished. Do not attempt to ruin this for me. I will not allow it and in the end we may not be even acquaintances. Do I make myself clear?"

The tension in Remus' body eased and he nodded his head slowly. "You realize that you two will only have the years that she had left at this school, and then it will end."

Santh swallowed, "I am aware. I will take what I can have and let go when it is time to let go. You needn't worry about me. Instead, you should wonder why you are involving yourself in my matters."

Remus watched Santh walk away and sighed loudly, before his eyes drifted towards Ophelia in the sewing circle.

---***---

The Royal Dorms was deserted. There were no guards standing in front of the gates and no students coming to and fro in the court. Upon walking into the main hall, there were no servants buzzing about as they tried to make the multitude of demanding students satisfied.

Not a single Royal student had stayed at the university for their break. No doubt there were balls and other social gatherings being held that would increase relations between families. Of course, nothing did that better than marriage and over this break, there would be many engagements. Most would end before the marriage would be finalized, and bitterness would set in between those families.

Authin had not wanted to return home over the break to put on a show for his parents, nor did he wish to be there when they discovered that the Prince himself had thrown him from the dorm. They would be livid to hear that he was living in the Unmentionable's dorm with what they considered to be a rogue princess.

Making his way down the hallway of dark woods and red drapes, he came to a stop in front of the kitchen door. Pushing it open, he could smell a beef stew cooking over the fire. There was a large wooden table in the center of the ktichen that was used to cutting, and surrounding the room were more counters that served as prep stations. A large stone oven sat next to the fire place as did a certain Royal Adviser.

"Have you eaten lunch yet?" Armand asked as he sat on the ground with his knees pulled up to his chest and his arms wrapped around them.

"Not yet." Authin walked over to him and sat down in front of him. "I received your note." He said when he couldn't think of anything more to say.

"I thought as much when you arrived here." Armand teased. "Your mother is worried. She heard from some of the girls at court that you and the Prince had a falling out. I explained that it would be over soon enough to calm her nerves, but she was visibly upset."

Turning his head to look into the fire, Authin shrugged his shoulders. "It is what it is. Perhaps things will change and perhaps not. We shall see."

Armand swallowed hard, "Are you going to inform me what our busy little Princess is up to?"

He chuckled, "She and several other students have torn down the dorm and are now building one to be proud of. It also appears that her and the Mondue have finally begun a relationship. Once the new of such a thing wears off, I have a feeling that they will be at each other's throats constantly as they always were with each other."

Armand sighed, "The Prince will not be happy to learn of a new dorm being built without his authority. Though, I suppose we do not have to inform him until the beginning of classes if at all."

"Why would it bother him to know that his sister is sleeping in comfortable quarters?" Authin leaned back on his hands.

"It brings him great joy to know that while his sister abandoned her place at his side, she is suffering in an insufficient dorm." He took a deep breath. "Not to mention, this is once again, Lenore ignoring her brother's rights as the head of the school council and going through with a project without his consent."

They both fell silent for a brief moment, before Armand sucked on his bottom lip to make a popping sound. "Shall we eat?"

Authin stood up when the adviser did and watched him gather together two bowls and two spoons. "How long will you be here?"

"I must return tonight. My mother has many plans and they all revolve around finding my future wife." He sat with little joy in his voice as he put the bowls on the center table. "Bread with your beef stew?"

Authin gave a nod and held a frown deeply on his lips.

---***---

Crolus looked at the structure that was beginning to look like the dorms of the other groups. He grinned as he gazed upon it paying little attention to the girls nearby pointing and whispering about him. He was wearing his royal guard armor of chain mail and a purple tunic with the Cromwell family crest of two lions fighting. When he looked away from the building, he noticed the girls nearby and gave them all a smile which caused each and everyone to blush or act shyly.

"Are you here to steal our workers away?" Remus asked as he saddled up beside his brother.

Crolus grinned, "No, I have business with Lenore. The King has sent me."

Remus pointed to the table where Lenore was seated and grabbed his brother's arm as he walked passed him. "Congratulations, Crolus." He motioned towards the armor.

His older brother continued to grin, "To you as well."

Crolus removed his arm from his brother's grasp and hurried over to Lenore's side. He bowed immediately as Lenore looked up from the plans she was looking over. It seemed like simply busy work to Crolus but he would not question her as everyone else labored around her.

"Milady, I must speak with you in private. It is an urgent matter." His voice made a certain Mondue's heart race with jealousy as he appeared from the lumber lot near the new dorm.

Santh frowned deeply as he watched, and as the two moved to have a moment alone in the woods, he couldn't help himself. He hurried over to Lenore's side, "I shall accompany you."

Lenore furrowed her brows, "My private family matters are not for your ears. If I wish you to know, I will inform you. Stay here." She snapped before continuing to follow Crolus.

Once inside they found a secluded spot far enough away from the rest of the group. Crolus looked down at the rather dirty Princess, but once more he said nothing. Reaching into his satchel, he removed a letter with the was seal still intact.

"I am unaware of the contents of that letter, milady, so perhaps you should not read it in front of me." He explained. "However, your father wished for me to inform you of the Queen's activities. It seems she is looking for someone to replace Lord Byron as your soon-to-be groom. In her desperation, she has gone so far as to make contact with my own father in hopes of arranging a marriage between you and Remus." Crolus watched her nod as her eyes looked toward the ground. "I fear my father might indeed be interested in this arrangement, however Lord Xyles learned of their conversations. I hear he made quite the scene and insisted that you and Krius keep your promises to wed each other."

Lenore took a deep breath and smirked, "She would be willing to throw me into the Commoner's Party. She has been cruel to me in my life, but I never expected she would toss me into the lowliest pool in an attempt to save her son from her paranoia."

Crolus watched her standing in the summer woods with her hair pulled up into a bun and wild hairs flying everywhere. Her clothes were not that of a princess but a commoner. They were dirty and torn on the knee, and there were smudges of dirt on her cheeks. Indeed, she already looked to be playing the part of a commoner, but still Crolus held his tongue.

Of course, Crolus took some offense to her words, but chose to ignore them. He was certain that Lenore did not mean to call him or his ilk the lowliest pool. "Milady, if I may speak freely?"

She gave a nod.

"When you have completed your studies, I will have completed my training and be fully initiated as a Royal Guard of your house. I ask that when you return to your life outside these walls that you request me as your personal guard." He spoke sincerely.

Lenore chuckled lightly, "Of course, Crolus. You would be the one guard that I knew the Queen had not corrupted, and therefore could trust completely."

He gave a bow, "With your word, I shall take my leave."

She waved her hand and watched him walk back towards the dorms. Lenore lifted her hand and looked at the letter that her father had sent her. It must have been important if he was willing to put it in written form. With a deep sigh, she remembered that there was life outside this world of hers and in that life laid responsibilities that she could not ignore. No matter how much she wished them away.

---***---

As Crolus was leaving, he passed another man that was on his way into the dorm area. He gave a brief nod though he thought the young man looked familiar, but they spoke no words to one another. The man journeyed into the dirt court that was slowly being transformed.

His eyes scanned the area as he looked for Lenore. The area smelled of fresh wood and of the nearby flowers that were yet to be planted. There were other items that were stored near them such as street lamps and what looked to be the makings of a gazebo. Every one's brows were full of sweat from the hard work they had done that day.

Of course there was one person in the group that held no sweat on their face and that was Remus who had his nose in a ledger. His eyes finally found the woman he was looking for. She was holding a letter just as he was. It appeared she was coming from the woods and he noticed that the Mondue was starring daggers at her.

"Dalton, what are you doing here?" Lenore asked as the girls around them went about their work and the sounds of hammering in nails echoed in the area.

"I received a letter from mother." He saw annoyance appear on her face the moment his last word exited his mouth. He fought off the urge to grin at her agony. "Audrey will be attending this coming year, and she fears the poor treatment of female students. Therefore she asks that Audrey remain at your side and stay in this dorm with you." He held up the letter as if showing her the folded piece of paper proved anything that he had just said.

Lenore pressed her lips together before giving a small smirk. "Reply that I do not have the time nor the inclination to care for her brat of a daughter. Audrey needs to learn to be independent which is some thing that this school tries to teach, and hiding under my skirt will achieve nothing."

Dalton sighed, he already knew that his sister would say as much but hoped he wouldn't have to be the one to write the reply.

"Is she not she staying at the Royal Dorms?" She watched him nod his head. "There is no worry of her being harassed there."

"It is more than likely mother simply wished to place a spy among your dorm mates, and is less concerned about Audrey's welfare." He informed his sister as two girls walked by assisting each other in carrying a piece of lumber. They seemed to be having a difficult time and for a brief moment he considered assisting them, but decided that he did not want to get involved in his sister's project as it would benefit neither of them.

"I was already aware." Lenore continued to smirk as she shook her head. "Why did you not return home during the break?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I prefer to be here."

"Since you are here, you should visit more often. No sense in locking yourself away in your room with little human contact besides the occasional Mondue guard." She patted his shoulder and he thought she seemed different.

Dalton knew full well why he didn't wish to see his sister very often, but decided that he would say nothing to alarm her. "Did the Prince truly sanction this new dorm?"

She shook her head. "No, I highly doubt he even knows it is being built right now."

He furrowed his brow. "You were able to pay for all the supplies yourself?"

"No, Damek donated it all."

Dalton swallowed, "Oh, I see." He took one last looked at the frame work that was now up and sighed. "Well then, I should be on my way."

"You won't stay a chat for a bit? We haven't talked since you stopped coming to study group here." Lenore watched him shake his head once more.

"I have much to do. I nearly failed a couple classes last year, and I want to study ahead in order to keep myself from being ejected from the school." He gave a slight, awkward wave before hurrying back towards the dirt path.

---***---

Ophelia watched as Dalton left the area and made her way over to her friend. Sitting down next to Lenore on what would be the base of their new dorm, she smiled at her and watched as Lenore opened the letter in her hand.

The Princess read the letter that was from her father. It was written in code, but over the years she had been able to memorize it enough that she could read it within in her head and not translate it to another piece of paper. It told her the same information that Crolus had explained to her, but also asked about the mission that she was meant to be finishing. She sighed and knew she would have to reply sooner rather than later.

"You have been rather popular today." Ophelia spoke up when it appeared Lenore was finished reading the letter.

Lenore turned her head toward her friend as they were both oblivious to the fact that they were blocking the workers pathway. The other girls rolled their eyes and had to jump down from the platform instead of using the stairs.

"It appear my mother and the Queen are very busy interfering in my life." She sighed. "One is trying to place my sister in this dorm to watch over me, and the other wants me engaged and married off as soon as possible." Lenore decided that she wouldn't explain that it was to Remus that the Queen was looking, as she didn't want to cause tension between her and her friend.

"Oh." Ophelia could think of nothing else to say, as she was reminded all over again that her friend was in fact a princess of this country. She scanned the area and noticed Santh in the distance. He was watching Lenore with some concern. It was obvious enough that Lenore was in some distress, but he didn't seem capable of leaving his work to come over to comfort her. "Lenore, may I ask something of you?"

Lenore nodded her head as the two remained blocking the pathway.

"There is no true future with Santh, is there?" Ophelia asked and watch as Lenore raised an eyebrow. "Coming from different guilds, and he isn't high enough in his own to bring your into the Mondues or even marry you. I suppose who his father is would grant him some consideration, but there would be no benefit to such a marriage for your family."

The Princess took a deep breath. "You are asking this for yourself and Remus, are you not?"

Ophelia shrugged.

"I have thought deeply about this, and I made a decision when I began to have feelings for him." Lenore would not tell her about how Santh was granted land and title in the Royal Party if only he took it. She didn't believe that he ever would and therefore there was no need to send Ophelia after him. "I want to go as far as we can for as long as we can."

"What about your feelings? Don't you worry about heartbreak?"

Lenore smiled gently and patted Ophelia's hand. "I want to experience what we can now and make memories that will last my lifetime. It will hurt in the end, but at least we won't suffer over the next few years. I will know what it is like to have been with a man that I truly cared for, before I am used as a pawn to gain favor in one house or another."

The Souchan didn't know what to say to her friend another that. She didn't know if she was able to have a relationship knowing that it had an expiration date. She took a deep breath and sat quietly for a moment.

"You are already in pain, so why not set it aside and love him anyway. It may end some day, but it doesn't have to be today." Lenore told her.

"Hey!" Remus yelled. "Get off the stairs! You are blocking everyone!"

Lenore and Ophelia looked behind them at all the girls that were jumping off the platform and trying to bring the lumber up. They turned their eyes back to each other and with a giggle stood up as Ophelia apologized to everyone.

The two scurried back to their own work and let Lenore's last words linger in the air.

---***---

The day was dying down and everyone seemed to be going off into their own worlds. Saena and Jolon rushed away to be alone, even Santh and Lenore showed signs of being in a hurry off into the distance together. Ophelia and Remus were also missing, which left Anton sitting on his blanket as the girls around him played card games or just chatted.

He was very proud of what he and Jolon were accomplishing as he looked at the frame that was close to having walls. It was much larger than he thought they could be able to build, but everyone was working hard enough that it was less of a hindrance to Jolon and himself. Of course, he knew that without Remus and Lenore that this would have never even began, but he also knew that the two of them could have not built it without the two commoners.

"Admiring your handiwork?" Harona asked as she approached the isolated man in the woods. He had placed himself at a distance from everyone else, which she knew meant he wanted to be alone, but she wanted to speak to him.

Anton looked at the girl holding two pastries in her hands and was shocked when she sat down on his blanket in front of him.

"You and Jolon are working hard. May I ask what it is that Lenore does all day on that bench staring at those plans?" She asked with a giggle in her voice.

He grinned, "Yell at us when she thinks we have gone slightly awry."

She chuckled at his answer, "A true Princess, huh?"

The grin on his lips made him realize that he was being warm to this Souchan, who was obviously interested in him. "Get off my blanket, Harona."

She looked curiously at him. "Aw, and here I thought you might have forgotten for a moment that I was your social enemy."

"Harona, this is inappropriate in the eyes of others, whether it was meant innocently by you or not." He barked. "Remove yourself from my blanket."

A small grin spread across her face, "Are your parents really so strict about who you love and who your friends are? I thought the Royals believed themselves to be too good for the other parties, but is it true that the commoners feel the same?"

Anton swallowed down any more words he had and couldn't think of a reply. She had him completely off guard.

"My parents are very strict as well. They are constantly telling me who to befriend and who I should shy away from. I learned how wrong they were though, and I find myself with greater friends in parties I am suppose to shy from and more enemies in my own that were meant to be my friends." She spoke bitterly. "I let myself down the other day, when I discovered that Saena's standing was incredibly low. After a moment, I realized that I was judging her in the same manner my parents judged all others." She held out the other pastry. "Pastry?"

Anton looked at it in her hand, he thought over her words for a moment. She was trying to explain to him that his parents weren't always right, which he already knew to be true. However, they were in a position to destroy his future if they chose. Though perhaps that was more of a threat then an actual plan of action. Looking up at Harona, he made a decision and reached out to take the pastry. He bit into it, and then remembered his manners. With a mouthful of food, he spoke. "Thank you."

She smiled and took a bite of her own. "For the record, sitting on a blanket with someone is not inappropriate. This is!" She leaned forward quickly and pecked his lips. "They'll talk about that all day tomorrow."

Anton sat frozen and watched as she jumped to her feet and scurried away from him. He had no idea how to react, and after a moment looked around to see if anyone was staring at him. When there were no eyes on him, he felt himself blushing, and to calm himself he took another bite of the pastry.

---***---

Saena sat at the edge of the stream with her shoes off as she allowed her toes to be splashed by the water. Beside her sat Jolon with his long legs pulled up to his chest to prevent his shoes from getting wet. She had invited him to dip his feet in the water with her, but he felt uncomfortable doing so.

"You smell something fierce." Saena finally spoke after a few moments of utter silence between the two of them.

"Hard work does that to a man." He said the words as if he were repeating that of his own father which made her grin.

They both sighed as he rested his chin on his knees and Saena stretched out her legs as she pulled up her dress to allow the wave to lap over them.

"You shouldn't show your legs that much in polite society." Jolon warned.

She turned her head towards him. "I am used to bathing in groups with boys and men included. There is only one time a month that we are permitted to use this stream for bathing and washing clothing. The rest of the time is for the school inhabitants. Of course, we are allowed free range of the stream during the long break."

Jolon thought of all the moments that he had considered himself the poor commoner student, and how rough it had been on him. It was especially difficult when he was in a classroom full of upper society members and he was the only commoner. He, however, had some leverage as little as it was as his father was the head of the Carpenter's Guild and could easily complain to Pymus about his son's treatment.

Saena would not be getting these special consideration from classmates. When she was in a class without any of her friends from the dorm, there would be no status to save her. He worried deeply for her, but could not decide if he wanted to tell her for fear she would run away.

"How do you feel about the coming tests?" Jolon asked about the entry exams.

She grinned widely and placed her hand over her heart. "I am so very nervous, but also excited. Routine is a wonderful teacher and he thinks I am more than prepared." She chuckled. "He told me that if I fail then not only would he be deeply disappointed, but would not look back on the burden I have imposed upon him with favor."

Jolon smiled. "That means he really cares whether you pass or not."

"It's amazing." She sighed. "I have worked here since I was a child, and I have seen many important members of society come and go. I always did as I was told and hid myself from their eyes. A good servant's presence is felt and not seen is the motto. Everyone here always looked so far out of my reach and I was terrified of speaking to any of them."

"I felt very much the same my first few days, until I met everyone here." He meant the dorm and she was aware of it.

Saena nodded with a knowing grin. "I never thought that the Princess that I heard so much about as a child would some day help me like this, or many of the future guild leaders. There are so many people in this dorm right now whose family or themselves are connected to the history of our nation and the future. I can not believe that I can just walk up to them and speak and they treat me as if I am a friend, not some rat that they loathe the very sight of."

"I remember that wonder. Of course, Lenore was coming home drunk every night and exposing herself to everyone. So, our experiences change there somewhat. Though, she still comes home drunk a great deal, so prepare yourself for that."

Saena chuckled briefly until she realized that he was being completely serious. "Oh my. The Princess, truly?"

Leaning over Jolon kissed her cheek, "Do not worry, there is a wealth of experience for you in the future. One of them is learning that no matter what others tell you, the upper society types are just as human as any of us. Always remember that."

"Alright, I will."

---***---

Remus looked over his ledger and mumbled to himself. "Why is this so much more expensive? They must be charging us more than agreed upon."

Ophelia watched him from a distance as he had wandered off into the woods to be alone with his thoughts. He often did this when there was no other friends to hide around to place some sort of buffer between him and her.

However, she had followed him that day. After talking to Lenore, she had finally made a decision and she no longer wished to lurk around Remus anymore.

He was leaning against a tree with white bark and continued to mumble, as Ophelia approached him. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice her at all. "Remus?"

His body lurched back to show that he had been startled, but he recovered as quickly as possible in hopes that she would not notice. "Ophelia, what are you doing out here?"

She had noticed and tried not to laugh, and instead answered his question. "I have come to speak to you."

He looked cautiously surprised. "What is there to speak of?"

"Lenore and Santh..." Before she could finish she watched him roll his eyes. It was obvious that he was not pleased with the combination, despite all his tauntings of Santh's feelings beforehand. "I asked Lenore today, why she would have a relationship with him when she knows that they can not have forever. Do you know what her answer was?"

"I am the Princess, I do as a please?" Remus grinned.

Ophelia sighed and crossed her arms. "She told me that it didn't matter how it would end but what happens now. That memories of happiness are better than none at all."

"I fail to see where you are trying to lead me." Remus was lying, but he did not wish to have this conversation. They had gone through enough pain already and he was starting to mend, and now here was Ophelia asked for him to delay his pain another couple of years.

"I have two years left at this school, before I have to leave and return home. There I will find someone to wed after I have secured the fortress. I do not want to spend the next two years watching you from afar and wishing that one of us had given up our families for the other. Instead, can we not just make memories now and heartbroken later?" She watched as he lowered his head to think for a moment, and she fell silent. She didn't like the way his eyes seemed dimmed and unaltered by her request.

Remus shook his head. "Lenore and Santh may be strong enough to walk away from each other when the time comes, but I do not believe we have the same resolve."

"We already did."

"In a relationship that was no long lived. Imagine two years from now, when we are further entrenched in each other's hearts, then what? One of us may be foolish enough to give up our position for the other, and then spend our lives in regret and remorse. I do not wish to be that fool, nor do I wish that upon you." Remus stood up straight and the leaves from the past fall crunched under his feet. "I am sorry that I brought you into this relationship at all. Had I known that I was to be the heir, I never would have courted you, Ophelia."

"Do not apologize to me for giving me something that I cherish. That stings more than having to walk away. More importantly, do not act as if you regret what we have. That angers me." Ophelia snapped. "Your words make me feel that all I could be to you was a position, and now that you have your own, I am useless." With that she turned to leave.

Remus shook his head and jumped in front of her. "No, no. Please do not believe that." He placed his hands on her shoulder. "I simply mean that I can not go on believing that we will end some day. I can not go on not speaking to you or loving you. Therefore, we must think outside of the box and devise a plan that will allow us both to have everything."

She raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"Trust me, devising devious plans is exhilarating."

---***---

Though the hills outside of the hamlet were nothing more than dirt, Santh did his best to set up the blanket and the food they had purchased. He had brought a sword on his hip just in case they would need it, however the guards that Lesatan commissioned to be trained weren't far away. The Mondues were teaching them as best they could in this small amount of time.

Lenore sat down on the blanket next to him as she looked at the training guards. "I hear that my brother is asking graduated Mondue guards to return and take lead over the civilian guards."

Santh looked surprised, "Aren't they guarding the roadways now?"

She nodded her head, "Yes, and during the break the Mondue students are going to posts with them, but once school begins that will not be an option. I could scarcely believe that he cut the ball budget to accomplish all this. I wonder how Remus managed it."

"How do you know it was Remus?"

Lenore snorted and glared over at Santh. "If it wasn't me, then who else could manipulate my brother to do their bidding. It certainly wasn't Piera, and no one but Remus had more to gain when it comes to having the roads guarded."

Santh held up a kabob of what they both hoped was chicken. "Sound reasoning."

She took the meat and bit a piece out of it. "I prefer the lamb." She said though she knew that by the time they had arrived the vendor was already out of it. When Santh didn't reply and continued to eat his food, she thought of another subject. "Ophelia asked me a strange question today. She wondered why we were attempting a relationship knowing that it will end in the future."

Santh was laying on his side propped up by his elbow with his head in his hand. "I thought we would take this as far as we could go, and then let everything end when it is time."

"That is basically what I told her." Lenore sighed.

Something about that sigh informed him that she was uneasy about this decision. "One day you will go to the castle and I will be left behind." He began and watched Lenore turn her attention from the training guards to him. "I can imagine visiting the capital and I will see you in a caravan to the castle to meet with your brother, the king. You will wave and smile to everyone, and I will smile deep within my heart."

Lenore raised an eyebrow as if she wasn't sure where he was going with this fantasical version of future events.

"I will look around at all the people and know no matter how adoring the people around me are, only I could truly have had you for a moment. Only I got to really know you and love you, and do you know what you will do?" He reached out his hand and placed it upon her own.

She didn't look too pleased by what he was saying, but she also seemed somewhat touched. Though Lenore was notorious for being difficult to read.

"You will go to that castle and you will walk that path of adoring people and even if you see me you will pretend that you don't. You will just walk by, but it won't hurt my heart, because I'll know the reasons why I was ignored and I will love you more for the strength it took to not acknowledge me." Lifting up her hand, he kissed her knuckles gently.

The Princess gave a slight grin, before leaning forward and briefly kissing him on the lips. She slid down so that she was laying on her side next to him. She wanted to ask him about the lands and title awaiting him, and why he wouldn't even consider them. However, she knew better than to bring that subject up, especially in their still new relationship. She hoped that he would change his mind, if nothing but for her, but she also knew Santh and it was obvious he would never accept entry into the Royal Party.

Santh placed his hand on her cheek when he noticed her deep in thought, which brought her back to him. Placing a kiss on her forehead, he grinned. "Let's eat and return before it is too dark to maneuver home."

Lenore laughed, "I can walk these streets with my eyes closed."

"Ah, yes, the drunken Princess does know her way about town." He joked before taking another bite of his meat.