Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 44: Frustrate My Life

Lenore and Santh walked quietly down the stream after they had left Saena's dinner. Most everyone was asleep or too drunk to form words, and the two decided to go for a walk together. Lenore had taken off her shoes and would dip her toes into the water from time to time.

Santh stopped when Lenore walked out into the water to let the stream's water roll over her feet. She had her back to him. He watched her as she stared up into the sky with her shoes still in one hand. Her hair was let down and her tight curls were wild and her thoughts seemed to be much the same. Even while they were waiting for the student professor, she seemed lost in deep thought that had nothing to do with Saena.

He wanted to ask her so many questions. He wanted to be deeper involved in her in her life than he could be, but he understood that it was not possible. Not if they had plans to separate one day, he could not know secrets and walk away.

"It won't be long now." She finally spoke after several moments of silence. When Santh did not question further she continued. "Lessons will begin anew. Students will flood the pathways. Politics and drama will return. For a short time this place seemed like our own haven away from the world. No classes, no guilds, just friendships."

"Are you concerned over something?" He asked and waited in silence for several moments before Lenore turned to face him.

"You realize that we will not be able to show our relationship to others not the other students and not around the dorm. There is great hope that many students will join us here, but they can not know." She crossed her arms.

He nodded his head, "I was already aware of that. Though, I am certain many of the girls that built this dorm with us are more than aware."

"Yes, I have thought how careless we were being, and it might be best if I told them it was a harmless fling over the break."

Santh crossed his arms as well. "Very well, but I will continue to act as your personal guard. At the very least, we will be able to spend time together, even if there is a distance."

Crickets sang amongst the forest trees, and the stars sparkled in the sky high above them, though they could only be seen if you stepped in the stream as the trees blocked the view. The two were so far from the dorm, they could barely make out each other's faces.

"Will your brother be such a bother?" Santh understood that there was more to her words that she was not sharing, but he also knew her position in life was different from his own. There was information that he simply could not know, and they were Lenore's responsibility. She could never fully entrust him with the entirety of her truths.

Lenore nodded, "I am afraid so. You are unaware of the many attempts to frustrate my life, though Remus has been made the arbitrator of most of it." She sighed loudly. "You needn't worry, however. I normally have him firmly in hand."

Santh walked out into the stream with his boots still on and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. Her face pressed against his chest as he rubbed her back. "If ever you need a second back for your burdens, mine are free to you."

She smiled against his chest as she wrapped her arms around him. He smelled of the new wood that had built the dorm. "I know, thank you."

Santh kissed the top of her head as the water soaked into his boots. He wondered what horrible adventures would be in front of them that Lenore shouldered alone in those moments, but he remained a silent guardian. React and do not question would be his slogan. Protect Lenore from her world, even though he could never truly understand why it attacked her.

---***---

The morning sun kissed the wood of the new dorm as everyone stirred to awake for breakfast. It was Anton and Jolon's day to fetch breakfast, therefore they had awoken earlier than everyone else. No doubt they were either on their way back from the hamlet or setting the table in the court.

Remus stretched his arms and legs before placing his feet on the floor. His eyes went immediately to the bunk bed across the room, where he saw a red head laying wrapped in Santh's arms. How she could fit on the small mattress with the large Mondue was beyond Remus' comprehension. He knew well enough that the two hadn't actually been sexually intimate with each other, but he loathed the day they decided to be and chose his bedroom to progress their relationship.

Standing up, he slipped on his robe before walking over to the bed and smacking Lenore on the hip. She turned to look at him with a frown on her face, "There are free rooms until the end of break. Do your sickly sweet gestures of true love there."

Before she could reply, he walked out the door and down the hall to the court. Upon opening the door to the platform, he noticed Ophelia and Routine speaking to each other next to the door. A twinge of jealous entered his heart when he saw how closely they were standing together, but it faded when they both turned their attention to him.

Ophelia waved him over and Remus looked out into the court to see the remainder of the group sitting on the table eating their meal. He took a couple steps toward them and Routine turned to face him.

"Before you actuated any more of your schemes, I wanted to secure my parent's blessings. I sent word via carrier pigeon and received their reply this morning." A servant had brought him the reply from the pigeon coop that morning.

"And?" Part of Remus wanted them to decline the offer, but he knew that would leave them in poor position.

"The terms are as thus; Ophelia and I will be consider engaged, but only publicly announced when she has accomplished her four years and has seized the fortress." Routine explained and looked between the two.

"I planned to do this anyway, therefore it changes nothing." Ophelia told a worried looking Remus.

"Of course." He sighed.

"There is more to consider." Routine crossed his arms and turned to Ophelia. "In the future, all signs of affection between you and Remus must halt in communal spaces and that includes the dorm. You will also be required to attend all events with me, such as the school balls."

Ophelia looked toward Remus who nodded his head, and she took a deep breath before responding. "That seems fair."

"If at any time you are seen as adulterous, I will abolish our engagement as I must maintain a sense of strength for my position. The world can not believe I would keep a woman that would betray my trust." He stared at her as she started to look unsettled.

"Very well." She responded.

"Finally, I have allowed the nickname of Routine as I discovered it was a losing battle, however as my future wife, you will refer to me as Byron. Are we understood?" He watched her nod. "I retain the right to add more rules and regulations to this relationship as the needs arise. Agreed?"

"Agreed." Ophelia watched Routine walk between her and Remus as he made his way over to the breakfast table. "He thought this through a great deal."

"It is Routine after all." Remus was about to put his arm around her but dropped it immediately. They both noticed it and realized that Routine's rules would be harder to follow than they imagined.

---***---

Anton sat at the table with the others surrounding him. Lenore and Santh were still missing from the meal, and Remus and Ophelia seemed lost in conversation on the platform. Everyone else was enjoying the pastries they had brought from the hamlet. It would only be a short time more until they all had to eat at the dining hall, but for now it felt like family.

Harona and Saena had made the table by the time they had returned. He remembered the bright smile and the welcoming of a new day that Harona had given to him to which he returned just as enthusiastically.

He had made his initial decision last night to join the group more fully, but he had to admit the thought had him tossing and turning throughout the night. He could hear his father's judgments and threats, but his mind was lost on how much fun it had been to be part of the tournament. They had won and for a short time had been champions of the school. A school that never wanted someone like him and Jolon to have such a high position even if it was only for show.

As the sun began to peek into his window, he reminded himself of his decision to return to being the man that wanted to participate and have friends more than Jolon. He told himself that it wouldn't matter if everyone forgot about each other once their lives outside the school began. It was a normal way of life, wasn't it?

He remembered his school friends that were of his own guild and status, and most of them were no longer his friends. So, why then did his father place so much importance of the loss of friendship after school was through? He warned him that people like Lenore would only use people like him and then toss him aside. He wondered how many people in his life beyond the school would ever even lay eyes on the Princess and meet her brother, the future King, and he had lived his school life eating meals with her everyday. That was a story to tell his grandchildren.

Not to mention the many others that will one day rule the country. The head of the Souchan clan was odd, but he would be a powerful man praised like a king amongst the Souchan. Varden's son lived among him. One of the greatest heroes of modern time, and his son was a friend to him. Ophelia the traitor's daughter and of the long bloodline that controlled the front line of defenses for the entire country, the Fortress. Finally, Remus, a man who one might say was to be even more powerful than the King himself.

These people were his friends. He would know a part of history of these great people that no one else in the world would know. Everyone will look at them and see graceful beings that the gods placed on the earth to rule over them. He knew he would see Remus' antics, Ophelia's ditzy but good-natured decisions, Santh's kind heart, Lenore's cunning, and Routine's... well, he hadn't completely figured out that man just yet.

They were all good people and maybe they were all just friends because they shared a dorm in school, and maybe they would never speak again once they left. However, maybe, just maybe they were cultivating friendships and alliances that would outlast just this generation, but go beyond and into the future.

Of course, there was another reason. He turned his eyes from his pastry to Harona who was laughing along with Saena over a joke that Authin had been telling. There was something about her that made him want to break his father's rules. Even if it was only for a moment.

Her eyes turned to him. "Authin is so humorous."

He nodded his head with a grin though he had not heard the story, as he had been lost in his own thoughts. "Since all the work is completed, would you like to accompany me to the hamlet? I have some items that I need to purchase for classes begin."

A moment of surprised came over her eyes before she smiled widely and nodded. "Certainly, I have some supplies that I am in need of as well."

"Then immediately after the meal?"

She gave a quick nod and seemed to hurry to eat her pastry.

---***---

Remus emerged from his room around noon. There was some money left over that Damek had loaned them and he was arguing with himself over the idea of adding some extra decorations to the dorm or giving it back to someone who could very well be a worthy ally in the future. If Lesatan did not survive to have children, and Lenore was deemed unfit to rule since she was a bastard, then Damek would be king. It would prove valuable to show him how well he could handle not only his own money but others as well.

As he stepped out onto the platform, he noticed that the court was rather quiet this particular day. It would only be a couple more days until the flock of students began to fill not only the University but hopefully this dorm as well. He assumed his dorm mates had all gone into the hamlet for the day, though he wondered where Ophelia had gone as well. Did she leave without informing him? He would have liked to go with her.

As he walked out into the now flowered court yard, he noticed a large man sitting in the leaves nearby with his back against a tree and scroll in his lap. Remus grinned and made his way over to his friend.

"Did your lady abandon you as well?" He asked Santh as he towered over him.

Santh did not look up from his scroll when he answered. "She didn't abandon me. I simply did not wish to go. She stole Ophelia instead."

That explained a great deal, he thought to himself. "It is nearly time for the noon meal. Would you like me to bring something back for you?"

"The girls already promised to return with our meals." Santh continued to study the scroll in front of him.

Remus gave a nod. "Then I shall hope they return soon. My stomach is howling for sustenance." He stood quietly for a moment as he looked at his friend, who did not seem interested in speaking right now. It was not something that offended Remus anymore. Santh wanted to talk only when he wished to talk, and unless he was walking away from Remus, he knew that his friend was comfortable in his presence. However, a question had been lingering on his mind and he knew he was about to anger the large Mondue. "I have a question about your father's lands and title."

This made Santh put his scroll down and glare up at him.

He would need to tread lightly. "I have thought it over very carefully, and I believe your reasons for not taking what is yours is simply to punish your father."

Santh sat unblinking for a moment before he answered. "Yes, of course."

His candor was not expected. "Not long ago, you considered him the greatest man to have ever lived."

"Not long ago, he wasn't a selfish, glory hound who abandoned his own son to fight in a battle he was not needed in." Santh replied with venom in his voice. "He left me with no one but a bitter Aunt."

"It seems to me that this punishment only hurts you. After all with those lands and titles, I understand that you could engage yourself to Lenore if you wished." He watched Santh stand on his feet and knew the Mondue was planning on walking away from this conversation.

Instead, Santh took a step toward him and looked down on his small friend. "My father and the king already planned our engagement. It was his death and my unwillingness to take the titles and lands that ended it."

"When? When were you engaged?" He could hardly believe such a thing.

"The day my mother was murdered." Santh spoke the words and then stepped back.

"Your mother..." Remus watched as his friend walked away into the woods. "murdered?" He mumbled to himself.

---***---

Piera sat across from Krius in the carriage. Lesatan had sent him with her when she was visiting her parents, and he was to protect her on the journey back to the school. He was a quiet man who had very little to say or share. The long voyage back to the university was met with complete silence and so she found herself finishing her studies before classes started.

As they pulled up to the Royal Dorm, Krius opened the door himself and helped her out of the carriage. It was the driver's job to do such a thing, but he seemed impatient the closer they came to the university. Of course, he was no peach at her family home either, especially when he towered over her as relatives attempted to hug and greet her.

"Bring the luggage to our rooms." Krius commanded the driver as they both walked toward the gates side by side.

A man approached from the dorm. It was Enoch, and it looked as if he had gained some weight over the break, no doubt from not walking the paths of the school everyday.

"Lesatan wishes to see you both immediately." He informed them and then hurried on ahead as if to lead them. It was not as if they had forgotten the way.

Piera looked up at Krius to see if he would share any worry or curiosity with her on his face, but it was still stoic. She followed beside him until they reached Lesatan's office chambers.

The Prince sat behind his desk and did not bother to stand to greet his future bride. Enoch had taken a place along the wall and Krius stood next to him. Armand was sitting in the chair in front of the desk and patted the seat next to him for Piera.

As soon as she sat, Lesatan began to speak. "I have wondrous news." He began, "Lenore has finally failed so fully that I can now destroy her once and for all."

Everyone looked between each other. Krius stopped leaning against the wall and stood up, "What has she done, milord?"

He tossed a scroll onto his desk, which Armand picked up. "Dorm plans." He announced to the others.

Lesatan nodded, "She built a new dorm in place of the South Dorm without council permission, which means I will be able to tear it to the ground. All her hard work and that of those loyal to her will have been worthless. She will lose heart and her followers will lose faith."

Piera peered over Armand's shoulder. "The old dorm had a collapsed wall. It was unlivable, and the council never would have granted them funds for a new dorm unless it fell to complete ruin. If then, it seems a cruel thing to do to take away their home. Where will they go?"

"I will build a new one at the beginning of next year. Most of the residents have other dorms they can return to, and the commoners will simply return home for a year." He leaned back in his chair with a grin on his lips.

"My brother had a hand in building this, milord, I take a personal interest in it's longevity." She explained.

The three advisers remained silent as the two spoke.

Leaning forward, Lesatan put his hand on the desk. "Where you aware that this dorm was being built without my permission?'

"No." She slowly shook her head and forgot his title, "I mean to say that he wrote letters to me about the dorm, but he never informed me that it was built without permission."

Lesatan seemed satisfied and sat back once more. "Of course, I will promise to rebuild the dorm, but we simply will not have the funds to do so within the next year. Which means South Dorm will forever be vanquished, and we will no longer have to deal with commoners stepping out of their place."

Piera's brows came together and she stood up. "Excuse me, I am tired from my journey." She left the room before he could say anymore.

She wanted to run to the dorm and tell Lenore what her brother was planning, but she remembered the Princess told her not to reveal any secrets to her. Swallowing down her feelings, Piera hurried to her chambers.

---***---

Saena sat on the ground of the dorm room as she studied a scroll on her lap. On her own bed, Ophelia worked on a first year vest. It had been Jolon's but since Saena couldn't afford her own, he had given it to Ophelia to alter into a woman's form. Of course there was nearly enough materials to make Saena two vests, which had made her chuckle slightly.

"Was it terrifying for you?" Saena finally asked after nearly half an hour of silence between them. She didn't look up from her scroll.

"What was terrifying?" Ophelia finished her final stitches and looked down at the woman on the floor.

"To be the traitor's daughter and to come to this school where people would call you as such." She looked up from the scroll and sat up completely, but found herself uncomfortable so she scooted backwards so she was leaning against Lenore's bed.

Ophelia laughed nervously, "I practically ran from bush to bush in order to hide from everyone, alas they found me."

"Was it as bad as you thought it would be?"

"It was far worse." Ophelia watched as the color ran from her friend's cheeks. "Of course, I was all by myself at the time. For an entire year, I was shoved and treated like dirt. They used to tear my clothing and let the boys look at me for a small fee. I was miserable, but determined to bring honor back into my family name. If that was what it took to earn my fortress back then I would suffer it."

"That... that sounds awful." Saena's eyes were beginning to water.

The brunette giggled, "That was at the girl's dorm. One day, I volunteered to show new classmates around the university, and I met Jolon and Anton. They didn't have any preconceived notions about me, so I tried to befriend them. Little did I know that my friendship to them would lead to having Lenore as my dorm mate and my close friend." Ophelia held the vest on her lap with a grin on her lips. "They were quick to leave me alone once it was clear that I was friends with Lenore, and I am sure the rest of the school will do the same for you. No one crosses Lenore."

Saena grinned, "Do you think she would do that for me?"

"After she made that student professor regrade your exam, you still have to question her loyalty?"

The servant's smile widened, "When do we get our class lists? Where do we pick them up?" She asked as she scrambled to sit on her knees.

"You have been working in this school for a long time. Shouldn't you know such things?" Ophelia handed the vest to her.

Reaching out she took the discolored vest and laid it in her lap. "Servants hide away from the students as much as possible. During the long break, the university is ours to freely wander, but when the students begin to filter in once more, it is best to become invisible."

Ophelia nodded, "I will show you when the time comes. Have you spoken to your father about joining the students?"

Saena shook her head, "I did not have to speak to him. The other servants noticed my actions and reported to him. It appears my fears were founded. I have been seen a traitor by not only my own family but all of the servant's guild."

"I am sorry."

Saena shrugged her shoulders gently before looking up with a smile. "It only removes any hope that failure is an option. I have no where to return to if I do not do well in my classes, therefore I must work doubly hard and prepare to be judged by the professor harshly."

"You have friends that will help you. I know Routine... Byron, I mean, sees you as something of a protege. Take advantage of such feelings, he does not care for many people." Ophelia motioned toward the vest. "See if it fits properly."

Standing up, Saena put the vest on and it fit well. "Thank you, Ophelia."

"My pleasure."

---***---

Lenore found herself sitting on the floor of Remus and Santh's dorm room. The window was open and the blue curtains pushed aside. Remus had found a rug in the market which was made from a soft material that she didn't recognize. It was almost more comfortable then sitting on the beds, which was where Santh laid.

He was reading a scroll to prepare for classes in the coming days, while Lenore made alterations to her new shirts and vest. Mostly, she was cutting them in order to show her cleavage. When Santh asked her why she had laughed and informed him that she likes how much it bothers others but they are powerless to say anything against her. Santh couldn't even become angry at her abuse of power not when she so honestly admitted to it.

Santh couldn't concentrate on his scroll and kept looking over to the woman sitting on the floor. Sitting on up on the bed, he cleared his throat. "Did you inform Remus of the lands and title my father left for me?" He expected her to lie.

"I did." She admitted freely.

"There was a reason that I didn't tell him. He may be my closest friend, but he is an opportunist as well. Anything to increase his power, which means hearing him trying to convince me that taking those lands would be the right thing for me to do." Santh leaned on his elbows against his knees.

"You are a strong man with your own convictions, I doubt Remus will sway you." She put down the shirt she was working on and picked up the next.

She hadn't looked up at him during this conversation, so he continued. "I will never take my father's lands and title, Lenore. You do understand this?"

Stopping what she was doing, Lenore looked up to him. "I have never asked you to take them."

"Then why tell Remus? Why send him to hound me with information you knew he would find to tantalizing to let go?" He swallowed almost afraid to hear her answer, and fearing that they would start their first argument as a couple.

Lenore lowered the shirt to her folded legs, "Santh, are you accusing me of underhanded tactics in order to force you to take those lands?" She chuckled bitterly. "All that occurred was Remus asked me about how we would proceed with our relationship when an end was so near, and I slipped in my wording. After which, I had to explain to him what I meant otherwise he would have hounded me instead."

He felt his heart lighten, "Very well, but understand that those lands and title will never be mine."

"I understand."

Falling to his knees, Santh moved toward her and kissed her lips gently before hugging her tightly in his arms.

"Leave, Lenore!" Remus rushed into the room.

The Princess stood up from Santh embrace and stared at the Merchant. Before she was able to speak, Remus rushed behind her and shoved her out of the room and slammed the door.

Santh wondered what the commotion was all about and thought perhaps his friend was in a precarious situation.

"How does Lenore know more about your life than I do?" Remus crossed his arms.

The Mondue sighed as he realized that his friend had eavesdropped on their conversation. "I did not know a great deal until recently myself. However, what I did know and chose not to share with you is none of your concern." He opened the door and found Lenore standing on the hallway. Touching her shoulder, he ushered her back inside.

"What is the matter?" She asked immediately and looking slightly stunned.

"Remus is upset because he is not the fountain of all gossip with all matters that retain to myself." Santh told her before sitting back down on the bed.

Remus watched as Lenore sat down on the rug again and began to alter her shirts. He looked between his two friends, before reaching down and grabbing the rug that Lenore sat on only to have it pull her along. "This is my rug! Remove yourself!"

When Lenore simply stared at him, he gave up and left the room in a huff. "Do you believe the rug was a metaphor for you?" Lenore asked.

Santh shrugged his shoulders, "He has been acting strangely as of late. Let him chose insanity for a time."

---***---

The advisers lined the wall near the door of the study while Piera sat in the chair in front of Lesatan's desk. They had all been summoned that morning but when they arrived the Prince was not present. Enoch informed them that he was bathing and that he would be with them shortly.

"I was tossing all night thinking about what he plans to do to Lenore." Piera broke the silence that had gone on for several moments. She had no one else to speak with these matters about but the advisers least she be seen as a spy.

Armand nodded his head as he stood between Enoch and Krius. His hands were behind his back and he leaned against the wall. "If what the Queen believes of Lenore is true, this action could push her to a point where she may in fact act."

"The Queen is wrong." Piera snapped as she continued to sit in the chair and not even look at the three men near her. "Lenore has no interest in the throne, and Lesatan should leave her be so he doesn't inspire any aspirations for it."

"We should not forget all the students that assisted in these matters." Krius spoke up. "I hear there was a great deal of the female population. Imagine if Lenore brought them against Lesatan, they were quiet persistent while they tried to extend their schooling. This could make them monstrous, and a true thorn in Lesatan's attempt to be taken seriously as the next king."

Enoch stood silently as he listened closely to everyone's words. He had nothing to add and in fact much of this was confusing as he did not see the correlations.

"Should we warn her?" Piera asked. "Lenore, I mean. If she was told she might be able to soothe Lesatan and put this all behind us."

Armand shook his head, "He has only told this group of his plans thus far. If such a conversation went sour, it would be the four of us that he looked to for answers. You most of all, Piera. We must walk a very fine line when it comes to loyalty to Lesatan and friendship to Lenore."

"He speaks the truth." Krius added. "Not to mention if Lenore does take the throne, we do not want to be seen as those willing to share our lords secrets."

"What if she believes we hid truths from her?" Enoch asked.

"It is better that she believe we keep secrets then share them." Armand informed him before taking a deep breath. "There is only one course of action."

Everyone turned their eyes to Armand who continued to lean against the wall with his hands behind his back.

"We must wait patiently for this decision to play out, however it does, and we must all stand further enough away that who ever comes out the victor doesn't look upon us with suspicion." Armand watched as Piera's face fell, this was not the answer she wanted. "Sometimes, milady, people in our positions must simply watch as those above us destroy themselves. As painful as it might be, it is the only course that allows us to win no matter the outcome."

Piera turned her eyes back to the desk in front of her. "When my thoughts turn to this matter, there is a dark omen present in my mind. I feel as if this will head somewhere none of us wish to travel, and we should do anything in our power to prevent it."

"If it brings you peace," Enoch began, "our Prince has never shown this much callous towards his sister before, and I wonder if there is more to this plan."

Armand and Krius looked toward their normally dimwitted friend with surprise.

"That is what I fear, Enoch." Piera said before they could ask him if he knew more of Lesatan's plans. "I fear that this will lead to a path that will have a far reaching outcome."

Enoch swallowed, "There is something truly not of Lesatan in this plan, but it feels not like the Queen's doing either. They are both usually more subtle."

A foreboding touched everyone's heart and they fell back into their silence.

---***---

Harona and Anton walked through the hamlet as they returned with baskets filled with what would be dinner for the group. Classes would begin in three days and many students were beginning to return to the grounds. Everyone was wearing different color vests now. It was time that once more that it was mandatory to wear them around the campus.

Remus, Santh, and Routine all wore the dark red vests for their sixth year at the school. Lenore was not a fourth year with a dark green vest on her back, and Ophelia had adopted all of Lenore's light green vests for her third year. Harona wore the same light green but had purchased her own materials, while Anton and Jolon moved onto the dark blue and Saena took the materials from their old vests to make her own.

The dorm was now once again full of colors, and many girls were appearing for their third year at the school. So, mostly the dorm was filled with the dark blue. Some of the girls had finished their schooling a couple years earlier and returned when their sisters had informed them about the safe haven dorm that had been built.

There were no new commoners this year or at least they hadn't shown their faces yet. It appeared Lenore's concerns about making the bottom floor for males was well founded as it seemed the top floor would be full soon enough. Of course, this made the entire group thrilled with their effort, even if they didn't see many of the same faces that had helped build the dorm. At least, not within their own walls. Reports had been made by many that some of the first year girls that were appearing for their second year had returned to the Girl's Dorm instead.

Harona couldn't believe she was actually attending classes as a third year student. Of course, her parents had tried to ward her away but when they heard this was under Lenore's authority, they gave their blessing. Lenore had more influence than she deserved as no one truly knew which of the king's children would take the throne.

"This is so very exciting." Harona told Anton as they walked side by side, each carrying a basket. "I have always sat at the girl's table in the dining hall, but in just a couple days I will be seated with South Dorm. We should really rename it. It isn't even to the south. You have to walk north from the center of the school to arrive there."

Anton chuckled, "I never thought of that. Why is it called South Dorm then, I wonder?"

"Commoners were most commonly from the south of Ronea. At least, there was where the majority of their guilds were kept for many generations. Perhaps that has something to do with it's name." Harona sighed, "I remember my grandfather used to call commoners "Southies", and it was meant in a derogatory manner."

"Hmm, interesting." Anton chuckled, "I do not believe I have ever been called such a thing."

"Of course not. They wouldn't say it in polite company." Harona walked toward the gate of the school and took another deep breath. "You have been different lately. More willing to speak with me, and you seem more active around the others as well. Has something changed?"

"Other than my mind on my father's opinion of those outside the Commoner's Guild, no." He continued when she remained silent. "I watched as everyone worked desperately hard to build this dorm, and how Santh and Lenore helped Saena. I realized that perhaps we all might be using each other. My father grew up at this school when people like Lenore made people like me into indentured servants, but it is not this way anymore. Instead, I truly believe our dorm has become a family, and one that continues to expand."

Harona chuckled, "One day, we will all walk another path. We might all go separate ways, but it would be nice to have these memories of real friendship, before we live lives where those around us just aim to please because of our position."

"Well, that will not be an issue for me, but yes, perhaps that is what the others are aiming for, even Santh."

---***---

The round room with the seating wrapped all around was filled with the school's council that always had their first meeting of the year at this time. Over the break, students that had left the council or school entirely were replaced through mail voting that the university had taken care of for them. Students were notified of their wins or failures and the winners were invited to the first meeting.

Lesatan wasted no time as everyone sat down, he moved to the center of the room and looked upon the faces. Most were familiar to him and he began to explain the truth behind the new South Dorm. He informed them how this was built on their university grounds without their permission and to allow it to remain would show the students that they had no power. Of course, there were always those that had a soft heart and no doubt some that did not wish to upset Lenore.

Damek stood from his chair to speak and gave Lesatan a knowing nod before he began. "Prince Lesatan, while I understand the building of this dorm is underhanded and should be punished. Is destroying the entire building truly called for? Shouldn't we instead punish those responsible and leave a home for the students of South Dorm?"

Lesatan and his cousin had discussed this conversation before, and they knew how they were going to manipulate the council members. "That building is unsanctioned and built by students not anyone of the proper guilds, unless two commoners from the Thatcher's and Carpenter's guild are all you wish to rely on. It states clearly in the bylaws that any building on this campus must go through rigorous scrutiny from all major building Guild Masters before even a single brick is purchased."

The council began to murmur, but Damek ignored them and continued to speak their rehearsed conversation. "Understood, milord. However, that does not address where the students of the dorm shall home until another dorm can be built?"

"First and foremost, there are only two commoners in that dorm and one Royal who has been cast from his original dorm. He is of no concern of ours, I promise you." Lesatan didn't notice Armand cringe at those words. "Everyone has a home to return to, other than the commoners, and for that I have a plan, dear cousin."

Damek stood silently to listen.

"During our fathers' days at this school, commoner students found sponsors. They would act as servants to their lord in an attempt to secure safety and were even graded by their sponsors. A grade that could destroy their graduation from this school." Lesatan put one hand on the table beside him and looked around the room. "Generations before this, sponsors would share their rooms with their servants, who would sleep on the floors. I say we reinstate this law at the very least for one year until a proper dorm is built."

Again, there was a murmur between the council members. It was as if none of them could believe that this was a topic at hand.

Damek clapped, "Well thought out, milord. Who shall take these students? No doubt you have someone in mind?"

"Of course, I would not force anyone to sponsor such filth, therefore I will give the option to those already living at the dorm. Remus of the Merchant's Guild will no doubt join us at the Royal Dorm as his father once did for my own as shall Lenore, therefore it leaves the others to take in the students. I am sure they will manage after all they claim friendship amongst themselves." Lesatan watched Damek grin.

"Wonderful, milord, then all is settled. All in favor?" Damek raised his hand and most of the council followed him.

"Excellent, then we shall begin destruction before the start of the new year. Now, let us deal with more friendly matters. Such as this years tournament prizes and the new road guardsmen." Lesatan returned to his chair between his advisers with a smile on his lips.

Krius and Armand gave each other a look that foretold they both knew what Lenore's reaction would be when she finally heard this news. Neither wanted to be anywhere near this university when that day came.