Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 45: Desires Lie Elsewhere

The next morning the grounds of the university were beginning to sound like life had returned to them. Classes would begin in a couple days and schedules were already being handed out for those that wanted to wait in the dreadfully long lines. Even if most people looked down on her, Ophelia was excited to see the school's life blood return. Of course, she wasn't even meant to be at the school this year so that increased her happiness as well.

Remus walked beside her as they went to check on her stand together. They passed other students as they made their way to the gate. Many people offered him nods of acknowledgment as they all knew that they would soon be in need of his services. As they walked, their hands came together before Ophelia hurried to pull it away.

The merchant looked confused as they continued to walk side by side.

"Routine... Byron said no signs of affections in public, remember?" She whispered as she did not want passing students to overhear her though they barely seemed to be paying attention. "If this happens again, it will not be long before there are rumors."

Nodding his head, Remus took a deep breath as they exited the school gates into the hamlet outside. The school grounds was filled with students so much so that it was difficult to walk on the pathways, but interestingly enough there was no one in the hamlet other then it's residents. No doubt everyone was preparing for their classes and had little to no time to socialize.

Once they seemed to have some more privacy, Remus began to speak out loud and without fear of being overheard. Even if those around him listened to their conversation, he didn't believe they would have anyone to report to and most were grateful to him if not loyal to the Fox. "Of course, all this is for naught, if we do not find a woman for my wife."

Ophelia swallowed as the word 'wife' was something she wanted attributed herself someday, though she knew it could not be so.

"What of Saena? Not being of high stature it would be an honor for her to marry someone like myself, and Jolon could see her regularly." He thought deeply for a moment.

"It will not work." Ophelia interrupted what was no doubt his planning of speaking to the girl. "Jolon plans on leaving the commoner party and taking Saena with him. Even if that wasn't so, how would he see her? His guild house is in the south and you are moving yours closer to the fortress."

Remus pressed his lips together, "Ah, so my lack of ideas or rather barrage of horrible ideas continues."

"Why is there not a single woman that we know that is like Routine." She inhaled a long annoyed breath before releasing it. "Byron." She corrected herself. "I do not believe I will ever grow accustomed to calling him by that name."

Remus chuckled as they came to the stand. The man working it that day allowed them behind and they checked their supplies, and Remus counted the coins that had been collected. It took ten minutes to write down everything she would need to order from her mother, before they began to head back to the dorm together.

"I am certain there is a woman whose desires lie elsewhere, and she could be persuaded into a marriage without judgment." He continued their conversation though Ophelia was slightly confused at first.

"Desires lie elsewhere?"

He nodded his head, "Not with men or perhaps, she has a lover she would like to keep. There are many reasons one would marry and care not for their husband."

"Yes, while there are many reasons, the problem lies that we do not have a single soul with such reasons."

Santh laid on the bottom bunk on his back with Lenore laying beside him on her stomach. Her feet were in the air and she moved them around as they spoke. Though they seemed intimate together they had yet to become physically intimate. When Santh thought about doing so, he always reminded himself exactly who this woman was and decided that it would be best to wait or perhaps to never attempt it at all.

It was well enough known that Lenore was no stranger to men, but Santh just didn't want to be one of those men. He hoped that when they said their final goodbyes in the years to come that he would be a special man that held a place in her heart for eternity. At least that is what he told himself, though in truth he wondered if he was just afraid to try for her affections. For the first time, the normally confident Santh was shy around a woman and he couldn't understand why.

"Ophelia and Remus left early to check her stand." Lenore informed him. "You have heard that her and Routine are secretly engaged now."

Santh put one of his hands behind his head to prop himself up further. "What game are those three playing?"

"A keen sense, you have there. Indeed, but they are looking for a fourth. In fact, Remus asked for my hand so he and Ophelia could continue a relationship outside of the school, and informed me that I could do so with you." She chuckled.

He brought his brows together, "What of me? Would I have remained unwed? It would have done us a better service if I married Ophelia."

A grin appeared on her lips, "I informed him of that, but declined nevertheless. I have no interest in living my life in the shadows and pretending to be someone I am not in public."

He leaned forward and quickly place a peck on her lips before the awkward movement made his head fall onto the pillow. "That is why... it is my most favored trait that you possess." Lifting his hand up, he moved some hair away from her face.

"I am glad, for when classes begin, I do not wish for you to shy away from me. I will deal with my brother if he takes any interest in our relationship." Lenore watched him sit quietly for several moments as he thought over her words.

"You wish for the school to know of our relationship? Would that not cause you issues with suitors in your future?" He didn't understand why his heart was racing and tried to hide it from Lenore's view.

"I have enough issues to deal with being the bastard Princess, I believe a fling with the son of Varden will be the last on my very long list." Her feet continued to sway back and forth in the air behind her.

He nodded his head, "So be it, then."

A soft smile came to her lips, "As it should be."

Moving Lenore turned onto her back and rested her head on Santh arm. They both sat in silence for several moments as nothing but their breathing echoed in the room.

"I wonder how many classes we have together this year." Lenore yawned.

"Hopefully enough to see each other throughout the day, but not too much that we grow tired of eachother's presence." Santh was partially teasing and partially being honest.

With a chuckle, Lenore agreed. They both would need space from each other from time to time in order to make their relationship work.

"Did you ask for Professor Thiach's class again this year?" Lenore turned her head so she could see the side of his face.

"Of course." He said with a nod.

"Then that will be at the very least one class. That should be satisfying enough." She inhaled deeply. "With so many girls filtering into the dorm, I am quite excited for this year."

"It should hold much." He said though he was truly thinking of how much drama women bring when you place them together in small quarters. He sighed and resolved to live with whatever was to come.

---***---

Piera heard a knock at her bedroom door and she moved to open it after she stood from the bed. As the door swung open, she found the Queen standing in front of her with two large men behind her. She immediately stepped aside to allow the Queen in and she waved for her guards to wait outside. The two had created a friendly relationship over the break, but Piera still was not certain what the woman was doing in her dorm room.

The Queen, who was dressed in a dark red dress embroidered in gold, briefly looked around before she sat on the bench at the end of the bed.

"Lesatan is in a council meeting, milady." Piera told her when there was no conversation after some time.

The Queen continued to remain silent as the walked over to the window and looked out as if she was trying to gather her thoughts.

Piera waited cautiously and nearly flinched whenever the Queen moved.

"Piera," Aletta turned quickly to face her, "tell me the rumors are not true. Lesatan is not attempting to destroy the dorm that Lenore worked so hard to build."

She swallowed as she knew she could not tell the Queen such a thing. Even though she had found the Queen to be a great deal kinder than many thought, she was still afraid to disappoint her.

"I see." Aletta responded when she received no answer. Taking a deep breath, she watched as Piera came to stand in front of her. "I have had a great deal of undermining Lenore in my past, but it is done before she accomplishes something not after. This is a path that Lesatan must walk carefully." She nervously played with her fingers.

"Why, milady?" Piera asked as the Queen motioned for her to sit next to her on the bench. She was quick to do so.

"There are many people that loathe Vinson blood, and never wanted to see it on the throne. They would gladly accept the bastard daughter over a legitimate Vinson heir." She explained though she seemed to be holding her breath. "This is why I have always feared Lenore. Why I have done horrible things to her in the past, but the truth is she is a sleeping dragon. If you leave her alone she will sleep or she will awake and react."

"React?"

She nodded her head, "Lenore has the backing and the power to at any moment rally those against Vinson blood and begin a violent uprising to take control of the throne. Though, she is far to cunning to outright attack her brother neither does she wish to disappoint the King. She would plan something so horrid that even Lesatan's own father would be unable to save him. He would have to acknowledge her as the heir and perhaps even execute Lesatan."

Piera put her hand to her chest. "Lenore never seemed vindictive, milady. Are you certain she is capable or even willing to harm her brother?"

Aletta stood from the bench and walked over to the vanity where she checked herself in the mirror before answering. "Even if it is not Lenore, there are many who could use her to gain the throne if such atrocities came to my son." She turned to face her. "If Lesatan does this to her, ensure that you appease her by any means. Whatever you need, inform me. Befriend her closely. I would hope that she could not harm Lesatan if she cared for his future bride."

"Why not speak to Lesatan yourself?"

She shook her head, "He is beyond my control. He is trying to prove that he is a capable king. Though this plan of his makes very little sense. I do not see him attacking her this directly, there is more behind this than even we know, Piera. Brace yourself." She inhaled, "Now, let us drink tea and wait for Lesatan. We will pretend that I came to visit and that we were having a friendly conversation with one another."

Piera stood from the bench, "Yes, milady. I believe they just received some rose tea in the kitchen, shall I summon someone to bring some for us?"

She gave a nod and a wave before looking back at herself in the vanity.

Piera didn't understand why the normally confident Queen was acting in this manner, but she assumed Aletta knew more than just what she was telling her.

---***---

Santh left the dorms to retrieve the class schedules for Lenore and himself. He had asked her to come along, but whenever he did so she would ask for another moment to study her scrolls. After an hour and a half of waiting he decided to go on this adventure alone. He wasn't certain that they would give Lenore's schedule to him, but she gave him a small note with her family seal upon it. Part of him felt like a small child with permission from his mother for one thing or another.

As he made his way down the dirt path some movement caught his eye. As he turned to look into the forest at the trees themselves, he concentrated to find the source. Most of the time it was just a bird, but there were many females now living in the dorm itself. Therefore, it would not be uncommon for some males to run about the forest, even though it was forbidden in the dorm rules.

"Get out of there!" Santh barked even though he did not see any more movement within the forest.

After a moment, a figure appeared in a dark hood and began to run away from him. Whoever it was must have thought that he had spotted him. Furrowing his brows, Santh chased after the person though his large frame had difficulty moving between the small white trees and it was only a matter of minutes before the figure was completely gone from his sight.

He knew he could take the time to track the person, but decided that it must have been another student curious as to what had occurred at this dorm while they were away. In truth, he had little interest in the matter and wanted to finish the task that he had set out to perform. He decided he would inform Lenore and the others of what he had seen later in the day.

Making his way back to the dirt path, his shoulder smacked against nearly every tree as it had done when he was running through the forest. Upon arriving at the path, he found another dorm mate standing idly by as he exited the forest.

Authin looked him up and down, "What were you doing in there?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "Never you mind." Santh snapped and began to make his way down the dirt path with Authin following behind him.

"Are you collecting your schedule?" Authin asked and received no answer. "I took notes from everyone to collect their schedules for them, if you wish to write me one I can complete this task for you."

"I will collect Lenore's and my own." Santh found himself in the flowered court and tried to hurry away from the man, but as small as Authin was he was able to keep his steps comfortable with the large Mondues.

"This entire break feels as if it was my busiest and most laborious though it also feels as if it went by like a hawk hunting it's prey. That is to say quickly." Authin yawned. "Normally, I return home where I play with the hearts around me, but this break feels accomplished."

"I suppose so." Though, Santh couldn't remember Authin actually assisting in any of the building or labor. Of course, other then helping to plant flowers in the court, neither did Lenore. All Royal were the same, he thought to himself. They took credit for the hard work of others and act as if the entire building was built on their backs alone.

"We are very fortunate that we had Jolon and Anton, otherwise it never would have been built. It was fated that Lenore would protect them from her brother, do you think?" Authin was just as uncomfortable walking with Santh, but he didn't want to offend the man by putting distance between them and seeming as if he didn't wish to be near him.

"I suppose so." He echoed his last statement and glared at the man out of the corner of his eye but Authin's eyes faced forward and could not see the annoyance that was burning into the side of his temple.

The two continued to walk to the center court together and Authin continued to speak endlessly due to nervousness. He never realized how much Santh would have preferred that the small Royal simply walk away from him and keep distance forever.

---***---

Damek could see the rooftop of the new dorm above the treeline from the flower court. This had been noticed several times by others that walked passed him. He grinned when he heard the conversations of the students that wonder how they were able to build such a large dorm. Whispers spread that the Prince was soft for allowing such an atrocity for mere commoners.

Walking down the dirt path, he commented to himself that they hadn't bothered to open the path up at all. Though he wondered if that was done on purpose, as it was rather unnerving whether you walked down it once or a hundred times. There was a sense of eyes watching you from the woods, and that the path would never end even though he knew well enough the dorm was but minutes away.

As the path opened up, a scent of flowers overtook him and he looked around the well manicured court. Flowers and pathways abound and there were several tables for studying outside. They had truly worked hard on this project and Damek wondered if it would all be for naught. His eyes searched the area until he found Lenore sitting at a table with her commoner friends, except for one familiar face.

As he approached, it was the two male commoners that lifted their heads and noticed him first. "Princess Lenore." He said her name when they did not announce him.

Lenore looked up from her scroll.

Damek then turned his attention to the other woman, "Lady Harona, a pleasure to see you here for a third year. A very brave act on your part, please inform me if you need any assistance."

Harona bowed her head, "Thank you, sir. I shall."

Ignoring the commoner female and the two males, Damek turned his eyes to Lenore. "I am afraid this is not a social call, and I must speak to you in private."

Lenore sat silently for a moment, before she stood from the bench and looked at her friends. "I will return shortly." She informed them before leading Damek around the dorms and down to the stream where she thought they would benefit most from the solidarity. "What is it, Damek?" She asked as she turned around to face him.

"I am afraid I come with grave news." He watched for some form of reaction even a small change of her eyebrows, but she only continued to stare. "Your brother had the council vote on this building, and they will come to tear it down tomorrow."

The reaction he wanted was now all over Lenore's face, which brought pleasure to his heart. "Why would he do this?"

"The building was not sanctioned by the student council, Lenore. Surely, you knew this could be the outcome."

Lenore's eyes looked over the building behind him and he could tell she was thinking. A plan was working in her mind, but she was in luck because he had already come prepared.

"I have an idea that might save the building." He said and watched as her eyes returned to him. "Go speak to your brother. He has been under his mother's influence this break, and perhaps he needs a reminder that you are in fact still his ally. If done correctly, I am certain he will be able to end this during tonight's council meeting."

Lenore thought for a moment before she nodded her head, "I suppose it is worth speaking to him. Do not inform the others of this matter, I do not wish to alarm them without need."

He bowed his head gently, "Of course, allow me to walk you to the Royal Dorms since I am returning there myself."

"If they saw us together, Lesatan might believe you informed me."

He slowly shook his head, "I informed the Prince this morning that I must tell you and that it would be unfair to destroy your work without warning. He did not forbid me."

She seemed satisfied with this answer and hurried to leave the dorm's area with Damek at her side.

---***---

Lenore had briefly come over to the table to inform the group that she had a matter to attend to with the man that had come to visit her. They both left quickly though in an attempt to act naturally enough not to arouse suspicions. However, she had fooled no one.

"That was her cousin, Damek Tahan." Harona spoke out loud not certain who knew and who didn't. "He is on the student council and direct rivals with the Prince."

"Rivals?" Jolon asked as they all continued to sit around the table.

She nodded. "At the very least he thinks he is, even if no one of importance in this country does. His father was meant to be king as he was the first born, but he preferred to run around and enjoy life that left all his responsibilities to his brother, King Lucius. Eventually, he was given a choice to act as the Crowned Prince or lose his rights to the throne entirely. My father tells me that it took him less then a second to make his choice and he gave everything happily to his brother."

Saena's mouth was slightly ajar and when she spoke her voice was airy. "He must have truly loathed his life."

Harona nodded, "When they stripped him of his right to the throne , he was given his mother's maiden name and demand he never call himself a Cromwell ever again. His brother promised him land and a title when he was ready to settle down. I heard that he had a great deal of adventure and he traveled from country to country. Until he met a brothel worker whom he fell in love with and married after she became plump with a child, Damek." Harona's eyes looked between the three people watching her. "The King gave him his lands and titles, and made him one of the most powerful men in the country."

"I fail to see how this makes Damek rivals with the Prince." Anton interrupted as he sat calmly beside her.

"The lands, titles, and gold were not enough for Damek once he learned that his father was the rightful king or so he thinks." Harona explained as she tapped her fingers on the table. "We often had Damek during the summers as my father and his are close friends. He would speak on and on about the unfairness of it all and how Lesatan does not deserve the throne. I have never trusted him." She stared at the dirt path he had disappeared through.

Harona did not wish to speak too harshly of the man after all he was far more powerful than she would ever be. However, she often thought of the older boy who used to drag her into town just to watch the poor and the beggars. He would give speeches on how unfair it was that they had to beg for their food when he could help them as king. For a long time, she thought he was a man of a kind heart and she began to see that Lesatan was cruel and Damek was a man of the people, but that was not to last.

She had overheard him when they were visiting the palace. She had gone to find him and instead nearly stumbled into a small meeting. He was telling them that if ever he had to take the throne violently from the future tyrant, he would need the Fortress to do so. Therefore, he had won the loyalty of the little girl who would some day control it. It had broken her heart to learn that her childhood friend had designs on her.

"What do you suppose he wants with Lenore?" Saena asked with worry in her voice and her arms wrapped around herself though she was not cold.

She shrugged, "I would not dare to guess, however I do not worry for her in the least. Damek is but a puppy in the world of war beasts that Lenore has lived in. Both of her mothers for example. I am certain she knows what she is doing."

That statement seemed to give the group relief.

"Shall we play cards once we are done?" Saena asked after a brief silence that seemed to want to change the subject.

Everyone nodded and returned to their scrolls in front of them.

---***---

Remus and Ophelia stopped in the flower court near the dirt path when they noticed a strange couple coming towards them. They glanced at each other in confusion for a moment before they watched Authin and Santh return side by side. Though it appeared that Authin was speaking the entire time and Santh merely looked annoyed.

"Afternoon!" Authin spoke cheerfully when he noticed the two standing in the court. He thought they looked expectant and hurried to hand them the paper with the schedule written upon it. "Class schedules."

Remus took his as Ophelia looked over hers. He tried to see over her shoulder in order to discover how many classes they would have together this year.

"Well, I am off to the hamlet." Authin announced and offered Santh the rest of the schedules. "I trust that you will assist me in finding their owners."

Taking the stack of papers from him, Santh nodded and watched him walk off into the distance. "That man is highly agitating." He mumbled the words so it was no surprise to him when his friends did not acknowledge him or perhaps they were too engrossed in the matter that had just presented itself. A new challenge to their relationship.

"That can not be." Ophelia frowned after she had snatched Remus schedule away from him. "Not a single class?"

Remus took the pieces of paper gently from her as Ophelia turned to Santh. "Let me see Routine's schedule." She knew she didn't use his first name but she was too crushed in the moment to think of all the rules he had set for them.

Before Santh could begin to dig through the stake, Ophelia yanked it away from him and quickly sorted through it before she found the paper she wanted and handed the stack back to Santh with far more grace than she had taken them.

She looked over the schedule and frown deepened upon her looks as disappointment set in. "I have three classes with Routine."

Remus attempted to look upset but a small smile appeared on the corner of his lips. He knew exactly what this was. Routine was staking his claim and showing Remus his true power. "It appears that the heir to the Souchan's was very serious about us not being seen together."

"You believe he did this?" Ophelia asked as she continued to stare down at Routine's schedule and fought back tears. "Let's ask him to change the schedule so we can have just one class together. Perhaps, he..."

"It is useless. Once the schedules are passed out to the students there can be no changes made. It is Souchan school policy. One I believe written by Routine's great grandfather." Remus sighed audibly and looked at Santh who was standing with a slight grin on his lips. "Why is the giant grinning from ear to ear? I wonder."

"I have two classes with Lenore." He announced proudly almost as if he was taunting his friend and Ophelia.

"Your feelings for her continue to cause a desire to regurgitate my meals." Remus stuck out his tongue to show his disfavor.

Ophelia chuckled and smacked Remus' arm. "Oh let him enjoy his blossoming love."

"It is not the love that bothers me, instead it is the attempted sweetness and overbearing giddiness that I have never seen from this man that makes my stomach churn." Remus turned his eyes to Santh. "Your happiness is revolting."

Santh continued to grin as he shrugged his shoulders and began to walk toward the dirt path with the schedules in hand.

Ophelia and Remus followed behind him with the latter shaking his head as he watched the man in front of him.

---***---

Lesatan grinned as he looked out his window and saw Lenore walking through the gate with Damek at her side. Making his way over to his desk, he sat down and waited calmly for her to arrive with all her fury. He had won this time, and she would finally be where she belonged. He was giddy with excitement but tried to remain stoic as he folded his hands on his desk.

The door opened and Lenore stepped into the room. It had not taken her long at all to get to his office, and he assumed she had run up the stairs. Walking over to his desk, Lenore slammed her hands down on the wood and glared at him.

"If you destroy this dorm, Lesatan, I will destroy you." She snarled and stared deeply into her brother's eyes. She immediately noticed that he was unmoved by her threat.

A grin appeared on his lips as he leaned in closer to her face. "I've caught the dragon, and now it will be tamed."

Her brows came together as a look of confused painted over her face. "What nonsense are you speaking?"

"Sit, Lenore." He ordered as he leaned back in his chair and crossed his ankle over his thigh and then rest his hands together.

Swallowing, Lenore sat down as her brother demanded.

"You built this dorm in direct violation of the council's code. I do not believe you are a fool, therefore you knew what you were doing and expected not to be punished. After all, you are Princess Lenore, however you failed to calculate that your brother is the head of the student council." There was a cup of tea on the desk and he leaned in to take a sip.

"You never planned to tear it down, did you? This was all a ploy to get something from me. Very well, Lesatan, out with it." She crossed her arms.

Lesatan couldn't help the excitement bubbling in his chest. "I can convince the council at tonight's meeting to not destroy the dorm. In truth, I do not care about the meager home that you provide the pathetic students of this school. What I do care about is your utter disrespect for me, which ends now."

She nodded her head, "Fine, I will show you greater respect in the future. Was that all you wanted? Did you really have to bring the council into this mess?"

Lesatan chuckled, "No, Lenore. That is not all. You see this is very important to you, so important that I believe you will give in to the one demand that you have always managed to elude." He took another sip of tea.

Her lips pressed together and her jaw locked.

"You will return to your dorm room tonight with your belongings, but before that you will severe your friendships with those worthless entities at South Dorm." He set his cup down and stood up from his chair to walk around the desk, where he sat upon it in front of his sister. "If I ever see you speaking even cordially to them then I will find a reason to have the dorm destroyed. I do not care how you end the relationship other than you do and ensure they never speak to you again."

Lenore stared at her brother and said nothing.

"Once this is done, you will return to your dorm room and to my side. Where you will act as my adviser as our father has always wanted, and where you will be completely loyal to me. Do you understand my terms?" Lesatan crossed his arms in a mimicking move of his sister.

Standing from her chair, Lenore bowed her head as her heart dropped. "Yes, milord. I will do as you command."

"Good, then go." He waved his hand and watched as she left the room. Walking over to the window, he watched his deflated sister make her way towards the gates. Suddenly, the sugary sweet excitement turned into a bitterness that he couldn't decide if it was a sense of dread or regret.

---***---

Damek stepped into his office and looked down at the man sitting in front of his desk. His room smelled of the firewood burning as he always demanded that pine cones be thrown into the fire. Unlike the Prince's office, Damek kept his room rather simple. Wooden chairs for guests to encourage them to leave quickly, as he preferred his time be spent alone. Though his own desk was comfortable as he spent many long hours plotting and studying.

Sitting down in his chair, he folded his hands on his desk and looked at the man across from him. "I do not recall asking you to join me in my study, nor did I give you permission to enter without my presence."

Marius Decoste leaned back in the wooden chair though he looked just as nervous as he always appeared in front of Damek. "You did not, however I saw the two of you enter the dorm and I have reason to hide myself from the Princess."

Standing up, Damek moved to the window and slightly pulled up his pant legs as he sat down on the sill. "I have heard that the low birth servant was allowed entry into the school. I specifically placed you amongst the professors to prevent such entries."

"This... this is why I must shield myself from the Princess, milord." Marius explained as he played with the button on his shirt sleeve.

Turning his head to look at the man, Damek offered the man a look of utter annoyance before he spoke curtly. "I was aware of this, which is why I brought the subject to light. Explain what she has done?"

"She and her Mondue guard arrived at the testing grounds, and all but threatened me outright. I was to grade the servant's test honestly. I am afraid I have betrayed you." He lowered his head and waiting for Damek to grow angry.

Instead, Damek chuckled. "All is well. She will be making such decisions in the future once my plans come to fruition. She might as well begin early."

Looking up from the ground, he watched as Damek stared out of the window. "Lesatan is threatening her as we speak?"

"As we speak." The rooms heat had fogged the windows though he could still see out into the court. He thought to wipe it away with his hand, but thought that it would conceal him if anyone looked up into his window.

Marius stood from his chair and carefully cleared his throat due to nervousness. "Shall I see myself out?"

He shook his head slowly, "I do not wish Lenore to see you leave my office. You shall wait until she leaves the dorm."

"You brought her here, did you not? What if Princess Lenore comes to speak to you about the matter after she discusses it with her brother?" Marius swallowed as he continued to watch an eerily calm Damek.

"Then you will hide behind the curtains or anywhere you please, however she will not. Lenore would not consult with me on this matter. She does not see me as worthy enough to share her burdens with, though that will change in the near future. She will come to understand what I am doing for her." A slight grin appeared on his lips.

Marius bowed his head and returned to sitting in the hard wooden chair. A silence fell between the two men. One that was nerve wrecking for Marius, but completely comfortable for Damek. The minutes felt long as they waited for Lenore to exit the dorm.

Finally, Damek grinned as he watched Lenore leave in a huff. He wondered what she would do now that her brother played his hand. Would she allow the dorm she worked on for so long to crumble to retain her freedom? Would she return to this dorm and destroy every ounce of freedom she had earned? He did not know just yet, but he could not wait to discover the answer and so he would wait by the window for Lenore's return, never again address Marius even after he excused himself.

---***---

Lenore walked down the dirt path as girls from the dorm smiled and said their greetings, but she did not reply. She held all emotion deep without herself and refused to allow any to seep to the surface. She had come here on a mission and she knew exactly what she must do in order to achieve it.

Her heart ached as she walked into the beautiful new court that she had helped create, but her face remained stoic. Santh was sitting on the steps on the dorm as Remus and Ophelia stood in front of him. They were laughing. Anton, Saena, Jolon, and Harona were sitting at the table enjoying a meal that would be the last they would have at the dorm for a while. Soon they would return to the dining hall where Lenore knew she would never sit again.

Santh stood to greet her as she made her way towards him. "Your schedule. We have two classes together!" He told her cheerily.

Lenore snatched the paper from his hand before she walked up the stairs and made her way toward her room.

Ophelia and Remus looked between each other with concern before they turned to look at Santh to see if he had any answers.

"Is she upset with you?" Ophelia asked as they had expected more of the sickly sweet relationship the two had come to have together.

Santh slowly nodded his head as he watched her disappear into the dorm. A look of confusion sat upon his face.

Lenore could overhear them as she made her way to the second floor, but continued to act as if she was not engaging with them.

"Where ever she went with Damek must have angered her." Harona said from the table before Lenore could no longer hear any more of the conversation.

Entering her room, she looked over the small area that she shared with Ophelia. Had she known that last night would be the last time she would share this space with her friend, she might have enjoyed it more. Of course, she would have enjoyed far more time with her friends here had she only been given a day before she created this divide.

Inhaling deeply, she could smell Ophelia's rose perfume mixed with her very own butter cream scent. Some clothes laid on the ground that Ophelia promised she would wash that day but obviously never did. Lenore grinned weakly at them.

There was a small bouquet of flowers laying on her bed that Santh picked while she was gone. To look upon them felt as if a fist clenched onto her heart and began to squeeze with all of its might. However, she reminded herself that she could not cry.

Grabbing her bag from her closet, Lenore began to stuff anything she owned in the room into it. Clean clothes and dirty clothes mixed together. In those moments, she didn't have the courage to care because caring for anything might make her tell her friends the truth. It was a truth that would only harm them in the future. She knew what must be done as she slowly destroyed everything she had made in the last year in order to save what she had created over the summer.

One deep breath after another, she considered the words that she would say to her friends in a few moments. Words that she knew would be painful for them to hear as they were designed to do. She had rehearsed them in her mind the long walk back from the Royal Dorms, and she was now ready.

The door opened behind her and Ophelia entered the room. "Lenore, are you angry with us? Did Damek..." She cut herself off as she looked at what her friend was doing.

Lenore simply continued to pack her items into a bag, and ignored her entirely. Though, she wanted to turn around and tell her friend what had happened.

Ophelia's mouth dropped slowly, "What is this? What are you doing? Lenore, are you packing your belongings?" Her words were loud enough that she knew the others would be along eventually, and the time had come to end things in the worst way she knew how.