Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 47: Mostly Uneventful

The year between the break was mostly uneventful. The fear that the third year girls would be harassed proved untrue within a couple of months, though it seemed everyone from the other parties ignored anyone from South Dorm. It was as if they had all been ordered to pretend they didn't exist, along with their old friend, Lenore.

She hadn't spoken a single word to those at South Dorm since she left. Jolon had a class with her, as did Ophelia and she did not even make eye contact with them. It was purposeful, that was what Ophelia had decided. Of course, she had not given up on her friend and had on multiple occasions attempted to approach her. She was always sent away by the guards that seemed to follow her around. These were not Mondue guards, but guards from the palace. Lesatan and Piera had a couple assigned to them as well. The king himself had ordered them but did not give his children any details as to why they had two guards each.

As Ophelia stepped out of the classroom, she noticed Lenore speaking with her announced fiance, Armand Borges. The two had been introduced to the school as a wedding couple three weeks after Lenore left South Dorm.

Saena approached Ophelia as a sea of students passed around them attempting to get to their next class. "Don't try again, Ophelia. It is truly becoming painful to watch."

Ophelia looked at the friend who had appeared beside her and frowned. "She has to know that I still believe in her. She has to believe that she can never turn me against her."

The servant girl sighed, "How many times does her guards have to drag you away before you realize she doesn't want to know or believe any of that? She wants you to leave her alone. That is what Routine said she wants, and as a good friend shouldn't you give her that? Besides, he is starting to feel your behavior is humiliating to his family name, you have to think about your future husband."

"Look how melancholy she looks?" She pointed toward the Princess. "She doesn't want to marry that man and she doesn't want to live at the Royal Dorm."

Before Saena could say anything, Ophelia rushed off once more. Saena covered her eyes with her hand as she couldn't stand to watch this happen once more.

"Lenore!" Ophelia yelled as she rushed toward her. "Lenore! I know you are still my friend. What is happening? Please, tell me!"

The Princess said nothing as she looked towards her guards and gave a nod. The two large men grabbed Ophelia by her upper arms and lifted her off the ground. They walked her over to Saena whom they had come to know.

"Hold her back, Saena. Lenore is getting close to complaining and having her removed from the school." The older guard in his mid thirties told her once she lowered her hands from her eyes.

As they walked away, Saena sighed. "Did you hear that? Lenore could have you removed from this school! Your dream of taking back the Fortress will forever be lost!"

Ophelia stood beside her. The guards never harmed her or tossed her roughly around. They were always rather gentle with her, and she couldn't help but think that was Lenore's orders.

After a moment of silence, Saena put her hand on Ophelia's shoulder. "We need to start our way to our next class." The two shared a class together next and Saena would always come to find her to walk together. It started as a way to protect each other but in the end they needed no protection.

As she gently maneuvered Ophelia away from Lenore and towards the class, Saena looked over her shoulder at Lenore. The Princess did not glance toward Ophelia and simply continued to speak with Armand. She smiled and laughed at what he was saying, and did not seem to care in the least for the heartbreak of her friend.

Saena believed like Ophelia that Lenore was protecting something or someone with this behavior, but she asked herself constantly, "Must you be this cruel?"

Of course, Lenore never heard her question and therefore would never answer, but sometimes when she would catch a glimpse of Lenore's eyes, she thought she heard. "Yes, I must."

---***---

Sitting on the ground in the back of the room with a desk over his lap, Santh watched the front row as Lenore sat with Piera beside her. She had not made eye contact with him in the past school year, and no words had been spoken. He hadn't even tried to approach her as he had heard the many stories that Ophelia had to offer. Of course, Saena would explain how humiliating they were to watch as well.

He knew when to let go and Lenore had made it obvious enough that she wanted nothing to with him or anyone in South Dorm. Even Routine had found himself invited to the Royal Dorms by his sister and had reported back that Lenore did not speak to him if he saw her at all. She had told them that there was nothing more she wanted from them, and she had proven that she had spoken the truth. The relationships she had created were now dead and meaningless to her.

The professor stood at the head of the class as he lectured on the battles that had taken place over the country's history. Santh never bothered to listen to lectures, but during this class he was usually focused on Lenore. His mind would mull over the last few moments they had spent together. She went from sweetly asking him to collect her class schedule to informing everyone that her entire time at their dorm had been a ruse.

He had been told that Damek had collected her that day, and that was the only link he had to anything strange that could have occurred. Where did he take her? What did they discuss? Of course, it didn't seem like Damek was involved in her life at all when he saw her. It was always Lesatan watching her from nearby. There were pieces missing from that day and Santh just wanted to know what those pieces made when laid into place.

"And as we all know the general of that battle was... Santh?" The professor said and pulled him out of his thoughts.

"Uh." Santh had not been listening and hoped that the professor would ask the question with more clarity. "Yes?"

"Who was the general?" The professor leaned against the table in front of him and seemed to be waiting.

"General Aluc Vasade." The last thing he had heard was from the professor discuss a battle that had occurred over a century ago.

The room chuckled at his answer which told him that they had long ago finished discussing that battle, and more importantly this was probably something he should have known.

"Mondue commoners don't even know their own parent's history." Lenore voice rang out. "This is why we shouldn't bother with them at this school."

The room continued to laugh at Lenore's comments as the Princess grinned at others around her before she returned her eyes to her desk. The only person who did not seem amused was Piera who merely glared at Lenore.

"Santh," The professor ignored Lenore and continued to speak to him. "perhaps you should pay attention in class and not day dream. The answer was Varden Aguilar."

Santh nodded his head and lowered his eyes as the teacher returned to his lecture. Lenore's words echoed in his mind as he couldn't believe the woman he battled a student professor with would say such things about him.

This woman she had become made no sense in his world. She was petty and cruel like her brother. She showed no signs of caring or concern for those around her not like she had at the dorm. The only gentle story he heard about her was that Ophelia's constant harassment was only met with guards cautiously carrying her away.

It had been months since Lenore had acted as the woman he thought he had come to know and he wondered if he had been wrong. Did she truly fool them all this time? Was she so clever that she made them think she was their champion when she was merely a puppet master? Was her only intention to somehow make a mark on this school that would stand for generations to come?

He didn't want to believe it even now, but it appeared he had no choice.

---***---

Jolon and Anton sat in the center of the room on the floor with desks on their laps as the arithmetic professor sat behind their desk and prepared for their class that day. Students were still moving from classroom to classroom and there was a brief moment to speak to one another. As they always did between this class's break.

"It's still strange." Jolon said aloud.

Anton knew what he was speaking of and simply nodded his head as he watched third year females move about the room and no one bother them. Even Ophelia expected to have her books knocked from her hands and be told they were unwanted here. Instead, there was nothing. No one spoke to them or even made eye contact with them. It was as if Lenore was still in the dorm protecting them, but a hundred times more effective.

The members of South Dorm talked frequently about how they were waiting on eggshells for the other shoe to drop. Something had to happen. It felt like the rest of the students were trying to bring them into a false sense of comfort before completely destroying them.

Even when they almost won the tournament this year, they were left alone. With the school year nearing its end the entire dorm wondered if the prank would finally be revealed. No one was comfortable in South Dorm. When they walked back they often would wonder if the dorm would be burned down or all their belongings would be soaked in the stream. Nothing ever happened to them and that only made their nerves worse.

Lenore had prepared them for the most difficult year of their lives, and they were ready to fight the other students. Metaphorically speaking. Yet, nothing she said would happen was occurring. The worse they got was absolutely no one outside of the dorm would speak to them. Which in truth was a blessing.

"Maybe Ophelia is right and Lenore is protecting us." Anton finally spoke. "It is the only answer that makes any sense."

Jolon shook his head, "Lenore wants nothing to do with us. Why would she continue to protect us after she was done playing with us?"

He shrugged as students walked into the classroom to find their desks. "She did say that dorm was her legacy. Perhaps, she is protecting that dorm more than us and we are left alone as a byproduct of that need of hers."

His friend didn't look convinced but Jolon did seem to accept the answer in some way. "If it is not that then we have something horrible coming down the path towards us. We need to not lull ourselves into a false sense of safety and keep our eyes open."

Anton agreed. "I understand, but what if nothing occurs? When you return here next year will you still be afraid?"

Jolon frowned, "Are you still not ready to consider returning next year? Everyone has said they will try to help you."

He sighed and looked down at his desk. "My father would disown me and then where would I be? I have to take his place and... besides, I do not want to take their money. It is not really theirs and belongs to their parents. How would they feel to know they sponsored a commoner in a third year of university?"

With no answer for his friend, Jolon thought of how he would handle next year without another commoner at his side. "I hope someone else comes to this school. I would hate to be the only commoner here."

Anton chuckled, "It is awkward enough being just the two of us, isn't it?"

Santh stepped out of the classroom and looked around for the woman he had watched throughout class. Lenore with Piera by her side walked down the path and the students around them parted to allow them to pass. At the end of their path stood Armand and Lesatan who each offered their arm to the woman they would someday wed.

Six well armed guards stood nearby and watched as each had two guards following them except for Armand. They seemed to look around and act as if on edge while the other students moved around them.

Lenore did not look back toward him and simply began to walk away with the Prince and her fiance. Santh stood and watched like a puppy that had just been kicked. Piera's eyes caught him for a brief moment before the sea of students closed off her view.

---***---

"Do you not think you were too cruel?" Piera asked as they began to return to the Royal Dorms as the school day was at its end.

The question made Lesatan raise an eyebrow for a moment as he thought she was speaking to him, but when he looked down he noticed she was looking at his sister.

Lenore continued to walk calmly beside Armand and didn't bother to turn her head to look at the woman beside her. "He should have been listening in class instead of burrowing a hole in the back of my head."

"Who is doing this?" Lesatan asked and in his voice she could tell that he was being defensive before even knowing the details.

Lenore sighed, "Do not worry. I am being a good little dog, so do not involve yourself in small matters that are exactly how you planned."

Lesatan didn't respond to his sister but he pressed his lips together and frowned in reaction to her words.

Piera noticed that both siblings stared ahead and barely made eye contact with each other. In fact, over the last year they rarely spoke to one another at all. The only time Lenore spoke more than a couple words to him was in an effort to toss what he had done at him or to act as an adviser.

Though, Piera hated how this came to be, she found that Lenore was a bit more powerful than suspected. The council seemed more willing to listen to her suggestions as Lenore was given a seat in the council. The student that was removed for her to replace had been gracious and Piera soon learned that Lesatan had placed him there as a placeholder for his sister.

Piera had found that somewhat endearing until Lenore announced that of course he would do that, he was hoping for the day he would control her. However in that council room, Lenore's word carried weight. It was odd when she was allowed to sit in the meetings to see how quickly the council members changed their minds when Lenore spoke. She couldn't understand why they would agree so wholeheartedly with the bastard child of the king and argue constantly with the king's heir. She found it to be suspicious, and Lesatan found that it caused him paranoia.

The idea that having his sister by his side would make him stronger in fact made him weaker. Everyone seemed willing to listen to her and obey her commands, even the commands to leave those of South Dorm alone. Of course, he had reluctantly agreed to that demand as Lenore informed him that she could tell their father what he had done. He could destroy the dorm however their father might step in before hand or even rebuild it as a gift.

Piera had no idea why Lenore did not bother to tell her father if it were so easy to protect the dorm, but Lenore explained that one can not simply run to their father, the King, every time she doesn't wish to deal the issues at hand. Her father would not always be in her life and one day Lesatan will be king and it is best to deal with him now. Piera didn't completely understand but she knew well enough to let the scheming siblings continue to play their game.

They were children that liked to torture each other until it became boring or they needed a nap. She had no idea how she would survive these two who lived off of chewing flesh from the others neck. Sometimes, she wondered what would happen if the two just sat down and spoke honestly to one another. Perhaps their could be peace in Ronea.

---***---

Harona and Anton walked side by side back to the dorm after classes. In the previous year, it would have been Jolon and Anton walking together, but his friend had a lady in his life to care for and had abandoned him. Though, Anton wasn't angry with his friend as he found a new one in the woman beside him.

The woman, however, wanted more than just friendship, and she had spoken such words clearly and without hesitation. Anton had rejected the woman, not because of her status, but because he knew this would be his last year at this school. Harona would move into a higher status, and he would be left behind in the Thatcher's Guild.

When he looked around, he realized that everyone he knew at this school would someday leave him behind when it came to positions. Even Jolon might bare the moniker of lord someday. It was no use to consider staying, his father would never pay for two more years. He knew that these last weeks would be his last with his friends.

Harona seemed to read his mind. "Have you considered staying for two more years?" She asked as they arrived at the flowered court outside the dirt path. Students walked around them but ignored them as usual.

Anton stopped walking and stared at the woman before him. "I wish that I could, but I could not stay without my parent's permission."

"Sometimes, parents forget that their job is to raise a child that was greater than you ever could be, both in status and in their hearts. Your parents have done well with the latter, but obviously they need to be told they can not keep you in a position just because they do not wish for it to go to a cousin." Harona cocked her head to the side and placed her hand on his shoulder. "Stay, Anton. Continue moving forward with all of us. You helped build something wonderful here, do not leave before it is complete."

Her words were touching and he knew he wanted to stay, but he shook his head. "I have no money to pay for two more years if I defy my parents."

"Neither did Saena. Somehow, everything worked out well for her. Perhaps, we can find a way for you as well. Do not return home during the long break, and if by the end of it, we still have no money then you can return home."

"Speaking of Anton staying?" Remus walked up through the crowd of students and came to stand beside Harona.

"Yes, but if he stays, his parents will not pay for two more years." She informed him and they both looked at Anton.

Remus breathed in through his nose. "Even if you do not have the money, it is not as if they will toss you out."

The answer confused them both.

"Have you not heard of Gragor Defote?" Remus chuckled, "During my brother's time at the school before I arrived, there was a man who stayed at South Dorm. His family paid for two years, but Gragor did not wish to leave and return home. However, with no classes being assigned to him, he would camp outside of the classrooms and learn his lessons."

Harona and Anton looked between each other as if they were deciding if they were being tricked by Remus or not.

"Eventually, he was caught after six years. The headmaster heard his story, where he wanted to become a professor. The headmaster told him that if he could pass the sixth year exam, that he would allow him to stay another four years to become a professor." Remus turned to walk away.

"Wait, did he pass?" Harona asked.

Remus' brow came together and he looked over his shoulder. "Ask Professor Defote. He teaches the ninth and tenth year classes of student professors."

Anton cleared his throat as Remus disappeared and turned toward Harona. "Well, I am certainly not doing that."

---***---

Lenore followed behind her brother as he asked for Armand and Piera to leave them. The two siblings found their way to his study, where he sat behind his desk and waited for his sister to sit in the chair before him.

After a moment of silence, Lenore cleared her throat as she grew tired of Lesatan digging through the scrolls and papers on his desk. "Did you summon me here just to stare at your pretty girl-like face?"

He was not amused as he glared up. "I was informed that the Romanus girl harassed you once again. Should I take this matter into my own hands, since it is obvious you are incapable of dealing with this nuisance."

Lenore snorted. "I had the guards take her away. There is nothing I can do if one of those beings from South Dorm approach me except send them away. Short of killing them or removing them from this school, which would be counterproductive to why I am not speaking to them in the first place."

He nodded his head. "Fair enough, but ensure that you do not cause me to doubt your word on this matter."

Standing up, Lenore looked down at her brother with disgust and tried to hold her anger in as best she could. "Is that all? May I be excused?"

Lesatan shook his head and motioned for her to sit once more. When she was seated, he continued to speak. "I have discussed the matter with Mother and Father, and have reached a conclusion on Piera."

"She was in question?"

He seemed to ignore the question. "She and I shall wed during this break. We have decided to do so here at Apisarn as it is custom for students who marry while still attending the school to do so. Therefore, no one will be returning home who is directly involved, such as yourself."

Lenore pressed her eyes closed briefly in annoyance. "Why rush such a matter? Are you in such a rush to force her into your bed?"

Lesatan swallowed. "If you must know, Piera and I have already been intimate. Mother was informed and for fear that a bastard might be born, she demands we wed immediately."

A grin slowly grew on her lips. "How humiliating for Piera. Caught by the Queen and sleeping with you no less."

He ground his teeth together for a moment, "Who else would... never you mind that. You will have a part in this wedding, of course. However, Piera as been asking for a permanent member of the staff that will assist her. A lady in waiting which is nearly unheard of at this school, but if Piera desires it then she shall have it."

"You aren't going to ask me to..."

"Of course not!" He snapped. "Piera has a person in mind. She has asked for Ophelia. I need you to tell me that you will not be tempted by her appearance in the dorm. You must keep your distance from her at all times."

Lenore began to chuckle. "Has Ophelia agreed to do this?"

He nodded, "What else would she say? This is a great honor for her treacherous family, wouldn't you say?"

"After all the commotion she has created, you will allow her in the dorm." Lenore stood up and looked down at her brother. "Worry not. I will keep my distance from her, but I promise she will not keep it from me. There is a reason she has agreed. Ophelia is aware that something odd has occurred, and she will not rest until she knows the truth. Bringing her into this dorm could be the end of your control on me if she were to discover my reasons for abandoning them."

Lesatan shrugged his shoulder and leaned back in his seat. "I highly doubt she is well versed in espionage. I believe my secrets will be safe."

---***---

Damek sat in his study and looked around the room that he had used to expand his mind for eight years now. Next year would be a new way of life. He would return to his father's estate, where his father would give him control so that he and his mother could enjoy life again. It was words that always brought anger to his heart.

His father never wanted the throne that was simply handed to his uncle. His father fell in love with and married a prostitute from a local brothel which ensured that his father would never take the throne. His father only had a child before his mother demanded it even if it was with an unsavory woman. His father ruled the province given to him only because Damek wanted it and asked his father to take control of the land when he was twelve. His father wanted nothing more than to travel the world with his wife, drink alcohol, sleep openly with other woman that his wife approved of, and enjoy the pleasures of the world on someone else's hard earned coin.

Damek couldn't stand the sight of his father, and he was happy to know the in a very short amount of time he would be rid of him. His parents would leave the estate and it would be his to do with as he pleased.

A knock at the door took him from his reverie and he looked at the wood frame. "Enter."

Marius Decoste entered the room and was quick to sit in the chair in front of his desk. "You summoned me, milord?"

Damek nodded his head. "We need to discuss what you will be doing while I am away next year. Everything will begin. The revolution is upon us and our enemies do not know it is coming yet." He leaned back in his chair.

Marius cleared his throat. "I have already prepared the letters and found those loyal to our cause to ensure everything occurs without incident."

"No Souchan and no Mondue?" Damek said the words with venom in his voice as if he couldn't even stand their existence.

"No, milord. Only those of Royal Bloodlines."

"Good, the Souchans and Mondues can not be trusted. Never invite one into our plans, understood?" He watched Marius nod his head. "Ensure we have constant contact especially about Lenore's movements and actions."

Marius opened his mouth to speak, but silenced himself.

"What is it?"

Clearing his throat again, Marius spoke. "She looks beaten and angry at all times. I have not seen her smile over this last year."

A grin formed on the corner of Damek's lips. "I know. It is all concentrated on her brother as well. She will join this fight without hesitation to smite her brother." A small chuckle escaped his lips. "My heart is swimming in excitement. I can barely wait for this to begin. I grow more eager by the day, and I still must wait an entire break and until the first tournament. I will return home this break, and calm my nerves."

"What of the Royal Wedding?" Marius asked.

Damek lifted an eyebrow, "The Royal Wedding?"

"Lesatan and his bride are to be wed on the school grounds over the break. Should you not be here?"

Turning his head from side to side, Damek stretched out his neck in annoyance. "Of course, he would marry right before my plans come together." He took a deep breath. "Never mind that. I will allow Lenore to decide the girl's fate when she takes the throne from her brother."

---***---

As the South Dorm made their way to the dining hall, Harona, Saena, and Ophelia walked beside each other as the males of the dorm walked ahead of the group. Many of the girls surrounded them. Not many friendships were formed during the school years with the third year females, in fact none had been formed during the break either.

The third years seemed to keep to their own groups and ignore all others. Though, problems with the dorm were often brought to Ophelia. Mostly because it seemed the Souchans complained most of all about the accommodations. For some reason, Ophelia had become their spokesperson. Krine was among the women in the dorm though no one expected her to appear for a third year. However, she was given any complaint the Mondue's raised. There were no Royal females as they were welcome to stay as long as they wanted, while no new commoners had appeared that year other than Saena.

Weekly meetings between Ophelia and Krine had occurred with decisions being made in order to keep the dorm running smoothly. It was one of the few times that Ophelia felt like she was dealing with someone else other than Lenore. Her mind was constantly wondering if Lenore was in pain or saddened by the way her old friends were treating her. She heard what was said about the Princess from Santh and even Remus.

"It is strange." A Souchan female said nearby as Harona and Saena chatted amongst each other about what tonight's meal would be. "I truly thought there would be a great deal more repercussion to attending a third year. Instead, we are merely ignored."

The woman she was speaking to nodded. "If being ignored is the worst that will happen then I am willing to endure it."

"I wonder if they will continue to ignore us once we have left though." She replied. "What if any female besides a Royal will be treated as invisible for staying here."

The other girl shook her head, "I think it is the Princess. She left the dorm and now has the Prince's ear. She must be protecting us, after all this was all spearheaded by her."

They continued to chat as they walked further ahead, and Ophelia sighed. She couldn't tell if Lenore was protecting them or not, and sometimes she wondered if the words her friend had spoken when she left were true. Her eyes when she looked at Ophelia were cold and emotionless, she didn't take pleasure in the way she treated her but it didn't hurt her in the least either.

"There she goes again." Harona said as she walked beside Ophelia, though she was speaking to Saena. "She hears someone mention Lenore and that darkness overcomes her face."

Saena inhaled deeply and waved her hand in front of Ophelia's face, when she did not look at her. Saena took her friend's arm and helped lead her to the dining hall. "They must have been closer than I thought."

Harona nodded. "I guess it would be difficult to have feelings for someone and then find out they had been using you all along for their own selfish agenda."

Saena looked down and said nothing as she didn't wish to offend Harona with her own thoughts on the matter.

Ophelia could hear them, but she was too caught up in her own mind as she wondered the horrible world that Lenore had to suffer in. She wished she knew the reason behind it, but had no real answer. All she had was guesses and as the days went by they became darker and more horrifying.

"Are you going home this break?" Saena asked.

Harona shook her head. "I feel that my parents might try to keep me there if I return. It is for the best that I stay here."

Saena frowned as she continued to guide Ophelia. "My family still believes I am a traitor and wants nothing more to do with me."

"I think mostly everyone will stay this break. What about you Ophelia?" Harona looked at the girl, and though they knew she could hear them, Ophelia did not speak.

Her name being spoken caused Remus to turn around and though he wanted to assist her, he knew he couldn't show her much concern in public. His eyes went over to Routine, who looked at the group of women behind them. With a loud grunt, he made his way over to his fiancee allowing Saena and Harona to make their way more easily to the dining hall.

"There is a limit to my tolerance, Ophelia." Routine spoke harshly though he put his hand gently on her upper back and assisted her to the dining hall.

---***---

Santh had been the first to leave the dining hall and return to the dorm. He had made his way over to his now favorite tree where most people knew to find him.

Remus had left shortly after him telling the others that it seemed as if his friend needed someone to talk to. Upon arriving at the dorm, he made his way over to the tree where he found Santh with his back leaning against the tree.

"I heard that Lenore actually spoke to you today." Remus said as he stopped walking so he was standing in front of his sitting friend.

Santh looked up from the ground and snorted, "I would not call it speaking to me. She insulted me in front of the class."

"That is more than she has given any of us." Remus sighed. "Is that why you look ready to tear through the entire university population?"

Pulling one leg up toward his chest, Santh inhaled deeply. "It has been an entire school year since she left, and I am still pissed. When I see her, I want to walk over to her and shake her as hard as I can to knock loose what ever it is that caused her to act this way."

"Knock loose? I am not sure that makes much sense, but I will play along." Remus looked down at the leaf covered ground and pressed his lips together as he thought of even sitting down upon it. Fearing for his pants, he quickly made the decision to sit before he changed his mind. Plopping down in front of Santh, he sat uncomfortably as he thought of how his pants were staining themselves. "Do you believe as Ophelia does?"

"That she is doing this for some protective reason?" Santh replied with a question and watched his friend nod. "It would be nice if it were true. All year I have not been able to let this rage in my heart go. Whenever I see her, I just want to scream at her. If she is doing this to protect us from someone or something then I am pissed that she did not trust me enough to tell me, and to let me help her. If she really meant what she said then..." He didn't finished his sentence.

Remus looked behind him and scooted to the nearest tree to rest his back against it. "It must be difficult with Dalton and Audrey in our dorm as well. Lenore's own siblings abandoning the Royal Dorm to join us here is suspicious yet understandable considering their heritage. They may only be half siblings, but there is quite a bit of Lenore's mother in all of them."

"The two seem to stay out of my way and therefore I am not burdened by them." He picked up a dried leaf from the ground and began to pull it apart.

"What of her engagement surely that must sting?"

Santh swallowed, "Even if she had stayed here, she and I would have never married. This is not something that I am allowed to be jealous of."

Remus snorted, "You told me that you were going to take your lands and titles for her."

"I told you that I was thinking that I might take that course, not that I was certain that I would." Santh snapped.

"You can be jealous. She wasn't suppose to go to anyone else until after she left the university that was the plan, was it not?" Remus didn't need an answer. "Even if everything had happened according to plan, you would have still been jealous. Now, you are jealous and pissed that she walked away without so much as a true answer as to why."

Santh didn't know if his pride could take another hit of being called jealous, but he allowed the word to slide as he wanted to speak to his friend. "I cannot say that my feelings were deep for her though I wonder if they would have become that way. However, I am pissed that just when I realized she and her father were not the monsters that I always thought, she turned herself into a beast right before my eyes."

"The Cromwell family crest is a lion after all." Remus joked, but did not receive even a smirk out of his friend. "The break will begin soon. Lenore will go to the castle and we will finally have time to mourn her loss as a friend without the burden of having to see her everyday." Standing up, Remus patted Santh on the shoulder before heading back to the dorm. He could hear female voices and knew that the students were starting to filter back in.

---***---

Lenore sat in the Royal Dorm dining hall at the U shaped table with her brother. Other tables nearby were filled and eating their meal, but the advisers, Piera, Lesatan, and herself sat at the head of the room. To her right was her brother and to her left was Armand while Krius sat beside him and glared at the two of them as per usual. She couldn't be bothered to care about the jealousy she received from the Mondue and she doubted that Armand even noticed.

Instead, her mind thought of the last year. The South Dorm had competed in the first tournament this year, but after she helped the Royal Dorm defeat them they did not return for the second and third tournament. It angered her to no end that they would simply give up so quickly after they defeated the Royal Dorm twice in the previous year. She remembered mumbling the word coward under her breath when they did not appear in the arena and they did not bother to attend in the audience as well, except for Remus. Of course, he would appear to collect his wagers.

Santh was on her mind quite often as she thought how odd it had been this year. She had been so certain that he would try to speak to her and to understand why she had left at least once more, but he never bothered her. His eyes would merely fall upon her from time to time and she would quickly look away. She didn't want to unintentionally show him how miserable she was next to her brother. It bothered her that he never tried to extend his hand to her, but she feared if he did she would tell him everything and ask to be saved.

Ophelia was the most heartbreaking of the group. It seemed as if everyday she was trying to save her friend and she was so very certain that Lenore was being used by her brother. Of course, it was true, but what Ophelia didn't understand the reason why she had walked away and if every thing went according to plan, she never would understand.

Remus, Anton, and Jolon barely even looked at her, and when their eyes did meet there was a seething hatred for her. She tried not to take their anger to heart as she could understand, though she wondered how long Remus would be able to keep his anger considering they would work together again some day.

Routine did not speak to her but he did not seemed bothered either. In fact, when their eyes met, he would bow his head and greet her with a grin. She was certain he knew that some thing had forced her hand, and therefore was not upset by her actions.

This passed year she had missed them all. When certain events happened one or many of them came to mind and she wanted to tell them, but reality would remind her that she no longer had any friends. This dorm was full of snakes willing to bite and fill her with venom at the slightest mistake.

A hand touched her elbow and she looked over at Armand who seemed worried that she was so lost in thought. He had agreed to marry her in an attempt to stop their discussion of marriage between her and Krius once again. Armand was the one person who understood her hatred for the man. Of course, she wondered how any marriage could exist between her and Armand, after all there was no romantic feelings between them and there never would be.

She smiled at Armand to let him know that all was well, and turned her attention to her brother who was telling a story to his advisers. One that he had told several times over the past year, but every one laughed and acted as if it was the first time they were hearing it.

Lesatan was so smug and proud to have his sister at his side. He walked taller and seemed victorious in every undertaking, and Lenore could barely tolerate to look at him. Some part of her wanted to run away and disappear into the world. Leave these people and their ridiculous problems behind and finally be free of their plotting.

She, of course, would never flee from these people. Her father needed her to be at her brother's side, no matter how much she loathed him in these moments. With the break ahead of them, and another year to attend to, Lenore wondered if she could tolerate it. Would the looks and cries from her friends be ignored for another year? She had suffered enough, but things would remain this way for the unforeseeable future.