Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 48: White Silk

The wedding day was upon them more quickly then expected. Piera stood in her room in the dorm as Ophelia helped her dress in the white silk and lace that made up her wedding gown. Her hair pulled into a loose bun that had small white flowers pinned to her hair that made a halo. Her dress had butterfly sleeves and lace covered her chest.

Ophelia helped her with the buttons that laced up the dress from behind. "One would think the university classes are still in session with the amount of people walking around the school." Ophelia said trying to make small talk with the nervous woman in front of her.

Piera took a deep breath. There were plenty of students and their parents that had come for the wedding and were staying in the dorms even in the Royal Dorm.

A light knock came to the door, before it was opened and Lenore announced herself. "May I enter?"

"Come in." Piera turned to face her which forced Ophelia to walk behind her so she could finish closing the dress.

Entering the room, Lenore carried a small wooden box. "The Queen asked me to bring this to you."

"She should have sent a servant." Piera responded.

"She didn't trust anyone outside of the family to bring these jewels. They were worn by every queen on her wedding day since the Cromwells took the throne." Lenore informed her. "They are very precious, so be careful with them. You do not want Aletta's wrath."

Piera nodded her head. Even though she would one day be Queen and she was soon to be a Princess, she was frightened of Lenore now. Her unhappiness around the dorms made her worry over the Queen's words, and she began to wonder if Lenore would take the throne for herself. If she did, wouldn't that mean that Lesatan would have to die? Would that mean that she herself would die beside her husband?

Lenore bowed her head briefly, "I take my leave."

She watched the Princess leave the room before exhaled loudly once the door was closed. She turned her attention to Ophelia who she now realized had eyes full of tears. "Ophelia? Are you alight?"

Ophelia didn't seem to realize that her eyes were filling up and quickly wiped the tears away. "I want so badly to speak to her, but when she does speak it is as if I do not exist. The only time she ever acknowledged that I had spoken was when you asked me to summon her for you." She finished assisting with the dress and walked over to the bed where she sat on the edge. "In her eyes, you can see anger and pain building. It grows by the day and I fear what has happened to her."

Piera cleared her throat. "As I told you before, I know the truth, but it can not be shared with you. Please believe that there is a reason for her actions, and leave her be so she can complete her goals."

Licking her lips, Ophelia sighed. "I am grateful that you confirmed my beliefs, even if the rest of the dorm does not believe it. However, it is still painful to see her. Once she was my closest friend, my ally against the monsters of the school, and my light in the dark. Now, she acts as if I am beneath her notice, and that is true pain."

"Isn't that slightly dramatic, Ophelia?" Piera walked beside her and placed her hand on her shoulder to comfort her.

She slowly shook her head, "She meant a great deal to me. You do not know the horrors I experienced at the hands of my fellow students. You do not understand from what she saved me. You do not comprehend the relief I felt when I finally had a breathing hole in the coffin my father built around me."

Squeezing her shoulder, Piera nodded. "You are right and I should hold my tongue unless I do know the truth of your circumstances. I apologize."

Ophelia shook her head, "No, it is not your fault. Let us get you prepared for the wedding."

---***---

Lesatan stood in his room as his mother sat on the bed and watched him pace back and forth. His hands folded behind his back, he appeared to be marching somewhere in his mind but the walls continuously forced him to turn around.

"I do not understand why you have become so nervous. You were very collected and calm yesterday." Aletta could see the moisture forming on her son's forehead and the uneasiness in his eyes when he looked at her.

Stopping in the center of the room, Lesatan stared down at the woman that had given birth to him. "It all went too well, did it not?"

The Queen opened her mouth to speak, but she didn't understand what she was replying to and nothing spilled out.

"Lenore mentions her name as a potential bride. I meet her. She easily learned to live at my side. Lenore willingly gave up her engagement to her brother. It all went so perfectly." Lesatan took a deep breath. "This wedding will not occur. I can not be certain that Piera is not Lenore's spy who I have been played into her arms."

"I have spoken to her on multiple occasions, Lesatan. She is not a spy." Aletta stood from the bed and walked to stand in front of her son. "Piera is a wonderful girl who loves you with all her heart."

"Or a snake disguised to appear that way." He shook his head. "No, I can not be certain. Therefore I should not see this to the end."

A knock at the door interrupted their conversation, and Lenore appeared. She shut the door behind her and looked to the Queen. "I have delivered the jewelry as you asked."

"Lenore tell your brother that Piera is not a spy of yours." Aletta startled both of them with her bluntness.

"Of course, she will say she is not a spy. Why would she admit to planting Piera next to me." Lesatan turned his back to them both.

With a heavy, annoyed breath Lenore began to speak. "I did not plant Piera next to you. You called me here and asked me about female friends of mine. You wanted to take one of them as your bride probably in another attempt to control me. Well, you have control of me now, and you still act as if I am the fox in the chicken coop?"

"Lenore!" Aletta snapped. "There will be none of this right now. Your brother has to be married by the end of the day, and he is refusing."

Lesatan looked over his shoulder at his mother. "I can not be certain, mother. Forgive me for this embarrassment."

Calming herself, Lenore decided she would assist only because she knew Piera did care deeply for her brother. In truth, she could do much damage to her brother's reputation and even make it difficult to marry in the future if she simply let this stand. "You chose her because I mentioned her name, did you not?" She didn't need a response from him and he didn't offer one. "If you have chosen her because she was my friend, then you know she is a worthy person. I do not tolerate betrayers and fools in my circle. The fact that she has remained at your side for over a year proves she can tolerate you, which can not be said for most students at this school. For some reason that I can not comprehend, Piera loves you and protects you dearly. Calm yourself, and stop seeing plots where there are none. You have chosen wisely, Lesatan."

He nodded his head and seemed to become more relaxed.

Aletta released a sigh of relief. "Very good, now that this nonsense is over. Lenore find Armand and go to the arena. Ensure that all guests are greeted properly."

---***---

Routine and Remus being invited to the wedding made sense to Santh, but why an invitation was sent to him was confusing. Remus pointed out that his father was Varden Aguilar, of course he would be invited to the wedding of their lifetime. Still as he walked next to his dorm mates as other guests of the wedding passed by them, he thought that this had to be some cruel joke.

"Will Ophelia attend the wedding at your side?" Remus asked Routine with the eyes of a puppy begging him for a treat.

"I have announced her as my bride-to-be to my family. She has responsibilities to me now." Routine told him matter-of-factly. "She must attend to Piera first and foremost, but when my sister has no need of her she is to come to my side."

Sucking on his bottom lip briefly, he appeared disappointed. "May I have one dance with her?"

Routine gave a firm nod. "You must ask me in front of others, however. It can not seem as if she made the decision without my consent."

Remus felt a bitterness in his heart. He didn't appreciate having to ask another man if he could dance with his lady love. It seemed the longer the engagement occurred the more controlling Routine had become over Ophelia, even to the point that they had to set time with his approval for more intimate affairs. Remus began to wonder if Routine would even allow them to see each other after the marriage took place.

As they approached the arena, a massive amount of guards could be seen. They had come from the capital to ensure the safety of the royalty and their guests. They seemed to be stopping each guest to ask for the invitation as the tall guards hovered over mostly everyone. They wore their decorative armor with a tunic with the Cromwell's lion on their chests.

The three men approached and offered their invitations. They were hurried through so they to continue their work. As they approached the opened arena door, Santh stopped and held his breath.

Remus and Routine noticed his behavior and turned towards him as finely dressed individuals walked passed them.

"Santh?" Remus finally asked when it seemed like their friend was simply frozen in time and he followed his line of sight. "Ah, I see."

At the entrance of the arena stood Lenore. She was dressed in a silk, light purple dress with her hair up in a loose bun and at her side was Armand. They appeared to be the official greeters and spoke to each guest as they entered into what would be the wedding hall for the day.

Routine seemed to understand the situation as well and folded his arms to wait patiently as Remus walked over to help his friend.

"You have seen her countless times since she left the dorm. This will be no different." Remus put his hand on Santh's shoulder which seemed to unlock him.

He turned to his friend. "We have not spoken since that day. She will have to speak to me as I enter, and I do not... I do not want her to say anything to me."

Remus looked to Routine who seemed just as confused as he was. "You do not wish for her to speak to you?"

"If she speaks to me then I might discover that she is truly gone. I might find that the Lenore I knew never existed or that I no longer exist in her world." Santh took deep breaths.

"I really hate your romantic side. It takes the mystery from you so completely." Remus sighed as he looked toward Lenore. "It's better to know. She will give you a brief greeting. It will be Routine and I that she will have to dote on." He tried to nudge him forward.

Santh didn't budge as he watched the beautiful Lenore in strange clothing. She smiled at everyone she spoke to and she seemed so unlike the woman he once thought he knew. He feared that she was not acting in a false manner with the world right now, and it has all been false when he stood by her side. The truth seemed too painful to bear, but with a deep breath he began to walk forward.

---***---

At the South Dorm, four individuals sat on the rooftop of their newly built dorm. Some of the girls that attended their third year had remained on the school grounds, but most went home and many were trying to get as close as they could to view the wedding if they were not invited.

Anton, Jolon, and Saena were not sent invitations as they were commoners, while Harona had chosen not to attend. Her parents were unable to leave the fortress and since she could not take Anton with her, she decided to remain at the dorm.

The group could see the arena from the rooftop, and knew that the wedding would take place as the sun was setting. To announce the new princess there would be fireworks. It seemed others had similar ideas as many of the other dorms had human visitors as well and some who were not fearless enough hung out the window.

"I almost convinced Remus to take me to the wedding." Saena sighed. "In the end, he said he didn't want to cause offensive by bringing a servant guild member."

"It will be a dull event. I may not have attended a prince's wedding, but I have been to many Royal weddings. They are dreadfully boring." Harona tried to make her feel better even though she was telling the truth. "You sit and watch people make vows of love knowing that most of these people are marrying to join their families. After you have waited for hours, you eat food that was prepared in mass by the servants, which means the quality has been lowered."

Anton and Jolon chuckled at the conversation.

"Remus, Santh, and Routine will return sooner than you would think. They will probably show their face as best they can to either Piera or Lesatan and then return quickly after eating a small amount and having a glass of wine." Harona patted Saena's shoulder. "One can not tolerate those pretentious people longer than a brief conversation. Those people that attend simply want to take whatever you have and slit your throat."

Saena looked slightly horrified. "As someone in the servant's guild, I saw the cruelty towards any commoner. Do they really treat their own in the same manner?"

"Worse. As a commoner they will spit in your face or show their hatred, but to someone else with power you must stab them in the back while smiling at their face. A commoner is beneath their notice and not worth the time and effort it would take to kill them." Harona laughed bitterly. "My parents pretend to be close with Ophelia's mother, but as soon as she is out of ear shot they discuss how to undermine Ophelia and keep the fortress. They have petitioned the King countless times."

Saena sighed, "That may all be true, but I would be wearing a beautiful dress and be a princess for a day."

"That will happen at your own wedding not the wedding where there are actually princesses." Harona laughed. "I bet Lenore and Piera will be truly beautiful tonight. Whenever I have attended an event, the Royals are always so beautiful and well dressed. None can come close to the beauty of the Queen and the Princess."

"I am going to get the mead and snacks that Ophelia brought us. I think we should celebrate when the fireworks begin." Anton told them as he stood up and walked over to the ladder.

Jolon followed behind him. "There is a great deal, we should have a picnic up here. I'll grab a blanket as well."

Anton began to climb down the stairs, "Should we build some stairs up to the roof?"

The girls could not hear Jolon's response and smiled at each other.

"Today is history in the making, Saena." Harona spoke as she looked at the arena in the distance. "Today a new Princess will be named and she will be the future mother to our next king. It is a pity that I did not attend."

"You were just claiming how awful it would be to attend."

Harona shrugged her shoulders. "I still would have liked to tell my children that I was there when they were wed and lie about how wonderful the wedding was at the time."

---***---

A large lump grew in Santh's throat as they approached the Princess. Routine and Remus seemed calm and confident. They were not bothered with approaching their emotional traitor as it was something they had grown used to doing living in the upper society.

Lenore also had a sense of calm about her that didn't tell of her true inner turmoil upon seeing her old friends come to be greeted by her.

All three stopped before her and bowed their heads, before greeting her with one simple word. "Princess."

"It is an honor to have you all at my brother's wedding." She smiled and looked towards Routine. "I was in disbelief when I heard that you would not be in the wedding party. Prince Lesatan was so hoping that you two could bond."

"Prince Lesatan desired a high end servant to stand about and submit to his orders. It is my understanding that he calls them advisers already." Routine answered with annoyance in his voice though it didn't seem that it was directed at Lenore.

Armand was standing beside Lenore and after Routine's words the others seemed to turn to see if he had taken offense. A small grin appeared on his lips. "I suppose that is an adequate description of my duties."

Santh remained silent as he stood behind his two friends and looked between Lenore and Armand who seemed rather close. She was holding onto the crook of his arm as she spoke to them with a slight grin upon her lips.

Remus cleared his throat. "I hear that you two will have your wedding day bliss eventually. When should we expect invitations?"

"Armand and I are planning to wed after I have finished university." Lenore informed him as waves of people passed them and did not get their greeting from the Princess.

"You shall have children late in life then?" Remus asked. "Surely after this day, it will not be long before our future king will be born into this world. Do you plan to wait to give us a secondary heir until you may not be able?"

"Twenty six is hardly an old crone, Remus." Lenore chuckled though there was some resentment in her laughter.

"No, it is not and is completely acceptable for someone of my station or even Routine's, but you are not of our station, are you? You are someone far superior to us." Remus was attempt to pull a reaction from Lenore, and it was obvious enough for anyone that heard the conversation regardless if they knew the situation. "It is of the utmost importance that you produce an heir for the sake of the country in case something were to happen to your brother before he produced one of his own... or what if they are like his mother and can have only one. If that child were to die in battle then a cousin must take the throne, do you not agree?"

Armand could feel Lenore tensing up beside him and began to laugh. "I suppose the country would be at a loss, but it would recover. There is still Damek and any children he produces. Worry not for the safety of your country, and please move along we have many guests to greet and you have taken up a great deal of our time."

Remus bowed his head. "Very well, my apologies." He began to walk away as Santh gave another bow before following behind his friend.

Routine remained however and placed his hand on Lenore's shoulder. "All is well? You are healthy?"

Lenore smiled at her friend and placed her hand over his own as she sighed heavily. "All is well. I am healthy."

With a nod, Routine bowed himself out before walking away from his friend that he still very much believed in.

"Remus that instigator." She cursed his name under her breath.

Armand couldn't help but chuckle. "Ah, your friends seem to be greatly amusing. No wonder you enjoyed your time at South Dorm."

---***---

A man fitting the King's image made his way over to the tent where he knew the Royal Family had taken shelter. As he entered inside, the guard gave a courtesy nod before he found Lucius' back facing toward him. In that instance, a grin came to his lips before he grabbed a handful of his King's stomach on each side and squeezed.

Lucius let out a mixture of laughter and fright before escaping and turning to see who his attacker had been. When he looked up the face, his eyes brightened and he tossed his arms around his brother. "Silarius! I thought you would not be in attendance."

The two hugged tightly before releasing each other. "My wife informed me that it would be rude to not attend."

Inside the tent there were all the luxuries that one would expect for a King and Queen. Clothing for the Queen to change, a bed to lay down on, and chairs to sit upon along with a vanity as well.

Aletta was sitting in front of the vanity and looking into the mirror as she fixed her hair. "Did you bring that whore to my son's wedding?"

Lucius lowered his eyes before giving his brother a look of apology, but they both knew that he would not correct her.

Silarius tried not to take the word to heart and quickly smiled. "Of course, my wife is part of the family. Is this not a family affair?"

The Queen seemed annoyed, but made no further attempts to engage the conversation and continued to mess with her hair.

"Father?" Damek entered into the tent. "I heard you arrived, but did not come to see me first?" He was more than a little hurt that the first person his father wanted to see was his brother and not his son.

"I sent your mother. I have not seen Lucius in sometime." He grabbed his brother's shoulder and squeezed. "Nicoletti's daughter as our future Queen. I can not say that I expected that for a family that created such a wonderfully strange son. Of course, it will be difficult to follow our present Queen as she is without peer."

Aletta snorted at the attempted compliment.

Damek was unimpressed by it as well, and thought of his mother who was standing outside the tent too afraid to come inside for fear of upsetting Aletta.

Lucius, on the other hand, laughed and did not see his nephew's frustration. "Well, I can not take credit for this match nor can my wife."

"No?" Silarius put his hand to his chest. "The boy did this all on his own? Oh my, how delightful. Mother must be furious that he did not follow the proper procedures."

"She is not." He shook his head. "It seems that this match was suggested to Lesatan by Lenore and Mother is thrilled to have someone approved by her."

"Truly Mother thinks too highly of Lenore's opinion when she fought against Aletta's choices so often." Silarius dropped his hand from his chest before looking at Damek. "Shall we ask Lenore to suggest a woman for your heart? I hear that Lesatan has fallen for his soon-to-be-bride."

Lucius chuckled. "Yes, it seemed my daughter has a knack for making matches. You have finished your university? Is it not time to marry?"

Damek did not want to have this conversation especially with his uncle. "I already have a bride in mind, there will be no need."

"Really? Who is she?" His father asked with surprise in his voice.

Shaking his head, Damek replied. "When she is in hand you will know, but until then please leave me to my tasks. Now, come, mother is waiting outside."

Silarius watched his son leave before shaking his shoulders at his brother. "We shall talk more later."

---***---

Lenore exhaled loudly as she entered her private tent and sat down in the vanity's chair. She looked in the mirror before picking up some cloth and dabbing her face to remove the sweat. The hot sun had been on her while she greeted guests for her brother and at times she felt lightheaded. Her father and Aletta had come to relieve her of the duty after some time.

Armand entered the tent with her and sat down on the bench. The ground beneath them was dirt as the arena had always been, but there were rugs thrown about to hide the ground from them. Sitting down on a bench at the end of a bed, he watched the Princess as she fixed whatever she thought was wrong with her face in that moment.

"Are you well?" He asked when he noticed she was becoming frustrated over a certain area of skin on her cheek.

She threw the cloth down onto the white vanity and exhaled once more. "I am tired from standing in the sun for so long. My skin feels as if it will burn." She rubbed her hand over the length of her arm.

"Ah, I wondered if perhaps it had more to do with meeting your old friends." He watched her reaction and could see from the widening of her eyes that he was correct which brought a frown to his own face. "The Mondue, especially."

"It is difficult to ignore them every day of the year, especially when Ophelia begs me to pay her attention. However, I simply did not think far enough ahead on this matter. I thought that once university was finished that we would never meet again, but many of my friends are of high standing." She took a deep breath before turning in the chair so that she was facing her fiance.

He gave a nod.

"Remus and Byron will be at many engagements in the future. They will more than likely attend my own wedding. I can not imagine that my father would not ask Santh to join as well, as he feels guilty for his father's death." She picked up the cloth again and wiped her face once more.

Armand did not know what to say to comfort her so he remained silent.

"It is so difficult to pretend that they do not exist, but for the brief moments that I must pretend they do I wish Remus wouldn't be so condescending. When he acts in that manner, I simply wanted to scream the truth of what I have done at the top of my lungs as watch his smug face melt." Tossing the cloth down, Lenore walked over to the bench and sat down beside Armand. She laid her head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around her own.

"Why must they never know?" He asked even though he had asked the question many times and heard the same answer.

"I do not wish to be their martyr." She parroted the same answer. "It is difficult to live with the hatred in their eyes when they look upon me, but it would be more difficult to see pity in their eyes instead."

Rubbing her shoulder, Armand nodded. "Then we shall continue as we are now?" He felt her nod her head. "We will have a very long life ahead of us that will be done together with many challenges. No one else in the world can know our pain or our secrets, but one another. Trust me with all your heart and I shall do the same with you."

Lenore once again nodded her head before placing her hand on his knee. "Will you come to visit me often?" She asked because this last year was Armand's last at university.

"In truth, I was considering informing my father that I will remain for a ninth year. I do not wish to leave you alone with Lesatan nor do I wish to leave him alone with only Krius and Enoch."

She lifted her head and a wide smile appeared on her lips as she grabbed both of his hands on her own. "Truly? Please, beg your father insist that it is at my request if you must. Don't leave me here alone, Armand."

"If that is milady's wish, then so be it."

---***---

Sitting in her own tent, Piera kept walking over to the flap and peeking outside. There were hundreds of people from all over the country, and some from other countries as well. Turning away from it, she closed the flap tightly behind her and looked at Ophelia who was sitting on a bench.

"My parents have not visited me nor my brother. Have they forgotten that I am the bride? Would I not need at least my mother's comfort on this day?" Piera's heart was racing as she walked over to the vanity and peered at herself again.

"Your nervousness is making me nervous, Piera." Ophelia spoke with an airy voice as she folded her hands in her lap. "Please, sit down and stop pacing. I am certain your family will visit soon enough. Do you wish for me to find them?"

Sitting down in the chair, she shook her head. "No, I do not want to make other believe that I am having any difficulties today." She took a couple deep breaths. "What if I fall? What if I say the wrong words?" She stood back up and began to walk back and forth on the rugs again. "I can not be the queen, what was I thinking when I agreed to this?"

Ophelia walked over to her and grabbed both of her hands before helping her to sit on the bench. She then adjusted a strain of hair on Piera's forehead before speaking. "It does not matter if you fall or say something foolish, you are the future Queen of this country. No one will dare to be cruel to you especially not with Lesatan as your husband."

With a slight laugh, Piera nodded. "Yes, I suppose so."

Ophelia grinned but began to frown when Piera's face began to hold worry once more. "Truly your thoughts will not leave you alone today."

"I was thinking of Lenore. I always thought the Queen was vengeful towards her, but I believe she is scared of the Princess." She swallowed.

"The Queen scared?" Ophelia found that difficult to believe as the Queen always seemed so certain of herself and those around her.

Piera looked seriously into her friend's eyes. "The Queen is from the Vinson family which makes Lesatan and any heirs we produce of that family. She believes that if Lenore wanted the throne that the people would rather stand behind a bastard child than allow a Vinson to rule."

"Is that way Lesatan tried to please Lenore beside him?" She remembered all the times that her brother had called Lenore to him.

"Yes." She held tightly to Ophelia's hands. "If Lesatan upsets Lenore enough, she might turn against him. There are apparently many people including Lenore's own grandmother that would prefer her on the throne. If she does this, what would happen to me? What if it happens after I have children, Ophelia?"

"You do not believe that Lenore would kill you and your children if that were to happen?" She felt her heart beating in fear though her mind sat in disbelief.

Piera sucked on her bottom lip for several moments. "What other option would she have? I am the former Queen that she usurped or the former would be Queen. If there is a child they could have rights to the throne when they grow older. Killing us would be the likely option to ensure her consistent rule."

Ophelia release a breath she had been holding. "Lenore has never showed any interest in taking the throne. If so many people are behind her as you say, one would believe she is also aware of them. Wouldn't she have acted by now, especially since her brother is now marrying?"

"I do not know. All I am aware of is that the Queen has made me fearful of my former friend. She asks me to appease Lenore constantly, and ensure that Lesatan doesn't cause her too much discomfort."

"So, Lesatan is the reason that Lenore left the dorm and her friends?"

Piera nodded her head. "He is the reason, but say nothing. If Lesatan discovers anyone outside of the Royals knows, he will do something truly awful."

---***---

Dalton and his sister Audrey had been greeted by the Queen and King when they arrived. The wedding was about to take place and most people were finding their way to their seats. A stage had been built and was covered in flowers with an arch in the center for the soon-to-be husband and wife would speak their vows. Chairs filled the arena floor and had their own special decorations of flowers.

It did not look much like a wedding for the future two most powerful people of the country. Instead, it looked like a simple country wedding with a large amount of relatives. Though, Dalton's father had informed him before that the Cromwell's prefer to understate their events especially weddings.

"She has locked eyes with me." Audrey said as her brother looked to see who she was speaking of and when he followed her eyes sight it was on their cousin, the Queen. Their father was her uncle which they often forgot as they were not ever truly invited to any events.

"Your father and mother were unable to attend?" Aletta asked as she came to stop before the two cousins. "Pity, though I suppose it is for the best. Vinsons are not usually well liked or spoken of often after an event such as this. I am surprised that the two of you appeared at all. Shouldn't you be back home?"

"We decided to stay over the break and study further, milady." Dalton informed her. He tried not to be offended by her words against the Vinsons after all she had been one most of her life as well.

"Drop the formality." She snapped, "I needn't be treated as superior by my own family. How is my uncle?"

"He is well." Audrey informed her. "He says he has plans to expand the city and bring the family name into better standing."

The Queen laughed, "Every Vinson since the betrayal has had those plans. We shall see if he will be the one to succeed, or perhaps you will, cousin." She looked towards Dalton. "I have heard you are of a more gentle nature than those who came before you."

"Have you?" Dalton swallowed. "I am not sure if that is a compliment or not."

Aletta smirked. "Neither am I. When my uncle passes and you take over the Vinson family that is when we shall know the truth. Perhaps it will allow you to be more likable therefore bringing more appropriate females into the household and less inner family marriages, or perhaps it will be seen as weakness and you will be assassinated. Your own sisters may have the ability. I know Lenore is more than capable."

"Lenore abandoned the Vinson name and the King allowed her his family name, milady. She gave up any say she has in the Vinson future." Audrey informed her as if the Queen had forgotten. "I would never betray my brother either."

Aletta chuckled. "You say that as if Lenore couldn't return to your family and take the Vinson name back. If she fails her coo against my son than expect just that."

Audrey held no love for her sister but something about the way the Queen spoke about her brought feelings that made her want to defend her. However, she knew better. "Of course, you are correct."

Dalton swallowed. "She does look rather regal standing under the arch."

Aletta looked toward the arch where Lenore would be during the marital exchange. "Yes, she can accomplish simplistic tasks such as appearing at events and wearing the clothes laid out for her."

"Milady, the wedding shall proceed now." A servant told the Queen who nodded her head and hurried to take her place.

"Bitch." Audrey mumbled under her breath and her brother gently smacked her shoulder in response.

"Say such things in your head alone." He scolded her. "The Queen may be your chance out of the Vinson household and into another, do not place yourself in a position that she would be unwilling to assist."

Audrey nodded her head. "Yes, I apologize."

---***---

There was no music and no one speaking as Lesatan and Piera walked arm in arm between the rows of relatives. Under the arch stood the King and Queen, and beside them sitting on the ground on purple pillows was Lenore and Damek. Their cousin would pass the offering to the King since Lucius had no more sons to take the place, and Lenore would do the same for Aletta.

Long ago when the kingdom had first become one and marriage between the different guilds began, there was much argument over wedding traditions. Each group had their various beliefs and gods, which made it difficult to make either families happy. This caused a resentment within families and a discourage to marry across lines. The second King called high ranking religious officials to him and asked that they create a wedding ritual that could please all belief structures. Thus the silent wedding was created so that all the gods could see and hear what was in the hearts of the bride and groom without words to make promise too grand for most of the flawed beings.

In Lesatan's and Piera's hands there was a gift in a small bag. Piera had brought a gem covered necklace sent by her parents, and Lesatan had brought his father a note informing him that a very rare bottle of wine awaited him in his chambers.

When the two walked up the stairs, they stood in front of the same gendered parent. After making eye contact, they fell to their knees onto purple pillows that were meant to protect them during this process. They then bowed deeply so that their foreheads touched the ground near the King's and Queen's feet. The scent of gardenias and roses was overwhelming on the platform. When they returned to their kneeling position, Piera looked over briefly at Lenore who gave her a slight nod as if to encourage her.

Piera went first and offered the small velvet bag to the Queen, who bowed her head slightly as she accepted the gift. After which Lucius took the small bag from his son and also offered a slight bow of his head. They each handed their gifts to Lenore and Damek who placed them on a pillow beside them before grabbing a very large velvet bag and opening it. They offered it to the King and Queen.

Even the commoners abide by this tradition in their weddings, even if they had little to give the father's parents would offer the most expensive item they owned to their children. Of course, the same was not true for the Royals who had a very special tradition.

Aletta went first and pulled the very tiara she had received on her wedding day and left the bag in Lenore's hands. This tiara had been passed down for generations and was worn by their own grandmother who watched from her own seat. It was covered in gems though it felt heavier than it appeared, this would not be the crown Piera would always wear as it was for her wedding day only.

The Queen briefly looked it over to ensure it was still perfect before placing it upon her daughter-in-law's head. Piera bowed her head briefly and as the Queen began to watch her husband to the same to their son with his wedding day crown; Piera looked to Lenore.

Lenore was watching her father place the crown on her brother's head, and she looked content enough in this moment. However, Piera felt uneasy in this moment. She was wearing a tiara that Lenore might have wanted to wear on her wedding day, but now it would belong to her. Of course, Piera recalled that it could not be as it involved the groom's parents to proceed over the wedding and therefore Aletta would never offer the tiara to her. That thought did not remove the sense of dread she had in these moments.

Once Lesatan wore his crown and bowed to his father, the King and Queen bowed to them followed by Lenore and Damek lowering their heads as well.

Immediately, Piera and Lesatan turned to the audience still on their knees and bowed deeply once more. Their forehead touched the freshly built structure. This was to ask for the blessing of all involved and also to show humility for their future rule. When they rose from the bow they stood on their feet as did the rest of the audience they then bowed to their future King and Queen.

Lenore and Damek arose from the ground and went to the opposite gendered bride and groom. They would lead them away from everyone and to the grand hall where they would celebrate the marriage, or at least the guests would.