Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 13: Tasted Tragedy

The first day of filming had come and things weren't exactly how Aven had imagined them. The budget for the film was rather low so instead of an air conditioned trailer, she found herself waiting for Tristan in a tent with a couple fans. There was a portable stand that the make-up artist had brought, a few chairs, and a cot to lay down on.

Because she kept getting in the way of the film crew, she had practically been grounded to the tent. Luckily, she had brought Noah's book along and decided that she would give it a shot. So far “First Nothing” was a good and interesting read. He had thanked his wife on the cover page for her undying support and love, as well as Camille for being his sounding board.

Aven could see the difference in the author's voice from the man she knew now. There was a happier tone to his writing even when she read the more darker scenes. This was a Noah that she would never know just like he would never know the old Aven. There was no going back to who they once were now that they had tasted tragedy. Certainly, one could move on and regain happiness, but one would forever be changed. There are events in life that change a person even if it's ever so slightly.

The tent flap opened and Tristan stepped inside. He was wearing black leather pants and a white button up shirt for a funny scene where he would try to pick up a girl at a biker bar, because his friends told him that biker chicks were easy. The baby faced, blonde didn't look like a biker at all, neither in the face or with his clothes, which Aven assumed was part of the joke.

The director soon followed in behind him. He was a young man in his late twenties with brown hair and thick black glasses. He looked like an everyday man, not someone who might become a director in Hollywood one day.

“What was that?” Mike, the director, snapped. “I know you have issues with intimate scenes, but it's barely a fucking kiss! You get interrupted half way through and you can't even pull it off?”

Tristan shrugged his shoulders. “Her breath tastes like ass.”

Aven had seen the more rugged looking woman who played the biker chick that he picked up. She knew there was a scene where he and the girl would be in the alley when her boyfriend caught them. The woman had been nice enough and she was pretty even if she gave off a more tomboyish vibe. She seemed to take good care of herself, so it was surprising to think she didn't take care of her breath before a kiss scene.

Mike exhaled. “We will film the kiss tomorrow. Let's do the fight and then we will finish it up tomorrow. You can't waste my fucking time like this, man. Do it right tomorrow. I don't care what you do to get over this, but I am not going to fight you tooth and nail through this whole movie.”

“I don't know how you expect me to just get over it.” Tristan sat down in a chair. He looked like a puppy that was getting yelled at by his owner.

“Make out with your assistant all night if you have to, just get it right. Someone will be in to do your make-up shortly.” He snapped before heading out of the tent.

“We'll figure something out.” Aven told the blonde as she watched him sink deeper into his chair. “The director is just being a dick. He probably has something he is afraid of too.”

“What are you reading?” Tristan didn't want to have this conversation with her and tried to change the subject.

She held the book up for him to see. “The only book published under Noah's name. It's pretty good actually.”

He felt jealousy fill his chest. She was reading a book written by Noah while she was with him and that was annoying, he decided. “Just now starting to read that? You ordered it a while ago.”

“Yeah, well, I was reading that biography about you and your band for a while. I kept getting interrupted so it took me some time.” She sighed. “Oh, do you need anything? I can go fetch you something to drink or eat.”

“I'm fine.” Her words about reading his book before Noah's had satiated any blood lust he had and he felt a little lighter.

Noah had thought all night about whether or not he would attempt to gain Ayanna's affections while the others were gone. He knew that Aven was right and that he cared for her because he couldn't actually have her, but what Aven didn't know was how much Ayanna reminded him of Autumn. He knew that Tristan would be making his move on Aven and he wasn't really sure how he felt about that. Of course, he didn't even know if the boy band member even had it in him to try.

Coming down the stairs, he smiled at the woman sitting at the table. She looked up at him and gave the saddest smile he had ever witnessed. Looking at her hand, she held a cell phone within it.

“I'll make lunch in a second.”

“No word?” Noah walked over to the table and sat down beside her.

She looked down at the phone in her hand. “They have been gone four days and Tristan hasn't called me once. Aven is the only one who talks to me and she has only called once.”

Reaching out his hand, he pat her own. “Don't worry. They are working hard to get back. I am sure of it. Didn't you say that if they rushed and worked long hours that Aven said they could come back within a month?”

Ayanna nodded her head.

“I bet that's what they are doing. Besides, you know how selfish Tristan is. I doubt the thought to call anyone has crossed his mind.” Noah chuckled. “Aven is pretty selfish too, and the two of them together just make one inconsiderate pair.”

She smiled gently. “I suppose you are right. I feel like a stalker calling him six times a day, but Aven as well. I should just relax a little.” Standing up, she moved toward the refrigerator.

“How about we order Chinese? My treat.” He got up and picked up the phone from the wall before Ayanna could agree. They already had the restaurants number in memory and he quickly placed the order before sitting back down.

Ayanna had returned to her chair while he was on the phone and she smiled at him when he sat down. “I don't know how you aren't lonely. Even if Tristan barely spoke to me, I really liked being around him. He made me feel calm and comforted like I didn't have to talk or do anything in order to be with him.”

Hearing those words, Noah thought that the comfortable quiet he had experienced with Aven had been much the same for him. “I am used to hanging out alone. If you want, I could come down more often or you can come up while they are gone.”

She slowly shook her head. “It's not the same. I can't just suddenly replace Tristan with someone else, beside I feel the need to talk when you are around.”

Noah felt his heart drop as he listened to her say that he would never be good enough. He didn't understand what she saw in Tristan, except the same thing he had seen in Aven. That wasn't love, not really. That was just being with a person that could be used and ignored at your will. Tristan may not have been a willing partner, but he was the same for Ayanna as Aven had been for Noah.

“Don't you think it's cruel to force him to be with you?”

She looked up into his eyes and gave a small nod. “I do, but I guess I am selfish too. When I am around him, I am not afraid that he'll hurt me like others have. I feel safe with him around, even if I don't know if he would protect me if I was in need. He's a comfortable place to be and I feel nervous now that he is gone, like I had been before he came.”

Noah watched as she looked back down at her cell phone. In some ways, he understood what she meant and in others he thought she was insane. Perhaps, he knew what it was like when Aven was around, but he was independent enough to know when the relationship was no longer beneficial. Ayanna didn't seem to understand the difference between dependence and love. She was very different from Autumn as much as she was the same, and he wondered if before he had only been looking for their similarities. In those moments, he felt his heart cool slightly toward her.

Lunch was the same every day, Aven didn't want to be locked away in the tent anymore so she and Tristan would eat with the rest of the group. Sometimes it was at a restaurant and other times it had been a catered meal, either way they always found themselves with several of the staff watching Tristan.

Sitting on the beach at a table, the cheap blue and white stripped umbrella blocking the sun, Tristan and Aven had a table to themselves. Like always people were watching him, mostly the staff, then whispering to each other. They thought originally that they were gossiping, but it turned out that most just wanted to figure out if it was alright to ask for his autograph. He wasn't a very approachable person and normally Aven would get the requests the moment she walked away from him. Tristan didn't seem to mind signing whatever they had brought, even though he seemed put out at times.

“Maybe you should just announce you'll sign whatever they want at lunch tomorrow, so we can get them all out of the way. I'm tired of being the circus freak.” Aven stabbed a vinegar soaked lettuce followed by a piece of chicken on her plate. “Maybe then you can get some peace.”

“They will eventually tire themselves out.”

Aven chewed her food briefly before speaking. “It's strange how all of them want your autograph, but whenever we go out people don't seem to recognize you.”

“First of all, I am old news to most people and they don't have me fresh on their minds. Second of all, out in public most people second guess themselves if they think it's me, while these people know it's me.” Tristan also ate the chicken salad that Aven had gotten, though he had wanted the steak. However, something compelled him to eat whatever she was. It felt most comfortable like it did at home.

She shrugged her shoulders and turned her head as a nice breeze blew across her face. The view of the beach was beautiful, and even though they couldn't get the whole area from the public, most people didn't want to wander into their area. It was like people saw that they were filming and just assumed that the beach was off limits.

“Hey.” A red headed beauty sat down at the table next to Tristan. Cathleen Rush was his co-star in the film and her face was very familiar. Aven assumed she was one of those working actors that you saw every where but had never really made a name for herself. She figured she would look her up on the internet, but always forgot by the time she made it to the hotel. “You two always seclude yourself.”

“Tristan prefers to eat in peace. He isn't much for socializing.” Aven could tell the woman had some interest in him, which she had heard was common for two actors who play lovers. Sometimes there would be a romantic interest in your co-star due to the heavy emotional burden of the film. Although, the two hadn't really started any of their scenes together yet, so she thought it couldn't be that.

Cathleen smiled with her ruby red lips that nearly matched the striking color of her hair. Her skin was milky white and when she was in her bikini, Aven couldn't see a single flaw in her skin. She was a true beauty. “I see.” She didn't seem to care when Aven answered instead of Tristan. “We don't have to start filming until noon tomorrow. I was thinking we could get some drinks tonight and get to know each other better.” Reaching out her hand, she tried to seductively run it over the top of Tristan's that was laying next to his plate on the table.

He pulled his hand away. “I have to rehearse tonight.”

“Oh, yes, the kissing scenes are giving you trouble. I heard.” She smiled. “I could help you out.”

“That would be a good idea.” Aven looked over at Tristan, who glared at her. “She's probably done her fair share...” She cut herself off realizing that he was her sister's boyfriend and that she was putting him in a room alone with a woman that obviously wanted him.

“No, but thank you. I'll work it out.” He replied and returned to eating his meal.

“Suit yourself.” Cathleen shrugged and began to eat herself. The daring woman remained at the table with them throughout lunch.

Dressed in a suit and tie, Jeremy knocked on the door and when no one responded, he used the doorbell. It took a couple moments, but eventually the door opened to reveal Noah. They recognized each other and seemed to pause awkwardly before finally settling into acknowledging each other.

“Oh, hello.” Noah began. “Aven isn't here, she won't be back for a couple months.”

“I know.” He smiled. “I am here for Ayanna.”

“Ayanna is out running errands.” Noah just wanted to get rid of the man and get back to his writing.

“I know, but she told me it was only for a moment and that I should head over here and just wait.” Jeremy grinned and when the other man showed no sign of stepping aside, he spoke again. “So, if you wouldn't mind letting me in.

With some hesitation, Noah stepped aside and allowed the man to enter. He slowly shut the door as he glared at the back of the stranger's head. “I guess you can wait in the living room or in here. You could watch television in there though.” He motioned toward the living room door.

Jeremy turned to face him with a smile and put his hands into his pockets. “Thanks, I'll wait here. Is that coffee fresh?”

Looking over his shoulder at the counter, he shrugged. “I have no idea. I make all my coffee upstairs, so this is Ayanna's brew.”

Making his way over to the cabinets, Jeremy easily found himself a mug and poured himself a cup. Noah noticed that he seemed very comfortable in the house. “It's fresh enough.”

“You seem to know your way around.”

Jeremy smiled his dimple filled smile again. “I used to be a regular visitor here, back before Mrs. Knowles and Curtis passed away. I was his close friend.”

Slowly nodding his head, Noah didn't really care but he needed to respond in some way. “Well, I'll be upstairs if you need me. The intercom is over there.” He quickly motioned toward it before heading toward his door.

“You are Noah, aren't you?” Jeremy sat down at the table and glared at Noah with his bright green inhuman eyes. “Aven told me a great deal about you.”

“All bad, I would think.” He wanted to make light of the situation, because he had no interest in arguing with this man about things that weren't his business.

Taking a sip of his coffee, he seemed to pause for dramatics. “If it was, then I wouldn't feel so uneasy around you. Let's put our cards on the table, shall we?”

Noah turned around to face the man entirely and crossed his arms. “Very well.”

“As I understand it, you only wanted Aven to sleep with her. Now, that it's all over and you no longer have anything to do with her, besides paying your rent. Is that correct?”

“It is.” He stepped forward and looked down at the man in front of him.

Jeremy gently nodded his head. “I, on the other hand, have been carrying a torch for her since she met Curtis. I didn't bother her or in any way attempt to destroy her relationship with him. Hell, the whole reason I moved away was to give them space before I did something stupid.” He took another sip of his coffee. “With that said, I expect you to give Aven a wide birth so that I'll be able to come in and do my worst. It's a win, win for both of us. You no longer have to deal with the burden of her feelings and I might be able to win those feelings. Are we clear?”

Noah couldn't figure out if this was a mature conversation that two men were having or if this man with the freakishly intimidating eyes was threatening him. “What you do with Aven is none of my concern. However, it's not me that you should be worried about. It's the man downstairs that's in love with her. The man that's going to be alone with her for the next couple of months.”

When Jeremy's cocky look disappeared, Noah felt satisfied and quickly made his escape. That was his victory, he decided.

Aven sat quietly in her tent while they finished up filming for the day. She laid on the cot with her legs stretched out and several pillows behind her back. There was no solid wall to lean against and the pillows were slowly causing her back to ache. Reading her book, she didn't hear the woman's voice asking if she could come in, but when the flap opened Aven looked up at the red headed beauty.

It was dark out and there were several lamps on in the tent running off a generator, but shadows were still cast over the room. Cathleen looked almost ghostly and Aven couldn't help but be slightly jealous of her beautiful image.

“I asked to come in but no one answered.” Cathleen told her as she made her way over to one of the fold out chairs to sit down.

“I was lost in my book.” She held it up for the other woman to see, before putting her bookmark in and setting it beside her on the bed.

Looking at the book, Cathleen smiled. “What is it called?”

“First Nothing. It's a book by Noah Hughes, it was on the best seller list a while back.”

The red head nodded her head. “Oh, you know what, I read that. Some talk show host, I can't remember who put it on her book list and it became popular briefly.” She shrugged her shoulders. “I didn't really like it. I found the author's voice difficult to get through.”

Aven grinned. “He's difficult in person as well.”

“Do you know him?”

“He's a tenant of mine.” She looked at the book beside her and then back to the actress. “Was there something you needed from me?”

“My assistant is away on an errand, but I am done for the day. Every one is still filming and I have all these clips in my hair to keep it in this bun. I was wondering if you could help me out and remove them?” She clasped her hands together as if she were begging as she bit her bottom lip.

“Sure.” Aven stood up from the cot and moved behind her to help pull the clips from her hair. “How many do you have in here?”

“It took them half an hour to do this, so heaven only knows.” Cathleen chuckled and fell silent as Aven worked. In truth, she was trying to figure out how to ask her about Tristan. Deciding that bluntness was her only method, she began to speak. “Is Tristan seeing someone?”

“Sort of.”

She sighed. “I have always had a passing interest in him. Maybe I just like the brooding type, but I can't help it. This girl is she nice?”

“She's my sister so I guess I have to say that she is.”

Cathleen felt embarrassment run through her system. “Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't...”

“It's fine. If Tristan wants to cheat or break up with her then there is nothing that I can do. He is his own person who makes his own choices. I always hated girls who thought they could force their boyfriends to not cheat somehow.” Aven knew she was in someway betraying the promise she had made to her sister, but she never really intended to keep it. If Tristan wanted to sneak out and meet a woman while she was sleeping then there was nothing she could do.

“Well, I don't plan on being a mistress or anything.” She winced when one of the clips pulled her hair. “I guess if it's meant to be, he and I will meet again someday.”

Aven smiled at her through the mirror in front of them. “You were very bold today at lunch, but you seem very nice now.”

She giggled. “I figured I really had to assert myself to a man like that, but I see that it was all in vain now. Don't worry, I am not the type to steal a man from another woman. Your sister is safe.”

“I never suspected you would and even if you did then that's Tristan's weakness, and he doesn't deserve my sister.”

Cathleen nodded. “I concur.” She gave a firm nod for dramatic effect.

“It's so boring and lonely over there.” Ayanna sat at the breakfast bar in Scott's kitchen. He had asked her to come over briefly to pick up some extra work. She held a blue folder in her hands as she watched him finish up his dinner for one. “You should come over more often while Tristan is away.”

Scott looked up from his pork katsu that was frying in a quarter inch of oil. “Why don't you come over here? It feels more comfortable for you to be around here than for me to be there.”

“You are just intimidated by my sister and she isn't there.” She teased, before she sighed and laid her head on the counter. “I miss Tristan.”

Scott had ulterior motives for inviting her over and the more she talked about Tristan the less courage he had. He had decided that no matter what he was going to tell her how he felt, as Tristan had shown him that the boy band member was a dead end street for her.

“Tristan told me that he doesn't have feelings for you.” He knew that was the wrong way to begin this conversation even before he had spoken the words.

Ayanna lifted her head. “Excuse me?”

“He says you are delusional and... I think his word was clingy, I am not certain.” He moved his fried meal to a plate, before going to the steamer to serve up his broccoli. When he turned around, he tried to avoid eye contact with the woman in front of him.

“Why... why would you tell me that?”

When he looked up at her, he could see that he had hurt her feelings. “Because it's the truth. You are sitting here longing for a man that wants nothing to do with you in front of a man that wants everything to do with you.”

Ayanna stood up from her stool. “I am going home now.” She spoke softly before trying to quickly make her escape.

Scott caught her arm once she was in front of the door. He turned her to face him. “I've been in love with you since high school. I let you have your relationships with other men, because that made you happy. I waited for you to get over whatever it was that Carlin did to you and as you slept around for rewards. I stood by you time after time when you have made bad decisions. To make you feel better and not worry, I date girls that I don't even care about so you won't worry that I am some hermit.”

“Enough, Scott. This isn't funny.” Ayanna kept her voice low but the venom was clearly heard.

He snorted. “You think I would use my feelings as a joke? Do you know how hard it has been to be in love with you? Sometimes I can't decide if it's the old you that I love and if I am just ignoring what you have become. I don't know what Carlin did, but does it really warrant you treating yourself like this? What could be so bad that you think you deserve to be treated like shit by this douche bag?”

“He is not a douche bag and I actually love him.” She snapped and yanked her arm away.

“No, you don't. He fulfills something in you that Aven did. There is no way in hell, the Ayanna that I know would allow her pride to be insulted in this way and no way she would allow some guy to treat her the way Tristan does.” He grabbed her arm again when she tried to turn away. “I love you, Ayanna. You always say how you want to find someone like me, well what the fuck is wrong with me? I have worked hard to make myself into something worthy of you. I could buy you almost anything you want and bonus I actually want to make you happy and love you. I don't just want to use you for sex and send you on your way with money to pay your phone bill.”

Ayanna glared up at him. She was at a loss for words and as she stared she watched as Scott leaned forward to kiss her. Instantly, she yanked away. “I want someone like you, but not you.” She knew she would regret speaking this next sentence, but she wanted him to hurt like she was. “No matter how much money you make or how kind you are to me, you are still that loser who kept getting thrown in the dumpster. I don't care if I am begging on the streets, you aren't good enough for me.” She laughed bitterly. “Do you really think I never noticed how pathetically in love with me you were? Get over it, Scott. It'll never happen.”

With that she turned and left the apartment. Scott was left standing with the pieces of his heart as he replayed her words over and over again in his mind.

“What did that girl want?” Tristan asked as they sat down at the table of a cheap family restaurant. The whole place smelled like barbecue and children were running through the aisles as the parents seemed to ignore their existence. The walls were covered with local sports memorabilia and the booths were green with light wood tables that had tiles on the top. Tristan picked up the menu and began to look over it so he could pretend that he wasn't that interested in Aven's answer.

“Who? Cathleen?” She shrugged her shoulders gently. “She wanted me to take clips out of her hair since her assistant was out on an errand.” Aven looked over the menu as well. “Also, she wanted to ask about your situation.”

“My situation?” He lifted an eyebrow and then turned his attention to a young toddler who tripped next to his booth. The mother came over quickly and picked the young boy up before taking him back to where the family was seated.

Aven waited to answer until the short interruption was over. “When I told her you had a girlfriend, she said she wouldn't try to steal you away. Maybe I'll try something more hearty tonight. I've been eating a lot of salads and I think I might be ready to make the first step.” She looked up at Tristan. “You won't tell Ayanna, right?”

He made a motion as if he were zipping up his lips and then quickly threw the imaginary key away. She giggled and returned to looking over the menu.

“What are you going to have?” Aven asked after a few seconds.

“Probably one of their burgers. Some of the staff were saying how good this place was for that.” He took a deep breath. “I like jalapeños, so I might get the jalapeño burger.”

“You like spicy food?” Aven seemed surprised. “I wouldn't take you for the type. You seem more like a sweets person to me, but maybe that's because you have a bit of a baby face.”

He slowly shook his head; amused by her comment. “What about you?”

“Well, if this place has good burgers, maybe I'll try one.”

Tristan watched as she looked over the menu. Her eyes moved cautiously over the words as she prepared herself for another step in her life. He felt special being able to be here for her during this time. It was an important milestone for her and forever in her memory it will be Tristan who was there when she took this step.

The last few days had been a dream for him. Whenever they took a break from filming, she was there to talk to and whenever they ate, she was there to eat with. In the evenings, they would eat out and it was like they were on a date. They would both go back to the same hotel and because he was so tired, he wouldn't be able to stay up with her to watch a movie, but she was still next door. Every where he turned Aven was there to look at. He was lucky that she had been asked to stay in the tent, otherwise he may have just stared at her instead of acting. Now, he tried his best to get their scenes done so he could hurry to see her.

“I need to rehearse those kissing scenes. Would you be opposed to helping me?” Tristan asked the question before he really thought over the consequences. When Aven looked up at him questioningly, he quickly added. “I am not going to actually kiss you or anything. I just need someone to help me get over the proximity thing. If I can move passed that then I can probably do the kissing just fine.”

Aven nodded her head. “Alright, but remember I have my own issues with people invading my space. I'm only doing this for you because it's my job.” She smiled widely. “I like saying that. I think because this actually feels like a real job. Speaking of which, am I doing alright? Do you want to ask me to better something? I'm willing to listen to suggestions.”

Tristan tried not to smirk at how cute he thought she looked with her worried eyes. “No, I think every thing is going fine.”

“Well, if anything comes up, don't hesitate to tell me. While we are here, I am not your landlady, I am your assistant. Ok?” She tapped the table with the tips of her middle and index fingers.

“I understand.”

Scott was not in the mood for visitors and tried to ignore the doorbell, but whoever the person was had been insistant. Walking to the front door in the narrow hallway of his apartment, he looked through the peep hole. Instantly, the loathing for whomever the person was that would dare bother him disappeared. He flung open the door, smiled, and opened his arms out wide.

“Jeremy!” The two briefly hugged. “What the hell are you doing back?” He moved aside to allow the other man in, before ushering him to his living room where they sat on the beige leather couch.

“Sorry, I didn't call to let you know. Things have been a little hectic, and besides I thought Ayanna would tell you.” He leaned back on the couch and grinned.

“No, she didn't say anything.” Scott didn't want to discuss her.

Jeremy and he had become friends while Curtis was still alive. The two were often at the house to see their appointed Knowles girl, and soon Scott was pulled briefly into a friendship with the two men. It lasted only a year before Curtis' untimely death, but it was the first time that Scott had ever really hung out with guys before.

“I just came from the house.” Jeremy told him referring to Aven and Ayanna's home. That was what they had always called it amongst each other. “Ayanna was upset and she briefly told me what happened. I can't believe you got the courage up to say something and how you picked the most utterly stupid and wrong way.”

He rolled his eyes and threw his back against the couch. “Please don't make me relive my shame, man. We haven't seen each other in years, I am sure there are other things to discuss.” Scott quickly sat back up. “Like what you are planning to do now that you are back?”

“Work mostly. Bought a house out here, and...”

“I meant with Aven.”

Jeremy had forgotten that one drunken night, he had admitted to the man his feelings for his best friend's girlfriend.

“I know it's been a long time, so are you over her?”

He crossed his arms. “We can't talk about your unrequited love, but mine is free game, is it?” He sighed. “I'm pretty sure I am going to take the chance once she comes back.”

Scott rested his elbows on his knees, folded his hands together, and sighed. “Was she really upset? Like was she crying or was she just pissed?”

“She looked like she had been crying, but by the time she got to me there was just rage.” Jeremy looked at the glass of red wine on the coffee table. “Can I get one of those?”

He looked at the glass his friend pointed at and gave a nod. “That was the last of this bottle. Do you want red or white?”

“You got anything a little more manly?”

Scott glared at him briefly like he was insane. “This place is loaded with alcohol. Do I have something more manly.” He mocked. “What do you want?”

“Anything on the rocks.” Jeremy continued to lean against the back of the couch as he watched his friend get up to fetch him something. “This place looks awesome man. Looks like you are doing well for yourself.” He raised his voice so his friend could hear him.

“Yeah,” Scott spoke from the kitchen. “Ayanna practically designed the whole apartment.”

“Letting her nest without letting her realize it?” Jeremy chuckled.

Scott returned and offered him a glass of a brown liquid with ice. “Figure out the brand and type and I'll give you a hundred bucks.”

“And if I lose?”

“You have to drink more.” He smirked as he sat back down on the couch beside his friend.

The small room was filled with the sounds of the clicking of keyboard keys as Noah was in a fury to finish up the last of his novel. He would send it over to Camille for approval and then get to work on the next one. He hadn't written a word of his own novel since he and Aven had stopped their relationship. Whenever he tried, it almost felt like there was no point.

In those moments however as he wrote, there was nothing else in the world. Aven nor Ayanna existed in the world he was creating one word at a time. He may have thought the worlds were beneath him but at least they provided some sort of escape. That was his favorite reason for writing; the escape it always offered to him.

As he wrote the final sentence, he quickly looked over the last few pages before smiling. “All done! Let's get some wine to celebrate.” He turned on his chair to look at the empty bed. “Or... not. Because you aren't here, are you?”

Noah realized what he was saying out loud and shook his head, before standing up and grabbing his cell phone. He found the number he was looking for in the menu and placed it to his hear. “Hey Camille. Good news, I finished the book just now.”

“That's great, darling. Send it to me and I'll look it over.” She sounded rushed. “I'll talk to you then, I have a guest over right now. Bye.”

The phone line went dead and Noah was once again left alone. He decided to head downstairs and see if Ayanna was in the kitchen. Finally something went his way. She was sitting at the table with a glass of wine and what looked like a romance novel.

“Reading in here?” Noah asked as he walked over to the table.

Ayanna smiled sadly up at him. He remembered hearing her raving a bit to her guest once she got home, but he didn't listen in too much to find out what had happened. “Sitting in the living room is weird because it's Aven's area, and the bedroom around this time I am usually talking to a friend. I am not calling him tonight, so I feel awkward in there by myself.” She sighed. “Why can't men be like the ones in these novels? Strong and handsome. They always know the perfect thing to say.” She held up the book and Noah recognized it as one of his own. He didn't know if she realized it or not, so he decided not to say anything.

She sighed once more. “These novels give me a lot of hope. I know it's silly, but I don't care. I think they keep a lot of the hopeless company.”

Noah felt himself somewhat sickened by what Ayanna was saying as he didn't believe that they were good literature in the least. Most of the time, it was an overbearing man forcing himself on a woman and making all the decisions for her. He dared any man to treat the majority of the romance genre readers like that. He was certain that man would end up with several kicks to the groin.

“Something bothering you?” Noah fetched himself a wine glass and bottle of wine before sitting down at the table with her.

“This house is really empty and lonely without Tristan and Aven, isn't it? I don't know how Aven and I lived here without you guys.” She set her book on the table and took a sip from her glass. “Scott told me he is in love with me and that Tristan told him I was a psycho.”

Opening his bottle, Noah pressed his lips together. “Seems an inappropriate way to express his feelings for you.”

“Right?” She stared at the golden liquid in her glass. “I can't believe he is such an insensitive ass. Did he think saying that to me would make me realize how much Tristan doesn't care for me and that I would just fling myself into his arms?”

“It's hard to say.”

Ayanna added a third sigh. “I miss Tristan even if he is an asshole to me. Right now, I would be snuggled up on the couch with him; bothering him with stupid questions about the movie.” She smiled gently. “I really liked that he always answered the questions and never told me to shut up. I really miss him.”

The budget was too tight to afford them any lavish hotel room, so what they both got was rooms with two queen mattresses and a television. Aven entered into Tristan's room that looked exactly like her own. Floral patterned bed spread with a somewhat matching wall paper. The room smelt like mold and dust, but that seemed to be a reoccurring scent in most hotels she had visited.

“What are you doing about school while you are filming?” Aven asked as Tristan shut the door behind her.

“I haven't been going for a while now. I just don't see the point really.” He walked passed her and the bathroom door then sat down on the end of the bed. In his hand was the movie script and he began to look it over.

“So, why are you so bothered with kissing beautiful women with no strings attached?” Aven sat down on the bed beside him.

He continued to look at the script in his hands. Tristan felt awkward to have her in his hotel room. “I dislike people invading my personal space, and I've had trouble with women in the past.”

“Because of your problem, right?” She scooted further away from him when she realized how close she was sitting.

Tristan looked up at her. “I had forgotten that you were told about that. It's not because of that, I can't do it because I feel awkward. All I think about is that person near me and how uncomfortable they make me. Then thoughts of all those years I was teased come up and that gets added into my head to the point that I just freeze up.”
She slowly nodded her head. “I think I understand. You are thinking too much about the person being with you at all and then worrying about how they might tease you afterward.” Aven cleared her throat. “So the solution is to just stop thinking and just react.”

“Easier said than done.” He returned to looking over the script.

Aven grabbed the papers from his hand and tossed them behind her on the bed. She quickly moved closer to him so that their thighs were touching. Grabbing his hands in her own, she looked him directly in the eyes. “Uncomfortable?”

He was but for an entirely different reason. The simple act of swallowing gave Aven her answer.

Moving her face in closer, she waited. “Just sit there with it and eventually it'll stop. The worst part of fear is all the build up that the mind creates, but afterwards it's not nearly as bad as you thought it would be.”

Tristan jumped to his feet, but Aven was quick to follow. “Don't run or else you'll never be able to face your problem.” She turned him to face her again.

“This isn't working.” He informed her after a couple of seconds. “Besides this is just standing close to someone. In the scene, I have her shoved against a wall, her leg over my hip, and I am kissing her.”

Aven held onto his hands and pushed herself against the wall before pulling him in closer. She lifted her leg and forced him to grab it to keep her steady. “Better?”

“Not really.” Tristan couldn't decide if she was really trying to help him or if she was just teasing him. Could she really know how he felt about her and this was just a game? His lips were barely an inch away from hers and his heart was racing. He didn't dislike it when Aven invaded his personal space, but she was the only one. If she really didn't know how he felt, then she didn't understand that this exercise was futile.

At least, he thought so until all he could think about was the way her hair draped her face and how beautiful her eyes were.

“Is your anxiety starting to go down? My leg is falling asleep.” Aven asked after several minutes of holding the position.

Tristan dropped her leg but before she could move away, he grabbed her face within his hands and began to kiss her. His mouth opened to deepen the kiss and to his surprise Aven responded. She held tightly to his shirt as he nudged her mouth open and allowed their tongues to dance.

After what seemed like eternity, Aven pushed him away gently. “Well, obviously you are doing better.” She cleared her throat, uncertain of what to say. “I'm... I'm going to go to my room now. Goodnight.”